Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,931 members, 7,814,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (27790 Views)

Driver’s Death In LASTMA Custody Stirs Controversy / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / "Secret Letter" From Obasanjo To Jonathan Stirs Anger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Classicalman(m): 10:45am On Oct 06, 2012
datola: Nigeria is finished with the likes of Achebe as intellectual icon. It is obvious from this revelation that he does not believe in Nigeria's oneness and that's why he has been rejecting National honors not because of bad governance. I counsel him to repent so that he will not start his own hell fire from earth.

Igbos are blaming Yorubas and vice Versa, non seems to blame Hausa, that's why they have been having upper.

Nairaland is a forum where igbos are always seeking opportunity to attack the Yorubas and an Igbo man is a commissioner in Lagos, they are all over Lagos prospering without hindrance- sure that can never happen in other regions.

I think we are supposed to appreciate each others instead of this campaign of calumny led by now intellectually challenged Achebe.
I beg to disagree. The yorubas on this forum almost always cast the first stone. Looking for any opportunity to deride the Igbo tribe. It's the truth and you know it.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by lafuria1(m): 10:48am On Oct 06, 2012
pathetic, u guys want war..........is alright. later they will say the hausa are blood thirsty and illitrate. from the comments so far, the black race are heartless and so full with revenge. God dey.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by WilyWily5: 10:48am On Oct 06, 2012
Take it or leave it, Awolowo is the first indicted War Criminal of Nigeria/Biafra War.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 06, 2012
[quote author=Mr. Globe]
“I cannot believe that a scholar of Achebe’s stature could be so unforgiving. Mathew 6: 14 and 15 enjoins every Christian to forgive fellow human beings.[/b]

Personally, what has happened as happened and everyone is entitled to see the war the way what to see it. But my only problem with the write-up is the above comment. How can someone that is supposedly educated make the above statement? Does he think that everyone is a Christian? That someone claims to be one does not make him/her one. I would prefer people stick to an idea that is applicable to everyone not forcing their believes on others.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by demmy(m): 10:56am On Oct 06, 2012
Wily+Wily:
Take it or leave it, Awolowo is the first indicted War Criminal of Nigeria/Biafra War.

Indicted by who Achebe?? grin grin grin grin
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by nusirat(m): 10:56am On Oct 06, 2012
Degis:

My boy, I hope you have read and understood what you have type correctly?. I wonder where In the World, would a part of a Sovereign Country be allowed to dismember itself without the agreement of others through a referendum or a mutual say so. However, who started the killings first?. It was the Igbos, who started killing the Northerners and desecreated their corpse by publicly putting their legs on the corpse publicly.

You are absolutely right, people do forget how devilish an ibo man his, go and read Why we struck, you will see how Ibo man betray their colleague by leave their son and kill Sardauna of Sokoto and Prime minister Tafawa Balewa, that is our ethnic crises started, Awolowo do the right against rebel call Ojukwu

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Classicalman(m): 10:57am On Oct 06, 2012
As we speak, a part of the old Biafra, Bakassi is fast slipping out of Nigeria's hands. Hope they will quickly mobilize and declare war on Cameroun.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by WilyWily5: 10:59am On Oct 06, 2012
demmy:

Indicted by who Achebe?? grin grin grin grin

Then why are u angry
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by patostation(m): 10:59am On Oct 06, 2012
It has always been my earnest wish that Igbo and Yoruba unite and work together. Nigeria would have been a different place if this unity was possible. Many Yorubas have contributed immensely to Igbo causes. Col Banjo was even a Biafran soldier. So many modern-day Igbos and Yorubas have been collaborating in sports, economy, business, education, technology and other areas. Yet When it comes to politics, both sides don't seem to see eye-to-eye. The future progress of Nigeria should rest on these two major ethnic groups with the minority tribes. Unfortunately, the Yorubaman cannot be trusted. In any transaction with the Yoruba (political, business and otherwise), please watch your back. The Igboman too can sell an entire tribe for a few millions. That is why other tribes, especially the Hausa-Fulani uses them to scuttle well-meaning Nigerian Agenda. They cannot even put their acts together especially, politically. So the Hausa-Fulani continues to feel that ruling Nigeria is their birthright. And here we are!

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Classicalman(m): 10:59am On Oct 06, 2012
nusirat:

You are absolutely right, people do forget how devilish an ibo man his, go and read Why we struck, you will see how Ibo man betray their colleague by leave their son and kill Sardauna of Sokoto and Prime minister Tafawa Balewa, that is our ethnic crises started, Awolowo do the right against rebel call Ojukwu
Shut up aboki. Who invited u here? And who is the father of the devils Bokoharam?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by demmy(m): 11:02am On Oct 06, 2012
Wily+Wily:

Then why are u angry

Why are you bitter and hateful?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by WilyWily5: 11:03am On Oct 06, 2012
Classicalman: As we speak, a part of the old Biafra, Bakassi is fast slipping out of Nigeria's hands. Hope they will quickly mobilize and declare war on Cameroun.
Your devilish fraudulent indicted war Criminal (Awolowo) conspired with dirty stinking Hausa/Fulani North secretly sold Bakassi off because of the hatred Awo and Yoruba people have for Efik people.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ayox2003: 11:05am On Oct 06, 2012
Ojukwu who wanted to create his own country should be rich enough to feed them.

My igbo brothers would agree with me that Ojukwu was a coward. He later fled and u are all here talking as if he was truly an hero.

He did not lose a pin during the war. Don't pass the buck to Awo. Its Ojukwu that should be blamed.

If he lived truly, he would have truly lived.

Frawzey

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by WilyWily5: 11:12am On Oct 06, 2012
demmy:

Why are you bitter and hateful?
i don't hate, am just a middleman between the Yorubas and Biafrans.
and there is no hate that surpass the one Awolowo gave to innocent infants by starving them to death, this is inhumane.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Chanchit: 11:13am On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

Stop preaching to the choir. Tell your people not to provoke a very angry tribe. That's all.

What rubbish are you talking about, the last input yoruba dropped into your lifes has refused to die down, ur father Achebe is still crying after 40yrs, if we start another one now, I wonder whose name you would call, cos Awo's name has turned to rhymes in all ya mouths.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by gbadexy(m): 11:16am On Oct 06, 2012
Apparently, irrespective of their educational qualification, the easterners all have this only us attitude.
Even a well respected achebe couldn't rise above ethnic sentiment like some yoruba scholars.
So achebe and the ibos hatred of awo really started because he didn't allow them to rule yoruba land, I wonder at the mentality of people that would see it as a right and unforgivable sin to refuse being ruled.
Prof achebe also said the easterners were prevented from being politically relevant in the country, I would have expected this great prof to explain how. Ibos were the information minister of IBB and abacha and the easterners carried out their dirty work, besides the north is relevant because they have unity and present strong front and the south west are also relevant because they are united and combine the voices to support their leaders. The ibos are most likely the second highest tribe in the country and if united, could have been relevant in the scheme of things in the country.
Lastly, I pity all these butty internet warriors that doesn't know what's up, wars are nt fought with mouth, if it were solid men that typed it I would know from their words and may even acknowledge them of their freedom of expression.
I don't ever pray to witness war, but these kids should discontenance biafra time propaganda that yorubas were cowards, ojukwu used propaganda effectively and he wanted to taunt yorubas into joining the war and he also said the military were embarking on a jihad to wipe out all ibos. He told them they were fighting for their survival and that the hausas are coming to finish their massacre so the people needed no incentive to fight to the last man as they thought they were fighting total annihilation.
I am surprised this prof is still mouthing the northern jihad stuff, did the nigerian soldier now wiped out the ibos after defeating them and entering their territory?
I respect genuine ibo business people and I know that the economy of the country would take some serious bashing if they were to be out of the system because they power medium scale industry.
If any war were to be fought, does any right thinking ibo truly believe the yorubas would just fold their arm? Have any of them slapped or molested a yoruba person without provocation and the yoruba kept quiet to feel we are cowards? Mehn, boys are not generally smiling, if any such thing happens, we would equally wipe each other out, you people in the west know that we sef get crase people, but I don't ever pray to witness war, not even in other countries that would affect normal life in nigeria. All these talk of war and preparation is the trade mark of kids, adult don't pray for war, they know the negative effect is too costly and would rather concern themselves on how to better themselves and their family.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 06, 2012
When a tribe like ndigbo wanted to leave nigeria because the people they called brothers and even fought for their independence turned around to butcher them nobody gave a hoot. Now the north is paying heavily. Everyday innocent blood is shed by extremists. You reap what you sow. Nigerians are now crying for breakup. But when igbos did some years they were met with force.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by hardbody: 11:27am On Oct 06, 2012
nusirat:

You are doing very well in the nomadic studies, how are the cows doing and which part of Tiv land are you? I am aware that the cows are running riot that explains your incomprehensible English, keep trying allah will help you. Please avoid boko haram.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Saintp(m): 11:28am On Oct 06, 2012
Infact i'm so dissapointed not just in igbos, hausa and yoruba but to d black race entirely. In saner climes, past events, wars and decisions are analysed, studied and lessons learnt used to shape the future positively. look at japan and USA dropping d nuclear attack history and forming a patnership that have helped japan recover from d trajedy after the war to become the world's second largest economy only loosing d title to china just last year.

For blacks, we will never learn and move forward. we will always argue who is right and who is wrong. Everybody defending thier tribe.How can we now learn from past mistakes and events? The inferiority complex with blacks all over the world and thier inability to view things objectively is worrisome. For example, how can 98% of blacks according to exit polls vote for Barack Obama? Are there no republicans holding to thier ideology among blacks? why will a one time no 3 american citizen, Colin Powell break ranks with his republican party to endorse obama? would he have done it if obama is white? The answer is simple. because he is black.It dosent matter what his ideologies are, blacks will vote for blacks, too bad. If whites starts behaving like dat they call it racism when we are the most racist in this century.

Coming back to d issue, the western world would have hndled this issue better. the issues sorrounding the war would have been objectively reviewed,responsibilities accepted,aplologies made and genuine reconciliation done. There would have been an anniversary yearly where d dead are remembered with flowers dropped and the whole nation sober and reflect on the event.But no, trust blacks, everbody is right. the igbos have no blame, the yorubas have no blame, the hausas have no blame. everybody supports along tribal lines, then how can we move forward? look at how a generation who did not witness the war are taking blind sides. these are account people wrote, it might be true ao false.so why would someone swallow it hook line and sinker cos he wants to defend his tribe?

To all you igbos always blaming Awolowo and calling him names,u guys are as bad as Awolowo because you would have done the same thing if its the other way round. so dont play the saint here.

To all you yoruba people who call ojukwu names and insult the igbo people while supporting Awo, u guys are as bad as ojukwu because you would have done the same thing.it is comfortable for you to exenorate Awo cos you are yoruba but i tell you if it is the other way round, you will call him names the way igbos are doin now.

my country men, the truth is that no tribe is better than the other and shun this tribal superiority contest because we are worse than Achebe,Awolowo,gowon,Ojukwu,Adeunle etc all joined together.

Achebe has given his opinion of what he understands. Whether it is the truth,half truth or false is non of my business cos the intention of the actors can not be verified. Its only God that knows what actually transpired and wot they had in mind.

Finally, as per dis issue, Everybody shares in the blame for the civil war. There were no saints on all sides so lets MOVE ON.

Thanks.

13 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by dayokanu(m): 11:32am On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

My friend go and pick up a book on the war and read. Go to school!
The January 15 1966 coup had NOTHING to do with the war. 30,000 people paid for the mistake of January 15 1966.
There was a counter coup still in July 1966 during which about 30 -50% of top Igbo military officers were murdered.
Still your fathers launched a war against the East in July 1967 - almost ONE FULL YEAR AFTER THE COUNTER COUP of 1966.

HOW MUCH IGBO BLOOD WOULD QUENCH YOUR THIRST FOR THE MISTAKE OF 1966?

Let me tell you. What all these tells us young Igbo is that if any war starts again in Nigeria, WE WILL NOT STOP until either you or we are wiped out.
Just remember this. wink

If you start an action you dont tell the other party when to stop. Its the foolishness of Igbos that would make them think you can kill some peoples leaders and escape the wrath.

If you kill my brother I can either leave you, kill your own brother or wipe out your whole village.

When Archduke Ferdinand was killed the whole world paid for it not just those Bosnian rogues
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by marveouz: 11:33am On Oct 06, 2012
If Awolowo and not Nigeria or Gowon is to be blamed as portrayed in Achebe's Biafra Memoir, Ojukwus innovation of western Nigeria should be looked in the same faith, dont you think he over step his bounds by doing so? or u expect Awolowo to fold arms. Like we all know....In way every thing is right.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by dayokanu(m): 11:35am On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

Any Igbo war with Yoruba will not stop until we chase you Yoruba to Benin and Ghana or wipe you out, because we cannot afford to live with your mouths for another 40 years.
I don't see it any other way.

You know what I say to that? Bring it the fuccck on !!! Hopefully this time we wont be hearing cries of Genocide even after 50yrs.

There was an Adekunle in 1967, there would be several Adekunles this time around, People who would shoot what moves and what doesnt move
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by EzePromoe: 11:37am On Oct 06, 2012
bashr8: see these cowards, where were you when biafran soldiers where butchering you like chicken , oh yea you were busy looking for children to kill , this time around it will only be yorubas no hausa, fulani,tiv,igla,idoma,britain,russia and the rest . all bark and no bite.
Maybe this time, we'll make some Yorubas in Lagos and Edo to deny their Yoruba identity.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by chiboy11(m): 11:39am On Oct 06, 2012
4me I tink d igbos ve been unfairly treated,n if we don't adres dis as a country,d country wil 4eva remain sick d way it s now,am nt a tribalist but I say d truth nt cuse am n igbo man
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by demmy(m): 11:39am On Oct 06, 2012
Wily+Wily:

i don't hate, am just a middleman between the Yorubas and Biafrans.
and there is no hate that surpass the one Awolowo gave to innocent infants by starving them to death, this is inhumane.

You're obviously blunted out of your mind. Was it Awolowo's fault that they couldn't feed themselves? They could smuggled in ammunition but not food? How many of the Biafran leadership dead of starvation? Ojukwu and his ilks fed themselves but couldn't feed their own people and that was Awolowo's fault?

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by marveouz: 11:42am On Oct 06, 2012
ikooko:

In that case, Achebe should acknowledge also that Ojukwu arrogantly led his people to be slaughtered senselesly.

Thank you oooo.....And they forget the fact that their soldiers were fat and looking fresh while their women and children were starving....greedy people...led by a coward. I usually feel remorse for my igbo brothers...but since we all want to be bias and forget the facts by painting a man who did you all the good by ending the war quickly. I believe its best if everyone starts bearing their fathers name.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by autometrixboy: 11:44am On Oct 06, 2012
achebe report is nothing but nonsense,i can assure you that Igbo can never be nigeria president,reason,all they know is money,money,money, see their leader Emmanuel Nwayawun has already told them to 4get about 2015. they can never have one voice.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by WilyWily5: 11:50am On Oct 06, 2012
demmy:

You're obviously blunted out of your mind. Was it Awolowo's fault that they couldn't feed themselves? They could smuggled in ammunition but not food? How many of the Biafran leadership dead of starvation? Ojukwu and his ilks fed themselves but couldn't feed their own people and that was Awolowo's fault?
I think the real mistake Biafra Cabinet made was to allow Awolowo leave Calabar prison alife, had the knew he is capable of drinking Rat poison(Otapiapia), they could have delivered to him any quantity he is able to drink

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by marveouz: 11:52am On Oct 06, 2012
1966 Crisis, Coup and Biafra

Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe
Although Azikiwe was abroad when Nigeria experienced its first military coup in January 1966, he offered to return soon after it. He was largely ignored by the military government of Major-General Aguiyi-Ironsi, which acted as if he did not exist. When the Igbo Eastern Region seceded from Nigeria in May 1967 as the republic of Biafra, it placed Azikiwe in a difficult position, and gave him a stark choice. He had the choice of either maintaining national unity by supporting his lifelong dream and work of a united Nigeria. To do so would cause him to abandon the struggle of his fellow Igbos in the Eastern Region. His alternate option was to support Biafra, thereby making himself an accomplice in the destruction of his life’s work of maintaining Nigeria as a united country.

In the months preceding the war, Zik repeatedly advised against secession but according to his son Bamidele, Zik “was shouted down by people that were prompting for the war”. Reluctantly, he initially supported Biafra and his prestige allowed him to gain sympathy for Biafra’s cause and international recognition. Using his political connections, he led Biafran delegations abroad to press for recognition for the fledgling state. He persuaded Presidents Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia to recognise Biafra (among his other notable successes in this regard was the bizarre President Francois “Papa Doc” Duvalier of Haiti).

He was a reluctant secessionist, and it must have broken his heart to see his beloved Nigeria being ripped apart by war. By 1968, Zik was having second thoughts. He appealed to Biafra’s leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, to negotiate with Nigerian leader Gowon, rather than fight on and risk what eventually happened: the elongation of Biafran suffering, defeat, and unconditional surrender. When Ojukwu would not heed his call, Azikiwe appeared in Lagos beside Gowon, and appealed for a cessation of the fighting. Some of his fellow Igbos labelled him a traitor. After the war ended, he lapsed into the background, stayed away from politics, and moved to Nsukka.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by demmy(m): 11:56am On Oct 06, 2012
Wily+Wily:

I think the real mistake Biafra Cabinet made was to allow Awolowo leave Calabar prison alife, had the knew he is capable of drinking Rat poison(Otapiapia), they could have delivered to him any quantity he is able to drink

Meanwhile Yigbos couldn't and still can't feed themselves. I say we enact another blockade. grin grin grin

Sorry tribe. Biafra ko, biAfro ni.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ichidodo: 11:57am On Oct 06, 2012
CyberG:

OnlyFOOL is really stup.id. The poster had more sense than you apparently and just like ojuku was making okra mouth, he later was lamenting how no one batted an eye lid when children and women bore the brunt of the war in iboland. Then, ojuku said he was prepared, his iboz have been prepared for war since. I can't wait for the beginning of hostilities again and I can only hope you lead that rebellion because I will eliminate you and feed your dumb.ass to the dog!
SHUT DA FURCK UP! YIRIBA PRICK, U R AS COWARDLY AS URE FARCKIN RACE. U CANNOT DO SHIIT.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by cjfavour(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2012
Pls its nt ibos bt igbos if we're all talking about biafrans. We are IGBOS. Awo is a saint bt under his watch as finance commisioner,20 pounds were giving to biafrans after d war. What type of saint is this? Lets nt forget david mark and d abandon property. Was awo nt there when all these were happening? Today,yorubas and igbos are second class citizens of Nigeria according to hausa fulanis. Yorubas,rise up and tell them dt it was nt because of them d northerner dt igbos were defeated bt bcs of u. Today,d northerners have said dt lagos does nt belong to yorubas bt a corridor. hahahahahahahahahahah. Yoruba land for christ sake. Rise up yorubas. The truth is dt you all are nt like Achebe depicted u. Atleast col Banjo and co are nt like dt. Arise yorubas,arise and take ur proper place in 9ja!!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Osoba, Ogun Deputy Gov, Others Dump APC / Why My Aide Tore His PDP Membership Card — Governor Dankwambo (photo) / Buhari Didn't Appoint Me To Head Transition Committee - Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.