Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Who Is Jesus Christ? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is Jesus Christ? (10977 Views)

Is Jesus Really God? / Is Jesus Relevant In Our Day? / Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by kolaoloye(m): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2009
@muhsin'
Do you know the meaning of Christ
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 4:06pm On Aug 27, 2009
Abuzola:

Am bored and fed up with your dribbling. My religion for me and your religion for you. Case closed

aitee all gd. . .atleast av dne ma part of tellin u. . .its up 2 u. . i hope He touches yo life one day wink cool
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by matrim: 8:03pm On Aug 27, 2009
@muhsin
Jesus tells us that he is the express image of the Father and that once we've seen him then we've seen the Father.he tells us that he has been with the Father from the Beginning and that he and his Father are one,he tells us that he is in his father and the father is in him.
So answer ur own question from the above
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:21am On Aug 28, 2009
The Trinity In The Old Testament

"Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God, and His Spirit, hath sent me" (Isaiah 48:16).

It is significant that Biblical Christianity is the only Trinitarian religion-and therefore the only true religion-in the world.  Most religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, etc.) are pantheistic and humanistic, denying the existence of an omnipotent God who created the space/time cosmos.  There are two other major religions, however, that are monotheistic, believing in the God of creation and in the creation record in Genesis-Judaism and Islam.

However, these two fail to understand that the Creator must also be the Redeemer, and therefore they also become humanistic, believing that man must achieve salvation by his own efforts.  Further, they also fail to acknowledge that God's objective work of redemption must be made subjective in each person by the indwelling personal presence of the omnipresent Creator/Redeemer.

All this is beautifully revealed in the New Testament in the doctrine of the tri-une God-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit- one God in three Persons, incomprehensible to human understanding, perhaps, yet very real (see John 15:26; etc.).

This wonderful revelation of the Godhead was foreshadowed in the very beginning-the Father creating; the Spirit moving; the Son speaking (Genesis 1:1-3).  In our text above, again it is the Son (as the living Word of God) prophesying about His coming mission of redemption, saying that "the Lord God, and His Spirit, hath sent me."

Then, when He had finished His work and could return to the Father, He promised the coming of "the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name," and that He would "abide with you for ever" (John 14:26,16). HMM
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 5:15am On Aug 28, 2009
Say that to the swine. Thats how you twist that jesus said he is God and when ask to produce a verse where jesus declared i am God he rambles. What a hankle pastor.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:43am On Aug 28, 2009
Jesus Christ is:

The Alpa and Omega
The Angel of His presence
The Anointed One
The Advocate
The Apostle of our Profession
The Bread of Life
The Beginning of creation
The Bishop of Souls
The Brazen Serpent
The Captain of Salvation
The Chief corner stone
The Consolation of Israel
The Creditor
The Dayspring from on High
The Daysman
The Deliverer
The Daystar
The Emmanuel
The Express Image of His Person Heb.1:3
The Fountain of Life
The Friend of sinners
The Faithful and True Witness
The First begotten of the dead
The Golden Alter
The Governor
The Holy One of God
The Holy, Harmless and Undefiled
The Holy Thing
The Horn of Salvation
The I AM THAT I AM
The Image of God
The Judge of Quick and Dead
The Just Man
The Just One
The King of Kings
The Last Adam
The Lord of Lords
The Lion of TheTribe of Judah
The Light of the world
The Messiah
The Master
The Minister of the Sanctuary
The Mediator between God and Man
The Name above all names
The Nazarine
The Omega, Alpha and-
The Only begotten Son
The Physician
The Prince of Peace
The Potentate
The Propitiation
The Quickening Spirit
The Resurrection and the Life
The Rock of Salvation
The Rod out of Jesse
The Root and offspring of David
The Seed Of the woman
The Son of God
The Son of Man
The Surety
The Saviour
The Teacher
The Testator
The True Light
The Upholder of all things
The Vine
The Wisdom of God
The Word of God
The way, the truth and the life
The Wonderful Counsellor
The Xpress Image Of His Person
The Yoke remover
The Zenith of our praise
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by matrim: 8:55am On Aug 28, 2009
@oladegbu
You left out the one which is most important to the world now he is the Redeemer both of Isreal and of the entire world
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by muhsin(m): 12:04pm On Aug 28, 2009
Very funny.

Hardly a Christian answer questions on this board. Their forte. LOL grin
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:33pm On Aug 28, 2009
We are quite aware of how the god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers such as adherents of cults and false religions. Evidence of this can be seen on this thread how answers as to who Jesus Christ is has been explained but because their eyes, ears and minds have been darkened they need spiritual eye salve to see the light of the glorious gospel.

The challenge now to many professed Christians is not only to pray for these captives of the enemy but to ask themselves the question: Who is Jesus Christ, do we really know Him? The link below gives us a lot of food for thought as to the person of Jesus Christ. Click and examine yourselves.

http://www.icr.org/article/3338/304/
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by muhsin(m): 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2009
;d
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 11:05am On Aug 29, 2009
muhsin:

Very funny.

Hardly a Christian answer questions on this board. Their forte. LOL grin

N wat questions have u asked n dint get answerz
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 12:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
Jesus declaring ' i am God, worship me' and where jesus said ' i am God, the father and holy spirit'
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2009
Hosea 13:4 = 'Yet I am the LORD thy God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt worship no other God besides me: for there is no saviour beside me.'

John 10:30 = 'I and my Father are one.'

John 8:19= 'Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.'

hope these answer yo questionz cool
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2009
Just because the Bible says that Jesus said something does not mean he did.

Jesus was a man, a Jewish peasant, that had stories made up about him years after his death. . . the same way stories are made up about emperors and other great people. The biblical accounts are mostly fiction. . . This shit was imported into Africa and all it is is someone else's culture that got packaged and distributed very effectively . .same with other imperial religions e.g. Islam. It's all bullshit. . .and to base your life on such without understanding it's history and what the stuff actually means is just carelessness IMO.

People just quote the bible like they personally know the authors and can vouch for their credibility. . .but all they know is that someone they trust told them that it is the "Word of God" and that is all the verification they need. Silly stuff IMO.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 2:40pm On Aug 29, 2009
lol. .@Krayola

u r very interestin. . . may God 4give u 4 referring 2 his Word as Bullshit cool
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 2:48pm On Aug 29, 2009
chi-baby:

lol. .@Krayola

u r very interestin. . . may God 4give u 4 referring 2 his Word as Bullshit  cool

haha. aight. I won't call it bullshit anymore.

Why do u accept it as the word of God? ANd how much do u know about it's authors, origin, and history in general. I'm not talking about it's contents. . just it's history
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2009
ok firstly yeh. . . i accept it cuz av had personal encounterz. . .not jus me but ma family. . .therez alot of testimonies. . . smiley
dunno so much bwt da authorz but i do know that mathew, mark, Paul, James, etc who wrote the Gospels, letters and books that became the Bible's New Testament were eye witnesses of the life of Jesus. They were also inspired by da Holy spirit and so waz all the writerz of da Bible
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 3:06pm On Aug 29, 2009
Jesus did not claim to be God you are interpreting it wrongly, Muhammad also made similar statement but we will never say he is God. If you respect a messenger you have respect the king and if you see the messenger is like you have seen the king, likewise obey and co
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 3:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
@Abuzola

am not interpretin nuin wrongly. . .da Bible clearly states 'Jesus', 'Hoy spirit' and the 'Father'. . . At da end of da sentence, . . he sayz. . All r one.
nwAYZ I dnt think therez any oda way i cn say it n u'll undastand so i guess we all keep 2 our belifs cool
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2009
No no, if i say i and my brother are one does that insinuate that we are two glued single patent. C'mon, think
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 3:33pm On Aug 29, 2009
chi-baby:

dunno so much bwt da authorz but i do know that mathew, mark, Paul, James, etc who wrote the Gospels, letters and books that became the Bible's New Testament were eye witnesses of the life of Jesus. They were also inspired by da Holy spirit and so waz all the writerz of da Bible

Matthew was written about 90 years after the death of Jesus. The Author was not an eye witness of the life of Jesus.

Mark was the 1st Gospel to be written and it was written about 70 years after the death of Jesus. The Author was not an eye witness of the life of Jesus.

John was written about 100 years after the death of Jesus. The author was not an eye witness of the life of Jesus.

Paul wrote most of the letters that are attributed to him but not all.

Paul wrote his letters decades before the first Gospel, Mark, was written, and stories about Jesus's ministry and most of his teachings are largely absent from Paul's correspondence. Paul was interested mainly in the death, resurrection, and imminent return of Jesus. The "stories" of Jesus life were not available to him. . he had been exposed to the legend of Jesus, but the detailed stories as we know them came much later. Paul says so little about the events of Jesus life, and he wrote decades before the Gospels came about. The Gospels were written to formalize what was a rapidly spreading movement. . . The movement existed long before the scriptures were written. Christianity, at the time of Paul, had nothing to do with the Bible that people use today. i.e. Paul has no idea that the bible, or any of the Gospels, exist.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2009
@Krayola

hu sayz they were not eye witnesses?? yes da Bible waz written thousandz of yearz ago in greek by the men i listed b4 n more, but haz bn translated 2 english. 2 Timothy 3:16 states that “All scripture is inspired by God….” Also, In 2 Peter 1:20-21, Peter reminds us to “know this first of all, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, … but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.” The Bible itself tells us that it is God who is the author of His book. That is why itz the word of God. . the book of life cool
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 6:08pm On Aug 29, 2009
haha. I'm not debating the contents of the bible. I'm talkin bout its origin and history.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
av told u wat i know bwt da history i;e written awhile back by men inspire by God. . . dunno wat more u askin 4. do not be a doubtin thomas please tongue
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 6:14pm On Aug 29, 2009
haha. ok. If u say so.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by matrim: 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2009
@krayolar
u can't just state that matthew and the other gospels were not written by eyewitnesses without giving references or proof.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2009
Men wrote the bible claiming to be inspired, if John cena should do the same the world will kill him, john cena was a man like them, they both never saw jesus. Imagine a sanity person to believe lies of inspiration, what a pity
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 11:18pm On Aug 29, 2009
matrim:

@krayolar
u can't just state that matthew and the other gospels were not written by eyewitnesses without giving references or proof.

MARK: 1st Gospel that was written . . .around 70 years after Jesus died.

The author of Mark is very unfamiliar with Palestinian geography. A glaring example occurs in Mark 7:31, which states, "Then again he went out from the region of Tyre and came through Sidon to the sea of Galilee in the midst of the region of Decapolis ". The sea of Galilee is South of Tyre, yet the author of Mark has Jesus go 25 miles north to Sidon on his way to the sea of Galilee. Also, the sea of Galilee is not "in the midst of the region of the Decapolis". At best it borders the edge of the region (It is like saying Lekki beach is in Oshodi). Third, the author seems to be unfamiliar with Palestinian or Jewish customs. For example, the statement on divorce in10:12 reflects Roman rather than Jewish customs.

It is highly unlikely that an eyewitness that was with Jesus would be oblivious to stuff like this.

There are others but these are the most glaring  that wouldn't take me hours to explain. There are also other non-biblical stuff. . .like 1st century synagogue sites that have been dug up to see that 1st century Jews, early christians, and the Gentile population were not in opposition to each other as is often believed, and explain a lot of the anti Jewish sentiment in the Bible. Buildings with inscriptions that say the patrons, and people that funded the buildings were from each of these communities. . and they worshipped together, and got along just fine. This is relevant because it explains why the other Gospels, which use Mark as a source document take certain twists and turns in order to push certain agendas as decades passed and the conditions on the ground were changing.

I planned to go through all the 4 gospels but it'll take me too much time, and to be honest this is saturday . . .they're other things i'll rather be doing than studying this stuff. . . but I'll try to get to it some other time. But my point is there is a lot of background info that is needed to get a full understanding of what is going on in the Bible because it isn't just as simple as the "word of God", or "eyewitness accounts written by people inspired by the holy spirit", or whatever else people say that it is. It is far far faaaarrr from that, and to continue pretending that it isn't is, in my opinion, kinda ridiculous.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 8:10pm On Aug 30, 2009
lol da Bible aint no story book dat u read n undastand. . .da background info or wateva cn b undastood through da help of da Holy spirit. . . u wud need Him in yo life 4 him 2 explain better 2 u smiley
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 8:14pm On Aug 30, 2009
chi-baby:

lol da Bible aint no story book dat u read n undastand

How can one be mandated live life based on sumn he/she doesn't really understand?
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by chibaby5(f): 8:22pm On Aug 30, 2009
well ask da Holy spirit 2 help u undastand. . he sure will do. . all u need 2 do is ask dear cool
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Krayola2(m): 8:31pm On Aug 30, 2009
chi-baby:

well ask da Holy spirit 2 help u undastand. . he sure will do. . all u need 2 do is ask dear cool

haha. ok. I'll ask

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! / Did You Know Japan Bans Islam And ALL Muslims? / What Is Your Church's Theme (year Of) For 2024?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.