Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,600 members, 7,816,492 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) (31866 Views)

Poll: Do you support the public posting of these pictures?

Yes: it's the reality!: 90% (233 votes)
No: we must pretend!: 9% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / 10 Unbelievable Photos Of Lagos You Will Mistake For London / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Abedisi(m): 8:18pm On Dec 06, 2007
This are my own pics of Lagos that i taught was bad,

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by uspry1(f): 8:20pm On Dec 06, 2007
Why you feel ashamed showing those pictures public? Nothing wrong with showing poverty pictures.

I have seen MANY MANY MANY GHETTOS/SLUMS everywhere in other foreign countries including USA displaying their poverty pictures online.

GOOGLE! GOOGLE! GOOGLE!

More posts!!!!
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by 9ja4eva: 8:22pm On Dec 06, 2007
Not funny @ all.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by uspry1(f): 8:30pm On Dec 06, 2007
These are found at google:

Niger Delta
[img]http://www.amnesty.ca/take_action/actions/images/nigeria_niger_delta.jpg[/img]

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Abedisi(m): 8:32pm On Dec 06, 2007
more

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Abedisi(m): 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2007
more

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Abedisi(m): 8:39pm On Dec 06, 2007
More

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 06, 2007
me I don't understand the one about the woman and child in a wheelbarrow
Has she no legs or are wheel barrows now means of human transport in Lagos?
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 8:42pm On Dec 06, 2007
shreks:

What i would like to know is the motive behind the pasting of these photographs. Is it to make Nigerians look bad, to stir an uproar or cause a change. Cause i don't see the point.
I started the thread to let Nigerians and the world know how horrible the situation is in the mist of abundant resources. We are not asking for much, Basic things like roads, portable water and electricity. Other things will follow.
If this will cause a change, fine. That is what we are all praying for.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Abedisi(m): 8:43pm On Dec 06, 2007
moreeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Outstrip(f): 9:10pm On Dec 06, 2007
Kind of makes me sad to see those young people that if given the opportunity they would be anywhere else but there. In a place like Nigeria and the way it is right now, most of them will probably not get the opportunity to succeed.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 06, 2007
at peteroby, myopic and senseless statement about the yorubas, God help you
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by osmanbello(m): 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2007
Do not blame god, do not blame tribes, you need to look inside your own souls to find the answers to this problem.

Below is a image of shame for the prostitute's of Lagos for the world to see

Do you want more
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 10:13pm On Dec 06, 2007
Do you want more
Yes we want more.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ifyalways(f): 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2007
more pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by osmanbello(m): 10:27pm On Dec 06, 2007
This one sums it all up with my own thoughts of the problem not only in Lagos but Niger itself

Oil fouls everything in southern Nigeria. It spills from the pipelines, poisoning soil and water. It stains the hands of politicians and generals, who siphon off its profits. It taints the ambitions of the young, who will try anything to scoop up a share of the liquid riches—fire a gun, sabotage a pipeline, kidnap a foreigner.

Nigeria had all the makings of an uplifting tale: poor African nation blessed with enormous sudden wealth. Visions of prosperity rose with the same force as the oil that first gushed from the Niger Delta's marshy ground in 1956. The world market craved delta crude, a "sweet," low-sulfur liquid called Bonny Light, easily refined into gasoline and diesel. By the mid-1970s, Nigeria had joined OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries), and the government's budget bulged with petrodollars.

Everything looked possible—but everything went wrong.

Dense, garbage-heaped slums stretch for miles. Choking black smoke from an open-air slaughterhouse rolls over housetops. Streets are cratered with potholes and ruts. Vicious gangs roam school grounds. Peddlers and beggars rush up to vehicles stalled in gas lines. This is Port Harcourt, Nigeria's oil hub, capital of Rivers state, smack-dab in the middle of oil reserves bigger than the United States' and Mexico's combined. Port Harcourt should gleam; instead, it rots.

Beyond the city, within the labyrinth of creeks, rivers, and pipeline channels that vein the delta—one of the world's largest wetlands—exists a netherworld. Villages and towns cling to the banks, little more than heaps of mud-walled huts and rusty shacks. Groups of hungry, half-naked children and sullen, idle adults wander dirt paths. There is no electricity, no clean water, no medicine, no schools. Fishing nets hang dry; dugout canoes sit unused on muddy banks. Decades of oil spills, acid rain from gas flares, and the stripping away of mangroves for pipelines have killed off fish.

Nigeria has been subverted by the very thing that gave it promise—oil, which accounts for 95 percent of the country's export earnings and 80 percent of its revenue. In 1960, agricultural products such as palm oil and cacao beans made up nearly all Nigeria's exports; today, they barely register as trade items, and Africa's most populous country, with 130 million people, has gone from being self-sufficient in food to importing more than it produces. Because its refineries are constantly breaking down, oil-rich Nigeria must also import the bulk of its fuel. But even then, gas stations are often closed for want of supply. A recent United Nations report shows that in quality of life, Nigeria rates below all other major oil nations, from Libya to Indonesia. Its annual per capita income of $1,400 is less than that of Senegal, which exports mainly fish and nuts. The World Bank categorizes Nigeria as a "fragile state," beset by risk of armed conflict, epidemic disease, and failed governance.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by mashaun(m): 7:57am On Dec 10, 2007
The yorubas should be held responsible for the whole mess in Lagos

why ?
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by gee2(m): 8:59am On Dec 10, 2007
how pathetic and gory, well we need to pray for our dear country cos it's still ours and lets play our part on development
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by xerxes79(m): 12:53pm On Dec 10, 2007
guy good job joooooooooooooooo
i dont when all this is going to end.they keeping ridibng us like donkeys that do the whole job but gets little to eat.not only lagos nigeria generally.
u can imagine wot has been happeing to eldectricity this last month our hear don nearly block 4rm generrators.our leaders av really failed us.
God plese help us
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by folahann(m): 8:45pm On Dec 10, 2007
mashaun:

The yorubas should be held responsible for the whole mess in Lagos

why ?
Keep on the Good job.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Nobody: 5:18am On Dec 11, 2007
Those women are not prostitutes.
They were innocent women rounded up by policemen on heat.
Many were said to be university undergraduates and ordinary housewives.

Look at the one on the left with wrapper across her chest,does she look like a prostitute?
She looks like a housewife,an ordinary mama Emeka perhaps walking across to buy akara and ogi for the kids and got caught up in a big mess.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ademiller(f): 10:40am On Dec 11, 2007
And do u guys know wat baffles me the most? u feel u r disgracing fashola and all that but unknown to u guys ur disgracing ur country AND URSELVES. for once in ur lives have pity on Nigeria becos no matter what u say or do or how many pictures u load up here,this goddamed demons dont Give a 4uck, they aint gonna open this site or read this post. look here guys many foreign people r also havin access into this nairaland, u r really disgracing this country. pls guys load pics of the beautiful parts of Nigeria.the solution to this country's predicament i believe is in the hands of the almighty and us Nigerians NOT LOADIN PICS AND MAKIN THE WHOLE WORLD HAVE FURTHER DISTASTE OF YOUR COUNTRY. And as for the nigerian lady saying God bless America, i as a proud African and Nigerian for that matter i say GOD BLESS NIGERIA AND AFRICA ONE MILLION TIMES.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 12:21pm On Dec 11, 2007
@Egin
I strongly believe we should come 2geda to salvage what we can n not post these shots that depict that nothing good is happening downtown.

There is no book that is so bad that it has nothing Good in it.

What do u intend to achieve by posting this pics cos i no dt Pat Etteh isnt interested.

1.I put it 2u, ow much was spent on renovating\ and maintaining the speaker's apartment in the country where u reside.

2.As a student of history, i no dt there are many unseen disasters (Natural and Man-made)lurking around most civilized countries that should give u cos to post such info and pics for us to be wary of than show us a relic that the C. of O. has been revoked and area cordoned off from the public.

3.The cart-pusher is making a living and one day will own his own re-cycling plant if he dares to Dream.He is not engaged in SHOOTING spree at his peers in school as we see on CNN. U no see dt abi

4.U ought to write to the local govt. where the debris is situated.If u notice that no action was taken. Then u float an N.G.O. dt will be funded by U TO CLEAR THE DEBRIS under the FLY-OVER.
with these approach u will turn that site to EGIN RHODE ISLAND.Ur name will be Immortalized.

5.There are beggars on major highways all over the world.Abi dem no dey 4ur end. Thru public n private participation we can reduce but cannot eradicate them cos the holy books sef ackowledge say they will be in our midst and must cater for there needs.Do u av any plans to alleviate their suffering abi na govt. go do am

6.The young guys u posted there are part of the future generation of leaders. It is left to U n I to assist in educating them or else they will become M.D. of the Underworld.N will come around to intimidate us with those thns.

I remain resolute dt na we fit make Nigeria GOOD. not only the govt. and not bypostn abyss of penury pics from afar.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by babadee(m): 12:27pm On Dec 11, 2007
ademiller:

And do u guys know what baffles me the most? u feel you're disgracing fashola and all that but unknown to u guys your disgracing your country AND URSELVES. for once in your lives have pity on Nigeria because no matter what u say or do or how many pictures u load up here,this goddamed demons don't Give a 4uck, they aint going to open this site or read this post. look here guys many foreign people r also havin access into this nairaland, you're really disgracing this country. please guys load pics of the beautiful parts of Nigeria.the solution to this country's predicament i believe is in the hands of the almighty and us Nigerians NOT LOADIN PICS AND MAKIN THE WHOLE WORLD HAVE FURTHER DISTASTE OF YOUR COUNTRY. And as for the nigerian lady saying God bless America, i as a proud African and Nigerian for that matter i say GOD BLESS NIGERIA AND AFRICA ONE MILLION TIMES.

at times, people use patriotism to blind themselves from the good that can be done by washing your dirty laundry in public. just call a spade a spade and work on getting a pneumaitic drill.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ozallaben: 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2007
Remembering situations like this doesn't make me wanna come back home, I better do with the cold. Ben
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by seguno2: 1:47pm On Dec 11, 2007
Na wah for us oh! Oyinbo pple dey wash dem dirty laundry correct correct for public make dem leaders for do something, dat no be our case. Na to sweep d thing under carpet, make dirty for join dirty more more embarassed
I am sure we can hardly imagine that a large part of London had cholera epidemic just 150 years ago or that Oliver Twist novel was set in that same place where we all (oga & acting oga) dey rush carry money go. Dia wey dem go pay you pittance interest and charge u correct tax take develop dem country again embarassed
Meanwhile our brothers & sisters dey yawn for under bridge. When we wan wise up
Oga herbsman,

I sure say u dion start yourself on some of those lovely, practical suggestions on participatory development, abi no be so
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 5:14pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ ozallaben
Dont come back. U wl beg for an entry visa to enter Nigeria when the time comes.
Why should u base ur judgement on pics seen here.This does not project the entirety of happenings around.

I av trained my eyes over the years to see opportunities in setbacks. If u meditate well.

@seguno2
On my street i usually organize the children to clean up the enviroment and gv them family support.Why should i wait for the council or fashola govt. to do that.

Also, i teach them how to sew when am back from the office.Av taught them how to complain less and contribute more.

We need to contribute our energy collectively to assist ourselves.No government fit do am alone.So make all the Gani and Kenyamu keep quite. We must all learn to lament and provide Solution.Shikena.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by seguno2: 6:39pm On Dec 11, 2007
herbsman:

So make all the Gani and Kenyamu keep quite. We must all learn to lament and provide Solution.Shikena.

That is the spirit, make we provide solution AND still complain because na our name (census) dem take dey go collect dis money for Abuja. Or do you think they will give any money if Lagos dey empty, uninhabited, we all decide comot patapata
We need critics like Gani, Keyamo, Falana, You, Myself etc to make the government for always be on dem toes and that is one of our main problems- no credible opposition. Everybody na AGIP- Any Govt. In Power. angry
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by topkin(m): 7:26pm On Dec 11, 2007
It's so sad to see the once shiny lagos now a slum. Then wen FESTAC was in its glorious state, I was so proud to associate myslf wit it, bt its so mch of a refuse dump now - can u believe we had swimming pools then! O! Wat a shame!

God help us. cry
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ademiller(f): 7:39pm On Dec 11, 2007
babadee:

at times, people use patriotism to blind themselves from the good that can be done by washing your dirty laundry in public. just call a spade a spade and work on getting a pneumaitic drill.

wat am i sayin that u are saying? tell me how many solutions have u urself offered, talk less of our so called leaders. this is not a matter of patriotism but the real thing, get over it, nothing can be done for now until we work together and pray to God for a better Nigeria.im just being real.abroad they r doin things themselves, here in nigeria we r waiting for leaders and manna. yes post the pics and at the end of the day all these will b forgotten by u, no solution rendered watsoever. I LOVE NAIJA, we r even better than d so called abroad who will use tax and kill the citizens. tongue
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2007
I av noticed that most of the present generation of Nigerians below 45years, are too critical of govt at all levels.

I agree that their impact is not being felt and chop n quench na dem corporate Logo.These trend no longer shocks me and I will advice we close our eyes to Lamentation without a concise, pro-active solution.

Our Gurus from fields of sciences$humanities must continue to relocate back home to share knowlegde n experience acquired in their respective fields.This will foster economic growth and development.

We av seen the exodus of Soludo,Iweala from the U.S.n many more who are working on n behind the stage to re-engineer Nigeria.
the efforts av paid off.They too lamented n took part in the on-going reconstruction process.

Egin dey feel like Mungo Park(who we paddled to show the RIVER NIGER).The pics are not educating n am not shying away from the reality.He is mocking his heritage.

A balanced array of pics would av been acceptable.Whereby, he shows the Good,the Bad n the Ugly n leave us to make our judgement. Every country has a ghetto that is worse off than the pics shown up there.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 6:03am On Dec 12, 2007
Nigeria as a country that needs total turnaround and there is very little that poor individuals can do.
The turnaround will be spearheaded by the government through the provision of basic infrastructures like roads, electricity and water. It is then that we can start inviting people home and abroad to contribute their quota. This is the fact. Nigeria is a very rich country even with our population which I think is even a blessing. We need to acknowledge that we have problems, Identify the problems after then think of how to solve the problems.

See what other oil rich nations with visionary leaders are doing with their money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Heavy Food In Benin City After Today's Rainfall (Photos) / Passengers Robbed Mid-Air On-board A South African Airways Flight / Air Niugini Plane Lands In The Ocean, Overshoots Runway In Micronesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.