Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,140 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! (27885 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / President Jonathan Commissions Phase 1 504MW Alaoji Power Station, In Abia- Pics / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
2s£xy:
I don't want to insult you cos you are someone I respect.

My question is, did you study science in school at any levels? What do you know about radioactivity? Bros, any small thing kpeme, your genes will be altered and will affect your whole lineage... That's genetic mutation.

I studied much about Nuclear Physics with specialty in nuclear fusion and fission. I also expanded my research to Isotopy, Entropy etc.

Fear is borne out of ignorance, lead wall is one of the best protection against radiation, I can only assume that people's fear is borne out of their ignorance of the dynamics of nuclear energy and its derivatives.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
Cholison: We stand against this project even if it is free. What we need now are food processing factories, we have enough gas and coal to fire our power plants. Try somewhere else.
some nigerians with the love of foods grin
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 6:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
When the goverment help the people who have a house with cheap solarpanel nigeria whould have no problem with energy.

Solar power is much better than nulear power, and ther4e are so many ways you can get energy from solarpanel.

What is with wind power, that is also what we have here in europa. In Germany they build it also offshore they have big windparks, why could nigeria not work on this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
Bimpss:

[b]IT'S A BAD IDEA![/b]especially for a developing nation like Nigeria, that has a problem with corruption and money mismanagement. Nuclear power plants are very expensive and in order to have one, a country has to be financially capable. Add to the health hazard issue, strange pathogens in water, e.t.c it is like a train wreck waiting to happen, either way there won't be a good ending. Even developed nations are running away from the idea.

I mentioned that the nuclear plants could be built at regions thousands of kilometers away from habitable region, but even without that, Russians have one the best nuclear technologies in the world, they will build, manage and maintain the plants and sell the energy generated to Bulk Traders. Its not really as fragile as people think it is, it is a cheap source of energy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by solomon111(m): 6:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
This thread reeks of ignorance.
Smh.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Sability(m): 6:22pm On Sep 08, 2013
Na which kain yeye govment we get self?. They better stop that nuclear power plant shit. We cannot manage it a beg.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Gideojim: May God help this Time, I pray it work out Properlly It going to be great I have long expect this From FG

Confusion:

We do not intend to play with it but to engage it for better use
Yes there will be risk but if u never take that step you will never know how good u are
Were you a victim of last year's floods. Tell me how good we were

Don't just agitate here.Let me see you appeal to Jonathan to site it in your village
BTW after the nuclear plant is built, we will not need a tedious census again, you will be able to count Nigerians by a show of hands

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by gothrones(m): 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Allen kee:

I HATE IT WHEN A FOREIGNER COMES TO THIS FORUM ONLY TO INSULT NIGERIA.
LET NIGERIANS BE THE ONES CRITIZISING NIGERIA.
GHANA HEGOAT, LEAVE NIGERIA FOR NIGERIANS WE KNOW HOW TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS.
REMOVE THE WOOD IN YOUR EYES SO YOU CAN SEE CLEARLY TO REMOVE DUST IN YOUR NEIGHBOUR'S EYES.
YOU ARE VERY VERY STUPID FOR COMMING HERE TO INSULT NIGERIA.

Nigerians criticize other countries on this site everyday. Who invented the rule that only citizens of a country can criticize that country?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Horus(m): 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrnPvGfuyeM

[size=15pt]|Protestors Lobby for Nuclear Free South Africa[/size]
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
solomon111: This thread reeks of ignorance.
Smh.
Go ahead and educate us

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by peromosele: 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
May be our government want to use this nuclear power plant idea to reduce our country popullation.the popullation of the country is too much for them to govern, this is a strategy.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I mentioned that the nuclear plants could be built at regions thousands of kilometers away from habitable region, but even without that, Russians have one the best nuclear technologies in the world,

Let us build it in your village and tell me about Chernobyl

Billyonaire:
they will build, manage and maintain the plants and sell the energy generated to Bulk Traders.

Do you remember how they managed that accident in their nuclear-powered submarine?
Google Kursk please
What about Ajaokuta steel rolling mill

Billyonaire:
Its not really as fragile as people think it is,

Tell the Japanese that
Billyonaire:
it is a cheap source of energy.
Life is cheap too
Looks like we are in for a real punishment during this "fresh" opportunity

This is not about voting GEJ and PDP
It is not going to happen
This time, we would prefer to be killed by soldiers while protesting
I prefer lantern
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
bwahahaha! Nuclear physics ko, extended biology ni. grin

Bloody scam.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ooshinibos: 6:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
RUSSIANS DONT LIKE AFRICANs , google it and you will see the evidence ...if Nigerians really need a nuclear plant please approach Germany or France OR kOREA , leave the russians ( 85 percent ) alone they have no regards for black people ...
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by krugar07(m): 6:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
Confusion:

Chairman for your info Russia, China has as much corruption as we do but they are always looking for ways to improve or steal tech knowledge
My point here is not what we are or do but ability to improve or steal tech knowlede
India is begining to compete because of their improvement in technologies
this does not concern tech knowlege or corruption. nigeria is only technology consumer. no production, no proper management. lets first try less mass danger prone power production means like gas turbine, wind,. infact kainji dam is enough to power this country. but it all boils down to corruption, poor management of infastructure, e t c

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
ooshinibos: RUSSIANS DONT LIKE AFRICANs , google it and you will see the evidence ...if Nigerians really need a nuclear plant please approach Germany or France OR kOREA , leave the russians ( 85 percent ) alone they have no regards for black people ...
You can say that again
How our governments take decisions baffle. It is always about money, money
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Symphony007: 6:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
Nigeria has the abilities and can tap from more renewable power sources like hydro, solar, wind, and even our convention gas. But nuclear is a capital NO!! When superpowers in nuclear energy like germany is running scared and closing all their nuclear power stations due to risk. I see no reason why nigeria will think to that direction. I NO WAN DIE O!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I mentioned that the nuclear plants could be built at regions thousands of kilometers away from habitable region, but even without that, Russians have one the best nuclear technologies in the world, they will build, manage and maintain the plants and sell the energy generated to Bulk Traders. Its not really as fragile as people think it is, it is a cheap source of energy.

Oh realy, that is not tru, why happen the accident in the Ukraine, Ukraine belong at this time to russia, so keep quiet.

Do you want this in Nigeria, because russia makes the best nuclear power plant.

The Chernobyl disaster (Ukrainian: Чорнобильська катастрофа, Chornobylska Katastrofa – Chornobyl Catastrophe) was a catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine (then officially the Ukrainian SSR), which was under the direct jurisdiction of the central authorities of the Soviet Union. An explosion and fire released large quantities of radioactive particles into the atmosphere, which spread over much of the western USSR and Europe.

The Chernobyl disaster is widely considered to have been the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and is one of only two classified as a level 7 event (the maximum classification) on the International Nuclear Event Scale (the other being the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011).[1] The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles.[2] The official Soviet casualty count of 31 deaths has been disputed, and long-term effects such as cancers and deformities are still being accounted for.

The disaster began during a systems test on Saturday, 26 April 1986 at reactor number four of the Chernobyl plant, which is near the city of Pripyat and in proximity to the administrative border with Belarus and the Dnieper river. There was a sudden and unexpected power surge, and when an emergency shutdown was attempted, an exponentially larger spike in power output occurred, which led to a reactor vessel rupture and a series of steam explosions. These events exposed the graphite moderator of the reactor to air, causing it to ignite.[3] The resulting fire sent a plume of highly radioactive fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area, including Pripyat. The plume drifted over large parts of the western Soviet Union and Europe. From 1986 to 2000, 350,400 people were evacuated and resettled from the most severely contaminated areas of Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine.[4][5] According to official post-Soviet data,[6][7] about 60% of the fallout landed in Belarus.

The accident raised concerns about the safety of the Soviet nuclear power industry, as well as nuclear power in general, slowing its expansion for a number of years and forcing the Soviet government to become less secretive about its procedures.[8][notes 1] The government coverup of the Chernobyl disaster was a "catalyst" for glasnost, which "paved the way for reforms leading to the Soviet collapse".[9]

Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus have been burdened with the continuing and substantial decontamination and health care costs of the Chernobyl accident. A report by the International Atomic Energy Agency examines the environmental consequences of the accident.[7] Another UN agency, UNSCEAR, has estimated a global collective dose of radiation exposure from the accident "equivalent on average to 21 additional days of world exposure to natural background radiation"; individual doses were far higher than the global mean among those most exposed, including 530,000 local recovery workers who averaged an effective dose equivalent to an extra 50 years of typical natural background radiation exposure each.[10][11][12] Estimates of the number of deaths that will eventually result from the accident vary enormously; disparities reflect both the lack of solid scientific data and the different methodologies used to quantify mortality – whether the discussion is confined to specific geographical areas or extends worldwide, and whether the deaths are immediate, short term, or long term.

Thirty one deaths are directly attributed to the accident, all among the reactor staff and emergency workers.[13] An UNSCEAR report places the total confirmed deaths from radiation at 64 as of 2008. The Chernobyl Forum predicts the eventual death toll could reach 4,000 among those exposed to the highest levels of radiation (200,000 emergency workers, 116,000 evacuees and 270,000 residents of the most contaminated areas); this figure is a total causal death toll prediction, combining the deaths of approximately 50 emergency workers who died soon after the accident from acute radiation syndrome, nine children who have died of thyroid cancer and a future predicted total of 3940 deaths from radiation-induced cancer and leukemia.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by solomon111(m): 6:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
nora544: When the goverment help the people who have a house with cheap solarpanel nigeria whould have no problem with energy.

Solar power is much better than nulear power, and ther4e are so many ways you can get energy from solarpanel.

What is with wind power, that is also what we have here in europa. In Germany they build it also offshore they have big windparks, why could nigeria not work on this.
Solar panels can never be compared to Nuclear power sources.
The only advantage the former has over the latter is safety.
Solar panels are less efficient, and produce much less energy.
A solar power project that would provide significant amount of energy to power Nigeria would be far too expensive it becomes unfeasible.
A single Nuclear power plant can power the entire Northern Nigeria,while the south will be powered through hydrocarbons.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
First thing first Nuclear is a scam.
Secondly Russia will probably use Nigeria as the dumping ground of their old/obsolete material, which obviously Nigeria will overpaid.
Thirdly, Gej is acting like a child in front of candy store, the dude probably keep hearing nuclear, China nuclear north Korea nuclear Iran nuclear etc he probably doesn't know the difference between civil and military nuclear, so Gej u ain't getting the H-bomb and if he does then he's clueless a dam will do the job Nigeria has a lot of water , then u have solar power plant, u can even use wind power plant mister president ask yourself why they are trying to get rid of nuclear all over Europe? Where will u get the money to manage it ?(oops that was supposed to b the conclusion) Do u have people trained to do so ?

To conclude is not the same Nigeria that recently borrow money from China?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Bimpss(f): 6:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

As if it is russia's country right?? Why would russia do that? Isn't their job to Build?, i don't think management and trading will be part of their job listing. Anyways Russia doesn't care about Nigeria that much.. trust me, if anything they are planning to annihilate Nigerians. You talk about the nuclear plants being built "at regions thousands of kilometers away from habitable region", aren't you aware of fukushima sir? and how its particles will likely reach U.S shore in the near future... There is nothing safe or "cheap" about a nuclear power plants my friend... There is wayyyyy too much risk involved.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by krugar07(m): 6:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

I studied much about Nuclear Physics with specialty in nuclear fusion and fission. I also expanded my research to Isotopy, Entropy etc.

Fear is borne out of ignorance, lead wall is one of the best protection against radiation, I can only assume that people's fear is borne out of their ignorance of the dynamics of nuclear energy and its derivatives.
so ur sayin dat the japanese didnt have sense to use lead wall abi. maybe u shld be the one to build this nuke plant with all the knowledge u got frm studying

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by jmaine: 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire: I can understand the fears of many people here, especially the very ignorant ones.

Nuclear Energy is the future.

The Nuclear Plant can be located in the deserts of Borno or the Chad Basin even the rain forests of Cross River thousands of kilometers away from habitable zones.

This is one source of energy that has abundance of fuel in Nigeria and is not dirty like coal, not fluctuating waterflow like Dams and not lost to vandalism like gas.

Should we build nuclear power plants, then we can also harness Uranium with other isotopes for other uses.

No country can dream of being a world power without Nuclear Energy Savvy, except we wanna remain a boi boi nation for ever.

Very terrible proposal, you can't label others ignorant simply because they expressed valid fears about a nuclear disaster hinged on our careless attitude to safety issues and the poor and distasteful history of the Russians with such project.

I can't even believe that your suggesting the last vestige of the only virgin forest in Nigeria be blighted by a nuclear plant presence.

Damn!!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 08, 2013
solomon111: Solar panels can never be compared to Nuclear power sources.
A solar power project that would provide significant amount of energy to power Nigeria would be far too expensive it becomes unfeasible.
A single Nuclear power plant can power the entire Northern Nigeria,while the south will be powered through hydrocarbons.
dude talk about what you know solar panel can't do what? What do u mean by powering naija? It simple if you want light in the streets you use solar plots, if you want light in an area in any given area use solar period this is how a country is powered..u don't expect that they will build a solar central and then distribute it to people? It just doesn't make sense
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
solomon111: Solar panels can never be compared to Nuclear power sources.
That is right
Nuclear station will power the North; just site it at Otuoke!
You guys are even more deadly than I thought!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Navalsadiq(m): 6:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
GEJ should channel that money to much more important projects.pls oh!'nuclear power plant' we dont want that.we have not been able to manage abj national stadium talk more of a nuclear power plant.GEJ pls respect your self.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: dude talk about what you know solar panel can't do what? What do u mean by powering naija? It simple if you want light in the streets you use solar plots, if you want light in an area in any given area use solar period this is how a country is powered..u don't expect that they will build a solar central and then distribute it to people? It just doesn't make sense
We would put the nuclear plant in Bakassi
Hahahahah
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 6:44pm On Sep 08, 2013
Naval sadiq: GEJ should channel that money to much more important projects.pls oh!'nuclear power plant' we dont want that.we have not been able to manage abj national stadium talk more of a nuclear power plant.GEJ pls respect your self.
Channel what?
Every project now is for 2015 election
Where are the results of the probes/indictment of the world record subsidy looting of 2011?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2013
krugar07: so ur sayin dat the japanese didnt have sense to use lead wall abi. maybe u shld be the one to build this nuke plant with all the knowledge u got frm studying

Japan's accident was EarthQuake, we will NEVER have Earthquake in Nigeria. San Andrea's fault line is no where near our tectonic zones.

You people are just afraid cos you are ignorant of its mechanics
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Hahahahah

ROTFL. Seeing that our neighbours are scared already, we may well just acquire nuclear status as a means of deterrence, yes?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Hahahahah
we will blow it out ...we don't want foreign things on our land/territory. So good luck
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
jmaine:

Very terrible proposal, you can't label others ignorant simply because they expressed valid fears about a nuclear disaster hinged on our careless attitude to safety issues and the poor and distasteful history of the Russians with such project.

I can't even believe that your suggesting the last vestige of the only virgin forest in Nigeria be blighted by a nuclear plant presence.

Damn!!

'Ignorant' is not an abuse in this context, if I do not understand road construction, I am ignorant of it, and if someone tells me am ignorant of it, I take no offense cos its true.

Nuclear Energy and Radiation fear is unfounded, the Nuclear Technology has evolved with time, Japan's Accident was as a Result of Tsunami and Earthquake. There will NEVER be Earthquake in Nigeria, our tectonic plates are nowhere near San Andres Fault Lines, so our fears are unfounded.

Regarding mismanagement; My position is that the Nuclear Power Plant be private owned, managed by Russians and the generated electricity sold to Bulk Traders.

There is no fear, cos the radiation is not like Oxygen, there is no way it can go thousands of kilometers from the plant. The mistake those countries made is/was siting nuclear plants within habitable areas.

We will learn from their mistakes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

21 Aspirants Jostle For Kogi Governorship APC Ticket [see Full List Inside] / Atiku Supported Saraki To Be Senate President, Says Dogara / Herdsmen Killings: Tinubu Breaks Silence, Advocates For Rehabilitation Programs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.