Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Should Nigeria Be Divided? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Be Divided? (28893 Views)

b / Should Nigeria Be Divided Into North And South Separate Countries Like Sudan? / NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by onyinye2(f): 8:42pm On Sep 16, 2008
Planner:

Chei! Onye wu onye iberibe. grin
Ara na gba gu.
I di njo. grin
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 8:43pm On Sep 16, 2008
@planner

am so sure u re quotesyste just camouflaging
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Planner(m): 8:45pm On Sep 16, 2008
@planner

am so sure u re quotesyste just camouflaging

I am not. Go through some of my post, I am one and the same planner.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bawomolo(m): 11:29pm On Sep 16, 2008
i believe planner and quotastyle are different people in the same subgroup. we definitely won't be seeing quotastyle anytime soon after he got embarrassed lately. for the people screaming nigeria be divided, who would demarcate the borders??
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 11:45pm On Sep 16, 2008
Planner / Quotesyste
Two side of the same coin, both represent an extreme case of mental delusion, claiming to be what they are not.

lets get back to the real topic:
Does anybody knows of any country that has ever broke up on peace?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bawomolo(m): 11:49pm On Sep 16, 2008
czechoslovakia, serbia and montenegro
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2008
India used to include Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Look at India's economy, it's booming, and Pakistan is coming up as we speak. Bangladesh is quietly climbing up the ranks too. Not saying Nigeria should follow their exact path, I'm just putting it out there. . . . . . . . .
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Planner(m): 7:50am On Sep 17, 2008
lets get back to the real topic:
Does anybody knows of any country that has ever broke up on peace?

bilymuse, you are fool. Trying to break up peacefully is impossible, when there is so much at a stake. Why in Jesus name will the rest of the country want th e south south and south east to go peacefully, they they are they are the geese that lay the golden egg?

when Biafra wanted to go their separate way the other Nigerians did not agree then, fast ward nearly forty years later the same Nigerian are wishing that Nigeria break up. My conclusion: Igbo people and Ojukwu are the heroes.

Finally, I can see that any body that do not agree to you bunch of rascal (bilymuse, yemysee etc) the person will be termed nuts. I have got news for you. We are the emerging majority both in Nigeria and Nairaland.

Hypocrisy will be dethroned, Igbos will defeat their eternal enemies and there will one final Just war between Igbos and their enemies. How wish we succeeded. We would have become the greatest black nation on this planet. do not worry it is never too late. Anu mpam.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2008
Mr Planner
bilymuse, you are fool. Trying to break up peacefully is impossible, when there is so much at a stake. Why in Jesus name will the rest of the country want th e south south and south east to go peacefully, they they are they are the geese that lay the golden egg?

why do you take delight in this unprovoked attack on my person. From my posting so far you can be sure that my intelligence is at par with other homo sapien and far ahead of "Anu mpam". Stating the fact and telling the truth has become a big problem on this thread. That is how you "Jews" or "Jews like" killed Jesus Christ because he was telling the truth.

You must respect people you meet in the market because: "anyi nwe ike ibu nnwanne"
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 1:58pm On Sep 17, 2008
Planner
My conclusion: Igbo people and Ojukwu are the heroes.

The heroes of the Biafra war are the ordinary folks who fought and die for what they believe in, sorry Ojukwu is not among. Probably , his one of the reason they lost the war.

Among the very few people who understood Ojukwu is Mr Onoh. The guy was vehemently opposed to Ojukwu marrying his daughter because he new Ojukwu is a shameless selfish coward old man. Though Bianca seems infactuated by Ojukwu just like other deluded young Ibo chap , who think his a hero. Ewu, tufiakwa anu mpam.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Gamine(f): 2:04pm On Sep 17, 2008
How can the igbo talk of Biafran Heroes??

Nonsensical.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by tpia: 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2008
Planner:

when Biafra wanted to go their separate way the other Nigerians did not agree then, fast ward nearly forty years later the same Nigerian are wishing that Nigeria break up. My conclusion: Igbo people and Ojukwu are the heroes.

Finally, I can see that any body that do not agree to you bunch of rascal (bilymuse, yemysee etc) the person will be termed nuts. I have got news for you. We are the emerging majority both in Nigeria and Nairaland.

Hypocrisy will be dethroned, Igbos will defeat their eternal enemies and there will one final Just war between Igbos and their enemies. How wish we succeeded. We would have become the greatest black nation on this planet. do not worry it is never too late. Anu mpam.

sorry o!!!!!!!!

You sound more like a Nazi than a Jew! Check Hitler's speeches (as far as your reading and comprehension will let you).

Illiteracy is not good. Half baked moronic three quarter illiterates like you are even worse!
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2008
I have been following the discussions on this topic up to this point.

To those who think that Non-Oil Producing Countries like Arewa will not survive if it becomes Independent. I would like to remind them that even though with the Oil in the Niger Area, what benefit is it bringing to the Poor People called Nigerians? Basically Nothing, because we are still not enjoying Free Health care, Free Education, Good Roads, Stable Electricity, Nothing. Amidst, only the so called Nigerian Leaders and their gangs are enjoying the Oil Money.

Do you know that Kano State alone is generating 1.2 Billion Naira Monthly on Local Revenue alone?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by ssRhino: 3:35pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87:

I have been following the discussions on this topic up to this point.

To those who think that Non-Oil Producing Countries like Arewa will not survive if it becomes Independent. I would like to remind them that even though with the Oil in the Niger Area, what benefit is it bringing to the Poor People called Nigerians? Basically Nothing, because we are still not enjoying Free Health care, Free Education, Good Roads, Stable Electricity, Nothing. Amidst, only the so called Nigerian Leaders and their gangs are enjoying the Oil Money.

Do you know that Kano State alone is generating 1.2 Billion Naira Monthly on Local Revenue alone?

Do all the Oil belts sef enjoy all the good stuff, theya re with most of the unemployment rate in Nigeria, but then, they are mostly employed now with kidnapping and ransom demands.
Infact, i think they shd be allowed to break away and let us see how long it will take for them to last.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 4:31pm On Sep 17, 2008
$$Rhino:

Do all the Oil belts sef enjoy all the good stuff, theya re with most of the unemployment rate in Nigeria, but then, they are mostly employed now with kidnapping and ransom demands.
Infact, i think they should be allowed to break away and let us see how long it will take for them to last.

You are Correct, when ever I see the kind of suffering the people of Niger Delta are having, I nearly cry with tears, because I know more than 60% of those suffering are blaming us Northerners for the suffering, while we are also suffering, so it is highly desirable to let the People either have 100% control of their resources or separate from the other parts of the country to become Independent. This will bring an end to the blame on Northerners for their suffering.

I think Diplomacy will lead to their Independence, but with Violence, we are not going anywhere, because there are some people benefiting hugely from the Violence, they will not like the Violence to end, they like the Violence to exist for ever in the region, because they are benefiting.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by ssRhino: 4:40pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87:

You are Correct, when ever I see the kind of suffering the people of Niger Delta are having, I nearly cry with tears, because I know more than 60% of those suffering are blaming us Northerners for the suffering, while we are also suffering, so it is highly desirable to let the People either have 100% control of their resources or separate from the other parts of the country to become Independent. This will bring an end to the blame on Northerners for their suffering.

I think Diplomacy will lead to their Independence, but with Violence, we are not going anywhere, because there are some people benefiting hugely from the Violence, they will not like the Violence to end, they like the Violence to exist for ever in the region, because they are benefiting.

Yes oh, maybe i shd stop going against the seperation and let everyone go their own way, but my question is which country will lay claim of lagos? and would anyone be allowed to take anything out of it?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by DRANOEL(m): 4:45pm On Sep 17, 2008
most of you guys are lousy economist,if the country should break up today the part that will be most affected is the west! and you know why? without oil lagos will collapse and the effect of this collapse will be heart breaking. our economy is 90% dependent on oil which means most people are in lagos are there for economic gains,in the advent of a break up,port harchout will assume this status and most companies currently in lagos will now shift to port including banks etc. taxes which  some might want you to believe will sustain lagos will also become a port harchout thing, the ports in lagos will experience little traffic as all will be focused on port harchout(remember benin republic survives solely on nigeria's economy). the west will be faced with a huge task to maintain lagos infrastructure where as the others will be building on what they have. it is not the north that will suffer but the west
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by tpia: 4:54pm On Sep 17, 2008
DRANOEL:

most of you guys are lousy economist,if the country should break up today the part that will be most affected is the west! and you know why? without oil lagos will collapse and the effect of this collapse will be heart breaking. our economy is 90% dependent on oil which means most people are in lagos are there for economic gains,in the advent of a break up,port harchout will assume this status and most companies currently in lagos will now shift to port including banks etc. taxes which  some might want you to believe will sustain lagos will also become a port harchout thing, the ports in lagos will experience little traffic as all will be focused on port harchout(remember benin republic survives solely on nigeria's economy). the west will be faced with a huge task to maintain lagos infrastructure where as the others will be building on what they have. it is not the north that will suffer but the west

not true.

Lagos and Port harcourt are not competing.

Any port anywhere is always important regardless of location. there are ports all over the west African coast- they arent disturbing each other.

Lagos is in the west, Port harcourt is in the east. Go figure. The ports will serve their respective localities.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 17, 2008
DRANOEL:

most of you guys are lousy economist,if the country should break up today the part that will be most affected is the west! and you know why? without oil lagos will collapse and the effect of this collapse will be heart breaking. our economy is 90% dependent on oil which means most people are in lagos are there for economic gains,in the advent of a break up,port harchout will assume this status and most companies currently in lagos will now shift to port including banks etc. taxes which  some might want you to believe will sustain lagos will also become a port harchout thing, the ports in lagos will experience little traffic as all will be focused on port harchout(remember benin republic survives solely on nigeria's economy). the west will be faced with a huge task to maintain lagos infrastructure where as the others will be building on what they have. it is not the north that will suffer but the west

Very funny . . . considering the fact that Lagos is the hub for virtually ALL the oil companies, is home to Nigeria's non-oil sector of the economy and has two very improtant trading ports . . . to claim that it will collapse without oil is incredulous.
Lagos state generated N31.48bn alone in the first quarter of 2008 . . . with not a single drop of oil!

The ports in lagos will experience little traffic? Is all the traffic at the ports oil-related?  shocked How then are the Beninoise and the Ghanaians having thriving ports when they dont depend on oil?

Lets face it Dranoel, NO city with access to the sea will suffer without oil revenue . . . the north will be the one to collapse . . . unfortunately it is landlocked and will have to depend on others to import ordinary toothpicks. Just think of the import duties you will have to pay alone and then tell me why Lagos will collapse again.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 4:56pm On Sep 17, 2008
DRANOEL:

The most Important thing is to get things done, it is an evidence that most of those people thinking that Northern Nigeria is economically a failed Nation need to re-think. Because, Northern Nigeria has the highest number of Metallic and Non-Metallic Materials apart from Agricultural Products. Imagine the Import Duty of Cement Materials like Limestone and Gypsum from Arewa to Biafra or Oduduwa. Every Nation needs to Improve its infrastructure in order to become developed.

To those people who always quote Beggars from North, it is one of the biggest Problems the North is facing now, and efforts are always been made to Combat these Begging Problem, and let me remind you that Islam Does not Permit Begging but Islam Encourages Charity, So the Beggars are benefitting from the Charitable behaviour of the Northern People, that is why you see People from Mali, Niger, Chad, and many parts of Nigeria coming to become Beggars especially in Kano. Because the people compete in giving Charity.

So, with a Proper planning, Begging can be stopped in a day.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by tpia: 4:59pm On Sep 17, 2008
dont know why people are eternally stuck in a time warp of irrelevant topics.

How did northern beggars enter this thread?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87:

The most Important thing is to get things done, it is an evidence that most of those people thinking that Northern Nigeria is economically a failed Nation need to re-think.

From what i can see with my two eyes, the north is economically bankrupt. Even Dangote wont site his factories up north, go figure. What happened to Bank of the North?

auwal87:

Because, Northern Nigeria has the highest number of Metallic and Non-Metallic Materials apart from Agricultural Products.

Ghana has gold, Congo has copper . . . they are economically no where near Nigeria. Having deposits is not the same as having the intellectual nous to harness them. You've had these deposits for so long, why are you people still heavily dependent on oil revenue?

auwal87:

Imagine the Import Duty of Cement Materials like Limestone and Gypsum from Arewa to Biafra or Oduduwa. Every Nation needs to Improve its infrastructure in order to become developed.

Ogun state has limestone. The Ewekoro cement factory is situated there.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 17, 2008
tpia:

don't know why people are eternally stuck in a time warp of irrelevant topics.

How did northern beggars enter this thread?

Can you blame them if that is their primary export?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Gamine(f): 5:04pm On Sep 17, 2008
Every State should rule itself.

Division will not be the answer
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by DRANOEL(m): 5:09pm On Sep 17, 2008
davidylan:

Very funny . . . considering the fact that Lagos is the hub for virtually ALL the oil companies, is home to Nigeria's non-oil sector of the economy and has two very improtant trading ports . . . to claim that it will collapse without oil is incredulous.
Lagos state generated N31.48bn alone in the first quarter of 2008 . . . with not a single drop of oil!

The ports in lagos will experience little traffic? Is all the traffic at the ports oil-related?  shocked How then are the Beninoise and the Ghanaians having thriving ports when they don't depend on oil?

Lets face it Dranoel, NO city with access to the sea will suffer without oil revenue . . . the north will be the one to collapse . . . unfortunately it is landlocked and will have to depend on others to import ordinary toothpicks. Just think of the import duties you will have to pay alone and then tell me why Lagos will collapse again.

do you remember what happened when nigeria closed its borders with benin republic? their economy collapsed.

all the countries on thge west african coast have ports! how come they aint striving?

lagos is what it is today because theres money in nigeria,theres money in nigeria because theres oil in nigeria

all those companies in lagos are there for economic gains

most of our banks are big today because of huge oil deposits

and davidylan on the question of dangote siting his companies in the north does not arise because lots of his companies are in the north so as the south,his just a patriotic nigerian. or do you want me to name them?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 5:10pm On Sep 17, 2008
Gamine:

Every State should rule itself.

Division will not be the answer

I like your Point, then we become the United States of Nigeria or what, but the problem is still there, president from the North or East or West is still hanging around, we want to totally become Independent, so that no one will keep blaming another one.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 17, 2008
DRANOEL:

do you remember what happened when nigeria closed its borders with benin republic? their economy collapsed.

comparing Benin with Lagos is like comparing groundnut to pineapples.

DRANOEL:

all the countries on thge west african coast have ports! how come they aint striving?

Because Ports alone are not enough. You need a highly successful manpower base, a conducive invenstment-friendly climate and market (which Nigeria has thanks to her large population).

DRANOEL:

lagos is what it is today because theres money in nigeria,theres money in nigeria because theres oil in nigeria

Lagos was already developed before oil money came pouring in. Where do you think Tafawa Balewa lived as premier?

DRANOEL:

all those companies in lagos are there for economic gains

Essentially my point.

DRANOEL:

most of our banks are big today because of huge oil deposits

Correct. But why has the north not even one successful bank? what happened to their own share of the federal revenue?

DRANOEL:

and davidylan on the question of dangote siting his companies in the north does not arise because lots of his companies are in the north so as the south,his just a patriotic nigerian. or do you want me to name them?

Patriotic my foot! Why are his companies in Lagos and not Kogi?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by DRANOEL(m): 5:20pm On Sep 17, 2008
@davidylan

bank of the north is now unity bank

dangote sugar refinery is in kano,he has cement factories in kogi,kano,benue and sokoto. he just procured land for a juice factory in benue,he has a flour mill in kano etc

seems you know very little about the dangote guy
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2008
DRANOEL:

@davidylan

bank of the north is now unity bank

be more honest, it is a part of a merger. On its own it was a woeful failure.

DRANOEL:

dangote sugar refinery is in kano,he has cement factories in kogi,kano,benue and sokoto. he just procured land for a juice factory in benue,he has a flour mill in kano etc

seems you know very little about the dangote guy

By buying up relics of inept northern governments?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 5:31pm On Sep 17, 2008
Dangote Group is today a testimony of successful and rewarding private entrepreneurship.

Many People don't like Dangote in Arewa because he is doing basically nothing to improve the Lives of even his own relatives as people are saying. I don't know though, but we cannot count on one person as the success of Arewa. Dangote is also behind so many monopolistic changes made by Obasanjo to further enrich his Business by banning the Importation of some particular products which he produce, further increasing the prices of those products and making his business more profitable.

If Arewa will fail, then Niger republic would have failed since. When I said, Niger Republic, see what I am talking about;

[img]http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=9830&rendTypeId=4[/img]

[img]http://chennaidailyfoto.files./2008/05/cdf-mahindra-world-city.gif[/img]

And this is an American International school in Niamey for the English Speaking People in the country

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2008
Should Nigeria divide, I foresee the following happening:

- the economy of the North would immediate go into red due to over reliance on oil revenue and with little or no form of man-power resources or technology to accommodate the shock. The foreign exchange earning of the region would come close to zero. Although there might some inflow of cash in the form of aids and grants from various Arabian countries. Things might stabilise over time, but I don't see the nation doing any better than the likes of Niger and Chad.

- the Igbo would be the least affected. Attracting foreign earnings into the region would definitely not be a difficult task, the region is bound to be major supplier of man power and technology to the neighbouring Niger Delta. The only problem I foresee in the region might be in term of infrastructure. Might take the nation a while to build up the social and economy infrastructures to sustain a thriving economy, but given the ingenius and industrious nature of the eastern overcoming this challenge might not be so difficult. There is bound to be a civil war in the first 10 years of the country's existence, cos i cant imagine Igbos living together given their rancorous nature

- the Niger delta would be replica of the present day Nigeria. Especially with current crop of youth and leaders the region parades. There would be alot of money in the region, most of which will end up in Igboland.

- Next to the North, the west would be the worst hit. The region's over reliance on money from the central government in the old Nigeria and the people's uncanny penchant for paid employment would definitely be it's major draw back. But unlike the North, because of the abundance of man-power resources, might only take a while before the region recovers from the initial shock. Also because of the accommodating nature of the people and it numerous ports, it might actually end up being the economy capital of West Africa.

My thinking, i might be terribly wrong.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2008
If you don't know Niger Republic have its own National Carrier with 150 Planes now (Nigeria does not have even ONE now with the so called OIL), See for your Eyes down here,

[img]http://www.sugc.net/gallery/d/391-1/Republique+Du+Niger+1.jpg[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17)

APC Warns Against Last-minute Looting, THE PUNCH. / Governorship Elections Under President Buhari So Far / Bola Tinubu Visits Borno State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.