Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,710 members, 7,837,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Benin City Reborn! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin City Reborn! (41994 Views)

Biafra A Nation About To Be Reborn / Is Sincere9igerian Beaf Reborn? / Colonialism Is Reborn! Pentagon Carves Africa Into Military Zones! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmoTier1(m): 12:21am On Jan 17, 2013
asha 80:

in nigeria people move to where they make money and not where it is clean.
If there was so much money in those places, GRA in Benin would not be full with deltans!
Re: Benin City Reborn! by asha80(m): 12:27am On Jan 17, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
If there was so much money in those places, GRA in Benin would not be full with deltans!

i do not know much about benin but i know for a fact that the population of 'dirty' onitsha and its environs is probably twice that of 'clean' enugu.same thing with 'dirty' aba and 'clean' owerri.

3 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmoTier1(m): 12:38am On Jan 17, 2013
asha 80:

i do not know much about benin but i know for a fact that the population of 'clean' onitsha and its environs is probably twice that of 'clean' enugu.same thing with 'dirty' aba and 'clean' owerri.
I mean no insult,but does onitsha have any clean place at all? Benin we are told holds over 1.2million population! I remember when I was in the state, people in GRA where I stayed kept saying that the governor is refusing to award roads in GRA because He said most of them have big houses and big cars so can afford to help themselves with fixing any failed portion of their roads while He fixes the one used by the masses.

I mean the sight of seeing people queue in even villages in Edo central to board the commrade bus was simply a wow knowing what our people used to be like when they want to board the bus! Like I said, it is not yet Uhuru, but th man is gradually repositioning that state.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by asha80(m): 12:43am On Jan 17, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
I mean no insult,but does onitsha have any clean place at all? Benin we are told holds over 1.2million population! I remember when I was in the state, people in GRA where I stayed kept saying that the governor is refusing to award roads in GRA because He said most of them have big houses and big cars so can afford to help themselves with fixing any failed portion of their roads while He fixes the one used by the masses.

I mean the sight of seeing people queue in even villages in Edo central to board the commrade bus was simply a wow knowing what our people used to be like when they want to board the bus! Like I said, it is not yet Uhuru, but th man is gradually repositioning that state.

not to derail the thread but the GRA in onitsha is clean.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmoTier1(m): 12:54am On Jan 17, 2013
asha 80:

not to derail the thread but the GRA in onitsha is clean.
Benin city is suffering from what Lagos is suffering from in that the city has lots of road networks constructed in the 80s' but with no provision for drainage, covered walk ways and most of these roads are due for reconstruction, unfortunately, 10years under PDP did not help in that they stole much of what should have been used to fix those roads and now Oshiomhole I believe is now faced with the huge task of getting them fixed! Tarred roads in Benin alone runs in thousands ok km but less than half I believe are standard roads by today's standard.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by asha80(m): 1:05am On Jan 17, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Benin city is suffering from what Lagos is suffering from in that the city has lots of road networks constructed in the 80s' but with no provision for drainage, covered walk ways and most of these roads are due for reconstruction, unfortunately, 10years under PDP did not help in that they stole much of what should have been used to fix those roads and now Oshiomhole I believe is now faced with the huge task of getting them fixed! Tarred roads in Benin alone runs in thousands ok km but less than half I believe are standard roads by today's standard.

hey i am not doubting what oshiomole is doing in benin.i just simply responded to that sentence about people moving from 'dirty'onitsha,warri and asaba to benin.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by chreldb(m): 1:18am On Jan 17, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

I heard of Oshiomhole's strides in Edo State and when I was in Nigeria not too long ago, I went to that state to see for myself! It is not a fluke what you are seeing on the pics post by the op. Given the fact that Edo budget is 1/3rd that of Delta and much of the revenue to the state is from small business taxation which is very difficult to rain in, I give his government a thumbs up.

The Benin city water storm project, huge expansion of the central hospital, schools with floor tiles, proper toilets, very comfortable individual desk and chairs, water project in Edo central, dualization in Igarra, Auchi, and one rural road that cuts across 22, I mean 22 villages, just to say a few of the projects I saw with my eyes.

If anything, all the major roads that was being expanded which I saw have standard dividers, with greens, covered walkways, with standard road markings. Sapele road shown in one of the pics was constructed by Setraco and I tell you it is a 6-lane road of very high quality!

This is not to say they aren't areas the government need to improve upon, but whatI can say is where money has been spent, it is obvious to the sincere at heart that it has been good value for money spent. No doubt, if Edo continue to invest in infrastructure in this manner with proper maintenance, the state will become a choices destination for those running away from the dirtiness of onitsha, Asaba, Warri, etc.

You are correct Oshiomole is doing well. Considering the fact that the state was raped for 10 years under the administration of a super mario bros (you know who). He is doing the best he can with the resources at his disposal. But showcasing airport road, sapele road and some privately owned hotels in GRA does not do justice to his efforts @ all. The bolded part of your qouted post just casted my mind back to what I saw in the dilapitated state owned secondary schools like Idia college et al. The air conditioned class rooms and refurbished buildings is simply amazing. I never thought that state owned secondary schools in the state could amount to anything but the governor has prooved otherwise. Those pictures along with that of the central hospitals and other things he is doing @ the grassroots are what should be shown to outsiders. Not GRA and Sapele road that have always been relatively developed compared to other areas even during the time of PDP rule.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:37am On Jan 17, 2013
brixton: Lol, stop usin pics to decieve me abeg. Water log stil de ihama and boundary road? In as much as I'd commend d gov, der lota work to be done esp in our rotten gra

My Benin is looking great and I can hardly recognize RING ROAD.
That aside,your comment is exactly what I have been hammering on..."how about other parts of the state" Development must be spread out before Oshiomole can beat his chest and say he has achieved something.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:50am On Jan 17, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

I heard of Oshiomhole's strides in Edo State and when I was in Nigeria not too long ago, I went to that state to see for myself! It is not a fluke what you are seeing on the pics post by the op. Given the fact that Edo budget is 1/3rd that of Delta and much of the revenue to the state is from small business taxation which is very difficult to rain in, I give his government a thumbs up.

The Benin city water storm project, huge expansion of the central hospital, schools with floor tiles, proper toilets, very comfortable individual desk and chairs, water project in Edo central, dualization in Igarra, Auchi, and one rural road that cuts across 22, I mean 22 villages, just to say a few of the projects I saw with my eyes.

If anything, all the major roads that was being expanded which I saw have standard dividers, with greens, covered walkways, with standard road markings. Sapele road shown in one of the pics was constructed by Setraco and I tell you it is a 6-lane road of very high quality!

This is not to say they aren't areas the government need to improve upon, but whatI can say is where money has been spent, it is obvious to the sincere at heart that it has been good value for money spent. No doubt, if Edo continue to invest in infrastructure in this manner with proper maintenance, the state will become a choices destination for those running away from the dirtiness of onitsha, Asaba, Warri, etc.

Oga mr. gullible, let me quickly remind you that Anambra has a better school system,health system,better road network and governance more than Edo. How many industries has your Oshio brought to Edo. He is wasting tax payers money to beautify Benin to please the Omo n' Oba while the rest of the stae rot in neglet. Anambra is relatively a new state still and you lots are not financially better of than us. Everythin Obi has done he did it with Anambra money. NO BORROWING!!!!
Re: Benin City Reborn! by oseiwe(m): 8:09am On Jan 17, 2013
The only prob is dat d nite pics were peppered. Plus, d camera must be high def, cos dose pics clean d roads wella.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by ypzilanti: 12:02pm On Jan 17, 2013
Any governor that cannot revamp and beautify the city centre, plant some greenery, have good roads and road signage at city centre and traffic lights, develop a good transport and waste collection system, revamp the public schools and health clinics is a joke. That is the minimum that is enough to keep you busy in first term. Uduaghan and TA Orji hope you guys have seen this. How much is Edo state allocation? The guy is basically taxing the people and using the money well. Oshiomole for President 2015!

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by daroz(m): 3:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
oseiwe: The only prob is dat d nite pics were peppered. Plus, d camera must be high def, cos dose pics clean d roads wella.
Is that all what you have to say? As a matter of fact the op no try at all. Benin city is even far better than what those pictures presented, and you are here complaining that the pics where peppered or sugared/salted

2 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Wadeoye(m): 7:40pm On Jan 17, 2013
Lucky Igbinedon should be hanged...

2 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Oga mr. gullible, let me quickly remind you that Anambra has a better school system,health system,better road network and governance more than Edo. How many industries has your Oshio brought to Edo. He is wasting tax payers money to beautify Benin to please the Omo n' Oba while the rest of the stae rot in neglet. Anambra is relatively a new state still and you lots are not financially better of than us. Everythin Obi has done he did it with Anambra money. NO BORROWING!!!!

See whala ooo.. No be Edo man start this thread oo
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Afam4eva(m): 8:05pm On Jan 17, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Is there always a need to compare Anambra with any state? Why don't you go open your own thread and post pictures of developments of Anambra instead being insecure all the time.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Malawian(m): 8:23pm On Jan 17, 2013
I know it is a federal government road, but until he has dualised that narrow benin-ekpoma-auchi road (the main trunk road linking all 3 senetorial disticts in the state) that guzzles students lives on weekly basis, he has done all of bullshi.t. Btw, edo state does not satrt and end in Bside.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmoTier1(m): 10:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Sorry I have not time for dead brains embarassed
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmoTier1(m): 10:15pm On Jan 17, 2013
Malawian: I know it is a federal government road, but until he has dualised that narrow benin-ekpoma-auchi road (the main trunk road linking all 3 senetorial disticts in the state) that guzzles students lives on weekly basis, he has done all of bullshi.t. Btw, edo state does not satrt and end in Bside.
Dualizing that road would gulp half entire budget of the state for a year! The man is doing alot on roads, the truth be said, from what I saw, He has focused His attention on villages where farmers need to get their farm produce out to the market with ease. The main road leading to Fuga which Ogiadhomeh could not use His influence, first as deputy governor and now as principal secretary to the president, has been fixed by Oshiomhole to a very high standard.

3 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Malawian(m): 3:08am On Jan 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Dualizing that road would gulp half entire budget of the state for a year! The man is doing alot on roads, the truth be said, from what I saw, He has focused His attention on villages where farmers need to get their farm produce out to the market with ease. The main road leading to Fuga which Ogiadhomeh could not use His influence, first as deputy governor and now as principal secretary to the president, has been fixed by Oshiomhole to a very high standard.
dualing that road is something that needds to be done! In fact, a serious minded person will agree that that road even needs to be a 4 lane express way. There are so many ways to raise money for it. He can even toll it or spread the money across four/eight years of budgetary provision. That is a legacy acheivement if done. All other roads he is building will still go bad later.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmoTier1(m): 8:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
Malawian: dualing that road is something that needds to be done! In fact, a serious minded person will agree that that road even needs to be a 4 lane express way. There are so many ways to raise money for it. He can even toll it or spread the money across four/eight years of budgetary provision. That is a legacy acheivement if done. All other roads he is building will still go bad later.
Dude, you have elected or selected members in senate, house of reps and you have the minister of works from Edo State. Go mount pressure on them so that the Lokoja-Abuja dualization to end in Benin.
There are other projects of higher priority needing funding. Many of the villages are now expanding to become towns, yet so many of them do not have standard schools to educate the people to sustain the growth in the villages. That in my view is of higher priority and the governor has done well to focus on that.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by try69: 5:09am On Jan 19, 2013
If only people know what edo was under lucky igbinedion and pdp, they would only be commending oshiomole. I go to edo once in a while and all I can say is that ACN should prepare someone to continue from where oshos would stop and never to allow aneni controlled pdp go near leadership in the state anymore. You need to see even standard primary schools in remote villages. I hope he continues with his good works.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by jayriginal: 11:26am On Jan 19, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

I wouldnt even know where to start from with this.

I served in Anambra State and trust me, Ive been around. On the other hand I schooled in Benin.

See the bolded, its blatant falsehood. If you spent even 6 months in Benin, you wouldnt talk about road network. You wouldnt. As for school, let me remind you again. I served in Anambra State. Do not deceive yourself there. Anambra was extremely short on teachers while I was there and probably still is. How many of the youths really want to go to school ?

It is ok to be proud of your place but not to say things you dont seem to know about.

Finally, I dont know about your health system, my point is that your roads arent better (whether the roads themselves or the network) and your school system is not better. Period.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by jayriginal: 11:35am On Jan 19, 2013
chreld_b: . . . I agree that Oshiomole is doing a great job in Edo state. . .

chreld_b: . . . I am not yet impressed . . . the governor is doing really well . . .

chreld_b:
Kudos to him.

undecided
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Ikengawo: 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
any thread celebrating the success of one state
(Imo, Enugu, Rivers, and now Edo), Anambra people flood and and start trying to fight everyone, but they won't post a single positive image of their own state. You'll just heard how Anambra is Japan and how everyone else is trash. Stop.
If you like Anambra fine, but don't use it to start fights, go and celebrate Anambra properly, don't use your state to sooth your low self esteem.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Mavor: 6:35pm On Jan 20, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

True talk. Most Nigerian leaders including are all about beautification. A true leader thinks long-term things that will take his area of charge to the next level. Kudos to Oshio sha, but he should be doing more to make sure industries are being set up here. A lot of Edo sons and daughters are doing well in Lagos, Abuja and abroad. Try to make them come and invest in their home place. That will be a good start. Or build a solid railway system (both passenger and cargo) between connecting Lagos to the East and Calabar.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by skillmachine: 6:04am On Mar 30, 2013
More on Edo State Roads:

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 30, 2013
Oba gha tor kpere to my Benin peeps...

The funniest naija mandem ever!!!

And megho to my Urhobo peeps as well!!

Osologbue!! wink

Btw, nice pix!! tongue
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Hemanwel(m): 1:11pm On Mar 30, 2013
Na the Benin wey me know like d bck of my palms b dis??
Abegiii!!
Re: Benin City Reborn! by thelastPope(m): 1:18pm On Mar 30, 2013
Why bring back such an old thread and put it on the front page?
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Costa2000(m): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2013
Nice pics.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Popowaa: 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2013
Wow
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 30, 2013
asha 80:

in nigeria people move to where they make money and not where it is clean.
KINDLY TELL US YOUR POINT AND HOW IT RELATES TO WHAT THE OP IS PUTTING ACCROSS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Musa Gowon Debuts New Look + Meet His Mother! / Dele Giwa: 32 Years After His Death By Letter Bomb (Photos) / Christopher Orji Commits Suicide After EFCC Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.