Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,476 members, 7,830,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (48411 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Tithes And Offerings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Yooguyz: 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2013
sharababa curacura killi messiah killi jah *speaking in tongues* the lord is telling me to command all nairalanders to tithe 20percent of their income to me if they want to prosper..*yes sharababa kura kura*
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2013
Bidam: GOOD QUESTION..this is what paul wrote"If we sowed spiritual things in you, is it too much if we should reap material
things from you?" (1 Corinthians 9:11, NASB).

Acts 20:34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions.

1 Corinthians 4:12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it;

Acts 18:3 and because he ( Paul ) was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them.

The Body of Christ is not a Welfare State for Lazy people especially false prophets.

3 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 03, 2013
Oahray: lmao grin This lady is funny. Start by looking for answers from the Bible by YOURSELF. You'd be shocked how much lies some churches teach.

I started knowing GOD better and understanding the Bible when I started reading it for myself and discarding a lot of falsehoods I learnt over a decade.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 03, 2013
touchmeder: Its slightly amazing how folks come on here and say op and others are leading people to hell and they will be cursed blablabla. Most of these individuals are speaking based on what they have been fed for lord knows how long. Most of you, yes most of you are just playing sentiments and not quoting scriptures to back your point. These guys are replying you with the same scriptures (the word of God) and all i see is more accusation about end time things and punishment. Lord have mercy smiley cheesy grin grin cheesy smiley grin grin cheesy smiley grin
Ask yourself when has tithe become a burden? Is it not men that formulate these things? God by his very nature is not one to put his children under bondage. Give this or that lest the devourer eats what you have worked for. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
In all lets not forget to give, God's word teaches that and there is no doubt about it. Its more blessed to give however let no man lay a compulsory burden on you all in the name of tithe.
it might be a burden to you..but it is NEVER a burden to me i make bold to say with all humilIty and sincerity that i give my tithes to JESUS and i ALSO DO CHARITY DEEDS to those in NEED in the church..giving is by grace not by compulsion..no one will put a gun to your head if you don't give..is it not funny that God hAS AMAZING WAYS OF PROVIDING FOR HIS CHURCH EVEN IF BELIEVERS DON'T RESPOND WHEN THERE IS A CALL TO GIVE IN CHURCH?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Oahray: 6:51pm On Mar 03, 2013
Miss Ope: - shouldn't we give our pastors money knowing fully well dat dey don't av other sources of income and dey av bills to pay?....
Being a pastor is not a job in which you expect to be paid. The Apostle Paul worked to sustain himself so he would not be a burden to others. That said, it is good to support a person doing the work of God full time, but in line with the New Testament's principle of cheerful giving.

Bringing tithing into the pic and threatening people with punishment from God or a ceasation of blessing is just a devilish attempt at defrauding honest hearted people. No where in the Bible were Christians required to pay tithes.

5 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 03, 2013
frosbel2:

Acts 20:34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions.

1 Corinthians 4:12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it;

Acts 18:3 and because he ( Paul ) was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them.

The Body of Christ is not a Welfare State for Lazy people especially false prophets.
@ the emboldened does not negate the fact that there are no genuine ones either.Some people claim that Paul does not ask for money to support his ministry, and that he
even teaches against it. But this is a gross distortion of Scripture. Although Paul
sometimes works to support himself, this is because he does not want to negatively affect
how the gospel would be received by those who have never heard. He writes, "If others
have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use
this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of
Christ" (1 Corinthians 9:12, NIV). On other occasions, he does accept financial support
from Christians (Philippians 4:15-16).
Paul certainly does not teach that Christians should withhold support from their ministers
and churches. Instead, he explicitly teaches that ministry work itself deserves full wages,
that ministers should not have to find work outside of their ministries, and that Christians
must provide them with full financial support:
[b]Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living? Who
serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and
does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of
the milk? Do I say this merely from a human point of view?
Doesn't the Law say the same thing? For it is written in the Law of
Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is
it about oxen that God is concerned? Surely he says this for us,
doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the
plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in
the hope of sharing in the harvest. If we have sown spiritual seed
among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from
you?…Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their
food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in
what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has
commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their
living from the gospel. (v. 6-11, 13-14; NIV)[/b]
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Reptyle(m): 7:09pm On Mar 03, 2013
This is such an academic argument with both the pro and anti tithe Christians focusing solely on winning an argument on Nairaland. If you think tithing is wrong, what makes you think your puerile arguments and your claim to superior knowledge of the words of Christ can stop a trend that has spanned the ages since the beginning of Christianity? I mean, if I am a tithe payer, am I supposed to stop paying now just because a few people on Nairaland quote scriptures and try to foist their largely academic understanding on me? Where then lies my faith and belief in the holy spirit?

And to you pro tithe paying Christian, where is it written in your Bible that you should contend with people who do not believe in your principles? Did Jesus contend with the Pharisees who obviously had their own knowledge of the laws of Moses and chose to hold on firmly to it? Did he not always tell them that he had not come in opposition to the law but rather to fulfill it? Does that kind of a man strike you like someone who would hold this kind of silly argument like y'all are having here on Nairaland.

Both sides are presenting points and ascribing interpretations to the same verses of scripture as they deem fit...you are winning arguments and throwing barbs and jibes at each other with some even laying claim to some divine assignment to put tithe collecting pastors "out of business." in the midst of all this, you expose the faith to ridicule yet we expect non believers to take us serious when we go ministering to them and asking them to accept Christ?

Let us live our lives like Christ lived and eschew this kind of discussions that serve no other purpose but further divide the body of Christ. Pay tithes if it is convenient for you and in line with your beliefs...with hold your tithes or decide to share it to the widows and orphans if you so choose. If God has a need, he will raise one to meet it. The church of Christ will continue to march on and the gates of hell shall not prevail.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Originalsly: 7:12pm On Mar 03, 2013
To the tithe defenders...do pastors pay tithes? If yes...what have they produced to set aside 10%? If paid were you ever told how much they make?... and what they claim to make is it enough to support their lifestyle? ...or that is not your business nor my business? If not our business then why is it his business to find out how much we make? Don't pretend as though you didn't read this...show me the light.

1 Like

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Oahray: 7:24pm On Mar 03, 2013
One thing we should know, the command God gives his people are for their own good. Understanding the principles behind those laws would better help us to do what is right. What was the principle behind the Mosaic law?

Jesus summed up the Law and the Prophets as love -for God and for neighbour (Matt 22:34-40). God does not need our money to buy anything, but humans do. Aspects of the law code given to the Israelites such as tithing and gleaning was to instill in them a spirit of generosity.

The levitical priesthood did not plant or harvest because they were dedicated to working in the temple, offering sacrifices in behalf of the people. Tithing was to help the Jews cultivate a spirit of sharing (yes, they could eat from it too, as seen in Deut 14:22,23) with the Levites, the widows and the orphans (Deut 14:28,29). God's blessing was merely an addition and not the reason for the law.

With the eternal sacrifice of Jesus, such a levitical priesthood ceased to have God's backing, and so did the mosaic law and aspects of it such as tithing, animal sacrifices and gleaning (Heb 7:1-28). Little wonder the apostle Paul referred to the law as a tutor leading to Christ (Gal 3:24). Now that we have Christ, we no longer need a tutor.

Instead of tithing, christians are to be cheerful givers (2Cor 9:7).

Instead of hating their enemies, christians are to love and pray for them. (Matt 5:43;44)

Instead of offering animal sacrifices, christians are to offer the fruit of the lips (praise) to God (Heb 13:15).

It's a shame some profess to be christians and yet, like the pharisees of Jesus time, give the tenth part of food as religious obligation but ignore the weightier matters of the law namely justice, MERCY and faithfulness (Matt 23:23) and for this very reason, Jesus condemned them!

4 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by ccwizard: 7:26pm On Mar 03, 2013
Matthew 5:17-20
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by biodunid: 7:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
Below is a 'comprehensive' list of tithe references in the bible. If you read the full chapter in each case and the whole of Malachi, since it is the cornerstone of the tithing 'gospel' and conveniently short at only three chapters, you should get a well grounded view of the whole tithe scam. Even if we concede for the sake of argument that we are under the law despite the perfect sacrifice of Christ then we must look at the letter and spirit of the law as declared clearly in Deuteronomy, Nehemiah etc and those books do not tell me to give all the tithe to the Levite / priest but state that the group is only one of several stakeholders and a conditional one at that. They had no portion in the land which was the principal store of wealth in those days and thus depended on the generosity of those they served. Today we know those who pursue tithes the most also own the most jets and hardly qualify as 'having no stake among you'.

As for Malachi and the treasure house, I note that the other place the treasure house is mentioned in relation to tithes is in Nehemiah where the Levite within the cities are told to pay a tithe of the tithe they collect to the treasure house which is in the temple in Jerusalem. When we take this in consonance with the bulk of Malachi which is a 'tirade' against the priestly class generally we can see that the injunction to bring the tithe into the treasure house wasn't meant for you and I, who should share our tithes to multiple stakeholders, but to the Levite who should pay his own tithe to the treasure house. I am saying that the fellows on the pulpits are actually using an indictment of themselves to indict you and I! What sweet irony. If you fell for it that is your reward for not reading your bible pali to pali even while you have devoured a dozen 'books' published by your pastor.

Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

Leviticus 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
Numbers 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
Deuteronomy 12:17 Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
Deuteronomy 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
Deuteronomy 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
Deuteronomy 14:28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
2Chronicles 31:5 And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.
2Chronicles 31:6 And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid them by heaps.
Nehemiah 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
Nehemiah 13:12 Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.
Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Deuteronomy 26:12 When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;
Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Leviticus 27:31 And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
Numbers 18:24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
Numbers 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
Numbers 18:28 Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel ; and ye shall give thereof the LORD's heave offering to Aaron the priest.
Deuteronomy 12:6 And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
Deuteronomy 12:11 Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD:
Deuteronomy 26:12 When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;
2Chronicles 31:12 And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.
Nehemiah 10:37 And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
Nehemiah 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
Nehemiah 12:44 And at that time were some appointed over the chambers for the treasures, for the offerings, for the firstfruits, and for the tithes, to gather into them out of the fields of the cities the portions of the law for the priests and Levites: for Judah rejoiced for the priests and for the Levites that waited.
Nehemiah 13:5 And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests.
Amos 4:4 Come to Bethel , and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:
Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Luke 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Hebrews 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
Hebrews 7:6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
Hebrews 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Hebrews 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 03, 2013
@bidam

i wonder why you find it difficult to see plain truth even with bible verses quoted correctly.set urself free
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 03, 2013
GOSHEN: Another question we need to ask those who says it was ONLY the priesthood that was set aside or cancelled is that, if the tithe was commandment to the Levitical priesthood and they say it is the priesthood that is disanulled in verse 18, then does the tithe still remain? The people that the tithe was commandment to be given to are disanulled, it automatically means the tithe itself is disannulled along together with the people (Levitical Priesthood), if that is their argument. There is no logical explanation that those commandment to take tithe is disannulled but the tithe remains. This is abuse of scriptural interpretation.
..YOU SEE YOUR LIFE? LET ME QUOTE THE SCRIPTURE..LET US BEGIN...

This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High.
He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and
blessed him, and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First,
his name means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of
Salem" means "king of peace." Without father or mother, without
genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of
God he remains a priest forever. Just think how great he was: Even
the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! Now the
law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect
a tenth from the people – that is, their brothers – even though their
brothers are descended from Abraham. This man, however, did not
trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham
and blessed him who had the promises. And without doubt the
lesser person is blessed by the greater. In the one case, the tenth is
collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is
declared to be living. One might even say that Levi, who collects
the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, because when
Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his
ancestor. (Hebrews 7:1-10, NIV)

The Aaronic priesthood is inferior to the Melchizedekian priesthood for several reasons.
First, Abraham, the ancestor of Aaron and the Levites, paid tithe to Melchizedek, who in
turn blessed him, "And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater" (v. 7).
Second, the former is administered by mortal beings, but the latter is founded on "the
power of an indestructible life" (v. 16). Third, the Levites were priests because of their
ancestry, but Christ is our high priest by a personal oath from God: "For it is declared:
'You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek'" (v. 17; Psalm 110:4). The
Melchizedekian priesthood is indeed superior to the Aaronic priesthood. Since God has
made Jesus a priest in the order of Melchizedek, it follows that Jesus is greater than
Aaron.
But what this implies is another matter. Why does the superiority of the Melchizedekian
priesthood imply the abolition of the tithe? Being under the administration of a superior
priesthood does not automatically mean that one does not need to tithe. Perhaps one may
point to verse 12, which says, "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must
also be a change of the law." But again, that does not automatically settle the issue. Why
does "a change of the law" necessarily entail the abolition of the tithe? The law says,
"Thou shalt not murder." Does it mean we may commit murder under the new priesthood,
seeing that there is "a change of the law"?
What is this "change in the law"
?
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Knowyaself(m): 7:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
Godseagle: Pls read Matthew 23 vs 23 to know that Jesus also preached about Tithe.

My bro, that was before the calvary sacrifice. Why not continue to give burnt sacrifice to God becase jesus said then u must obey the teachers of the law?
As a christain, I'm not against the funding of the church to advance the gospel, but such funding should not be called tithing - tithing does not apply to christains. What applies to christains is giving generously to the church as well as the needy.

3 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 03, 2013
The preaching of tithes is a Scam, only itching ears sheep are deceived by
this filthy lucre deception.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 03, 2013
Segeggs: @bidam

i wonder why you find it difficult to see plain truth even with bible verses quoted correctly.set urself free
BRO..RATHER you are the one who is blind to scriptural truth...so na until JESUS CHRIST appear to you and tell you to tithe before you go believe abi? my bro..go back to your first love..many are being led astray by false doctrines these days..becos they think tithes is for pastors and not Jesus..Thank GOD for the HOLY SPIRIT.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 03, 2013
Knowyaself:

My bro, that was before the calvary sacrifice. Why not continue to give burnt sacrifice to God becase jesus said then u must obey the teachers of the law?

The only one they want is the one that has ££££££ attached to it
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 03, 2013
Bidam: BRO..RATHER you are the one who is blind to scriptural truth...so na until JESUS CHRIST appear to you and tell you to tithe before you go believe abi? my bro..go back to your first love..many are being led astray by false doctrines these days..becos they think tithes is for pastors and not Jesus..Thank GOD for the HOLY SPIRIT.

You are on the side of the deceivers, go away with your man made LIE.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Oahray: 7:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
Bidam: Since God has
made Jesus a priest in the order of Melchizedek, it follows that Jesus is greater than
Aaron.
But what this implies is another matter. Why does the superiority of the Melchizedekian
priesthood imply the abolition of the tithe? Being under the administration of a superior
priesthood does not automatically mean that one does not need to tithe. Perhaps one may
point to verse 12, which says, "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must
also be a change of the law." But again, that does not automatically settle the issue. Why
does "a change of the law" necessarily entail the abolition of the tithe? The law says,
"Thou shalt not murder." Does it mean we may commit murder under the new priesthood,
seeing that there is "a change of the law"?
What is this "change in the law"
?
Flawed logic. If the constitution of a nation is reviewed or changed, does it mean everything therein is changed?

Jesus taught his followers to love their fellow man whether neighbour or 'enemy', so your analogy of murder does not hold water as we would not murder someone we love. You see how the new convenant makes perfects the law convenant?

As for tithing, the levitical priesthood has been replaced by Jesus who shed his blood once and for all time. If you must pay tithe as you claim (which neither Jesus nor the first century christians ever stressed), you should give it to the priest, Jesus. How? Let the bible answer this:

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Since you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me." -Matt 25:40 (King James 2000 Bible ©2003)

Do you see the point now?

5 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Goshen360(m): 8:03pm On Mar 03, 2013
See Bidam quoting without saying anything meaningful. grin
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by PastorKun(m): 8:12pm On Mar 03, 2013
Goshen360: See Bidam quoting without saying anything meaningful. grin

Bidam is a chronic pathological and compulsive liar + manipulator of scriptures for conceited gain who masquerade himself as a christian.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by buchostags(m): 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2013
op u just dnt have a clue wht givin is all bout...thrz d thnksgivn u give to God...tithe u giv for d up keep of d haus...prophetic offrin u giv to me of God...project ofrin for projects...welfare ofrin to less privies...so u cn now sort out ur sef n stop makin a fuul of yasef
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 03, 2013
Oahray: Flawed logic. If the constitution of a nation is reviewed or changed, does it mean everything therein is changed?

Jesus taught his followers to love their fellow man whether neighbour or 'enemy', so your analogy of murder does not hold water as we would not murder someone we love. You see how the new convenant makes perfects the law convenant?

As for tithing, the levitical priesthood has been replaced by Jesus who shed his blood once and for all time. If you must pay tithe as you claim (which neither Jesus nor the first century christians ever stressed), you should give it to the priest, Jesus. How? Let the bible answer this:

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Since you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me." -Matt 25:40 (King James 2000 Bible ©2003)

Do you see the point now?
YOU THINK SO? I HAVEN'T FINISHED MY EPISTLE YET BEFORE YOU JUMP INTO CONCLUSION THAT HOLDS NO WATER..

What is this "change in the law"? Does it refer to a change, or even the abolition, of all
previously revealed moral laws, ceremonial laws, and civil laws? Or, given the context,
does it refer only to the laws relevant to the Levitical priesthood?
The connexion requires us to understand it only of the law so far as
it was connected with the Levitical priesthood. This could not

apply to the ten commandments – for they were given before the
institution of the priesthood; nor could it apply to any other part of
the moral law, for that was not dependent on the appointment of
the Levitical priests. But the meaning is, that since a large number
of laws – constituting a code of considerable extent and importance
– was given for the regulation of the priesthood, and in reference to
the rites of religion, which they were to observe or superintend, it
followed that when their office was superseded by one of a wholly
different order, the law which had regulated them vanished also, or
ceased to be binding. This is a very important point in the
introduction of Christianity, and hence it is that it is so often
insisted on in the writings of Paul.

Therefore, the change from the Aaronic priesthood to the Melchizedekian priesthood
changes only those things that are directly relevant to the Aaronic priesthood, and does
not automatically eliminate the tithe.
Rather, the question should be whether the
Melchizedekian priesthood is one that receives tithes. We find that this priesthood indeed
receives tithes, since the same passage refers to the Genesis account in which Abraham
paid tithes to Melchizedek. Then, we observe that Jesus is a priest in the order of
Melchizedek, which is an order priesthood that receives tithes.

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus rebukes the Pharisees, saying that they appear to be faithful in
paying their tithes, but they neglect the even more important matters of the law: "Woe
unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and
cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith:
these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Indeed, Jesus says that
inward virtues such as judgment, mercy, and faith are "weightier" than tithing, but he
does not abolish or belittle tithing in any biblical passage, nor does he say that it is PASSING AWAY.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by danox(m): 8:18pm On Mar 03, 2013
You sounded rather too abrasive.Does God come down to eat money?I really think it is high time we got somethings right.I am not going to embroil myself in any argument but I know that we are not getting it right when it comes to the deployment of the financial resources of the church
Acidosis: Crap!

God did not say you should give your TITHE (God's 1/10th demand) to the poor...

If you want to give to the poor, c'mon, you can even give your FULL salary after paying the tithe to the church..
You can get a big loan and give to the poor, NO ONE will stop you..

And only a f00l will practise that which you suggested...
You don't need to show the whole congregation what you want to give.... Invite them to your house, pack your belongings and money and properties for them smiley
BUT
Your tithe is for God! Try and change his order by trying to use your "professor wisdom" and you're doomed...
If God wanted us to do that, he'd have given us the commandment!

These things have been written before our greatgrandfathers were born and you can not change it with your JET age 21st century terrestial sense...
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by stagger: 8:18pm On Mar 03, 2013
frosbel: This Sunday in Church , take your 'Tithes' and Offerings to Church.

When the service gets to the Malachi 3 session, look for anyone around you who has real needs, and give your tithes and offerings to them.

Better still ask the ushers or pastors to ask the following people to come forward :

- Mothers who do not know where the next meal for the family will come from
- Fathers who have lost their Jobs
- Widows who have no husbands
- Orphans who have no parents.
- Students who are barely eating talk less of paying school fees
- Those who wear rags or who have no shoes
- the homeless and destitute.

Do not give it to the ushers or take it to the front of the church , give it to these people, these are GOD's children who have real needs, yes, they are the ones who need your money, your spare clothes and shoes, extra cars etc.

I repeat, do not give a dime to your church or pastor and let us see how they will react !!!!

That 10% is to be brought into the storehouse of God. The individual can give to the aforementioned from the generous 90% that God has allowed for us to use.

I don't recall a destitute or homeless person giving me breath of life or health and prosperity. Do not abrogate to yourself that which belongs to God. God is a jealous God and He cannot share His own with anyone else.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 03, 2013
stagger:

That 10% is to be brought into the storehouse of God. The individual can give to the aforementioned from the generous 90% that God has allowed for us to use.

I don't recall a destitute or homeless person giving me breath of life or health and prosperity. Do not abrogate to yourself that which belongs to God. God is a jealous God and He cannot share His own with anyone else.

This 10% you keep harping about, is it sent to God by rocket or does an angel come to pick it up?

Besides what is the store house if not the temple that was destroyed in 70ad making way for the spiritual temple which is the body of Christ?

2 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by jeak123(m): 8:28pm On Mar 03, 2013
Acidosis: Crap!

God did not say you should give your TITHE (God's 1/10th demand) to the poor...

If you want to give to the poor, c'mon, you can even give your FULL salary after paying the tithe to the church..
You can get a big loan and give to the poor, NO ONE will stop you..

And only a f00l will practise that which you suggested...
You don't need to show the whole congregation what you want to give.... Invite them to your house, pack your belongings and money and properties for them smiley
BUT
Your tithe is for God! Try and change his order by trying to use your "professor wisdom" and you're doomed...
If God wanted us to do that, he'd have given us the commandment!

These things have been written before our greatgrandfathers were born and you can not change it with your JET age 21st century terrestial sense...

Most of u who just reiterate what ur pastors told are just stupid. D Bible says, study to find urself approved, a workman dat maketh not ashamed dividing rightly d word of truth.
Please go back and study y God said d children of Israel should pay tithe, maybe u'll understand d essence of tithing. All of u who r just d mouth piece of ur pastor who have totally brainwashed u dat u no longer reason and study. U only c wat they want u to c.
Maybe i should remind that tithing is meant for a particular tribe of Israel which i don't think ur pastors are not.
U also need know dat God is a God of time and season. Is dat same tribe available today in Israel, i doubt and here u are defending an illegality.
Do u also know dat there is tight dat is given 2 d poor and even another tithe dat is eaten in d temple. Dats y ii said take time 2 study about tithe u'll understand.
Another thing is dat if tithing had been very important to d well being of a xtian and Jesus Christ neva mentioned it to d apostles neither did d apostles mention it 2 d early xtians and here u are defending a ploy by ur greedy pastors 2 own d choicest places and jets while u dat pay d tithe can hardly eat thrice a day.
Please take time to study d Bible and i know u'll become a beta xtian.

1 Like

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by PastorKun(m): 8:31pm On Mar 03, 2013
stagger:

@Frosbel
From the large number of ignorant posts on this thread concerning tithing and giving to God, it is obvious to me that a great deal of work still needs to be done to set the captives free.

3 Likes

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by enilove(m): 8:31pm On Mar 03, 2013
Miss Ope:

Are these laws not God's laws anymore? Or isn't christ God anymore? ...woo am confused jor...confusion everywhere sef sometime I feel like being an Atheist.... But I can't because I believe in Christ ....he's my friend and he's spoken to me before...... just dat people are confusing me and I don't even know wat to believe anymore.

Jesus told us that he has not come to abolish the law.

Tithe is relevant,if the new testament did not mention categorically that tithe is abolished,that means d apostles were faithful in tithing and never thought of not paying it.

The tithe is used by the church to spread the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

WISE THINKING IS:

If I pay my tithe to the pastor, can it hinder me from making heaven? If it is no,then it is better to pay it.

If I do not pay my tithe, can it hinder me from making heaven, if it is not abolished by God.?If it can hinder on the ground of robbery,& disobedience,then it is wise to pay the tithe.

If it is not required,and i did not pay. Would I have the same reward in heaven with those that paid their tithes foolishly to the pastors? Definitely not. At least part of the tithe will be used for God by the pastor.Like generating electrical power during service,printing of tracts,paying for the rental bill of the church premises or erecting the chuch building. Such a giver of d tithe will share in the reward.

If you read Matt 23:23 Jesus said" Woe to you,Scribes,Pharasees,hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin,& have neglected d WEIGHTIER matters of the law :justice and mercy and faithfulness.These you OUGHT TO HAVE DONE,WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS.
This means it is compulsory but should be in conjuction with the other more important part of the law,like Justice etc.

Matt 5:20 "For I tell u ,unless ur righteousness exceeds that of d scribes and Pharasees,you will NEVER ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD. The Pharasees used to pay their tithes ,u too must pay your tithes,they negnected Justice ,mercy etc but you must add these to ur tithe, b4 you can make heaven.

Jesus said in Matt5:17 That he did not come to abolish the law.......19 "Ther4 whoever relaxes one of these commandments & teaches others to do d same will be called least in d kingdom of heaven,but he whoever DOES THEM & teaches them will be called great in d kingdom of heaven.

Non payment of tithe or payment to the widows or less previledged is relaxing the law.
An able bodied person will star to go to church toward end of the month,knowing that people will dstribute their tithes to him,as long as he puts on a torn cloth.

Another point is, if a widow collects tithe from a church member,who would she pay her tithe to?To the church or to a less priviledged widow? That second reciever would look for somebody else to give his tithe to ; and it will go on and on until it will no longer be divisible.This is confusion,unless the less priviledged will not pay tithe . If they do not pay tithe, then the giver of the tithe is also not bound to give his tithe.
Then the church of God will not have funds to finance its projects. The land on which ur church was erected was purchsed ,d building,the chairs,microphones,generators, goes into millions of naira.Monthly rental of space for some chuches is up to #300,000.00 per month
If you do not drop ur tithe, are u ready to follow what the early chuch practised in Acts 4:34"There was not a needy person among them ,for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them & brought proceeds of what was sold".

They paid more than tithes,there is no law against this.

My advice to yoy and others is "LET US FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS.

To be carnally minded is death,but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Pay your tithe to ur pastor ,what he does with the tithe is no longer our business,he will give account of it on the day of judgement.

Thanks.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 03, 2013
stagger:

MY BRO..THE PROBLEM IS THAT THESE FALSE TEACHINGS HAS LED SO MANY ASTRAY THAT I WEEP FOR THE CHURCH...DISTORTION AND TWISTING OF SCRIPTURES AND CLAIMS THAT SINCE MALACHI IS OT..IT IS DONE AWAY WITH..WHEN CHRIST RETURNS WILL HE STILL FIND FAITH IN THE EARTH? MAY GOD HELP THE ELECT.
Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by christemmbassey(m): 8:34pm On Mar 03, 2013
Bidam: It is rather sickening and pathetic that this kind of doctrines of demons always makes the front page..it is rather disheartening that those who do not know God and those who claim they know God(false believers) always are quick to raise "airs" making wrong comments and rubbishing the redemptive package of Christ..hell has indeed enlarge her coast and is wide open for frosbel and his supporters to enter.
bro dont feel defeated, like i said , we are not here to win arguments, but to learn and teach each other, grow and become better christians, lets not engage in deaf and dumb or buhari arguments, if u have superior point bring out, we say the christian is not suposed to pay tithe with scriptures to back it up, if u believe otherwise show us a verse where Christ recieved or paid tithe, or where Paul, Peter, John etc paid to or collected tithes from christians. Speak the TRUTH and shame the devil. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church by Goshen360(m): 8:39pm On Mar 03, 2013
@ Bidam, do you agree the levitical priesthood is ABOLISHED

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply)

Chinese Pastor Wang Yi Sentenced To Nine Years In Prison For Preaching / Parish Priest Sells Church And Its Land Leaving His Members In Disbelief (video) / 10 Reasons Why Winners Chapel Is 'Dangerously' Wealthy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.