Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] (34420 Views)

VP Osinbajo Visits Fashola In His Lagos Home (Photos) / Breaking!!!!! Apc Candidate Akinwunmi Ambode Visits Fashola / Bill Gates Visits Fashola. PICS.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by lumeneng22: 7:22pm On Jan 22, 2013
Make una tell am to helep us talk to paypal too to try visit us one day.
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:22pm On Jan 22, 2013
aribisala0:
Guy why must you talk ignorantly. Do you understand the difference between Formal and Professional. Fashola is a lawyer by profession. Surely you are not suggesting that at any formal occasion he dresses in Wig and Gown to be "professional". I know even you are not that dense.

So let us leave Professional dress as that will apply to fellow professional in an industry or field of work. In government especially international interfaces such as this the issue is whether it is a formal meeting or not. In Western dress formality is always signified by a tie. In Yoruba culture by a hat. You would not enter the presence of a king or other formal occasion hatless.The fact that Fashola did not wear a hat suggests HE considered the occasion informal.His guest may have dressed formally for one of many reasons which I don't care to speculate about.

If you work in a western company/multinational or other organization with a shirt and tie culture then you must conform but that should not make you change your consciousness. I know you cannot understand because you are NOT Yoruba. We who are are quite proud of it and not in a hurry to become Oyinbo clones

My goodness, are you guys really shallow? Who talked about profession here? Do you have to be a lawyer or doctor to attend occasions that require such?

I've always cautiously stated that "DIFFERENT EVENTS/MEETINGS CALLS FOR DIFFERENT ATTIRE", what has this go to do with someone's profession?

You know what, this conversation is just headed down the drain. I cannot drum it enough nor beat it enough into someone's head. It is what it is brother, whether formal or not, professional, casual, cultural, classic or contemporary, my stand is my stand.

Different occasion calls an its appropriate attire... PERIOD

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 22, 2013
dayokanu: Obasanjo with Laura Bush

Looking like a python propped up on a chair
grin

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Oluwaadajo(m): 7:26pm On Jan 22, 2013
crackhaus: This message goes out to HOLLANDIS & Co.(You know yourself), why are you on this forum if you find your motherland & its people sickening? You have left the only country on earth that will accept you for you to be a 2nd class citizen in another country(mind you, there's no way on earth you'll ever be considered a 1st class citizen in your country of residence as long as your skin tone remains negro). Why do you feel the need to elevate yourself by calling africans/nigerians names? Is it that you suffer from so much low self-esteem? Yes, we got issues as a country but people like you should stay out of it if you're so angered and bitter about it. Please tell me the picture on your profile is not you cos if it is, I am sorely disappointed in you for your vile tongue and bad attitude. If the picture isn't really you, then I guess I'm right that you do suffer from low self-esteem...

Your name should be crackhead! grin

Intolerance is a prevalent disease on NL .

This is an international forum. Let people express themselves freely within reason.

Differences in opinion is what makes NL interesting. Lets enjoy it and not take comments personally.

(exceptions: this does not include the use of bad and gutter language)

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 22, 2013
Oluwaadajo:

My thinking too. He looked like the office messenger!

At least someone else saw my point
This is nothing tribal
He looked odd
There is a time and a place for everything

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 22, 2013
Everybody is thinking west knowing fully well that the east is a problematic zone.sure schmidt won't want to be kidnapped. lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by ypzilanti: 7:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life: All of you guys talking,

When you went for your first, second or third job interviews, how many of you wore African Attire? This is for those in Nigeria?

For those in Small business, when you went to an investors meeting seeking fund money, how many of you wore our beloved attire?

Why yall graduated from college, how many of yall work our African print?

A suit is a 'business attire' by virtue of western domination of the world. Even in Japan, when going for a business meeting you wear a suit. But in diplomatic circles, heads of state and chief executives usually prefer to promote their respective cultures during these state visits. They are making a statement for people like you who don't get the whole anti-imperialistic thing. It is the same reason why many heads of state like Putin and Sarkozy (before defeat) speak in native language at interviews even though they understand English perfectly.

Also, many people who have achieved greatness (especially africans and asians) make it a point to wear the native attire because they know they are role models to the youth of their home country. They are trying to encourage them to have pride in their native things... Apparently, they are not succeeding with you.

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
aribisala0: Wole Soyinka

Chinua Achebe

Nelson Mandela

Ojukwu

would know a thing or two about HIGH PROFILE>

They also like AFRICAN DRESS

Photo of Soyinka with other Nobel Laureates ,a HIGH PROFILE gathering in my view.
Please publish any photos of Achebe or Soyinka wearing a suit and tie if you have any

Soyinka is wearing a solid all blue color that could pass
He knows his occasion,he is well dressed for it
Big difference between him and what Fashola wore

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by positivemind: 7:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
dayokanu: Tells the whole story Names of Governors

No be today inferiority complex start some go by their colonial masters name others are proud of their native names

[size=18pt]SULLIVAN Chime, ROCHAS Okorocha, THEODORE Orji, PETER Obi, MARTIN Elechi

vs

BABATUNDE Fashola, IBIKUNLE Amosun, ABIOLA Ajimobi, KAYODE Fayemi, OLUSEGUN Mimiko[/size]
My broda those eastern governors catch u,ur own don finish.lol
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life: All of you guys talking,

When you went for your first, second or third job interviews, how many of you wore African Attire? This is for those in Nigeria?

For those in Small business, when you went to an investors meeting seeking fund money, how many of you wore our beloved attire?

Why yall graduated from college, how many of yall work our African print?

Gbam!
That is why they keep asking for prayers to land a job
They will go there decked out in babariga hoping to get a job

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by TRUTHTELA: 7:31pm On Jan 22, 2013
Wats wit all the crappy talk here? Google boss av been visiting all the BACKWARD 3rd world countries. He just came from North Korea and stopped over in Nigeria. All these noise abt Fashola's dressing can only be an issue to someone wit a very LOW SELF ESTEEM. Again, Nigerians should stop hyping the country unnecessairly, NIGERIA IS NOT A FACTOR IN THE 21 CENTURY I.T age. Nigeria is known for TERRORISM & CORRUPTION. Don't make a big deal out of this visit. You dnt even have ELECTRICITY & a very vey SMALL percentage of your population have access to the INTERNET. FYI, most of ur internet users rely on BLACKBERRY, an OBSELETE toll in DEVELOPED COUNTRIES. A lot of internet websites have BLOCKED Nigerian users. Nigerian credit cards are not accepted. So what? To the BIGOTS, the outside world doesn't know Sout East, SouthWest, South-South and North, all they know is NIGERIA, meaning, Y'ALL ARE IN IT TOGETHER, quit tribalism, the looters of ur treasury dont know tribe, e.g Obj and the Uba brothers (igbo &yourba). Little minds shld get a life.

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by aribisala0(m): 7:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life:

My goodness, are you guys really shallow? Who talked about profession here? Do you have to be a lawyer or doctor to attend occasions that require such?

I've always cautiously stated that "DIFFERENT EVENTS/MEETINGS CALLS FOR DIFFERENT ATTIRE", what has this go to do with someone's profession?

You know what, this conversation is just headed down the drain. I cannot drum it enough nor beat it enough into someone's head. It is what it is brother, whether formal or not, professional, casual, cultural, classic or contemporary, my stand is my stand.

Different occasion calls an its appropriate attire... PERIOD
YOU used the word professional and we are talking ,NOT IN AN ABSTRACT VACUUM, but in the context of Fashola. Why did you slavishly interject the idea of Job interviews to the discussion of what relevance is it to what Fashola wore and how else can it be interpreted if not as colonial mentality or that you are not following the discussion here
. You also use the word "cultural" which I guess is a substitute for "ethnic" meaning anything NOT Oyinbo. I am sympathetic to your plight . "CULTURAL" . I laugh in AMERICAN
A meeting call for an attire dictated by an employer whois paying me otherwise if we are meeting as equals I do not have to wear ANY Oyinbo clothes. No ifs or buts. There is enough range in Yoruba fashion for ANY occasion. If you have lacunae in you culture thatis YOUR problem not YORUBAS'
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
ypzilanti:

A suit is a 'business attire' by virtue of western domination of the world. Even in Japan, when going for a business meeting you wear a suit. But in diplomatic circles, heads of state and chief executives usually prefer to promote their respective cultures during these state visits. They are making a statement for people like you who don't get the whole anti-imperialistic thing. It is the same reason why many heads of state like Putin and Sarkozy (before defeat) speak in native language at interviews even though they understand English perfectly.

Also, many people who have achieved greatness (especially africans and asians) make it a point to wear the native attire because they know they are role models to the youth of their home country. They are trying to encourage them to have pride in their native things... Apparently, they are not succeeding with you.

Apparently, you haven't been getting my point, that is why I stated to Aribasala0 about Madam NOI who wears African attire at the WBG. It's a diverse environment, hence why it's called WORLD BANK GROUP.

Like I stated, different occasion calls for different attires, when attending diplomatic circles, that's not a professional enviroment but a cultural one, so common sense should dictate otherwise, like duhhhhhh, isn't that what I've been trying to drive into you people's head for a min, but I stated, professional environment, NOT cultural, nor casual, nor what have you should be adorned appropriately. Obviously, folks like you don't know what calls for which occasion.

If Obama invites you for a states dinner, is that a professional occasion, NO. However, if you're a consultant and Obama invites you to his office, is that a professional meeting, YES... Get the idea?
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
hollandis: and this is supposed to be a front page news...Nigeria is crap .If google chairman or whatever comes to my street .Who would give a shyte about him.Nigeria is really backward ,,just look at the replies here OMG plus SMH

Where is ur street and who knows you there. Btw are you more prominent than google chairman

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by GooseBaba: 7:37pm On Jan 22, 2013
Akainzo:

Hmmmm, when you are rich, then you would learn the finer points of that "dress sense"! Schmidt wore a blazer not a suit, therefore it doesn't have to be colour matched with his pants.
What has dress sense got to do with keeping up with the joneses...so one has to be rich to learn finer points of dress sense..?

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by ypzilanti: 7:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
dayokanu: Tells the whole story Names of Governors

No be today inferiority complex start some go by their colonial masters name others are proud of their native names

[size=18pt]SULLIVAN Chime, ROCHAS Okorocha, THEODORE Orji, PETER Obi, MARTIN Elechi

vs

BABATUNDE Fashola, IBIKUNLE Amosun, ABIOLA Ajimobi, KAYODE Fayemi, OLUSEGUN Mimiko[/size]

Must everything be a tribal issue to you? Seriously, grow up. I'm Igbo and my father made it a point not to give any of his children an English name. That was his choice, and the philosophy he chose to pass to his children. Herbert Macaulay had two English names- A Yoruba man who fought for Nigeria's independence. There is nothing wrong in having an English name. If you are an African that is mentally enslaved to believe that all things African are inferior, then you should go listen to Bob Marley redemption son verse two; Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
aribisala0:
You used the word professional and we are talking ,NOT IN AN ABSTRACT VACUUM, but in the context of Fashola. You also use the word "cultural" which I guess is a substitute for "ethnic" meaning anything NOT Oyinbo.
A meeting call for an attire dictated by an employer whois paying me otherwise if we are meeting as equals I do not have to wear ANY Oyinbo clothes. No ifs or buts. There is enough range in Yoruba fashion for ANY occasion. If you have lacunae in you culture thatis YOUR problem not YORUBAS'

Professional is not absolute my brother but relative depending on what the context is. In this case, fashola meeting wasn't a professional one, which I stated, even the article clearly stated "courtesy visit" which is casual visit.

Well culture is what it is, nothing else.

Well its up to you, how you choose to dress is your problem and not mine, how Fashola chooses to dress is his problem and not mine. I just hoped Fashola should have dressed in his nice attire when he when international finance shopping, I mean, that will make him be in line of yoruba fashion, better yet, the attire he wore at BET's award, should have been Yoruba dashiki... grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Akainzo(m): 7:41pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life:

Apparently, you haven't been getting my point, that is why I stated to Aribasala0 about Madam NOI who wears African attire at the WBG. It's a diverse environment, hence why it's called WORLD BANK GROUP.

Like I stated, different occasion calls for different attires, when attending diplomatic circles, that's not a professional enviroment but a cultural one, so common sense should dictate otherwise, like duhhhhhh, isn't that what I've been trying to drive into you people's head for a min, but I stated, professional environment, NOT cultural, nor casual, nor what have you should be adorned appropriately. Obviously, folks like you don't know what calls for which occasion.

If Obama invites you for a states dinner, is that a professional occasion, NO. However, if you're a consultant and Obama invites you to his office, is that a professional meeting, YES... Get the idea?

Did you skip that part where the report stated that it was a Courtesy Visit TO Fashola! Since it is a courtesy visit, does it require that he, Fashola, be professionally dressed?
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 22, 2013
[size=18pt]Why do you wear suits to job interviews even in Naija
Is it because you hate your culture or because suit is the appropriate dressing there
Same thing here
Our leaders should learn to dress for their occasions
Simple[/size]

cool

Nowadays even the trado female clothing are made to look like formal euro wear
Why?
They look trendy and appropriate
No one wears asho oke for a job interview is it because they hate Asho oke
All this Lilliputian reasoning folks

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by aribisala0(m): 7:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life:

You are just casting about. Those edicts would apply if you are AMERICAN.
What if Goodluck Jonathan invites a Consultant to ASO ROCK what would be a professional dress code What you expose is your thinking of Americans or the White Man as some kind of Fashion Moses that climbed a mountain to receive Ten Commandments of Dressing. Well We the Yorubas have made our Golden Calf and are Dancing

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
Akainzo:

Did you skip that part where the report stated that it was a Courtesy Visit TO Fashola! Since it is a courtesy visit, does it require that he, Fashola, be professionally dressed?

My friend, STOP quoting me if you haven't been through my post.

If my first three posts on this thread did not clarify things for you, that isn't my fault. My advice, go back and find out how I got entangled with this mess of attire or not.

2 Likes

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life:

Have you really get out of your thin world to the middle east especially Abu Dhabi,Dubai or Qatar cuz it seems you aren't convincing me with your spurious claims here.Those folks don't give a fu'c'k about suits either in diplomatic or professional settings.they stick to their cultural attires at all levels.
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Afam4eva(m): 7:45pm On Jan 22, 2013
Is there anywhere in the bible where it's written that suits should be worn for official occasions?

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
aribisala0:
You are just casting about. Those edicts would apply if you are AMERICAN.
What if Goodluck Jonathan invites a Consultant to ASO ROCK what would be a professional dress code What you expose is your thinking of Americans ad some kind of Fashion Moses that climbed a mountain to receive Ten Commandments of Dressing. Well We the Yorubas have made our Golden Calf and are Dancing

Ok o, like I said, Fashola should have worn his Yoruba Dashiki when he went for the BET's awards as Africa's governor or something, you're good at pulling pictures, pull that one up. If I'm wrong, I'll take it back. Also, when he sought financial loans and went shopping, he should have worn his agbada na, no shaking ... nsogbu a diro... grin grin grin

I just wish he keeps it up indeed, I mean he's part of the Yoruba who have made a golden calf and dancing around it.
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Akainzo(m): 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
manny4life:

My friend, STOP quoting me if you haven't been through my post.

If my first three posts on this thread did not clarify things for you, that isn't my fault. My advice, go back and find out how I got entangled with this mess of attire or not.

Then quit yapping about dress sense with everybody! If you agree that the dress is appropriate given that it is a courtesy visit, what then is the hullaballoo about??
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by aribisala0(m): 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Have you really get out of your thin world to the middle east especially Abu Dhabi,Dubai or Qatar cuz it seems you aren't convincing me with your spurious claims here.Those folks don't give a fu'c'k about suits either in diplomatic or professional settings.they stick to their cultural attires at all levels.
Leave the joker. Colonial Mentality is messing with his head.Tell me how you work in Qatar or Maiduguri or Dubai when it is 40 degrees wearing a suit and rope on your neck.
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
I wonder why every thing that's supposed to be good turn to mush on NL, thanks for he comic relief at least

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:47pm On Jan 22, 2013
~Bluetooth:

You called it Middle east abi? Did you say London or NY?

I made a comment on that, so go back and read it again ... THANK YOU grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
All these parachute wearing african leaders they say
Someone is talking about Arabs here
Are Arabs our standard?
Why not Japanese or Chinese or Korean or Swedish
Even Ghanaian leaders and Zambians looks sharply dressed,GEJ will go there wearing maternity
It is bad enough that our place is wor wor with corruption galore then you attend an international meeting wrapped in a bed sheet too or looking out of place
Nonsense

Look at that OBJs picture in England
He looks like a ridiculous costume wearing spectacle,truth be told
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by manny4life(m): 7:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
Akainzo:

Then quit yapping about dress sense with everybody! If you agree that the dress is appropriate given that it is a courtesy visit, what then is the hullaballoo about??

My friend, I have no time for you, but welcome to the party though grin grin grin grin
Re: Eric Schmidt Visits Fashola in Lagos [Pictures] by Afam4eva(m): 7:49pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi: All these parachute wearing african leaders they say
Someone is talking about Arabs
Are Arabs our standard?
It is bad enough that our place is wor wor with corruption galore then you attend an international meeting wrapped in a bed sheet too
Nonsense
Americans and europeans are also not our standard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

"Abacha Never Stole" Says Buhari As Published 2008 By Thisday Newspaper / Boko Haram: Army Chief Renames Operation In Maiduguri / Ibe Kachikwu: Why My Jaguar Car Was Impounded In The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.