Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,074 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (27788 Views)

Driver’s Death In LASTMA Custody Stirs Controversy / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / "Secret Letter" From Obasanjo To Jonathan Stirs Anger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ikooko(m): 6:03am On Oct 06, 2012
dayokanu:

The greater sin is leadind innocent people to war and fleeing in the middle to save yourself while others are left to die. That in addition to being a paedophile.

Im certain Ojuku is getting rimmed by Lucifer himself right now
y
Dayo, no sleep today? This issue is generating a lot of heat from all angles.

Anyway I just hope Ojukwu will not make mistake to declare republic of biafra where he is, Pa Awo will be more than ready to give tactical advise for second Victory.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Onlytruth(m): 6:03am On Oct 06, 2012
asha 80: let us be honest there is never going to be any confrontation or war btw igbos and yorubas.not sure if igbos are ready for another war and from what i have seen yorubas are generally not interested in armed conflict.highest than can happen is lagos leadership throwing sublimal signals of discontent.

I pray that majority of our people don't think like this because this is exactly why we were caught off guard in 1966/67.
I have since learned that a war can happen in Nigeria ANY MOMENT.
Ndigbo si na agha akara aka adighi eri ngwuro!

6 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by CyberG: 6:09am On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

I pray that majority of our people don't think like this because this is exactly why we were caught off guard in 1966/67.
I have since learned that a war can happen in Nigeria ANY MOMENT.
Ndigbo si na agha akara aka adighi eri ngwuro!

OnlyFOOL is really stup.id. The poster had more sense than you apparently and just like ojuku was making okra mouth, he later was lamenting how no one batted an eye lid when children and women bore the brunt of the war in iboland. Then, ojuku said he was prepared, his iboz have been prepared for war since. I can't wait for the beginning of hostilities again and I can only hope you lead that rebellion because I will eliminate you and feed your dumb.ass to the dog!

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ikooko(m): 6:12am On Oct 06, 2012
cjrane: Achebe spoke the truth. I would have been disappointed if he did not stick to his tradition of speaking what happened,no matter who feels angry that he dared to speak.The truth is the truth even if it took a million years to say it.

In that case, Achebe should acknowledge also that Ojukwu arrogantly led his people to be slaughtered senselesly.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by bashr8: 6:12am On Oct 06, 2012
CyberG:

OnlyFOOL is really stup.id. The poster had more sense than you apparently and just like ojuku was making okra mouth, he later was lamenting how no one batted an eye lid when children and women bore the brunt of the war in iboland. Then, ojuku said he was prepared, his iboz have been prepared for war since. I can't wait for the beginning of hostilities again and I can only hope you lead that rebellion because I will eliminate you and feed your dumb.ass to the dog!
see these cowards, where were you when biafran soldiers where butchering you like chicken , oh yea you were busy looking for children to kill , this time around it will only be yorubas no hausa, fulani,tiv,igla,idoma,britain,russia and the rest . all bark and no bite.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Onlytruth(m): 6:13am On Oct 06, 2012
CyberG:

There were people like myself within the leadership of Eastern Nigeria, and later the Biafran military -Ojukwu never allowed them to implement their own plans.
Ojukwu made the greatest mistake of his life by thinking like some of my brothers here. He was still calling Awo "Papa", while the old devil was busy plotting the annihilation of Easterners. Ojukwu didn't know what hit him when Awo turned!

You have the ONLYTRUTHS of Igbo youth to deal with now.
Different time and different group of Igbo completely.
The pacifists among us won't be given a say, NOT even one say! wink

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by bashr8: 6:14am On Oct 06, 2012
ikooko:

In that case, Achebe should acknowledge also that Ojukwu arrogantly led his people to be slaughtered senselesly.
ojukwu did no lead anybody to anywhere , nigeria agreed on aburi accord in ghana and when they came back gowon rejected it, gowon attacked bisfra and gowons govt was illegal to start with .learn some history at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aFc4VrV-94&feature=player_embedded

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by lagcity(m): 7:45am On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

There were people like myself within the leadership of Eastern Nigeria, and later the Biafran military -Ojukwu never allowed them to implement their own plans.
Ojukwu made the greatest mistake of his life by thinking like some of my brothers here. He was still calling Awo "Papa", while the old devil was busy plotting the annihilation of Easterners. Ojukwu didn't know what hit him when Awo turned!

You have the ONLYTRUTHS of Igbo youth to deal with now.
Different time and different group of Igbo completely.
The pacifists among us won't be given a say, NOT even one say! wink

chor! chor! chor! chor! na so Igbo man dey run him mouth. Emotional fools! What do you mean Awo turned? The old man wasted his precious time preaching to flat-headed, thick-skulled Okoros and did they listen? No! Zik didn't even bother to preach. I guess he knew his flat-headed brethren too well.
Awo, the voice of reason, was ignored. The result? Well you know the rest. Make your bed, lay in it. No whining!

7 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by demmy(m): 7:56am On Oct 06, 2012
^Abi o!!! O se jare.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 06, 2012
The amalgamation was a mistake.

Let us sit down and negotiate a split.

We belong to different nations.

We have no common ideologies, why do we continue to deceive ourselves?

10 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by solomonkane(m): 9:56am On Oct 06, 2012
*Walks in on the thread, sees the usual fluffy brained internet warriors promising fire and brimstone, pulls down pants, defacates on them all, pulls up pants and walks away*

5 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 06, 2012
“Let our Igbo brothers be reminded that about three quarters of their assets not in the Eastern region are in Lagos. We have been very liberal and accommodating and have allowed them to live undisturbed. When there was civil war, it was only in Yoruba land that the estate of the Igbo was returned with the rent. Let no one think that the Yoruba were fools by being so accommodating.”

So what does that mean, can they chaste igbos out of Lagos. Nonsense statement. let them try it and we will take the war to their doorstep. WOE TO ANY TRIBE THAT WE WILL VENT OUR ANGER ON.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by sheyguy: 10:07am On Oct 06, 2012
So biafra really wanted the support of Nigeria while she fought the latter! . . . . Damn that's serious.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by sheyguy: 10:11am On Oct 06, 2012
solomonkane: *Walks in on the thread, sees the usual fluffy brained internet warriors promising fire and brimstone, pulls down pants, defacates on them all, pulls up pants and walks away*
imagine the poo settling on some flat ish head. WeedzTribe don suffer oh.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by WilyWily5: 10:15am On Oct 06, 2012
I hear sey Mama H.I.D Awolowo dey cry, people around her said since yesterday the old woman refused to eat

4 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by IleIfe2(m): 10:16am On Oct 06, 2012
[size=15pt]Go to hell. You deserve what you got. if you like, wake Ojukwu up to write his own book. "Memoir of a run away coward". oshi ati iranu[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by dealslip(f): 10:22am On Oct 06, 2012
Wily+Wily:
Achebe don finish Awolowo,
It is written forever, future generation will remember Awolowo as a mass murderer.

Ode didirin. Ojukwu started d war, led his people into deep troubles because of his selfishness. Then lazy people like Achebe come out †̥ say I̶̲̥̅̊t̶̲̥̅̊ was Awo's fault. When he was starting  war did he actually count his cost. Ojukwu eventually absconded. He was never a leader. He was a selfish, self centred and ethnic bigot.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by sheyguy: 10:22am On Oct 06, 2012
Well i hear say some people no fit shout cos them know the truth . . . Biafra declared itself outa Naija and was partially shut out, any problem with that? Enh WeedzTribe people?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by hammedkola(m): 10:22am On Oct 06, 2012
Abeg leave that man with his ego jooor...Rejected two national award. What has happened, has happened...If he wants to fight Awolowo, he should go and meet him in even jare....

I love every tribe in Nigeria, no matter their defects.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by larride(m): 10:24am On Oct 06, 2012
I still don't understand something, You declare state of Biafra in a sovereign country and you expect the country to just sit down and look while you disassociate yourself. Civil war is always bloody, So you expect a cabinet member of that government to just sit down and fold his arms when his country is at war. I'm sure Ojukwu is very certain that declaring THE STATE of BIAFRA will start a war. so deal with it.

Onlytruth:

Any Igbo war with Yoruba will not stop until we chase you Yoruba to Benin and Ghana or wipe you out, because we cannot afford to live with your mouths for another 40 years.
I don't see it any other way.

You are praying for another CIVIL war abi? I pity this generation.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 06, 2012
Sipin Alomo on Indomie noodles as i watch ds unfolding drama.. Evnthou ds intelectual tusle of historical facts & fallacies will nt change d price of garri in d market, i wish d media batle can be fought phisically.. so if a good proprotion of d yorubaz & igboz kill dem selves by demselves.. Minority tribes like ijaw can av more mouth, guts & will to retain power untill therz no more cassava bread in d market. Eemm, i see an Ijaw man as president, an ibibio woman as vice president of Nigeria... Hehehhe.. I Lafs in GEJ..
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Madawaki01(m): 10:28am On Oct 06, 2012
42 years after d war and igbos hav not learn dat ojukwu led them astray,igbo children were killed through starvation.LOGIC OF WAR,just as biafran force invade neutral mid west,so dat OJUKWU IS A B.A.S.T.A.R.D.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Classicalman(m): 10:29am On Oct 06, 2012
Onlytruth:

Any Igbo war with Yoruba will not stop until we chase you Yoruba to Benin and Ghana or wipe you out, because we cannot afford to live with your mouths for another 40 years.
I don't see it any other way.
Nwanne m nwoke there is no need for all the hate. Fact remains that the Yorubas were practically the only people that kept our properties for us, took care and handed the rents over to us after d war. Even our so called south south brothers grabbed them in the abandoned property saga. I witnessed these. One good favour deserves another. As for Awo, it is not for me to Judge him, let posterity do that. Achebe remains a man i take on as a mentor. Lets bury our hatchet and fight our common enemy.

14 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Madawaki01(m): 10:30am On Oct 06, 2012
Do u know what his(ojukwu)kinsmen are doing to his wife now?IGBOS AND THEIR BAD CULTURE

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by bigboy3: 10:30am On Oct 06, 2012
hammedkola: Abeg leave that man with his ego jooor...Rejected two national award. What has happened, has happened...If he wants to fight Awolowo, he should go and meet him in even jare....

I love every tribe in Nigeria, no matter their defects.

Bro, I tire o.....dem call something WAR....make your opponents dey pamper you? So the promoters of the war didn't know there would be casualties and usually children and women will be mostly affected.

NEXT...............".
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Madawaki01(m): 10:32am On Oct 06, 2012
Classicalman: Nwanne m nwoke there is no need for all the hate. Fact remains that the Yorubas were practically the only people that kept our properties for us, took care and handed the rents over to us after d war. Even our so called south south brothers grabbed them in the abandoned property saga. I witnessed these. One good favour deserves another. As for Awo, it is not for me to Judge him, let posterity do that. Achebe remains a man i take on as a mentor. Lets bury our hatchet and fight our common enemy.
the only igbo i hav ever seen on nairaland that has brain and made use of it..KUDOS
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Samxiulee: 10:33am On Oct 06, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: If what Achebe wrote is the TRUTH, then why shouldn't he tell the TRUTH? Why do some persons want him to hide the TRUTH? That someone says it as it is does not mean the person is still ANGRY or BITTER. The TRUTH is the TRUTH and the TRUTH can never be late in coming. So SORRY if it offended some Yoruba persons or any other person but the TRUTH should not be withheld because it will offend some persons. Again the TRUTH may be RIGHT or WRONG depending on your side of the divide or your understanding of issues. To some persons it is right to use starvation as weapon of war but to others it is an ATROCIOUS act. In the opinion of Achebe and some other persons, it is WRONG but in the opinion of others, including the Late Chief Awo, it is RIGHT. Such is life. But bottomline is was starvation used as weapon of war during the Nigerian civil war? Yes! Was Late Awo the driver of such policy? Yes! Was late Awo interested in becoming president of Nigeria after decimating the 'enemy'? Yes! Was Achebe right in documenting these TRUTHS in his book for posterity sake? I think yes. FOR THE INFORMATION OF ALL, not ALL weapons of war are acceptable or 'fair'. That is the reason you have the red cross and UN to deliver food to the civillian population even in the period of war. Also it is unacceptable to use certain cluster bombs during war or bomb certain targets during war. Again Igbos did not declare war on Nig rather it was Nigeria that attacked Igbo homeland after the east seceded due to massacre of Igbos in the north
The Truth!I really don't understand how starvation was used by Awolowo on two million easterners mostly children,I don't understand and have never come across where starvation was mention as a weapon of war,I know there are blockades from biblical period till date (gaza strip),or a siege,but during the war Awolowo was not the commander in chief,he was not even in the military he was a mere advicer to the military leader who had the last order.
During the war the old Eastern region had a sea port,a border with Cameroun,so how come Awolowo starved the people,even when they had their own land to graze upon and cultivate their own food,why should I feed you only for you to come back and fight me?
I av read the story the prof is talking about but the real truth is that he was being economic about the truth,the Nigerian govt at that time use to send food to the east through the red cross to feed the children and the women during the war,but I was discovered that the biafran soldiers hijacked the food materials (which is a common thing by soldiers during war) the purpose of feeding the little ones was defeated,Awo then ordered that the supply should be stopped,so please how did these translate to genocide?if the soldiers took the food that was meant for their children,who is to be blame?Awolowo or the soldiers

8 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by IleIfe2(m): 10:38am On Oct 06, 2012
bashr8: ojukwu did no lead anybody to anywhere , nigeria agreed on aburi accord in ghana and when they came back gowon rejected it, gowon attacked bisfra and gowons govt was illegal to start with .learn some history at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aFc4VrV-94&feature=player_embedded

wow great video
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by datola: 10:38am On Oct 06, 2012
Nigeria is finished with the likes of Achebe as intellectual icon. It is obvious from this revelation that he does not believe in Nigeria's oneness and that's why he has been rejecting National honors not because of bad governance. I counsel him to repent so that he will not start his own hell fire from earth.

Igbos are blaming Yorubas and vice Versa, non seems to blame Hausa, that's why they have been having upper.

Nairaland is a forum where igbos are always seeking opportunity to attack the Yorubas and an Igbo man is a commissioner in Lagos, they are all over Lagos prospering without hindrance- sure that can never happen in other regions.

I think we are supposed to appreciate each others instead of this campaign of calumny led by now intellectually challenged Achebe.

9 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Madawaki01(m): 10:40am On Oct 06, 2012
datola: Nigeria is finished with the likes of Achebe as intellectual icon. It is obvious from this revelation that he does not believe in Nigeria's oneness and that's why he has been rejecting National honors not because of bad governance. I counsel him to repent so that he will not start his own hell fire from earth.

Igbos are blaming Yorubas and vice Versa, non seems to blame Hausa, that's why they have been having upper.

Nairaland is a forum where igbos are always seeking opportunity to attack the Yorubas and an Igbo man is a commissioner in Lagos, they are all over Lagos prospering without hindrance- sure that can never happen in other regions.

I think we are supposed to appreciate each others instead of this campaign of calumny led by now intellectually challenged Achebe.
u got brain jare........KUDOS

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by larride(m): 10:41am On Oct 06, 2012
datola: Nigeria is finished with the likes of Achebe as intellectual icon. It is obvious from this revelation that he does not believe in Nigeria's oneness and that's why he has been rejecting National honors not because of bad governance. I counsel him to repent so that he will not start his own hell fire from earth.

Likes 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by dannylink: 10:44am On Oct 06, 2012
Truth or no truth we dont need it now

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nyesom Wike Pictured With His Wife And Kids In Anglican Church / Eyitayo Jegede Arrives His Polling Unit To Cast His Vote(pics) / Presidency: The North Is Unstoppable Till 2023 — Yerima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.