Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. (10046 Views)

Yoruba Will Not Like This (pic) / Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. / Why Yoruba Will Never Support Goodluck Jonathan In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by OAM4J: 5:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
Who is an outsider and who's not. So, someone who was born in Lagos or has lived there most of his life is an outsider. So, someone like Shymmex who has never set foot in Nigeria, will come back and automatically not be a stranger because he's an indigene? If the non-indigene Lagosians can be trusted to vote for a governor then trust is not an issue here.

Ok. Like I said you are entitled to your opinion.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 06, 2013
People don't even know the level of sophistication of Nigerian political landscape. As difficult as it seems, it is much more easier for Igbo to become President than to produce governor in Lagos. Yorubas don't joke with political issues.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
Who is an outsider and who's not. So, someone who was born in Lagos or has lived there most of his life is an outsider. So, someone like Shymmex who has never set foot in Nigeria, will come back and automatically not be a stranger because he's an indigene? If the non-indigene Lagosians can be trusted to vote for a governor then trust is not an issue here.

Fam, where am I from?? As long as I'm Nigerian and I'm from Lagos - I have the right to lord over my home state... I'm not even interested in politics right now, however, never say never... My surname alone should do the magic and my family is well connected.. grin

Heck, my late grandpops used to be the mayor of a local government over there in the 70s!!

Shymmex for Lagos state governor in 2027!! cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Afam4eva(m): 5:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
shymexx:

Fam, where am I from?? As long as I'm Nigerian and I'm from Lagos - I have the right to lord over my home state... I'm not even interested in politics right now, however, never say never... My surname alone should do the magic and my family is well connected.. grin

Heck, my late grandpops used to be the mayor of a local government over there in the 70s!!

Shymmex for Lagos state governor in 2027!! cool
Just let me know when you're coming so that i will show you the road to your village.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by T9ksy(m): 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2013
J12:

Sure you can't, but it helps. We were amalgamated by the british in 1914, we're still living together as country since then. Force is a very powerful tool

Of course, force is a powerful tool!

Can you explain to me how you intend to force a man who was made to watch, as his entire family was butchered by boko haram to see any northerner as a

fellow "nigerian". But then, like you opined, force is indeed, a powerful tool.

A popular adage says "you can force a donkey to the stream however you can't force the donkey to drink from the stream" .
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
Just let me know when you're coming so that i will show you the road to your village.

Don't worry about that, bro... grin Lagos is mine!! cool
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 06, 2013
shymexx:

But did he win?? However, that's a guy whose ancestry isn't in Nigeria but has become a Nigerian because he was born and raised in Nigeria... He should be allowed to contest and be voted for since his pseudo-ancestry is in the North and nowhere else in the same country... Anyone whose ancestry is in the country shouldn't get the same pass...

Stop comparing apples to oranges...

WTF! Your opinion/suggestion is even more prejudicial. Why can't the foreigner go back to his country and become a politician there? What if the person whose ancestry is in the country is an orphan who cannot trace his ancestry, what if he/she is partly from the state or an adopted indigene of the state?

shymexx: They contributed to the development of the state and Lagos indigenes also provided them with the environment to thrive - so that should cancel out whatever development(s) they contributed to the state...

Again, it has more to do with greed and not tribalism... Why try to lord over the next man's house when you have got your own house??

This is tribalism man. Non-lagosian yorubas(yorubas whose ancestry isn't in lagos) have been elected as governors of lagos, but a non-lagosian non=yoruba can't hold the same position. Its tribalism
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Afam4eva(m): 5:23pm On Jan 06, 2013
I don't even know where this Igbo or non-indigene governorship thing is coming from because in real life, people are not even interested in all these things. It's only on nairaland that i hear this stuff.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 06, 2013
J12:
WTF! Your opinion/suggestion is even more prejudicial. Why can't the foreigner go back to his country and become a politician there? What if the person whose ancestry is in the country is an orphan who cannot trace his ancestry, what if he/she is partly from the state or an adopted indigene of the state?

The same reason why a stranger can become a King and not someone who isn't from royal family in the old African Kingdoms... Change the stranger to foreigner, the king to the governor, and the royal family to the indigenes/yorubas... You lot need to start studying your history to understand the outlook of the people - it'll help in improving your thought process... Rather than the pseud-modern crap you lot spew all the time!!

This is tribalism man. Non-lagosian yorubas(yorubas whose ancestry isn't in lagos) have been elected as governors of lagos, but a non-lagosian non=yoruba can't hold the same position. Its tribalism.

It's greed, period!! Any ethnic group that wants to rule Lagos should elect a Lagos indigene to lord over them first and we shall reciprocate that... undecided undecided
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 5:32pm On Jan 06, 2013
Gbawe:

Thank you my guy. Political sophistication will come to Nigeria even more slowly because we are unlucky with how events have panned out to make many Nigerians, whether they care to accept it or not, highly prejudiced people who make biased judgements regarding considerations (ethnicity, gender, religion et al) that are not such a big deal elsewhere.

You will see diasporans who should know better, via seeing their fellow Nigerian take political office in their diasporan Nations, come here to say Mr.X must never govern Lagos because he is not Awori despite the fact that Mr.X may be more talented, more dedicated to Lagos and more beneficial to the State than most Aworis. Those are the sort of issues we are grappling with that indicate Nigeria still has a long way to go.

To be honest, I hanker for the systems I see working well elsewhere to arrive in Nigeria but I have pragmatically come to accept these things will "need time to develop" , as you state, watching how majority of Nigerians act, think and talk .

Without a doubt, Nigerians will become more sophisticated politically in the future to the extent ethnic origin will matter less regarding individuals gaining political positions on merit but that time is still far away in future

I think Gbawe has now confused issues here. Who among all the posters have segregated anyone because he is Awori or not ?

All the posters indigenes and non- indigenes are saying is that is it possible for a non-Yoruba governor would govern Lagos and I don't think anyone spoke of Awori's right to anything here.

Is it because Mr X might not what Tinubu to keep controlling ACN and Mr X might just want change just as we gave Fashola a chance at it which was very impressive.

Both indigene and non-indigene just don't want another imposed candidate that would be tinubu's puppet. I believe in democracy and advancement of any Nigerian state, Lagos is too big for one man to turn to his personal business.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
T9ksy:

Of course, force is a powerful tool!

Can you explain to me how you intend to force a man who was made to watch, as his entire family was butchered by boko haram to see any northerner as a

fellow "nigerian". But then, like you opined, force is indeed, a powerful tool.

A popular adage says "you can force a donkey to the stream however you can't force the donkey to drink from the stream" .

I was talking of force(legitimate force) in some instances. For example, Buba Marwa was the governor of lagos state for three straight years. He was forced on the people, and they had no other choice but to accept his administration.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 5:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
shymexx:

It's greed, period!! Anyone ethnic group that wants to rule Lagos should elect a Lagos indigene to lord over them first and we shall reciprocate that... undecided undecided

Shymexx Shymexx Shymexx. How many times did I call you. Stop this mentality.

Anyone can contest and if he wins can rule any state (in this case lagos). It does not matter if he just came from Adamawa yesterday. Don't give people the wrong impression here.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 06, 2013
alj harem:

Anyone can contest and if he wins can rule any state (in this case lagos). It does not matter if he just came from Adamawa yesterday. Don't give people the wrong impression here.

That's unacceptable, bro... And if the people start Boko Haram-esque type of violence after that, it'll be justified...
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 5:39pm On Jan 06, 2013
@ Afam4eva

Why did you delete and ban Shollypopz ?

I am sure she has every right to express her anger at some of the posters here which you did not ban. That is wrong.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Afam4eva(m): 5:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
alj harem: @ Afam4eva

I am sure she has every right to express her anger at some of the posters here which you did not ban. That is wrong.
She was throwing insults around.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 5:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
shymexx:

That's unacceptable, bro... And if the people start Boko Haram-esque type of violence after that, it'll be justified...

No, get my point. No person among us would want a boko haram in their state. Everything would be carefully considered before electing the person in.

Do you think a Kanuri indigene would vote for an associate of boko haram in Lagos just because he is from Yobe ? Certainly not
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 5:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
She was throwing insults around.

Let her express her anger, afterall this not an FP thread and the discussion is limited to few people on Nairaland. Some are even just ignoring her so let her air her views

Moreover this is her first time.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Afam4eva(m): 5:46pm On Jan 06, 2013
alj harem:

Let her express her anger, afterall this not an FP thread and the discussion is limited to few people on Nairaland. Some are even just ignoring her so let her air her views

Moreover this is her first time.
I warned her and after being banned she still used her other monikers to spread hate.

If she wants to vent her anger then she should start a blog. It's not gonna happen on the politics section. No way.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by T9ksy(m): 5:47pm On Jan 06, 2013
J12:

I was talking of force(legitimate force) in some instances. For example, Buba Marwa was the governor of lagos state for three straight years. He was forced on the people, and they had no other choice but to accept his administration.

Yeah so? Like you rightly said, Buba Marwa was forced on the people but that doesn't mean that yorubas sees him as one of them. At the end of

the day, he is still an aboki, period. Ol' boy, forget it! We can never be ONE! "Too much water has passed under our bridge" for us to ever perceive ourselves

as ONE Nigeria.

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 5:48pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
I warned her and after being banned she still used her other monikers to spread hate.

If she wants to vent her anger then she should start a blog. It's not gonna happen on the politics section. No way.

LOL and you think by banning her, it would end it ?

She is only responding to what she is reading not that she is spreading hate.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Get2go: 6:11pm On Jan 06, 2013
The alliance by LP, APGA, ANPP, CPC in lagos will be the breakthrough in havin NON-INDIGENOUS LAGOS GOVERNOR in 2015.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by T9ksy(m): 6:13pm On Jan 06, 2013
alj harem:

@ bolded..........Haba Alhaji, 4 where? Can an ibo man contest and win election in kano state? Alhaji, please try and be real for once, jo.

Charity they say begins at home. Am from ogun state though i don't live there at the moment but if i want to help my people i would rather go and contest in my

state or region than in abuja. Ile la bo simi oko- eventually i would retire to my home state so why then would i want to expend my whole life's energy in

another man's state knowingly fully well that i intend to spend the twilight of my sojourn in this world, in my home state?

We yorubas still remember vividly what happened in the first republic when the ibos under the banner of one nigeria pitched their tent with the abokis. I

implore you to go and listen to Akintola's campaign speech of 1964/65 and hear how NCNC and the ibos took over all the ministerial posts earmarked for the

south of the country bar one-minister of labour. Even 3 out of the four higher institution of learning in yorubaland was headed by ibos when at the time in

question, yorubas were still way ahead of the ibos as per educational attainment. Who wants to be marginalised in his own father's land by outsiders.

Hell no, we do not trust nor like each other. Why then should i entrust the future of my household in the hands of my "friend" when am quite capable of doing

it, myself? And by no strectch of the imagination can one say the r/ship between the yorubas and the ibos, is friendly.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by koruji(m): 6:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
So, if you don't know, you are promoting conspiracy against Yoruba in Yoruba-land.
You will bite more than you can chew and lose you head in the process.
Olosi - you haven't learnt any lessons, as I have always said on this forum.

Get2go: When I say Non-yoruba rulin Lagos in 2015, i'm not refering to Igbos because they are not the only ones making up the greater percentage of Lagos population. And since we are in a democracy, i strongly believe that a man from Eastern or Northern origin will be the governor of Lagos in a free and fair election if all non-yorubas support his candidacy. Governance is about the welfare of the citizens of a country residing in a particular place and i believe in Hausa man or Igbo or Ijaw Governor of Lagos will do just fine for indigenes and non-indigenes considering that non-yorubas constitutes for about not less than 70% of Lagos population. This can as well be applicable in any state of the federation.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by koruji(m): 6:29pm On Jan 06, 2013
Again, if you don't know, you are promoting conspiracy against Yoruba in Yoruba-land.

Get2go: The alliance by LP, APGA, ANPP, CPC in lagos will be the breakthrough in havin NON-INDIGENOUS LAGOS GOVERNOR in 2015.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Get2go: 6:46pm On Jan 06, 2013
koruji: Again, if you don't know, you are promoting conspiracy against Yoruba in Yoruba-land.

There is no conspiracy against lagos indigenes. We are compaigning as rightful citizens of one nigeria, and we hope lagos indigenes give maximum support to any popular LAGOSIAN candidate come 2015. We are Lagosians!!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by jason123: 7:05pm On Jan 06, 2013
Get2go: There is no conspiracy against lagos indigenes. We are compaigning as rightful citizens of one nigeria, and we hope lagos indigenes give maximum support to any popular LAGOSIAN candidate come 2015. We are Lagosians!!

Stop wasting your time. The only "non-indigenes" interested in your adventures are fellow Igbos. Most non-indigenes don't have time for this. I'll advise any political party (like PPA..lol...who presented an Igbo woman with a Yoruba middle-name in the last election. I think only her family voted for her..lol) that wants to present an IGBO man not to WASTE their money. It will be a colossal waste!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 7:20pm On Jan 06, 2013
Get2go: It is a ONE NIGERIA thing!

you don miss road...

You lead the way with your wonderful Nigeria thing in your village and maybe we'll follow your great example, but till then, leave Lagos alone.

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by jason123: 7:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
Heck, most of you guys are not even on ground. If you are, you'll not talk this way.

My predictions for 2015, as I predicted right for Mimiko, I'll do the same here:

1) If GEJ wins the PDP primaries, He'll find it difficult but He'll likely win. At least, he can forget the SW (PDP SW will still pull some for him) and North.

2) If GEJ loses the Primaries, PDP will retain the Presidential seat. All these ACN/CPC talk na wash!

3) PDP will win Lagos state IF they present a credible young candidate! Lagosians are tired of Tinubu.

4) Any party that uses an Igbo candidate will barely get 400 votes.

You've heard it here first!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by odogwux(m): 7:26pm On Jan 06, 2013
alj harem: @ Afam4eva

People cannot come to a internet visited by many and spew crap like this - anonymous site or not -

Shollypopz:

Yorubas tolerate crap, walahi I wan create my own boko haram. Kill all Igbos in Lagos state. Na Sholly E. Popz talk am and I approve this message!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by jason123: 7:28pm On Jan 06, 2013
2015 Lagos state is between ACN and PDP!!! ....And none of them will present an Igbo candidate as Governor, Deputy Governor, Speaker or what have you! What you might get is political appointments, Festac chairman (appointed not elected) and reduction of tax collected in Ladipo!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by ikeyman00(m): 7:29pm On Jan 06, 2013
shymmex

Fam, where am I from?? As long as I'm Nigerian and I'm from Lagos - I have the right to lord over my home state... I'm not even interested in politics right now, however, never say never... My surname alone should do the magic and my family is well connected..

Shymmex for Lagos state governor in 2027!!

looks like someone is enjoying the missing and looted oil money from the 70s lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Fasehun And I Proposed For S’west Pipeline Security Contract – Gani Adams / Impeachment Of Buhari Not What We Need – Afenifere / Mile 2-lagos Badagry Expressway Closed For Reconstruction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.