Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Should Nigeria Be Divided? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Be Divided? (28890 Views)

b / Should Nigeria Be Divided Into North And South Separate Countries Like Sudan? / NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 5:54pm On Sep 17, 2008
Should Nigeria divide, I foresee the following happening:

- the economy of the North would immediate go into red due to over reliance on oil revenue and with little or no form of man-power resources or technology to accommodate the shock. The foreign exchange earning of the region would come close to zero. Although there might some inflow of cash in the form of aids and grants from various Arabian countries. Things might stabilise over time, but I don't see the nation doing any better than the likes of Niger and Chad.

- the Igbo would be the least affected. Attracting foreign earnings into the region would definitely not be a difficult task, the region is bound to be major supplier of man power and technology to the neighbouring Niger Delta. The only problem I foresee in the region might be in term of infrastructure. Might take the nation a while to build up the social and economy infrastructures to sustain a thriving economy, but given the ingenius and industrious nature of the eastern overcoming this challenge might not be so difficult. There is bound to be a civil war in the first 10 years of the country's existence, cos i cant imagine Igbos living together given their rancorous nature

- the Niger delta would be replica of the present day Nigeria. Especially with current crop of youth and leaders the region parades. There would be alot of money in the region, most of which will end up in Igboland.

- Next to the North, the west would be the worst hit. The region's over reliance on money from the central government in the old Nigeria and the people's uncanny penchant for paid employment would definitely be it's major draw back. But unlike the North, because of the abundance of man-power resources, might only take a while before the region recovers from the initial shock. Also because of the accommodating nature of the people and it numerous ports, it might actually end up being the economy capital of West Africa.

My thinking, i might be terribly wrong.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by ssRhino: 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2008
yemmyse:

- the economy of the North would immediate go into red due to over reliance on oil revenue and with little or no form of man-power resources or technology to accommodate the shock. The foreign exchange earning of the region would come close to zero. Although there might some inflow of cash in the form of aids and grants from various Arabian countries. Things might stabilise over time, but I don't see the nation doing any better than the likes of Niger and Chad.

You are very right, although, i am not sure they will be that much hit the way you put it, u are forgeting that theya re the exporter of Stuff like cow and the dairy farm produce and some agricultural produce, also, they love each other and always there for one another more than every other tribe, i do agree that they will be in darkness for some times, but they will come out of it, and Obama bin ladin, cld move there from pakistan and will bring with him some Afghanistan that will start drug planting and sales, and they will make money via that as well.

yemmyse:

- the Igbo would be the least affected. Attracting foreign earnings into the region would definitely not be a difficult task, the region is bound to be major supplier of man power and technology to the neighbouring Niger Delta. The only problem I foresee in the region might be in term of infrastructure. Might take the nation a while to build up the social and economy infrastructures to sustain a thriving economy, but given the ingenius and industrious nature of the eastern overcoming this challenge might not be so difficult.

Igbo pple will be fine, cos they are sitting on the Oil, and just like they are the china of West Africa, they will be fine, cos they will be able to produce what they want, however, they will be their own enemy, cos they will wanna out do one another, they will wanna rush things and if care is not taken, there is possibbility for them to sell the own nation of their just for money, technology will be from other pple, cos most igbo pple are only good in buz, and mind you buz alone cant sustain an economy, there are need for other sectors of economy, but in the long run, they will be fine, and i can see all the igbo abroad coming home in their numbers to make the place better, but would their resources be able to withstand their population at that point, and that is where they will need to find other ways to make money apart from the OIL, but i am sure that they will be able to invest wisely and find better way to get the crude into finished oil in Biafra nation and not just export and losing money.

yemmyse:

- the Niger delta would be replica of the present day Nigeria. Especially with current crop of youth and leaders the region parades. There would be alot of money in the region, most of which will end up in Igboland.

Well said, but i hope they willbe able to use the money wisely and learn from the baba agbaya called Nigeria.
yemmyse:

- Next to the North, the west would be the worst hit. The region's over reliance on money from the central government in the old Nigeria and the people's uncanny penchant for paid employment would definitely be it's major draw back. But unlike the North, because of the abundance of man-power resources, might only take a while before the region recovers from the initial shock. Because of the accommodating nature of the people and it numerous ports, it might actually end up being the economy capital of West Africa.          

West will be affected really bad, cos they will all have "power struggles" ogun will wanna rule and oshun will say nope, lagos will say na him big pass, and another wahala will cropped up, so i am not sure if i agree with you on that one, cosYorubas always find a way to just shot themselves at the foot like nig bunny, an OYO man with tribal mark will pretend he cant speak yoruba and once you are not from same compound in OYO, he wont help u to give u job, or as long as you cant speak same dialet as him, and Ogun state pple will probably wanna have another ministry called, ministry of Party Galore.
Yes, they are well educated, but we all know that too much book na wahala.
They will be able to develop their own nation, if and only if they are willing to work together as a team and love one another, if they can just put aside their pride stop the "hand me down" theory, they will be fine and if the old pple cld phuck the culture and allow the youngs to take over and rule, if the young one cld see why they need to make it work, Yoruba pple will be fine.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 5:58pm On Sep 17, 2008
If Nigeria were to split, I know Lagos would be greatly effected. Look what happened when they moved everything to Abuja. . . . . . .
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87:

Dangote Group is today a testimony of successful and rewarding private entrepreneurship.

Dangote group is today a testimony of the celebration of corruption and nepotism.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bawomolo(m): 6:07pm On Sep 17, 2008
Do you know that Kano State alone is generating 1.2 Billion Naira Monthly on Local Revenue alone?

lmao 12million dollars per month in internal revenue is now an achievement. wow Nigerians sure have low standards at times

India used to include Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Look at India's economy, it's booming, and Pakistan is coming up as we speak. Bangladesh is quietly climbing up the ranks too. Not saying Nigeria should follow their exact path, I'm just putting it out there

bangladesh split from pakistan which split from india, bangladesh actually has secessionist groups, same for india. you see where am going where? a division of nigeria would be a painful and continuous process. just divided into three won't work
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 6:07pm On Sep 17, 2008
davidylan:

Dangote group is today a testimony of the celebration of corruption and nepotism.

Yes, I agree with you, and look at what I said just below the quote you made;

Many People don't like Dangote in Arewa because he is doing basically nothing to improve the Lives of even his own relatives as people are saying. I don't know though, but we cannot count on one person as the success of Arewa. Dangote is also behind so many monopolistic changes made by Obasanjo to further enrich his Business by banning the Importation of some particular products which he produce, further increasing the prices of those products and making his business more profitable.

Niger Republic is not a failed Nation, but a sufferer of Artificial Poverty created by few people.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 6:10pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87
If you don't know Niger Republic have its own National Carrier with 150 Planes now (Nigeria does not have even ONE now with the so called OIL),  See for your Eyes down here,

[size=15pt]True situation in Niger:[/size]
Historically a gateway between North and sub-Saharan Africa, Niger came under French rule in the late 1890s.  AT-A-GLANCE

Politics: President Tandja was elected for a second term in November 2004. Tuareg rebels relaunched an armed rebellion in 2007
Economy: Niger is rated as the world's poorest country by the UN. Government hopes to diversify and reduce dependence on the largest foreign currency earner, uranium
International: Niger shares borders with seven countries. Some boundaries are in dispute

Timeline

After independence in 1960 its progress was stymied by political instability and a five-year drought, which devastated livestock and crops.

With little primary education, Niger has one of the lowest literacy rates in the world. Its health system is basic and disease is widespread.

After a break of a decade, Niger again experienced an insurgency by Tuareg rebels in the north in 2007. The Niger Movement for Justice (MNJ) complained that a 1995 peace deal that ended the previous insurgency has never been fully implemented and that the region remains marginalised.

In 1999 voters overwhelmingly approved a new constitution providing for presidential and legislative multi-party elections. These took place later in the year and saw Mamadou Tandja elected as president.

Niger banned the centuries-old practice of slavery in 2003. But anti-slavery organisations say thousands of people still live in subjugation.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/country_profiles/1054396.stm
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 6:14pm On Sep 17, 2008
Auwal

Pls stop insulting Nigeria. Comparing us in anyway to Niger Republic is nothing short of an insult.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bawomolo(m): 6:17pm On Sep 17, 2008
If Nigeria were to split, I know Lagos would be greatly effected. Look what happened when they moved everything to Abuja.

what happened after the move to abuja was that lagos continued to be the commercial hub of the country and till this day experience massive immigration. people from ogun state and oyo state actually come to work in lagos!!!!!! most of the stock exchange activities happens in lagos.  although not a capital, lagos is easily the london or new york of nigeria.

lol@northerners looking up to non-arable Niger as an example.  chei
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 6:19pm On Sep 17, 2008
bawomolo:

what happened after the move to abuja was that lagos continued to be the commercial hub of the country and till this day experience massive immigration. people from ogun state and oyo state actually come to work in lagos!!!!!! most of the stock exchange activities happens in lagos. although not a capital, lagos is easily the london or new york of nigeria.
How many people live in slums in Lagos, compared to how many people live in slums in Abuja? It's a fact more funding goes into Abuja, than in Lagos. If Nigeria were to split, Lagos would have an extreme economic failure because most companies there have very close ties with Abuja.

bawomolo:
lol@northerners looking up to non-arable Niger as an example. chei
Niger can be arable, they would just need a large amount of money to prepare the soil! grin Dubai has worse climate than Niger, but they get it done.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2008
Starvation in Niger Republic

Drought and plagues of locusts have caused severe food shortages in Niger, one of the poorest countries in the world. Aid agencies have warned that 3.6 million people could be affected. Visiting Niger, David Loyn reflects on whether part of the blame could lie with the foreign policy of other countries.
Source: BBC

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 6:21pm On Sep 17, 2008
yemmyse:

Auwal

Please stop insulting Nigeria. Comparing us in anyway to Niger Republic is nothing short of an insult.

How can I insult Niger with the country that don't even exist, if you continue to rely your claims on those BBC, CNN, News you will for ever remain in Total Darkness, get the news from real people that are looking for the truth to tell, Niger is a thriving economy, few years back, they caught off the electricity being transported to them from Nigeria, and now they have constant 24/7 Electricity in their country.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2008
That is truly sad how those innocent children are just North of us, starving like that.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2008
Blackspade

Are u deliberating trying to be 'thickskulled' or it's simply u. Please read your last post and think through it.

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided?
« #137 on: Today at 06:19:52 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: bawomolo on Today at 06:17:22 PM
what happened after the move to abuja was that lagos continued to be the commercial hub of the country and till this day experience massive immigration. people from ogun state and oyo state actually come to work in lagos!!!!!! most of the stock exchange activities happens in lagos. although not a capital, lagos is easily the london or new york of nigeria.
How many people live in slums in Lagos, compared to how many people live in slums in Abuja? It's a fact more funding goes into Abuja, than in Lagos. If Nigeria were to split, Lagos would have an extreme economic failure because most companies there have very close ties with Abuja.

Quote from: bawomolo on Today at 06:17:22 PM
lol@northerners looking up to non-arable Niger as an example. chei
Niger can be arable, they would just need a large amount of money to prepare the soil! Dubai has worse climate than Niger, but they get it done.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2008
Auwal87
was economical with the truth, but if that is the destiny the north aspire; to God be the glory
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 6:26pm On Sep 17, 2008
yemmyse, are you trying to suggest that when Abuja became capital, funding to Lagos wasn't drained, and wasn't rotated to Abuja grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 6:28pm On Sep 17, 2008
Blackspade, what ties does MTN or Celtel have with Abuja?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 6:28pm On Sep 17, 2008
bilymuse:

Starvation in Niger Republic

Drought and plagues of locusts have caused severe food shortages in Niger, one of the poorest countries in the world. Aid agencies have warned that 3.6 million people could be affected. Visiting Niger, David Loyn reflects on whether part of the blame could lie with the foreign policy of other countries.
Source: BBC

Don't tell me this is not the so called Nigeria >>>

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 6:29pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87
How can I insult Niger with the country that don't even exist, if you continue to rely your claims on those BBC, CNN, News you will for ever remain in Total Darkness, get the news from real people that are looking for the truth to tell, Niger is a thriving economy, few years back, they caught off the electricity being transported to them from Nigeria, and now they have constant 24/7 Electricity in their country.

most of the information you posted has no source, can you tell us the source so that we can cross check
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Arnold1(m): 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2008
blackspade:

Niger can be arable, they would just need a large amount of money to prepare the soil! grin Dubai has worse climate than Niger, but they get it done.

@bolded

Which lagos companies have close ties to abuja that would cause "extreme economic failure" in lagos
if Nigeria were to split ?

Lagos state generates on an average 11 billion naira a month - all from non-oil revenues.

How much money does abuja generate besides what it receives from the fed govt (oil money) ?

You mean the industries at Oba Akran (ikeja) like Guinness, Dunlop; the ones at Agidingbi
like Coca Cola, Cadbury Schweppes etc or the ones at Ilupeju
or the apapa and tin can island ports ?

Or do you mean the banks, the stock exchange, the telecoms like multilinks, Glo, MTN and co.

Please tell us, which lagos companies have close ties to abuja that would cause "extreme economic failure" in lagos
if Nigeria were to split ?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by bilymuse: 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2008
auwal87
Don't tell me this is not the so called Nigeria >>>

Nigeria situation is better than Niger. There are lots of Niger refugees in Nigeria and you know that. The nigerian police are accusing the Niger refugees of being responsible for most crimes in the northwest states
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2008
Every one of them do. How do you expect the economy of Lagos to keep strong, if Abuja can't fund public infrastructure projects, or other incentives that keep business's running? How would Lagos receive improvement? Slum replacement? Education funding? Do you not foresee a declining economy without those vital improvements that come from Lagos? What influence do you think Central Bank has on Lagos? Do you think the stock exchange could strive with just First Bank Please elaborate! smiley
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by ssRhino: 6:39pm On Sep 17, 2008
Here are some of the pix of biafran war
Now can they afford any other, if things goes ugly?

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 6:39pm On Sep 17, 2008
While these are the Beautiful faces in Kano >>> They are though raising the British Flag welcoming Prince Charles

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Nigeria10: 6:41pm On Sep 17, 2008
What are you people saying. If nigeria break up the north would never be like niger republic. Niger republic is all desert . The nigeria north is not all desert. You have most part where you can farm. I farmed in adamawa during the youth service. I was able to grow bean, cloth, corn and tomato and pepper on the farm. And it was fine. It did not rain much but the hamattan humidity is what they use to water the crops. And My farm was ok. If i reamember very well. it was 3 aces of land.

Please remove those nonsense pictures. The north would never suffer. go to nassarawa state or kaduna  or bauchi , gombe and see farms. And we do not need to fight a war to break up nigeria. USSR and other countries have done it before.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by blackspade(m): 6:43pm On Sep 17, 2008
The ignorance people spew from their keyboards. There is not one region in Nigeria that couldn't support themselves by farming. Only the extreme Northern points of Nigeria would be considered "Non-arable" by some, but that doesn't mean impossible. Like I said earlier, Dubai has a horrible climate, but they're still able to farm, right? So why couldn't the North do it?
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 6:47pm On Sep 17, 2008
The North to Suffer

The West to Suffer

The East to Suffer

All is not the Problem of each other, in as much as no ONE is blaming Each Other. We do not want our Children to grow up with this kind of Hate against each, let us end it from here. Now for Example, is Niger Republic Blaming Nigeria for its Poverty? No! But Now in Nigeria, All Southerners are Blaming the North for what is happening in the country Now. For God Sake, For our own Term "Divided we Stand, United we Fall"
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by Arnold1(m): 6:52pm On Sep 17, 2008
blackspade:

Every one of them do. How do you expect the economy of Lagos to keep strong, if Abuja can't fund public infrastructure projects, or other incentives that keep business's running?

Okay, now I know you have no clue of what you are talking about.

For your information, it is not Abuja that is funding infrastructure in Lagos. In fact, it is abuja (the fed govt) that is
reaping lagos of its funds. The fed govt collects taxes from Lagos and distributes it with all the 36
states of Nigeria, just like it does with oil.

70% of the non-oil money generated by the Federal Internal Revenue Service (FIRS) comes from Lagos state. If this
money was remitted to lagos, It'll be way better off than it is today.

blackspade:

How would Lagos receive improvement? Slum replacement? Education funding?

Again, you have no clue of what you are talking about. Who told you that as we speak, it is
abuja that is upgrading lagos slums and funding its education ?

It is Lagos state that handles all those responsibilities.

When Obasanjo withheld 33 billion naira that belonged to lagos local govts, the state govt was paying
all local govt workers and their services from its own pocket.

I recall when OBJ withheld Bayelsa state's funds for one month, the state couldn't pay for its worker's
salaries.

Where do you think Lagos got its money from ?

blackspade:

Do you not foresee a declining economy without those vital improvements that come from Lagos? What influence do you think Central Bank has on Lagos? Do you think the stock exchange could strive with just First Bank Please elaborate! smiley

So you think First bank is the only company on the lagos stock exchange domiciled in Lagos ?

Do you even know what the role of the Central bank is at all ?

I don't think I should be debating here with you because it is obvious that your knowledge of these
issues are pretty myopic.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 7:27pm On Sep 17, 2008

- the Igbo would be the least affected. Attracting foreign earnings into the region would definitely not be a difficult task, the region is bound to be major supplier of man power and technology to the neighbouring Niger Delta. The only problem I foresee in the region might be in term of infrastructure. Might take the nation a while to build up the social and economy infrastructures to sustain a thriving economy, but given the ingenius and industrious nature of the eastern overcoming this challenge might not be so difficult. There is bound to be a civil war in the first 10 years of the country's existence, because i can't imagine Igbos living together given their rancorous nature

- Next to the North, the west would be the worst hit. The region's over reliance on money from the central government in the old Nigeria and the people's uncanny penchant for paid employment would definitely be it's major draw back. But unlike the North, because of the abundance of man-power resources, might only take a while before the region recovers from the initial shock. Also because of the accommodating nature of the people and it numerous ports, it might actually end up being the economy capital of West Africa.

Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by jockey112(m): 7:30pm On Sep 17, 2008
Arnold1 stop wasting your time debating this post. Just read, laugh and understand why nigeria ( their country ) is so backward. You wonder why niger rep. should now be a model for nigeria.Very soon the likes of them we return to nigeria ( their country ) with a doggy diploma degree from one arab country and before you know wetin dey happen e don become minister of dis and dat.  very shameful indeed.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by RibaduFan(m): 7:41pm On Sep 17, 2008
Auwal

kindly stop embarrashing the north with ur posts. Libya could have been a better model.
Re: Should Nigeria Be Divided? by auwal87(m): 8:02pm On Sep 17, 2008
yemmyse:

Auwal

kindly stop embarrashing the north with your posts. Libya could have been a better model.

It is because some People are trying to claim that Arewa will suffer like Niger, I am trying to show them the other sides of Niger, what they are enjoying, every country in the world have its own Problem, but why Blaming each other for the whole Country's problem. Why blaim Arewa for the Problem of all Nigeria? Libya has developed over the years, this is the kind of things you will see now in Libya.

Check it out, it is only 2,500 Kms from Tripoli to Kano, and Kano is about 1,000 Kms away from Lagos. Tripoli is the Capital of Libya, and it is just beside the Sea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17)

UK Detectives Storm Nigeria Over Diezani / Oyo: Yoruba Elders Condemn Burning Of Sarkin Fulani’s Residence / Video: Obidients Rally In Gboko, Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.