Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (27787 Views)

Driver’s Death In LASTMA Custody Stirs Controversy / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch / "Secret Letter" From Obasanjo To Jonathan Stirs Anger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by ACM10: 7:12pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

That was the comment I made to your indigenisation nonsense you rant about. You won't blame your short sighted leaders but of course put the blame on someone who has no connection with your misery.

There is no need to give you a response since your comment is mostly filled with denials, justification and deflection of blame. Afteral Awo's interview is filled with lies, half-truths and exaggerations. So, how do I expect a better response from his supporter?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 06, 2012
Dede1:

He elaborated further by saying it does not make sense feeding your enemy to have strength to continuing fighting.

Tell me what's in this statement that is not clear or logical for you to understand. Do you feed your enemy to grow fat to be able to kill you?

Why did Ojukwu not think for a second that the food being sent to Biafra could be poisoned to exterminate him and the rest of Igbo people? Of course, he knew Awolowo would never approve of such a thing so he cornered the food and allowed the masses to die of hunger. That's your hero, that's your saint, that's your immaculate being. Because Awolowo said, stop the food, your general with the greatest army south of Sahara concluded Awo was the greatest evil on Earth.

The rest of your post is nothing more than a junk. We can not all share the same opinion. There must be an outlier. You remember a man call Ike Nwanchukwu, he fought on Nigeria side. Think deeply about it.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by abouzaid: 7:20pm On Oct 06, 2012
@prof corruption, so after seizing foreign owned companies at undervalued costs, u still expect foreign investments to flood into nigeria? Awo was d reason this country never got industrialized. And it seems many choose to forget this on tribal grounds

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 06, 2012
ACM10:

There is no need to give you a response since your comment is mostly filled with denials, justification and deflection of blame. Afteral Awo's interview is filled with lies, half-truths and exaggerations. So, how do I expect a better response from his supporter?

Bwa ha ha ha ha! Una neva jam. You are the victims, you know. I have great pity for you folks.

I should also expect a great and objective response from his non supporter. That's the logic of a typical Igbo man.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nebeuwa(m): 7:22pm On Oct 06, 2012
I can say one thing, here in the United States, everyone has heard of Professor Chinua Achebe, because his novel, Things Fall Apart, is required reading in most schools. I had to read the book years ago, when I was in high school.

And I doubt anyone in the West knows much if any about Chief Obafemi Awolowo. That is just my 2 cents on the matter.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 06, 2012
abouzaid: @prof corruption, so after seizing foreign owned companies at undervalued costs, u still expect foreign investments to flood into nigeria? Awo was d reason this country never got industrialized. And it seems many choose to forget this on tribal grounds

Don't come here and share ignorance! Read about indigenisation policy. Which companies were undervalued? Undervalued by who? The foreigners were not sent away, they were only required to have local partners and some of them merely used the locals as front to continue their ownership.

Read about it before you ooze out trash
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by abouzaid: 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2012
@ prof corruption. Ike nwachukwu was pubic relation job. He has no substance on d flow of events. There were actually a few like him who were even photographed by d nigerian side for pr job purpose. Besides his mother is hausa and his father probable considered an efulefu. Every society have a few like his father.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Dede1(m): 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Tell me what's in this statement that is not clear or logical for you to understand. Do you feed your enemy to grow fat to be able to kill you?

Why did Ojukwu not think for a second that the food being sent to Biafra could be poisoned to exterminate him and the rest of Igbo people? Of course, he knew Awolowo would never approve of such a thing so he cornered the food and allowed the masses to die of hunger. That's your hero, that's your saint, that's your immaculate being. Because Awolowo said, stop the food, your general with the greatest army south of Sahara concluded Awo was the greatest evil on Earth.

The rest of your post is nothing more than a junk. We can not all share the same opinion. There must be an outlier. You remember a man call Ike Nwanchukwu, he fought on Nigeria side. Think deeply about it.

You need to express yourself intelligently and logically comport to the premise of the subject matter to extend this debate. Awolowo and Yoruba fought alongside with the northerners yet he had audacious pedigree to call someone irredeemable when simple truth was told about his actions.

Of course, I know a man called Ike Nwachukwu. Unlike Awolowo and Yoruba people, Ike Nwachukwu has never shamelessly denied his participation in the war or attempt to rewrite the history of events during the war or manufacture a prose as in the case of Lt Col Francis Fajuyi wanting to die with Ironsi.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by abouzaid: 7:27pm On Oct 06, 2012
@ prof corruption. Read o a lawal o level economics. He is a yoruba man and stop d insults on me. It's not necessary
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 06, 2012
Nebeuwa: I can say one thing, here in the United States, everyone has heard of Professor Chinua Achebe, because his novel, Things Fall Apart, is required reading in most schools. I had to read the book years ago, when I was in high school.

And I doubt anyone in the West knows much if any about Chief Obafemi Awolowo. That is just my 2 cents on the matter.

Nonsense. So because someone is known in US, the fellow is now important? Stop deceiving yourselves

All I need to translate a book to several languages is to assemble language experts and provide the money.
simple. It's all about money, nothing more.

As for the book selling 10m copies? Who gives a fck? Jennifer Lopez On the Dance Floor, a track of less than 6 minutes sold more than that trash based on superstitious Okonkwo. Where is he today? He is in Brown university-a pseudo Ivy league. He is not teaching at the so called best university in the world-Harvard. As I type illustrious Yoruba sons are teaching in Harvard in same field of literature. To cap it all, why has he not won a Nobel to really convince the world that he's not over hyped? Somebody here in Nigeria won it in 1986, a lot more than twenty years ago!

I as a person see nothing in the Things Fall Apart trash. It was a badly written book. He merely exposed the cliches and proverbs of Igbo and not a superb works of genius in the class of Animal Farm et al. No wonder, nothing to write home about him after that. You can't sustain intelligence on copy and paste.

I personally see him as somebody because of his criticism of Conrad. Read Conrad: Image of Africa. That's the only thing worth while from Achebe. The rest are over hyped trash recycled to deceive the world. Una neva jam.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 06, 2012
Dede1:

You need to express yourself intelligently and logically comport to the premise of the subject matter to extend this debate. Awolowo and Yoruba fought alongside with the northerners yet he had audacious pedigree to call someone irredeemable when simple truth was told about his actions.

Of course, I know a man called Ike Nwachukwu. Unlike Awolowo and Yoruba people, Ike Nwachukwu has never shamelessly denied his participation in the war or attempt to rewrite the history of events during the war or manufacture a prose as in the case of Lt Col Francis Fajuyi wanting to die with Ironsi.

If you knew about Nwachukwu, why did you mention Soyinka? You now see there is an outlier in every tribe. You are learning.
You can't bring misery upon yourselves and blame it on others: that's rewriting history. That's what your senile professor is doing.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by holums(m): 7:49pm On Oct 06, 2012
Achebe wil cause anoda problem....:his words is an offence to d yoruba
race and now CPC has find d book offensive saying its a fresh invitation
for war. Did Awo caused d civil war or was he d one dat caused d Jan
15,1966 coup or was he d one dat caused d Igbo massacre in d North
Sept 1966.....He advised Gowon on how to end d war,after d war he
resigned from his post......Achebe failed to point out T.Y Danjuma who
masterminded d massacre of igbos after he killed Ironsi & Fajuyi
So many books had been written concerning dis civil war.....of which
Madiebo's book stated dat shortage of weapons and lack of support
from international community contributed to d collapse of Biafra.
Enough of this tribal insult between Yoruba and Igbo on Nairaland
it won't solve any problem....the North caused most of d problems
we are facing today......d way forward is wot we should thinking of
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Dede1(m): 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

If you knew about Nwachukwu, why did you mention Soyinka? You now see there is an outlier in every tribe. You are learning.
You can't bring misery upon yourselves and blame it on others: that's rewriting history. That's what your senile professor is doing.

It seems you are purely disconnected from reality of life when you foolishly attempted to compare Jenifer Lopez’s clowning acts with literary works of Chinua Achebe. I do not think you could be helped. Awolowo should have used the word-irredeemable on you. I called up Soyinka’s name so that a sake of hammers such you should realize Biafra was not triviality.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by aljharem(m): 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2012
holums: Achebe wil cause anoda problem....:his words is an offence to d yoruba
race and now CPC has find d book offensive saying its a fresh invitation
for war. Did Awo caused d civil war or was he d one dat caused d Jan
15,1966 coup or was he d one dat caused d Igbo massacre in d North
Sept 1966.....He advised Gowon on how to end d war,after d war he
resigned from his post......Achebe failed to point out T.Y Danjuma who
masterminded d massacre of igbos after he killed Ironsi & Fajuyi
So many books had been written concerning dis civil war.....of which
Madiebo's book stated dat shortage of weapons and lack of support
from international community contributed to d collapse of Biafra.
Enough of this tribal insult between Yoruba and Igbo on Nairaland
it won't solve any problem....the North caused most of d problems
we are facing today......d way forward is wot we should thinking of

To be honest I dislike people like you. What has the NORTH bleeping DONE AGAIN ?

Is it the north that forced Igbos into this union without a clause ?

Please know you history, stop blaming the north for everything.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 06, 2012
abouzaid: @ prof corruption. Ike nwachukwu was pubic relation job. He has no substance on d flow of events. There were actually a few like him who were even photographed by d nigerian side for pr job purpose. Besides his mother is hausa and his father probable considered an efulefu. Every society have a few like his father.

Why the explanation? Does he have Igbo blood flowing in him? If yes, that defeats the trash you put up there.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by MrGlobe(m): 8:01pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Nonsense. So because someone is known in US, the fellow is now important? Stop deceiving yourselves

All I need to translate a book to several languages is to assemble language experts and provide the money.

As for the book selling 10m copies? Who gives a fck? Jennifer Lopez On the Dance Floor, a track of less than 6 minutes sold more than that trash based on superstitious Okonkwo. Where is he today? He is in Brown university-a pseudo Ivy league. He is not teaching at the so called best university in the world-Harvard. As I type illustrious Yoruba sons are teaching in Harvard in same field of literature. To cap it all, why has he not won a Nobel to really convince the world that he's not over hyped? Somebody here in Nigeria won it in 1986, a lot more than twenty years ago!

I as a person see nothing in the Things Fall Apart trash. It was a badly written book. He merely exposed the cliches and proverbs of Igbo and not a superb works of genius in the class of Animal Farm et al. No wonder, nothing to write home about him after that. You can't sustain intelligence on copy and paste.

I personally see him as somebody because of his criticism of Conrad. Read Conrad: Image of Africa. That's the only thing worth while from Achebe. The rest are over hyped trash recycled to deceive the world. Una neva jam.
^
Who is this fool, Who gave this psycopath access to the internet. Why is any knowledgeable person engaging this fool with ewedu brain. Is it not obvious amala and ewedu has turned another yorrober man into 'irredemable' madness. Allow the mad man to dance naked alone in the market square
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by vanbonattel: 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

DID AWOLOWO EVER WRITE ANYTHING, EVEN IF ITS A POEM?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2012
Dede1:

It seems you are purely disconnected from reality of life when you foolishly attempted to compare Jenifer Lopez’s clowning acts with literary works of Chinua Achebe. I do not think you could be helped. Awolowo should have used the word-irredeemable on you. I called up Soyinka’s name so that a sake of hammers such you should realize Biafra was not triviality.

I know it's really painful to realise afterall that someone sees the hype as nothing more than what it is, a trash. If "clowning" fetches more fame, more money than your so called copy and paste literary works, what else is there again? It's only an Efulefu that calls singing clowning.

Nwachukwu name was also apt to explain that the war wasn't a joke on the Nigerian side as well.

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by vanbonattel: 8:03pm On Oct 06, 2012
Mr. Globe:

^
Who is this fool, Who gave this psycopath access to the internet. Why is any knowledgeable person engaging this fool with ewedu brain. Is it not obvious amala and ewedu has turned another yorrober man into 'irredemable' madness. Allow the mad man to dance naked alone in the market square

i HAVE BEEN WATCHING HIS MADNESS DEVELOP. THE NEXT THING IS FOR HIS TO PULL OFF HIS PANTS AND DANCE AZONTO IN THE MARKET.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by vanbonattel: 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I know it's really painful to realise afterall that someone sees the hype as nothing more than what it is, a trash. If "clowning" fetches more fame, more money than your so called copy and paste literary works, what else is there again? It's only an Efulefu that calls singing clowning.

Nwachukwu name was also apt to explain that the war wasn't a joke on the Nigerian side as well.

Has your father ever written a trash book? illiterate dundy
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by felifeli: 8:06pm On Oct 06, 2012
van bonattel:

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
This child was born 13 years ago. Go and do your research well , before coming to join conversation with adults here. Did Awolowo ever write anything ? Laugh of the day grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 06, 2012
van bonattel:

where do you think this statement is taken from " Nigeria is just a mere geographical expression" ?
Google is your friend

Awolowo was a lawyer and got to the pinnacle (SAN) of his profession before he passed away.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by vanbonattel: 8:08pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

where do you think this statement is taken from " Nigeria is just a mere geographical expression" ?
Google is your friend

Awolowo was a lawyer and got to the pinnacle (SAN) of his profession before he passed away.

And the fool cheated and betrayed people to protect a mere geographical expression?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by vanbonattel: 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2012
felifeli:

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
This child was born 13 years ago. Go and do your research well , before coming to join conversation with adults here. Did Awolowo ever write anything ? Laugh of the day grin grin grin

Which stewpid poem did the fool write?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Dede1(m): 8:11pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I am not surprise at the stream of your thoughts as well as your seemingly expressed values. Let me inform you that show-monkey makes more money than you will ever have in your miserable life. Do you need to be informed that a bird can sing but write, olodo?
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by demmy(m): 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2012
van bonattel:

These set of igboids are ignorant.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2012
van bonattel:

Has your father ever written a trash book? illiterate dundy

You don't get it. Everyone can not be a writer. Why is Achebe not a surgeon?
You choose a profession for whatever reasons. But we judge you based on your output. Achebe output is disppointing, shameful and nothing to write home about.

Achebe is nothing more than David Beckham in football. He was over hyped by the British but ended up not winning a single worthwhile award.
Why? Because the world saw through the propaganda. Achebe is thoroughly and completely over hyped.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by holums(m): 8:14pm On Oct 06, 2012
alj harem:

To be honest I dislike people like you. What has the NORTH bleeping DONE AGAIN ?

Mr alj harem please don't dislike me.......I'm only saying my opinion
North did not cause d all d problems of Nigeria,some are caused by
other ethnic groups who also have there own share of d blame......
D 1st coup in Nigeria in Jan 15,1966 was Igbos dominated....dat coup
is one of d reason why we stagnant today in Nigeria
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by holums(m): 8:14pm On Oct 06, 2012
alj harem:

Mr alj harem please don't dislike me.......I'm only saying my opinion
North did not cause d all d problems of Nigeria,some are caused by
other ethnic groups who also have there own share of d blame......
D 1st coup in Nigeria in Jan 15,1966 was Igbo dominated....dat coup
is one of d reason why we are stagnant today in Nigeria
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 06, 2012
Dede1:

I am not surprise at the stream of your thoughts as well as your seemingly expressed values. Let me inform you that show-monkey makes more money than you will ever have in your miserable life. Do you need to be informed that a bird can sing but write, olodo?

Olodo, get a life and stop revising history. Your leaders brought avoidable shame, misery, suffering and disappointment upon you. Hold your leaders responsible.
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by Obipat(m): 8:16pm On Oct 06, 2012
Awo is a selfish man,he comitted suicide good for him
Re: Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy by vanbonattel: 8:16pm On Oct 06, 2012
Prof Corruption:

You don't get it. Everyone can not be a writer. Why is Achebe not a surgeon?
You choose a profession for whatever reasons. But we judge you based on your output. Achebe output is disppointing, shameful and nothing to write home about.

Achebe is nothing more than David Beckham in football. He was over hyped by the British but ended up not winning a single worthwhile award.
Why? Because the world saw through the propaganda. Achebe is thoroughly and completely over hyped.

David Beckham is still the golden boy of world football, the guy only need to turn up and sit on the bench to pull a full stadium. Achebe is the golden man of ancient african historical writings, that is how its going to be till the end of the world.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

IBB’s Statement: PDP Reacts To Advice To Vote President Buhari Out / Peter Obi Storms Edo To Engage LP Governorship Aspirants (Video, Photos) / Nyesom Wike Pictured With His Wife And Kids In Anglican Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.