Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,031 members, 7,953,101 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:43 AM

NL Monthly Political Debate - Politics (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Monthly Political Debate (50667 Views)

Ifeanyi Uba Caught Cheating In Anambra Political Debate. / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / Gov Orji Walks Out Of Political Debate!can It Affect His Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:37pm On Jan 27, 2013
Good modifications, but frankly, weekly event is a DOA. I'm talking from experience. Initial gragra will soon fade out, it is unsustainable.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 10:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
Jarus: Good modifications, but frankly, weekly event is a DOA. I'm talking from experience. Initial gragra will soon fade out, it is unsustainable.
Pls, what's this?
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls, what's this?

Dead on Arrival.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Afam4eva(m): 10:49pm On Jan 27, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Dead on Arrival.
Ok, thanks.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by manny4life(m): 11:18pm On Jan 27, 2013
I don't know how yall plan to do this weekly and on Wednesday, I don't know how many contestant will cope with this.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by taharqa: 11:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
manny4life:

A matured debate shouldn't be about winner or loser, that is so high school reasoning. Real debates is all about convincing your audience and being able to sway their votes(if election) towards you.

GBAM!!!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 12:32am On Jan 28, 2013
Deep Sight:

So when is the next debate? Will we still have a January one or would it be February.

Seun, with 1 million members and millions more in terms of guests on your forum, you need to realize that you have a HUGE PUBLIC platform for WHATEVER you want to say. Your forum alone gives you a louder voice in this society than most politicians would ever have. I am not exxagerating when I say that one day, if you choose to become Nigerian President, merely announcing your candidature on this forum would leap you massively ahead.

As such, you must recognize this for what it is: not just an AD bizness; it is a VOICE.

You can make of that voice what you will bro.

But it starts with taking little things like the debates seriously.

You have done very well, and if I was Bill Gates; I would make you a huge offer to buy this forum from you.

hey man, ..it is really shocking to witness the way and manner with which nairaland administrators resolve disputes within their own fold. if this was a city or a state these guys will be the governor. we are expecting to see fashola in them but they are displaying rochas. shame!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 28, 2013
Let's stop deceiving ourselves ...the spirit of this idea left with the originator of the idea....we can pretend as much as we want to believe otherwise though.

Afam not been the originator will always find it a tough call to measure up with keeping up...Seun should simply stop forcing a reluctant person to continue with what he doesn't have flair for ..

We either find a way to accommodate Jarus to continue with his baby or we start with a brand new and fresh initiative.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 4:49am On Jan 28, 2013
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by olawalebabs(m): 5:05am On Jan 28, 2013
I don't see the feasibility of weekly debate on a working day. Re consider that option fast.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 5:32am On Jan 28, 2013
ilugunboy: Let's stop deceiving ourselves ...the spirit of this idea left with the originator of the idea....we can pretend as much as we want to believe otherwise though.

Afam not been the originator will always find it a tough call to measure up with keeping up...Seun should simply stop forcing a reluctant person to continue with what he doesn't have flair for ..

We either find a way to accommodate Jarus to continue with his baby or we start with a brand new and fresh initiative.

....but the originator of the idea himself had drifted away from the original intent and had surrendered to process instead of strategy for collectng proposal-rich and politically actionable ideas.

i join voice with you and ask what is the goal of the debate and what accomplishments or forward progress is it expected to produce? so far it has produced one thing, which in all aspect is not a surprise, we are different and our views are varied. we dont need a monthly debate to realize this fact.

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Pharoh: 7:07am On Jan 28, 2013
@Afam

Let me be honest with you, i think you should sit yourself down, have a sober reflection and think carefully to go pick up your pride in whatever place you left it. You are a black man and we are extra proud people, I would understand you your insistence if people do not want you to be a mod. You were appointed by seun and you can tell them to Bleep off but in this case you are are really falling your hand big time.

See this debate of a thing looks like it belongs to the original initiator and people don't want you to be part of it. It is a poisoned chalice, so just wash your hands off it completely and hand it over back to them. You are bigger than this and there are other ideas you can come up it so look for those ideas. Even the owner of the debate does not want to work with you and so many other people. If i were you i will just tell seun to exempt me from anything that has to do with the debate and focus on other aspects of this section.

@Seun

Please can you kindly stop forcing afam on this debate because no matter what, it has a more negative effect than being positive or trying to savage a dieing situation. Hand it over back to the owner and you don't have to be a mod to run a debate here on nairaland. Mods can always do their jobs of moderating the thread just like every other thread. You should be less concerned about the traffic and do what is right which will be beneficial. Concern yourself about the direction and moderation of the debate thread while you leave the actual organization to the owner of the debate.

@ Topic

This is just much ado about nothing really and i don't know what is so special about the present debate state that would make people to be fighting because of it. Just like the hall of fame or hall of shame of a thing that has no meaningful effect on the general state of the country, so is this present political debate. Looking at the suggestion of Deepsight, olumide, manny4life and negro_tins then you will know why the debate has no present impact or effect in the daily activities of the country. Could someone point us to any effect the earlier debates had beyond the four walls of nairaland?, i don't think we will find any. So instead of us to look at how we are going to address the bigger issue raised by those posters that will make the debate meaningful, we are arguing about who should manage it or how often it should occur.

Whatever happens on nairaland should be ringing bells and sending a strong message to the general public that people will be looking forward to the next big thing from time to time. Until we can get to that stage or work our way towards that stage then all these efforts or arguments are just meaningless and not worth the stress of this thread. Get past this quickly and move to the process of making nairaland relevant in the general public.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 8:23am On Jan 28, 2013
There is nothing wrong with the current system, even if u want to modify it then it should be for good and not "dabaru" everything. Let's stick to what we have which currently work.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ngwakwe: 9:08am On Jan 28, 2013
Who is/are the people?

Stop this arrogance and adjust with reality.

Afam's antagonism is either borne out of tribal quarrel, intellectual arrogance, competition and personal grievances.

Some people even swear that he can't be a moderator, take your time and go through this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1125080/nairaland-sectional-awards-2012/2#13565719

Pharoh: @Afam

I would understand you your insistence if people do not want you to be a mod. You were appointed by seun and you can tell them to Bleep off but in this case you are are really falling your hand big time.

If i were you i will just tell seun to exempt me from anything that has to do with the debate and focus on other aspects of this section.

@Seun

Please can you kindly stop forcing afam on this debate because no matter what, it has a more negative effect than being positive or trying to savage a dieing situation.

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Seun(m): 9:34am On Jan 28, 2013
coogar: jarus' name is a brand!
people are excited when they see him coordinating stuff like this. in the sports section, he's doing something similar with the player rating in the cup of nations - he posts his opinion and people either argue for/against his prognosis!
I agree with you that his contest organizing and management abilities are second to none, but that doesn't mean he has a monopoly on performance!

i agree it's become difficult as he's no longer a mod but he can always be in contact with afam/oam4j through the private message and ask them to remove/add posts! how is this difficult. that afam is now the mod does not mean he can do this better - he can also be better than jarus at other stuff jarus is completely clueless about!
That was the initial plan, but I don't expect Jarus to be able to work effectively with both Afam4eva and OAM4J, so my hands are rather tied.

ujchief: These are my inputs:
1) It will be tedious, if not impossible to organize a weekly debate. The process of debate entails selecting a topic, appointing judges, selecting contestants and then the actual debate. All of us have life outside Nl and keeping up with such weekly activities might be tasking, both on the side of moderators, judges, contestants and voters.
Our plan is to streamline the process drastically. Topic selection will be done by our team, based on our knowledge of the kind of topics that attract attention on a forum. Since we won't be selecting a winner, there will be no need to appoint judges. Contestants will be selected on the basis of how much they seem to know about the topic, so there will be no vote to select contestants. Since the contest will be held frequently, people won't mind because if you're not selected on a particular week, you may be selected the next week. Many more people will be able to participate.

2) I still don't understand the correlation between Nairalanders selecting (or electing) the winners and the points you listed as the advantages of the new method.
your polling system isn't working, and manual collation of votes is tasking, both in the part of mods and we the floor members that might try to ensure a due process.

3) Lastly, I've witnessed several events requiring voting here in Nl, most of them turn out ugly. there's always room for someone to believe there's foul play somewhere; and don't over-estimate those visiting the politics section of Nl, not all knows what a good point entails. So they are misled to either join the crowd, or vote out of sentiment; be it religious, tribal or ethnic.
There will be no polling and no official winners. The topics being debated will be the focus of the debate, and not who won or who lost the debate.

Thanks. I will make more inputs and suggestion later.
Thanks!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Seun(m): 9:49am On Jan 28, 2013
manny4life: As for the arguments, they are very and super lengthy that most times, it just makes it too difficult to read, I'd say limit the wordings to a limit. There are people who can argue precisely but keep it short and interesting.
Good idea. We may implement that if we notice the problem of lengthy posts in the new format. There will be no winners/losers.

Ngwakwe: A debate without a winner is dead. Let just call it Round Table Discussion or Monthly Intellectual Reasoning.
Presidential debates don't have official winners. The goal of each contestant will be to persuade the public to take his/her position.

[quite author=Jarus]Good modifications, but frankly, weekly event is a DOA. I'm talking from experience. Initial gragra will soon fade out, it is unsustainable.[/quote]
The event has to be a weekly event in order to significantly impact the forum. We are streamlining the process to make it work on a weekly basis.

Negro_Ntns: hey man, ..it is really shocking to witness the way and manner with which nairaland administrators resolve disputes within their own fold. if this was a city or a state these guys will be the governor. we are expecting to see fashola in them but they are displaying rochas. shame!
It's normal for human beings to disagree from time to time. But as long as the disagreements are maturely handled, things will be ok. Don't worry!

ilugunboy: We either find a way to accommodate Jarus to continue with his baby or we start with a brand new and fresh initiative.
I hereby declare that the new weekly debate format is a brand new and fresh initiative. Up Nairaland! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Seun(m): 10:01am On Jan 28, 2013
@0lumide: Your comments are entirely offtopic so in order to keep the thread on topic, we will have to ignore them. Sorry about that!

@Pharoh: Thanks for sharing your opinion. Most of your on-topic concerns have been addressed in my earlier posts. Thanks a million.

DemDem: There is nothing wrong with the current system, even if u want to modify it then it should be for good and not "dabaru" everything. Let's stick to what we have which currently work.
I sense that you are afraid that our efforts to improve the current system will fail. We'll take that as a challenge. You won't be disappointed!

@Ngakwe: Yes, Afam4eva is not perfect. But Jarus was not perfect either. Nobody is perfect, but if we are determined, we will succeed.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:26am On Jan 28, 2013
The event has to be a weekly event in order to significantly impact the forum. We are streamlining the process to make it work on a weekly basis.

I pray so.

Meanwhile, let's all move on. Let's contribute to make the current handlers succeed and I'm in for it too.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 10:32am On Jan 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
The rationale is unconnected with the fact that Judges will always be biased for a particular argument. Take for instance you're a judge for a debate topic titled "Is Garr1 the best food in the world?". You're most likely to score the person supporting the motion high because you're also a garr1 advocate and will most likely agree with some of his points. I hope i'm making sense.
5 judges can hardly be wrong. Plus for all the past editions, there is consensus among the audience/contributors that the judges-chosen winners posted the best performance. Katsumoto and Deepsight.

But let's not go back and forth. There is always a room for change and improvement. Let's hope the modified approach produce superior result.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Seun(m): 10:49am On Jan 28, 2013
@Jarus: I really appreciate your support. Please consider participating in the next debate, since it's now possible!!

Please check out this thread and give me your thoughts https://www.nairaland.com/1177398/official-politics-weekly-debate-1
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 28, 2013
[size=16pt]I LOVE NAIRALAND BUT I LOVE MY WIFE MORE cheesy[/size]

1 Like

Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Jarus(m): 12:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
Seun: @Jarus: I really appreciate your support. Please consider participating in the next debate, since it's now possible!!

Please check out this thread and give me your thoughts https://www.nairaland.com/1177398/official-politics-weekly-debate-1

I'm in for it. Let me just offer advice from the sideline. If we have too many hands actively running the debate, it becomes cumbersome (divergence of thoughts, especially when you need to make light-speed decisions in the course of teh exercise). You and Afam can do the active controlling, supported by OAM4J, while I advise and mobilize. Too many hands can be counterproductive.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DeepSight(m): 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
Jarus:

I'm in for it. Let me just offer advice from the sideline. If we have too many hands actively running the debate, it becomes cumbersome (divergence of thoughts, especially when you need to make light-speed decisions in the course of teh exercise). You and Afam can do the active controlling, supported by OAM4J, while I advise and mobilize. Too many hands can be counterproductive.

Just ONE person to handle the debate, PERIOD.

Let the MOD do it.

In the new format, no need for Judges since there is no official winner or loser. Peeps following the debates simply click "like" for posts they support. Nothing more.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Ngwakwe: 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2013
Liking an assertion or a narrative doesn't make it a superior argument depending on the level of your authority in a particular subject.

Deep Sight:

Just ONE person to handle the debate, PERIOD.

Let the MOD do it.

In the new format, no need for Judges since there is no official winner or loser. Peeps following the debates simply click "like" for posts they support. Nothing more.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by DeepSight(m): 2:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
Ngwakwe: Liking an assertion or a narrative doesn't make it a superior argument depending on the level of your authority in a particular subject.

Well. . . . .good point. Over to Seun.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 5:13pm On Jan 28, 2013
Seun:

I sense that you are afraid that our efforts to improve the current system will fail. We'll take that as a challenge. You won't be disappointed!

it would have been better for u to have highlighted what exactly was wrong with the previous system? ur proposal of weekly debate to me is out of the question. it doesnt differ from present daily issues discussion we are currently experiencing. its simply free for all.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
I feel a weekly debate will be very demanding and stressful on the coodinators. Let's make it a monthly (or at most a fortnightly affair), my opinion though.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
Demdem:

ur proposal of weekly debate to me is out of the question. it doesnt differ from present daily issues discussion we are currently experiencing. its simply free for all.
of course it doesn't differ.buh wait,is the debate gonna be for just selected peeps? why not everyone participate? i mean this is a very sensitive topic.this is an opportunity for gays and lesbians in this forum to air their views.everyone should be allowed to speak.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Gboliwe: 8:11pm On Jan 28, 2013
How is it going to be different from regular threads opening if everybody can participate? I really do not understand
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 8:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
Gboliwe: How is it going to be different from regular threads opening if everybody can participate? I really do not understand
That's exactly my confusion!
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by Demdem(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2013
berem: of course it doesn't differ.buh wait,is the debate gonna be for just selected peeps? why not everyone participate? i mean this is a very sensitive topic.this is an opportunity for gays and lesbians in this forum to air their views.everyone should be allowed to speak.

Then we don't need a special debate for that. Just open a thread about it and NLers will come in and air their views. That is what we have presently.
Re: NL Monthly Political Debate by garrix8: 8:43am On Jan 29, 2013
Demdem:

Then we don't need a special debate for that. Just open a thread about it and NLers will come in and air their views. That is what we have presently.

Exactly!!

I wonder why Afam and Seun can't go to previous debate threads to learn how to organise a debate.

What they did in the debate thread was THRASH, and Seun had to close the thread shamefully.

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

Tinubu Receives Certificate Of Return As President-Elect / Governor Fayose's 55th Birthday Cake (Photo) / Abbo Vs Tinubu: Viral Video Of Tinubu Slapping A Lawmaker Is False (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.