Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,272 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (13995 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / God Is Not Looking At Your Sins To Judge You / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 2:05pm On Oct 28, 2012
[/b][b]
uy plus: 4nnny sets of ppl called catholcs..burnin incense lik pagans,

Read your bible old and new testament. ' The pray of the saints shall rise to God's throne like an incense'

prayg repeated pryrs,

They don't each decade is different from the others. Not like you who does vocal prayer on thesame petition over and over again

countn rosaries

They don't 'count' rosary. They pray the rosary.

n wearn scapulars 4protectn,

Its the prayer that's for protection not the object

so dey say, blvn in saints dt neva existed n honourn em(in their wrds),

You obviously know nothing. But I'm sure even your church celebrate valentine's day. Smh.

prayg thru mary n adore her,

Read your bible the wedding @ canaana mary interceeded on behalf of the couple.

buildn statues n cryg on statues, kpn pryr request lik sh's omnipresent.and I 1da if allcathlcs pray thru her at 12pm worldwide,

You're still on the wondering level and you speak with so much authourity as if you know something when you don't even have a clue?

who wld sh listen to 1st?is sh omnipresent, omnipotent or omniscient?.onli God is.den dey nw tel u da pope is infallible!!

In matters of religion and faith he is and that's what excathedral means and that's why the church do not change her stand and has endured over 2,000years.

Wot a blv..whr did God eva say ders a man amongst u who is sinless..
Your religion practise sinlessness. But that does not exist in the catholic church and since you are still wondering I understand your level of ignorance

Maybe Catholiscm is pure idolatry..blvn in wot da bible neva stated..

You're still wondering.

Imagne a catholc frnd tryg 2convinc me dt mary ascended 2heaven? Fallacy, n heressy!

Did she descend into hell?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by zaragoza(m): 2:06pm On Oct 28, 2012
You won't go to a priest for confession, then why go to a pastor for baptism? U insist on going to God directly, why not go to him for ur baptism?

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by mourinhob: 2:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
these penterascals are so envious of the one true church. oopppss
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by mediainspired: 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2012
I keep praying for my catholic friends for God to open their eyes, be born again &become true xtians. One of d devil's greatest tool of deceit in human history is Catholicism (which, in its true sense, is not Christianity, but a cult). Their 'priest' hide Bible truths 4rm dem, &instead teach dem false doctrines &confuse dem by muddlin up &misinterpretin Bible doctrines. Their followers luv it too, cos it's a church of convenience. Wen catholics giv d excuses d 'priests' & 'fathers' confuse dem wit as justificatns 4dere questionable doctrines (confessin to anoda sinful man, idolatory via 'mary' &rosary etc), i shed tears 4dem. They hav very shallow knowledge of d Bible &of God. They're not in God's will

1 Like

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by 49cents(m): 2:14pm On Oct 28, 2012
Pastor Adeboye is one of the Pastor i respect but he surely mistaken if he spoke against the Christian rite of confession which Jesus himself expressly instituted.

What was the very first thing Jesus did after his glorious Resurrection? He breathed on his Apostles and said "receive ye the Holy Spirit, for whosoever sins you forgive are forgiven whosoever sin you retain are retained" How will the Apostles execrise this power if not by hearing confessions?

i WONDER HOW WE CAN TWIST THE BIBLE TO SUIT OUR TASTES AND FANCIES?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 2:16pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

Did you check the bolded too? why should it be the priest and not to anyone else?

If. I can confess to u what is wrong in confessing to a priest?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by oluomad(m): 2:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
blueheart: it was on this forum i read about pastors who self-service, watch p.orn nd other sinful pleasures of time. Is it this set of pastors the congregation nw confess to? Smh. Most Nigerian Xtians suffer from my pastor says, my pastor is always right syndrome as if this set of 'men' aint human like us all
what about ReV. Frs who commit Homosexuall in Egypt
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 2:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
mediainspired: I keep praying for my catholic friends for God to open their eyes, be born again &become true xtians. One of d devil's greatest tool of deceit in human history is Catholicism (which, in its true sense, is not Christianity, but a cult). Their 'priest' hide Bible truths 4rm dem, &instead teach dem false doctrines &confuse dem by muddlin up &misinterpretin Bible doctrines. Their followers luv it too, cos it's a church of convenience. Wen catholics giv d excuses d 'priests' & 'fathers' confuse dem wit as justificatns 4dere questionable doctrines (confessin to anoda sinful man, idolatory via 'mary' &rosary etc), i shed tears 4dem. They hav very shallow knowledge of d Bible &of God. They're not in God's will

Point of correction, catholic church is not cult. It has been in exitence since d day of the apostles. Jesus said to peter the gates of hell will not prevail against the church. The gates of hell are all the criticism against the church, yet d church is still strong.

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 2:20pm On Oct 28, 2012
oluomad:
what about ReV. Frs who commit Homosexuall in Egypt

Pastor and priest comit sin.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by WMD(m): 2:27pm On Oct 28, 2012
God pickin: Moin all, Y do catholics find it hard to communicate?
If ur priest serves as ur confession box, dts ur bizyness
Everyone's opinionated.@ chukwudi44 Instead of explain u decided to
Take a jab @ a man who did u no wrong explaination wud Ave worked wonders. Its shows dt d
Catholic church is really full of pagans. As it were b4
Instead of taking ur nitwitted brain to seek knowledge.
U open ur stinking mouth to talk. Where were all of u
Wen d biggest scam was played on u by d vitcan?
Ask for wisdom. Dumb ass fool.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 2:28pm On Oct 28, 2012
chukwudi44: When a man cannot confess his sins to God through his pastor but can pay his tithes to God through his pastor what is it called.

A.Hypocrisy

B.Stealing

C.Foolishness

D.All of the above

Correct. Going forward all protestants should pay their title to God directly instead of their pastors. For those that raise draft or cheque for tithe do it in Favour of God in heaven and we pay the cheque directly to bank of heaven

1 Like

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 2:29pm On Oct 28, 2012
uy plus:
Cn u constructively criticise whr I errred??I schld in a cath uni..

Schooling there doesn't mean you know anything bout their faith

got a lot of frnds who r cathlcs, n dey say ds n dat..buh I ask em questns 4clarifcatn, and dey alwys faulter..

Maybe they don't know much. You can't know everything when it comes catholic church. Cos over 2kyears of knowledge and writing is no joke!

mary ws jst a vesssel of honour unto God.

Yes. Correct! So was the wooden tabernacle of old testament which God took to himself or do you know where the tabernacle is?

ws sh a miracle workr??NO!!..

No. She only facilitated the working of a miracle.

imagne teln me da bible ws written by cathlcs, wen da bible stated dt in the beginin ws da Word, n da Word ws wit God n da Word ws God.. Did da bible say da Word ws wit cathlcs??

The bible was not writen by the catholic. It was only compiled. The catholic church studied all the scrolls and letters and decided which books should be arranged how and which ones formed the bible. They binded it together and gave it to the world. (They also have custody to all the other letters, epistles, and scrolls that they didn't select or think should be in the bible)

Smh 4u folks.. Hope ur eyes gt wide open so u cn embrace da truth whole heartedly..stop goin to priest 2confesss, it is wrng!!

But Jesus said they should confess so on whose authourity do you speak?

u goto meeeet ur pastor 2jst agreeee wit u in pryrs, cos da bible said, wen 2 or 3r gatherd in hs name,

Why can't the other person be your friend or family member? Are they all pagans too?

he is der.. It shdnt b a routine thn...wen u feeeel u'v got a weak spirit, run 2a spiritual head 2agreee wit u in pryrs, nt confesss sins 2hm.. Is he God?

'A spiritual head' or 'your spiritual head' any spiritual head could be dangerous o!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Mutaino7(m): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2012
A-ZeD:

What about kneeling down in front of a pastor?
read the book of samuel and you will see that real men of God are respected by kneeling(wen samuel wanted 2 anoint david) and not bowing down even angels repulse their worshipping. ELISHA and the rich woman. The woman knelt b4 him.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by mediainspired: 2:31pm On Oct 28, 2012
@all, Catholics don't practice Xtianity; they practice religion. They dont read d Bible, they only listen to wat their priests tell dem. And to continue to keep them in d darkness of their minds, their 'priests' & 'fathers' tell them such deceits like 'catholic church was d 1st church &establsihd by Jesus.' Nairaland catholics, may God open ur blinded eyes &save u all. Just as on dis thread, if u see any 'Christian' dat is quick to spew insults, attack personalities rather than d issue, they're almost always catholics. If u're a pentecostal &not married yet, pls neva marry a catholic. They are not really xtians, except u'v converted her

1 Like

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Mutaino7(m): 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2012
jamp:

Point of correction, catholic church is not cult. It has been in exitence since d day of the apostles. Jesus said to peter the gates of hell will not prevail against the church. The gates of hell are all the criticism against the church, yet d church is still strong.
Did Jesus call it catholic church. Catholics began wen Emperor constantinople interfere with the norms of the church by governmentizing it thou he meant gud but he was the one who first appointed a public head known as the pope. Read the roman histories 4 more clarifications. No b only peter b d head all the apostles were the head thats y dey were scattered by persecution to various part of the world.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 2:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
Debbie.o:
Well speaking from facts and what I was told when I was a catholic, whta I noticed firstly about Catholics (even when we r all christains n no offends) is that they r always quick to defend themselves, without actually thinking it through) u have the bible yet u refuse to open ur eyes n see for your selves.back then when I was a catholic I was told, we confess our sins to the priest and he in turn, prays to God on our behalf.what ever happened to the passage of the bible that says,I am the way, the truth and the light, no one comes to the father accept through me.besides after confession, u will b told by the priest to say (it depends on ur sins though) 10 hail marys, 5 our father n 3 glory be to the father, prayer.bck then I rember in my hrt am lk, is that all, hummm.well bt thank God for the bible o.I read passages my self before I was convicted to leave.may God give u d eyes of understanding.I rest my case

Thank God for you. But we catholics don't look for members cos we know what we are getting. While in d church u did not pay attention and ask questions on certain issues, now u are Born again you know everytin. Good for u

1 Like

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2012
Mutaino7:
Did Jesus call it catholic church. Catholics began wen Emperor constantinople interfere with the norms of the church by governmentizing it thou he meant gud but he was the one who first appointed a public head known as the pope. Read the roman histories 4 more clarifications. No b only peter b d head all the apostles were the head thats y dey were scattered by persecution to various part of the world.

Jesus didnot call it catholic church, catholic means universal church ie the church founded by Jesus is universal. How can u say constantinople appointed the first pope, that a lie, popes have been in exestence before constanople. After peter (the first pope) came linus etc.read ur history well.

How can u say peter is not the first pope, when christ rose from the dead he ask peter to feed his sheep 3 times, read jon 21 : 15-17
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by edithokoye0096: 2:57pm On Oct 28, 2012
God pickin: Moin all, Y do catholics find it hard to communicate?
If ur priest serves as ur confession box, dts ur bizyness
Everyone's opinionated.@ chukwudi44 Instead of explain u decided to
Take a jab @ a man who did u no wrong explaination wud Ave worked wonders. Its shows dt d
Catholic church is really full of pagans. As it were b4
Instead of taking ur nitwitted brain to seek knowledge.
U open ur stinking mouth to talk. Where were all of u
Wen d biggest scam was played on u by d vitcan?
Ask for wisdom. Dumb ass fool.
Thank you.
Keep Ur opinion to Urself.
We do not go about protesting cos we are not protestants.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 28, 2012
mourinho b: these penterascals are so envious of the one true church. oopppss

envious of a Pagan church

Rather , we are glad to be spared the ignominy of association with a mysterious, Mary worshipping, dead saint praying, holy water spraying, pope idolising and image bowing , so called church .

1 Like

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:05pm On Oct 28, 2012
A-ZeD:

Other priest

and if i decide not to do that, rather confess it to a trusted church member instead? Are priests the only people in the church the "one another' reffered to?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by onimcee1(m): 3:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
bbpreye.:

What about bowing down to images?
What about praying with rosary?
What about burning insence?
can u teLl me the three gifts dat the three wise men presented to baby Jesus? Can u tell me how Angel Gabriel and Elizabeth greeted Mary? Do you know anything about Cherubim and Seraphin? If all yes that means you have answered your own questions.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
basisop: In Mark 2:5,7,10 Jesus proved that He has authority on Earth to forgive sins.

That same authority was further confirmed to his disciples in Matthew 28:18.(I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth).

He passed the authority down to Peter (which includes forgiveness of sins) in Mathew 16:18,20 (...what you forbid on earth would be forbidden in heaven and what you permit on earth would be permitted in heaven.

If you need more biblical prove, I'm on standby.

These passage was for every believer and not to peter alone, you need the holy spirit asap.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
fixmykey: All pardon for sins ultimately comes from Christ’s finished work on Calvary, but how is this pardon received by individuals? Did Christ leave us any means within the Church to take away sin? The Bible says he gave us two means.

Baptism was given to take away the sin inherited from Adam (original sin) and any sins we personally committed before baptism—sins we personally commit are called actual sins, because they come from our own acts. Thus on the day of Pentecost, Peter told the crowds, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38), and when Paul was baptized he was told, "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name" (Acts 22:16). And so Peter later wrote, "Baptism . . . now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet. 3:21).

For sins committed after baptism, a different sacrament is needed. It has been called penance, confession, and reconciliation, each word emphasizing one of its.aspects. During his life, Christ forgave sins, as in the case of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:1–11) and the woman who anointed his feet (Luke 7:48). He exercised this power in his human capacity as the Messiah or Son of man, telling us, "the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Matt. 9:6), which is why the Gospel writer himself explains that God "had given such authority to men" (Matt. 9:cool.

Since he would not always be with the Church visibly, Christ gave this power to other men so the Church, which is the continuation of his presence throughout time (Matt. 28:20), would be able to offer forgiveness to future generations. He gave his power to the apostles, and it was a power that could be passed on to their successors and agents, since the apostles wouldn’t always be on earth either, but people would still be sinning.

God had sent Jesus to forgive sins, but after his resurrection Jesus told the apostles, "‘As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained’" (John 20:21–23). (This is one of only two times we are told that God breathed on man, the other being in Genesis 2:7, when he made man a living soul. It emphasizes how important the establishment of the sacrament of penance was.)

Now who're the apostles of Jesus? Every born again christians have been given the right to be apostles and sons of God. "forgive one another' is for all christians and not few.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by iyaski: 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
chukwudi44: James 5:14-16

King James Version (KJV)

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

@op

I am sure this passages are explicit enough.The protestants should first remove the log from their eyes before trying to remove the supposed pegs in the RCC.

Adeboye should first stop the practice of compulsory tithing and first fruits obsrved in his church which are contrary to the new order.

Who told you tithing is compulsory, it is a personal thing if you pay it or not no pastor in RCCG will force you to pay it.
The one of first fruits is even laughable, I haven't being preached in my parish where I attend.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
[quote author=calculusx]

According to James 5:14-16, Catholics confess their sins to a priest because they are ordained and have the grace to forgive or retain your sin which your neighbor may not have.

Priest have the power to absolve you of your sin while a friend or anyone else doesn't have such power. Moreso, priests had vowed to secrecy while you can't trust a friend or your neighbor with your secrets.

@ OP Please don't be confused,if you need more knowledge about confessing your sins,contact any catechist or priest in any parishes closer to you for more knowledge and to the person that ask who do priests confess their sins to? They confess their sins to one another.[/quot

confess your sins to one another, what does that mean?

Was the bible specific on who in the church have the power to forgive or retain sins? If yes, show us.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by uyplus(m): 3:20pm On Oct 28, 2012
jamp:

Jesus didnot call it catholic church, catholic means universal church ie the church founded by Jesus is universal. How can u say constantinople appointed the first pope, that a lie, popes have been in exestence before constanople. After peter (the first pope) came linus etc.read ur history well.

How can u say peter is not the first pope, when christ rose from the dead he ask peter to feed his sheep 3 times, read jon 21 : 15-17

Charlatans.. Nw calln peter a pope.. Whr ws it recorded in da bible dt hs name is pope petr?? Cos da bible accorded da name apostle 2dem.. Catholiscm is falllacy n heressssy!! U burn incens 4who?? God?? Crazy!!!u jst say doctrinal crap.. U failed 2honour mary magdalene, cos sh ws da 1st 2seee da risen Jesus??& it wsnt virgn mary, n I wonda y sh is nt honoured tooo..Jesus loved evry1 equally, he didn't accord special luv n attentn 2any human!!and evn in da ryt hand of God da father, he stl maintains hs Godhead.. And u cathlcs sh stop sayg mary da mother of God, pls!!nt da God I serve anywy..sh wsnt da der wen God cr8td da heavens n da earth, and da bible makes me 2understand dt da trinity were all involved in cre8tn, so ws mary mothr of God afta cr8tn or b4?? Cos wen u say sh's da mothr of God, u'r telln me my Jesus jst came into existnc 2k yrs ago, n he wsnt God b4 mary existed..
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Kenneth457(m): 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

Who does the priest confess his own sins to?
the priest,bishops,archbishops,cardinals and the pope confess theirs to any priest.i doubt u re not a gud catholic.quote me
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2012
intrepid: He confesses to another priest or to his bishop...Let me ask you,have you ever told your evil to any human being-male or female?have you eva gone for councelling where the pastor or whoeva probed you and you gladly divulged everything?

yes i have. Do you know that every christians are priests in God's sight? I mean true christians? Have you read that part in the bible before? Do you know that all true christians arr equal in christ?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Mutaino7(m): 3:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
jamp:

which lie then tell me how rosaries came into being or was the first church called st. Peter's cathedral. Although u said wat u know check google and ask about constantinople . Was ur linus killed or where was he wen philip was alive , john d belove. So u mean he is a senior 2 those guys and even timothy talkless of paul. Oga check history wellar cos even jesus knew the world wud enter in2 d church dats y he said judgememt will start 4rm d church. 4 clarification Jesus said preach in judea, samaria and all of isreal then go in2 the world thats was y peter was summon 4 questioning by the council of the apostles when he preached to cornelius. Admitted jews prejudice but b4 it got 2 rome the ethopian enunch recieved d holy spirit 4rm philips teaching. So ya see roman catholic was neva d first church. Or wen d xtians were called so firstly at antioch were they called roman catholics. Y don't u check history about how popes came about controlling all the european states. Some people abuse some pastors calling them thieves but do u knw how much d vatican generates or how much d papal collects wen visiting a country no wonder some spanish citizens complained wen d papal came 2 spain in 2011 wen there was resension.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
Kenneth457: the priest,bishops,archbishops,cardinals and the pope confess theirs to any priest.i doubt u re not a gud catholic.quote me

Not a catholic n never will i because i've found the light!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ogasnow: 3:24pm On Oct 28, 2012
omicron: Oh! That feeling one gets after a true Confession! Oh...so invigorating, so inspiring!

Thank you. If your Pastor refuses to listen to your confession, I personally think he/she is lazy and a fraud, since he is empowered by God to do so. And before you denounce confession, go kneel before a catholic Priest, tell all and follow the instructions of penance. Only then should you come back and share your opinion.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 3:28pm On Oct 28, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

If The THREE Wise Men Had Been THREE Wise Women.. / Ex Boko Haram Leader, Now Converted To The Christian, Fingers Ibb And Others / True Information About Water Spirits And How You Are Affected: Know The Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.