Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,721 members, 7,837,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Benin City Reborn! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin City Reborn! (41995 Views)

Biafra A Nation About To Be Reborn / Is Sincere9igerian Beaf Reborn? / Colonialism Is Reborn! Pentagon Carves Africa Into Military Zones! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin City Reborn! by qhiwegh(m): 1:51am On Mar 31, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Well I'm not saying that you don't know who your father really is - at least not right now. I'm just saying that both of those places (Kwara state and Republic of Benin) are multi-ethnic and assimilation went on to some degree, so you might not as "Yoruba" as you really think you are, and in fact, you might not be Yoruba at all, but instead mostly just some Hausa-Fulani-Fon-Ewe-Adja mix of unknown provenance.

Just some food for thought.

Even if I am not of pure Yoruba ancestry (God forbid), the fact that my entire extended family speak Yoruba as their first language and identify exclusively as Yorubas and not any other ethnic groups is good enough for me.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by PhysicsQED(m): 1:59am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

Even if I am not of pure Yoruba ancestry (God forbid), the fact that my entire extended family speak Yoruba as their first language and identify exclusively as Yorubas and not any other ethnic groups is good enough for me.

But, basically, when it comes down to it, you're not really sure who your father is and you might be living a lie.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by PhysicsQED(m): 2:08am On Mar 31, 2013
PapaBrowne:
Intelligent Punch. Nice pointer!!

1000 likes!!

Thanks.

In one post he says its a joke, then in the very next post he reveals that one of his grandparents is from the country whose former president came to Benin decades ago to ask if they could change the name of their country from Dahomey to what it is now. undecided
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 31, 2013

That's a Damn Nice Photo Right There......

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by qhiwegh(m): 2:12am On Mar 31, 2013
PhysicsQED:

But, basically, when it comes down to it, you're not really sure who your father is and you might be living a lie.

Not everyone's mom sleeps around like yours. I'm reasonably certain of my father's identity.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 2:14am On Mar 31, 2013
What the Hell....
Re: Benin City Reborn! by PhysicsQED(m): 2:16am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:
I'm reasonably certain of my father's identity.

lol @ "reasonably certain"

I think that's a euphemism for "I have no real clue."

Anyway it's no big deal to me. I just thought maybe you should get your real heritage straightened out before commenting on that of other people.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmniSparrow: 2:26am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

What a lost soul. And u are actually here? Pls leave here and go and know where u are from. Senseless guinea fowl
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmniSparrow: 2:29am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

Does it matter? They're Yorubas. I was born in Lagos to Yoruba-speaking parents. So, I'm a Lagos indigene.
What a pity. U don't know where u are coming from or going to. Anoda waste
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmniSparrow: 2:31am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

Is your head okay? Republic of Benin has nothing to do with Edo state. It's a part of Yorubaland.
Hahahaha. Benin republic is a part of yoruba land? U should be in a circus. Or a zoo
Re: Benin City Reborn! by qhiwegh(m): 2:40am On Mar 31, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Anyway it's no big deal to me. I just thought maybe you should get your real heritage straightened out before commenting on that of other people.

By "reasonably certain" I mean unless I've had a DNA test, I can't be completely certain, but I'm certain up to that point.

You know, just because your mom sells herself around the neighbourhood, and as a result you don't know who your father is, doesn't mean it's the same with everyone else.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 2:41am On Mar 31, 2013
Viva Benin

Ya gotta admit, these are some great photos

What is with the guy who uploaded the pictures of the Two Babi Boys And Their Nakkedd Bottoms Though

Strange.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by qhiwegh(m): 2:43am On Mar 31, 2013
Omni_Sparrow:
Hahahaha. Benin republic is a part of yoruba land? U should be in a circus. Or a zoo

What a pity. U don't know where u are coming from or going to. Anoda waste

What a lost soul. And u are actually here? Pls leave here and go and know where u are from. Senseless guinea fowl

I'm actually where?

Why is it so important to know exactly which village and which hut my great-great-grandparents came from?

My state of origin is officially Lagos, so that's more than most of you can say.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by OmniSparrow: 2:48am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

I'm actually where?

Why is it so important to know exactly which village and which hut my great-great-grandparents came from?

My state of origin is officially Lagos, so that's more than most of you can say.
My advice 2 u is 2 speak with respect 2 everyone here. Since u are not sure of ur father, it could be any of us here. What's ur mom's name?

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 2:51am On Mar 31, 2013
These Post on this Page Are Crazy LmL....... grin
Re: Benin City Reborn! by PhysicsQED(m): 3:04am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh:

By "reasonably certain" I mean unless I've had a DNA test, I can't be completely certain, but I'm certain up to that point.

You know, just because your mom sells herself around the neighbourhood, and as a result you don't know who your father is, doesn't mean it's the same with everyone else.

It's funny that you felt the need to define to me what you meant by the phrase "reasonably certain" when it should have been obvious that my comment was mockery.

As for the dumb mom jokes, my comments weren't about your mom, whether or not your mother was promiscuous, or about you being a bastard who doesn't know his father, although I see how you could read it that way, since you might have a guilty conscience about actually being a bastard.

I was mocking the fact that someone who literally has no clue about where exactly his recent ancestors are from is making it a point to display as much ethnic chauvinism and ethnic bias as possible in a thread which is about something entirely different.

Now, you previously didn't know the Republic of Benin was not "part of Yorubaland" but rather that it's only the case that part of Yorubaland is part of the Republic of Benin.

You didn't and still don't know where exactly your recent ancestors are from in Kwara and the Republic of Benin.

And it also seems that you didn't know that your own people (supposedly), the Yoruba, also frequently use the term "kingdom" to refer to areas under the cultural purview of the traditional monarchs in their land.

What else don't you know that you'd like help with?

Or better yet, do you actually know anything? I wouldn't want to waste any more of my time on somebody who is just clueless about everything.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by nduchucks: 3:15am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh: Is this the same civilised Benin City that saw the entire Muslim quarter burned down, where homes, businesses, and houses of worship were burnt with people still in them? Civilised my black a5$!

The accusation in red above is quite serious and if true, the act could only have been carried out by barbaric monsters. However, I wouldn't go as far as generalizing that Binis are monsters.

Is this accusation true?

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by PhysicsQED(m): 3:25am On Mar 31, 2013
ndu_chucks:

The accusation in red above is quite serious and if true, the act could only have been carried out by barbaric monsters. However, I wouldn't go as far as generalizing that Binis are monsters.

Is this accusation true?

Conflicting reports:

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/79399/1/irate-youths-invade-hausa-quarters-in-benin-city.html

https://www.nairaland.com/842223/mosque-burnt-hausa-quarters-benin

https://www.nairaland.com/846273/hoodlums-kill-400-cows-during

But the Hausa in Benin don't seem to have problems in general:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201302100223.html?viewall=1
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 3:26am On Mar 31, 2013
^^^^The guy is Omonnakoda, he's a troll... grin
Re: Benin City Reborn! by asog: 4:24am On Mar 31, 2013
I live in benin and I ll boldly say dat d pix is very deceptive, its focusing only on gud roads around ring road. Yes I admit dat oshiomole is doing well considering d fact dat d state was buried alive by igbenedion, but some times I do wonder if he(oshiomole) knws what development really means. The only livable place in benin is jst d GRA which has very bad roads, d gra is d only place u ll see recent houses. Other areas are filled with dead houses with 17th century zincs--- so so acient. If u'r someone dat likes fun, don't bother coming to benin cos u ll be bored to death. D only form of fun there is jst loocal joints and bars in hotel, no cinemas, no mall(only 1 hallmark which is lk any oda super mkt). Oshiomole has used taxes to pursue big industries dat has come to add live into d town. The beauty of a town does'nt lie on only gud roads, benin needs to borrow fashola's style and destroy most of the 15th century houses dat filled d town so dat wen one is passing on the road, u ll aprreciate the site.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by ezotik: 5:29am On Mar 31, 2013
anybody that says GRA is the only livable place in Benin is clueless. most of what you call GRA today are not part of the original GRA but areas that expanded into GRA.

Ugbor was not part of GRA in those days but expanded and became part of GRA. Parts of Sapele Road and environs are very okay and fast becoming the new GRA. Ikpoba Hill is very okay. Ekewan and environs with Ugbowo and environs are very okay because of the university - UNIBEN.

Mission Road, Akpakpava, Sakponba, MM WAY, 1st and 2nd east circular are all livable and the roads are good. And Nepa is way better in Benin compared to other parts of Nigeria that I have lived in, plus the mosquitoes in Bengazzi are not ferocious.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by ezotik: 5:32am On Mar 31, 2013
oh, and even if there are old houses in old areas of Benin, I do not subscribe to destroying the houses because they are part of the history of the city. If the roof is what is bothering you, change it. Look at what West Idahosa did to his father’s house at Mission Rd, he changed the roof to modern ones but kept the structure of the house and the house is there looking beautiful. Take a cue from him.

and there used to the Cinemas in Benin when the ecomony of Nigeria was good. Saidi Centre was there at MM Way and Ebony Cinemas was there at Ikpoba slope but they died when the economy of Nigeria died, and as Nigeria’s economy revives, those things will gradually come back. Hell, it was Ben Bruce that recently revived Cinemas in Nigeria with SilverBird in Lagos and there are talks of SilverBird Cinema coming soon to Benin

btw, most of the pics are old and ive seen them like 2 years ago

1 Like

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Solozzo(m): 5:40am On Mar 31, 2013
These are just showpieces. The suburbs are full of rotten roads, eroded terrains and collapsed roads. No public water supply. People trading in roads and no enough markets. Very high crime rate, , okadamen are a menace and transport control officials are thugs who tow away and damage vehicles for minor offences like wrong parking while a danfo drivers deliberately obstruct traffic. Local govt analysed by the governor.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by ezotik: 5:51am On Mar 31, 2013
kidnapping is the only thing i will not give Benin a pass for. every other thing dey kamkpe. at least, in Nigerian terms.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City Reborn! by Solozzo(m): 6:03am On Mar 31, 2013
PhysicsQED:

My friend use words that heal not wound!!
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Solozzo(m): 6:45am On Mar 31, 2013
daroz:
Is that all what you have to say? As a matter of fact the op no try at all. Benin city is even far better than what those pictures presented, and you are here complaining that the pics where peppered or sugared/salted

I wonder if you live in Benin currently? If u do you would not say this.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by ezotik: 6:54am On Mar 31, 2013
Solozzo:

I wonder if you live in Benin currently? If u do you would not say this.

so how are we sure u currently live in Benin? becos u made negative comments?
Re: Benin City Reborn! by stpat1(m): 7:20am On Mar 31, 2013
asha 80:

in nigeria people move to where they make money and not where it is clean.

Most people that work on a 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off shift work is delta or Ph and live in Benin.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 31, 2013
Osho baba for 3rd term... period.
Re: Benin City Reborn! by bestview: 8:13am On Mar 31, 2013
asog: I live in benin and I ll boldly say dat d pix is very deceptive, its focusing only on gud roads around ring road. Yes I admit dat oshiomole is doing well considering d fact dat d state was buried alive by igbenedion, but some times I do wonder if he(oshiomole) knws what development really means. The only livable place in benin is jst d GRA which has very bad roads, d gra is d only place u ll see recent houses. Other areas are filled with dead houses with 17th century zincs--- so so acient. If u'r someone dat likes fun, don't bother coming to benin cos u ll be bored to death. D only form of fun there is jst loocal joints and bars in hotel, no cinemas, no mall(only 1 hallmark which is lk any oda super mkt). Oshiomole has used taxes to pursue big industries dat has come to add live into d town. The beauty of a town does'nt lie on only gud roads, benin needs to borrow fashola's style and destroy most of the 15th century houses dat filled d town so dat wen one is passing on the road, u ll aprreciate the site.

This is best post that really depicted Benin as it is.
Its quite unlivable place with network of bad roads and ancient houses. The state should take cue from the type of modern highrise houses in Fegge or the low density Omagba estate all in Onitsha
Re: Benin City Reborn! by bestview: 8:29am On Mar 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is there always a need to compare Anambra with any state? Why don't you go open your own thread and post pictures of developments of Anambra instead being insecure all the time.

Stop this madness of yours and wawalistic attitude. Did you not see tha ediot who first drew Anambra into this? Check the first page and you will see that bastard that first started the comparison. The thread is discussing the mirage going on in edo while somebody started m@sturbat!ng with Peter Obi's performance. What prompted him in the first instance to draw Anambra into his mess and the charade and the fraud going on in edo ?
Re: Benin City Reborn! by ezotik: 8:43am On Mar 31, 2013
bestview:

This is best post that really depicted Benin as it is.
Its quite unlivable place with network of bad roads and ancient houses. The state should take cue from the type of modern highrise houses in Fegge or the low density Omagba estate all in Onitsha

take a cue from the same ancient zinc that was used in the 17th cent in Benin? lol, at least Benin used it in the 17th cent but it seem some people just caught on to it.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/675048_Onitsha_aerialview_jpg94a71239e43f59b52a79a21667e987d4

and a three storey building is not a highrise my dear, so pls come again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Musa Gowon Debuts New Look + Meet His Mother! / Dele Giwa: 32 Years After His Death By Letter Bomb (Photos) / Christopher Orji Commits Suicide After EFCC Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.