Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,810 members, 7,813,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir (14300 Views)

There's A PDP Lawmaker Who Cant Spell Or Write His Name? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 9:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Ojukwu planned for war, he just didn't plan adequately. Did Ojukwu not utter these words - "on the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contact with the North, the answer is at the battlefield". Pre-1967, was there any nation that achieved independence without negotiation or force? Why would Ojukwu think that secession would not result in military action?

Gowon did implement the agreements at Aburi except the requirement from Ojukwu that the Regional Governors could not be fired by the Head of State. Ojukwu calculated that Gowon would fire him once the agreement was in place and preferred to go to war for that. Even the American diplomats praised Gowon for the extents he went in implementing the Aburi accord. Before the January coup, each region was able to elect its governor. Now when Ironsi appointed Ojukwu, why didn't Ojukwu insist on the people voting for their governor? If Ojukwu could be appointed by a military head of state, why should he insist on not being fired by a military head of state?
Appointing military governors does not mean they will serve forever. There is nothing to show that the governors Gen Ironsi appointed have permanently replaced the civilians.
Assuming, a state of emergency is declared in Bornu or Yobe and a military man appointed to handle the affairs of the affected state. Would you not understand why such a move was made:?.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Ojukwu planned for war, he just didn't plan adequately. Did Ojukwu not utter these words - "on the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contact with the North, the answer is at the battlefield". Pre-1967, was there any nation that achieved independence without negotiation or force? Why would Ojukwu think that secession would not result in military action?
If he actually made that comment, you have to take into cognisance the time, context and the prevailing circumstance of the period.

Gowon did implement the agreements at Aburi except the requirement from Ojukwu that the Regional Governors could not be fired by the Head of State. Ojukwu calculated that Gowon would fire him once the agreement was in place and preferred to go to war for that. Even the American diplomats praised Gowon for the extents he went in implementing the Aburi accord. Before the January coup, each region was able to elect its governor. Now when Ironsi appointed Ojukwu, why didn't Ojukwu insist on the people voting for their governor? If Ojukwu could be appointed by a military head of state, why should he insist on not being fired by a military head of state?

C'mon Gowon did not implement the Aburi agreement, Why is it hard for you to say things the way it is?

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 9:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

That's good! But your history teacher forgot to tell you that Awo secretly sent Akintola to negotiate with Balewa to form a coalition government while he was in active negotiation with Zik.
ignore the half literate boy

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Appointing military governors does not mean they will serve forever. There is nothing to show that the governors Gen Ironsi appointed have permanently replaced the civilians.
Assuming, a state of emergency is declared in Bornu or Yobe and a military man appointed to handle the affairs of the affected state. Would you not understand why such a move was made:?.

So if Gowon as Head of State couldn't fire Ojukwu, then who can fire Ojukwu? Ojukwu could have easily remained in office forever. Even if the rest of Nigeria returned to democracy, how would that have affected the Eastern region?

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

Someone who possibly didnt know about any coup until he was released and two coups have taken place would be sympathetic to which one?

You failed to answer my question. What evidence(s) does Katsumoto have to state boldly that Awolowo was not sympathetic to the cause of the coupists?

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:48pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Oh lord. Why must one have to explain everything?

Of what use is Awo's sympathies for the plotters if Awo was not in the military? Would Murtala have installed Awo as head of the military government?

I was responding to Joeyfire's comment that Gowon was not the most senior officer at the time of the coup. Murtala would not have executed a coup to install Ogundipe, Ojukwu, Ejoor, Adebayo, Njoku just because they were his seniors in rank. Gowon was accepted to the plotters because he was a Northerner.

Don't give me an impression that you are shying away from my question. According to you, Awo was not sympathetic to the cause of the coupists. I would want to accept that, but I want you to convince me with your evidence(s).

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ckkris: 9:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
baby_mama:

Is shuwa the same one that was gunned down in Maiduguri or so a few months ago by Boko haram?

Yes ! By their own Boko Haram.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

You failed to answer my question. What evidence(s) does Katsumoto have to state boldly that Awolowo was not sympathetic to the cause of the coupists?

The onus is on you to provide the evidence that he was sympathetic to their cause!
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:
If he actually made that comment, you have to take into cognisance the time, context and the prevailing circumstance of the period.

C'mon Gowon did not implement the Aburi agreement, Why is it hard for you to say things the way it is?

See below

Decree No. 8 of 1967

The main feature of this Decree in the vesting in the Supreme Military Council of both the legislative and executive powers of the Government of the Federation. The Federal Executive Council which has hitherto exercised these powers has now been divested of them and it is henceforth to discharge those functions that are specifically delegated to it by the Supreme Military Council. 2. In the exercise of these legislative and executive powers, the concurrence of the Head of the Federal Military Government and of all the Military Governors is, for the first time, made essential in respect of certain matters which are set out in section 69 (6) of the Constitution. These are, to mention a few, matters affecting or relating to trade, commerce, industry, transport, the Armed Forces, the Nigerian Police, Higher Education, and the territorial integrity of a Region and the provisions of the sections listed in the proviso to section 4 (1) of the Constitution. 3. On the other hand, the legislative and executive powers of the Regions have been fully restored and vested in their respective Military Governors. But the provisions of section 86 of the Constitution of the Federation ensure that no Region shall exercise its executive authority so as to impede or prejudice the exercise of the executive authority of the Federation or to endanger the continuance of federal government in Nigeria. 4. The provisions of section 70 of the Constitution of the Federation give powers to the Supreme Military Council to take over the executive and legislative functions of a Regional Government during any period of emergency which might be declared in respect of that Region by the Supreme Military Council, while those of section 71 give the Supreme Military Council power to take appropriate measures against a Region which attempts to secede from the rest of the Federation, or where the executive authority of the Region is being exercised in contravention of section 86 of the Constitution. 5. On the question of amendment to a Regional Constitution, section 5 of the Constitution of the Federation has been suitably modified to the effect that in respect of certain matters mentioned in the section like, the appointment, tenure of office and terms of service of High Court judges, the functions of the Public Service Commission, the establishment of a Consolidated Revenue Fund, etc., andy Edict made shall come into operation only with the concurrence of the Supreme Military Council. 6. The Advisory
Judicial Committee established under Decree no. 1 of 1966 and which before now tendered advice to the Supreme Military Council regarding
appointment of judges all over the Federation ahs been abolished.
Each Military Governor now controls appointment of judges of the High Court of his Region. But the appointment of the judges of both the Supreme Court of Nigeria and the High Court of Lagos is made the sole responsibility of the Supreme Military Council. 7. All appointments to posts in the superscale group 6 and above in the Public Service of the Federation and appointments to posts of Deputy Commissioner of Police and above in the Nigeria Police Force are now to be made by the Supreme Military Council. The functions formerly discharged under sections 110 and 146 of the Constitution of the Federation by the Federal Public Service Commission and the Police Service Commission respectively are now to that extent limited. 8. Appointments to the offices of Ambassador, High Commissioner and other principal representatives of the Republic in countries other than Nigeria are now, under the Decree, to be made by the Supreme Military Council.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

Don't give me an impression that you are shying away from my question. According to you, Awo was not sympathetic to the cause of the coupists. I would want to accept that, but I want you to convince me with your evidence(s).

Don't be silly, I said Awo's feelings were not relevant to the question Joeyfire posed. What is the relevance of Awo to any coup in 1966?

If you think that Awo's feelings are relevant, then elucidate further.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
@Katsumoto,

Would you want us to analyze the contents of the Aburi accord to see the agreements which were honoured and the ones which were not?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 9:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10: You failed to answer my question. What evidence(s) does Katsumoto have to state boldly that Awolowo was not sympathetic to the cause of the coupists?

The evidence is that Awo was in jail and didn't even know about any coup. How can anyone be sympathetic to something you don't know about?

What was this great "CAUSE" of these coupists?

Would Awolowo have been sympathetic to killing Balewa, Bello, Akintola Okotie-Eboh while sparing Okpara, Osadebey, Azikwe and every Ibo politician?

Your gues is as good as mine
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 9:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't be silly, I said Awo's feelings were not relevant to the question Joeyfire posed. What is the relevance of Awo to any coup in 1966?

If you think that Awo's feelings are relevant, then elucidate further.

Stop speaking grammar. I believe that my question is clear enough. But pls don't use foul language on me or else. . .
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by IGBOSON1: 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

You are a lost soul thats if you ever had any soul

They say discretion is the greater part of valor. A Man comes to your house with a gun and slaps you. Discretion dictates that you wait until you arm yourself or in a better placed position before you retaliate and make the retaliation very decisive

Ojuku in his thoughtlessness rushed to a war he didnt plan for and wasted 3million lives when he should have surrendered he continued and wasted 3million innocents. When its time for him to be held accountable he fled like a coward he is and left defenceless lives

His coffin raised, He was pardoned, got his military benefits, got to nyansh his friends daughter etc selfish gazillion stuffs, what about the millions he wasted with his brainlessness

^^^You really need to give up this charade of 'crying' over the millions of defenceless civilians (women, children and non-combatants) whose death can be traced directly to the doorstep of awo and adekunle.....your kinsmen; especially given the fact that you are always so quick to say how proud you are of their actions in killing millions of Igbo in cold blood (i trust you have your hilarious but inevitable 'black scorpion' pic ready? wink). Nobody is buying your crocodile tears or pretense to having even a shred of humanity and decency in your entire being. You positively reek of evil and malevolence mate, and as sure as there's a just God, you and your entire lineage will be paid in the same coin your kinsfolk (awo and adekunle) gave those innocent defenceless victims you take pleasure in mocking.....a hundred times over!

Cheers. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

"The federal government attempted to implement the Aburi agreement in diluted form by enacting a modified Constitution (Suspension and Modification) decree (decree cool which turned Nigeria into a de facto confederation, but which did not incorporate ALL of the agreements reached at Aburi. Federal civil servants argued that to implement all of the Aburi agreements would lead to the dissolution of the federation. ojukwu declined to accept the initial draft of the decree and insisted on a full and complete implementation of the Aburi accords.

As the weaker party, could ojukwu still have showed greater pragmatism to spare further suffering for his people? Even with its flaws, decree 8 gave him 90% of what he wanted. The U.S. State Department was “impressed by extent to which decree 8 appears to meet many of East's fundamental demands for much greater regional autonomy. While recognizing that it stops short of granting everything ojukwu wants, Dept. considers decree represents genuine effort by FMG and other Mil Govs to implement Aburi agreements and to retain Nigerian unity in form which least objectionable to East…..Consulate Enugu has reported that some prominent and moderate Easterners may incline toward above view".

WINNER TAKES ALL – NIGERIA’S MALAISE

In the “winner takes all” mentality that is so symptomatic of Nigerian politics, ojukwu unrealistically held out for 100% of his demands and in the end, received 0%. His refusal to be tactically flexible by considering options other than secession, placed him and his people in a worse position than they started in. Rather than turning Nigeria into a confederation (which is what decree 8 did), ojukwu’s give no inch stance gave the federal government an opportunity to overrun the Eastern Region, carve the country into several states and concentrate massive powers in the central government."

http://www.pointblanknews.com/Special_Reports/os4390.html

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10: @Katsumoto,

Would you want us to analyze the contents of the Aburi accord to see the agreements which were honoured and the ones which were not?
Did Gowon actually honour it?. Anyway, the most important ones were not honoured
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 10:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

The evidence is that Awo was in jail and didn't even know about any coup. How can anyone be sympathetic to something you don't know about?

What was this great "CAUSE" of these coupists?

Would Awolowo have been sympathetic to killing Balewa, Bello, Akintola Okotie-Eboh while sparing Okpara, Osadebey, Azikwe and every Ibo politician?

Your gues is as good as mine

All that is not even relevant to why Gowon was made head of state. Were the Northerners going to hand over to Awo if he sympathized with them?

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 10:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Did Gowon actually honour it?. Anyway, the most important ones were not honoured

Please tell us which ones were not honoured. We are all here to learn. I have stated what I believe to have been left out.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 10:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^You really need to give up this charade of 'crying' over the millions of defenceless civilians (women, children and non-combatants) whose death can be traced directly to the doorstep of awo and adekunle.....your kinsmen; especially given the fact that you are always so quick to say how proud you are of their actions in killing millions of Igbo in cold blood (i trust you have your hilarious but inevitable 'black scorpion' pic ready? wink). Nobody is buying your crocodile tears or pretense to having even a shred of humanity and decency in your entire being. You positively reek of evil and malevolence mate, and as sure as there's a just God, you and your entire lineage will be paid in the same coin your kinsfolk (awo and adekunle) gave those innocent defenceless victims you take pleasure in mocking.....a hundred times over!

Cheers. smiley

The lives of those killed are fully on Ojuku who declared the war to start with
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 10:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:

Exactly! that's why I frown at people who distort facts.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 10:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

and failed to surrender when it was obvious he was going to lose.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Tolexander: 10:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

Someone who possibly didnt know about any coup until he was released and two coups have taken place would be sympathetic to which one?

sympathetic with adrenaline or parasympathetic with acetylcholine
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 10:07pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

Please tell us which ones were not honoured. We are all here to learn. I have stated what I believe to have been left out.

By stating the one which was not honoured, you must have been in possession of the full agreement. Don't say "I believe" bro. The agreement were either honoured or not. There can be no in-between.

2 Likes

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

and failed to surrender when it was obvious he was going to lose.

yea, cheer him up. Birds of the same feather flock together.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 10:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

By stating the one which was not honoured, you must have been in possession of the full agreement. Don't say "I believe" bro. The agreement were either honoured or not. There can be no in-between.

Andre Uweh:

You chaps keep shouting Aburi accord. I have provided decree 8 which was to address Aburi, please intimate us of the Aburi provisions which were not implemented.

1 Like

Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by T9ksy(m): 10:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:

Please, can you etell us which part of the aburi accord, gowon failed to honour which necessitated ojukwu

gambling with millions of lives by going to war?
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

At what point did Ojukwu declare war?. Did he?.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by AndreUweh(m): 10:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
T9ksy:

Please, can you etell us which part of the aburi accord, gowon failed to honour which necessitated ojukwu

gambling with millions of lives by going to war?
The issue of conferderation was not implemented and Gowon did not show signs of implementing it.
Ojukwu did not go to war as he did not declare any war. Biafra was attacked, first by Shuwa of the fiorst division. Biafra defendeded her territories
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by dayokanu(m): 10:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:
At what point did Ojukwu declare war?. Did he?.

Secession from any country is a declaration of war. That was what caused the Balkan wars and the American civil war
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by Katsumoto: 10:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:
The issue of conferderation was not implemented and Gowon did not show signs of implementing it.
Ojukwu did not go to war as he did not declare any war. Biafra was attacked, first by Shuwa of the fiorst division. Biafra defendeded her territories

Please read decree 8 that I provided. Regional governments had the powers which they had before Ironsi's unification decree.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by ACM10: 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
Katsumoto:

You chaps keep shouting Aburi accord. I have provided decree 8 which was to address Aburi, please intimate us of the Aburi provisions which were not implemented.

How sure are you that decree 8 addressed Aburi agreement? If you are convinced within yourself that Aburi agreement was sufficiently addressed, then provide the full agreement and I will provide the one in my possession for us to analyze. Let's place your comment on the truth-o-meter.
Re: Why Gowon Can't Write His Memoir by IGBOSON1: 10:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
dayokanu:

^^^No they're not! Ojukwu was defending his people from bloodthirsty murderers and genocidal scum like the two devils you are so proud of. It is not for you (a well known Igbo hater and supporter of mass murder) to say when exactly Ojukwu should have given in to the wicked ethnic cleansing being carried out on his people by your heroes; i mean......just listen to yourself! shocked: awo and adekunle were busy carrying out the worst possible kind of acts on a people (pogrom), and you want to sit there and tell me that he should have given in to their wickedness to make them stop!?.....and in the same breath, you posit that adekunle and awo are saints?; just who the fuc/k are you kidding?

With the benefit of hindsight, i believe Ojukwu made some errors in fighting the evil that confronted us as a people, but the difference between him and your filthy gods is that his were mistakes not born out of wickedness, but a desire to protect his people and forestall the mayhem this 'united one Nigeria' is witnessing today; conversely, the actions of your heroes awo and adekunle were not mistakes, but deliberate actions borne out of hate, wickedness and a desire to annihilate an entire people whose only 'mistake' was not wanting to share the same country with your kind.

Go figure!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Buhari Approves Fresh Probe Into Missing Chibok Girls / Do South West Have Any Resources That Are Exported To Bring In Dollars For FG / Little WARRI Girl Success Adegor Invited By The US And UK.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.