Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,118 members, 7,842,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? (11522 Views)

“don’t Marry Outside RCCG, Don’t Marry A Jobless Man” – Pastor Adeboye / Will You Marry Someone Outside Your Tribe Or Ethnic Group? / Most Romantic Way to Ask, "Will You Marry Me?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Mynd44: 10:14am On Sep 18, 2013
johnnyblakes: with their weak albino joystick,tah comot their make i see front jor
Why are you concerned about that?
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 10:24am On Sep 18, 2013
DailyNews: Lol, oh no, I will disappoint u becos my reply will be very lengthy, lol.

And pls...I only referenced that haven't u wondered y we have increased rate of marital failures today, I then said that its becos we people of today marry anyhow without making proper enquiries abt who we plan to marry, I didn't say its cos of inter-tribal marriage that we have increased marital failure now, get me@dmc?

Oh maybe I didn't put it well. I only referenced on lack of proper enquiries as part of y today marriages fail and not inter-tribal marriage pls.

Now back to Jmoore's last comment. All marriages have d tendency of failing...but not with equal probability or rate, u know y?

See, every job have risk, every business have risk too but there are jobs and businesses with high risk, and such attract high insurance prem.

You can't compare the risk an engineer working on a rig platform above d atlantic ocean faces with the risk an engineer supervising the installation of a tank farm in ogun state.

You can compare the risk a scientist working in a nuclear power plant faces with that of a scientist working a laboratory in a hospital.

Everything in life have risk, but some have high risk.

There is what we call: high risk investments and they usually come with high yield unlike those with low risk.

What am I saying in essence? Due to:

Language, cultural, background, belief, family norms, tradition, orientation, etc differences, inter-racial and inter-tribal marriages have more tendencies of failing than same race or same tribe marriages.

Agreed, all marriages have the possibility of failing but not with equal probabilities or tendencies. That's my point bro.
Do you know one unique thing that makes schooling in the US more fun and sensible (something most US schools brag about)? I mean aside the educational aspect...
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 18, 2013
dmcdad:
To be sincere and honest with you, all these are baseless and redundant to the highest level... Well, I think I know what's wrong with you and you just need to try and control or contain it...
Oh oh...dmc u are going personal/temperamental...let it off man. Anyway, I am off...done. Have funsmiley
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 10:29am On Sep 18, 2013
DailyNews: Oh oh...dmc u are going personal/temperamental...let it off man. Anyway, I am off...done. Have funsmiley
I know you would take this negatively buh just didn't have the time at that instance to make it explicit. Anywayz, I was hoping you will curiously ask what it could be so I can fill you in with a thing or thing I have discovered. But, since you have taken it like this, then there is no need for that anymore.

Besides, I am sorry if you took that wrongly. Never meant any...
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by vivianc(f): 10:34am On Sep 18, 2013
what the hell happened here? This thread was fun, when did it become so serious?
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:44am On Sep 18, 2013
dmcdad(m): 9:10am

God bless you jare... Leave people bringing up redundant posts as regards inter-tribal marriages. If you don't like it, good and fine. Everyone is entitled to do whatever he/she deems fit.

Does tribal marriage guarantee happiness all through the marital period? Nope! Infact, most igbos around me happens to be married to peeps from their tribe, and you wanna know how the marriages of most of em are going? I don't wanna say...

The thing is; marry someone you love and you will wanna spend the rest of your life with come what may. Sometimes I begin to ruminate if this is God's plan for us Nigerians. Do you actually think God would not want us to cross-breed? Why all the discrimination? And did I hear someone say that Nigeria can ever be united? That ain't gonna happen in the slightest margin. You know why? Everyone tends to think they are the best and wanna segregate themselves from the rest. And we say we want peace and unity in Nigeria. I am sorry that is just a mere phantasmagoria or rather just a castle some people are trying to build in the air because if we cannot start from the root then how do we think it can work up there?

Tell me; if you have your parents from different ethnicity and maybe trouble is looming between such ethnic groups(let's say your parents are from Igbo and yoruba lands) would you rather stand on the side of your mom or on the side of your dad (let's say you have to choose one) or would you rather not stand on both sides and face whatever that comes. As awkward as that illustration might seem, it tells you that inter-tribal marriage places us in good stead in making sure we are unified.

That is not to condemn tribal marriages in any way. But please, if you have a different view as regards inter - tribal marriage, it's okay but stop condemning it in any way. I was very surprised when a parishioner from my church was speaking my language whom I thought was from my place and I happened to know that he is Ibo but his wife is from my place. At that time I tripped cause he was speaking it with his wife and other times they code-switch to speaking igbo language. Just imagine what that means to the growth and the love within the family... Infact, is it just me or what, but most families that I know who share different tribes happens to live happily. I am not talking about outside happiness and sadness inside, I am talking about happiness in and out.

Well, I never expected to write something as long as this cause I am not even in the mood these days, but I hate it when someone tries to coin something from some baseless and redundant points. It's just...

Why the focus on the igbo people? What is the agenda? Leave us be and talk about ur own people, can't love anybody when u don't love urself, charity begins at home...

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 18, 2013
vivianc: what the hell happened here? This thread was fun, when did it become so serious?

its still fun Vivi...nothing bad has happened...we are only expanding the discussing to look at some of d challenges of inter-tribal/inter-racial marriage...no hard feelings.

@dmc...no problem...its just that I dnt like it wen someone takes a public discussion personal or bring in sentiment.

I dnt expect everyone to agree with my opinion n neither shud u...but one day, every individual will face d truth based on his/her decision...and maybe learn from it.

Enjoy ma guy...I am nt angry o pls...enjoying myself here.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 11:06am On Sep 18, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

Why the focus on the igbo people? What is the agenda? Leave us be and talk about ur own people, can't love anybody when u don't love urself, charity begins at home...
My dear why start from the middle of something? Stop being naive please... And what is the pointless statement on "you can't love anybody blah blah blah" I just stated what I discovered to drive my point home. Who says I wanna be against you guys? All my friends from childhood to adulthood have been Ibos. You know why? Cause I like the people. You should know I don't have anything against your people so give me a break! Gosh!

Besides, I even stated it in my earlier post that I would love to marry an ibo girl...Does it still seem like I have something against you guys Smh... Na wa for some people oooooo
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:29am On Sep 18, 2013
dmcdad:
My dear why start from the middle of something? Stop being naive please... And what is the pointless statement on "you can't love anybody blah blah blah" I just stated what I discovered to drive my point home. Who says I wanna be against you guys? All my friends from childhood to adulthood have been Ibos. You know why? Cause I like the people. You should know I don't have anything against your people so give me a break! Gosh!

Besides, I even stated it in my earlier post that I would love to marry an ibo girl...Does it still seem like I have something against you guys Smh... Na wa for some people oooooo

lollz! Very funny, becos FFK used does same lines. Marriage should not be about tribe but love, but why will u love to marry an igbo girl?(delibrate choice) it seems everybody in nairaland wants to marry igbo, now that is marrying for tribe not love, becos it is fashionable(stereotype) and not for content of the persons character, as tribe will not then be a factor.

Simple supply and demand economics, makes clear that increase in demand will lead to a drastic reduction in supply, meaning alot of no from igbo families, since they don't raise children with intent to throw away but to continue their name, culture and people.

I am sure we can agree on this, even if we agree to disagree.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

lollz! Very funny, becos FFK used does same lines. Marriage should not be about tribe but love, but why will u love to marry an igbo girl?(delibrate choice) it seems everybody in nairaland wants to marry igbo, now that is marrying for tribe not love, becos it is fashionable(stereotype) and not for content of the persons character, as tribe will not then be a factor.

Simple supply and demand economics, makes clear that increase in demand will lead to a drastic reduction in supply, meaning alot of no from igbo families, since they don't raise children with intent to throw away but to continue their name, culture and people.

As u said increase in demand will lead to drastic reduction in supply. It's only in the short run, in the medium to long run, there would be oversupply ohh.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by ichidodo: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

Imagine if they all married igbo girls, who will be left for us? What will be left us?? Our continuity as a tribe and culture will fade away. No, i think this 'fad' should be strongly dissuaded.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

Hmmm... In my earlier post I stated it categorically that I am not against inter - tribal marriage and would love to marry an igbo girl. Now I ain't saying I will or want for certain but will love to ( that is if it comes ). But sincerely, there is nothing special about them that one can't actually get from others. It's just that all through my life, everyone that tends to come around me tends to be from the igbo tribe. Mind you, I am not the the type that makes friends ( that is, initiate the move ), people whom I come across tends to do that, so it's not like I select to have friends from just the igbo tribes.

Moreso, like I stated earlier, virtually all the girls I have come across since I have been growing up are Igbos. On the part of the girls, almost all of em seem to be from Anambra. So, you can see why I tend to grow fond of them.

As for the analogy you gave using demand and supply to replicate your point, it seemed kinda lame not to mention awkward.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2013
nayef:

As u said increase in demand will lead to drastic reduction in supply. It's only in the short run, in the medium to long run, there would be oversupply ohh.
No mind her... Short of supply and yet there are lots of ladies out there waiting to be taken. Their own don done... (I no call tribe oooo before those wey carry am for head go talk trash).
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by vivianc(f): 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
ichidodo: Imagine if they all married igbo girls, who will be left for us? What will be left us?? Our continuity as a tribe and culture will fade away. No, i think this 'fad' should be strongly dissuaded.

I won't let them take me away. I will marry you, just pm me the financial statement already. And i hope you are cute? I'm allergic to worwor guys o grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by ichidodo: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
DailyNews: its still fun Vivi...nothing bad has happened...we are only expanding the discussing to look at some of d challenges of inter-tribal/inter-racial marriage...no hard feelings.

@dmc...no problem...its just that I dnt like it wen someone takes a public discussion personal or bring in sentiment.

I dnt expect everyone to agree with my opinion n neither shud u...but one day, every individual will face d truth based on his/her decision...and maybe learn from it.

Enjoy ma guy...I am nt angry o pls...enjoying myself here.
I think what you really mean is to have a successful marriage ,you gotta know everything about the better half via enquiries and who doesn't know better enquries can be made when the two familes are in close proximity.Since this is a serious matter why gamble your future with other peoples except like the guy you were havin a debate with who is hell bent on marryin outside,your future don't amount to too much.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by bethnals: 12:52pm On Sep 18, 2013
DailyNews:

We all must start thinking into the future and not just being selfish and considering now alone. Marriage isn't a child's play. It isn't about sex and romance and cars and beautiful houses and global vacation...its a big institution.

Peacesmiley

agreed with this! Theres no such thiing as fairy tale romeo + juliet marriage ooo0
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Ngokafor(f): 12:57pm On Sep 18, 2013
sanniemoe: @Agrika I be Yoruba boy. I know infidelity is here too but not as much as what ive seen in igbo land. The ladies are too materialistic,only a small percentage can actually boast of staying tight till d end.. the educated ones are too ambitious and dont care what happens to family in pursuit of their dreams...

...Am confused here...the question was 'can you marry outside your tribe'....how does telling us why you will not marry an Igbo girl answer the question??..a simple yes or no answer would do,besides the last time i checked,Igbo girls are not queuing up in line waiting for Yoruba men to marry them...rather the reverse is even the case with your men undecided ...if you tried an Igbo babe and got turned down,try your luck somewhere else cos it's not the end of the world....am saying this cos that only explains your outbursts! smiley

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 18, 2013
@ Topic, i no fit shout.
I cant marry outside igboland.
No other tribe in Nigeria keeps sanctity and sanity in marriage other than igbos, and my marital life is very impt to me.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Ngokafor(f): 1:13pm On Sep 18, 2013
..emmm oga dmcdad,you raised some good points but please tone down on your Igbo reference abeg undecided...thank you in advance..
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by ichidodo: 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2013
vivianc:

I won't let them take me away. I will marry you, just pm me the financial statement already. And i hope you are cute? I'm allergic to worwor guys o grin grin
Nne' m dont worry, i will send my driver with details.Hope you like the profile pic with my GOD daughter in our expansive kitchen am sure you can cook y'll love the place.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Ngokafor(f): 1:25pm On Sep 18, 2013
nayef:

..meaning please! angry angry
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2013
Ngokafor: ..emmm oga dmcdad,you raised some good points but please tone down on your Igbo reference abeg undecided...thank you in advance..

Lol... Thanks anywayz. But, I sometimes wonder what some people are fighting for. I made a point from what I did notice around me and it wasn't to label the igbo people bad or something but just tryna prove that it doesn't always work with the same tribe stuff. I don’t have anything against igbos and will never have anything against em.

Besides, it makes me wonder why people are so concerned about this since I believe in the fact that; irrespective of whether my state will have this defect or not doesn't mean I will share from it. At the end of the day I judge people (not really like judging buh classifying) with their personalities and not by their religious or ethnic background. There is virtually nothing someone will say about my state that will affect me. You know why? It's because most things that are peculiar to that state are far from me. Needless I say one can't even guess right if one were to guess the state I am from if the person gets to meet me in person. That is because my way of life, to my looks and even to the way I talk will not give you any clue I am from such state. What am I saying in essence? I am saying there is nothing that I will be perturbed about even if one comes on here and lambast my state because it wouldn't change anything about me.

So, in as much as I accept what you said and respect it. It is also good to note that you shouldn't bother about what anyone says about your tribe if you have a sui-generis personality. And also, I never meant to say something negative about your tribe, just tried as much as I could to drive home my point with such reference.

Thanks and have a blissful time.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Ngokafor(f): 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2013
Awww i hear you my brother ....am actually engaged to a guy out side my tribe with a wonderful personality...i feel like i am the luckiest babe around and am really glad i looked past this whole tribe stuff..

....keep being who you are cos being open-minded about certain things pays off at the end of the day..cheers!
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 2:04pm On Sep 18, 2013
Ngokafor: Awww i hear you my brother ....am actually engaged to a guy out side my tribe with a wonderful personality...i feel like i am the luckiest babe around and am really glad i looked past this whole tribe stuff..

....keep being who you are cos being open-minded about certain things pays off at the end of the day..cheers!
Good. I am glad to know that. May God be with you guys this day and forever. All the best.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by vivianc(f): 4:06pm On Sep 18, 2013
ngozievergreen: @ Topic, i no fit shout.
I cant marry outside igboland.
No other tribe in Nigeria keeps sanctity and sanity in marriage other than igbos, and my marital life is very impt to me.

Exactly my reason too. I think most Igbo guys are full of crap, egocentric, stingy, and extremely difficult but they respect this institution called marriage. Now I can't think of any other tribe that can do that.

For instance, the Ijaw tribe; their men are the most generous and undramatic, and they are less difficult. An Ijaw man would spend millions to marry you, would give you what money can buy but they have no oita of respect for marriage, and for women. If you wanna marry them you have to prepare your mind to accept open infidelity. This is not a generalization, its a fact.

So I better stick to my igbo bobos, it would only require for me to go to the market and buy a very long and strong key cos their ears need unlocking and that I will do. grin grin grin Aga m agbahe ha nti very soon.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by tpia5: 4:13pm On Sep 18, 2013
dmcdad:

Besides, it makes me wonder why people are so concerned about this since I believe in the fact that; irrespective of whether my state will have this defect or not doesn't mean I will share from it.

thats wishful thinking. When you deny, you're more likely to share in it.

and what do you mean by "defect". Is it your skin colour thats a defect or what, no clue what you're referring to.

At the end of the day I judge people (not really like judging buh classifying) with their personalities and not by their religious or ethnic background.

good luck with that!

There is virtually nothing someone will say about my state that will affect me. You know why? It's because most things that are peculiar to that state are far from me.

not a good statement in most contexts.

Needless I say one can't even guess right if one were to guess the state I am from if the person gets to meet me in person. That is because my way of life, to my looks and even to the way I talk will not give you any clue I am from such state.

still not a good point of reference.

What am I saying in essence? I am saying there is nothing that I will be perturbed about even if one comes on here and lambast my state because it wouldn't change anything about me.

no argument there!

unless illiterate bigots need to be taught a thing or two!

So, in as much as I accept what you said and respect it. It is also good to note that you shouldn't bother about what anyone says about your tribe if you have a sui-generis personality. And also, I never meant to say something negative about your tribe, just tried as much as I could to drive home my point with such reference.

Thanks and have a blissful time.

enjoy your blissful unaware-ness.
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 18, 2013
"I think Igbo guys are stingy, egocentric, difficult, etc., but they respect marriage, so I must marry an Igbo."

Can I laugh?

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your tribe. Someone will just have to explain to me why one must bash another tribe to prove his/hers supreme. If your tribe is that awesome, you should be able to boast about the good of your tribe without bringing down another.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by Lilimax(f): 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
vivianc:

E grin grin grin Aga m agbahe ha nti very soon.
Nwada jiri nwayoo! grin grin
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by vivianc(f): 4:52pm On Sep 18, 2013
ogugua88: "I think Igbo guys are stingy, egocentric, difficult, etc., but they respect marriage, so I must marry an Igbo."

Can I laugh?

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your tribe. Someone will just have to explain to me why one must bash another tribe to prove his/hers supreme. If your tribe is that awesome, you should be able to boast about the good of your tribe without bringing down another.

Laugh all you want my dear, that's your area of specialty.
I wouldn't even suggest you read and understand what my statement means, ofcourse that's beyond you. In as much as the post doesn't go down well with you, trying to understand it is useless to you, hence we must follow your I-know-it-all mindset.

Just so we are clear, i'm igbo and I said earlier on that I will never marry outside Igbo tribe. My last post gave the reason; Igbo guys are not perfect, I agree and I have my opinion about them but there's an attribute in them I want, so no matter how they are I'm sticking to them.

I guess this is so difficult for you to understand, huh?

Then again, that's my opinion. So why don't you give yours and move on, its that simple.

Btw, i'm not in the business of bashing tribes, no matter how provoked i am. Never have and never will!

4 Likes

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by dmcdad: 4:54pm On Sep 18, 2013
tpia@:

thats wishful thinking. When you deny, you're more likely to share in it.

and what do you mean by "defect". Is it your skin colour thats a defect or what, no clue what you're referring to.

good luck with that!

not a good statement in most contexts.

still not a good point of reference.

no argument there!

unless illiterate bigots need to be taught a thing or two!

enjoy your blissful unaware-ness.
One of the meaning of defect is: a failing or deficiency (shortcoming). Please pick up your dico for your kind perusal.

Any more questions?
Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by vivianc(f): 5:06pm On Sep 18, 2013
Lilimax: Nwada jiri nwayoo! grin grin

grin grin Nne hapu okwu biko. I don't know if its just me o o, I find igbo guys difficult. Well, our culture empowers them to be so. There was even a time I decided i'm done with them but I ran back again grin grin they are not perfect but they are simply the best. So igbahe ha nti bu my only only option na grin grin at least oga eme ka isi jutu ha oyi small na. grin grin grin The ones that didn't spend all their lives in igboland is better, if you go jam the one wey grow up for Osha or Aba and has stayed there the rest of his life? O neediri igbaha nti na biko.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Outside Your Tribe? by tpia5: 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
dmcdad:
One of the meaning of defect is: a failing or deficiency (shortcoming). Please pick up your dico for your kind perusal.

Any more questions?

So what exactly are you calling a defect in your origin?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FC2 Female Condoms / They Call Him The Sexiest Nigerian Man Alive (photos) / Being Free With Boo Is About To Ruin My Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.