Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

49 House Members Decamp To APC - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 49 House Members Decamp To APC (30773 Views)

Rivers: 500 APC Members Decamp To PDP / 7,000 APC Members Decamp To PDP / 37 PDP House Of Reps Members Decamp To The APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Delafruita(m): 10:28am On Nov 27, 2013
X-factoria:

You must have some illusion about the geographical area and the people of the North. If you are thinking the north is Kano and Sokoto or Hausa/Fulani you have a lot to learn. Let me remind you that what you refer to as the North comprise of Taraba, Gombe, Benue, Plateau, Kaduna, Kogi, Kwara, Niger and Adamawa all of which have sizable population of Christians and minority tribes who don't give a damn about the call for a return of power to the north because it won't serve their interests. It has never been in their interest and they are no fools!

Jonathan will only be a fool by not exploiting this obvious divide in the north. A strategists would tell him the home truth - to forget about Kano and Sokoto. He can never win there! If I were him, I will start right now to pump money and empower people in these aforementioned "swing" states, give them juicy political appointments and court their leaders - both political and traditional. He has all the oil money to buy anybody. Goodluck to him sha.
personally,I have my doubts about the ability of the APC to wrest power from PDP in 2015.its one thing to take a state,but the centre is a different ball game.however,the northern political bloc is one that finds its strenght in unity of purpose and interest.in reality,the performance or allegiance of the northern governors don't matter,the majority of the northern votes will go wherever the northern elite decides it should go.if its unwilling to go that way,they'd rig it that way.GEJ pinning his hopes on the christian minority or the south east and south south will be unwise.no amount of federal money pumped into the north will give him the votes unless he gets the support of the political and royal elite of the north.obasanjo realised that in 2003 which is why he acted the fool with atiku.

Its understandable that the migrating PDP governors might have clashes with those controlling the APc structure in their states but as is said of poolitics:interests matter more.do I see oyinlola and aregbe working together?fatah and belgore?the coming together of strange bedfellows isn't alien to our politics so anything is possible.

It is my sincere hope that the foundation of the APC is strong enough to withstand and accomodate the varying interests the migration will bring along.it will be unfortunate if it goes the way of kenya's rainbow coalition
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by fuke(m): 10:28am On Nov 27, 2013
emorse: All in preparation for 2015. Will a change of party make these guys better people? This only goes to show that no political party in Nigeria is trustworthy.

You people are getting it wrong.

Any coalition to push PDP out is welcome.

When we push them out we will sort ourselves out.

Any government is better than this one.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by pcnwamadi(m): 10:29am On Nov 27, 2013
kbdrim: The beauty of what is happening right now in PDP is that balance of play is shifted to the centre. Even if the opposition does not win in 2015, the margin would not be too much which keeps any winning party on its toes. Nigeria is gradually moving to a two party state and that too is good for the country.
One of the attractions of the APC to the 5 governors is that the APC would recognise their worth and contribution as both the APC and nPDP need each other to make progress. Anyone who thinks these governors do not have a major influence in their states should think long and hard. Past governors who have started their own parties(Orji Uzo Kalu, Ladoja and Gbenga Daniel) have shown that it is still possible to upset the cart. The advantage the current defecting governors in the north have is that for the first time they would also be riding in the same party with Buhari who still has a cult following in the north. 2015 presents a very interesting challenge for Nigerian politics.
I will not be shocked if other smart governors join the ranks of the APC especially in the North as it is easier to ride with the mass movement than against.2011 comes to mind
I agree wit u to an extent. In Rivers state were I come from, amaechi has no influence one bit. Watch and see if he will not be removed as governor come January court judgement. He has moved all his family members to American, cos he knows winter is comin, and its comin hard on him. Lol. People tink Jonathan is daft, cos doesnt talk much like a normal Nigerian is known for. He takes action and u dont see him coming
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by cashkid: 10:30am On Nov 27, 2013
figment232: Rubbish! time will tell
sit dwn in ur rum and be saying nonsense, it is only jonathan and his cohorts that knw wat they are going tru now!

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 27, 2013
IS THE PDP FACTIONISED OR NOT? how will their seat be declared VACANT?
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by figment232(m): 10:31am On Nov 27, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Why are you people so lazy that you can't lookup simple information, but instead you'll confidently make pronouncements which project you as uninformed?

The constitution allows for these house members to decamp, in fact Section 68 (1) of the 1999 Constitution allows defection of any lawmaker if there is division in the political party of which he was previously a member or a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.

Their seats cannot be constitutionally rendered vacant. I expect additional defection from the house and senate in coming days. I'm sorry to say that GEJ's days are numbered.

Point of correction its only a division recognised by inec.

2 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by cashkid: 10:32am On Nov 27, 2013
pcnwamadi:
I agree wit u to an extent. In Rivers state were I come from, amaechi has no influence one bit. Watch and see if he will not be removed as governor come January court judgement. He has moved all his family members to American, cos he knows winter is comin, and its comin hard on him. Lol. People tink Jonathan is daft, cos doesnt talk much like a normal Nigerian is known for. He takes action and u dont see him coming
and others too will be removed abi?
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Elxandre(m): 10:34am On Nov 27, 2013
Obama becoming a republican is nobody's business, because only presidential debates gets to sway the voters to vote you in.
But in Nigeria what wins you an election is what party you belong to, who your Godfathers are, what your Godfather stands to gain.

Shame on this greedy opportunistic polithiefians and their supporters.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Reference(m): 10:36am On Nov 27, 2013
Its an expected and perhaps good development considering the number of seats, etc. But whether these individuals are really popular and were duly elected is another matter. The governors for one are all going to lose power, resources and influence so their impact will be moderate at best.

It makes for interesting times. We are moving forward.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by TechWalker007: 10:37am On Nov 27, 2013
HAHAHAHAHA!

See "corrupt" politicians from PDP defecting and "Progressives" are celebrating!

HEHEHEHEHE!

I have been shouting that these APC fellows are the worst hypocrites and enemy of Nigeria and I have been vindicated.
My staunch APC colleagues had no voice in office today, I ate them raw!!!

5 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by TechWalker007: 10:41am On Nov 27, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Why are you people so lazy that you can't lookup simple information, but instead you'll confidently make pronouncements which project you as uninformed?

The constitution allows for these house members to decamp, in fact Section 68 (1) of the 1999 Constitution allows defection of any lawmaker if there is division in the political party of which he was previously a member or a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.

Their seats cannot be constitutionally rendered vacant. I expect additional defection from the house and senate in coming days. I'm sorry to say that GEJ's days are numbered.

Oga, the said division must be a legal one recognized by both parties and the INEC.
You just mis-interpreted the constitution.

Did you listen to Bamidele Aturu on Channels TV?

3 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by nduchucks: 10:42am On Nov 27, 2013
taharqa: And who told you there is legally any 'Division' or 'faction' in d PDP? Abi, you nova hear of d Court's pronouncement on that mata... Stay there and watch real politics play out in d days and weeks to come..

Continue to deceive yourself. According to you, only one faction of PDP existed before now, there was no division whatsoever in the PDP, nPDP/G7 are simply figments of people's imaginations, and PDP was so united that they publicly told some of their key members to go and join APC just to show the togetherness within PDP.

As a matter of fact, to any Nigerian, G7 is the name of a forum which brought together the heads of the richest industrialized countries: France, West Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States. mumu

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by taharqa: 10:43am On Nov 27, 2013
donphilopus: You're always shouting Legislators! What happened to Sen Robert Ajayi Borofice, when he defected from LP to the then ACN??
LP resemble PDP, abi?? Shebi, you dey confuse dem two? Don't worry sha, you wud know d diff soon enuf.... Moreova, may be you do not know, LP has since requested that his seat be declared Vacant and David Mark almost did so but for a court case delaying d whole tin..
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by taharqa: 10:45am On Nov 27, 2013
Ozonna:

By what u wrote here, i believe that the easiest way for APC to lose 2015 elecions is by making you their chief political strategist grin.
lol.... The guy na reali heavy Clown I swear grin
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by nduchucks: 10:45am On Nov 27, 2013
TechWalker007:

Oga, the said division must be a legal one recognized by both parties and the INEC.
You just mis-interpreted the constitution.

Did you listen to Bamidele Aturu on Channels TV?

Aturu is doing what lawyers do best, making money by representing any side of the coin.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Afritop(m): 10:49am On Nov 27, 2013
There are no political party in this country. They are all synonymous to group of mafians, terrorist organisations and cultists. Because one person decamps to another party you all decided to follow suit. It makes no sense

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by donphilopus: 10:50am On Nov 27, 2013
taharqa: LP resemble PDP, abi?? Shebi, you dey confuse dem two? Don't worry sha, you wud know d diff soon enuf.... Moreova, may be you do not know, LP has since requested that his seat be declared Vacant and David Mark almost did so but for a court case delaying d whole tin..
Sit down there and be shouting "their seats would be declared vacant". Go up and read Ndu Chucks post.

6 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by ChrisGnarly: 10:51am On Nov 27, 2013
my friends n brothers talking about inpeeching d president, i dont think is easy, infact its imposible to inpeach a siting nigerian president, if u dont know ur constitution go n know d power of a nigerian president. i lv this happening in nigerian politics dont u think that it will make politicians serious? infact we ar approachiny to d said nigerian division. any attempt to unseat d president or to shift power to d north will simply divide d country as soon as posible if u dont know dis u dont know anything. am nt a fan of mr president nor apc bt what i know is that any attempt to islamise nigeria which is d aim of apc thank God it will fulfill our aim and desire of the end to d falsfull mariage aka nigeria....

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by TechWalker007: 10:52am On Nov 27, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Aturu is doing what lawyers do best, making money by representing any side of the coin.

I am not talking about representation in court but explanation of the section of the constitution you mis-interpreted.

3 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by fagin1982(m): 10:52am On Nov 27, 2013
[quote author=payless]Jonathan is about to be consumed by his lack of political width and charisma. He is being led by sycophants who don't really mean well for him except for their pockets. I expect Tambuwal and other Northern legislators to declare for APC by February. This should confirm why I said many times that PDP is a Northern party that is supported by some southern slaves mostly based in South-east and South-south. The Nigerian Constitution favours the North more than any other region because, the North dominates the National Assembly; in terms of number. There are more than 68% of PDP legislators in the House of Representatives and Senate. I expect these Northern PDP legislators to desert PDP and move to APC. Jonathan will be left with Akpabio, Orji, Obi, Mimiko, Elechi, Chime and the governor of Cross-River State, Bamanga Tukur, Anenih, Okupe, Gulak, Abati and few others.........

One thing that I know is that, you don't fight the North politically. It is never advisable to let the North have a common enemy. When you fight the North, they tend to come together and fight their opponents regardless of their party affiliations. All the Northern Governors who claim to be in support of Jonathan are currently under pressure to dump Jonathan. Governor of Bauchi and Katsina will be put under a lot of pressure by Emirs and Sultan to dump Jonathan by end of next year. These governors will definitely dump him. Normally, the Northern elites do not favor Buhari but they are ready to support Buhari to get there and deprive Jonathan the second term he so much crave. The North has been threatened by Jonathan utterances of "Igbos are my back bone" "the votes I got from the North only came from Igbos". Those utterances were wrong by the President of Nigeria. As a a matter of fact, it was Sultan of Sokoto and some Emirs who declared support for Jonathan in the North when IBB, Atiku, Adamu Ciroma and others were giving Jonathan tough time. This was at the time of tension in the North in 2011.

The goal of the North is to get anyone from their region elected as President. It doesn't matter who that person eventually is.

Jonathan and his political rookies have woken up a sleeping giant.[/quote

This is just your own understanding about politics - I advise you go amd read the History of Nothern Cameroon - The biggest mistake of the Centruy is these Northern Governors leaving a Ruling National Party to a Regional Party
Time will only tell - These Governors just sold their birth rites...Gradually Nigeria ia been emanicpated naturally from the Northerners ....Have taken your time to analyse the political strength of these Governors ..Believe me they are not strong as perceived by there gullible followers ..

Goodluck is only reading a script for them and foolishly they are playing along .........
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by omiobo: 10:53am On Nov 27, 2013
I'm waiting for Bakare's prophecy to come to reality that "there will be election presidential election before 2015". E be like say the prophecy dey come small small.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by burningspear(m): 10:53am On Nov 27, 2013
payless: Jonathan is about to be consumed by his lack of political width and charisma. He is being led by sycophants who don't really mean well for him except for their pockets. I expect Tambuwal and other Northern legislators to declare for APC by February. This should confirm why I said many times that PDP is a Northern party that is supported by some southern slaves mostly based in South-east and South-south. The Nigerian Constitution favours the North more than any other region because, the North dominates the National Assembly; in terms of number. There are more than 68% of PDP legislators in the House of Representatives and Senate. I expect these Northern PDP legislators to desert PDP and move to APC. Jonathan will be left with Akpabio, Orji, Obi, Mimiko, Elechi, Chime and the governor of Cross-River State, Bamanga Tukur, Anenih, Okupe, Gulak, Abati and few others.........

One thing that I know is that, you don't fight the North politically. It is never advisable to let the North have a common enemy. When you fight the North, they tend to come together and fight their opponents regardless of their party affiliations. All the Northern Governors who claim to be in support of Jonathan are currently under pressure to dump Jonathan. Governor of Bauchi and Katsina will be put under a lot of pressure by Emirs and Sultan to dump Jonathan by end of next year. These governors will definitely dump him. Normally, the Northern elites do not favor Buhari but they are ready to support Buhari to get there and deprive Jonathan the second term he so much crave. The North has been threatened by Jonathan utterances of "Igbos are my back bone" "the votes I got from the North only came from Igbos". Those utterances were wrong by the President of Nigeria. As a a matter of fact, it was Sultan of Sokoto and some Emirs who declared support for Jonathan in the North when IBB, Atiku, Adamu Ciroma and others were giving Jonathan tough time. This was at the time of tension in the North in 2011.

The goal of the North is to get anyone from their region elected as President. It doesn't matter who that person eventually is.

Jonathan and his political rookies have woken up a sleeping giant.

Hold your oratory! Wise men do not work by sight. What sleeping giant are you talking about? The problem shouldn't be about taking power from Jonathan. It should be that of proving good governance to the Nigerian people. Therefore, do not celebrate prematurely!
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by karlmax2: 10:54am On Nov 27, 2013
People saying npdp is a faction of pdp are just kids events in the next few days would prove this.

The court and inec has already confirmed that their is only one pdp.

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by omiobo: 10:55am On Nov 27, 2013
Is this not too much for Tinubu to handle? I dey observe!
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Gbawe: 10:56am On Nov 27, 2013
The bottom line is that the PDP , as much as it pains some to admit it, is a Northern Party. It is clannish element who do not and will never understand the process of painstakingly building a Political machinery and platform who will begin to talk foolishly of disenfranchising the Northern spine of the PDP merely because GEJ is President. They are the folks who will be in for a shock after all is said and done.

I don't particularly like the PDP but I am someone who always confront and speak the bitter truth - especially to myself. Some clannish 'newbies' should go and do some research into the rise of the PDP to note what the much maligned North contributed.

3 Likes

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by AbuMikey(m): 10:58am On Nov 27, 2013
Delafruita: its very annoying when some people comment so confidently even when they're wrong

Maybe you didn't notice this » "........"

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by duni04(m): 10:59am On Nov 27, 2013
Delafruita: personally,I have my doubts about the ability of the APC to wrest power from PDP in 2015.its one thing to take a state,but the centre is a different ball game.however,the northern political bloc is one that finds its strenght in unity of purpose and interest.in reality,the performance or allegiance of the northern governors don't matter,the majority of the northern votes will go wherever the northern elite decides it should go.if its unwilling to go that way,they'd rig it that way.GEJ pinning his hopes on the christian minority or the south east and south south will be unwise.no amount of federal money pumped into the north will give him the votes unless he gets the support of the political and royal elite of the north.obasanjo realised that in 2003 which is why he acted the fool with atiku.

Its understandable that the migrating PDP governors might have clashes with those controlling the APc structure in their states but as is said of poolitics:interests matter more.do I see oyinlola and aregbe working together?fatah and belgore?the coming together of strange bedfellows isn't alien to our politics so anything is possible.

It is my sincere hope that the foundation of the APC is strong enough to withstand and accomodate the varying interests the migration will bring along.it will be unfortunate if it goes the way of kenya's rainbow coalition
Hw bout the killer combo, segun oni of the nPDP and Kayode Fayemi of APC? U think Aregbe and Fayemi that have elections nxt year will allow oyinlola and Oni come and dislodge their political bases? Wen d time comes everybody will go back to base and APC will realise that this victory they're celebrating is a pyrric one

1 Like

Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by adonisvg(m): 11:01am On Nov 27, 2013
''Section 68(1)(g) puts the issue in perspective. It states,“A member of the Senate or of the House of Representatives shall vacate his seat in the House of which he is a member if…being a person whose election to the House was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected:
“Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.”
The latter saving proviso permits the holder of an office to move out of the party if and when there is a faction within the party or his party goes into a merger with another party or parties.

Managing Factional Crises
Constitutional provisions such as the aforementioned seem clearly meant to manage factional crises in political parties, like the current one involving PDP, New PDP, and the members of the National Assembly and the about seven governors that have identified with the splinter group.
This aspect of the constitution has been used by political office holders as a basis to dump their parties and still retain their positions.
But now, questions are being asked as to what constitutes a division or faction in a political party, and who determines whether a faction exists or not in a party, among other issues. These are questions for the courts to determine. But the split in the PDP presents an interesting scenario'' #copied
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by lastmessenger: 11:01am On Nov 27, 2013
I am just wondering why some people are happy.the same thiefs who mismanaged our resources are still the same people decamping to APC.I dont see much chang happening even if the Apc produce the next president.these men are after their pockets and care less about the suffering of masses.as far this system remains like this,i dont see much change.No country can make progress when resources from one region are shared throughout the whole regions.let us wake from slumber.i see danger looming in Niger delta if jonathan fails to win come 2015.
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by nduchucks: 11:03am On Nov 27, 2013
TechWalker007:

I am not talking about representation in court but explanation of the section of the constitution you mis-interpreted.

Oga, Aturu is positioning himself for raking in more millions by providing the said interpretation. I heard him on TV, and decerning minds know that he is full of crap, this time around. Not to worry, the shameless PDP will soon hire him to take the matter to court. By the time the case finds its way to the supreme court, the affected house members and senators would have bben reelected under APC. But we all know that, with life there is hope for PDP and GEJ cheesy
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Allohrandy(m): 11:04am On Nov 27, 2013
payless: Jonathan is about to be consumed by his lack of political width and charisma. He is being led by sycophants who don't really mean well for him except for their pockets. I expect Tambuwal and other Northern legislators to declare for APC by February. This should confirm why I said many times that PDP is a Northern party that is supported by some southern slaves mostly based in South-east and South-south. The Nigerian Constitution favours the North more than any other region because, the North dominates the National Assembly; in terms of number. There are more than 68% of PDP legislators in the House of Representatives and Senate. I expect these Northern PDP legislators to desert PDP and move to APC. Jonathan will be left with Akpabio, Orji, Obi, Mimiko, Elechi, Chime and the governor of Cross-River State, Bamanga Tukur, Anenih, Okupe, Gulak, Abati and few others.........

Jonathan and his political rookies have woken up a sleeping giant.
Olodo, you don't know anything about Nigeria polities. #GEJ 2015#
Re: 49 House Members Decamp To APC by Olugbenger(m): 11:07am On Nov 27, 2013
Allohrandy: Olodo, you don't know anything about Nigeria polities. #GEJ 2015#

polities?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tunde Fowler Lobbied For Second Term In Leaked Memo - Farooq Kperogi / Herdsmen Crisis: Akeredolu’s Membership Of APC Threatened Over Clash With Presid / Adamu, Orji Uzor Kalu Emerge Senate Leader, Chief Whip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.