Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14304 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by babymama3: 7:59pm On Mar 27, 2013
Did Awolowo write any memoirs before the otapiapia took effect lipsrsealed
Does anybody know?

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by joeyfire(m): 8:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
aurenflani:

Very big lie. Mischief maker una no go succeed and Hausa and Yoruba get sense pass una. Griiigrrrrriii fiful.

How silly. I go look for the paper if I can find it and take a picture of the news article. Area 10 mosque, abuja was the place. Whether u gree or not that one na your biz
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 8:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
aurenflani:

Mamman Shuwa prevented Igbo massacres by ordering the armoury to be locked. Buhari protected some igbo officers from being murdered. Chukwuma murdered Sardauna-huge igbo mistake. Igbo murdered Tafawa Balewa-huge mistake.

If you do not know the history or the military parlance, I suggest you keep quiet. Mamman Shuwa as the command of 5th Battalion, Kano allowed soldiers in his formation to partake in the massacre of Igbo civilians in northern region of Nigeria. Most of the officers who partook in the massacre came from 5th Battalion, Kano.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by 7842I: 8:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
inufele2:

Abiola came back to Nigeria, declared himself the president despite the military dictatorship this is a bold step from a man who is not even a military man. But your hero from the wrapper tying tribe fled with his tail between his legs dressed in wrapper, wig and make up abandoning his rag tag army to their fate. There can never be any coward worse than ojukwu in any war history.

You know, when MKO traveled, we all were hopeful that he was closing deals with russians and American arms merchants to buy some latest war planes and heavy tanks to invade Nigeria and snatch his mandate like a man. I was so disappointed when the coward sneaked back into the country and mounted a rickety car to declare to the few yoruba crowd around that he was the president (greedy foool)

The mumu did not even buy a common revolver abroad and he was declaring himself a president. Come and see the kain beating he recieved from some small boys awusa recruit soldiers inside black maria. See as them beat the guy black and blue before dumping his sorry ass inside prison, a whole richest man in Nigeria grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by babymama3: 8:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1:

If you do not the history or the military parlance, I suggest you keep quiet. Mamman Shuwa as the command of 5th Battalion, Kano allowed soldiers in his formation to partake in the massacre of Igbo civilians in northern region of Nigeria. Most of the officers who partook in the massacre came from 5th Battalion, Kano.

Is shuwa the same one that was gunned down in Maiduguri or so a few months ago by Boko haram?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Dede1(m): 8:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
baby_mama:

Is shuwa the same one that was gunned down in Maiduguri or so a few months ago?

Yes!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by 7842I: 8:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
baby_mama:

Is shuwa the same one that was gunned down in Maiduguri or so a few months ago by Boko haram?

Yes, very ironic that the same Nigeria he fought so hard to preserve could not protect his life. Such a pity.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Efikman(m): 8:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
T9ksy: I surely would love to read Ojukwu's memoir about the war and why he absconded in the middle of

the night to exile even though he promised his people that he was ready to fight till the end. Am also curious as

to why ojukwu LIED to his people about the northerners' intention to exterminate all ibos in alaiboland?
MUMU! Go and buy a copy of Ojukwu's account of the war, "Because i was involved". And while u r at it, pls remind your slavemaster Gowon to write his own account. We are waiting.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
7842I:

You know, when MKO traveled, we all were hopeful that he was closing deals with russians and American arms merchants to buy some latest war planes and heavy tanks to invade Nigeria and snatch his mandate like a man. I was so disappointed when the coward sneaked back into the country and mounted a rickety car to declare to the few yoruba crowd around that he was the president (greedy foool)

The mumu did not even buy a common revolver abroad and he was declaring himself a president. Come and see the kain beating he recieved from some small boys awusa recruit soldiers inside black maria. See as them beat the guy black and blue before dumping his sorry ass inside prison, a whole richest man in Nigeria grin

Abiola was not daft or driven by emotions like your coward hero ojukwu, he did the right thing without putting any citizen's life in danger.He prefer to fight his fight in the right manner and to die for what he believed in. And he did not compromise till death, that was an act of bravery not like your hero who ran away even when his enemies were hundreds of kilometres away abandoning his people to their fate only to come back to wine and dine with the enemies of his people grin grin grin
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by 7842I: 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
Efikman: MUMU! Go and buy a copy of Ojukwu's account of the war, "Because i was involved". And while u r at it, pls remind your slavemaster Gowon to write his own account. We are waiting.

Gowon was not a slavemaster, he was a slave. His people are still not free from bondage.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by 7842I: 8:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
inufele2:

Abiola was not daft or driven by emotions like your coward hero ojukwu, he did the right thing without putting any citizen's life in danger.He prefer to fight his fight in the right manner and to die for what he believed in. And he did not compromise till death, that was an act of bravery not like your hero who ran away even when his enemies were hundreds of kilometres away abandoning his people to their fate only to come back to wine and dine with the enemies of his people grin grin grin

What is the meaning of Aare ona kakanfo of yorubaland, which was the title of MKO?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by babymama3: 8:27pm On Mar 27, 2013
7842I:

Yes, very ironic that the same Nigeria he fought so hard to preserve could not protect his life. Such a pity.

Oh well
What did they say about firing a catapult in nkwo Nnewi market square
One never knows who may be the victim
The mother of auntie of the individual firing the shots may have come to the market to buy crayfish or Azu ndu
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 8:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: Why should somebody with healthy brain want to derail this educative thread?

It is time the Civil liberties and well meaning Nigeria force him to write his memoir.

We need to the know the truth from his perspective as the Head of State and Commander of Armed Forces.

If it does require granting him Amnesty even before the memoir, Nigerians are ready for to pardon him, in that the memoir is more important than his incarceration at the Hague.

You can't force anyone to write a memoir because the effort requires dedication and motivation.

If you lot feel that Gowon is hiding anything, then perhaps it is best that you find a way to charge him or set up a committee like the one in SA.

But you have to be ready for other opinions/facts and not just yours.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 8:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
Most Biafrans have accepted Achebe's version of events as the whole and nothing but the truth. What is the point of others writing memoirs Achebe's version is the universally accepted version?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by funkybaby(f): 8:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
Eyin omo Ibo, e ku ise o.

From Awolowo to Gowon and now ya'll are on MKO abiola. . . . . All in the attempt of looking for who to blame for the defeat of an ill conceived Biafra war.

I wonder who next ya'll will get your claws on Herbert ogunde? Abraham Adesanya undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 8:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
slimghost:

Fine, he did his job, but he owes it to our unborn children. Why?

1. They would need to know why a war that was avoidable was fought
2. They would need to know why the aburi accord wasnt kept
3. They would need to know why and how Bakassi was signed off to Cameroon. and many other unanswered questions.

If he truly believe he did his job, let him write that memoir. cheers

There are answers to those questions; you don't need Gowon to write a book for that.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 8:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1: Why he claimed to be defending constitution of Nigeria by keeping Nigeria one when, in fact, he usurped the position of Head of Stat?

Did Ironsi not usurp the Nigerian Constitution? After Balewa was murdered in cold blood, was there no process to elect a new leader?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1:

You must be worse than a learner. Who gave Gowon right to divide eastern region into three states?

The same right that allowed Ironsi to abolish regional governments and institute a unitary government - a gun.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 9:04pm On Mar 27, 2013
so yoruba people are always talking about igbo people as if that will keep both of us at par .. well, while we retreat to our mini flats and duplexes come night, it will still be you guys savoring the comfort of your face-me-i-face-you apartments. cool cool cool
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 9:06pm On Mar 27, 2013
Efikman: MUMU! Go and buy a copy of Ojukwu's account of the war, "Because i was involved". And while u r at it, pls remind your slavemaster Gowon to write his own account. We are waiting.

Since you guys are the one interested in Gowon's memoirs then i suggest you ask/force him to write one. Abi,

you know get ball$ ni?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Malawian(m): 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
what books did that free education dashing sage write during his lifetime? we know a lot of books by azikiwe, we dont expect any books from ahmadu bello... so how did he become a sage? no oyinbo writter will ever write about him, he did not even write squat. was he busy looting the treasury blind to remember to write about anything? answers.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Dede1:

Since Awolowo was your mischievous granpa, I shall not oblige to teach you how Hausa\Fulani\Kanuri deliberately twisted his pr1ck while extracting confession of the coup from him. I suggest you write to him in hell for clarification even for the year he was imprisoned, agbaya.

You are just making things up. Please provide a reference.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:13pm On Mar 27, 2013
joeyfire: I honestly believe gowon will never write his memoirs. His role in history is just too dark and I'm sure he tries to forget it.

He was installed as head of state over many of his seniors based on the wishes of the northern elite, due process was murdered and hasn't been properly revived, even after the war some of his gaffes on political and ecocomic matters are the stuff of legend and jokes

Do people organize coups to install individuals who are not sympathetic to their cause or share their pains? There is a reward or punishment for executing a coup.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by bobbydbobo: 9:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
Its so sad how sentimental, un-objective and ill informed some pple sound at times, even the educated ones among us.. A nation exists, and a pple within the nation decide to seceed which is a pure act of rebellion, and then u blame the Nation for tryn to bring back the rebels into the Union?? All thoe who served as military officers and leaders under biafra, should ordinarily have been put to death for a host of crimes like treason, conspiracy, felony, nd war crimes. War crimes doesn't have to be crimes u inflicted on others, it could b what u inflicted on ur own pple, which the leaders of biafra did. Gowon in his benevolence, and love for the union, like Abrahamlincoln in the American Civil war, declared "no victor, no vanquished". Pardoning those rebels. It is now uneducative to say that the nation commited a crime. And until u come to terms with the fact that Awolowo or the Yorubas neva commited an offence, it was Nigeria that was acting, a nation nd not this individuals.. Awolowo(rest in peace) made sure that all ibo assets in the SW were intat and payment to necessary quaters were made and backdated. Its so funny how some fore fathers sumwhere hav altered history for their mischievous reasons and have stired up strife btw every1.. U kip talkin abt Awolowo being the betrayer, have u forgotten so soon that Zik just in a bid to spite Awolowo, after both reached an agreement and Awo even decided to b his vice, went to meet balewa, to spite Awo and both took the reins of power. Awolowo, all thru is still refered to as the best president nigeria neva had, wonder y in his death, the Germans and Americans scrambled to have his brain taken to b understudied in their lab abroad, which was declined by his family. Ojukwu(rest in peace) all his life was grateful to Nigeria for pardoning him for all his crimes. It is wrong to come here and assert that bringing a set of rebels back into the fold is a crime. Rather ,it was the other way round
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
Onlytruth:

History states that Ojukwu never planned nor wanted war. He went to Aburi and painstakingly negotiated a peaceful settlement (an internationally supervised Accord) to end the Nigerian crisis.
Everybody, including Gowon, signed onto that Accord happily, raised glasses, hugged and all the rest, only for Gowon to return to Nigeria to trash the Accord. History also recorded that Gowon was the first to order a military action against Eastern Nigeria. All these are facts. Ojukwu never initiated any war; Gowon did.

Bye. cool

Ojukwu planned for war, he just didn't plan adequately. Did Ojukwu not utter these words - "on the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contact with the North, the answer is at the battlefield". Pre-1967, was there any nation that achieved independence without negotiation or force? Why would Ojukwu think that secession would not result in military action?

Gowon did implement the agreements at Aburi except the requirement from Ojukwu that the Regional Governors could not be fired by the Head of State. Ojukwu calculated that Gowon would fire him once the agreement was in place and preferred to go to war for that. Even the American diplomats praised Gowon for the extents he went in implementing the Aburi accord. Before the January coup, each region was able to elect its governor. Now when Ironsi appointed Ojukwu, why didn't Ojukwu insist on the people voting for their governor? If Ojukwu could be appointed by a military head of state, why should he insist on not being fired by a military head of state?

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:27pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Do people organize coups to install individuals who are not sympathetic to their cause or share their pains? There is a reward or punishment for executing a coup.

Interesting. . .what evidence do you have to declare that Awolowo is not sympathetic to their cause?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

Interesting. . .what evidence do you have to declare that Awolowo is not sympathetic to their cause?

Was Awo involved in the coup plots of 1966? How is Awo involved in this?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:32pm On Mar 27, 2013
bobbydbobo: Its so sad how sentimental, un-objective and ill informed some pple sound at times, even the educated ones among us.. A nation exists, and a pple within the nation decide to seceed which is a pure act of rebellion, and then u blame the Nation for tryn to bring back the rebels into the Union?? All thoe who served as military officers and leaders under biafra, should ordinarily have been put to death for a host of crimes like treason, conspiracy, felony, nd war crimes. War crimes doesn't have to be crimes u inflicted on others, it could b what u inflicted on ur own pple, which the leaders of biafra did. Gowon in his benevolence, and love for the union, like Abrahamlincoln in the American Civil war, declared "no victor, no vanquished". Pardoning those rebels. It is now uneducative to say that the nation commited a crime. And until u come to terms with the fact that Awolowo or the Yorubas neva commited an offence, it was Nigeria that was acting, a nation nd not this individuals.. Awolowo(rest in peace) made sure that all ibo assets in the SW were intat and payment to necessary quaters were made and backdated. Its so funny how some fore fathers sumwhere hav altered history for their mischievous reasons and have stired up strife btw every1.. U kip talkin abt Awolowo being the betrayer, have u forgotten so soon that Zik just in a bid to spite Awolowo, after both reached an agreement and Awo even decided to b his vice, went to meet balewa, to spite Awo and both took the reins of power. Awolowo, all thru is still refered to as the best president nigeria neva had, wonder y in his death, the Germans and Americans scrambled to have his brain taken to b understudied in their lab abroad, which was declined by his family. Ojukwu(rest in peace) all his life was grateful to Nigeria for pardoning him for all his crimes. It is wrong to come here and assert that bringing a set of rebels back into the fold is a crime. Rather ,it was the other way round

That's good! But your history teacher forgot to tell you that Awo secretly sent Akintola to negotiate with Balewa to form a coalition government while he was in active negotiation with Zik.

3 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Was Awo involved in the coup plots of 1966? How is Awo involved in this?

Are you telling me that the fact that he was not involved in 1966 coup can equally mean that he was not sympathetic to their cause?

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 9:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

Are you telling me that the fact that he was not involved in 1966 coup can equally mean that he is not sympathetic to their cause?

Someone who possibly didnt know about any coup until he was released and two coups have taken place would be sympathetic to which one?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

Are you telling me that the fact that he was not involved in 1966 coup can equally mean that he is not sympathetic to their cause?

Are you for real? Sympathetic ko sympathetic ni
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

Oh lord. Why must one have to explain everything?

Of what use is Awo's sympathies for the plotters if Awo was not in the military? Would Murtala have installed Awo as head of the military government?

I was responding to Joeyfire's comment that Gowon was not the most senior officer at the time of the coup. Murtala would not have executed a coup to install Ogundipe, Ojukwu, Ejoor, Adebayo, Njoku just because they were his seniors in rank. Gowon was accepted to the plotters because he was a Northerner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Those Celebrating APC Victory Are Celebrating Criminality - PDP / Antony J. Blinken To Visit Nigeria This Month / Senator Olamilekan Adeola Affirms Support For Bola Tinubu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.