Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad (37993 Views)

Lola Oguntade: How I Gave Up Everything To Campaign For Buhari / Iyabo Obasanjo, Why I Gave Up On My Dad / Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by molotov1: 3:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
deletrue: Some of you think we are as yeye and directionless as you are. Look, if not for my age, I would have sworn that God should punish you completely today. Are you happy the way Nigeria is? Can you point any individual who Obasanjo is friendly with among his followers after he left power? You dembest. Have you not been told about that money? All the explainations offered by analysts and NNPC management that it is likely that there is misunderstanding and miscalculation as to how NNPC money is channelled or appropriated, and that the money may not be stolen.
Are you happy with the role Obasanjo is playing when this old man is ever ready to turn this country to himself alone no matter the negative effects that will befall other Nigerians? Be very careful.

you're definitely typing from a laptop.
We are talking NEWS not history. Money or no missing money , you got that ? OBJ is history !
who has been in power in the last 4 years missing money or no missing money ?
Was it OBJ ?
Who's is at the helm ? During the scandals and coverups of the previous months and years
Was it OBJ ?
Was Nigeria a paradise before OBJ's letter ?
Madam ( you reason like a woman) I don't care who gave you laptop, you need to think before you open that black hole again and transfer it to post.

2 Likes

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
Seun: When Nigerian journalists want to make you look bad, they may add grammatical errors to your quotes. They've done it to me before.

www.nairaland.com/1564461/nairalanders-mum-obj
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by biafrasun: 5:41pm On Dec 21, 2013
obj is finished
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by agabaI23(m): 5:45pm On Dec 21, 2013
“In bourgeois politics, the ongoing development is called ‘realignment forces.’ In the process, those who have been excluded from the ‘come and chop’ policy of the PDP are now being asked to choose their place at the table in case the APC takes over power in 2015,” Mr. Falana said.
Lamenting that the APC leaders did not have any plan to woo the youth who constitute more than 60 per cent of the country’s voting population, Mr. Falana said the mobilisation of the past leaders and other PDP chieftains had basically shown that the opposition leaders were only interested in power.

He said, “The APC has no plan to woo the youth who constitute more than 60% of the voting population. It is the belief of the leaders of both APC and PDP that the 2015 general election is going to be fixed by the traditional manipulators of elections. This is the basis of the ongoing mobilisation of the PDP chieftains including those who cannot win elections in their own wards.

“By wooing discredited military and civilian despots who have destroyed the country since 1966, the APC has shown that it is only interested in power for the sake of power.-Falana
https://www.nairaland.com/1564397/apc-not-progressive-party-femi
We have been saying this but you guys won't listen!!!

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by LoveDecay(m): 6:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
tiwasiaife: Gej has never lost a battle. He is like David. Surely they must gather in Apc but God will surely fight 4 gej. This man has never shed a blood upon all the power he has a president. Why iyabo was able to muster courage to write this was cos she lives were integrity counts and has been thought that gud name is better than wealth. Happy are the peace makers 4 they shall knw peace.

Technically ! Gej has never fought a battle. All I see, at this point is women fighting for pres. Of the most populous black nation.

Shame woooo Jonathan, shame on you wooo, woo wooo shame !
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by callmenow: 6:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
The fallout from this fracas is huge. APC has been riding high because of the perceived weaknesses in the Jonathan administration orchestrated by OBJ. For the man on the street, who has been wondering what is going on, now knows that OBJ has been going on for far too long in the wrong direction. Jonathan has been distracted by OBJ throughout that this comeuppance from Iyabo has dealt OBJ a knockout blow. Jonathan can now focus on our refulgent economy as well as attack APC and the faceless people behind them. Lets face it, APC has no manifesto, apart from anything but Jonathan, because he is not 'one of them'. APC's momentum has now been punctured. Their showcase visit to OBJ today is no longer what it was meant to be. How APC wishes they could distance themselves from OBJ, with the collateral damage. Mark my words, OBJ and his foot soldiers will not be rushing to offer their irrelevant views in run up to the 'make or break' election which is what the politics is about. Hope this is clear enough for you.

folahann: I have read a lot of posts on this thread and I have seen a lot of people mention APC. Some called the thread an Anti-APC thread. Someone even mentioned APC as a loser because of this letter.

Can someone please analyse how a fall-out between PDP big guns take become APC issue and how it works against them.

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by callmenow: 7:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
It is duplicitous to attack @deletrue for a well reasoned argument. Jonathan has been in power for over three years now. He did not set Nigeria back in the these preceding four years. What any reasonable person in Nigeria and or the western world, expected from Jonathan is to recruit able and capable managers, administrators and technocrats to manage Nigeria and improve Nigeria incrementally by say 3-10% each year, which the available statistics concurs with. The quality of his ministers so far has been second to none. Sanusi is not a Jonathan appointed administrator. He inherited him from the incompetent Yar Adua. He tried to sack him for running a parallel government, but the unnecessary outcry by Sanusi's people forced him to wait until his five year tenure expires next year. NNPC fraud was trumpeted by APC, Sanusi, Tambuwal, Jonathan haters and OBJ. These five leprous fingers of a hand of evil are now experiencing a confusion of their own making. None of them is talking of missing money any longer because Jonathan insisted that the reluctant Sanusi and his co-travellers should reconcile the figures with the agencies concerned. As I write, no money was missing. Yet Jonathan was labelled, 'clueless' 'bleep' by simpletons in this forum. Are you an APC sympathiser who is experiencing a 'tough' week?

molotov1:

you're definitely typing from a laptop.
We are talking NEWS not history. Money or no missing money , you got that ? OBJ is history !
who has been in power in the last 4 years missing money or no missing money ?
Was it OBJ ?
Who's is at the helm ? During the scandals and coverups of the previous months and years
Was it OBJ ?
Was Nigeria a paradise before OBJ's letter ?
Madam ( you reason like a woman) I don't care who gave you laptop, you need to think before you open that black hole again and transfer it to post.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by molotov1: 7:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
Beautifully put, I like the way you make your point and state 'your' facts devoid of sentiment and emotion.

However, no matter how well you think a government has performed or 'not set the country back" as you put it, CORRUPTION or the lack thereof remains the benchmark for progress in the developing world.

Nigeria, as we speak is taking a massive hit from corruption at unprecedented scale. Nigeria is being eaten alive by it or wouldn't you agree ? Isn't there anything that can be done (by the presidency) to curb it ?

OBJ like it or not, like others of his ilk are dinosaurs, clinging to last the last strands of relevance they have left. Although he may have heated up the polity with his epistle, there is very little he can achieve with it on the long term.

Whether he's a hypocrite or not, OBJ will be judged by the contents and intention behind that letter, true or false.

A more honest person would have written, "Dear GEJ, I have ruled, I've made my mistakes. However, you are presently at the controls, please tell us what are your plans are and WHERE ARE YOU TAKING NIGERIA TO ?"

OBJ isn't the threat here, let's not try to use a sentimental approach (like others are trying to do) to obfuscate that fact.

callmenow: It is duplicitous to attack @deletrue for a well reasoned argument. Jonathan has been in power for over three years now. He did not set Nigeria back in the these preceding four years. What any reasonable person in Nigeria and or the western world, expected from Jonathan is to recruit able and capable managers, administrators and technocrats to manage Nigeria and improve Nigeria incrementally by say 3-10% each year, which the available statistics concurs with. The quality of his ministers so far has been second to none. Sanusi is not a Jonathan appointed administrator. He inherited him from the incompetent Yar Adua. He tried to sack him for running a parallel government, but the unnecessary outcry by Sanusi's people forced him to wait until his five year tenure expires next year. NNPC fraud was trumpeted by APC, Sanusi, Tambuwal, Jonathan haters and OBJ. These five leprous fingers of a hand of evil are now experiencing a confusion of their own making. None of them is talking of missing money any longer because Jonathan insisted that the reluctant Sanusi and his co-travellers should reconcile the figures with the agencies concerned. As I write, no money was missing. Yet Jonathan was labelled, 'clueless' 'bleep' by simpletons in this forum. Are you an APC sympathiser who is experiencing a 'tough' week?

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by ignis: 7:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
Seun: When Nigerian journalists want to make you look bad, they may add grammatical errors to your quotes. They've done it to me before.
Lol...
I trust naija journalists.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by kolexy(m): 8:25pm On Dec 21, 2013
ceo4eva: To be Honest, I doubt Vanguard can publish such a letter against OBJ if it's not true. Considering the background of Vanguard (South-West) Newspaper and the Courageous way they have continued to defend this story, It's likely to be TRUE. We all know OBJ is NOT a Saint, even though APC remains supportive of him. There are some contents in the letter that need to be addressed especially Corruption, but don't forget GEJ is/was a product of OBJ. I guess he's annoyed because he no longer controls and dictate to GEJ. GEJ on his own part has refused to respond, thereby further annoying OBJ. Why is OBJ ranting over his daughter's 12-page letter when he wrote an 18-page letter to GEJ?...

Is it about where the owner of Vanguard comes from? It will interest you to know Sam Amuka the owner of Vanguard is Deltan. I heard Ibori bought it from him sef.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Longeria(m): 8:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
valuka: How I wish that I can appear and disappear.
All these politicians will just die a mystrious death.
I will appear and squiz the life out of them during sleep and disappear.

Sorry if my comment is so rude.
That's just how I feel.
After killing Tinubu, Amaechi, Buhari, Tambuwal, Elrufai, Fashola, Femi Kayode then you GO AND DIE.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Longeria(m): 9:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
eye4eye: Lie from pit of hell. I forsee vanguard going out of business for their stupidity.
Just DO THE NEEDFUL "GO AND DIE "
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Longeria(m): 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2013
wirinet: I am having a hard time relating the headline to the story. Where is the story on why Iyabo gave up on her dad?
She said that since she realised that her father can't change his evil, she did the NEEDFUL.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Samabu07(m): 11:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
ceo4eva: To be Honest, I doubt Vanguard can publish such a letter against OBJ if it's not true. Considering the background of Vanguard (South-West) Newspaper and the Courageous way they have continued to defend this story, It's likely to be TRUE. We all know OBJ is NOT a Saint, even though APC remains supportive of him. There are some contents in the letter that need to be addressed especially Corruption, but don't forget GEJ is/was a product of OBJ. I guess he's annoyed because he no longer controls and dictate to GEJ. GEJ on his own part has refused to respond, thereby further annoying OBJ. Why is OBJ ranting over his daughter's 12-page letter when he wrote an 18-page letter to GEJ?...
Silence is really a weapon. OBJ back down from active politics...wonder what might be on President Bush's mind
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by callmenow: 3:12am On Dec 22, 2013
@Molotov1, the fight against corruption is not a presidential problem. It is a national problem. Nigeria was the epitome of corruption during the OBJ era, such that the likes Alamaiyesa (sic), Orji Kalu, Tinubu and Ibori treated their states like their personal fiefdoms. It got so bad that Foreign powers felt the need to intervene and arrested one or two elected miscreants (what do that say about the electorates of Nigeria?). Nigeria then became a byword for corruption. During OBJ era, Ministers used to go to UK and the US with bags of dollars, even special assistants like Andy Ubah, travels with millions of dollars in cash. Stella Obasanjo used to float around in millions of dollars. Yet during Jonathans last visit to UK, I was also in the UK for a trade conference. Jonathan who always suffers from travel sickness could not hold down his food, so was excused. So he was a no show. There was no birthday party for him either. Yet the ministers were drinking water and orange juice at the venue, which I found to be strange. I felt completely humiliated by two other incidents at the venue of Jonathan's meeting with Investors at London Hilton (Park Lane). On arriving on the second floor, I noticed a heated argument between the High Commissioner of Nigeria (Dr Tafida) and the hotel staff about payment for the event. I had thought the event was being organised by an independent think tank (HIIC). Yet Tafida did not have the money or cheque to tender but promised them he will pay them the money within the week. Then during the meeting with Nigerians in diaspora at 5pm at the same venue, Tafida pleaded with Dr Okojo Iweala to increase their funding, because they do not have any money. Apparently at the top, every Naira must be accounted for and reconciled every month. I spoke to two ministers, including communication who confessed that they can do anything but promise money for any investor. So something is working at last, but not fast enough for the average citizen. I knew Andy Ubah before he became a billionaire. He was just a hustler. Yet he can afford to buy all the the monarchs in Anambra Toyota Jeeps. All his girlfriends mansions. This administration is a work in progress. I will tell you something. I campaigned for Buhari during the last exercise. Jonathans main crimes at the moment is his reluctance to award oil wells to his so called godfathers, which was OBJ ways to share the wealth of the nation. Jonathan's main beef with Amaechi is that he ceded oil wells which Amaechi claims for Rivers to Bayelsa. Nigerians covets rumours and gossips which is why the average person is confused with distorted nonsense from the likes of Fannny Kayode.I sincerely hope that Jonathan will attack corruption until it hurts.

molotov1: Beautifully put, I like the way you make your point and state 'your' facts devoid of sentiment and emotion.

However, no matter how well you think a government has performed or 'not set the country back" as you put it, CORRUPTION or the lack thereof remains the benchmark for progress in the developing world.

Nigeria, as we speak is taking a massive hit from corruption at unprecedented scale. Nigeria is being eaten alive by it or wouldn't you agree ? Isn't there anything that can be done (by the presidency) to curb it ?

OBJ like it or not, like others of his ilk are dinosaurs, clinging to last the last strands of relevance they have left. Although he may have heated up the polity with his epistle, there is very little he can achieve with it on the long term.

Whether he's a hypocrite or not, OBJ will be judged by the contents and intention behind that letter, true or false.

A more honest person would have written, "Dear GEJ, I have ruled, I've made my mistakes. However, you are presently at the controls, please tell us what are your plans are and WHERE ARE YOU TAKING NIGERIA TO ?"

OBJ isn't the threat here, let's not try to use a sentimental approach (like others are trying to do) to obfuscate that fact.

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Samland: 7:54am On Dec 22, 2013
Unnn...i pity dis country 4rm ungreatful politician. Remember GEJ scop us den dat he has no shoe & we all voted 4 him. Now, wat he doesnt have? Yorubas' will never appreciate the great Baba Obasanjo until he left.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by stineb1: 8:32am On Dec 22, 2013
cramjones: I know the Obasanjo family very well..and a personal friend to Iyabo...I a number of personal things she allegedly said are true (not all). However, I don't think she wrote them, someone that knows some of these details may have fabricated it. Iyabo is a well trained Yoruba woman and the last thing she will do is to ridicule her father in public.
keep quiet you don't know jack about them.You are only playing diplomacy here.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by seangy4konji: 12:30pm On Dec 22, 2013
how it take concern me
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by iamdsam: 1:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
I wonder if you're a Nigerian. This letter wouldn't have been made public if it was that personal as you think. The major issues that caused for this letter is about Nigeria as a whole. We need to get up and fight against our corrupt leaders who aren't ready to change but wanna remain in power forever if possible.
chi 3280: Well who cares? The story is already getting boring. Its their personal affair and their problem. I have my own problems with my daughter to deal with. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by iamdsam: 1:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
But his flaws affected and is still affecting Nigeria negatively till date.
chi 3280: So many hypocrites on this thread. Accusing Obasanjo of being uncouth but you're worse than him. He's human just like everyone and has his own flaws.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by iamdsam: 1:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
Whether this letter was written by Iyabo or not, it's very clear that Nigerians need to stand up against our corrupt government.

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 22, 2013
I have indeed confirmed that Iyabo wrote the letter. "Honor thy father and mother so that your days may be long", I don't support her on this one. May God heal her broken heart...She is such a brilliant and honorable woman and no one is above mistakes

2 Likes

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by FXElixir: 5:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
OK OK THIS PROGRAMME SUX, EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD GET A LIFE AND

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Baron75: 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2013
cramjones: I know the Obasanjo family very well..and a personal friend to Iyabo...I a number of personal things she allegedly said are true (not all). However, I don't think she wrote them, someone that knows some of these details may have fabricated it. Iyabo is a well trained Yoruba woman and the last thing she will do is to ridicule her father in public.
Do you listen to what you're saying? You shouldn't assume that she didn't write it. If she's not the writer of the letter, she would have granted a live TV interview to deny it to everybody's knowledge.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by curtain: 6:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
Read Ex-Senate President, Ameh
Ebute’s letter to OBJ
on december 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm in
special report
SENATOR AMEH EBUTE, CON
(FORMER SENATE PRESIDENT)
31/32 MANGAL PLAZA, AREA 11, GARKI, ABUJA
18thDecember, 2013
RE: BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE
Preamble
As discerning Nigerians who found the so-
called “before it is too late” letter from Chief
Olusegun Obasanjoto President Goodluck E.
Jonathan, GCFR, ill-conceived, we decided to
deconstruct the content to see if it meets
the minimum demands of altruistic advice,
given the writer’s pedigree as a former
President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,
an elder statesman. In doing this we were
not unaware of the several public
commentaries and reactions from a cross
section of Nigerians, some of which posit
that Nigerians should ignore the messenger
and take the lessons from the message
giving the critical weight of the issues
raised. Much as this position may appear
germane, it needs to be understood that
whereas it is possible to separate the
messenger from the message, it is
nevertheless impossible to comprehend the
meaning of a message without reference to
the motive or intention of the messenger.
The veracity and/or reliability of the
message in the context of the motive could
only be drawn if the messenger is altruistic
in his motive.
Since Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Nigeria’s one
time military Head of State and former
President, claims to be speaking from the
rostrum of high moral rectitude because of
his “overt” love for Nigeria, it is only
apposite that in deconstructing the contents
of the letter, without prejudice to the pleas
of several public commentators, we glean
the moral integrity and character
qualifications of the messenger as a test of
the reliability and value of the message.
This is because whether we like it or not
Chief Obasanjo’s vituperations have not only
over-heated the polity but brought the
nation to anaemic convulsion.
Chief OlusegunObasanjo’s ill-conceived letter
no doubt is an open assault on the seat of
power in Nigeria. For a former President
who has unimpeded access to the President
to nakedly dance this danse macabre in
public on grounds that former letters
written by him had not been replied only
affirms what Theodore Roosevelt describes
as the dangers of lack of morals when he
said “to educate a man in mind and not in
morals is to educate a menace to society”.
Whether former President Obasanjo, has
now become a menace to the Nigerian
political landscape or otherwise would be
better judged by discerning minds. But to
us, he has merely epitomized the
prescriptions of Noel Coward: “the higher
the building the lower the morals”.
Further as Thomas S. Monson would remind
us, “the surest test of an individual’s
integrity is his refusal to do or say anything
that would damage his self-respect”. Hence,
in developed democracies, former
Presidents hardly ever comment publicly on
the policies and actions of their successors,
evidently in deference to self-respect. They
seek and utilize latent channels to
communicate and offer their advice. And if
we take to heart what Mark Twain said
about character, “a man’s character may be
learned from the adjectives he habitually
uses in conversation,” then given Chief
Obasanjo’s deleterious history of publicly
criticizing heads of government in office
that ended in ominous consequences,
Nigerians should be circumspect and be
resolved in one accord to defend our hard-
won democracy.
As an obsessed letter writer, Chief Obasanjo
may unwittingly view his tirades against
sitting governments as building a legacy to
be celebrated when he departs; he does not
see the effects of debasement, deformation,
destruction, disunity, hatred and defamation
in his actions. Selfless leaders with character
build peace, build harmony, build unity and
build love. However, it appears our erstwhile
President has lost it all. Like what Billy
Graham said, “When character is lost, all is
lost”.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by curtain: 6:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Leadership in its broad spectrum is fraught
with complex challenges, and nations that
are progressively built always find patriotic
leaders come around to contribute positively
to governance and not indulge in self-
adulation. Let us now evaluate the three (3)
year old administration of President
Goodluck Jonathan vis-a-vis Chief Obasanjo’s
cumulative eleven years in office in the
context of the five (5) prerequisite capacities
of a President of the Federal Republic which
Chief Obasanjo identifies, to wit: Leadership
of the ruling party; Headship of the Federal
Government; Commander-in-Chief of the
Military; Chief Security Officer of the Nation;
and Political Leader of the country.
a. Leadership of the Ruling Party:
It is ridiculous that Chief Obasanjo, a self-
acclaimed democrat, should accuse
President Goodluck Jonathan as the one
responsible for the lingering crisis in PDP,
which pre-dated his emergence as the
leader of the party. President Jonathan’s
alleged crime is his refusal to publicly
denounce those craving his return in 2015.
Chief Obasanjo further accused President
Jonathan of clandestinely dictating the
actions of the party Chairman, Alhaji
Bamanga Tukur.
These unsubstantiated claims posit a
curious but intriguing parallel and calls for
self-examination on the part of the Owu
Chief.
When in 2002, before INEC officially signaled
political activitiesfor the 2003 elections,
posters and propaganda materials adorned
all nooks and crannies of Nigeria for Chief
Obasanjo’s re-election, how many of such
people did he publicly denounce? Even
when it became open knowledge in 2005
that Chief Obasanjo surreptitiously
attempted to use his cronies to insert in the
output of the National Political Reform
Conference a clause to elongate his tenure
for a third term, since he thought it was only
he who had the single inalienable right to
rule Nigeria for life, did hereunder any
public denial?
Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has no moral
credentials to accuse President Jonathan of
responsibility for the travails of the PDP.
These crises, as earlier noted, predate the
incumbent leader of the party. Perhaps to
refresh Chief Obasanjo’s memory, let him be
reminded that Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu’s recourse
to forming his own political party (PPA) to
provide a platform for his nominee to
contest the 2007 elections was a direct
outcome of Chief Obasanjo’s arm-twisting
military style to force him out of the PDP. The
party eventually lost Abia State. Even as a
presidential candidate, Chief Obasanjo
reportedly lost his own ward and a number
of South-West states in the 1999 elections.
As the “emperor” of the Nigerian state, his
back-handed defiance of democratic
electoral process brought victories to PDP in
some South-West states which could not
endure. We eventually saw the so-called PDP
victories upturned through the judicial
process because, when he was the leader of
the party, Chief Obasanjo could not secure
defensible victories.
No period in the history of our fledgling
democracy has witnessed a higher turnover
of PDP National Chairmen than the eight year
tenure of Chief Obasanjo as President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria. First, soon after
the late Chief Solomon Lar steered the PDP to
victory in the 1999 Presidential election,
Chief Obasanjo booted him out of office.
And of course the well-respected frontline
contributions of the late Chief Sunday
Awoniyi to the electoral fortunes of Chief
Obasanjo had deservingly positioned him to
succeed Chief Solomon Lar, yet our maverick
democrat not only frustrated the elder
statesman out of the chairmanship of the
party but also ensured his untimely
retirement from politics. Even Chief Barnabas
Gemade, whom Chief Obasanjo backed to
thwart Chief Awoniyi, was soon to be
replaced as Chairman by Chief Audu Ogbeh,
a very outspoken, purposeful and visionary
leader, who craves for a peaceful and
progressive Nigeria.
Chief Ogbeh was reportedly forced to resign
as Chairman after having lunch with
President Obasanjo. His offence was that he
assumed the gauntlet to advise President
Obasanjo to investigate the security
challenges in Anambra state that threatened
the life of Governor Ngige at the time.
Interestingly, all these chairmen were
elected for definite tenure as prescribed by
the PDP constitution.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by curtain: 6:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
As Chief Obasanjo bestrode the PDP like an
intimidating colossus, electoral decency was
jettisoned, internal democracy trampled
upon and good conscience buried as he
dealt ruthlessly with all perceived enemies
regardless of democratic culture and ethos.
The following casualties of his high-handed
leadership are dead and living testimonies:
late Sen. Chuba Okadigbo; Sen. Ayim Pius
Ayim; Gov. Peter Odili whom he used, milked
and dumped;
Gov. Joshua Dariye; Gov. Orji UzorKalu; Rt.
Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi; Gov. Gbenga
Daniel; Dep. Gov. Mukhtar Shagari; Gov.
Attahiru Bafarawa; Gov. D. S. P.
Alamieyeseigha; etc.
Therefore if upholding the rule of law and
the Constitution of the Peoples Democratic
Party is basis for accusation of the
Presidency masterminding the PDP crisis, we
are not convinced that President Jonathan
has conducted himself in an unpresidential
manner to attract these unwarranted
innuendoes in any way.
It bespeaks a deep-sounding hollowness for
Chief Obasanjo to make allusion to the fact
that the crisis in the PDP is premised on
whether President Jonathan should exercise
his constitutional prerogative to contest
elections in 2015. He is clearly on a
protectionist mission, to create sufficient
disaffection within the PDP to facilitate the
emergence of his preferred candidates.
Nobody is against the aspirations of
anybody to any elective office. Indeed, that is
the beauty of democracy, where people
freely chose to contest and are voted for.
But why must an elder statesman embark
upon such an unprovoked voyage of
denigrating the person occupying the most
exalted office in the land simply to make a
point for his preferred candidates to take
over? It must be unequivocally stated that
neither Chief Olusegun Obasanjo nor his
cohorts can determine the will of God;
nobody can play God in the affairs of men,
and in the affairs of our country.
Chief Obasanjo after being a military leader
for 3 years, tried shamelessly to mastermind
the extension of his constitutional two
terms tenure as President to a third one
(that is, after being head of government for
11 years, he wanted additional 4 years) until
Nigerians cried foul. That he now attempts
to stop President Jonathan from contesting
for another constitutional term of four
years, shows sheer wickedness and
mischief. If Chief Obasanjo’s grand-design
and deception to hoodwink Nigerians to
endorse his phantom third term could not
“spill the blood of Nigerians”, the call for the
exercise of President Jonathan’s legitimate
right to contest for a constitutionally
guaranteed second term, if he accepts it, will
not spill blood in this country. Or is Chief
Obasanjo alluding to a grand plan by some
elements in the country to cause mayhem
should President Jonathan contest the 2015
elections? We find these comments very
disturbing especially in the light of repeated
public threats by one Junaid Mohammed.
Chief Obsanjo not only knows the position
of the law for making very reckless
comments but also has experienced first-
hand the consequences of such
inflammatory comments to incite the
populace.
We make bold to say here that President
Jonathan has handled the affairs of the PDP
and the nation with far greater
inclusiveness and tolerance of dissent than
Chief Obasanjo ever did. This broad minded
and accommodating disposition of
President Jonathan is further extended to
even the ever-critical and often virulent
opposition.
b. Headship of the Federal Government
It is perfidious for Chief Obasanjo to set the
National Assembly against President
Jonathan in discussing corruption. Let it be
stated from the onset that we do not
endorse corrupt practices in any form; in
fact it is our position that President
Jonathan should deal decisively with all
proven corruption cases regardless of
whose ox is gored. However, it is common
knowledge that corruption attained
monumental heights under the regime of
Chief Obasanjo as President. Chief Obasanjo
presided over the proceeds of Nigeria’s oil
and gas for six years, without transparent
accounting as the de facto Minister of
Petroleum Resources. To perfect his plan, he
appointed his kinsman and protégé Engr.
Kupolokun who had retired, to serve as the
Group Managing Director of NNPC. Nigeria’s
oil and gas revenue was helplessly at the
discretion of the duo. Where was
accountability and transparency? It will be
recalled that the CNPP petitioned the EFCC to
investigate Chief Obasanjo as President for
an estimated unaccounted sum of $133
billion in oil revenue from 2000 to 2006, the
period he was the de facto Minister of
Petroleum Resources.
We are inclined to think that part of the
reasons for Chief Obasanjo’s double-
standard romance with President Jonathan
is the latter’s audacity to reopen up
investigations, earlier ordered by late
President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua into the
Haliburton bribery scandal. If Chief
Obasanjo’s former Personal Assistant, Mr.
Bodunde Adeyanju, could be interrogated
over allegations of millions of dollars bribery
scam, it is more like the hand of Jacob and
the voice of Esau. So where does Chief
Obasanjo derive the moral qualification to
accuse another government of corruption?
When a sitting President influences major
business tycoons who do business with
government to launch and build a multi-
million naira library in his village in his name,
what does that amount to? When a sitting
President, Chief Obasanjo, suddenly
becomes a shareholder in Trans National
Corporation of Nigeria Plc, a diversified
conglomerate, owners of Transcorp Hilton
and several oil and gas assets, what does
that amount to? It should be in the normal
course of business for a President. What
accounted for the sudden transformation of
the Ota farm, which had become the habitat
for reptiles and weeds before Chief
Obasanjo became Presidentin 1999? Or are
Nigerians quick to forget the missing N2.8
billion under the watch of Gen. Obasanjo
when Gen. Buhari was the Federal
Commissioner of Petroleum Resources?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by curtain: 6:56pm On Dec 22, 2013
While Nigerians accuse the regime of Gen.
Ibrahim Babangida of institutionalizing
corruption, it is common knowledge that
Chief Obasanjo planted the seed of
corruption and elevated it to unimaginable
heights.
On the claims by Chief Obasanjo that the
economic performance indices are
dangerously sliding, that is nothing more
than a self-serving statement. Even the
International Monetary Fund adjudged the
Nigerian economy to be performing
relatively better, with a GDP at 6.75%, the
highest growth rate in Sub-Saharan Africa.
And we are convinced that the Jonathan
administration is doing everything to make
the observed economic growth all-inclusive
in the light of the policies and strategies
being initiated to tackle the problem of
unemployment and poverty eradication.
Nigerians of good conscience can all attest
to the relative improvement and stability of
electricity supply; the recent unbundling of
PHCN and licensing of electricity distribution
companies will no doubt enhance electricity
supply to consumer I in the coming months
and this will invariably positively impact both
the manufacturing and small-medium scale
businesses. Also, the resuscitation of
collapsed infrastructure in the Aviation
sector by the Jonathan administration has
been a source of pride to Nigerians. The
hitherto moribund rail transport system for
which Chief Obasanjo pumped so much
billions has been successfully revived.
Nigerians now travel from Lagos to Kano by
train.
God, in his divine grace, blessed Chief
Obasanjo with incomparable opportunities
of leadership to drive the fortunes of our
country to enviable heights but the evident
result is that the progress of the nation is
impeded as he left only relics of collapsed
infrastructure, monumental corruption,
debased national psyche and a disillusioned
polity. The myriad of problems and
challenges bequeathed by the
administration of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo
have made the work of nation building
inexorably difficult for his successors.
The Jonathan administration is not only way
ahead of the Obasanjo one in terms of
recorded and visible achievements
measured against the funds deployed but
also has had positive impact on the lives of
the citizenry.
c. Commander-in-Chief of the Military
To all discerning public observers, there is
no argument that President Goodluck
Jonathan has employed the adroit strategies
and demonstrated statesmanship in the
handling of critical national challenges,
deserving of a democratically elected
President. Because he knows his primary
responsibility to the people is protection of
their lives and property, President
Jonathan’s style has not only assisted in
sustaining our fragile unity as a country but
has made him no less a Commander-in-Chief.
Given the destructive tendencies that
characterized Chief Olusegun Obasanjo’s
rule as President during which period
human rights abuses and defiance of the
rule of law were the norm,we are at a loss
to unravel the import of Chief Obasanjo’s
assertions in this respect. As stated earlier,
Chief Obasanjo’s impulsive decisions
culminated in the destruction of
communities, killing and maiming of
innocent lives by the Nigerian military at the
least provocation.
That was the case of the sleepy town of Odi
in Bayelsa State, which was completely
destroyed because of the activities of a few
miscreants that led to the death of some
Police officers. So too was the case of
Odioma town also in Bayelsa state. Today,
the Federal Government is to pay N37.6
billion in compensation to the people of Odi,
as ordered by the Federal High Court, for
that tactless act of a President. Similarly,
Chief Obasanjo deployed heavy military
arsenals to trouble spots in Benue state and
destroyed, maimed and killed innocent
people in Zaki Biam town, and other towns
in Katsina-Ala LGA and Logo LGA. Whereas
the military deployed by Chief Obasanjo
never went after any of the suspected
criminals but to kill innocent citizens,
President Jonathan’s humane characteristic
ensured that no innocent citizen was
deliberately affected by the activities of the
military. The purpose being to curb the Boko
Haram insurgents, Nigerians are relieved
that about 500 insurgents are to be
arraigned. A remarkable difference in
strategy and tact!
Nigerians are also not in a hurry to forget
how the apparatus of the Economic and
Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was
deployed in the name of fighting corruption
to hound perceived political opponents. The
selective approach in the fight against
corruption made a mockery of the entire
anti-corruption exercise as loyalists were
shielded and enemies persecuted.
And so who has indeed deferred to the
sacrosanct role of the military in the best
interest of the nation, a Chief Obasanjo who
recklessly deployed military might to kill
innocent Nigerian souls or a President
Jonathan who deploys tact in dealing with
restive spots to minimize collateral damage,
even in the light of a far more sophisticated,
hitherto unknown security outfit, the Boko
Haram group? Interestingly, when Chief
Obasanjo declared a state of emergency in
Plateau state, he gave no respect to the
preservation of the democratic institutions.
In contrast, when the Boko Haram inspired
insurgency in some parts of the north
unabatedly threatened the peace and
stability of the country, President Jonathan
went on a wide range of consultations with
all stakeholders before declaring a state of
emergency. Hence today, all democratic
institutions in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe
States, the frontline states where President
Jonathan declared a state of emergency
have remained functional. A true democratic
practitioner!
d. Chief Security Officer of the Nation
It is pathetic that Chief Obasanjo’s sense of
history could be so easily demented. Without
extending the searchlight to other trouble
spots, we wish to recall the ineptitude and
abysmal failure of Chief Obasanjo’s
strategies in managing the militancy in the
Niger Delta area. Even when the activities of
militants brought the economy to knee-jam
and oil production plummeted from 2.5
million barrels a day to 700,000 barrels a
day, his barking bull strategies brought no
solution to the crisis. It took the sagacious
strides of late President Umaru Musa
Yar’Adua/Jonathan, working with critical
stakeholders, to make peace without spilling
blood and today Nigeria is the better for it,
with greater capacity to meet government
obligations because of enhanced revenue
profile from increased foreign receipts. So
where is Chief Obasanjo’s pedigree in
managing crises?

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by curtain: 7:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
Another gory absurdity is Chief Obasanjo’s
allegation that President Jonathan is training
snipers where Abacha trained his killer
squad and that there are about 1000 high
profile politicians on a watch list. For an
allegation as weighty as this we are sure
Chief Obasanjo knows the import of the law
for such blatant insinuation that qualifies for
libel. Chief Obasanjo should know, if he
does not already, that the onus of proof lies
on him. We demand that the relevant
security agencies like NSA, Directorate of
State Security (DSS), Nigerian Intelligence
Agency (NIA), the Nigeria Police, should
immediately take decisive appropriate action
to investigate this very sensitive national
security issue and make their findings
public. The security services must carry out
this investigation with dispatch because we
suspect that there is a grand plan to
assassinate some high profile Nigerians, in
the context of this very dangerous
allegation, to intimidate and coerce
President Jonathan to abdicate his right to
contest in 2015. To us it merely shows that
our aging Owu Chief certainly deserves
more rest at Ota to avoid going beserk.
However, Nigerians will continue to hold
Chief Obasanjo accountable for the several
high profile unexplained killings for which
no culprits have been unearthed years after.
Notable among the list of those assassinated
without conclusive investigations under
Chief Obasanjo’s watch were Chief Bola Ige,
Obasanjo’s first Minister of Power and later
Minister of Justice and Attorney General;
Chief Marshall Harry; a former National Vice
Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party;
Chief Aminasoari K. Dikibo, also a former
National Vice Chairman of the PDP; Chief
Funsho Williams, a former PDP governorship
aspirant of Lagos state; ChimereIkoku and a
number of other unexplained deaths.
In contrast to Chief Obasanjo’s alarmist
averments the most dreadful security
challenge today remains the Boko Haram
sect which, in itself, devolved from Chief
Obasanjo’s dereliction of his constitutional
duty to guarantee the secularity of the
Nigerian state. And of course we need to be
mindful of Chief Obasanjo and his ilk whose
appetite for uprisings and revolutions akin
to the Arab Spring seems to be growing
proportionately daily. Chief Obasanjo should
be reminded that if Nigerians were to
agitate for a revolution, and particularly the
Ghanian type, Obasanjo and his likes would
not be spared the wrath of Nigerians.
e. Political Leader of the Country
No President of Nigeria under our
democratic dispensation has been more
Nigerian in disposition and conduct than Dr.
Goodluck E. Jonathan. It is unfortunate that
Chief Obasanjo could degenerate to fan the
embers of ethnicity in such an insidious and
reckless manner. For a man who claims to
be a detribalized Nigerian to infer that no
other minority in this country could be
entrusted with the leadership of the
country, because of his myopic assessment
and conclusion that President Jonathan has
not performed to satisfy his whims, evinces
clearly a chronic obsession of hate. But we
must remind Chief Obasanjo that Nigeria is
not an enterprise of an oligarchy and that
the days of hegemonic rule are gone. Chief
Obasanjo should extricate himself from the
garb of narrow mindedness and pettiness
and be broad in his perceptive values.
Nigeria belongs to all, majorities and
minorities alike.
On the fight against corruption, we observe
that the agencies tasked to deal with
corruption must be given a free hand to
work. If the EFCC is hamstrung to perform its
assignments creditably then we shall be
concerned. Today neither the EFCC nor ICPC
is pressured and tele-guided to pursue
perceived enemies. The reported concern,
raised by the Central Bank Governor, over
unremitted accruals of about $49.8 billion is
being reconciled by a joint team of NNPC,
FIRS, DPR and CBN. Chief Obasanjo should
have shown a more statesmanlike conduct
and decorum before dancing to the public
gallery. As it has now been revealed, with
the false alarmist, CBN Governor Sanusi
Lamido Sanisu publicly apologizing, the joint
reconciliation exercise has confirmed that
only $10.8 billion is yet to be reconciled even
as the exercise is still on going. Clearly, the
initial claim was a false alarm orchestrated
to incite the general public against President
Jonathan, and Chief Obasanjo also
demeaned himself to join the foray of
dubious whistle blowers.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by curtain: 7:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Till date no Nigerian, excepting Chief
Obasanjo, has seen a presidential reception
organized in honour of Major Al Mustapha.
Whereas Chief Obasanjo thinks that every
sitting President obstructs the course of
justice as was his own mercurial practice,
President Jonathan has continued to show
maximum resistance to interfere with the
judicial process. It is only in the imagination
of Chief Obasanjo that the Presidency
celebrated Major Al Mustapha’s release. This
is understandable since he must loathe Al-
Mustapha for his incarceration by Abacha
for life imprisonment.
What Does Chief Obasanjo Want?
In all these posturing of sainthood and
angelic patriotism, what does Chief
Olusegun Obasanjo aim to achieve? We state
that Chief Obasanjo’s letter is at best self-
serving and holds no grain of patriotism
and national interest. Through this blatant
charade of promoting falsehood,
innuendoes and untruths, Chief Obasanjo
attempts to raise a mob action against
President Jonathan, a crafty follow-up to the
rebellion he used the G 7 governors he
planted in the states to stir up crisis in the
PDP in order to stop Jonathan in 2015. Since
he considers time to be running out he
needed to commence the campaigns for his
anointed protégés. For Chief Obasanjo’s
project to succeed, President Jonathan must
be destroyed first, in the court of public
opinion.
Nigeria is not a fiefdom in the stranglehold
of Chief Obasanjo. If he chooses to squander
his privileged opportunities to offer
leadership to this country, and to think he
can rule Nigeria like his private estate from
everywhere, he has failed. Must Chief
Obasanjo continue to breath hard on
President Jonathan because he claimed he
made him President? Even so, that is not a
stand- alone act because Chief Obasanjo
himself was a beneficiary of God using Gen.
Ibrahim Babangida, Gen. Theophilus
Danjuma and Gen. Abdulsalami to make him
President in 1999. Even his emergence as
Head of State in 1976 was the sacrifice of
Gen. Danjuma and others. These people
never publicly dictated to him how to
govern Nigeria. Most importantly, they never
did anything to bring him into public odium
despite the numerous problems his
administration created for the polity.
While we know that politics is a game of
numbers, we would also hastily add that no
one person can make a President; it is the
people of Nigeria that can decide who
should become their President, as God wills.
If Nigerians think President Jonathan has
delivered on his electoral mandate, they can
freely entrust him with another mandate
and that cannot be subject to the whims of
any Chief Obasanjo. We therefore urge
President Jonathan to remain focused,
undeterred and committed to delivering on
his transformation agenda.
Chief Obasanjo having succeeded in
persuading his cronies to stir unending
controversy within the ranks of the PDP, and
indeed the nation is certainly on a mission
to destroy the party, truncate our hard won
democracy and plunge the nation to
cataclysm for his personal gain. We
therefore call on the leadership of party to
take decisive action against him as nobody
is greater than the party. Chief Obasanjo to
all intents has demonstrated more anti-party
activities than any one else in the history of
PDP.

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Rexyl(m): 8:08pm On Dec 22, 2013
Chief OBJ and his daughter Iyabo
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo: Why I Gave Up On My Dad by Okikiade(m): 1:16am On Dec 23, 2013
[color=][/color]absolutism from curtain! He who has brain, "let him or her thinks".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Leaders Shun Fashola’s Book Presentation In Lagos / Buhari Meets 21 Released Chibok Girls In Abuja (Photos) / Man Compares Buhari To President Bouteflika Who Rules Algeria On Wheelchair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.