Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50077 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2012
Anyone else saying hi (abi na I) to this:

DECEMBER SPECIAL EDITION OF NAIRALAND DIALOGUE: EL-CLASSICO

TITLE:
"There is a systemic and deeply entrenched effort in Nigeria to marginalise Igbos from real political power. True or false. "

TEAM TRUE: Onlytruth, PointB, Dede1
TEAM FALSE: Dayokanu, Katsumoto, Desola

Issue may however arise from selection of judges, since everyone has a pre-held belief about this. Or should we make it a no-judges dialogue, just choose someone to moderate?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 05, 2012
If guys endorse this, we can pull it off.

Get the participants' consent and start the preparations for this mother of all debates.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 7:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
Jarus: Anyone else saying hi (abi na I) to this:

TITLE:
"There is a systemic and deeply entrenched effort in Nigeria to marginalise Igbos from real political power. True or false. "

Issue may however arise from selection of judges, since everyone has a pre-held belief about this. Or should we make it a no-judges dialogue, just choose someone to moderate?

This wont go nicely however will be fun.
By the way, can u replace pointlessB with Afam and Onlylies with the New Eze Ndigbo nairaland undecided
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by dayokanu(m): 7:07pm On Dec 05, 2012
I say Hai

Team true first 11: Baby mama, Ngodigha/Andre uweh/Tomakint, ACM(Captain), realchange, Ak47mann, Willywilly, berem, Onlytuth, Point B, Manny4life,Globe TECHNICAL ADVISER: Dede

Team False first 11: Desola, Aigbofa, seanet01, NegroNts, Katsumoto(captain), takedat, geez, bluetooth, ileke-idi, olaheavy, Prof corruption Technical Adviser: DAYOKANU
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
dayokanu: I say Hai

Team true first 11: Baby mama, Ngodigha/Andre uweh/Tomakint, ACM(Captain), realchange, Ak47mann, Willywilly, berem, Onlytuth, Point B, Manny4life,Globe TECHNICAL ADVISER: Dede

Team False first 11: Desola, Aigbofa, seanet01, NegroNts, Katsumoto(captain), takedat, geez, bluetooth, ileke-idi, olaheavy(We need 2 more) Technical Adviser: DAYOKANU
Ok. Adequate security guaranteed at the debate venue. No bottles. No stones.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by olawalebabs(m): 7:23pm On Dec 05, 2012
Jarus:

That would be an el-Classico. Let's give it a shot na

It will just be tribal bashing and of no benefit to us.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by isalegan2: 1:39am On Dec 06, 2012
OAM4J:
If I may ask, Isale will you like to be one of our judges for the debate?

Oga OMAGAJU4 smiley ,

I will have to demur, since I lean towards the belief that there is some (appearance of) marginalisation of Igbos in Nigeria. How pervasive is it? Is it deliberate, circumstantial, self-inflicted, or is it just normal short-term condition for the "rebel" side in ANY civil war (USA south for example)? Maybe our debaters can address that.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 2:52am On Dec 06, 2012

TITLE:

Son of a building block!!! I say Ayeeee and have roasted and started eating ma popcorn already.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 6:38am On Dec 06, 2012

TITLE:

This one go be second Nigerian civil war. Though it will be fun.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
^^^

mods, kindly hide the above
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 12:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
It'll be nice. However extra measures need to taken to prevent it escalating to tribal abuse. The debaters should be told to refrain personality attack of his opponent.

Judges should still be involved.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by olawalebabs(m): 1:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
It seems majority are going for the topic, i suggest there should be no judge. It'll be very hard to get an unbais judge for this. More of dialogue with a moderator.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 1:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
Me I can't do without abusing those alakori omo okoro ajokutamamumi yen o angry

So you better disqualify me now if you don't want katakata to burst because I go curse somebody!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
Desola: Me I can't do without abusing those alakori omo okoro ajokutamamumi yen o angry

So you better disqualify me now if you don't want katakata to burst because I go curse somebody!

The debate nefa start sef, una don begin throw shia grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2012
Honestly Jarus, this topic is very ill-advised. It won't be a debate but a bashfest undecided
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 1:19pm On Dec 06, 2012
naijababe:

The debate nefa start sef, una don begin throw shia grin

I don dey tie my oja sef.

How can anyone have a sensible debate with ajokutamamumis?

Aye yi ko. Ko possible! grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
Desola:

I don dey tie my oja sef.

How can anyone have a sensible debate with ajokutamamumis?

Aye yi ko. Ko possible! grin

Desola ma pa mi o grin grin grin
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 06, 2012
naijababe: Honestly Jarus, this topic is very ill-advised. It won't be a debate but a bashfest undecided
Ok ma. Consigned to the trash bin.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by GARRIx7(m): 1:34pm On Dec 06, 2012
When I say the Mods on NL endorse and tacitly encourage tribal wars my posts get hidden. Why on earth will a topic that will obviously lead to a tribal war be the subject of a debate??

As if that is not enough, the contest will be between Yorubas and Igbos.....

JARUS and Co. do you really expect any sensible thing to come out of this debate?? You of all people should know how many forumers lose their sense of reason when issues that involve etnicity are being discussed.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 3:06pm On Dec 06, 2012
Obinoscopy: It'll be nice. However extra measures need to taken to prevent it escalating to tribal abuse. The debaters should be told to refrain personality attack of his opponent.

Judges should still be involved.

Forget it, it will go personal.
U can talk about anything Igbo without mentioning their hero, the late Ojukwu.
That alone will burn the whole thread
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
Jarus:
Ok ma. Consigned to the trash bin.

Are you guys assuming that the debaters do not have the discipline to recuse themselves, like Desola did, and debate in a civilized manner, when called upon to do so? Let the debate continue jare, these people can control themselves and have a good debate. Besides, judges and moderators are there to manage the debates.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Desola(f): 6:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Are you guys assuming that the debaters do not have the discipline to recuse themselves, like Desola did, and debate in a civilized manner, when called upon to do so? Let the debate continue jare, these people can control themselves and have a good debate. Besides, judges and moderators are there to manage the debates.

ARe you infatuated with me or something? Must you inject my name in your rants?

P.S: i do agree that there are civilised debaters who are disciplined enough to control themselves and indeed have a good debate so i'll say that the debate should go ahead. I am not one of them.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 06, 2012
^ Don't mind Mudu-suku, he's just looking for cheap entertainment.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by OAM4J: 9:22pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ordinarily there is nothing wrong with the topic and it is a subject worth debating, if only we can get participants who will debate on facts and not from biased and sentimental views.

If there are people who are ready to do real justice to the topic, I will say lets do it. Majority here are adults, so we can do it.

My personal opinion.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
OAM4J: Ordinarily there is nothing wrong with the topic and it is a subject worth debating, if only we can get participants who will debate on facts and not from biased and sentimental views.

If there are people who are ready to do real justice to the topic, I will say lets do it. Majority here are adults, so we can do it.

My personal opinion.

Yeah right! Pigs would fly first
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 06, 2012
OAM4J: Ordinarily there is nothing wrong with the topic and it is a subject worth debating, if only we can get participants who will debate on facts and not from biased and sentimental views.

My personal opinion.

Am with you
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 9:48pm On Dec 06, 2012
Demdem:

Forget it, it will go personal.
U can talk about anything Igbo without mentioning their hero, the late Ojukwu.
That alone will burn the whole thread

The only people who will comment on the thread would be the debaters, the judges, the moderators and a few handpicked audience (let's say 10 audience in total), other posts will be hidden and the poster banned for the period of the debate.

Debaters will be told to base their arguements on facts not on sentiments, judges will be told to score based on a well set out parameter, audience will be told to ask questions and not make statements.

The thread can even be locked after the session to prevent chair throwing after the coodinators must have gone grin

I believ we are matured adults. We can do this
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DeepSight(m): 11:22pm On Dec 06, 2012
Moderators

This is an extremely ill advised topic for a debate.

1. It is tribally skewed: you have even had to select your nominees based on their tribe. What if there are Yorubas who believe that the Igbos have indeed been marginalized and what if there are Igbos who really beleive that there has been no deliberate marginalization.

2. It's far too emotionally charged and in my view will promote extremely divisive tendencies.

3. Already it is obvious that selection of judges will be a problem because of the ethnic slant of the matter.

4. The Forum, in line with what should be considered a national patriotic spirit, should not actively encourage tribalistic cat-fights of the nature that this topic will surely degenerate to.

I very strongly advise against this topic being made a debate.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:38am On Dec 07, 2012
I agree with deep sight, this debate cannot be held without plenty of bitterness.

Jarus I implore you to re think this topic, it would only spawn a lot of tribal threads left right and center.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by nduchucks: 9:59am On Dec 07, 2012
Why are some of you guys trying to make a mountain out of an anthill

First of all, no one can be forced to participate in a debate, secondly debaters must agree to the rules and the consequences of violating them. Finally, the judges and moderators can maintain sanity during the debate by warning debaters who try to push the envelop too far, hiding posts, or even temporarily locking the debate thread if necessary.

You people have nothing to fear but fear itself. If the difficulties many of you are mentioning are enough to can this topic, then don't whine and complain about your reps in NASS if they refuse to address issues because they are difficult and some may believe that the issues are too ethnically sensitive. Let the debate continue, if you can't stand heat, get out of the kitchen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 10:08am On Dec 07, 2012
ndu_chucks: Why are some of you guys trying to make a mountain out of an anthill

First of all, no one can be forced to participate in a debate, secondly debaters must agree to the rules and the consequences of violating them. Finally, the judges and moderators can maintain sanity during the debate by warning debaters who try to push the envelop too far, hiding posts, or even temporarily locking the debate thread if necessary.

You people have nothing to fear but fear itself. If the difficulties many of you are mentioning are enough to can this topic, then don't whine and complain about your reps in NASS if they refuse to address issues because they are difficult and some may believe that the issues are too ethnically sensitive. Let the debate continue, if you can't stand head, get out of the kitchen.

Well spoken ndu_chuks. We need not fear. The arguments will be based on facts and not abuses. The judgement will be based on facts not truth. For example, the fact that Deep Sight won the State Police debate doesn't mean that he's right. It just mean that he presented his facts well according to the criteria predetermined by the coordinators.

I'm a advocate of one Nigeria but I'm also an advocate of freedom of expression, liberalism and respect of one's neighbour.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (37) (Reply)

Appointment Of Dangote & Otedola As APC Campaign Members: Nigerians React / Young Man Fell Off Speeding Train In Lagos This Morning - Pics / Nigerians In The North Selling Their Votes For N500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.