Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,209 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

The Dearth Of Development In The South-east - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Dearth Of Development In The South-east (24713 Views)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / Politics Of Development. And Underdevelopment / The Six Geographical Regions In Nigeria in Order Of Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ujoinme: 12:27am On Nov 24, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm writing this to register my displeasure with the almost absence of huge development in the South-East of the country. I have looked round the country and have discovered that, it's probably in the South-East of the country that you have the lowest numbers of development, especially capital development going on. I recently saw a thread on stadiums being built by state governments and none of these stadiums are been built by South-East governments. Governments all over the country are embarking on building New Airports in their states but none of these states are South-East states. States all over the federation are setting up tourism havens but not in the South-East and this brings me to the question, what do South-East governors use their allocation for cos i've not seen any project in the SE worth jumping up for save for a few mostly in Enugu. As an Igbo man, i find it embarassing that when it's time to even boast about what my part of the country has done, there's very little that one can be proud of. I'm even looking to see if something is going on in Asaba to even use that to boast but despite the fact that some things have been achieved in Asaba, it's still a growing city. Right now, Enugu is all there is to be boastful about in the SE and i think it's a shame that a people who pride themselves in commerce are lagging behind big time in a country that can't even be said to be developing. I think the major problem is one of leadership. We probably boast of the worst leaders that this country has produced. We have to make do with all these Ogbete leaders that our states keep churning out. For heaven sake, what business has Theodore has in becoming an LGA chairman let alone a state governor. is there nobody that can do better than Martin Elechi? Is Peter Obi the best Anambra can boast of? When will Rochas start attracting big time investors to Imo state who are not coming to setup up cheap hotels. The SE needs our attention and it has to be very fast.

My two cents/Kobo:

The development of a regional developmental frame work is what is needed to move the southeast towards attaining it developmental goals!
The idea of each state doing their own thing without recourse to areas of relative advantage is the bane of south east ala Nigeria

All the 5 states that make up the region needs to sit down on one table and draw a regional developmental plan and follow be it 10 or 20 yrs plan with each state focused on playing its own path based on area of its relative advantage.

this will also work for every region in the country.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by macof(m): 12:36am On Nov 24, 2013
odua boy:
www.nairaland.com/1526538/ijebu-jebusites-what-myth/6#1526538.208

A thread on ur tribes history. I think u need to see this
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Onlytruth(m): 12:52am On Nov 24, 2013
ujoinme:

My two cents/Kobo:

The development of a regional developmental frame work is what is needed to move the southeast towards attaining it developmental goals!
The idea of each state doing their own thing without recourse to areas of relative advantage is the bane of south east ala Nigeria

All the 5 states that make up the region needs to sit down on one table and draw a regional developmental plan and follow be it 10 or 20 yrs plan with each state focused on playing its own path based on area of its relative advantage.

Thank you! This is why I lamented the fact that Soludo did not emerge in Anambra state. I am still holding faith that his type will emerge from Enugu or Abia state in 2015. This Willie Obiano guy doesn't sound or look charismatic enough. It takes lots of charisma to drag along group interests in the SE where everybody sees himself as king.

Without sub regional cooperation, SE is doomed!

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by manny4life(m): 1:23am On Nov 24, 2013
Day in day out, we discuss the same issue, the SE cannot develop without a plan. Fact is Igbos in the SE are docile, anyone who fails to plan is likely to fail...

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ujoinme: 1:35am On Nov 24, 2013
manny4life: Day in day out, we discuss the same issue, the SE cannot develop without a plan. Fact is Igbos in the SE are docile, anyone who fails to plan is likely to fail...

I disagree with you ,Igbos are not docile infact they are the most hard working of all Nigeria Major tribes and the most resourceful too. All it takes is for them to look into a big picture rather than focusing on individual goals.

An average Igbo man wants to make a lot of money in his trade outside of his enclave, Once that is done he wants to go back and contribute his quota in his village by building a big house there which he only uses when he is on vacation during the end of the year.

this they have achieved 100% If you travel to any village in Igbo land as i have contrary to other villages in Nigeria,what you will see are mansions everywhere most with no good access roads.

once the vision shifts to making money at home and plugging into a bigger vision of contributing to a regional plan that will benefit everyone rather than individual goals it will uplift the entire region and will place the region on a path that will put them at number 1 in the nation.
All they need is leadership to create that big picture in which everyone at home and abroad can buy into

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by manny4life(m): 1:59am On Nov 24, 2013
ujoinme:

I disagree with you ,Igbos are not docile infact they are the most hard working of all Nigeria Major tribes and the most resourceful too. All it takes is for them to look into a big picture rather than focusing on individual goals.

Docile in the context of asserting our rights and holding our govt accountable, for instance, Anambra as a state doesn't have LGA Chairpersons, rather they have a caretaker committee, how will development take place when you don't even know the govt is supposed to be about you the citizen?Looking at the big picture is one part, however, the govt play an important role in establishing necessary infrastructures that will engage them in looking that part. Per my example, how can you expect them to think of the big picture where Peter Obi is siphoning all the monies meant for the LG into govt coffers and the LG looking awful. Let govt provide the necessary infrastructure, and they will think collectively rather than individually.

An average Igbo man wants to make a lot of money in his trade outside of his enclave, Once that is done he wants to go back and contribute his quota in his village by building a big house there which he only uses when he is on vacation during the end of the year.

There is nothing wrong in this model, according to economist around the world, an economy thrives well when there's large small and medium business/enterprises. What we should be more worried about is him making the money in his enclave and to do so, our state govt must entice them. For instance, Onitsha river port was dredged, have you heard of Peter Obi assuming responsibility of bring it to life? Moving interstate commercial goods across the river will encourage that Igbo man to wanna establish his company in Onitsha rather than import... After all, the purpose of wealth is to spend it whether on yourself as a gift to others.

this they have achieved 100% If you travel to any village in Igbo land as i have you will see these mansions everywhere most with no good access roads.

This goes back to the docility I speak of, the LGA's are responsible for building inner city road that don't interfere with state or federal roads. How do you expect someone who has worked well, paid his taxes, fees and dues to tar the road to his mansion? Let the LGA's do their jobs, their job is providing BASIC amenities within the city.

once the vision shifts to making money at home and plugging into a bigger vision of contributing to a regional plan that will benefit everyone rather than individual goals it will uplift the entire region and will place the region on a path that will put them at number 1 in the nation.

I'm all for regional plan, but regional plan will FAIL if the supporting components aren't structured well. We need a govt that doesn't control everything. For instance, the state of Texas is about 3x bigger than the whole SE combined, but Texas delegated governing authorities to cities like Houston, Dallas, etc to generate their own revenues and run their govt. These cities DO NOT depend on state govt budget be it education to healthcare, they operate their own, all that the state worries about are smaller geographical areas that don't have that capacity. So regional integration is GOOD, but we need the right components.

Whether regional or statewide, we need to redefine roles of governments so that developments will filter through everywhere. Imagine cities like Nnewi and Onitsha having authorities to generate their own revenues, in a few years, Nnewi's revenue will be sufficient enough to donate to other cities and issues like the ones you raised won't be a problem.

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ujoinme: 2:14am On Nov 24, 2013
mannylife: Docile in the context of asserting our rights and holding our govt accountable, for instance, Anambra as a state doesn't have LGA Chairpersons, rather they have a caretaker committee, how will development take place when you don't even know the govt is supposed to be about you the citizen?Looking at the big picture is one part, however, the govt play an important role in establishing necessary infrastructures that will engage them in looking that part. Per my example, how can you expect them to think of the big picture where Peter Obi is siphoning all the monies meant for the LG into govt coffers and the LG looking awful. Let govt provide the necessary infrastructure, and they will think collectively rather than individually

Docility in the context you described is not a problem peculiar to the SE alone but the whole country. Igbos are making money everywhere around the country where the govt. is not providing all those amenities that you mentioned. The question to you is how do they do it? If you can answer that question them i will tell you that they can do same at home even without those infrastructures you mentioned.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ujoinme: 2:32am On Nov 24, 2013
When i speak of the kind of leadership to drive the big picture agenda for the SE am not refering to political leadership but to business leadership a collective of all the successful and resourceful business men that abound in igboland home and abroad and collapsing individual goals or aligning it with the big picture agenda. This is what will drive this initiative for the benefit of the whole region.
It will be good if the political leadership will follow suit but as a student of history i doubt that this will be the case in the initial stage as the SE states are amongst decentralized states and hence political cohesion will be very difficult to attain here.

But if the people buy into the big picture then politics/ political policies will also follow for politics follow numbers ie game of numbers and numbers reside with the people.because political leadership will come from the people who have imbibed the big picture agenda and hence the policy will align.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by agbameta: 2:36am On Nov 24, 2013
ifechez:

ewu yirober!!!! sabmillers in Onitsha, three shopping malls in anambra; each in awka, onitsha, and nnewi. four five star hotels; each in agulu, Onitsha, awka and nnewi. A power plant in anambra. The biggest distilleries in Africa is setting up it's plant in Onitsha under PPA arrangement. Heinze is also coming on board in Onitsha. Nest oil is building it's power plant at Okija. besides, innoson wud not have succeeded without the encouragement from the entire south east governments especially anambra.

That's it? That's all you fit attribute to the whole of iboland? You know you justconfirmed the OP's assertions sha? smh...
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by ChimaAgbalajob: 4:05am On Nov 24, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm writing this to register my displeasure with the almost absence of huge development in the South-East of the country. I have looked round the country and have discovered that, it's probably in the South-East of the country that you have the lowest numbers of development, especially capital development going on. I recently saw a thread on stadiums being built by state governments and none of these stadiums are been built by South-East governments. Governments all over the country are embarking on building New Airports in their states but none of these states are South-East states. States all over the federation are setting up tourism havens but not in the South-East and this brings me to the question, what do South-East governors use their allocation for cos i've not seen any project in the SE worth jumping up for save for a few mostly in Enugu. As an Igbo man, i find it embarassing that when it's time to even boast about what my part of the country has done, there's very little that one can be proud of. I'm even looking to see if something is going on in Asaba to even use that to boast but despite the fact that some things have been achieved in Asaba, it's still a growing city. Right now, Enugu is all there is to be boastful about in the SE and i think it's a shame that a people who pride themselves in commerce are lagging behind big time in a country that can't even be said to be developing. I think the major problem is one of leadership. We probably boast of the worst leaders that this country has produced. We have to make do with all these Ogbete leaders that our states keep churning out. For heaven sake, what business has Theodore has in becoming an LGA chairman let alone a state governor. is there nobody that can do better than Martin Elechi? Is Peter Obi the best Anambra can boast of? When will Rochas start attracting big time investors to Imo state who are not coming to setup up cheap hotels. The SE needs our attention and it has to be very fast.

Bros, i don't agree with you, but all is entitled to their opinion.
The only thing i know is wrong in SE is that the state governments are not working together as they need to assist strategic industries.If one attempts to build a shopping mall, an airport or attempt a monorail, all of them suddenly want to do the "reigning thing" which is build shopping malls, airports and monorail. grin grin grin grin grin

The South East Development initiative (SEDI, a body of professionals from varied fields) have long reasoned like you and have mapped out areas of cooperation between the SE state governments in the economic interest of the zone.These professionals have found it so difficult to get the SE governments to cooperate on these development issues. Think of Nkalagu area with one of the largest limestone deposits in Africa,but has no functional cement factory! Because Ebonyi state wants to do it alone because the area falls under its territory,but they don't have the financial muscle to do it without help from other sister states, help which they will not seek. We still have local thinking governors than the types with big visionary ideas who think outside the box and the border of their states & LGAs.

Again, except for Gov. Chime who have created enabling environment by constant renewal and modernization of Enugu city in spite of his meager allocation, easy land acquisition for businesses willing to invest in his state, most of the other SE governors have no clue whatsoever of how to make their major cities and state capital liveable or expand in an organized sustainable way.

Mind you, I am not even advocating for any expensive town planning protocol to demolish peoples houses in the name of town planning as Rochas have been doing,but simply adopting the Katsina city and Minna example of building a RING ROAD around the old city to enable future development of a modern city beyond the fringes of the old city is a fantastic way to modernize without demolishing age long structures, which none of the SE governors have even noticed talkless of copy.

Just like,the Benin By-pass have created new areas for economic, industrial development and housing.Imagine for example the endless new opportunities a ring road created for Owerri city starting from Orogwe junction on Owerri-Onitsha expressway that swings around World bank Housing estate and Owerri city to end at Emekuku junction on Owerri-Aba expressway.Imagine the new areas that will suddenly be available for industries,housing and orderly expansion of Owerri City!
Only Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife tried to institute a ring road system for development of a modern Awka city, but he was removed from office before he could start the ring road. No other governor ever thought in that direction to build a modern city in Awka.Which is sadly making Awka another 21st century concrete slum in development before our very eyes.

4 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 24, 2013
Aigbofa:

Why don't you start by naming these multinationals? Lagos/Ogun alone are home to about 60% of all manufacturing going on in Nigeria. If for the sake of argument the rest of the SW holds only 5%, that is a whooping 65% of all manufacturing in Nigeria.
The remaining 35% you have to share between the SE, the north and other parts of Nigeria.
There's no competition here, just jealousy.

Am telling u that majority of manufacturing outfit in SW are not owned by yorubas.
Stop attaching to what is not urs.
Lagos and Ogun indeed
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Kingspin(m): 7:01am On Nov 24, 2013
While the East is waiting for governmental development, the people of the zone should continue on their personal or individual development because, thats what is sustaining the East not the government. The citizens are not lazy but, hard working while waiting for the government of the people. Infrastructures is uppermost.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oneeast1: 7:41am On Nov 24, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Bros, i don't agree with you, but all is entitled to their opinion.
The only thing i know is wrong in SE is that the state governments are not working together as they need to assist strategic industries.If one attempts to build a shopping mall, an airport or attempt a monorail, all of them suddenly want to do the "reigning thing" which is build shopping malls, airports and monorail. grin grin grin grin grin

The South East Development initiative (SEDI, a body of professionals from varied fields) have long reasoned like you and have mapped out areas of cooperation between the SE state governments in the economic interest of the zone.These professionals have found it so difficult to get the SE governments to cooperate on these development issues. Think of Nkalagu area with one of the largest limestone deposits in Africa,but has no functional cement factory! Because Ebonyi state wants to do it alone because the area falls under its territory,but they don't have the financial muscle to do it without help from other sister states, help which they will not seek. We still have local thinking governors than the types with big visionary ideas who think outside the box and the border of their states & LGAs.

Again, except for Gov. Chime who have created enabling environment by constant renewal and modernization of Enugu city in spite of his meager allocation, easy land acquisition for businesses willing to invest in his state, most of the other SE governors have no clue whatsoever of how to make their major cities and state capital liveable or expand in an organized sustainable way.

Mind you, I am not even advocating for any expensive town planning protocol to demolish peoples houses in the name of town planning as Rochas have been doing,but simply adopting the Katsina city and Minna example of building a RING ROAD around the old city to enable future development of a modern city beyond the fringes of the old city is a fantastic way to modernize without demolishing age long structures, which none of the SE governors have even noticed talkless of copy.

Just like,the Benin By-pass have created new areas for economic, industrial development and housing.Imagine for example the endless new opportunities a ring road created for Owerri city starting from Orogwe junction on Owerri-Onitsha expressway that swings around World bank Housing estate and Owerri city to end at Emekuku junction on Owerri-Aba expressway.Imagine the new areas that will suddenly be available for industries,housing and orderly expansion of Owerri City!
Only Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife tried to institute a ring road system for development of a modern Awka city, but he was removed from office before he could start the ring road. No other governor ever thought in that direction to build a modern city in Awka.Which is sadly making Awka another 21st century concrete slum in development before our very eyes.

The Greenwood city construction has taken off in Awka with a massive dual carriage ring roads. This will create another city within the city. Even the urban masterplan has taken off, because I have seen demolition and road expansion going at Amawbia bye-pass and its environs. The same urban expansion and renewal is going on in Onitsha also.

Joe-Martins Uzodike, Anambra State Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, on Wednesday, announced that the state government has approved N10.6 billion for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of some roads in the metropolis.

The commissioner disclosed this to journalists at the end of the council’s meeting in Awka.

Gov Obi According to him, the construction of access roads at Green Wood City, Awka, was awarded at the cost of N3.6 billion, while the Umueje-Aguleri Road would cost five billion naira.

Uzodike said Onitsha-Obosi and Nkpor roads would cost two billion naira, adding that other roads billed for re-construction include a 1.5 km road from MINAJ-Nkpor-Obosi Road, Army Barracks gate-Onitsha-Asaba dual-carriage way.

He listed the others as Azubuike Street to Limca Road, Onitsha, Ezeabor, Nanka, Isionye and Enugu Ozalla streets to Nkpor Junction.

The commissioner said the roads would be completed within 18 months.

Uzodike also revealed that the sum of N350 million was approved for the completion of a tourist centre at Agulu Lake as well as N750 million for the 50-room Onitsha Hotel expected to be completed in nine months - See more at: http://thebusinessdispatch.com/anambra-earmarks-n10-6b-on-road-reconstruction/#sthash.PKT1DOou.dpuf
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by oduaboy1: 7:54am On Nov 24, 2013
ngozieverdumb:

Everybody in this country has used Aba made products ranging from electrical wires, tools to slippers, even many of ur boutique' clothes.
What is everybody is using aba made products.Only poor people like you make use of all this counterfited products,is dangote.adenuga,otedola,e.t.c using aba made.
ngozieverdumb: I mean everybody.
About industries, I mean indigenous industries.
In SW,
Rubbish,who are you to tell us the type of industries to use in the discourse,remember you claimed southeast has the highest no of industries in nigeria both foreign and indeginious owned.Just stick to your claims and defend.
Ngozieverdumb:
even poultries are owned by foreigners, ur laziness is too much
So foreigners travelled all the way from their various countries just own to a mere poultry in southwest nigeria.Oya clap for yourself.
Your dumbness is legendary.

3 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 24, 2013
ujoinme:

My two cents/Kobo:

something like this could have started between imo and anambra with ngige and rochas.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by bashydemy(m): 8:51am On Nov 24, 2013
Kponkwem: The region receives the lowest allocation, check ur records. But the number of housing estates across the cities in the south east is opening up new areas. New investments especially SME are coming in.
BTW can u show me just one city in SW that is better than any of the SE capitals?
The development going on in Ogun State and Osun state alone under 2yrs of APC Government is better 8yrs of Peter Obi, Orji combined
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by bashydemy(m): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2013
geeez:

Hmm Osun

Let me think

Osun state's GDP for 2012 is higher than the GDP of any SE state

I wished I could go on but just ruminate on that

BRB

Oga this will answer you better.
http://www.nigerianwatch.com/news/1420-diasporans-contribute-more-to-nigerias-gdp-than-34-of-its-36-states
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 9:33am On Nov 24, 2013
How many of you have visit your Government and offered solutions or even asked governments for proof of where the money has gone we have to be the ones that champion progress in our community. Let us make an effort to be part of the solution, it's one thing to vote but another thing to make sure the leaders are held accountable.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 9:41am On Nov 24, 2013

When was the last time you have gone to your leadership and questioned them or even brought solutions. The problem is THE PEOPLE

Responsible people can not be lead by irresponsible leaders. Nigerians leaders do what they want because the masses don't hold them accountable. We can make noise online but according to my experience when I visit my Governor and commissioners people rarely come to their office unless they are looking for contracts.

I challenge anyone here on this thread to pick up the courage and put together an action committee, go to your State government office and make your voices heard. I advise you to have solutions and follow up after your visit. They will never turn you down. Obi even came to a meeting in America with local traditional rulers and some of the progress you see is because of what NID demanded including the fixed roads in Nnewi. It is easy to complain and point fingers but when you point one finger 4 more are pointing back.

1 Like

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 24, 2013
odua boy: What is everybody is using aba made products.Only poor people like you make use of all this counterfited products,is dangote.adenuga,otedola,e.t.c using aba made.
Rubbish,who are you to tell us the type of industries to use in the discourse,remember you claimed southeast has the highest no of industries in nigeria both foreign and indeginious owned.Just stick to your claims and defend.
So foreigners travelled all the way from their various countries just own to a mere poultry in southwest nigeria.Oya clap for yourself.
Your dumbness is legendary.

- Everybody has used Aba made product: its not for argument.
- Yes, SE has the highest number of indigenous industries in Nigeria, prove me wrong.
It hosts the biggest mkts in Nigeria/WA.
Aside Lagos, how many Intl mkts are in SW.
- Am telling u, go and inquire abt the ownership of ventures in SW, u will see that ur ppl are lazy.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 24, 2013
bashy_demy: The development going on in Ogun State and Osun state alone under 2yrs of APC Government is better 8yrs of Peter Obi, Orji combined

Sharrap.
All those scams ur govs do announce and write on paper are now devt?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 9:48am On Nov 24, 2013
manny4life: Day in day out, we discuss the same issue, the SE cannot develop without a plan. Fact is Igbos in the SE are docile, anyone who fails to plan is likely to fail...
I agree with you how many people would know what to do if they were in office right now. If you know what to do take action and offer a solution and see what comes out of it. My people just wait yo see what happens in the community instead of making something happen. The idea to give principles in the school money and have the parents hold them accountable came from a group meeting held by NID. Most of my family in Nigeria is only worried about what is happening to them. We have lost the heart to fight for the community at large that is why the leaders have been doing what they want, the people have refused to hold them accountable. It is our own fault that the SE is underdeveloped! embarassed
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 24, 2013
biafranqueen: How many of you have visit your Government and offered solutions or even asked gorgeous accountability?

Hehe.
Lady, You'v forgotten this is 'Nigeria' .

Most development solutions are never welcomed with good hands.

Its not today good initiatives get thrown to the dogs, so please save us that. !
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Ayekotoo(m): 10:05am On Nov 24, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Pls, don't tell me anything abt oil ppl cos corruption and embezzlement of public funds are their watchwords.
All the other tnz u mentioned are in every other region
The fact u are able to list them shows they are not much, imagine talking abt pharmacy.
Pharmacy?!
Smh

for every Igbo Tv station, there are 10 yoruba TV stations. for every Igbo aviation coy, there are five owned by yoruba. for every Igbo owned restaurant, there are ten owned by yorubas. for every Igbo financial coy, there are ten owned by yorubas etc. like I said if u want to engage, kindly list your area of concentration.

2 Likes

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 24, 2013
Visit the Niger-Delta creeks and you'll withdraw your statement Mr. OP
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 10:16am On Nov 24, 2013
collynzo2: When the likes of you are sitting down somewhere in Lagos, whom do you expect to hold the government to ransome?
The problem is that Igbos travel a lot and the few who stay back are too docile to ask the government on seat questions.
I said it before that South Eastern governors have the easiest ride in Nigeria and some were trying to argue with me.
Igbos are more interested in crtiticising the government of where they live rather than the government of where they are from. Would you blame them?
You are on point !
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by biafranqueen: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2013
St_Black:

Hehe.
Lady, You'v forgotten this is 'Nigeria' .

Most development solutions are never welcomed with good hands.

Its not today good initiatives get thrown to the dogs, so please save us that. !
so which governor did you approach and when?
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Abagworo(m): 10:59am On Nov 24, 2013
Southeast has been receiving the least funds in Nigeria for more than 40 years but we are thriving. Our major problem remains public utilities, urban renewal, pipe-borne water and good refuse disposal in our cities. In terms of housing, Southeast is far ahead of the rest of the country. Our houses look dirty now because of bad roads and secondly some parts that have laterite surface soil that tends to discolor houses after every harmattan. Our economic hopes lies in Anambra and Abia which actually could have been leading the rest of Africa if not for misplaced priorities by successive governments. The biggest mistake was making Awka and Umuahia capital of Anambra and Abia and in that process denying the required formal/public sector from merging with commerce and industry to create a Kano or Ibadan in Igboland where a State capital will be fully commercial and industrial.

Why have I been a major critic of Peter Obi? From every information at my reach, he tried better than the other Governors before him and that is commendable but if he had focused on Onitsha in particular and Nnewi most of Igboland will be affected positively.

Now these are pictures from Aba and Onitsha which was developed through individual efforts without Goverment contribution.

Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by asha80(m): 11:06am On Nov 24, 2013
Abagworo: Southeast has been receiving the least funds in Nigeria for more than 40 years but we are thriving. Our major problem remains public utilities, urban renewal, pipe-borne water and good refuse disposal in our cities. In terms of housing, Southeast is far ahead of the rest of the country. Our houses look dirty now because of bad roads and secondly some parts that have laterite surface soil that tends to discolor houses after every harmattan. Our economic hopes lies in Anambra and Abia which actually could have been leading the rest of Africa if not for misplaced priorities by successive governments. The biggest mistake was making Awka and Umuahia capital of Anambra and Abia and in that process denying the required formal/public sector from merging with commerce and industry to create a Kano or Ibadan in Igboland where a State capital will be fully commercial and industrial.

Why have I been a major critic of Peter Obi? From every information at my reach, he tried better than the other Governors before him and that is commendable but if he had focused on Onitsha in particular and Nnewi most of Igboland will be affected positively.

Now these are pictures from Aba and Onitsha which was developed through individual efforts without Goverment contribution.
onitsha is geographically small to be a capital(not including surrounding towns like obosi,,oba,nkwelle ezunaka,nkpor etc)....aba is more like it.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 24, 2013
biafranqueen: so which governor did you approach and when?

Why ask that?

Though I might not have a first-hand experience of that, I unarguable have witnessed a similar scenario.

...And perhaps, what gies you the conviction that your ideas will be welcomed when presented? PLS TALK.
Re: The Dearth Of Development In The South-east by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 24, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Lwkmd.
As we are dealing with this issue here, it is not to say u ppl are not worse off.
Its just that we feel SE can still be better considering who we are.
Non lagos SW is already a poor region to compare to, and igbos should not be rubbing shoulders with u and hausas.

Its all in your head.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Presents 10 Cars To Outstanding Civil Servants In Lagos / Sanwo-Olu Signs VAT Bill Into Law / Nigerians React To Nduka Obaigbena's Reported Neglect Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.