Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

The Dearth Of Development In The South-east - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (24717 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / Politics Of Development. And Underdevelopment / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by superstar1(m): 3:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
biafranqueen: I was trying to ignore them because I have come to realize that some non Igbos have a very unhealthy fantasy of being Igbo and when it is not realized they become unproductive. Of course they will all come here claiming Lagos is where they hail! Nothing we discuss they can resist commenting smh. I wonder why they care so much especially the ones that insult us the most! Let us ignore the enemies of progress, from derailing this important post, I don't blame them for the obsession we are such an interesting people wink

No one is interested In derailing your thread, provided your people don't bring the issue of SW into it. You guys should make your contributions within yourself and free us.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oduaboy1: 3:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chima agbalajob(agbalajobi)i heard you married a yoruba man, is that true?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
highmood: think very well. When you talk about the SW, where are u specifically pointing at? Lagos. And if I may ask, who are those that contributes to the economy of states like Lagos and kano? The easterners, right? Will u now tell me the SW contributes more to the center whereby the the southeasterners indirectly contribute massively to thier economy? U said the east doesn't contribute, do u know but not as much as the south south, abia state and imo state have been an oil region for some time now. What is the southwest contributing if I may ask then?

You may as well ask Google.

Odua boy gave u a RED PILL just now by giving you a link.

..Cat & Dogs even testify to the fact that SW generates more revenue after SS.

So what then are your problems? grin... Could it be Super-Inferior complex blinding you kins from accepting facts OR what?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Italiano1: 3:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
odua boy: Chima agbalajob(agbalajobi)i heard you married a yoruba man, is that true?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by BloggingIq: 3:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Your idea of let all states build what they like and develop at their own pace is not bad if resources were limitless. Unfortunately, in the real world, we have limited resources which must be used to achieve the most good. A major reason Nigeria failed to develop like Malaysia and Singapore in spite of being ahead of those countries in 1960 and having more resources than them is exactly your mindset of repeating useless projects everywhere in every hamlet,while the real things begging to be built as power plants and heavy industries are labeled "oyibo projects" > Imagine that Nigeria spent a whopping $300 billion dollars to build a useless new capital city they called Abuja, instead of building their industrial and agricultural base which would have ensured Nigeria became an industrialized world power, with very high standard of living seen in developed countries.

best read so far, one of the best if not the best, kudos to you!

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 24, 2013
biafranqueen: I was trying to ignore them because I have come to realize that some non Igbos have a very unhealthy fantasy of being Igbo and when it is not realized they become unproductive. Of course they will all come here claiming Lagos is where they hail! Nothing we discuss they can resist commenting smh. I wonder why they care so much especially the ones that insult us the most! Let us ignore the enemies of progress, from derailing this important post, I don't blame them for the obsession we are such an interesting people wink

Topic apart, so what's the big deal we claim Lagos?

Does Lagos resemble Eze Nri's eroded enclave for us to lay our claims to it?

Or is it located in the shores of PH?

Every Japanese Ainu is always happy to have Tokyo & claim it as home despite Tokyo not been home to all Ainus in the country. !

Every Russian likes to claim Moscow. !

...So it is for ethnic Han been proud of Shanghai. !

So If you are sad Yorubas claim Lagos, I'm sorry you have to deal with it BUT pitiable that you have to in Silence. !!!

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by meforyou1(m): 3:42pm On Nov 24, 2013
superstar1:

With your small landmass and monstrous population, you are clamouring for Biafra? I am trying to visualise igbos in other parts of the country migrating to alaigbo and the intense competition that will follow. No wonder, you are always quick to add south south to yourselves. All good.
lesotho and swaziland in south africa are much smaller than SE in landmass. So are 1000 other independent countries. It is a God-given right for a people to choose their destiny. Especially in the face of terror, nepotism and discrimination in this nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by kettykin: 3:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
odua boy: 1] South-South contributed N479 Billion to the Federation Account. The zone was allocated N285 Billion. It made a loss of N194 Billion.
2] South-West contributed N339 Billion to the Federation Account. The zone was allocated N127 Billion. It made a loss of N212 Billion.
3] South-East contributed N10 Billion to the Federation Account. The zone was allocated N85 Billion. It made a gain of N75 Billion.
4] North-West contributed N20 Billion to the Federation Account. The zone was allocated N157 Billion. It made a gain of N137 Billion.
5] North-East contributed N5 Billion to the Federation Account. The zone was allocated N109 Billion. It made a gain of N104 Billion.
6] North-Central contributed N15 Billion to the Federation Account. The zone was allocated N105 Billion. It made a gain of N90 Billion.
http://nigerdeltastandard.com/Post- federation_account_allocation__who_is _short_changing_who_#sthash.710oa z1z.dpuf
The contribution from the SW where does it come from is it the marijuana and Indian hemp farms in Osun or the tax made from ifa pagan stricken worshippers, notice how a region that claims to contribute to the centre cannot sustain local airport in akure, , ibadan and illorin .The cocoa you are alluding to does not generate up to what one oil well generates per annum.
If the SW generates more than it receives then they should be at the forefront of resource control but instead the would do a uturn and join the north in maintaining the 13% status quo

6 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 3:52pm On Nov 24, 2013
asha 80: those unions started losing their essence in the late eighties.
then it is up to the youth to start our own and show them how to do it!
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by superstar1(m): 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
me_for_you: lesotho and swaziland in south africa are much smaller than SE in landmass. So are 1000 other independent countries. It is a God-given right for a people to choose their destiny. Especially in the face of terror, nepotism and discrimination in this nigeria

What is the population of those mentioned countries and yours?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2013
spyder880: As a person who has spent a lot of my time in the south east, I think a lot still needs to be done to tap into serious developmental issues.

We have to choose our leaders carefully, and push him to perform for us.

Hey! Oga Spyder880, good to see you Sir!

Wetin happen my brother? All of a sudden, you missed in action.

Good to hear from you again!
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2013
Abagworo:

All those roads are federal roads. Southeast is doing well just like the rest of Nigeria but the pace is quite slow. I think Rochas is doing the right thing by upgrading Owerri and Orlu and linking up the rural areas to major roads for distribution of agric products. Anambra and especially Abia are getting enough FDI and capital industrial developments but their cities need upgrade and beautification. Nairaland and PDP/APGA propaganda aside, I'm so sure anyone that visits a State like Imo will definitely be amazed.
that would be great to start a thread on Imo states development it would be an inspiration to see it online. I hope to make it down to Imo to see for myself soon.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by meforyou1(m): 4:00pm On Nov 24, 2013
superstar1:

my friend, land mass and population is not a criteria for an independent nation. It is "the people decide". And recognised by the international community. Palestine has been seeking for a nation since like forever, no way. Yet eritera and very recently south sudan has been accorded the rights. Russia accepted 2 breakaway republics from georgia same but d intl community has not, but not because of size or population. Just check your atlas.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2013
superstar1:

Every part of Nigeria isn't afraid of existing as an independent country EXCEPT YORUBALAND

WHY ??

Yoruba knows that all these falsehoods they peddle in Nigeria that Osun and Ekiti GDP is bigger than Anambra's etc is nothing but cow dung.
Yoruba not the north is the only group that will starve if Nigeria breaks up and they are smart enough to know it.

Indeed under a good charismatic leadership and instituting smart policies,the north could indeed thrive better as an independent country outside the restrictions of a united Nigeria. But yorubaland is doomed without Lagos. lagos thrives only because Nigeria had over centralized everything, every critical infrastructure only in Lagos.Little wonder yoruba is annoyed with Enugu airport and Ibaka sea port.

5 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 24, 2013
kettykin:
The contribution from the SW where does it come from is it the marijuana and Indian hemp farms in Osun or the tax made from ifa pagan stricken worshippers, notice how a region that claims to contribute to the centre cannot sustain local airport in akure, , ibadan and illorin .The cocoa you are alluding to does not generate up to what one oil well generates per annum.
If the SW generates more than it receives then they should be at the forefront of resource control but instead the would do a uturn and join the north in maintaining the 13% status quo

@bolded

SW has been on forefront of revenue control, NOT resource control.

And BTW, who told you the SW wants the 13% status quo maintained?.... If some SS people & your greedy SE leaders continue to kick against our call for revenue control, so you expect us to accept your call for resourse control with open arms abi?...

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 4:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
biafranqueen: that would be great to start a thread on Imo states development it would be an inspiration to see it online. I hope to make it down to Imo to see for myself soon.

Truth be said,
Rochas isn't doing badly. My qualms with the guy is his penchant to collect huge loans and pile up debts for the state.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
one.east1:
Afam what do you take at times that runs you crazy. When it appears that you are ok, you will suddenly loose from you shackles.

Your state may not be progressing on big projects that will grow its economy, but my Anambra is on the move without stopping. All other SE states maybe behind but Anambra is steadily moving forward.

These are some of the biggest investment attracted from foreigners or built by Anambra in the last 4years. The world second largest brewer injected over 15 billion into Anambra:

this was a good start and I was surprised at a couple of medium sized operations that are doing very well. A Palm Oil plant and smoked fish manufacture that can not even keep up with demands, we have some promising industries on the rise in Anambra. The idea if turning these family business operations into corporations is what will take us to the next level

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Every part of Nigeria isn't afraid of existing as an independent country EXCEPT YORUBALAND

WHY ??

Yoruba knows that all these falsehoods they peddle in Nigeria that Osun and Ekiti GDP is bigger than Anambra's etc is nothing but cow dung.
Yoruba not the north is the only group that will starve if Nigeria breaks up and they are smart enough to know it.

Indeed under a good charismatic leadership and instituting smart policies,the north could indeed thrive better as an independent country outside the restrictions of a united Nigeria. But yorubaland is doomed without Lagos. lagos thrives because Nigeria had over centralized everything only in Lagos.Little wonder yoruba is annoyed with Enugu airport and Ibaka sea port.

May I ask you?

Who are those at the forefront of a SNC?

Who are the agitatators of Regionalism?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by bloggernaija: 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
kettykin:

The SW has always been at the forefront of "resources control" before the word came into vogue.
In fact your elites were still drinking ogogoro under the tree.

The potential gains are obvious to even, the 10 yrs child.
We have lived the dream before,
We will surely live it again.

our ports
Our VAT
our corporate taxes
Our royalties
Our fees
Our petroleum tax(when we fill our tanks)
Our remmitance from overseas
Our own tourism industry
Our river basins
Our win electricity board
Our rail networks
Our airspace and aerospace industry
Our own import and export policy(all those who kill our domestic manufacturing industry go hear wen)
Our licensing policy(same applies to those socially useless importers of good in which we have comparative advantage.
Our own environment,energy and industrial policy.
Our own roads
Etc

Awo on Population As Basis Of Sharing Revenue
"In a country where the accuracy of the census figures is so much in acrimonious dispute, it is gross and aggravating provocation to urge that population should be used as a basis of sharing what belongs to others who are much fewer in number."
-The Strategy and Tactics of the People's Republic of Nigeria, 1970

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Jman06(m): 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
I can bet my life to the fact that Afam has not travelled round all the SE states.Atleast not in recent times.

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
gratiaeo: AFAM not until you point out what's happening in other states apart from development on white papers i wouldn't comment
@ least use Osun state as a yardstick

What do u expect from sb that thinks Stadia =Development.
I just read his initial post on 1st page again and it sounded more pathetic than it appeared yesterday.
Development indeed,
when Ebonyi opened its three major mills for rice processing and export to West African countries, did Ebonyi peepz rush to NL to flaunt it in ppls faces?
Whereas, Osun plans Intl airport in the midst of poverty stricken indigenes is development to him.
I still advocate for better governors all over Nigeria.
Its high time ppl moved some focus to governors and even. senators other than just presidency.
They are having easy rides in nigeria

7 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by meforyou1(m): 4:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
When awka was made d capital of anambra, one lagos-ibadan press axis columnist called awka "1 road 1 junction" town. Can he same today? When abia was created Umuahia was a sleepy town, is it same today? Compare these towns with Oshogbo, lafia and d rest they were created with as see that we have left them a long time ago

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 4:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Truth be said,
Rochas isn't doing badly. My qualms with the guy is his penchant to collect huge loans and pile up debts for the state.
the loans collected are they being utilized properly? Are the developments on ground equaling the amount borrowed and how can we and what can we do to monetize the projects. Loans are useful when you can use them properly, meaning the projects loans were taking for can be paid by the income they are creating. We have to hold him accountable and make sure the money is not being wasted!

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by kettykin: 4:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
One way would be for any company owned by an igbo man or woman with more than N1b capitalisation to go to the stock exchange and diffuse ownership to other igbos and raise capital for expansion to other African countries .companies like Geometric, CWG, Innoson, star paper mills, SPG, Swift telecom, Ibeto, zinox, ovim , to the transport firms from chisco to the young to peace mass. Enough of one man business, that Era is over. This is one technique Dangote used to corner other people's wealth and expand.

Secondly after expansion to West and South Africa, these companies would have to move their head quarters, research and development, statistics and planning to the East either Enugu or Owerri their taxes should be paid in the east HR and recruitment controlled in the east. This single act would drive a migration back to the East of high skilled igbos presently resident in Abuja and Lagos.

The eastern economic ecosystem is trade oriented but can be service and production oriented rather than building the largest petroleum depots in lagos and akwa ibom igbos should rather have pulled their resources to build a mini refinery that would create 10000 high skilled jobs ,add to the economy of the east, pull a lot of people from the low income earning group and the job market to the middle income earning group , , message is for Arthur Eze, ifeanyi Uba and Orji kalu

Thirdly I no longer subscribe to building of very high class mansions in thick forests in the east only for the house to be occupied for 2 weeks every year the east now has the highest number of unoccupied luxury mansions in the world the money which could have been used to urbanise cities like Enugu, Aba, onitsha and Owerri or at least urbanise the villages by building befitting luxury flats that people can rent and live in

9 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by meforyou1(m): 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2013
ngozievergreen:

What do u expect from sb that thinks Stadia =Development.
I just read his initial post on 1st page again and it sounded more pathetic than it appeared yesterday.
Development indeed,
when Ebonyi opened its three major mills for rice processing and export to West African countries, did Ebonyi peepz rush to NL to flaunt it in ppls faces?
Whereas, Osun plans Intl airport in the midst of poverty stricken indigenes is development to him.
I still advocate for better governors all over Nigeria.
Its high time ppl moved some focus to governors and even. senators other than just presidency.
They are having easy rides in nigeria
what's the essence of osogbo airport when the nearby airports in Ibadan and akure are not working due to consumption from lagos airports
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by farem: 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2013
Kponkwem: ...BTW can u show me just one city in SW...?
SW again?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by meforyou1(m): 4:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
farem:
SW again?
yes. South west again. Lagos-ibadan press axis. And Lagos is not south west when the dominant tribe in Lagos is igbo
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 4:25pm On Nov 24, 2013
kettykin: One way would be for any company owned by an igbo man or woman with more than N1b capitalisation to go to the stock exchange and diffuse ownership to other igbos and raise capital for expansion to other African countries companies like Geometric, CWG, Innoson, star paper mills, SPG, Swift telecom, Ibeto, zinox, ovim , tto the transport firms from chisco to the young to peace mass. Enough of one man business that Era is over. This is one technique Dangote used to corner other people's wealth and expand.

Secondly after expansion to West and South Africa, these companies would have to move their head quarters, research and development, statistics and planning to the East either Enugu or Owerri their taxes should be paid in the east HR and recruitment controlled in the east. This single act would drive a migration back to the East of high skilled igbos presently resident in Abuja and Lagos.

The eastern economic ecosystem is trade oriented but can be service and production oriented rather than building the largest petroleum depots in lagos and akwa ibom igbos should rather have pulled their resources to build a mini refinery that would create 10000 high skilled jobs add to the economy of the east pull a lot of people from the low income earning group and the job market to the middle income earning group , , message is for Arthur Eze, ifeanyi Uba and Orji kalu

Thirdly I no longer subscribe to building of very high class mansions in thick forests in the east only for the house to be occupied for 2 weeks every year the east now has the highest number of unoccupied luxury mansions in the world the money which could have been used to urbanise cities like Enugu, Aba, onitsha and Owerri or at least urbanise the villages by building befitting luxury flats that people can rent and live in
Great points, how many examples do we need, that when a great industrialist dies the children usually screw up and lose everything. I love everything you wrote here.

The point about building mansions is right on time. I am sick and tired if NID doing that nonsense it makes no freaking sense building a mansion that is vacant the whole year if not years. That is the height of irresponsibility and needs to be discouraged. Instead build flats hire a ground keeper keep one for yourself when you visit collect money every two years. It works perfectly!

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
St_Black:

Topic apart, so what's the big deal we claim Lagos?

Does Lagos resemble Eze Nri's eroded enclave for us to lay our claims to it?

Or is it located in the shores of PH?

Every Japanese Ainu is always happy to have Tokyo & claim it as home despite Tokyo not been home to all Ainus in the country. !

Every Russian likes to claim Moscow. !

...So it is for ethnic Han been proud of Shanghai. !

So If you are sad Yorubas claim Lagos, I'm sorry you have to deal with it BUT pitiable that you have to in Silence. !!!

Their case is different, where true o.
That of yorubas is driven by laziness and inferiority complex they feel for the rot in Osun, Oyo and so on.
Being proud of Shanghai is diff from saying u are from Shanghai, when u are not from there

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ihatesycophant(m): 4:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
I lately begin to think if some of these peolple that share comments here are really educated at all. A wise man will only respond to issue rather than react to it. The question posed by the admin was to be responded to in a critical manner that will bring new direction to those issues but you see some unlettered individuals still comparing the south west states to those mentioned above. One thing we always forget is that the problem will continue to bommerang from generation to generation until something drastic is done. I remembered that the bible said, those that compare themselve to themselve are not wise. It's best to stick to the topic than jabbling like a man without focus.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Atiku Faces Uphill Task At Tribunal, Says Agbakoba / Fire Guts INEC Headquarters In Ondo / 2023: Powerful Forces Want Oshiomhole Sacked Over Tinubu's Presidential Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.