Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) (26072 Views)

Scam Alert For Online Sellers / Post And Expose Your Bad Experience With Online Sellers. / Buy Cheap And Enjoy Free Shipping To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by BizBooks(m): 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
Nigeria is yet to shake off her bad reputation when it comes to fraud in commerce. Many
sellers on Ebay, Craiglist, Amazon and other online sites go out of their way to make it
clear that they do not ship to Nigeria. Even when you tell them you reside in the US and
will pay with a credit card bearing your name, they still say no.

It is likely that many of these sellers have not lost money to a Nigerian but are only
reacting to stories they have heard about Nigeria. The irony is that shipping items to
Nigeria is now as safe as it has ever been. In the past few years, I have shipped several
packages to Nigeria through the Post Office and none of them was lost. The only issue is
that the Nigerian Post Office sometimes tries to extort as much money as possible from the
recipients before the packages are handed over to them.

Contrast that with Italy where I have lost several packages over the years. In fact an
Italian once told me they have one of the worst postal services in Europe. But still you
never hear anybody say "I will not ship to Italy". I don't know what it will take for them
to understand that the Nigeria they hear in the news is different from Nigeria in actual
fact. As a result of this blacklist, Nigerians are loosing out on the best electronic
commerce has to offer.

Have you ever ordered a product online and have it delivered in Nigeria?
Were you made to pay by the Post Office before collecting the item?

3 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Akanbiedu(m): 5:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
Well what should I say. Not too bad if we consider the situation, we enjoy too much of what we can not produce already.....apart from that we BUY, not some charity. So F it.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by billante(m): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2012
@ op most sellers from asia ship to nigeria! Its mostly europeans and americans dat are reluctant to shipping to nigeria! I have order goods online through alibaba.com and received it by DHL
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by BizBooks(m): 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2012
I forgot to add something else and that is: If you ship a package to Nigeria, and the
recipient fails to collect it from the Post Office, it will most likely be returned to you.
This has happened to me twice. In one instance, I shipped a box containing 10 laptops. My
contact failed to collect the box from the Post Office and it was returned to me here in the
US intact with nothing missing despite the fact that the box was clearly marked as containing
laptops.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Afam4eva(m): 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
Yahoo boys have really soiled our name. Now nobody wants to do business with Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by BizBooks(m): 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
billante: @ op most sellers from asia ship to nigeria! Its mostly europeans and americans dat are reluctant to shipping to nigeria! I have order goods online through alibaba.com and received it by DHL

You're right. But I don't know if I will order from AliBaba. It is a Chinese-based company
and the sellers on that site mostly offer products of Asian origin. Also scammers have used
that site in the past to defraud buyers.

3 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by gramci: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2012
Nice 1 @OP

Nigeria is not as bad as people think.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2012
billante: @ op most sellers from asia ship to nigeria! Its mostly europeans and americans dat are reluctant to shipping to nigeria! I have order goods online through alibaba.com and received it by DHL

Probably because they have experienced the bad side of the shipping mishaps. If all you have experienced is shipping via DHL, which is more expensive on average, then what I will ask is what you are on about.
In 2010, I sent about 10 packages to Nigeria, and about 5 of them went missing as soon as they hit Nigeria. What do you think I would do after that experience? Continue sending packages and sing praises of how it is safe to ship to Nigeria still? Of course not, I will pull back and wait to see improvement in the services, and the onus is not on me to prove the system works. The system down there needs to be able to prove it works.

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Nebeuwa(m): 5:45pm On Aug 01, 2012
Who would blame them? The problem is not getting the goods to Nigeria, the problem lies once the good arrives in Nigeria.

To be honest I do not really trust Nigerians in general in terms of business.

3 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva: Yahoo boys have really soiled our name. Now nobody wants to do business with Nigerians.

Do not blame yahoo boyz. The system itself needs to show that it works. I used to send items to Nigeria and about half of the items would go missing at the Nigerian point. I would call EMSPOST on a regular basis to inquire and would get into some of the most annoying discussions on where my package is. In 2010, I got passed around from supervisor to supervisor. Fortunately, I make sure to insure my packages before shipping. However all that hassle gets to you after a while.

Why don't you Nigerians in Nigeria demand your system show it works. Not require that people prove the system for you or blame the wrong people.

2 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by musiwa44: 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2012
even western union uses question and answer to nigerian because nigeria is another word for fraud all over the world.

3 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by BizBooks(m): 5:52pm On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:
In 2010, I sent about 10 packages to Nigeria, and about 5 of them went missing as soon as they hit Nigeria.

@Kobojunkie,

You said you sent 10 packages to Nigeria and 5 went missing. What shipping method did you
use? What part of Nigeria were they shipped to?

The shipping method should not really matter since I have used Air Mail, Priority Mail and
Express Mail without any problem. However, all my packages are sent to Lagos. So I can't
vouch for the safety and reliability of items shipped to addresses other than Lagos.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
BizBooks: @Kobojunkie,

You said you sent 10 packages to Nigeria and 5 went missing. What shipping method did you
use? What part of Nigeria were they shipped to?

The shipping method should not really matter since I have used Air Mail, Priority Mail and
Express Mail without any problem. However, all my packages are sent to Lagos. So I can't
vouch for the safety and reliability of items shipped to addresses other than Lagos.

Should it matter what shipping method I use? What does it matter what part of Nigeria the items were shipped to? Is some part of Nigeria excluded from getting the "good services" offered by Nigeria for some reason?

I am glad you asked yourself that question. The point is the Nigerian system should show itself reliable. People should not now attempt to blame the shippers for not wanting to ship to Nigeria. Many have had experiences that have left them question the rationale in wanting to continue to ship goods to Nigeria.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Nebeuwa(m): 5:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
You also have to worry about family members who receive a package, but tell you they did not receive it. Then you hear they are selling the goods found within that package.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by BizBooks(m): 6:00pm On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:
What does it matter what part of Nigeria the items were shipped to? Is some part of Nigeria excluded from getting the "good services" offered by Nigeria for some reason?

Unless you are using DHL or similar courier services, the city or location matters. Here in
the US, many Sellers expressly say "WE DO NOT SHIP TO ALASKA AND HAWAII". Both
states are in the US but they are regarded as the interior parts of the US.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2012
BizBooks:

Unless you are using DHL or similar courier services, the city or location matters. Here in
the US, many Sellers expressly say "WE DO NOT SHIP TO ALASKA AND HAWAII". Both
states are in the US but they are regarded as the interior parts of the US.

what the heck has shipping Nigeria to do with what you are yapping about there? Is Alaska and Hawaii in nigeria? Does Nigeria have disconnected zones like Alaska and Hawaii within it's boundaries? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided If you don't have anything to say, it is OK to stop typing jargon.

3 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 6:05pm On Aug 01, 2012
Nebeuwa: You also have to worry about family members who receive a package, but tell you they did not receive it. Then you hear they are selling the goods found within that package.

At least in those cases, the packages arrive, only they go missing at point of delivery. That never happened in my case. All Packages went missing at the point that it was received by EMSPOST. EMSPOST for some reason could not account for the location of the packages after verifying they were received.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Afam4eva(m): 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

what the heck has shipping Nigeria to do with what you are yapping about there? Is Alaska and Hawaii in nigeria? Does Nigeria have disconnected zones like Alaska and Hawaii within it's boundaries? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided If you don't have anything to say, it is OK to stop typing jargon.
The point BizBooks is trying to say is that some cities are more easily accessible than others. For example, it's easier to ship to lagos than to ship to let's say Zamfara. If you're shipping to Lagos, the complications will be minimized because the plane first berths in Lagos.

5 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by deshclones(m): 6:08pm On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Probably because they have experienced the bad side of the shipping mishaps. If all you have experienced is shipping via DHL, which is more expensive on average, then what I will ask is what you are on about.
In 2010, I sent about 10 packages to Nigeria, and about 5 of them went missing as soon as they hit Nigeria. What do you think I would do after that experience? Continue sending packages and sing praises of how it is safe to ship to Nigeria still? Of course not, I will pull back and wait to see improvement in the services, and the onus is not on me to prove the system works. The system down there needs to be able to prove it works.

Kobojunkie:

Should it matter what shipping method I use? What does it matter what part of Nigeria the items were shipped to? Is some part of Nigeria excluded from getting the "good services" offered by Nigeria for some reason?

I am glad you asked yourself that question. The point is the Nigerian system should show itself reliable. People should not now attempt to blame the shippers for not wanting to ship to Nigeria. Many have had experiences that have left them question the rationale in wanting to continue to ship goods to Nigeria.

This junkie fellow...you never say or see anything good with nigeria..silly Arrow....when professional shippers cumm businessmen like bizbooks,inspired etc have all acknowledged and praised the fact that they ship goods worth millions and they arrive the country intact..you are here yarning dust...a colleague bought furniture worth N800k from marcy.com ,paid online and it arrived intact...i don't believe your story cause you yarn rubbish more than shymmex....moreover what do you have that people will want to steal?...always killing nigeria with your leaking bad mouth. angry angry angry

21 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by UyiIredia(m): 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
It's a real pity. I'm usually surprised at what these nations will believe without actually getting the facts right.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by KayDee4: 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
[size=13pt] The system and Yahoo boys are both to be blamed. In a case where CC payments from Nigeria are not even accepted, I say no thanks to yahoo boys and where you buy something successfully and along the way it mysteriously disappears into thin air, who do we thank for that ?
I bought stuff from amazon in 2009 and I used my office address in V.I to ensure it is easy to locate but the goods never arrived; at a point, the tracking info was "there is no further information available for this shipment". My bank assured me they would refund the money after I sent them all the e-mail discussions I was having with amazon and the seller and when they did, it turned out to be a problem between me and amazon and they eventually suspended my account (till date) saying I refused to pay for goods i bought.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Afam4eva(m): 6:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
Uyi Iredia: It's a real pity. I'm usually surprised at what these nations will believe without actually getting the facts right.
You can;t blame them. Will you sleep with a supposed HIV carrier in the name of getting the fact right?? A rumour is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
The point BizBooks is trying to say is that some cities are more easily accessible than others. For example, it's easier to ship to lagos than to ship to let's say Zamfara. If you're shipping to Lagos, the complications will be minimized because the plane first berths in Lagos.

We are talking of a System that should work for a country and not for a state or two. If you want to say a system works, then you have to verify that it works for all states that apply. If it only works when you tick to send to Lagos and not when you check to send to Zamfara or Kaduna, or a tiny village called Imota, then that system DOES NOT WORK. Kapish?

PS. of the packages that were delivered in 2009, one of them actually got safely to a guy in Kaduna, or was it Bauchi State.

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
You can;t blame them. Will you sleep with a supposed HIV carrier in the name of getting the fact right?? A rumour is enough for the wise.
It is no rumor. Over the years, some of us have tried and been defeated into accepting that the problem is real. I started my business believing that people were just biased. After 3 years of filing out insurance papers and claims forms at the USPS office, I realized I was not the problem . . . it was the other side that had to prove itself reliable.

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:
It is no rumor. Over the years, some of us have tried and been defeated into accepting that the problem is real. I started my business believing that people were just biased. After 3 years of filing out insurance papers and claims forms at the USPS office, I realized I was not the problem . . . it was the other side that had to prove itself reliable.
I'm not saying it's a rumour for everyone. Most of those people that don't ship to Nigeria have not gotten their finger bitten. They're just acting based on popular knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by odumchi: 6:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
Most of these problems are caused by our own customs officials. These people make it very hard for people to have rest of mind when shipping to Lagos.

A relative of mine, who owns a shipping company, nearly went through hell at the hands of the shipping and clearing agents in Lagos. A few years ago, he shipped a few containers filled with cars and other packages from the US to Lagos for his clients who were planning on using them for Christmas.

The goods were supposed to arrive a few weeks before Christmas and were supposed to be cleared in a few days, however that didn't happen. Even though he paid his clearing agent (and other port officials), they purposefully used the money for their own enjoyment. In a short time, my relatives clients started hassling him
because they hadn't recieved their goods. When he called his clearing agent, the guy would tell him that he was in the process of clearing the goods (this happened for nearly two weeks).

Finally, my relative was forced to fly to Nigeria and see how things were going. Upon arriving at the warf, he discovered that his agents had squandered the millions of Naira he had given them and, without haste, he had them arrested.

It is things like this that deter many from shipping to Nigeria (and especially Lagos).

1 Like

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm not saying it's a rumour for everyone. Most of those people that don't ship to Nigeria have not gotten their finger bitten. They're just acting based on popular knowledge.

Isn't it wise to act on just that? I mean do you wait till you get salmonella poisoning from eating at a restaurant where some have taken ill, before you realize that it is probably best for you not to go there?

I experienced it bad. The system needs to fix it's problems, and then PROVE to the people, those following wise advice and those who have been scared by it in the past, that it has really decided to get it's acts together.
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by KayDee4: 6:19pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva: I'm not saying it's a rumour for everyone. Most of those people that don't ship to Nigeria have not gotten their finger bitten. They're just acting based on popular knowledge.
[size=13pt] Sometimes, it is wise to learn from other people's experiences. [/size]
Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by dasparrow: 6:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Post

Americans and europeans need to stop with all the obnoxious self righteous and sanctimonious attitude. I had my family in western europe send me something via registered mail and I am here in the united states. The item never arrived. We then put in a 'missing mail inquiry' on both the european side and american side to see what happened to the item. The europeans were able to provide proof that the item did get shipped and arrived in New York. But it was in New York that the mailed item got missing. The americans till today are yet to explain to me what happened to my registered mail after it landed on US soil and its been 2 years now since this occured.

The case of missing mail happens all over the world and in Nigeria just like elsewhere, I believe that the state and city you send the mail to makes a difference. When I lived on the east coast here in america, my mail from my family in western europe never went missing. I move to the west coast and all of a sudden, my mail from europe stopped arriving. A friend of mine just sent me a money order from New York 2 weeks ago and till now, I am yet to receive it. That is money gone down the drain right there and this is shipping within the united states by the way. So abeg! If they don't want to ship to Nigeria, then that is on them. I prefer we Africans give our business to fellow Africans whenever possible anyway instead of giving it to the oyibos.

9 Likes

Re: Online Sellers Refuse Shipping To Nigeria (Pic) by BizBooks(m): 6:28pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:

@Afam4eva,

Kobojunkie clearly understands the point I was trying to make though he pretends not to.
Nigeria is still a developing country. You cannot expect to receive the same quality of
service obtained in Lagos and Abuja in other parts of the country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fuel Attendants Insist Customers Buy Meatpie First Before They Sell Fuel (vid) / Diamond Bank Apapa Fire Incident: Bank Management Releases Official Statement / Palm Oil Biz.. How I Lost My First Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.