Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,910 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14307 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 12:46pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx: Ojukwu definitely had his points but he should have being more conciliatory. Every dispute doesn't have to be settled by violence. Nobody has answered the question i raised, u guys said Gowon was not the most senior army officer and i asked was Ojukwu the most senior eastern officer in biafra?

I still maintain the civil war was at its best utterly stupid, pointless (between brothers) driven blindly by greed, ignorance, ego and some other incomprehensible credo. I imagine if the energy, brilliance (the ibos) and resourses channeled into the war has been used the develop Nigeria, may will be like SA now. I cannot but marvel at Ojukwu and Gowon who gambled so recklessly with staggering costs in human life, blood and resources. Ojukwu and Gowon survived the war and were granted pardons while millions died, children became orphans, people who were lucky to survive the war lost all they had worked their lives for. Its so easy for us to grandstand on the internet and talk about the war. Truth be told, war is not mortal kombat where after u die, u cant still play again.

Coming to the issue of the yorubas not joining with the eastern region to fight the hausas. If Ojukwu was willing to fight the northerns in a war he never could have won, would the yorubas also go to war with the same mindset? In 1967, the same year the biafra war won started, Israel fought with Egypt, Jordan and Syria all togetherhe war just after six days. When Awolowo approached the yoruba army officers like Olutoye about joining the ibos in fighting the war, they asked Awolowo pertinent questions like if he had weapons and barracks of his own, he said no. If Awolowo had joined in a alliance that could not win the war, i wouldnt be here defending him
...and if you were in Ojukwu's shoes what would you have done? I need your personal answer undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 12:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
tomakint: Ojukwu was right afterall! May his soul continue to rest in peace! He clearly fought against a 'too powerful central government' at Aburi, many thought he was being too heady but we know better today cool

Its unfortunate that Ojukwu didn't fight as assiduously as he did at aburi when his kinsman Ironsi foisted centralised govt on the rest of us with so much as a plebscite. Rather he went on air the following day bragging about how he is going to export many of his kinsmen to the north to take up govtal post in the region. Anyway, at what price was ojukwu willing to fight against a "too powerful central govt"? Certainly, not with his life but the life others excluding of course, his immediate family members. Only "animals" resolve any disagreement (with their peers) with violence as they can't really articulate their thoughts and wishes etc. to others.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx:
Coming to the issue of the yorubas not joining with the eastern region to fight the hausas. If Ojukwu was willing to fight the northerns in a war he never could have won, would the yorubas also go to war with the same mindset? In 1967, the same year the biafra war won started, Israel fought with Egypt, Jordan and Syria all togetherhe war just after six days. When Awolowo approached the yoruba army officers like Olutoye about joining the ibos in fighting the war, they asked Awolowo pertinent questions like if he had weapons and barracks of his own, he said no. If Awolowo had joined in a alliance that could not win the war, i wouldnt be here defending him

My brother, Awo did the right thing! Why should the yorubas put their neck on the line for the ibos? Ore wo ni ipa won se idi? When the ibos were cavorting with the northerners, did Awo not warn them? Instead, they colluded with their Fulani masters to cause mayhem in yorubaland hoping that they can then sweep in and take over yorubaland until akintola told them where to go. How many yorubas lost their lives in the subsequent “operation wetie” instigated by okpara?

Had the yorubas joined the ibos in the war, we would have lost a lot in both human and natural resources only for the ibos to match into lagos as the phocking liberator! Do you think the ibos will just then leave us to rule ourselves? Even now, without fighting and winning any war, the ibos are fond of laying claim to part of our ancestral land so imagine if they have “liberated” us!

Ojukwu was smart but not 10% as smart as Awo!His childish prank cost nigeria millions of innocent souls. May he never find peace wherever he is now. Amen.

4 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2013
Nigerians can play with words in order to make Nigeria look remotely accepted to everyone. The fact remains unbiased examination of the project called Nigeria will reveal a human endeavor in futility.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2013
tomakint:
...and if you were in Ojukwu's shoes what would you have done? I need your personal answer undecided
I would never have declared seccession. I would rather have held out for a better deal for my people. Better still, i would have taken my case to the UN to conduct a plebiscite to determine if the easterners wanted to be administered in Nigeria or Biafra. Lastly he could declared seccession in the newly created southern central state which contained only ibos.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

My brother, Awo did the right thing! Why should the yorubas put their neck on the line for the ibos? Ore wo ni ipa won se idi? When the ibos were cavorting with the northerners, did Awo not warn them? Instead, they colluded with their Fulani masters to cause mayhem in yorubaland hoping that they can then sweep in and take over yorubaland until akintola told them where to go. How many yorubas lost their lives in the subsequent “operation wetie” instigated by okpara?

Had the yorubas joined the ibos in the war, we would have lost a lot in both human and natural resources only for the ibos to match into lagos as the phocking liberator! Do you think the ibos will just then leave us to rule ourselves? Even now, without fighting and winning any war, the ibos are fond of laying claim to part of our ancestral land so imagine if they have “liberated” us!

Ojukwu was smart but not 10% as smart as Awo!His childish prank cost nigeria millions of innocent souls. May he never find peace wherever he is now. Amen.

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 1:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Its unfortunate that Ojukwu didn't fight as assiduously as he did at aburi when his kinsman Ironsi foisted centralised govt on the rest of us with so much as a plebscite. Rather he went on air the following day bragging about how he is going to export many of his kinsmen to the north to take up govtal post in the region. Anyway, at what price was ojukwu willing to fight against a "too powerful central govt"? Certainly, not with his life but the life others excluding of course, his immediate family members. Only "animals" resolve any disagreement (with their peers) with violence as they can't really articulate their thoughts and wishes etc. to others.

You are pathetically laughable. Anyway, you are not a stranger to me. I guess humans can be absolved from their fallibility when incapable of discerning a seemingly conflict among them.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 1:25pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx: Ojukwu definitely had his points but he should have being more conciliatory. Every dispute doesn't have to be settled by violence. Nobody has answered the question i raised, u guys said Gowon was not the most senior army officer and i asked was Ojukwu the most senior eastern officer in biafra?

I still maintain the civil war was at its best utterly stupid, pointless (between brothers) driven blindly by greed, ignorance, ego and some other incomprehensible credo. I imagine if the energy, brilliance (the ibos) and resourses channeled into the war has been used the develop Nigeria, may will be like SA now. I cannot but marvel at Ojukwu and Gowon who gambled so recklessly with staggering costs in human life, blood and resources. Ojukwu and Gowon survived the war and were granted pardons while millions died, children became orphans, people who were lucky to survive the war lost all they had worked their lives for. Its so easy for us to grandstand on the internet and talk about the war. Truth be told, war is not mortal kombat where after u die, u cant still play again.

I am not surprise the above post came from you after you might have gone through the alleged transcript of Aburi Accord. Even the questions and analogies you raised in the post beg for the clarity of your state of mind.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx:
I would never have declared seccession. I would rather have held out for a better deal for my people. Better still, i would have taken my case to the UN to conduct a plebiscite to determine if the easterners wanted to be administered in Nigeria or Biafra. Lastly he could declared seccession in the newly created southern central state which contained only ibos.
What a load of rubbish above. The rubbish above show that the poster is not informed. Did Ojukwu not go to Ethiopia at OAU assembly. You feel he did not want peace?. The more you guys chat here the more you showcase your ignorance.
About east central state, Gown was really wasting his time creating states in the east as he was not in control of the east until mid Jan'70. Even at that, there were Igbo people outside the south east. For your tiny brain, the war was not about Ndigbo but old eastern Nigeria.
I know some peeps in real life who only come to nairaland to read through and leave no comments. Why not be like that?.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ejindu: From the present chaos, what type of Nigeria do you envisage?

Nzeogwu: In the first place, secession will be ill-advised, indeed impossible. Even if the East fights a war of secession and wins, it still cannot secede. Personally, I don't like secession and if this country disintegrates, I shall pack up my things and go. In the present circumstances, confederation is the best answer as a temporary measure. In time, we shall have complete unity. Give this country a confederation and, believe me, in ten or fifteen years the young men will find it intolerable, and will get together to change it. And it is obvious we shall get a confederation or something near it. Nothing will stop that.

Ejindu: Do you think there will be any war?

Nzeogwu: No. Nobody wants to fight. The East which is best equipped and best prepared for war, does not want to attack anybody. The North cannot fight. And Lagos cannot fight now. If they had attacked the East in August or September, they would have had a walk-over. Today, I think they will be ill-advised to try.

Ejindu: An Englishman said to me the other day that the best thing Ojukwu can do is to take over Lagos. Do you think he can do it even if he wanted to?

Nzeogwu: Yes, I think the East is strong enough to do it if they want to. But it will serve no useful purpose. It can only serve to destroy life and property. You see, the effective power does not lie in Lagos but in Kaduna, and if you remove Gowon somebody else will take his place. If you capture the South against the North, all you can achieve is civil war, disintegration and border cla

It seems to me Ojukwu never listened to good advice. He locked Lt. Col. Hilary Njoku (Ojukwu's senior) in jail for disagreeing with him over biafra. The same reason he suspended Nzeogwu from the Biafran Army and claimed in his book "Because I Am Invloved" that other senior officer were going to resign their commissioning because they were not reay to work with Nzeogwu. Also Major (Biafra Lt. Col.) Adewale Ademoyega who fought in the Biafran Army claimed in his book "Why We Struck" that Ojukwu was not the easiest person to work with and its not advisable arguing with Ojukwu which he stated was one of the probable reasons Banjo, Ifeajuna, Alalae and Agbam were shot.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

You are pathetically laughable. Anyway, you are not a stranger to me. I guess humans can be absolved from their fallibility when incapable of discerning a seemingly conflict among them.

Yeah, just as you are well known to me too- a pathetic old man still afflicted with vanquished syndrome, 40-odd years after the fact. I suppose in your neck of the woods, any "seemingly conflict" can only be solved with violence. Talk about self-fulfilling prophesy!!! Just because they label you, "animals" does not necessarilly mean you have to behave as one.

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by eagleeye2: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx:

I have said it else-where, even if Ojukwu did not make the Ahiara Declaration another Ranking Soldier would have, and Ojukwu may even have a mutiny on his hand.
The situation that time warrants the East to go there seperate ways, since it was obvious that Nigeria did not accept them (even now, have the Igbos really been accepted in the so called one NIGERIA?)
Ojukwu's hands were forced he did the best under the circumstance. Moreover why will the Nigerian Army still resort to the use of Force, if they really wanted the East back to the union called Nigeria.
Gowon could have still called for another round of Dialogue when he found out that he has goofed. As the then Eastern governor, Ojukwu did the best he could given what was on ground.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 1:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
Andre Uweh:
What a load of rubbish above. The rubbish above show that the poster is not informed. Did Ojukwu not go to Ethiopia at OAU assembly. You feel he did not want peace?. The more you guys chat here the more you showcase your ignorance.
About east central state, Gown was really wasting his time creating states in the east as he was not in control of the east until mid Jan'70. Even at that, there were Igbo people outside the south east. For your tiny brain, the war was not about Ndigbo but old eastern Nigeria.
I know some peeps in real life who only come to nairaland to read through and leave no comments. Why not be like that?.

I have some questions for you.

a. When did Ojukwu go to Ethiopia for the OAU Assembly?

b. What happened when Adaka Boro declared Niger Delta Republic in February 1966 when an igbo was in power, what precedence was set and what was Ojukwu's reaction?

c. If Aguiyi Ironsi (igbo man) could not allow the Niger Delta go, why should Gowon allow the eastern region leave Nigeria?

d. Who has the powers to create new states in the Federation and Gowon was not in control of the eastern region by virtue of what?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 1:52pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Yeah, just as you are well known to me too- a pathetic old man still afflicted with vanquished syndrome, 40-odd years after the fact. I suppose in your neck of the woods, any "seemingly conflict" can only be solved with violence. Talk about self-fulfilling prophesy!!! Just because they label you, "animals" does not necessarilly mean you have to behave as one.

It takes one animal to recognize another. I am happy to watch a man whose mind plays him like a pawn. Nothing exemplifies such scenario more than the above idiotic post. The moronic interplay explains the character of the individuals who aided the violence in a bid to solve the conflict. I had rather fight and experience defeat than cowered into submission without gauging my strength, olodo.

By the way, remember who started the game of insult in this discuss.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
eagle,eye:

I have said it else-where, even if Ojukwu did not make the Ahiara Declaration another Ranking Soldier would have, and Ojukwu may even have a mutiny on his hand.
The situation that time warrants the East to go there seperate ways, since it was obvious that Nigeria did not accept them (even now, have the Igbos really been accepted in the so called one NIGERIA?)
Ojukwu's hands were forced he did the best under the circumstance. Moreover why will the Nigerian Army still resort to the use of Force, if they really wanted the East back to the union called Nigeria.
Gowon could have still called for another round of Dialogue when he found out that he has goofed. As the then Eastern governor, Ojukwu did the best he could given what was on ground.

When Ifeajuna killed Tafawa Balewa, Largema and Maimalari, the ibos were being forced out? When Nzeogwu killed Ahmadu Bello, Ademulegun's pregnant wife, the ibos were not accepted? .when Ibo officers killed innocent and harmless people they wanted to revolutionarize Nigeria. When Northerners NCOs killed ibo people they were forcing them out of Nigeria. When Achuzia kills a Nigeria officer, he is a hero, when Benjamin Adekunle kills a biafran officer, he is a coward.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 2:03pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx:

I have some questions for you.

a. When did Ojukwu go to Ethiopia for the OAU Assembly?

b. What happened when Adaka Boro declared Niger Delta Republic in February 1966 when an igbo was in power, what precedence was set and what was Ojukwu's reaction?

c. If Aguiyi Ironsi (igbo man) could not allow the Niger Delta go, why should Gowon allow the eastern region leave Nigeria?

d. Who has the powers to create new states in the Federation and Gowon was not in control of the eastern region by virtue of what?

After Aburi, Ojukwu also went to OAU conference of head of states seeking for a peaceful resolution of the Nigerian crisis (1967).
Biafra was not just declared by Ojukwu but by the eastern Nigerian parliament at Enugu. Unlike Adaka Boro, who did not act with the wish of any parliament.
Ojukwu was in firm control of the east and not Gowon. Have you not bothered to ask why Ojukwu released the prisoners detained or serving in the east?. Gowon as I said earlier was just wasting his time creating states in the east.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
Andre Uweh:
After Aburi, Ojukwu also went to OAU conference of head of states seeking for a peaceful resolution of the Nigerian crisis (1967).
Biafra was not just declared by Ojukwu but by the eastern Nigerian parliament at Enugu. Unlike Adaka Boro, who did not act with the wish of any parliament.
Ojukwu was in firm control of the east and not Gowon. Have you not bothered to ask why Ojukwu released the prisoners detained or serving in the east?. Gowon as I said earlier was just wasting his time creating states in the east.
a. Ojukwu went to Addis Abbaba in 1968 not 1967 after he had invaded the mideast, looted the the central bank and massacred asaba people on their way to lagos.

b. Adaka Boro was not be allowed out of eastern region because of oil and setting a bad precedence.

c. Gowon followed Aguiyi ironsi's precedence above

d. I still dont understand what u mean by Ojukwu was in control not Gowon in eastern region? Who has powers to create states? the governor or the head of state?

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx:

When Ifeajuna killed Tafawa Balewa, Largema and Maimalari, the ibos were being forced out? When Nzeogwu killed Ahmadu Bello, Ademulegun's pregnant wife, the ibos were not accepted? .when Ibo officers killed innocent and harmless people they wanted to revolutionarize Nigeria. When Northerners NCOs killed ibo people they were forcing them out of Nigeria. When Achuzia kills a Nigeria officer, he is a hero, when Benjamin Adekunle kills a biafran officer, he is a coward.

That is the level of ridiculous deceit these people can get into....

It's good for them to do it..but never good for the other party to pay them back in their coin..
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 2:28pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Its not about Ojukwu's flexing muscle back in Nigeria, its about Gowon and his gangs pigheadedness to an agreement that was painted in WHITE! undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 2:30pm On Mar 28, 2013
debetmx:
Son, go back to bed, I am done with you undecided
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by joeyfire(m): 2:34pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

Instead, they colluded with their Fulani masters to cause mayhem in yorubaland hoping that they can then sweep in and take over yorubaland until akintola told them where to go. How many yorubas lost their lives in the subsequent “operation wetie” instigated by okpara?

Kindly shed more light on this please. I've never heard this one before
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
ilugunboy:

That is the level of ridiculous deceit these people can get into....

It's good for them to do it..but never good for the other party to pay them back in their coin..

No, they payed u back 100fold. Who started it? Yorubas abi, January 15, 1966.

The Northerners understand the meaning of the Italian saying "revenge is a dish best served cold" the ibos really enjoyed d meal, metaphorically
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 2:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
tomakint:
Son, go back to bed, I am done with you undecided

You might not wake up from your sleep for all i care. Moreover it is better than the deaths your ancestors suffered under the Northern NCOs

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by tomakint: 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
joeyfire:

Too many palm wine tappers on Nairaland my brother cheesy
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

It takes one animal to recognize another. I am happy to watch a man whose mind plays him like a pawn. Nothing exemplifies such scenario more than the above idiotic post. The moronic interplay explains the character of the individuals who aided the violence in a bid to solve the conflict. I had rather fight and experience defeat than cowered into submission without gauging my strength, olodo

By the way, remember who started the game of insult in this discuss.

The bolded speaks volume about you and your kinsmen. So, ojukwu was just assessing his strength by sending young boys into the battlefield with one gun between two of them whilst the enemy is well and fully armed with modern weapons. However, on realising his "strength" is nothing to write home about, he legged it like a thief in the night leaving his defenceless people at the mercy of the approaching armed forces.

When we fight, we fight to win or we don't fight at all till we are good and ready to give the enemy a bloody nose. In yoruba war history, the are ona kakanfo (general) fights to win or die on the battlefield. He doesn't run off in the night only to come back and start pointing accusing fingers at others for his failure on the battlefield.

In the history of yorubaland, no are onakakanfo has been known to lose a war and then come back to live till old age among the people, like ojukwu did.Never mind marrying a young damsel. Certainly, the yorubas will not consider him a hero!

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 3:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

The bolded speaks volume about you and your kinsmen. So, ojukwu was just assessing his strength by sending young boys into the battlefield with one gun between two of them whilst the enemy is well and fully armed with modern weapons. However, on realising his "strength" is nothing to write home about, he legged it like a thief in the night leaving his defenceless people at the mercy of the approaching armed forces.

When we fight, we fight to win or we don't fight at all till we are good and ready to give the enemy a bloody nose. In yoruba war history, the are ona kakanfo (general) fights to win or die on the battlefield. He doesn't run off in the night only to come back and start pointing accusing fingers at others for his failure on the battlefield.

In the history of yorubaland, no are onakakanfo has been known to lose a war and then come back to live till old age among the people, like ojukwu did.Never mind marrying a young damsel. Certainly, the yorubas will not consider him a hero!

To the best of my knowledge, Yooba peeps have not fought any war worthy of mention talk less writing home about. They had their azz kicked seven ways to Sunday by Sokoto Caliphate. Anybody whose original home was situated 30 miles north of Ilorin had no business talking of any war even if it was wrestling match.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2013
tomakint:
Too many palm wine tappers on Nairaland my brother cheesy

It is erroneous to compare palm tappers with some of the goons on this forum. Palm tapper brings joy to people while some of these goons magnify the defects in human beings.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2013
joeyfire:

The honourable member representing Ajeromi-Ajegunle Constituency, Mr. Ebube Dike, an Igbo settler from Okigwe, raced to the Speaker's table and made for the mace to hit it on the Speaker's head. The Speaker, Prince Adeleke Adedoyin dodged it and the mace hit on the table and broke into pieces.

It was the assigned role of Ebube Dike to remove the mace, being the authority of the parliament but he attempted to hit the mace on the head of the Speaker. It was not the intention of NNDP/NCNC alliance that the mace be broken but only to remove the mace and end the day's session. Likewise the instruction to honourable Oke was to tap the table to arouse the attention of Ebube Dike and not to jump up and down and shouting fire on the mountain. However, Ebube Dike in his ulterior motive regarded this as a reprisal action to pay back the AG on what they did to Zik in 1952, so 1952 remains a remarkable year for Igbos.

Source=======>http://www.dawodu.com/benson2.htm[quote]
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by debetmx(m): 3:35pm On Mar 28, 2013
T9ksy:

GOD bless u[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 3:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
Dede1:

To the best of my knowledge, Yooba peeps have not fought any war worthy of mention talk less writing home about. They had their azz kicked seven ways to Sunday by Sokoto Caliphate. Anybody whose original home was situated 30 miles north of Ilorin had no business talking of any war even if it was wrestling match.

Of course, yorubas have never fought major war. Why should i listen to an i.diot like you who reckons a 16 year war is a wrestling contest. I don't know anywhere in the history of this planet where a group of people have wrestle for 17yrs with the attendant loss of thousands of lives.

Yeah of course, old oyo was moved to new oyo but you in your inherently impish manner omit to mention how we gave the same sokoto caliphate a bloody nose at the battle of oshogbo in 1840. Since then we live in mutual respect of each other but you ibos have never fought any major war of repute. Even the british who colonised us all did not refer to the yoruba wars as a wrestling contest. Maybe they could not differentiate between a war and a wrestling contest but you who have never fought any, can.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
However, the man who led the East then (Eyo Ita) whom the Action Group regarded as an Igbo man was an Efik and not Igbo. In its political game and rascality, the Action Group, through vote buying and manipulation had vaporised the NCNC majority in the House and this prevented Zik from being leader of government in the Western Region or going on from the West to the House of Representatives in Lagos. The Lagos Metropolis was then part of the West. At that time, members got to the Federal House from their regional Houses through Electoral College except in Lagos where general election was conducted and the NCNC 'Five Men of Destiny' defeated the five members of the Action Group.

http://www.dawodu.com/benson2.htm

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Why Osinbajo Is More Active Than Buhari / Aishatu Dahiru Ahmed: Supreme Court Dismisses Suit Seeking To Unseat Senator / Adamu Adamu: APC Will Win In 2023 Because I Have Never Lost In My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.