Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,358 members, 7,815,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Class Discrimination: When Will It End? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Class Discrimination: When Will It End? (11235 Views)

Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria / Having Nigerian Husbands Exposes Us To Daily Discrimination – Wives - / Transgender 6years OLD Wins Discrimination Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Yusfull(m): 7:31pm On Nov 25, 2012
Busy_body:

It is not ALWAYS a congenital condition y'know, so be careful what you wish for, because ANYONE can become this ANYTIME. undecided

Yu dey swear for me i dont mean to abuse yu na... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by saska1122: 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
jidegirl12: @ curious ... Good for your friend he broke the chain of poverty in his family..... but you don't have to be too emotional here... It is what it is.... I don't want my kids to roll with people I don't know and I don't know his intentions period!

I doubt you have kids of your own to know how it feels when it comes to their safety undecided

@ omoseun thank you jare.... Yeah unfortunate ... That's what it is.... no sugar coating anything ....

What was emotional about @Curios_city wrote? So, stating facts now is being emotional?
@Jidegirl, do U have a family?
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by coogar: 7:36pm On Nov 25, 2012
dahonestboss: coogar
do you believe that everyone is equal? regardless of economic status?

everyone is not equal - forget that nonsense.....
even in the developed countries where they preach equal rights - everyone is not equal!

if you take it back to nigeria....then the difference is stark. in the same nigeria where you have a man with 100-bedroom mansion and 600 cars and his next door neighbour cannot afford to buy a motorcycle - and you want me to think every man is equal?
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Busybody2(f): 7:37pm On Nov 25, 2012
^^^ Its about to go down in 3,2,1. . . grin

Yusfull:

Yu dey swear for me i dont mean to abuse yu na... grin grin grin grin grin

You dey fear ni cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 25, 2012
Ofcourse it can stop. If ur broke and want to marry a rich girl , all you have to do is find a genie and command it to turn you into a prince like Aaladin. Simples
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar:

there's a bar between the poor and the rich. let the rich marry the rich and let the poor marry the poor. if peradventure a poor dude breaks the barrier and moves upstream to the rich man's echelon then he is no longer poor, he's now rich and he can marry a rich girl. it's quite different from prediction and forecasting.

Yeah, I'm good with just completely ignoring those previous statements like they never happened. wink lipsrsealed

"i am not rich now but i would be rich tomorrow" - what's the guarantee of that?

Well according to your previous posts (which we are now ignoring, by the way wink lipsrsealed) , as long as he works harder like all the rich people before him have done, it will be guaranteed that he would be rich tomorrow.

Anyway, my nitpicking aside, I agree that it will be extremely hard for a very rich person to marry a very poor person especially if it's the female that is rich, but who are we to decide if a woman wants to 'keep her man'. There are many possible middle grounds to this issue.
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by saska1122: 7:43pm On Nov 25, 2012
Empty vessels make much noise!!

****Shakes my head and walk off************
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar
everyone is not equal - forget that nonsense.....
even in the developed countries where they preach equal rights - everyone is not equal!

if you take it back to nigeria....then the difference is stark. in the same nigeria where you have a man with 100-bedroom mansion and 600 cars and his next door neighbour cannot afford to buy a motorcycle - and you want me to think every man is equal?

can you please specify in ''particular'' what makes human different from each other?

my daughter is 19 currently in havard......
before then, she went to one of the most expensive secondary schools in abuja - i have practically spent mega fortunes to raise her to the level she is at the moment. so what do you have to offer her or do you intend to take from her?

Its like you are raising your daughter strictly for the benefits you will get from their suitors, and its like you are forgetting something here, what if your daughter insist on marrying somebody that you think does not meet your ''class'' what would you do? taking into consideration her right to choose.

2 Likes

Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Yusfull(m): 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2012
Busy_body: ^^^ Its about to go down in 3,2,1. . . grin

You dey fear ni cheesy grin cheesy

Abeg oooo..... grin grin grin grin
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by coogar: 7:48pm On Nov 25, 2012
ileobatojo:
Yeah, I'm good with just completely ignoring those previous statements like they never happened. wink lipsrsealed

what you talking about willis?

Well according to your previous posts (which we are now ignoring, by the way wink lipsrsealed) , as long as he works harder like all the rich people before him have done, it will be guaranteed that he would be rich tomorrow.

all things being equal, it should be guaranteed
the surest and the only way to legitimate wealth is through hard work. if you know any other means, kindly tell us here.....

Anyway, my nitpicking aside, I agree that it will be extremely hard for a very rich person to marry a very poor person especially if it's the female that is rich, but who are we to decide if a woman wants to 'keep her man'. There are many possible middle grounds to this issue.

in most cases, the woman is naive.......after all, it's the parents that have worked on hands n knees to provide her the opulence she enjoys, how would she know what gives? like i have said, when you become rich, giftwrap your first daughter to okon(your houseboy) - you would be doing humanity a big favour!!
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Yusfull(m): 7:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
jidegirl12:

Whatever Mr. Yusuf .... I really don't give a hoot!

Think about my point..hun
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Abali1(m): 7:52pm On Nov 25, 2012
I dey dance Azonto for this thread......:..........

Abeg if you don ever discriminate person for ya life, whether Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Deaf & Dumb....etc just face front....

The truth is that, God did not give us all equal Talents.
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Abali1(m): 7:54pm On Nov 25, 2012
Coogar and Jidegirl, I dey behind una......human beings are naturally selfish (including me).

ghen ghenn..... rich vs poor
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2012
dahonestboss: [b]

Its like you are raising your daughter strictly for the benefits you will get from their suitors, and its like you are forgetting something here, what if your daughter insist on marrying somebody that you think does not meet your ''class'' what would you do? taking into consideration her right to choose.

grin grin you watch too much Nigerian movies .... # world apart .....

1 Like

Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 25, 2012
jidegirl12:

grin grin you watch too much Nigerian movies .... # world apart .....

copycat, na your husband? grin
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar:

what you talking about willis?

I'm talking about the fact that your last post completely ignored what we were discussing just prior to it.

coogar:

all things being equal, it should be guaranteed

Ah! Slowly but surely, you are getting there. What are these 'all things' that have to be equal?

coogar:

the surest and the only way to legitimate wealth is through hard work. if you know any other means, kindly tell us here.....

Once again, this is false.

coogar:

like i have said, when you become rich, giftwrap your first daughter to okon(your houseboy) - you would be doing humanity a big favour!!

grin grin What would a Coogar post be without the usual inflammatory , vitriolic portions. Nothing do you! grin
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by coogar: 8:04pm On Nov 25, 2012
can you please specify in ''particular'' what makes human different from each other?

why are you different from nigerian politicians? look at them, a small group of them are eating from 95% of the country's wealth while YOU and 95% of the nigerian population are left with the remaining 5% resources? when you bend your mind around that, ask me that question again.....

far from it....
i am raising my daughter for the security of her future.....i want to be sure the man i would give her to would take care of her and her children like i took care of my daughter. if i marry her to a poor guy, how's he going to achieve that feat? isn't he going to be a pest to my daughter. i am all for a symbiotic relationship......if you are a fan of a parasitic relationship then good luck to you. when you raise your daughter, marry her to the tallest fan yoghurt vendor in oshodi!

ileobatojo:
I'm talking about the fact that your last post completely ignored what we were discussing just prior to it.

i did not ignore anything....

Ah! Slowly but surely, you are getting there. What are these 'all things' that have to be equal?

provided the guy in discussion is responsible......he makes a decent income, he spends and saves wisely, he's driven and determined, etc.....how can he go wrong? isn't this the template to become successful for all and sundry?

Once again, this is false.

then the onus lies on your shoulder to prove its false!

grin grin What would a Coogar post be without the usual inflammatory , vitriolic portions. Nothing do you! grin

what's so inflammatory about my comment?
you want your daughter to choose who she wants to be with, right? if she chooses okon - who are you to disagree? love should come first even if the dude is a drug addict!
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by ChiSun27(m): 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2012
cant bliv i wasted my xpnsiv tym readn dis undying traditional post.

1 Like

Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by free2ryhme: 8:18pm On Nov 25, 2012
when the world ends ...class discrimination ends
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by pweeryambre: 8:19pm On Nov 25, 2012
@cooger
So any poor man dat comes for ur daughter must ride in okada? Is dat ur yard stick of measuring btw rich and the poor,? And wat happens wen he comes with his car?( As I know a lot of poor poeple dat drives cheap cars).. And by comportment I mean his generall manarisms and conversations not limited to table manners,
Meanwhile I never thot its a bad idea to want ur daughter to marry into a wealthy family, just dat if u only use physical and trivial things to judge between d rich and poor then u r lost. As I know a lot of rich people dat chose a very simple life style dat u can never know dia worth untill u get very close.
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by trolling(m): 8:19pm On Nov 25, 2012
far from it....
i am raising my daughter for the security of her future.....i want to be sure the man i would give her to would take care of her and her children like i took care of my daughter. if i marry her to a poor guy, how's he going to achieve that feat? isn't he going to be a pest to my daughter. i am all for a symbiotic relationship......if you are a fan of a parasitic relationship then good luck to you. when you raise your daughter, marry her to the tallest fan yoghurt vendor in oshodi!
u r on a long thing and who told u education is going to pay off, dont u understand economics, only if u know, just wait till the impending global depression, it shows how indoctrinated people are they say go to school and when u get out of school with yr massa's degrees you'll get a job or will be entitled to a job/profession... sorry to say but education is gonna fail a lot of people
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by trolling(m): 8:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
u r on a long thing and who told u education is going to pay off, dont u understand economics, only if u know, just wait till the impending global depression, it shows how indoctrinated people are they say go to school and when u get out of school with yr massa's degrees you'll get a job or will be entitled to a job/profession... sorry to say but education is gonna fail a lot of people
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar
why are you different from nigerian politicians? look at them, a small group of them are eating from 95% of the country's wealth while YOU and 95% of the nigerian population are left with the remaining 5% resources? when you bend your mind around that, ask me that question again.....

from this your comment, I guess your accept the fact that we are all equals as human, but the only differences is our financial status. but you lay more concentration on economic status, what if the suitor is still studying, or just a middle class comfortable person?

and what if the suitor as well is a criminal, or a rich Nigerian pastors with private jets all over, I guess the requirement in marrying your daughter is simple. be rich. pls correct me if I am wrong

far from it....

But you still fail to answer my question. here it is again.

what if your daughter insist on marrying somebody that you think does not meet your ''class'' what would you do? taking into consideration her right to choose.
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Anvaller: 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar:

so let's assume you became rich in your profession......
you laboured hard and you married a good wife who have you beautiful kids. you spent fortunes raising your daughters the right way. good education, excellent upbringing, outstanding family values and then one evening, a dirty looking unkempt guy shows up on your doorstep asking to see your daughter......how would you react?

Oh no coogar. Are u kidding me? So when a person is poor, u see them as dirty and unkempt... hmmm.. I see... but hey the poster wasn't asking about rich men allowing their children to marry junkies cos the picture u have in ur mind is that of a junky. He said "poor people". Let me help u here, the child of a common civil servant for example in Nigeria of today is absolutely "poor" if he is hoping to marry the child of a multi-millionaire. But in such scenario, u can not say such person is dirty and unkempt, there is just a wide gap in financial status and that's all, look I am sorry but I sense arrogance in ur reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Abali1(m): 8:29pm On Nov 25, 2012
trolling:
sorry to say but education is gonna fail a lot of people

Gbamest for this. Education alone will lead you to the rat race....... going round in circles.
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by coogar: 8:29pm On Nov 25, 2012
pweeryambre: @cooger
So any poor man dat comes for ur daughter must ride in okada? Is dat ur yard stick of measuring btw rich and the poor,? And wat happens wen he comes with his car?( As I know a lot of poor poeple dat drives cheap cars)..

cars are different from cars, my friend! the sound system in some cars would buy some people's cars. i think you need to define "poor" and "rich" before this argument can proceed any further - you are beginning to move the post!

And by comportment I mean his generall manarisms and conversations not limited to table manners,

there would still be a difference.....even his self confidence would vaporise in the presence of the parents of the rich folks no matter how much he can pretend....

Meanwhile I never thot its a bad idea to want ur daughter to marry into a wealthy family, just dat if u only use physical and trivial things to judge between d rich and poor then u r lost. As I know a lot of rich people dat chose a very simple life style dat u can never know dia worth untill u get very close.

you cannot hide wealth.....something would stand out like a sore thumb simple life or no simple life. the basic necessities of life would still be present no matter how simple you want to be as a rich man - and that alone is enough to qualify of disqualify any suitor!
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Abali1(m): 8:34pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar:

you cannot hide wealth.....something would stand out like a sore thumb simple life or no simple life.

Wealth dey like pregnancy, you no fit cover am....
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Truckpusher(m): 8:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
Are you saying that all poor people always look dirty and unkempt ?..again that's the mentality. I don't think that should be a problem because there are standards that can be used in measuring who you give out your daughters hand in marriage,unless you will also say categorically that you are also ready to give out your well tutored children to a well dressed drug baron that is well known for his criminal activities because all you want is the money irrespective of how it was made.
coogar:

you laboured hard and you married a good wife who have you beautiful kids. you spent fortunes raising your daughters the right way. good education, excellent upbringing, outstanding family values and then one evening, a dirty looking unkempt guy shows up on your doorstep asking to see your daughter......how would you react?
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by coogar: 8:41pm On Nov 25, 2012
Anvaller:
Oh no coogar. Are u kidding me? So when a person is poor, u see them as dirty and unkempt... hmmm.. I see... but hey the poster wasn't asking about rich men allowing their children to marry junkies cos the picture u have in ur mind is that of a junky. He said "poor people".

define poor people cos this is drifting to vagueness
i cannot answer your question cos you people are now shifting the post. the son of a civil servant in nigeria is not poor - he's middle class!

Let me help u here, the child of a common civil servant for example in Nigeria of today is absolutely "poor" if he is hoping to marry the child of a multi-millionaire. But in such scenario, u can not say such person is dirty and unkempt, there is just a wide gap in financial status and that's all, look I am sorry but I sense arrogance in ur reasoning.

define poor? put a salary scale to it and stop moving from post to post
this is getting tedious now and the whole topic is relative. what's poor to me could be rich to you and vice versa - so i don't even want to go round in circles. my stance is based on a very very rich girl and a very very poor boy!

from this your comment, I guess your accept the fact that we are all equals as human, but the only differences is our financial status. but you lay more concentration on economic status, what if the suitor is still studying, or just a middle class comfortable person?

we are not equal as human beings - don't deduce wrongly
even on nairaland that is completely virtual, there's no equality - some people have more rights than you do.....so stop kidding yourself you are equal to pastor oyakhilome because you have 2 eyes and 2 ears.

and what if the suitor as well is a criminal, or a rich Nigerian pastors with private jets all over, I guess the requirement in marrying your daughter is simple. be rich. pls correct me if I am wrong

of course you are wrong.....
being rich is not only the yardstick.......nigerians are often brainwashed that most rich people are bad n evil - big lie. you would find more well mannered people amongst the rich than the poor. you would find more criminals amongst the poor folks than the rich folks. what i want for my daughter is a responsible guy that would take adequate care of her!

But you still fail to answer my question. here it is again.
what if your daughter insist on marrying somebody that you think does not meet your ''class'' what would you do? taking into consideration her right to choose.

now, where would she meet someone that does not meet my requirement?
have you ever met babangida's daughter before in one of your sojourns to kuramo beach? would you ever come across mike adenuga's daughter @ kokobar? you just don't meet rich people anyhow - they are well sheltered and shielded from poor folks - like i said, you watch too much nollywood of poor ramsey nouah dating the princess of the village!
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Abali1(m): 8:42pm On Nov 25, 2012
Truckpusher: Are you saying that all poor people always look dirty and unkempt ?..again that's the mentality. I don't think that should be a problem because there are standards that can be used in measuring who you give out your daughters hand in marriage,unless you will also say categorically that you are also ready to give out your well tutored children to a well dressed drug baron that is well known for his criminal activities because all you want is the money irrespective of how it was made.

If I understand the arguement coogar and Jidegirl are making, it is that, First the guy coming for their daughters hand in marriage at least should be in the same class with her (if not above her). After that all other things will naturally follow.
It is not a question of morality, but one of priniciple.
Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar:

My brother, this is an unfortunate point of view for so many reasons. I did not have the patience to read beyond your post, because I think your post epitomises the flawed mindset that warranted this thread. Your opinion is based on too many wrong assumptions; remember that the thread is about 'class' and class divisions, not about values, education, et al.

1. You assume that class has much to do with "labouring hard", and that your class determines how 'good' your wife is and how beautiful your daughters are.

2. You assume that people that are not rich (or that are not in your 'class') cannot have good family values and cannot have excellent upbringing.

3. Most importantly, you not only assume, but you CONCLUDE that people in lower classes are necessarily "dirty-looking and unkempt". In other words, if YOU turn up at Dangote's door and ask for his daughter's hand in marriage, you would be regarded as "dirty-looking and unkempt", simply because you're not worth up to 1% of his $billions - regardless of how 'clean' you are, or how hardworking you are. This is exactly the point you're making.

Reminds me of some courtesans I've known in my time. When you ask them why they like dancing shamelessly around wealthy men, they shamelessly retort "do you expect me to date riff-raffs"! In their opinion, it is either you are wealthy, or you are a riff-raff. No middle-class, no in-betweens. Nothing! I am then forced to remind them that, by their own definition, they themselves are riff-riffs - since they are not wealthy, and nowhere near the class of men they sell themselves to.

In any case, 'rich' is a relative concept. As such, based on your orientation, people that are far richer than you would assume that you are a riff-raff - irrespective of your behaviour, looks, values, education, or anything else.

Truly unfortunate mindset, I tell you.

6 Likes

Re: Class Discrimination: When Will It End? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 25, 2012
coogar:

then the onus lies on your shoulder to prove its false!

What hard work would you say a child who inherits his family's wealth did? The hard work of sleeping and waking up every morning till his parents died?

How about those who obtain wealth on the strength of their family connections? What hard work did they do that is more than the laborer working from sunrise to sunset 24/7 to feed his family?

provided the guy in discussion is responsible......he makes a decent income, he spends and saves wisely, he's driven and determined, etc.....how can he go wrong? isn't this the template to become successful for all and sundry?

How does a poor man make a 'decent income'?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How Do You Love A Difficult Partner? / Help Save Baby Tomi / What Are The Uses Of Marriage Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.