Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law (24239 Views)

Buhari Asks Jonathan To Resign Over Insecurity / Ex-militants Urge Uduaghan To Sign Anti-terrorism Bill / Jonathan Sign Anti Terrorism/money Laundering Bill!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Kay17: 6:59am On Jul 09, 2013
The grounds for legislating this "law" are shaky. The premises are built on viral religious ideas. The concept of human rights got its shape in resisting the Crown and the Church's extrajudicial powers. The rights to free thought and conscience is directly in opposition to state religions.

The first immigrants to the United States were heretics banished and condemned by the Church, hence the US constitution and all other subsequent secular constitutions stressed on the separation of Church from State.

Religions are personal matters, the question of who is a devil or demon or not is a personal matter, the particulars of religious doctrines are personal matters

This anti-gay law is built on Judeo-Christian prejudices, it does not reflect the multiculturality of Nigeria. There is more tolerance for homosexuality in our times that ever. Homosexuality is even infused with religious doctrines (given the number of gay pastors), done in privacy and it is a premeditation that it is branded as a thought crime to prosecute it.

It is almost impossible explain how homosexuality as practiced in privacy is harmful to society

3 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by tony9k: 7:01am On Jul 09, 2013
It is a fallacy for people to assume that all supporters of gay marriage are gay themselves. Much as I do not support the way the concept of gay relationship is introduced in the western world ( with virtusl carjolling prople to try it as part of expressing their sexuality)I find the position of most Nigerians rather hypocritical. The sanction for gay relationship appears to be killing an ant with a hammer. The major issue with the defence of gay relationship is fundamental human rights. The bible condemns per marital sex but you don't jail people who indulge in it. There is a moral imperative in not engaging in per marital sex but there is no legal sanction for it (especially if it is done safely by consenting adults). Nigeria however has a long way to go in protecting the rights of vulnerable people - children, disabled aged poor etc so the issue of freedom is alien to us. The government/religious leaders should face fundamental problems facing the country instead of focusing on people's personal choices.

If there was a choice between the western world treatment and nigeria's, I will prefer the former.

By the way the act itself seems abnormal to me and I can never engage in it. I also pray the people connected to me do not BUT we should pray for and counsel people involved and not make it a criminal act especially as nigeria is a secular state. Let gays be.

2 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Ikbobby(m): 7:01am On Jul 09, 2013
funshybam: ....and how is it your problem if a man marries a man? i find it difficult to believe we trample on some peoples right.....or will the gay force you to be his/ her partners ?

rubbish
gay!!!!! Mtscheeewww
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Adamskuty(m): 7:03am On Jul 09, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

I wouldnt do that if i was you....It could be your own child that turns out gay....then you would have to deal with the

reality....I strongly recommend you take your words back...
how i wish ur parents were gays,u wouldn't be here typing trash! U m0r0n

u shouldn't even be in existance at all!
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by lovelydoll: 7:07am On Jul 09, 2013
Adamskuty: how i wish ur parents were gays,u wouldn't be here typing trash! U m0r0n

being gay does not stop them from having kids. there are many ways to have kids without sex,with the opposite gender.

2 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Emade(m): 7:09am On Jul 09, 2013
he better sign the bill o who won marry he kind make leave the country 4 us ooooooooooooo
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by ablyguy(m): 7:10am On Jul 09, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:10am On Jul 09, 2013
I HAVE A DREAM...

Many demons on this thread are going to JAIL for 14 years

GEJ, sign the bill or join them!

GOD is still in NIGERIA!

1 Like

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Kay17: 7:10am On Jul 09, 2013
Emade: he better sign the bill o who won marry he kind make leave the country 4 us ooooooooooooo

Exact layman thinking!
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 09, 2013
Adamskuty: how i wish ur parents were gays,u wouldn't be here typing trash! U m0r0n

interesting..why are you so focused on my post?....are you having homosexual feelings towards me?

2 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by akereconfi: 7:15am On Jul 09, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

your reasoning is very strange...

You tink u are following trends, you tink you are smart with God, you tink there is no one UP there looking @ u, you tink in this world u were born by chance. Why not have a deep thought. If ur dad married a man....will u be here, or lemme say u shud hv been adopted. Even if they wanted to adopt u....u will still b a product of the union of a male n female. I believe in one God, I dnt know what you believe in and am sure that Almighty God I believe in have good plans for you. Life is not all about, books, study, hardwork. They mystery of this world is way beyond your comprehension. Insulting our God will do you no good.
Please Sir, I beg you in the name of Jehovah. Please dnt address him the way you do, it pains me when I go tru ur sentence.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 09, 2013
akereconfi:

You tink u are following trends, you tink you are smart with God, you tink there is no one UP there looking @ u, you tink in this world u were born by chance. Why not have a deep thought. If ur dad married a man....will u be here, or lemme say u shud hv been adopted. Even if they wanted to adopt u....u will still b a product of the union of a male n female. I believe in one God, I dnt know what you believe in and am sure that Almighty God I believe in have good plans for you. Life is not all about, books, study, hardwork. They mystery of this world is way beyond your comprehension. Insulting our God will do you no good.
Please Sir, I beg you in the name of Jehovah. Please dnt address him the way you do, it pains me when I go tru ur sentence.
Thanks

I dont understand your post...are you begging me for mercy?

3 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 09, 2013
Cori_corde: You'd better let gay men marry each other. If not, they'll take all the few good women wink
Can a gay feel attracted to a woman? Btw i swallowed magnet because my gf said i am not attractive.
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by CALLMESTAR(f): 7:20am On Jul 09, 2013
Glorified_Tunde: I HAVE A DREAM...

GOD is still in NIGERIA!
@bolded
are you sure?? I don't think so because since I left Nigeria and moved to Canada my light has not gone off once.
There are jobs here for people
I have not been bombed to death
The country is beautiful
The country is developed and keeps DEVELOPING DAILY unlike Naija.
The country is not a sh.it hole, unlike Naija
here people are always happy and are hardly sad, unlike Naija where no one smiles at you and where there is always someone that has died
And mind you homosexuality is legal in EVERY province in Canada, i.e homosexuality is legal in Canada

5 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 09, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

I dont understand your post...are you begging me for mercy?
he is just asking you to be less insultive and WATCH IT
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Kay17: 7:22am On Jul 09, 2013
akereconfi:

Thanks

What does God have to do with what a neighbour does?

1 Like

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 09, 2013
Glorified_Tunde: I HAVE A DREAM...

GOD is still in NIGERIA!

and this God of yours that is still in Nigeria.....must be one poor..useless God to live in that dump....where he can live

in the U.S comfortably....I dont know which poverty God you are serving but ill sugget you get another one...this one is

doesn't care about you..

2 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by obyrich(m): 7:25am On Jul 09, 2013
mens dept: Its the right thing for a change (coming from this Rev).

Obama coming to AFrica to tell them to consider being gay is just funny. He knew it, but is acting on what his supporters wanted him to do. Period.
Obama knows he cant come to Nigeria to spew that thrash. That's why he has been avoiding us. He should grant all gays in Nigeria automatic visa to the US. He cant tell us how we shall govern ourselves. The leaders and the majority of Nigerians vehemently oppose homosexuality. That's how it is and how it will ever be!
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 09, 2013
CALLMESTAR:
@bolded
are you sure?? I don't think so because since I left Nigeria and moved to Canada my light has not gone off once.
Here are jobs here for people
I have not been bombed to death
The country is beautiful
The country is develped and keeps DEVELOPING DAILY unlike Naija.
The country is not a sh.it hole, unlike Naija
here people are always happy and are hardly sad, unlike Naija where no one smiles at you and where there is always someone that has died
And mind you homosexuality is legal in EVERY province in Canada, i.e homosexuality is legal in Canada
Nigerians are happy people, but yes they are unhappy with the level of corruption in the country, especially in the government. Signing gay marriage into law won't make Nigerians ultra happy. We have basic things to worry about for now, things ain't related to gay marriage. Talk about insecurity, constant power supply, quality education, youth empowerment/employment, good roads et all. We know our priorities, gay marriage ain't our concern for now, please?

2 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 09, 2013
cold: The sexuality of Jesus Christ is queried.

Was Jesus queer? We don't know. But it is a possibility that cannot be ruled out. One version of St. Mark's gospel - which is still the subject of academic dispute - alludes to Jesus having a homosexual relationship with a youth he raised from the dead.According to the US Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) includes the passage:"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God" grin.The veracity of this manuscript is hotly contested by other Biblical scholars. This comes as no surprise. The revelation of a gay Jesus would undermine some of the most fundamental tenets of orthodox Christianity, including its rampant homophobia.But even if the text is genuine, does this ambiguous, elliptical passage offer evidence of Jesus's homosexuality? It is hard to say. The precise nature of the relationship between Christ and the youth is not spelled out. Sexual relations are suggested but not explicitly stated.The Morton Smith document is, in fact, irrelevant to the vexed issue of Christ's sexual orientation. What we can say for certain is that the standard, accepted Biblical narrative gives us no information at all about Jesus's sexuality.This absence of firm information does not, of course, mean that we can take it for granted that Christ was heterosexual. Far from it! The lack of information about his erotic inclinations begs more questions than it answers.The truth is that we simply don't know whether Jesus was straight, gay, bisexual or celibate. There is certainly no evidence for the Church's unspoken presumption that he was either heterosexual or devoid of carnal desires. Since nothing in the Bible points to Christ having erotic feelings for women, or relationships with the female sex, the possibility of him being gay cannot be discounted.In the absence of any evidence - [b]let alone proof - that Jesus was heterosexual, the theological basis of Church homophobia is all the more shaky and indefensible. How can established religion dare denounce homosexuality when the founder of its faith was himself a man of mysterious, unknown sexuality who could, for all we know, have been homosexual?The Bible tells us that Jesus was born a man and therefore presumably had male sexual feelings. It would have been more or less impossible, biologically, for him not to have an element of erotic arousal - even if only having the normal male response of waking with an erection [/b]
for you mind nah u dey intelligent,if u wan talk rubbish leave jesus out of it,maka ndu gi{for the sake of your life}
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 09, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

actually you can have five wives in the U.S..just go to Utah they will allow you to do it...each state has it's own

marriage laws....so are you happy now? can gay rights be shoved down your throat now?
i'm not Mormon and I want it in New York and Washington D.c
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Raypawer(m): 7:28am On Jul 09, 2013
funshybam: ....and how is it your problem if a man marries a man? i find it difficult to believe we trample on some peoples right.....or will the gay force you to be his/ her partners ?

rubbish

dirty gay!
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 09, 2013
maxwello.yg:

he is just asking you to be less insultive and WATCH IT

instead of begging me to pander to his hyper sensitive self...why dont he just take his azzz of nairaland if hes so

offended? after all...why is he defending God? God knows where to find me if hes offended by my nairaland post...silly people..

1 Like

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Omoswags(m): 7:29am On Jul 09, 2013
cold: Whilst I have personal reservations about the whole gay furore,i find it difficult to fathom why the anti-gay stance is predicated mainly on the premise of religion. Jesus never got married,walked around with 12 men,wore flowing gowns without underpants. Hmm..Ok,i'll say no more

May God punish Judge you.
It's not everything you fool yourself with. I'm guessing you are of the boko haram religion.
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by sarutobie(m): 7:29am On Jul 09, 2013
tony9k: It is a fallacy for people to assume that all supporters of gay marriage are gay themselves. Much as I do not support the way the concept of gay relationship is introduced in the western world ( with virtusl carjolling prople to try it as part of expressing their sexuality)I find the position of most Nigerians rather hypocritical. The sanction for gay relationship appears to be killing an ant with a hammer. The major issue with the defence of gay relationship is fundamental human rights. The bible condemns per marital sex but you don't jail people who indulge in it. There is a moral imperative in not engaging in per marital sex but there is no legal sanction for it (especially if it is done safely by consenting adults). Nigeria however has a long way to go in protecting the rights of vulnerable people - children, disabled aged poor etc so the issue of freedom is alien to us. The government/religious leaders should face fundamental problems facing the country instead of focusing on people's personal choices.

If there was a choice between the western world treatment and nigeria's, I will prefer the former.

By the way the act itself seems abnormal to me and I can never engage in it. I also pray the people connected to me do not BUT we should pray for and counsel people involved and not make it a criminal act especially as nigeria is a secular state. Let gays be.
You made some logical points..but using the west's stance on such an issue as a yardstick is off the mark..some european countries have legalised bestiality I guess you will support that since its their sexuality,their right? You even said you pray not to have your relations indulge in such act..you said they need counseling.why? if I may ask..do you counsel someone for something that is perfectly normal and alright?.Homosexuality and even bestiality has been in existence for so long(the bible attested to it) but that does NOT make the act right! What is my stance? As a follower of Christ Jesus, treat them with love and if possible try to bring them out of the act BUT do not expect the law(in Nigeria) to make it legal...something that is abnormal isn't right.

1 Like

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:30am On Jul 09, 2013
obyrich: Obama knows he cant come to Nigeria to spew that thrash. That's why he has been avoiding us. He should grant all gays in Nigeria automatic visa to the US. He cant tell us how we shall govern ourselves. The leaders and the majority of Nigerians vehemently oppose homosexuality. That's how it is and how it will ever be!

Dude if Obama grants all gays in Nigeria free visa to U.S...your dad will claim hes gay...just to get in..

3 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:30am On Jul 09, 2013
obyrich: Obama knows he cant come to Nigeria to spew that thrash. That's why he has been avoiding us. He should grant all gays in Nigeria automatic visa to the US. He cant tell us how we shall govern ourselves. The leaders and the majority of Nigerians vehemently oppose homosexuality. That's how it is and how it will ever be!
I wonder o....since we are now independent no country should tell us what to do and things to legalize. We ourselves can make our laws on our own. 80Percent Nigerians support anti-gay marriage and that is all we need, majority carries the vote..Afterall, majority is democracy and that's what we wanna have-True Democracy.

1 Like

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by eherbal(m): 7:31am On Jul 09, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Nigeria still has a long way to go before it truly becomes a civilized nation....What these pastors or religious leaders

and politicians don't understand is that Homosexuals and homosexual activist are not asking for equal rights in churches

and mosques..they are asking for equal rights under the law as a citizen of a country which is their right. It is their

right as a citizen of Nigeria to be protected under the law..regardless of who they like to have sex with.
Nigeria is not

govern by the bible or Quran its govern by a constitution which guarantees all citizens equal rights. Politics and

religion have nothing in common....with laws like this and if politicians continue to allow religious leaders to influence

the laws...Nigeria will forever remain an irrelevant third world country lead by caveman..
our constitution is fashioned after our norms. It is an alien practice. Oil and water will never mix. By the way, I recommend burning at the stakes. The idea of sending them to jail will allow for them to initiate inmates into the illicit act. Men,I just can't imagine what these sick leprechauns enjoy in their itimacy. Imagine a maniless with poo and goo. Even dogs know better. So therefore, Mr knowitall, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU PRACTICE, SICK PERVangry[
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by VenOmswiftTM(m): 7:35am On Jul 09, 2013
mgbeketoto:

BIA NU LEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEE. . . BIA NU LEEEEEEEEEE!!!
COME AND SEE THE AN-US OF JESUS O! cheesy

. . . .And the 'mystery of the kingdom of GOD. . . = . . . JESUS IM BLOKOS INSIDE THE 'YOUTH' IM AN-US! cheesy

A so-called savior that moved around with 12 men without PANTS! grin
Disciple ko. . . APOSTLE ni!
Bunch of faghots!
Born of an ashswo plus 'HOLY GHOST'. . . .

What do we expect? grin

So CHRISTIANS have been worshipping a pedo-philic MALE PROST-ITUTE? Going around TOMBS AND GRAVE-YARDS AROUND GALILEE. . . .phocking DEAD and RESURRECTED. . . .'rich, young male gays who prolly died of AIDS? cheesy

Mu che che che che che
Sir, i'm really glad meeting someone like you on here. It's a pleasure. All i got to say to you is 'JESUS LOVES YOU'. You know the amazing thing? He doesn't even consider these grave insults! Can you beat that? Can any human do that? NO! I also don't care about any insult this post might result to cause i'm renewed. You too can be Better than me! JESUS STILL LOVES YOU....

3 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 09, 2013
e-herbal:
our constitution is fashioned after our norms. It is an alien practice. Oil and water will never mix. By the way, I recommend burning at the stakes. The idea of sending them to jail will allow for them to initiate inmates into the illicit act. Men,I just can't imagine what these sick leprechauns enjoy in their itimacy. Imagine a maniless with poo and goo. Even dogs know better. So therefore, Mr knowitall, YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHAT YOU PRACTICE, SICK PERVangry[

Of course i must be gay right? because of your lack of intelligent and inability to have a proper debate about the

subject...you have to accuse me of being gay....

3 Likes

Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 09, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

instead of begging me to pander to his hyper sensitive self...why dont he just take his azzz of nairaland if hes so

offended? after all...why is he defending God? God knows where to find me if hes offended by my nairaland post...silly people..
I repeat, he is not defending God, he is telling you to be less insultive, afterall you can make vivid points with no insult at all.
If I insult Budha, tell me why their priest won't sacrifice me to their god just to appease him?
Same way, if I dare insult Mohammed, tell me why Moslems won't bomb the hell outta me like they do always. Everybody that practises religion just does not like it when people insult his g(G)od.
Anyway, since you are ready to face God if He approaches you, do not cry for mercy if He ever decides to punish you.
Re: Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 09, 2013
Gay, you can do whatever you like, my own be say, no near me or my pikin sad I don talk my own

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

VP Osinbajo Leads Nigerian Delegation To World Economic Forum In South Africa / Policewoman Demanding N100 In Video Is Arrested / I Have Not Visited Buhari In London – Idris, IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.