Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,313 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? (20437 Views)

Seven Surprising Mistakes In Marriages. / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages / Minor Acts That Cause Damage In Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by bukatyne(f): 11:17pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nashville: I have been seeing the word "HELPER" being wrongly used to describe a wife. The wife should be a "HELP MEET". A helper is someone coming to help you, a help meet is someone that completes you and that is the role of the woman. She should complement and complete her husband. She is his missing rib.

The issue of submission is both scriptural and sensible. Most companies are never run on a 50/50 basis, there is always a CEO or Chairman who has overall responsibility and that is the man's role. He has overall responsibility and accountability. Submission to your husband means loyalty, commitment and sacrifice. It means trusting his judgement and deferring to him if you disagree. It means you should not insult, belittle or ridicule him. It means you should honour and love him. And a real man will respond by giving you undying love - sacrificing anything for you.

For the men, you should be a leader in your house and not a BOSS. You should serve your family and lead by example. Service includes financial and material provision, protection, emotional and psycological support. Bringing the children up (it is not only the responsibility of the wife) and showing unconditional love. You should have the vision for the family.
a nice write up but a man doesn't respond to a woman's submission by loving; a woman respond to her husband's love by submittin

4 Likes

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nashville: I have been seeing the word "HELPER" being wrongly used to describe a wife. The wife should be a "HELP MEET". A helper is someone coming to help you, a help meet is someone that completes you and that is the role of the woman. She should complement and complete her husband. She is his missing rib.

The issue of submission is both scriptural and sensible. Most companies are never run on a 50/50 basis, there is always a CEO or Chairman who has overall responsibility and that is the man's role. He has overall responsibility and accountability. Submission to your husband means loyalty, commitment and sacrifice. It means trusting his judgement and deferring to him if you disagree. It means you should not insult, belittle or ridicule him. It means you should honour and love him. And a real man will respond by giving you undying love - sacrificing anything for you.

For the men, you should be a leader in your house and not a BOSS. You should serve your family and lead by example. Service includes financial and material provision, protection, emotional and psycological support. Bringing the children up (it is not only the responsibility of the wife) and showing unconditional love. You should have the vision for the family.
Lol... It beats my imagination when submission as a tool by men to do what they like is now seen as being a measure of responsibility on the side of the women by some posters here. Jeez! To be submissive means to give up and accept to be belittled in this present generation. There are working women who earn more than men.

The present society is beyond mere village characters our forefather were used to.For example a man can wish to marry many wives as he wishes(mostly in our African society) and have affairs outside of marriage sometimes without it being pronounced as a bad thing. These we have seen in many societies forced many women to be unfaithful to their male spouses. I am not a married person, yet have seen time without numbers that these same men who want women to be submissive usually fall short of their responsibilities expecting the women to bear the consequences. Hahaha... African traditionalist has spoken well and must be the best way for everybody to go. Another thing, when it comes from the over- eulogized HOLY book it always right. We all forget that time changes, society, people and nothing remains constant in life!

Hahaha...What you've said is a masterpiece for the aged though. Not for the wise and modern!

where is Tiger Wood to shed more light on that?.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
tatiana009:

Lmao, yes o. Once we learn to act like that we will all buy plenty jewelry and live happily ever after. Such simple mindedness!

It gave me a good laugh, I tell you.

coogar:
mama biology, what's the dealie?

Oh you know, jejely going about my business, swatting away buzzing flies along the way. cheesy
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by trolling(m): 11:37pm On Dec 01, 2012
[quote author=coogar]

•providing for her
•securing her
•be accountable for every dime spent and the time spent
•loving her unconditionally
•attending to her at all times
•respecting her

and so on and so forth...
...look up your dictionary and find out the meaning of service and tell me what u find grin but all u mentioned is the husband's responsibilities or duties if she obeys him not service
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by trolling(m): 11:40pm On Dec 01, 2012
all4naija: Lol... It beats my imagination when submission as a tool by men to do what they like is now seen as being a measure of responsibility on the side of the women by some posters here. Jeez! To be submissive means to give up and accept to be belittled in this present generation. There are working women who earn more than men.

The present society is beyond mere village characters our forefather were used to.For example a man can wish to marry many wives as he wishes(mostly in our African society) and have affairs outside of marriage sometimes without it being pronounced as a bad thing. These we have seen in many societies forced many women to be unfaithful to their male spouses. I am not a married person, yet have seen time without numbers that these same men who want women to be submissive usually fall short of their responsibilities expecting the women to bear the consequences. Hahaha... African traditionalist has spoken well and must be the best way for everybody to go. Another thing, when it comes from the over- eulogized HOLY book it always right. We all forget that time changes, society, people and nothing remains constant in life!

Hahaha...What you've said is a masterpiece for the aged though. Not for the wise and modern!

u can give all that feminist sentiments but there comes a time regardless of how much you make,7 humble women will be asking and begging a man to be their husband and i can back it up in the scriptures..now u can rant and rave all u want to grin
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by sambussie(m): 11:40pm On Dec 01, 2012
[CHocolaTE:
]

So what you are saying is that people should follow whatever laws they find in the Bible without bothering to check if these laws are logical/commonsensical?
U are not smarter than †ђз bible. As a xtain, u have 2 be submissive 2 †ђз Bible.

My view:
Wen a man says "I do", it means he agrees 2 luv his wife. Meaning he won't take any decision to her detriment.
On †ђз other hand, wen a woman says I do, it means she has agreed to accept his decisions, believing its always †ђз best.
My point:
Love & submission are intertwined.
A man has 2 be very wise in decision making. 2 earn his wife's submission.
A woman who is stupid enough
2 say "I do" 2 a foolish man, should accept his decisions, cuz she made †ђз mistake of accepting him @ 1st, 4 reasons best known 2 her, if not, dere'll b a big problem. Cuz foolish men are mostly bossy. Wise men listen.
So ladies, †ђз ball is in ur court.*choose wisely*

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by bukatyne(f): 11:42pm On Dec 01, 2012
Shollypopz: Submission of women without sugar-coating:

1.) Your husband has the final say. If u like voice your opinions as much as u want, his want and will comes b4 urs
2.) He decides what you do to help the family. It's not your choice
3.) You are a subordinate, he is the boss!
4.) You help him achieve his dreams. Yours doesn't matter cos what ur goal and dream should be is helping him achieve his.

hheheehehee *evil grin*.....Submission is crap, plain oppression and bullsh1t! If a home has to hv a head, then let the smarter one take the role. The role shouldn't be defined by gender.

dear sholly, this ain't submission. a husband loves his wife by esteemin her and placing her first in his life. he serves her and does everything within his power to please her. d wife now responds to her husband's love by submittin (esteemin him above herself) so there is a balance. the genuine love of a husband makes d wife blossom and she takes care of him so that he can blossom also. submission is natural to a loved wife; she does everything in her power to please her husband. because she knows dat her husband places her first when giving suggestions, she easily trusts his judgement. a lot of men don't know the love required of them is more than d wife's submission. a genuine love of a husband is so deep!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 01, 2012
trolling:
u can give all that feminist sentiments but there comes a time regardless of how much you make,7 humble women will be asking and begging a man to be their husband and i can back it up in the scriptures..now u can rant and rave all u want to grin
What has that got to do with submission? There are always those who just want to be abused! Accept it or not life is not fair. Think outside of Africa and religion. There are also instances of men begging women. It is vice versa,dude.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 01, 2012
bukatyne: a nice write up but a man doesn't respond to a woman's submission by loving; a woman respond to her husband's love by submittin

Neither responds to the other. If you have a Christian marriage, there are vows you have made to your partner/God to do for the rest of your life. Even though the Bible talks first about a man loving his wife, I do not think (my opinion) it is a condition for submission. Submission by the wife is required irrespective of how much love the man shows. Likewise, men should always love their wives, even when they have wives that are not particularly submissive.

We all need to remember the vows we take on our wedding day are vows made to our spouses with God as a witness. And these vows are not dependent on our spouses behaviour, that is why the Bishop will say for better and for worse.

2 Likes

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 01, 2012
Oh oh.... The dead still talks?? cheesy.... God is good o! grin
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nashville:

Neither responds to the other. If you have a Christian marriage, there are vows you have made to your partner/God to do for the rest of your life. Even though the Bible talks first about a man loving his wife, I do not think (my opinion) it is a condition for submission. Submission by the wife is required irrespective of how much love the man shows. Likewise, men should always love their wives, even when they have wives that are not particularly submissive.

We all need to remember the vows we take on our wedding day are vows made to our spouses with God as a witness. And these vows are not dependent on our spouses behaviour, that is why the Bishop will say for better and for worse.
The most misunderstanding thing here by some is that the submission in the bible seems to be centred around a woman not to refuse her husband marital intimacy. That one men can abuse sometimes. There is always enslaving tone in all these religion/traditional practices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 01, 2012
all4naija: Lol... It beats my imagination when submission as a tool by men to do what they like is now seen as being a measure of responsibility on the side of the women by some posters here. Jeez! To be submissive means to give up and accept to be belittled in this present generation. There are working women who earn more than men.

I will advice you as someone who has been married for a while. Poster asked, what is the real meaning of submission and not what African men have turned it into. I am sure if you have read the post, most people do not support insulting and belittling women all in the name of submission. And on you point on who earns more, money should not determine who calls the shots in a marriage. Someone earning more today may earn less tomorrow and there should not be any form of competition between husband and wife. Never mind, when you get married, you will understand better.

2 Likes

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nashville:

Wedding vows are about equality. Please, can you state them here for us to see?
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by trolling(m): 11:53pm On Dec 01, 2012
all4naija: What has that got to do with submission? There are always those who just want to be abused! Accept it or not life is not fair. Think outside of Africa and religion. There are also instances of men begging women. It is vice versa,dude.
its a punk of a man that would beg a woman, anyways keep your liberal mindset up...what i stated has got a lot to do with submission read isaiah 4;1 then let me see what your western mind has to say wink
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nashville:

I will advice you as someone who has been married for a while. Poster asked, what is the real meaning of submission and not what African men have turned it into. I am sure if you have read the post, most people do not support insulting and belittling women all in the name of submission. And on you point on who earns more, money should not determine who calls the shots in a marriage. Someone earning more today may earn less tomorrow and there should not be any form of competition between husband and wife. Never mind, when you get married, you will understand better.
The truth is no far-fetched. It doesn't require getting married to understand that submission is not a responsibility of a woman. It is lopsided, unfair and favor the man only - most time to the detriment of a woman. I quite understand something about what you are driving at. Then again, marriage is not about a man, it is about both couples to be responsible to their rights and vows. The truth is that men are usually the cause of the problem in many cases due to this submission thing(male chauvinism).

The reason why I said some women earn more is that some people are capitalizing on the man making the money and for that reason he must have the right to do anything without the women consent.

That male chauvinism is in the tone of most comments by the male folks here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:02am On Dec 02, 2012
trolling:
its a punk of a man that would beg a woman, anyways keep your liberal mindset up...what i stated has got a lot to do with submission read isaiah 4;1 then let me see what your western mind has to say wink
lol... Where are you at? You said "it is a male punk that would beg a woman". You just proved you are a male chauvinist. Please, try to study the origin of male chauvinism.

I am Atheist. Sorry!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by coogar: 12:02am On Dec 02, 2012
trolling:
..look up your dictionary and find out the meaning of service and tell me what u find but all u mentioned is the husband's responsibilities or duties if she obeys him not service

service - the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by oyin50(f): 12:17am On Dec 02, 2012
ileobatojo:

Lmao! grin grin They are very happy together eh? I'm sure. As long as all that high carat jewelry continue to flow, it's all good.. cheesy cheesy

I need to come and learn some manipulation submission tactics from your mom o. grin grin
. Poverty really sucks.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by sambussie(m): 12:21am On Dec 02, 2012
@all4naija, †ђз bible or quaran, is †ђз word of God, so if u fear God follow it.
Dis issue, depends on d basis which any1 chooses 2 follow, religion or legality (logic). Hence, if u do. Ur marriage in †ђз church or mosque, u must follow whot †ђз scriptures say. If its a court marriage, then u can do woteva u lyk under †ђз ambit of †ђз law.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by oyin50(f): 12:23am On Dec 02, 2012
ileobatojo:

Lmao! grin grin They are very happy together eh? I'm sure. As long as all that high carat jewelry continue to flow, it's all good.. cheesy cheesy

I need to come and learn some manipulation submission tactics from your mom o. grin grin
. You astonish me with ur fake ameerikaana wanna be ideology. If only u know that water and oil can never mix. Internet stunts. Before my pops started commanding millions of dollars, my mum hawked ice fish for him and gave him the excesses leaving her with nothing. All these local wannabes
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 02, 2012
sambussie: @all4naija, †ђз bible or quaran, is †ђз word of God, so if u fear God follow it.
Dis issue, depends on which basis which any1 chooses 2 follow, religion or legality (logic). Hence, if u do. Ur marriage in †ђз church or mosque, u must follow whot †ђз scriptures say. If its a court marriage, then u can dowoteva u lyk under †ђз ambit of †ђз law.
You are very funny! I said I AM ATHEIST!
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 02, 2012
all4naija: The truth is no far-fetched. It doesn't require getting married to understand that submission is not a responsibility of a woman. It is lopsided, unfair and favor the man only - most time to the detriment of a woman. I quite understand something about what you are driving at. Then again, marriage is not about a man, it is about both couples to be responsible to their rights and vows. The truth is that men are usually the cause of the problem in many cases due to this submission thing(male chauvinism).

The reason why I said some women earn more is that some people are capitalizing on the man making the money and for that reason he must have the right to do anything without the women consent.

That male chauvinism is in the tone of most comments by the male folks here.

So do you believe in equality in marriage? Do you think it can really work? Two captains in a ship? Two CEOs in one organisation? Two Presidents for one country? Two governors for one state? Tell me how it works, I am listening!! Or you may let your wife be the leader when you get married

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 02, 2012
oyin50: . You astonish me with ur fake ameerikaana wanna be ideology. If only u know that water and oil can never mix. Internet stunts. Before my pops stated commanding millions of dollars, my mum hawked ice fish for him and gave him the excesses leaving her with nothing. All these local wannabes
Everything changes. Just that some refused to change unknowing to them they are changing. Please, this is not about American ideology!
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by sambussie(m): 12:29am On Dec 02, 2012
coogar:

service - the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose.
†ђз word u shld check is "serve* not "service*
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 02, 2012
Nashville:

So do you believe in equality in marriage? Do you think it can really work? Two captains in a ship? Two CEOs in one organisation? Two President for one country? Two governors for one state? Tell me how it works, I am listening!! Or you may let your wife be the leader when you get married
Stop using such flawed analogy of two captains can't pilot a ship. family is made up of the two people who agree to vows of mutual respect, marital responsibilities and their children or who would be born. Family is not like a ship with a captain, it is more like a plane with two pilots. That is my view.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by sambussie(m): 12:33am On Dec 02, 2012
all4naija: You are very funny! I said I AM ATHEIST!
I'm sorry, am not exposed 2 DT word. Can u define it? 10x
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:35am On Dec 02, 2012
sambussie:
I'm sorry, am not exposed 2 DT word. Can u define it? 10x
Google is your friend for definitions.

1 Like

Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 02, 2012
all4naija: Stop using such flawed analogy of two captains can't pilot a ship. family is made up of the two people who agree to vows of mutual respect, marital responsibilities and their children who would be born. Family is not like a ship with a captain, it is more like a plane with two pilots. That is my view.

Good, but the two pilots have titles. One is the Captain and the other is a First Officer. Please do your research and confirm. Tell me how these shared equality works. You seem to be the only one that understands it. Anyway the family is the basic unit of association. It is a reflection of the larger society and yes it is comparable to everything else. I am waiting on you to explain how this shared responsibility works and to confirm about pilots!
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by sambussie(m): 12:37am On Dec 02, 2012
all4naija: Google is your friend for definitions.
*smiles* I actually luv dt. 10x
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 02, 2012
oyin50: . You astonish me with ur fake ameerikaana wanna be ideology. If only u know that water and oil can never mix. Internet stunts. Before my pops started commanding millions of dollars, my mum hawked ice fish for him and gave him the excesses leaving her with nothing. All these local wannabes

Abeg, no vex! It's americana poverty mentality that's worrying me.
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by Nobody: 12:47am On Dec 02, 2012
Nashville:

Good, but the two pilots have titles. One is the Captain and the other is a First Officer. Please do your research and confirm. Tell me how these shared equality works. You seem to be the only one that understands it. Anyway the family is the basic unit of association. It is a reflection of the larger society and yes it is comparable to everything else. I am waiting on you to explain how this shared responsibility works and to confirm about pilots!
Lol@ title. It is like man and woman! You too refuse to get it. The idea of the ship is that two captains cannot pilot it insinuate that only the man is in control of every thing, which is not the case with aircraft. Indeed, the first officer is equally as in command as the captain in a plane. This is what a captain of a flight is "a person to operate the aircraft for the specific flight and flight conditions, but need not be actually manipulating the controls at any given moment" -culled from Wikipedia.

The truth is that you are using this analogy in the real sense to show that captain of a flight should be the sole pilot as it is with a ship. You see you are still wrong, even with the name attach to a captain in an aircraft.

In a broader sense submissiveness doesn't add anything than to put the other person on a edge of no influence in the family. This control through submission is merely a way to take opportunity and trample on rights of a woman.

Why not let them co-operate than one being submissive?
Re: What Does 'submission' Of Women In Marriages Mean Exactly? by oyin50(f): 12:47am On Dec 02, 2012
ileobatojo:

Abeg, no vex! It's poverty mentality that's worrying me.
. Fine, but insulting my mom who suffered with my dad when he was so poor is very painful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Ways To Hold Your Temper / Bullying: I Taught My Son To Fight Back / Professor And Wife Celebrate 55th Wedding Anniversary (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.