Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? (7098 Views)

Is Mary The Mother Of God? / Praise Or Worship, Which One Do You Prefer? / Proof That Catholics Worship Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 9:40pm On Jun 30, 2013
shdemidemi:

If bowing before an image is not worship, 1.2 billion of you must have a vale covering your hearts. Show me where the bible tells you to make the image of Mary, then we can talk.

Joshua prostrated before images. Did he worship them?

Show me where the Bible said all you have said on this thread.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 9:43pm On Jun 30, 2013
italo:

In other words, you picked it up from Joshua. Right?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 9:57pm On Jun 30, 2013
shdemidemi:

In other words, you picked it up from Joshua. Right?

Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 10:03pm On Jun 30, 2013
italo:

Did you pick the act of bowing down before images from Joshua?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 10:05pm On Jun 30, 2013
Good night.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by candiva2013(m): 11:20am On Jul 01, 2013
shdemidemi:

That is what faith is,if you are not happy with that definition you can define yours. I don't need to check the dictionary meaning.
Guy, you are very funny.

Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 1:10pm On Jul 01, 2013
Lol grin
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by Wizemmanuel(m): 1:19pm On Jul 01, 2013
Jesus said "i am the way the truth and the light no one comes to my father except through me"
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 1:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
The Roman Catholic compiled the bible so they can redefine the scripture----italo's conviction
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by SalC: 1:37pm On Jul 01, 2013
shdemidemi: The Roman Catholic compiled the bible so they can redefine the scripture----italo's conviction
Where did Italo say so

shocked grin
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by SalC: 1:38pm On Jul 01, 2013
candiva2013: Guy, you are very funny.
Really funny.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
Sal C: Where did Italo say so

shocked grin

You need to go through our posts, if you can't figure that out through his argument. Tough, I can't spoon feed you on this one.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by SalC: 2:50pm On Jul 01, 2013
shdemidemi:

You need to go through our posts, if you can't figure that out through his argument. Tough, I can't spoon feed you on this one.
Spoon feed who?
You are the one who is in need of serious spoon feeding and I can help out.

You brought the idea of proving everything from the scriptures but fell to do so when it was required of you.

You brought the idea of not bowing before images; terming it worship, then a simply question that begs for an honest and simple answer was asked "Joshua bowed before an image; does that translate to worship?"

Where did redefinition of scripture come into play here?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2013
Sal C: Spoon feed who?
You are the one who is in need of serious spoon feeding and I can help out.

You brought the idea of proving everything from the scriptures but fell to do so when it was required of you.

You brought the idea of not bowing before images; terming it worship, then a simply question that begs for an honest and simple answer was asked "Joshua bowed before an image; does that translate to worship?"

Where did redefinition of scripture come into play here?

We can only have a discussion if we both believe the bible is the standard ...anything outside the bible is a no go area.

why did Peter prevent cornelius from bowing to him?

Like I asked the other guy, did the Roman Catholic pick the act of bowing before images through Joshua?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by candiva2013(m): 5:49pm On Jul 01, 2013
shdemidemi:

We can only have a discussion if we both believe the bible is the standard ...anything outside the bible is a no go area.

why did Peter prevent cornelius from bowing to him?

Like I asked the other guy, did the Roman Catholic pick the act of bowing before images through Joshua?
We the Catholics do not bow to Mary, we keep her statue as a mark of remembrance. We also honour her as she is honoured in the bible. Have u forgotten that it was Mary that made JESUS perform HIS first miracle? When JESUS said that the time given by HIS FATHER in heaven has not come, HE later performed the miracle by turning water into wine. HE did that because HIS mother(MARY) insisted. If JESUS can listen to Mary there ignoring the time HIS FATHER gave HIM then it is a lesson to u and I that it is also Good to honour Mary, it is also not wrong to ask her to interceed on our behalf. After all u people also ask ur pastors to pray 4 u, ur pastors are not even sure of their relationship with GOD. Yet they pray 4 u, most people have the pictures of their so called men of God as the screen saver on their phones and also have these pictures hung in their rooms. DOES IT MEAN THAT U ALSO WORSHIP THESE MEN WHO DO NOT EVEN HAVE A SHURE BET OF GOING TO HEAVEN. U guys are just common hypocristes, may GOD help u come to terms with the truth. Lastly, it is only a foolish child that can say that his father does not know how to impregnate a woman. Christianity came from catholics and they also presented the bible to the world, therefore u and ur pastors can not interpret it better. Quit fallacy
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 8:41pm On Jul 01, 2013
candiva2013: We the Catholics do not bow to Mary, we keep her statue as a mark of remembrance. We also honour her as she is honoured in the bible. Have u forgotten that it was Mary that made JESUS perform HIS first miracle? When JESUS said that the time given by HIS FATHER in heaven has not come, HE later performed the miracle by turning water into wine. HE did that because HIS mother(MARY) insisted. If JESUS can listen to Mary there ignoring the time HIS FATHER gave HIM then it is a lesson to u and I that it is also Good to honour Mary, it is also not wrong to ask her to interceed on our behalf.

That is definitely not enough to have her statue for memorial. Even if you think otherwise, what is the spiritual impact of the act? Did the bible actually say you should? Who else honoured Mary after the death of Christ (@ the birth of the church)

candiva2013:

After all u people also ask ur pastors to pray 4 u, ur pastors are not even sure of their relationship with GOD. Yet they pray 4 u, most people have the pictures of their so called men of God as the screen saver on their phones and also have these pictures hung in their rooms. DOES IT MEAN THAT U ALSO WORSHIP THESE MEN WHO DO NOT EVEN HAVE A SHURE BET OF GOING TO HEAVEN. U guys are just common hypocristes, may GOD help u come to terms with the truth. Lastly, it is only a foolish child that can say that his father does not know how to impregnate a woman. Christianity came from catholics and they also presented the bible to the world, therefore u and ur pastors can not interpret it better. Quit fallacy

What people? I am definitely not one of the people you are referring to.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 5:40am On Jul 02, 2013
shdemidemi:

Where did the Bible ever say this?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by styno22(m): 7:55am On Jul 02, 2013
How do u feel if d mother dat gave birth to u is not respected? Mother mary gave birth to the saviour of the world. It is wise to respect and honour her. It very wrong not to honour her in our churches, it simply means we don't respect d mother of jesus. If God can give her d honour to carry jesus christ in her womb, who are we not to honour her.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 8:11am On Jul 02, 2013
styno22: How do u feel if d mother dat gave birth to u is not respected? Mother mary gave birth to the saviour of the world. It is wise to respect and honour her. It very wrong not to honour her in our churches, it simply means we don't respect d mother of jesus. If God can give her d honour to carry jesus christ in her womb, who are we not to honour her.

Anyone could have carried Jesus, Mary found grace according to the scriptures to be the path that Christ will come through. There is no spiritual connection between them, she is like you and me. If she does not fulfil the criteria towards salvation at that dispensation, she would not be saved.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 8:15am On Jul 02, 2013
italo:

Where did the Bible ever say this?

Did I say to you that I was quoting the bible?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 8:18am On Jul 02, 2013
shdemidemi:

Anyone could have carried Jesus, Mary found grace according to the scriptures to be the path that Christ will come through. There is no spiritual connection between them, she is like you and me. If she does not fulfil the criteria towards salvation at that dispensation, she would not be saved.

So your mother is just an incubator and a vessel through which you came into the world and there is no spiritual connection between you?

Do you know that there is a spiritual connection between all children of God?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 8:20am On Jul 02, 2013
shdemidemi:

Did I say to you that I was quoting the bible?

You said we should not believe what is not in the Bible. So why do you believe what is not in the Bible?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 8:27am On Jul 02, 2013
italo:

You said we should not believe what is not in the Bible. So why do you believe what is not in the Bible?

Let me help you here, anything contrary or anything that as no precedence from the bible, especially the epistles written to the church by Paul should not be accepted.

Gal 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 8:39am On Jul 02, 2013
shdemidemi:

Let me help you here, anything contrary or anything that as no precedence from the bible, especially the epistles written to the church by Paul should not be accepted.

Gal 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed

Most of St Paul's preaching were done by word of mouth, not by writing...and definitely not in the Bible.

Infact there were many things St Paul would not put in writing but would only preach when he visited in person.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by candiva2013(m): 8:46am On Jul 02, 2013
shdemidemi:

That is definitely not enough to have her statue for memorial. Even if you think otherwise, what is the spiritual impact of the act? Did the bible actually say you should? Who else honoured Mary after the death of Christ (@ the birth of the church)

What people? I am definitely not one of the people you are referring to.
Even the bible says in luke that Mary is blessed among women, are these not words of reverence inspired by GOD? If jesus can listen to Mary it means alot, as a christian u need to follow the foot step of christ. If Mary is less important as u think, JESUS wouldn't have cut short his waiting for HIS FATHER'S time for miracles just to obey her. After all the bible did not say u should cut or fix ur hair, but u do it. The bible did not say we should conduct elections but u also take part in it. Show me where everything u do is written in the bible. U are even arguing but the bible never instruct us to argue. I want to let u know that lessons ard drawn from events in the bible.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 8:47am On Jul 02, 2013
italo:

Most of St Paul's preaching were done by word of mouth, not by writing...and definitely not in the Bible.

Infact there were many things St Paul would not put in writing but would only preach when he visited in person.

Very correct, that takes us to the gift of prophesy been talked about in

1 cor 13
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Prophesy here is different from what prophets did in the old testament, it means teaching here- Paul was not alone in the teaching of the word, he sets up the church and he leaves. There were people that had the gift of knowledge and of teaching what Paul taught before the epistles were printed.
Ultimately the epistles have all the doctrines we need as a church.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 9:01am On Jul 02, 2013
shdemidemi:
Ultimately the epistles have all the doctrines we need as a church.

Is this what God said? If so, show me. If not, where did you get it from?
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 9:04am On Jul 02, 2013
italo:

Is this what God said? If so, show me. If not, where did you get it from?

Did I tell you I was quoting God?

I can see the bible is full hence I do not need new revelations from any where.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 9:06am On Jul 02, 2013
Oh, I thought you only preach God's word.

Now I know you are preaching personal opinion.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 9:11am On Jul 02, 2013
italo: Oh, I thought you only preach God's word.

Now I know you are preaching personal opinion.

If you say so, it is only a thought, remember you can't rely on thoughts/emotions. By the time you understand, may be your thought would change.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by italo: 9:13am On Jul 02, 2013
My thought has definitely changed. Now I know you preach your personal opinion.
Re: Is It Right To Honour Or Worship Mary The Mother Of Jesus? by shdemidemi(m): 9:20am On Jul 02, 2013
italo: My thought has definitely changed. Now I know you preach your personal opinion.

ok, you actually know in parts. Your knowledge or mine can never be a standard, you can discard anything you find to be my opinion by telling me what the opinion of God is through the scriptures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If Evolution Was True! / Tell Me The Religion Of Adam, Etc, The Religion Of Jesus. / New Atheists Are Not Intellectually Bright, Philosophers Agree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.