Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha (45639 Views)

Ex Governor Abubakar Audu Renders Wife And Kids Homeless In Sub-zero Temperature / Ex Governor Abubakar Audu Renders Wife And Kids Homeless In Sub-zero Temperature / Homeless In America, Whose Fault Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by 0key: 4:36am On Jul 25, 2013
With this kind of inflammatory statements made, it's obvious that Nigeria can never b one. There will be endless hatred b/w d Igbo and Yoruba which will certainly lead to terrible crises in future. since water and oil cannot mix together, they are not meant to be in one country.

Fashola is a tribalist and he will definitely reap his fruit of discord when the time comes. It will surely happen!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by manny4life(m): 4:41am On Jul 25, 2013
I did not know that interstate deportation was legal, well let's see how Gov Obi will react to this. Gov Fashola is gradually setting the fire that will burn nonstop. Now is the time for the FG to use executive authority over this man because by the time other states follow, there will be serious anarchy in the country.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by ak47mann(m): 4:44am On Jul 25, 2013
0key: With this kind of inflammatory statements made, it's obvious that Nigeria can never b one. There will be endless hatred b/w d Igbo and Yoruba which will certainly lead to terrible crises in future. since water and oil cannot mix together, they are not meant to be in one country.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 25, 2013
0key: With this kind of inflammatory statements made, it's obvious that Nigeria can never b one. There will be endless hatred b/w d Igbo and Yoruba which will certainly lead to terrible crises in future. since water and oil cannot mix together, they are not meant to be in one country.

Fashola is a tribalist and he will definitely reap his fruit of discord when the time comes. It will surely happen!

Really, were you asleep when Fashola sent non-lagoshian yorubas to their homestate?

Were ibos on nl not rejoicing and making levity of the situation?

Nigeria will never be one because of hypocritical bigots like ibos that claim Lagos and yet call Lagos insult Lagos. Many of these almijiris are even on nl causing chaos embarassed

For a boastful and self acclaimed rich ppl on nl, what's so hard about welcoming your people home?

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 4:48am On Jul 25, 2013
Eko Atlantic: I'm not against this because of hundreds of crimes ibos bring from their states to SW, hence increasing crime rate in southwest.

The briton that was kidnapped in Lagos on Monday was the handiwork of the ibos, same with the wife of one honorable like that in one of the SW states.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201307240347.html/

Shame on you dude....

@topic deportation init? Lol Naija
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by birdman(m): 4:55am On Jul 25, 2013
manny4life: I did not know that interstate deportation was legal, well let's see how Gov Obi will react to this. Gov Fashola is gradually setting the fire that will burn nonstop. Now is the time for the FG to use executive authority over this man because by the time other states follow, there will be serious anarchy in the country.

open your eyes. we are already in anarchy. Why hasn't Punch gotten LASG's side of the story. I call bs on this story - there is no way people are being randomly deported
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by smudge2079(m): 4:59am On Jul 25, 2013
hahahaha...comedy @ it peak

1 Like

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by olapluto(m): 5:07am On Jul 25, 2013
This is not new. Lagos started by 'deporting' mad men to Ibadan. When Oyo Government woke up, Lagos was warned and the destitute infestation stopped. Now its Anambra turn. One day, there will be no where to dump them but at Aso rock. Maybe the mother of the nation can feed them with our 1B food allowance.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 5:10am On Jul 25, 2013
They must bé abokis in disguise. There is no such thing as an ibo beggar. They are far too industrious for that. All ibos make money whereever they go and immediately start buying land

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Maxymilliano(m): 5:19am On Jul 25, 2013
Pius Adesanmi

I just heard with one ear that the Government of Lagos State has dumped human cargo in Onitsha - after detaining some of them for almost six months.

In other words, one state just wakes up and decides that there are Nigerians within her borders who are undesirable elements and proceeds to deport those Nigerians within Nigeria.

First it was Abia state waking up and deporting non-indigenous workers to fellow eastern states. Now it's Lagos broadening the parametres to anybody deemed a destitute. Given that we have refused to restructure things and are keeping the asphyxiating Federal shape and form of Lord Lugard's zoo cage as is, should these deportations be possible?

I guess I must tender an unreserved apology to Julius Berger. After seeing the human cargo trailers with which they transport their Nigerian wage labourers to work in Abuja, I wrote a bitter article condemning that Western practice of doing things in Africa that they would not do at home. I had asked: would Julius Berger cargo her wage labourers in Germany the way they sardine their human cargo back and forth in broad daylight in Nigeria? Now, see what one state is doing to fellow Nigerians within Nigeria.

The action of Lagos state reminds me of the reflections of a French colonial police officer in Tropical Circle, a novel by prominent Guinean novelist, Alioum Fantoure. Taking one contemptuous look at a newly independent African country already in the throes of the sanguinary dictatorship of one of Francophone Africa’s famous Fathers of the Nation, the white police man declares that one thing that has baffled him to no end in all the decades he has spent serving in Africa is that Africans are capable of inflicting injuries on fellow Africans way beyond the imagination of even the most wicked white colonialist. You are capable of doing to yourselves things we would never think of doing. “You, Africans, brew your own poison from within”, the French policeman concludes.

The way I see it, Julius Berger's human cargo of Nigerian workers is benign poison while Raji Fashola's human cargo of fellow Nigerians is the real 'ota pia pia' poison.

Please let the lawyers enlighten us: does any part of our constitution allow a state to declare that some Nigerians are too poor to live within her borders? And when next we are talking about the treatment of Nigerians in South Africa, let me not hear 'pim' from Lagosians until they rein in their yeye state government. Their state government is working from the same playbook as the South Africans: demonizing the other and dumping every imaginable socio-economic problem on her back. Ah, those Nigerians are taking all our jobs, are all drug traffickers, are taking all our women, area strain on public resources, are the cause of every post-apartheid dysfunction in South Africa, etc.

Lagos State Government echoes this South African song and applies it to fellow Nigerians. Lagos may as well create Lagos state consulates in all state capitals in Nigeria so that Nigerians can apply for entry visa when going to Lagos. And while we are at it, the officials of Lagos must be told that there is something racist and leveling about dumping everybody in Onitsha. You don't just assume that every Igbo you round up because you say he is destitute or insane is from Anambra.

There is something called human dignity. You don't just dump people at the other end of a bridge and say: sort out yourselves. That's like the racist French deporting everybody to Bamako because one African in every African is Malian. If one state government feels that citizens of another state are putting enormous strain on her resources in a federating nation,there is such a thing as officials of both states sitting down to brainstorm and tackle the problem.

Deportation should never be in the picture. I wish those deportees had a good pro bono lawyer who could ask the Supreme Court to determine whether Lagos State has the right to deport Nigerians within Nigeria for possession of nothing (aka poverty).
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by dayokanu(m): 5:25am On Jul 25, 2013
Dem return you back to your fertile land, the Japan and Dubai of Africa and lamentation start.

Lagos does not want you wretched asss. Go back to your village. Simple

Some people are funny asking what Peter Obi would say? What does he want to say other than to mew like a woman who drank hot oil.

Anyone who doesnt like it should stay back in his village buncha leeches

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by dayokanu(m): 5:26am On Jul 25, 2013
Onlytruth: Anyway on a very serious note, Fashola is playing with fire.
My main concern is what Gov Obi would do in response to this idiotic act by a fake SAN.
He is not powerless at all. In fact because of presidential politics of 2015, and because Obi is leaving office next year, he can make all kinds of trouble for ANYbody who fails to address this issue.
He is only limited by his ability to make trouble. Even governor Orji of Abia would address this issue better than Obi.

Peter Obi ko, Psquare obi ni

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 25, 2013
Waste of time. They will simply take the next bus going back to Lagos. ONE NIGERIA !!!!!
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 5:30am On Jul 25, 2013
Waste of time. They will simply take the next bus going back to Lagos. ONE NIGERIA !!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by enigmang: 5:32am On Jul 25, 2013
dayokanu: Dem return you back to your fertile land, the Japan and Dubai of Africa and lamentation start.

Lagos does not want you wretched asss. Go back to your village. Simple

Some people are funny asking what Peter Obi would say? What does he want to say other than to mew like a woman who drank hot oil.

Anyone who doesnt like it should stay back in his village buncha leeches

Do people now need visa to enter Lagos What is the reason for throwing them out of Lagos ... Pray tell!!!
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by mkoabiola: 5:35am On Jul 25, 2013
Kudos to fashola n LASG.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by naptu2: 5:36am On Jul 25, 2013
birdman:

open your eyes. we are already in anarchy. Why hasn't Punch gotten LASG's side of the story. I call bs on this story - there is no way people are being randomly deported

Some sense at last!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 5:46am On Jul 25, 2013
NAIJA_SOM: Waste of time. They will simply take the next bus going back to Lagos. ONE NIGERIA !!!!!

Lmaooooooo grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by kcjazz(m): 5:53am On Jul 25, 2013
Haha this is news cos they are Igbos. Most states including Anambra sent beggars back to the north so rather than talk about creating opportunities we are here talking Igbos this and that. For their safety and for other people's safety destitute should be relocated to their states of origin. Even Abuja does this all the time.

Sacked From Abuja, Beggars Settle in Mararaba6 May 2013 , By Abubakar Yakubu, Source: Daily Trust

They were chased out of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in their hundreds, but now seek refuge in nearby Mararaba, Nasarawa State, which is fast becoming a 'colony' of beggars. The war being fought in Abuja city centre against street begging is gradually affecting Mararaba, a town in Nasarawa State which is close to the city.The town has been taken over by beggars who now occupy in large numbers, a pedestrian bridge, major roads, front of banking premises and major supermarkets.Majority of the beggars, however, told Weekly Trust that they are willing to leave the streets if they are empowered to start small businesses.Jummai, a mother of three under-aged kids at the top of a pedestrian bridge in the area, said life became so unbearable for her that they could hardly feed. "These children's father died in a motor accident and I was left with the burden of looking after them. We had no money to feed and had to come to this place to beg for survival," she said.Umaru Sokoto, an elderly beggar, said he begs to feed. "The country is bad and there is nothing for me to do at my age than beg those God has blessed," he said.More than 30 women, 15 children of between the ages of one and six years and elderly men beg for alms on the bridge.At the Mararaba-Keffi road demarcation (centre of the road), more beggars, including women and children were there. The beggars were also seen in large numbers at Mararaba junction to ECWA Karu, entrance of Abacha Road Mararaba, Orange Market and Aso road.Another set of beggars in the town are those who wear dark eye glasses to show they are blind and move around shops in Markets with under aged children as guides.Weekly Trust gathered from residents of the town that the influx of beggars is as a result of the Federal Capital Territory Administration's policy against street begging in Abuja city centre.Since the policy came into effect, billions of naira has been spent in rehabilitating a welfare centre, acquiring buses for enforcement and to mobilize security operatives as well as officials of the Social Welfare Secretariat/ Abuja Environmental Protection Board for operations.Few years back, over 170 beggars arrested in different parts of the city centre were repatriated to their respective states of origin. The repatriation process, according to an official of FCTA, has been ongoing and has led to the eviction of over a thousand beggars to Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Jigawa, Nasarawa, Kogi, Kwara, Plateau, Gombe, Enugu, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Abia StatesThose entrusted in carrying out the repatriation were officials of the Society Against Prostitution and Child Labour in Nigeria (SAP-CLN), Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB) and Social Development Secretariat.During that period, Grace Adogo, coordinator of SAP-CLN, said the beggars had to be repatriated due to the security challenges facing the FCT.She said the FCT Permanent Secretary directed that the stoppage of street begging and hawking, which according to her contravenes Section 36 of the AEPB Act of 1997.The coordinator expressed worries about the identity of street beggars and said they have no identity, but often flood traffics during hold ups with bags and unknown items.She also accused them of peeping into peoples' cars while begging for alms and warned those repatriated not to ever return to the city except they want to face prosecution.Another FCTA official, Oludare Atere of the Social Development Secretariat, vowed that the FCTA will not relent in ensuring that beggars, hawkers and commercial sex workers are removed from Abuja streets.He advised the repatriated beggars to seek meaningful livelihoods in their respective states of origin.Mararaba residents have also expressed concerns for the under-aged children, whose lives are endangered at the roadsides and on top of pedestrian bridges.They criticized the state and federal governments for not showing enough concern for their plights.Barrister Chuks Adolphy, a resident, wondered what has happened to the fundamental objectives of state policy as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria. "Beggars are Nigerians whose interests are protected in Chapter 2 of the policy," he explained.He blamed the Federal Government for going against the policy by concentrating the wealth of the nation in the hands of a few instead of the majority.According to him, the constitution forbids that the economic system be operated in such a manner as to permit the concentration of wealth or the means of production and exchange in the hands of few individuals or of a group."The policy also implores government to ensure suitable and adequate shelter, suitable and adequate food, reasonable national minimum living wage, old age care and pensions, and unemployment, sick benefits and welfare of the disabled to all citizens," he said.He criticized the FCTA's repatriation of beggars to their states of origin and said it goes against the following aspect of the policy that reads thus: "For the purpose of promoting national integration, it shall be the duty of the State to provide adequate facilities for and encourage free mobility of people, goods and services throughout the federation and to secure full residence rights for every citizen in all parts of the federation.Barrister Adolphy appealed to government to come up with laudable empowerment programmes that will accommodate and turn the lives of beggars around. "Nobody prays to be a beggar and the economic situation in the country is terrible," he added.He said the children of beggars need to be sent to schools in order not to become security risks in future."The state's policy also mandates government to eradicate illiteracy by providing where practicable free, compulsory education from primary to university level.Another resident, Amina Jimoh, criticized the beggars and accused some of them of engaging in the activity to make easy money. "Some lazy women carry other people's children on rent to beg on streets and this is child abuse," she warned.According to her, those children stay under sun and rain daily without any future.Amina appealed to social welfare officials in state and federal government offices to start rescue missions in saving the children."The children presently have no future and are abused on the streets daily, which doesn't speak well of our country. If we abuse our future leaders in such manner then we are doomed," she added.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by omiobo: 5:58am On Jul 25, 2013
Though all I always pray for is one Nigeria but I will be very happy if we can go separate ways. I can't blame Lagos state,the burden of FG is on Lg. Other states should try and develop their states. I support the action. If there are yoruba beggars in Anambra,they should send them down here too,of which I believe they will find none.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 25, 2013
[size=15pt]who are the people developing everywhere in the island, because the last time i checked its my brodas.festac alone its being taken.ikoyi lekki,vgc,VI already taken.i understand how eko atlantic feels, it can be very depressing and painful when your mates are hustling and making money investing real big and you are not, trust me the thing dey pain wella.then to make matters worst they are even buying all the expensive houses everyday with their hard earned money.our children looking clean and beautiful.cmon if is you how will you feel[/size][size=50pt]?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Sunglow: 6:02am On Jul 25, 2013
ShyM-X:

Fam, don't waste my popcorn and deny the viewers the biggest tribal war ever on nairaland.

The link is still active: http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-dumps-70-beggars-others-in-onitsha/

And it was posted today:

.Badt guywink
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by IleIfe2(m): 6:06am On Jul 25, 2013
*Governor Fasola:
Let the igbos fix 'biafra'. We are tired of the igbos committing bad stuffs in the west. If we have any westerner destitute in Igbo land, please send them back asap. Be careful and honest when you do that because we have all your people building houses all over Lagos etc and westerners are not allowed to do same in Igbo land. No problem about that, we are good people here. but tired of the igbos atrocities.

That's what i've been saying, ibos don't sell land to each other in their states, let alone to non ibos. And they are always the first to scream discrimination anywhere locals put them in their place. #Economic Nomads

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by PStacks(m): 6:09am On Jul 25, 2013
Lagos shouls be treated like a Country and not a state... Lagos should have stricter boarder controls.. Lagos should hav stricter Immigration laws... Lagos is not Responsible for the collective poverty in the land.. Everybody comes to lagos even people that has nothing to offer..

These people should be repatraited to their Homelands almost immediately they enter into lagos.. Lagos should hav a special department for deportation of these people.. 15 Milllion People in that small space called Lagos is unacceptable. Traffic everywhere... Guuuush mehn! I can't live in Lagos mehn! I won't forgive myself if Traffic takes a major part of my life against my will, these are the causes of "Low Life Expectancy".. These people should be allowed into las gidi at all. Crime is perpetrated by them and other social vices..

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by jahlove4jah: 6:12am On Jul 25, 2013
Eko Atlantic: I'm not against this because of hundreds of crimes ibos bring from their states to SW, hence increasing crime rate in southwest.

The briton that was kidnapped in Lagos on Monday was the handiwork of the ibos, same with the wife of one honorable like that in one of the SW states.

Does dumping all the beggers at upper solve the problem?
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Oguieke(m): 6:13am On Jul 25, 2013
[quote
author=Eko Atlantic]I'm not against this because of hundreds of crimes
ibos bring from their states to SW, hence increasing crime rate in
southwest.

The briton that was kidnapped in Lagos on Monday was the handiwork of
the ibos, same with the wife of one honorable like that in one of the SW
states.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201307240347.html/[/quote] u must be igbo phobia
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by jahlove4jah: 6:13am On Jul 25, 2013

so Anambra has turned out to be responsible for all these? You are are sounding tribalistic
Re: Lagos Dumps Beggars, Homeless In Onitsha by Nobody: 6:14am On Jul 25, 2013
And we keep deceiving ourselves with one Nigeria? SMH

I jst wish a creative ibo,would build as many markets as possible in the east,make provisions for all businesses to come back home. South west markets will be empty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Army Currently Repelling Attack By Boko Haram Insurgents In Maiduguri / Soldiers Carry Out Sanitation Exercise In Yenagoa, Bayelsa (Photos) / Shut Up, PDP Governors Lavished State Funds On You – Tuface Told

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.