Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,487 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

The Dearth Of Development In The South-east - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (24716 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / Politics Of Development. And Underdevelopment / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oduaboy1: 11:19am On Nov 24, 2013
ngozieverdumb:

- Everybody has used Aba made product: its not for argument.
Lol this is laughable.
Ngozieverdumb: - Yes, SE has the highest number of indigenous industries in nigeria prove me wrong.
kindly list some of those indeginious industries for us,and please desist from listing outdated ones like Orange pharmaceticals
Ngozieverdumb: It hosts the biggest mkts in Nigeria/WA.
Aside Lagos, how many Intl mkts are in SW.
- Am telling u, go and inquire abt the ownership of ventures in SW, u will see that ur ppl are lazy.
Ngozieverdumb we are talking of industries here not markets,Or do you have serious comprehension issues.
Am done with this arguement
You are an unrepentant troll

10 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Abagworo(m): 11:27am On Nov 24, 2013
asha 80: onitsha is geographically small to be a capital(not including surrounding towns like obosi,,oba,nkwelle ezunaka,nkpor etc)....aba is more like it.

The empty land in Oba alone is enough for everything required of a State capital. The problem with the Onitsha case is refusal of Obosi, Nkpor, Oba etc to accept the Onitsha nomenclature because of pride and traditional politics. Aba is also as small as Onitsha except that all the surrounding towns even up to Imo boundary and Akwa-Ibom boundary accept being part of the metropolis. Most people may not know that Ariaria market is not in Aba proper. Neither is geometrics or Alaoji or even most of the industries in other Ngwa villages that got urbanized. So a masterplan of Onitsha should include Nkwelle Ezunaka, Nkpor, Obosi, Oba, Ogbaru and all surrounding towns and villages.

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by obayaya(m): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2013
Onlytruth:

I personally think that the governors (Anambra's for example) are ALREADY getting enough funds to pursue some of the projects of transformation.
The problem is that some of them are determined to steal and pull the whool over our eyes.
I would take ONE INTERNATIONAL CLASS research hospital sited in Anambra state to all these minor patches of old hospitals which are still left without transformative equipment. That hospital will create thousands of jobs and even form indirect partnership with other hospitals to feed it of patients who need "overseas treatment". Patients can come from other African countries too. Enugu international airport is there now, so the hospital can be sited in Anambra state and equipped with a helipad to airlift patients to the international airport whenever necessary.

I read somewhere that Anambra state got up to 2 Trillion Nairaland in the 8 years of Obi's leadership. That is a lot of money.

I strongly believe that HUB BUSINESSES are the key to economic transformation of states and regions.

FG published that governor Amaechi of rivers state have gotten 1.2 trillion so far from the federation Account.. that's 6 yrs.. how's it possible Peter Obi got 3 trillion in 8 yrs..

Guy use your head Na.. anambra gets roughly 3 billion a month that's 36 billion a year.. that's 288 Billion in 8 years.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Psychedelia(m): 11:49am On Nov 24, 2013
Abagworo:

All those roads are federal roads. Southeast is doing well just like the rest of Nigeria but the pace is quite slow. I think Rochas is doing the right thing by upgrading Owerri and Orlu and linking up the rural areas to major roads for distribution of agric products. Anambra and especially Abia are getting enough FDI and capital industrial developments but their cities need upgrade and beautification. Nairaland and PDP/APGA propaganda aside, I'm so sure anyone that visits a State like Imo will definitely be amazed.

This is true.
Rochas is still an azzhole, though.

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 11:59am On Nov 24, 2013
Abagworo:

The empty land in Oba alone is enough for everything required of a State capital. The problem with the Onitsha case is refusal of Obosi, Nkpor, Oba etc to accept the Onitsha nomenclature because of pride and traditional politics. Aba is also as small as Onitsha except that all the surrounding towns even up to Imo boundary and Akwa-Ibom boundary accept being part of the metropolis. Most people may not know that Ariaria market is not in Aba proper. Neither is geometrics or Alaoji or even most of the industries in other Ngwa villages that got urbanized. So a masterplan of Onitsha should include Nkwelle Ezunaka, Nkpor, Obosi, Oba, Ogbaru and all surrounding towns and villages.

Dude, one of the biggest tragedy of the SE is childish in-fighting and bad blood such as between you and Chino. Believe me, such childish attitude and mindset of "I better than my brother" also exist at the governors level making them unable to work together for the benefit of the zone.Instead, they compete with each other to replicate what another already has just to reassure their people they aren't worse off.So instead of Anambra and Abia to use Owerri airport and make it very viable , they will rather waste money better deployed to other development such as monorail, a petro-chemical plant,independent power plant or a mini-refinery etc to help build their industrial base, to repeating what has already been achieved by building their "own airports" to show Imo they have it takes to own an airport and vice versa.
The way southeast governors approach development is "let me provide the reigning things" other states have. There is no vision to build big things to truly make a difference in the fortune and lives of their state.I am glad we are having serious discussion and not the usual anambra vs. Imo or Enugu vs. Anambra which is state better, village mentality we have seen amongst Igbo people for ages.

The fact that Obosi,Nkpor etc want the name of their town to remain isn't a bad thing at all and does not mean the government should not plan those areas well to expand the city appropriately. Infact, in USA most large cities you hear about such as New York made up of (Bronx,Yonkers,Brooklyn,long island), Boston,New Orleans,Los Angeles etc are conurbations of many independent urban centers with their own mayors. For you, they may appear as one city. In Philippines, Manilla and Cebu the two biggest cities are actually a combination of many islands with their own independent names still maintained till date.So Oba or Nkpor and Osisioma or Onicha-Ngwa can retain their names but still provide areas for the expansion of greater Onitsha and Aba respectively.

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 12:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
obayaya:

FG published that governor Amaechi of rivers state have gotten 1.2 trillion so far from the federation Account.. that's 6 yrs.. how's it possible Peter Obi got 3 trillion in 8 yrs..

Guy use your head Na.. anambra gets roughly 3 billion a month that's 36 billion a year.. that's 288 Billion in 8 years.

Bros, our people are sometimes so illiterate and gullible that it is not funny at all. They only want to believe fairy tales in order to blame lack of development on political enemies they wish to mud sling.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Abagworo(m): 12:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Dude, one of the biggest tragedy of the SE is childish in-fighting and bad blood such as between you and Chino. Believe me, such childish attitude and mindset of "I better than my brother" also exist at the governors level making them unable to work together for the benefit of the zone.Instead, they compete with each other to replicate what another already has just to reassure their people they aren't worse off.So instead of Anambra and Abia to use Owerri airport and make it very viable , they will rather waste money better deployed to other development such as monorail, a petro-chemical plant,independent power plant or a mini-refinery etc to help build their industrial base, to repeating what has already been achieved by building their "own airports" to show Imo they have what they have and vice versa.I am glad we are having serious discussion and not anambra vs. Imo which is better.

The fact that Obosi,Nkpor etc want the name of their town to remain isn't a bad thing at all and does not mean the government should not plan those areas well to expand the city appropriately. Infact, in USA most large cities you hear about such as New York made up of (Bronx,Yonkers,Brooklyn,long island), Boston,New Orleans,Los Angeles etc are conurbations of many independent urban centers with their own mayors. For you, they may appear as one city. In Philippines, Manilla and Cebu the two biggest cities are actually a combination of many islands with their own independent names still maintained till date.So Oba or Nkpor and Osisioma or Onicha-Ngwa can retain their names but still provide areas for the expansion of greater Onitsha and Aba respectively.

You really need to differentiate me from Chino. I criticize with my conscience but Chino turns it to a "versus" which is quite wrong. Its the same thing Peter Obi does when confronted with issues. Instead of addressing the issues, he'll rather start giving the impression that he's competing with the man and not the issues and in most instances use tribalism. If you doubt me, just go back to my posts and observe them neutrally. In one instance I wrote Awada can be like London and showed a picture of my dream Awada and Chino started posting pictures of Nekede bad road and deviated the topic. I've learnt to ignore them lapdogs and focus on some people with ideas and interest of Igboland at heart like Ngwakwe, Onlytruth and Igboson.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Idrismusty97(m): 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
The op never visit north-eastgrin

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by spyder880(m): 12:49pm On Nov 24, 2013
As a person who has spent a lot of my time in the south east, I think a lot still needs to be done to tap into serious developmental issues.

We have to choose our leaders carefully, and push him to perform for us.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by lincolnj88: 1:04pm On Nov 24, 2013
[quote author=agbameta][/quote]
grin u still dey nairaland, after all yesterday beatings...... Maybe I should call jmaine to whip ur a$$ today.... grin
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Erotex(m): 1:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
the worst ever blog i have ever join.
Tribalism is their motto.

We are proud of our land #letUsbe......

Lack of news update abi?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by littlehooper5: 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
SOUTH EAST GOVERNORS WASTE THEIR ALLOCATION ON ELECTION CAMPAIGN......

LET THE REAL PARTY WITH REAL,VISION, EDUCATED, HIGH PRINCIPLE LEADER TAKE OVER YOUR SE STATES N SEE THE DIFFERENCE..
CHECK THE PARTY RULING IN SW N LOOK AT THE DEVELOPMENT GOING ON THERE.....

I AM HAPPY THAT A IGBO GUY OPENED THIS THREAD.. IF NOT THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ACCUSING THE ADMINS /MODS
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by muktarl: 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ok
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by deols(f): 1:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
eggheaders: No talking down on the igbos. The southeast is a kinda big hellhole, the worst road I have travelled all my life is the Onitsha -enugu expressway. The solution to the problem maybe for you lots to stay in your region and ask your leaders questions. And again politically most igbos seems to be less concern all na business and business, get to Ibadan even shoemakers will analyze political issues that will make a professor of political science look like a joke. I think its high time y'all gat to get involve in the politicking of alaigbo.

You are right about the Ibadan part. Everyone is interested and knows what is going on in Politics.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by chamboy(m): 1:22pm On Nov 24, 2013
i think the problem with SE has to do with the people,
1. Greed
2. illiteracy
3. Tribalism
4. lack of branding n packaging
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by deols(f): 1:26pm On Nov 24, 2013
PhenomenonVFX: I will advise all u Igbos to talk to urselves when u go home this december. This year alone should be an eye opener for u guys. Instead of showing off ur wealth to one another this Christmas, u should put heads together and discuss d way forward.

This is one of the best responses.

It means, take action NOW
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by FACIGARlawyer: 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
I come late ooooo.... grin grin grin
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2013
KIRIJI: What has south west got to do with these again? The topic is about the dearth of development in iboland.
My friend, it is called IGBOLAND not Ibo.
This shows that people of the SW dont even know anything about the IGBOS.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by nydraps(m): 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
one.east1:
Afam what do you take at times that runs you crazy. When it appears that you are ok, you will suddenly loose from you shackles.

Your state may not be progressing on big projects that will grow its economy, but my Anambra is on the move without stopping. All other SE states maybe behind but Anambra is steadily moving forward.

These are some of the biggest investment attracted from foreigners or built by Anambra in the last 4years. The world second largest brewer injected over 15 billion into Anambra:

pls, pictures are what I've been seeing ever since I started monitoring the activities of the government of the east..... undecided
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 24, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Am telling u that majority of manufacturing outfit in SW are not owned by yorubas.
Stop attaching to what is not urs.
Lagos and Ogun indeed

Of course not. They are owned by ibos.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by investnow2013: 1:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
There are many improvements in the SE unlike in the past. The main issue is to bring back the population lost to other areas back to the SE. For instance, Universities in Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, Jos, Yola,Kaduna etc all have between 35 to 40 Percent of People from the SE! Why not build More Universities in most Major Towns & Cities in The SE!. Although some of the States in the SE like Abia & Anambra are beginning to see the wisdom in this. Anambra is leading with about 6 new Universities which are privately owned coming up & Abia with 3, Enugu 2 & IMO with 2 & Ebonyi with none!

5 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oneeast1: 1:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Dude, one of the biggest tragedy of the SE is childish in-fighting and bad blood such as between you and Chino. Believe me, such childish attitude and mindset of "I better than my brother" also exist at the governors level making them unable to work together for the benefit of the zone.Instead, they compete with each other to replicate what another already has just to reassure their people they aren't worse off.So instead of Anambra and Abia to use Owerri airport and make it very viable , they will rather waste money better deployed to other development such as monorail, a petro-chemical plant,independent power plant or a mini-refinery etc to help build their industrial base, to repeating what has already been achieved by building their "own airports" to show Imo they have it takes to own an airport and vice versa.
The way southeast governors approach development is "let me provide the reigning things" other states have. There is no vision to build big things to truly make a difference in the fortune and lives of their state.I am glad we are having serious discussion and not the usual anambra vs. Imo or Enugu vs. Anambra which is state better, village mentality we have seen amongst Igbo people for ages.

Yes, bro people like abagworo should be banished if Igbo land will have genuine peace and development devoid of rancor and unhealthy competitions. Go through abagworo posts over time you will realize that in most cases he will start an e-war and expect people to align with it, but I equally learnt to swiftly attack him where necessary to make sure that I whip him into line.

On your comment concerning airports why should a non viable state like Imo own an airport whereas economically viable states as Anambra and Abia does not have? It is only in Nigeria that you see such madness. And you are suggesting to them to use it and make viable whereas they do not benefit from its revenue.

I have kept saying it let all the states develop at its own pace. If any state which feels that it has capacity to develop an airport let it go on with it and not for some states to build an airport with intention of tapping human and material resources from other states.

In the case of Anambra the approval has been given and site for the International Cargo airport has been acquired around Otuocha axis. I will posit that each state should develop at its own pace without having to wait for any other. That is why America is the most developed country in the world.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2013
Aigbofa:

Of course not. They are owned by ibos.

Agbameta kilonshele? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Long time no see, no use this name? Wetin happen?

I dey wait for the other name Aribisala0. Una welcome o!
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Italiano1: 1:46pm On Nov 24, 2013
invest-now2013:
There are many improvements in the SE unlike in the past. The main issue is to bring back the population lost to other areas back to the SE. For instance, Universities in Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, Jos, Yola,Kaduna etc all have between 35 to 40 Percent of People from the SE! Why not build More Universities in most Major Towns & Cities in The SE!. Although some of the States in the SE like Abia & Anambra are beginning to see the wisdom in this. Anambra is leading with about 6 new Universities which are privately owned coming up & Abia with 3, Enugu 2 & IMO with 2 & Ebonyi with none!

All these dubious statistics that you guys just throw around with impunity. Which Universities in Lagos, Ogun and Ibadan have 40% of students from the SE?

5 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oduaboy1: 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2013
invest-now2013:
You people find it so easy pulling figures from your asss.Which university in southwest has 35% ibo population,please name one.
You are seriously high on akpu.

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by callmenow: 1:57pm On Nov 24, 2013
The most important development of all is the that of the human capital. In this area, the south east of Nigeria is unequaled and unrivaled by others. However, the physical structures are often embarked upon by the FED. The mod should appreciate that only a crazy person will invest in the south east presently. Without security, there will be no sustained investment. Tackle the kidnapping and assassinations in the ABA, OWERRI, ONITSHA and ENUGU axis, you will begin to attract investment. To illustrate, the Imo and Abia Governments ceded the Enyinmba Hotels in Aba, which was started by the Late Barr Mbakwe to Aba Chamber of commerce. The chamber went to china and secured Chinese investment. On arriving in Nigeria, one of them was kidnapped. They terminated their interests in the venture. The Hotel is now moribund. There are so many instances of EU and North American businesses coming to South East Nigeria and coming to a sticky end, and/ or running away with the lack of security. Please go to the US and Canada and UK government websites to view their advise to their citizens, it specifically instructs them to avoid south east Nigeria. The governors in these regions are struggling with the debts from earlier administrations, which the FED deducts before sending their allocations. Staff in Abia and Imo states government are struggling with arrears to the tune of up to seven months. Some teachers has not been paid for nine months in these states. That is why most governors illegally dissolves the LGA in their domain to save the money for that layer of government. Forget state investments for now. People live in fear! SECURITY of the zone is essential for growth and investment. However my beloved Lagos is thriving. Remember that the SE is only 45 minutes from Lagos. So come and invest in Lagos. International Trade Adviser, UK

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by lekkie073(m): 1:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
pls my Igbo kwenu brodas..... go back and develop ur village-states. or r u waiting for fashola to come and do DAT for u? angry
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by littlehooper5: 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Sharrap.
All those scams ur govs do announce and write on paper are now devt?

IT'S ONLY A FOOLISH PERSON THAT WILL STAY FAR OFF N COMMENT BASED ON WHAT HE /SHE DOESN'T SEE LIKE YOU.
COME TO OSUN N SEE D DIFFERENCE..
SW GOVERNORS ARE NOT LIKE YOUR SE GOVERNORS THAT WASTE ALLOCATION MONEY ON ELECTION CAMPAIGN N BUY CARS FOR DIRECTORS FOR HELPING THEM IN MANIPULATING N RIGGING ELECTION ..

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Pattey(m): 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2013
Italiano1:

Now this is a thinking Ibo man.

The SE will start to progress when there is a reduction in migration to other parts of Nigeria and more importantly when they shun individualism and learn to hold their leaders to account. Orji Kalu is an Ibo hero despite the fact that he left Abia in a pathetic state. He built a 100 room mansion in his village even when the roads that lead to it are virtually impassable.

Yet he is a hero
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by highmood(m): 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
collynzo2: When the likes of you are sitting down somewhere in Lagos, whom do you expect to hold the government to ransome?
The problem is that Igbos travel a lot and the few who stay back are too docile to ask the government on seat questions.
I said it before that South Eastern governors have the easiest ride in Nigeria and some were trying to argue with me.
Igbos are more interested in crtiticising the government of where they live rather than the government of where they are from. Would you blame them?
my brother I support u in toto. The ppl that ought to hold the government accountable are in other states rather than their native homes thereby leaving the states for rogues and businessmen to run. I am seeing a situation where the oppression from other regions especially the south-south and the south-west abd the north will force many Ibos to return back to their homes where they will be totally disappointed with the government. Nothing is actually going on in the south-east. Anambra that would have been the hub of commercial activities in Nigeria after Lagos is unsafe, underdeveloped, and illegal business activities going on. If the number of buildings, companies, businesses, houses, etc the igbos have in Lagos, kano and many cities in Nigeria is situated in the southeast, I can't just imagine what the southeast part of Nigeria would have been called by now. I envy the yorubas and even the hausas, hardly will u find thier businesses, buildings outside thier region. IBO WISE UP! Like what my priest would say, if u build one in the city, return home and build another.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Accidental Discharge Kills 2 Soldiers During Training / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister / Tinubu/Shettima Campaign Fabric Being Printed For The Presidential Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.