Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,991 members, 7,814,384 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (27793 Views)

Driver’s Death In LASTMA Custody Stirs Controversy / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / "Secret Letter" From Obasanjo To Jonathan Stirs Anger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Paentera(m): 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

My friend go and pick up a book on the war and read. Go to school!
The January 15 1966 coup had NOTHING to do with the war. 30,000 people paid for the mistake of January 15 1966.
There was a counter coup still in July 1966 during which about 30 -50% of top Igbo military officers were murdered.
Still your fathers launched a war against the East in July 1967 - almost ONE FULL YEAR AFTER THE COUNTER COUP of 1966.

HOW MUCH IGBO BLOOD WOULD QUENCH YOUR THIRST FOR THE MISTAKE OF 1966?

Let me tell you. What all these tells us young Igbo is that if any war starts again in Nigeria, WE WILL NOT STOP until either you or we are wiped out.
Just remember this. wink

For Igbos, if history is not written in your favour, then it is not true. You are funny - the Jan 1966 Igbo led coup had nothing to do with the war abi? I call it selective amnesia - next time, don't start what you can't finish. So lives were lost, yes, wake up, it was a bloody war! Where has a war ever been fought with the innocent not losing their lives? Your leader who pushed you into the bloody war is now the hero right? Mehn, your logic always fail to make sense to me!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ichidodo: 1:19pm On Oct 06, 2012
hbrednic: karma is a bittch,
thank God the man committed suicide after mass murdering of innocent children
KARMA IS CERTAINLY A MODAFURCKA. GOOD ONE 4 KARMA THOUGH.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Madawaki01(m): 1:21pm On Oct 06, 2012
demmy:

You're obviously blunted out of your mind. Was it Awolowo's fault that they couldn't feed themselves? They could smuggled in ammunition but not food? How many of the Biafran leadership dead of starvation? Ojukwu and his ilks fed themselves but couldn't feed their own people and that was Awolowo's fault?

1000000000000000likes............KUDOS

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Madawaki01(m): 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2012
Fastest ever growing thread on nairaland............WHO'S FUELING D WAR?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by charlesm91(m): 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2012
Men I read story I tire.pls lets try to summarise our story hitting out the main point.
But I honestly tink dis present generation of individuals aint interested in war against emselves.we've got bigger prob. Than dwelln on '66 coup n biafra war of which I no nutts about.One Nigeria ,One Nation,One People.spread the message
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ajanaku2(m): 1:35pm On Oct 06, 2012
ak47mann: This is from a yoruba page on FB i will advice this young yoruba people on NL to think like humans not animals for your generation to live freely from curse descended on ur people you need to ask GOD to pls stop it affecting your own family because curse goes from generation to next..

[b]Aboluwarin Oluwasola Oyekunle Isola (...wrote on PROUDLY YORUBA page):

Buh i must be honest(due to conscience), wat Awos & Gowon did to Igbo is purely a war-crime, as far as i know as an International Relations expert and if am to be really objective. The Igbos durin d civil war re still citizens of dis country so i dnt expect such a genocidal/divisive ploy 4rm Gowon (tru Awo mayb) @least US fought civil wars(e.g.US Civil war on slavery durin Abraham Lincoln & Abraham Lincoln wz clearly against slavery buh he neva misused his office) buh i neva heard nor read anywia wia such tinz re done to dia fellow Americans. Meanwhile, do u really tink Achebe dnt hav his facts too b4 sayin such tinz! Or re you sayin we Yorubaz re stil disillusioned by d Northern dubious policy of 'One Nigeria' ? Wat i want to make clear is dat wat Awo did wz not and neva on behalf of we Yoruba pls, pls do analyse his actions at individual level and not at Yoruba-race level moreso, he's not d nation's leader, pls! I personally hate him( Awo)cos he's a satanist, power drunk and for ur info, he actually committed suicide due to treason he committed. I don't hav anytin personally/individually against d Indi-Igboz. Long live BIAFRA & BIAFRANZ![/b]

Either you a mendacious Nincompoop or the "Aboluwarin" Guy's Ibo Mother was ra'ped by a Yoruba Man...

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by elpatch(m): 1:36pm On Oct 06, 2012
Just want to inquire from various historians and philosophers in the house if achebe's report equal Igbo mindset cos for me I think the memoir was born out of personal vendatta for Awo and not an absolute representation of what happen during the war.it seems to my that prof downplayed the role played by baba zik,ojukwu,gowon et al and was blind to the effort of col banjo who as at the last time I checked was a yoruba man.and as for his hatred for yoruba race,it's morning time.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ichidodo: 1:45pm On Oct 06, 2012
ajanaku2:

Either you a mendacious Nincompoop or the "Aboluwarin" Guy's Ibo Mother was ra'ped by a Yoruba Man...
OGA THE YORUBA MAN HAS CONFESSED AWO-OLE'S CRIME STOP ABUSIN HIM. OR DO U ALSO HAVE GUILTY CONSCIENCE AND WANT TO CONFESS SUMTIN?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ikeyman00(m): 1:52pm On Oct 06, 2012
@@@@@@

right i think me have sat back for long now watching some of yall munches talking nonesense

if there are truly real soldiers out there as things stand in the country i think u should be worried! really piss off as iam

why cant we as a people for once look in the mirror and face the truth

u have the some people butchering their fellow just beacause they pratcise different faith in the country; u have poeple that wana make a change getting run down; u have the Igbo haters pretending like they dnt know; u have the Hausa getting admission with their underscores in the north; u still have them running most of the fg board like its there; nepa;frsc etc u name them; lets get real for once cuz life aint fake niether

forget the igbo-yaribas war game in nl; this is nl i used to know; the average Yoruba man love to feel like king; taking a piss at the igbos whenever he sees the medium; now the igbo spirit is fight back ; what do u expect then love?

Back in time u had the America exchanging intelligence for protection; they excuted all the Hitler men but brought over those scientist that built the machinery that was used by the Germany to live like king in US; hmmm the Jews never worried them lipsrsealed for exchange of knowledge

Nevertheless here in Nigeria u have the yaribas and the hausa sub-pressing the great igbo ingenuity for years. How is the country ever gona rise with this wickedness and evil against fellow brothers? so lets not preach about how black people will ever get on plz one get annoyed for good, now we all lose?

putting it down like it should be!

number 1; why cnt we behave like human being for once in our life time; this goes out to all the foolish yaribas that have been con-soling their uselessness in nl

num 2; why cnt the northerns act like human for once in their life time; every now and then all i read is power must return to north? what is this suppose to be when it can be argue that north has been be con-voluting the country's wahala since 1900; what next after boko nonsense

num3; why cant the country set road map to tackle the road network across the country one at a time; eg in oga joe tenure lagos-benin road done for good and other side after which the next president takes on and in that way we will be sure in what we are getting; Rome wast built in a day

we simply need to change for short and i dnt wana see some preachers pretending not know what the truth is! Then u wonder the reason some could only see break-up as an escape. who do u blame hater, liar or pretenders?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by bankyblue(m): 1:53pm On Oct 06, 2012
How dose this solve the present issues in the country now, or instead
Bring back old wound.....all this porf and co, why won't they just die and
Let us enjoy how own life now. Must they cause enmity between us nowm
Pls that story is bullshit
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by cjfavour(m): 1:53pm On Oct 06, 2012
[quote author=nusirat]

⁠<< Home ⁠

Biafra : Awolowo replies Achebe from the grave

Tweet

Nigeria’s literary legend, Chinua Achebe in his latest memoir on the defunct Biafra, accused a Nigerian political legend, Obafemi Awolowo of demonstrating hatred against Igbo via the policies Awolowo initiated when he was Vice-Chairman and Finance Minister in General Yakubu Gowon’s cabinet during the Nigerian civil war.

Achebe did not make any new accusations; such dogged the Nigerian politician when he was alive and he had debunked all of them . Awo died in 1987 without fulfilling his life-long dream of presiding over Nigeria. The surprise however is that Achebe had decided to unearth the same old unfounded story 35 years after Awo’s demise.

What Achebe wrote about Awo:

"The wartime cabinet of General Gowon, the military ruler, it should also be remembered, was full of intellectuals, like Chief Obafemi Awolowo, among others, who came up with a boatload of infamous and regrettable policies. A statement credited to Awolowo and echoed by his cohorts is the most callous and unfortunate: all is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder'.

"It is my impression that Awolowo was driven by an overriding ambition for power, for himself and for his Yoruba people. There is, on the surface at least, nothing wrong with those aspirations. However, Awolowo saw the dominant Igbo at the time as the obstacles to that goal, and when the opportunity arose with the Nigeria-Biafra war, his ambition drove him into a frenzy to go to every length to achieve his dreams. In the Biafran case, it meant hatching up a diabolical policy to reduce the numbers of his enemies significantly through starvation eliminating over two million people, mainly members of future generations."

Thanks to www.nigeriavillagesquare.com, we bring Awo back from the grave to confront Achebe’s lies, in his own words.

When you finish reading, make your own conclusion as to whom had lied: Achebe or Obafemi Awolowo.

During the 1983 elections, Chief Awolowo was hosted to a town hall interview in Abeokuta, where in addition to other pertinent topics of the day, he spoke on his role in the civil war, the 20-pound policy, starvation as a weapon, change of currency, abandoned property etc.
CIVIL WAR

MODERATOR: Yes Mr.......Mr. Oparadike.

QUESTION: Chief Awolowo, your stand on the civil war...Your stand on the civil war, however unpopular it may have been to the Biafrans or Ibo people, helped to shorten the war. Today, you're being cast as the sole enemy of the Ibo people because of that stand, by among others, some of the people who as members of the federal military government at that time, were party to that decision and are today, in some cases, inheritors of power in one Nigeria which that decision of yours helped to save. How do you feel being cast in this role, and what steps are you taking to endear yourself once again to that large chunk of Nigerians who feels embittered.

AWOLOWO: As far as I know, the Ibo masses are friendly to me, towards me. In fact, whenever I visit Iboland, either Anambra or Imo, and there's no campaigning for elections on, the Ibo people receive me warmly and affectionately. But there are some elements in Iboland who believe that they can maintain their popularity only by denigrating me, and so they keep on telling lies against me. Ojukwu is one of them. I don't want to mention the names of the others because they are still redeemable, but ....Ojukwu is irredeemable so I mention his name, and my attitude to these lies is one of indifference, I must confess to you.

I've learnt to rely completely on the providence and vindication of Almighty God in some of these things. I've tried to explain myself in the past, but these liars persist. Ojukwu had only recently told the same lie against me. What's the point in correcting lies when people are determined to persist in telling lies against you, what's the point. I know that someday the Ibos, the masses of the Ibo people will realize who their friends are, and who their real enemies are. And the day that happens woe betide those enemies. The Ibos will deal with them very roughly, very roughly.

That has happened in my life. I have a nickname now, if you see my letterhead you'll find something on top, you'll find a fish done on the letterhead. Some people put Lion on theirs, some people put Tiger, but mine is Fish. And Fish represents my zodiac sign, those of you who read the stars and so on in the newspapers; you'll find out that there's a zodiac sign known as pisces, in Latin pisces mean Fish.

Can somebody from igboland pls say something for or against this? If nt i 'll believe awo. Though i'm nt his fan. To me he's just like abiola.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2012
Lets stop whining pls. I am igbo but all the crying about the past is getting dry and annoying.

Cant we just move on and forget about the past. Most igbos are christians and its in the bible that u should forgive and FORGET.

Besides alot of us have invested heavily and even live in western states. What would happen if a war starts? Dont u think we would be the losers?

Forget the past and move on!
Focus on the future!
Thats what truly brave and wise pple do.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

Any Igbo war with Yoruba will not stop until we chase you Yoruba to Benin and Ghana or wipe you out, because we cannot afford to live with your mouths for another 40 years.
I don't see it any other way.

Hopeless old basta*ard, will you leave your one bedroom basement in whatever village you said you're shacking up in in Idaho and go pick up a machete to fight in this war youre proposing?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: If what Achebe wrote is the TRUTH, then why shouldn't he tell the TRUTH? Why do some persons want him to hide the TRUTH? That someone says it as it is does not mean the person is still ANGRY or BITTER. The TRUTH is the TRUTH and the TRUTH can never be late in coming. So SORRY if it offended some Yoruba persons or any other person but the TRUTH should not be withheld because it will offend some persons. Again the TRUTH may be RIGHT or WRONG depending on your side of the divide or your understanding of issues. To some persons it is right to use starvation as weapon of war but to others it is an ATROCIOUS act. In the opinion of Achebe and some other persons, it is WRONG but in the opinion of others, including the Late Chief Awo, it is RIGHT. Such is life. But bottomline is was starvation used as weapon of war during the Nigerian civil war? Yes! Was Late Awo the driver of such policy? Yes! Was late Awo interested in becoming president of Nigeria after decimating the 'enemy'? Yes! Was Achebe right in documenting these TRUTHS in his book for posterity sake? I think yes. FOR THE INFORMATION OF ALL, not ALL weapons of war are acceptable or 'fair'. That is the reason you have the red cross and UN to deliver food to the civillian population even in the period of war. Also it is unacceptable to use certain cluster bombs during war or bomb certain targets during war. Again Igbos did not declare war on Nig rather it was Nigeria that attacked Igbo homeland after the east seceded due to massacre of Igbos in the north

A military coup organized by some young military guys who were angry with d first corrupt indigenous leaders, & unfortunately, majority of those killed in d coup happened to be northerners, the northerners as usual, saw it from a tribalistic view & decided to bounce back, committing pogrom against innocent Igbos living in their northern land, Ojukwu as a concerned indigene of Igbo land, and a patriotic son, said no to mass killing of his people & asked his people to follow him & lets go & live in peace n freedom on our own, d north & west said no, u must stay with us whether we kill ur people or not, by fire by force we must be one Nigeria, so they declared war against Biafra to bring them back to Nigeria by force. Now, who said Ojukwu is wrong

Now, in the early beginnings when d north were using Igbo people to practice their jihadist nature, every other tribe in Nigeria danced with joy, applauding them by keeping mute, now haven killed enough Igbos, plus the effect of nemesis & punishment of nature, nature brought enmity bw Middle beltans & the northerners becos of what Gowon did; joining to destroy his own brothers in religion, hence the unrest in Jos, only God can bring peace there. Now, the north graduated to the next level, including other tribes in their usual quest for dominance by all means- boko haram, now every Nigerian is now screaming that boko haram is bad becos its no longer only Igbo people being killed.

Now talking of using starvation as a weapon of war, it is never right becos even when an enemy succeeds in winning over their rival army & take them as prisoners of war, human right demands that u feed them even though u caught them while fighting u, now how about starving innocent children to win war that they no nothing about If at all anyone prescribed that drug of using starvation to win war, the person has a prize to pay.

Well done my prof. senior senior senior prof. Achebe, the greatest writer in the whole of Africa, who said his words are never true He is always a prophet, after publishing his groundbreaking novel: The Man of The People, the end he predicted in the novel, happened in real life, Nigeria's first indigenous government collapsed like a bridge due to corruption & we are still fighting all those corruption Achebe had been crying for, lets give him a breathe jareh smiley

Finally, the north will only witness peace & total harmony when they come out openly & confess their sins against innocent Igbos they always kill for no justifiable reason, & then ask for all Igbos to forgive them publicly. Gowon also needs to do same, and if Awo is alive, he too needed to have done the same.

If they refuse to ask for forgiveness from Ndigbo, it maybe impossible to witness total peace & progress in Nigeria becos Igbos have never in history waged a mass killing of any tribe in Nigeria for no reason. But the north enjoy feasting on Igbo lives, same with other tribe, why U cant take d life of an innocent jew & go free, go & inquire.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by MrGlobe(m): 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2012
el-patch:
Just want to inquire from various historians and philosophers in the house if achebe's report equal Igbo mindset cos for me I think the memoir was born out of personal vendatta for Awo and not an absolute representation of what happen during the war.it seems to my that prof downplayed the role played by baba zik,ojukwu,gowon et al and was blind to the effort of col banjo who as at the last time I checked was a yoruba man.and as for his hatred for yoruba race,it's morning time.
Absolutely (All igbos) at the bolded only.
no more questions please.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by keneri(m): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

The January 15 1966 coup had NOTHING to do with the war. 30,000 people paid for the mistake of January 15 1966.
There was a counter coup still in July 1966 during which about 30 -50% of top Igbo military officers were murdered.
Still your fathers launched a war against the East in July 1967 - almost ONE FULL YEAR AFTER THE COUNTER COUP of 1966.

Let me tell you. What all these tells us young Igbo is that if any war starts again in Nigeria, WE WILL NOT STOP until either you or we are wiped out.
Just remember this. wink

Agreed....I think the Ibos are ready this time around and are more than prepared to shed their blood for future generations the Syrian way.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by alaafin(m): 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2012
1. He who mastermind the war and the one that fought the war are sinners. Only one who repented before death might goes to heaven.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Yujin(m): 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2012
marveouz: 1966 Crisis, Coup and Biafra

Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe
Although Azikiwe was abroad when Nigeria experienced its first military coup in January 1966, he offered to return soon after it. He was largely ignored by the military government of Major-General Aguiyi-Ironsi, which acted as if he did not exist. When the Igbo Eastern Region seceded from Nigeria in May 1967 as the republic of Biafra, it placed Azikiwe in a difficult position, and gave him a stark choice. He had the choice of either maintaining national unity by supporting his lifelong dream and work of a united Nigeria. To do so would cause him to abandon the struggle of his fellow Igbos in the Eastern Region. His alternate option was to support Biafra, thereby making himself an accomplice in the destruction of his life’s work of maintaining Nigeria as a united country.

In the months preceding the war, Zik repeatedly advised against secession but according to his son Bamidele, Zik “was shouted down by people that were prompting for the war”. Reluctantly, he initially supported Biafra and his prestige allowed him to gain sympathy for Biafra’s cause and international recognition. Using his political connections, he led Biafran delegations abroad to press for recognition for the fledgling state. He persuaded Presidents Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia to recognise Biafra (among his other notable successes in this regard was the bizarre President Francois “Papa Doc” Duvalier of Haiti).

He was a reluctant secessionist, and it must have broken his heart to see his beloved Nigeria being ripped apart by war. By 1968, Zik was having second thoughts. He appealed to Biafra’s leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, to negotiate with Nigerian leader Gowon, rather than fight on and risk what eventually happened: the elongation of Biafran suffering, defeat, and unconditional surrender. When Ojukwu would not heed his call, Azikiwe appeared in Lagos beside Gowon, and appealed for a cessation of the fighting. Some of his fellow Igbos labelled him a traitor. After the war ended, he lapsed into the background, stayed away from politics, and moved to Nsukka.

Thanks for sharing. Do you know any link that corroborates all these?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by elpatch(m): 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2012
@mr globe:thatz thot provoking,your opinion is noted and appreciated. gathering facts for academic exercise.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by hunterden: 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2012
Igbo with their sentiments....always blaming yorubas..let me tell you ,if there is another civil war which i pray it wont happen..you will still loose..why?you folks cant even rule yourselves.we all should work for a better future and stop all this cyber shit..hatred will never get us anywhere.lets forget the mistakes all this old fools made(Ojukwu,Awo and the likes)..Brothers if you see WAR...no be like the movies oooo..
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Lobolintin(m): 2:24pm On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

Just remember this. wink
seconded...*
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by hunterden: 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2012
@Onlytruth....ODE aiye ati orun nie...if you have not seen blood shed..people like you wont know the life you have is a gift..Liberia's second conflict...i was there..believe me,crying is just an understatement
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 06, 2012
hunterden: Igbo with their sentiments....always blaming yorubas..let me tell you ,if there is another civil war which i pray it wont happen..you will still loose..why?you folks cant even rule yourselves.we all should work for a better future and stop all this cyber shit..hatred will never get us anywhere.lets forget the mistakes all this old fools made(Ojukwu,Awo and the likes)..Brothers if you see WAR...no be like the movies oooo..

Their women are surprisingly more solid than their men. They suffered more during the war, yet they are the upbeat, more honest, more daring, more forgiving, more intelligent, more able to get along with other tribes.
Ibo men suck, from the okirika dealer to Achebe, they are all the same.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ichidodo: 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2012
Aigbofa:

Their women are surprisingly more solid than their men. They suffered more during the war, yet they are the upbeat, more honest, more daring, more forgiving, more intelligent, more able to get along with other tribes.
Ibo men suck, from the okirika dealer to Achebe, they are all the same.
WE ARE THE SONS OF OUR MOTHERS AND FATHERS OF OUR DAUGHTERS. U HATE THE IGBO-MAN AND YET LUST AFTER HIS WOMAN,IF I CATCH U NEAR ONE I WIL SCRATCH MY MATCHETE ON THE GROUND AND CUT OFF YAR HEAD, OHAFIA-STYLE.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Chuksgeo: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2012
@emmatok let me tell you now that awolowo is a nazist and if you support what he did, that evil will befall you, I implore you to go the british war musuem you will find so many facts and articles that will make you to tell all this your coward brothers to stop defending or oppossing the truth by a world elite,historian and academician Prof. CHINUALUMOGU ACHEBE Some facts for you- 1. A british REDCROSS pilot(I wont tell you his name, research it and findout yourself,so that you dont come here and start rattling your mind over issues you dont know) resigns during this BIAFRAN war and joins the BIAFRAN ARMY after seeing how babies die just because of awolowo's nazist idea of 'STARVATION POLICY' that was wickedness from the pit of hell. 2. Col. BANJO a yoruba with a concience by birth fought along side the BIAFRAN SOLDIERS after perceiving and seeing unjust killings of the Igbos against a govt membered by his own bloodline who's opinion is cherished and ultimate which brought about this same infamous 'STARVATION POLICY' during the said war. But then why cant the Yorubas and the others let the IGBOS have a country of their own, they(yorubas) are so cowarded that they cant even think of living alone especially without the IGBOS, we want to be on our own, free from a country that after 52 years has nothing to offer, and finaly I still want to maintain that Awolowo is a nazist if you dont like it hug electricity transformer. IGBO KWENU!

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by 2ru9jaman: 3:00pm On Oct 06, 2012
Chinua achebe lost d respect i once had 4 him. I pity him for expressing his anguish and guilt over d role he and his compatriots played. What a great regret! He will live with it till he enter the grave. See how Zik n Ojukwu died suffered 4 long on sick bed. They passed away like coward n betrayal does. No wonder Achebe has been suffering on wheel chair. Oh what a terrible n shameful way of living a pre-HELL life. He can still repent n be delivered from d curse Awo placed on all enemies of Igbo race who peddled lie n still blackmailing him as achebe is doing today. If ojukwu can described Awo as the best president Nigeria( Igbo race especially) never had then achebe n his memoir shd be discarded as trash.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by elpatch(m): 3:04pm On Oct 06, 2012
@chucksgeo:a welch mercinery not a pilot...
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by lekanwj(m): 3:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
Wily+Wily:
I pity Awolowo, Achebe don finish him.
It is only a man without honor that will attack another man who is not capable of defending himself. Awo is gone please let the man RIP. But seriously why did Prof and other Igbo intellectuals not provide intellectual support for Ojukwu then. They obviously lack it. Lol

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by DidierKing: 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2012
Let the image below do the talking.

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by beautifulOnyi: 3:11pm On Oct 06, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: If what Achebe wrote is the TRUTH, then why shouldn't he tell the TRUTH? Why do some persons want him to hide the TRUTH? That someone says it as it is does not mean the person is still ANGRY or BITTER. The TRUTH is the TRUTH and the TRUTH can never be late in coming. So SORRY if it offended some Yoruba persons or any other person but the TRUTH should not be withheld because it will offend some persons. Again the TRUTH may be RIGHT or WRONG depending on your side of the divide or your understanding of issues. To some persons it is right to use starvation as weapon of war but to others it is an ATROCIOUS act. In the opinion of Achebe and some other persons, it is WRONG but in the opinion of others, including the Late Chief Awo, it is RIGHT. Such is life. But bottomline is was starvation used as weapon of war during the Nigerian civil war? Yes! Was Late Awo the driver of such policy? Yes! Was late Awo interested in becoming president of Nigeria after decimating the 'enemy'? Yes! Was Achebe right in documenting these TRUTHS in his book for posterity sake? I think yes. FOR THE INFORMATION OF ALL, not ALL weapons of war are acceptable or 'fair'. That is the reason you have the red cross and UN to deliver food to the civillian population even in the period of war. Also it is unacceptable to use certain cluster bombs during war or bomb certain targets during war. Again Igbos did not declare war on Nig rather it was Nigeria that attacked Igbo homeland after the east seceded due to massacre of Igbos in the north

Exactly!!! Biko tell them by brother. When they were killing igbos like chicken in the north...why won't we secede? They should have let us be, why attack us when we did no harm. Ojukwu was our hero.
Awolowo was a big tribalist through and through (like most yorubas are), zik was a nationalist. No wonder awolowo died young, instead of living to ripe old age like zik, ojukwu and achebe.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by damas11111(m): 3:15pm On Oct 06, 2012
Classicalman: Nwanne m nwoke there is no need for all the hate. Fact remains that the Yorubas were practically the only people that kept our properties for us, took care and handed the rents over to us after d war. Even our so called south south brothers grabbed them in the abandoned property saga. I witnessed these. One good favour deserves another. As for Awo, it is not for me to Judge him, let posterity do that. Achebe remains a man i take on as a mentor. Lets bury our hatchet and fight our common enemy.

your type is rare I must say! The guy who calls himself the "onlytruth" is either too myopic or not intelligent enough to acknowledge the simple fact. I am sure many things were wrongly done during the war by all parties involved beginning from declaring a republic within a sovereign state to starving civilians to death. But what's done is done! Any point in sowing seeds of discord and hatred by writing this type of book? To achieve what exactly? Open old wounds so that it can lead to another war with "revenge" as the ultimate goal? I am really confused about the purpose of this book from someone I hold in high esteem.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by tiwasiaife(m): 3:15pm On Oct 06, 2012
My great great great great grandchildren MUST read this book. Even if it entails photocopying it. Awo was deceivd my gowon. I will soon publish mine on gowon after his demise.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ademola Adeleke & Will Stevens, US Consular General, In Osogbo / Emir Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari Thanks Buhari For Appointing Gambari As Chief Of Staff / Yahaya Bello Invites Young Boy Who Drew His Portrait, Places Him On Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.