Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

The Dearth Of Development In The South-east - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (24688 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / Politics Of Development. And Underdevelopment / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Italiano1: 6:13pm On Nov 23, 2013
Afam4eva:

This is the problem. Instead of you to look inward, you always want to compare yourself to others who are probably like you in order for you to look better. That's how failures reason.

Now this is a thinking Ibo man.

The SE will start to progress when there is a reduction in migration to other parts of Nigeria and more importantly when they shun individualism and learn to hold their leaders to account. Orji Kalu is an Ibo hero despite the fact that he left Abia in a pathetic state. He built a 100 room mansion in his village even when the roads that lead to it are virtually impassable.

5 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oneeast1: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
Here is the rating in terms of attraction of big investments that creates jobs and economic boom in the SE:

Anambra

Enugu

Abia

Imo

Ebonyi

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Abagworo(m): 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2013
Like their masters, they've started tribal deviations instead of just giving instances to counter Afam's point.

Southeast is the poorest region in Nigeria going by monthly allocation as the entire Southeast combined receives almost same allocation as Akwa-Ibom State alone. I guess the Governors are trying to work with their little funds. My major problem is their inability to increase their respective IGRs. I respect Tinubu so much for his IGR revolution in Lagos State. The Southeast cannot develop with this paltry allocations of roughly 3billion when they have recurrent basic expenditure of over 2billion. Fashola could not have achieved much in infrastructure if Tinubu did not develop the IGR.

9 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 23, 2013
An unsually honest post from afam4ever, this cannot end well. I foresee this thread in the ethnic section.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Italiano1: 6:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
django1: An unsually honest post from afam4ever, this cannot end well. I foresee this thread in the ethnic section.

Afam is very proud of his Ibo heritage but he is one of the few that is asking the key questions; it will be a big mistake if it ends in the ethnic section.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oldenglish: 6:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
It's laughable when you mention stadium as development. What is the need of stadium for any state govtment in NIGERIA? The Olympic stadium built by British govt for the Olympics has just been sold to west ham united cos they have no use for it after the conclusion of the Olympics. Lets take Akwa Ibom state for eg, who will make use of that stadium when completed. How much will they make to pay staff and manage/maintain the stadium. Same goes for Rivers state. Playing one or two national match in 3 yrs add little or nothing to those stadia. Have you asked yourself why National Stadium is in the state of disrepair and ABJ stadium as well unless Fed pump in money to repair it once in a while.

Apart from Lagos and ABJ developed by the fed every other state capital in Nigeria is the same.

There is no much diff among the govs in Nigeria. You hear of little developments going close to where you are cos of their proximity to Lagos media. Beleive me all those little development goes on in other part of the country with little or no media attention. Did you notice that Honeywell supposed investment in Abia was publicised, are you telling me no such investment have happened in Abia since Orji? Absolutely no. If you go to Osisioma Industrial Area many plants springs up here and there but you would not read about them in the print media. Same for Nnewi.

What you could have stated is SE people don't advertisement product the way others do which isn't good for them cos if dont blow your trumpet nobody will do that for you. Look at Innoson for example, have you seen any billboard or tv advert for his products especially car section.

That said Elechi, Orji and Rochas has no reason being a state governor.

14 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by eggheaders(m): 6:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
Italiano1:

Afam is very proud of his Ibo heritage but he is one of the few that is asking the key questions; it will be a big mistake if it ends in the ethnic section.

Long time oga, just coming back from another sexkid imposed asylum.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by gratiaeo(m): 6:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
eggheaders: No talking down on the igbos. The southeast is a kinda big hellhole, the worst road I have travelled all my life is the Onitsha -enugu expressway. The solution to the problem maybe for you lots to stay in your region and ask your leaders questions. And again politically most igbos seems to be less concern all na business and business, get to Ibadan even shoemakers will analyze political issues that will make a professor of political science look like a joke. I think its high time y'all gat to get involve in the politicking of alaigbo.
You mean that Lagos badagry express or even ore that people used to sleep for days before getting to their destination is better than Onitsha - Enugu expres?
Have you ever ply Lagos Ibadan express way before?

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by eggheaders(m): 6:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
gratiaeo:
You mean that Lagos badagry express or even ore that people used to sleep for days before getting to their destination is better than Onitsha - Enugu expres?

Confused you.. ore expressway fixed, Lagos -badagry undergoing massive reconstruction. Bad portion fixed on a reg. The reason that road is always a nightmare is the attitude of the commercial bus driver. I gat investment in that part of lagos, so you can't come here and bambooze with your lies.

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by SenatorBudoma: 6:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
eggheaders: No talking down on the igbos. The southeast is a kinda big hellhole, the worst road I have travelled all my life is the Onitsha -enugu expressway. The solution to the problem maybe for you lots to stay in your region and ask your leaders questions. And again politically most igbos seems to be less concern all na business and business, get to Ibadan even shoemakers will analyze political issues that will make a professor of political science look like a joke. I think its high time y'all gat to get involve in the politicking of alaigbo.

199 Likes
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Italiano1: 6:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
eggheaders:

Long time oga, just coming back from another sexkid imposed asylum.

Bawoni, how your side? Sent u mail a few days ago

gratiaeo:

This is precisely the problem Afam is trying to expose on NL, why are you deflecting from the topic of this thread? This thread is about the SE and the apparent lack of development, if you want to discuss the Lagos- Badagry Express way, why dont you start a thread on it?

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by solapex: 6:39pm On Nov 23, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Anambra has the best road network in Nigeria. Anambra has the highest human capital in Nigeria, Ogun state comes a distant second.
Anambra has the best road network in nigeria? I did my NYSC in anambra last year, Awka south to precise. I did not see any network of road you're talking about. U̶̲̥̅̊ are deceiving Ūя̲̅self

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by eggheaders(m): 6:42pm On Nov 23, 2013
Italiano1:

Bawoni, how your side? Sent u mail a few days ago

This is precisely the problem Afam is trying to expose on NL, why are you deflecting from the topic of this thread? This thread is about the SE and the apparent lack of development, if you want to discuss the Lagos- Badagry Express way, why dont you start a thread on it?

I will check asap now..
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Abagworo(m): 6:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
gratiaeo:

All those roads are federal roads. Southeast is doing well just like the rest of Nigeria but the pace is quite slow. I think Rochas is doing the right thing by upgrading Owerri and Orlu and linking up the rural areas to major roads for distribution of agric products. Anambra and especially Abia are getting enough FDI and capital industrial developments but their cities need upgrade and beautification. Nairaland and PDP/APGA propaganda aside, I'm so sure anyone that visits a State like Imo will definitely be amazed.

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by gratiaeo(m): 6:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
If the yardstick Afam pointed at is anything to go by, Osun State qualifies to be one of the states he is asking the five governors to learn from. Afam cited building of airports - Osun is building one, in fact with the longest run way in Nigeria.
You mean building on the page of newspaper?
All na wash

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by sCun: 6:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
PhenomenonVFX: I will advise all u Igbos to talk to urselves when u go home this december. This year alone should be an eye opener for u guys. Instead of showing off ur wealth to one another this Christmas, u should put heads together and discuss d way forward.
Precisely! I wonder what they discuss in those development union meetings
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by asha80(m): 6:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
sCun: Precisely! I wonder what they discuss in those development union meetings
those unions started losing their essence in the late eighties.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 23, 2013
I think politics in SE is not that competitive and the leaders do not feel threatened by opposition of any kind. The belief is once you are in good book of party goons at national level, you can always get away with mediocre performance.

If serious and competent people like Soludo shun politics of convenience and build a credible opposition that people can believe in, the landscape will change. Take a survey: Ebonyi, Enugu, Abia. Where is the alternative? Rochas ll be easily rigged out if he does not perform. So he's "bound" to perform.

All states performing well today, irrespective of region, have at least one thing in common: strong opposition.

No doubt the region is well educated, but political consciousness is VERY low in SE.

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Onlytruth(m): 6:54pm On Nov 23, 2013
kettykin: Priority of Development should look like this
1. Deep Sea Port in Akwa Ibom /Bayelsa linked to the South East
2. Rail link from Ibaka and Bayelsa to move goods to and fro Onitsha and Aba
3. Independent Power stations to pump power from Coal , Gas deposits to Distribution companies
4.Refineries in Onitsha and Aba to power the Auto mobile /vehicular traffic.
5 New investments in Aba and Onitsha to power them as shopping cities that would encourage the growth of retail , tourism and business transactions.
6 Investments in movie making and film villages that would churn out next generation Nollywood films and stars
I believe with some of the outlined steps the south east would get its groove back and become an economic backbone the East can go it alone without really depending on the Federal Government

My brother all the things you listed can NEVER happen without the likes of Soludo leading a state like Anambra or Abia, or even Enugu.
Enugu is trying but it could do more, much more, because it enjoys old development in the main city of Enugu.

My fervent pray is the Obiano will DEPART PERMENANTLY from Peter Obi's philosophy of minute developments scattered throughout the state.
We need hub businesses, and they can never happen without things like power stability and INTERNATIONAL ACCESS.
We have international access now, but we need AMBITIOUS leaders like Soludo.

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oneeast1: 6:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
Abagworo:

All those roads are federal roads. Southeast is doing well just like the rest of Nigeria but the pace is quite slow. I think Rochas is doing the right thing by upgrading Owerri and Orlu and linking up the rural areas to major roads for distribution of agric products. Anambra and especially Abia are getting enough FDI and capital industrial developments but their cities need upgrade and beautification. Nairaland and PDP/APGA propaganda aside, I'm so sure anyone that visits a State like Imo will definitely be amazed.

You like amusing people. Where is the upgrade in imo state? Is it the same orlu or okigwe road that has been abandoned for past two years. Okorosha has got his priorities very wrong, he needs to start attracting investors to help create employment for its youths. Owerre and imo state has been reduced to mere school and hotel town and nothing more.

I think Obi is getting it right on the areas of upgrade going on in Onitsha and attraction of big organizations for job creation. Chime is trying at least on urban roads. Abia despite poor infrastructure he is doing his best in attracting investors too.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
I know that what nairaland igbos want to hear is that alaigbo is the garden of eden. Fine, have it that way.

afam4eva is the only igbo man i like on nairaland; always ready to take the bitter truth.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by gratiaeo(m): 6:59pm On Nov 23, 2013
oldenglish: It's laughable when you mention stadium as development. What is the need of stadium for any state govtment in NIGERIA? The Olympic stadium built by British govt for the Olympics has just been sold to west ham united cos they have no use for it after the conclusion of the Olympics. Lets take Akwa Ibom state for eg, who will make use of that stadium when completed. How much will they make to pay staff and manage/maintain the stadium. Same goes for Rivers state. Playing one or two national match in 3 yrs add little or nothing to those stadia. Have you asked yourself why National Stadium is in the state of disrepair and ABJ stadium as well unless Fed pump in money to repair it once in a while.

Apart from Lagos and ABJ developed by the fed every other state capital in Nigeria is the same.

There is no much diff among the govs in Nigeria. You hear of little developments going close to where you are cos of their proximity to Lagos media. Beleive me all those little development goes on in other part of the country with little or no media attention. Did you notice that Honeywell supposed investment in Abia was publicised, are you telling me no such investment have happened in Abia since Orji? Absolutely no. If you go to Osisioma Industrial Area many plants springs up here and there but you would not read about them in the print media. Same for Nnewi.

What you could have stated is SE people don't advertisement product the way others do which isn't good for them cos if dont blow your trumpet nobody will do that for you. Look at Innoson for example, have you seen any billboard or tv advert for his products especially car section.

That said Elechi, Orji and Rochas has no reason being a state governor.
God bless you my brother
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by asha80(m): 7:00pm On Nov 23, 2013
Onlytruth:

My brother all the things you listed can NEVER happen without the likes of Soludo leading a state like Anambra or Abia, or even Enugu.
Enugu is trying but it could do more, much more, because it enjoys old development in the main city of Enugu.

My fervent pray is the Obiano will DEPART PERMENANTLY from Peter Obi's philosophy of minute developments scattered throughout the state.
We need hub businesses, and they can never happen without things like power stability and INTERNATIONAL ACCESS.
power is an issue all round the country...what international access are you talking about?onitsha port?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Abagworo(m): 7:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Onlytruth:

Onlytruth I see you as one of the few people that can really discuss development from an advanced point of view. What I believe is our major problem is the inability of the Governments to increase our internally generated revenue (IGR) to surpass or at least compliment the monthly allocations. We need to enlighten our people on the importance of taxing and our government on the importance of harmonizing taxing. No miracle can be achieved without funds.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Ngwakwe: 7:03pm On Nov 23, 2013
@Afam try answering these questions first

I would have taken time to do justice to Afam's obsession only that he has prejudice and moreover the thread has already gone to the dogs. However, I will provide comprehensive analysis and answers if the following questions below are clarified

The only sensible comment here are those of Abagworo and other one or two comments.

Afam's question is a premise on what he sees on the pages of Newspapers and internet hence very much faulty and baseless.

The first question should be what actually constitute development?

What are the immediate need of the people?

What foundation are already on ground to necessitate the second, third etc levels eg Enugu was the capital of East Central States when Umuahia was a glorified village?

What resources are readily available to prosecute those capital development as the case may be?

Are PPP also part of the comparism?

Is debt free balance sheet another type of development?

What roles the FG has played to encourage sustainable development in such area?

What Economic policies of the FG has been favourable to the State to attract foreign investments?

I will be back if Afam provides his answers.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fundraiser For Oshiomole's "Widow Victim." The Widow Must Not Die! / North Will Never Discover Oil In Chad Basin – Shehu Sani / The Employed Should Help FG Pay 5k To The Unemployed - Sen. Bruce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.