Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,077 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677566 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 11:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
Hello V.O: I am so sorry for just posting this.Rushed back to the kids' school for their end of session party as our first child was actively participating.God bless u for the good work u are doing on Nairaland.I had my interview today and very glad I followed ur advice.We (including hubby) were all there as u advised,yes we were allowed to pay for the rest of us.To the glory of God,the kids and I got our visas approved and we submitted my husband's DS 230.After our interview,we were given visa pick-up letter and told that hubby will be contacted later.

The kids got so cranky but thankfully slept off.You guys are so so busy!!!Chei.Welldone and God bless u so much.

Nairaland is blessed to have u in our midst.Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:27am On Jul 17, 2014
Ddream77: Dear VO,
God bless you, America and Nigeria... smiley
I'll like to know the minimum and maximum amount of money one can travel with as an immigrant.

Good morning,

There's no minimum or maximum amount, but I wouldn't recommend showing up in the U.S. with no money at all. Here's what Customs and Border Patrol has to say about maximums:

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

If assistance is required, a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer can help with filling out the form.

Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, they have a total of $11, 000 in their possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts of over $10,000, their monetary instrument(s) may be subject to forfeiture and could result to civil and criminal penalties.

The FinCEN 105 can be obtained prior to traveling or when going through CBP.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Jul 17, 2014
aariwa: They do not live in mexico but travelled down there solely for getting married because the cousin who is an american citizen is afraid of coming down to nigeria for the wedding due to security issues.

Oh, since she's an American citizen, the wait time is very short indeed. As soon as the case is documentarily complete at the National Visa Center (NVC), it can be scheduled for an interview at post. I've already been asked what numbers we can handle in August, so the wait time is two or three months.

For the record, here in Lagos we are taking ALL the cases NVC and the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) offer us -- we aren't pushing them off until the following month and creating a backlog for the applicants. We want to get you to the United States! smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:33am On Jul 17, 2014
cute2014:

Hello V.O: I am so sorry for just posting this.Rushed back to the kids' school for their end of session party as our first child was actively participating.God bless u for the good work u are doing on Nairaland.I had my interview today and very glad I followed ur advice.We (including hubby) were all there as u advised,yes we were allowed to pay for the rest of us.To the glory of God,the kids and I got our visas approved and we submitted my husband's DS 230.After our interview,we were given visa pick-up letter and told that hubby will be contacted later.

The kids got so cranky but thankfully slept off.You guys are so so busy!!!Chei.Welldone and God bless u so much.

Nairaland is blessed to have u in our midst.Thanks.

I'm glad it went well for you! By the way, I hear we requested additional information via e-mail from your husband. Did you get that e-mail?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cute2014: 8:03am On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I'm glad it went well for you! By the way, I hear we requested additional information via e-mail from your husband. Did you get that e-mail?

Oh,thanks so much.Just seeing it and he will reply right away.Do have a nice day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 8:07am On Jul 17, 2014
Hello VO,
I studied a course in the university under the programme that doesn't go for nysc but rather given an an exclusion letter, but in my case we haven't gotten it. My question is whether the nysc is a vital document which must be presented for the interview(dv)?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:18am On Jul 17, 2014
marymary14: Hello VO,
I studied a course in the university under the programme that doesn't go for nysc but rather given an an exclusion letter, but in my case we haven't gotten it. My question is whether the nysc is a vital document which must be presented for the interview(dv)?

As long as you can show that you have at least a secondary school education, everything beyond that is welcome but technically superfluous.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 8:49am On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:
Thank you!
As long as you can show that you have at least a secondary school education, everything beyond that is welcome but technically superfluous.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! I don't see that case number in our system, which means that KCC hasn't scheduled an interview date for you yet. It's very very important that you not miss your appointment date, if one is scheduled before the end of the season. You might want to contact KCC and ask them if they need anything from you.

Thank you sir... We got an email yesterday to check the DV site for update on our case but we've been having problem checking it. Can you kindly help us check again sir pls. Case. # is 2014AF00014388

Thank you sir
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:04am On Jul 17, 2014
StSteven:

Thank you sir... We got an email yesterday to check the DV site for update on our case but we've been having problem checking it. Can you kindly help us check again sir pls. Case. # is 2014AF00014388

Thank you sir

I can't check for you because your personal information is needed to do that. Please try again at www.dvlottery.state.gov/esc .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by alickic(m): 10:28am On Jul 17, 2014
Hello visa officer,thanks for helping attending to our problems here. I and my family just left the american embassy. My wife had been sick for about a month ago,we left the hospital two days ago and we were unable to do our medicals on time. When we got to Children practise hospital at Raymond Njoku it was late,so we were unable to do it. i followed ur advise that we should honour our appointment. We came to the interview this morning but the consular officer could not attend us after we have paid
We played the lottery as a couple and all our documents are complete except the medicals. please kindly help us to look at our case. My case number is 2014AF16789
Please we really need ur help
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Thrombos(f): 10:47am On Jul 17, 2014
Good day vo . I'm new to this forum and going through previous pages , I can see that you are doing a great job . Please my brother is a LPR gotten via marriage can he file for his siblings now or until he gets his citizenship . Learnt it takes average of 12 years . So that the year can start counting
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by blaze007(m): 11:21am On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues. Please post it at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening
TANX vo
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 12:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Okay, I was going to send you an e-mail through LagosIV, but I think the answer will be useful generally, so:

You do have an ineligibility under 212(a)(6)(C)(1) for presenting false documents, and you'll need to apply for a waiver. In order to apply for a waiver, you would need to have been interviewed for an immigrant visa (in this case, a DV). You can't just apply for a waiver with the idea that some day in the future you might be applying for a visa.

To be eligible for a waiver for a 212(a)(6)(C)(1) ineligibility, you must be the spouse, parent, or child of a U.S. citizen, a Legal Permanent Resident, or someone who has been issued an immigrant visa (in this case, a DV). So if your parents aren't in the U.S. as citizens or LPRs, you'll have to take care of all this after you marry your girlfriend.

It's up to you whether you'll marry her first and try to get a waiver in your Diversity Visa case, or whether you get married later and wait until she files an I-130 petition for you as her spouse.

In any case, the best thing to do is to be very upfront and candid with the interviewing officer. We get worried when we find this stuff out from our computers instead of directly from our applicants.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

so it means you can only be eligible for a waiver if you are applying for an immigrant visa and not a non-immigrant visa and that can only be possible at the time of interview?hope i got it all right? thanks!!!! very much V.O,all my doubts are cleared
my brother is a green card holder and plans to get a US citizenship so he can file for me,so i want to know if under this condition i can still enter the U.S? what are the steps to follow?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jeff1980(m): 12:28pm On Jul 17, 2014
@Visaofficer,Good morning.I asked a question yesterday concerning my wife and I that we were refused a visa and no basic reason was told.I said what i can assumed for the visa refusal was that my wife passport bear her father's name and she used my own surname (husband surname) when we fill form DS160.This happen because we never formalise our marriage union and she has been using the passport to travel several time to UK and not expire yet.We applied for family visit because her brother in America want to do marriage and she was invited to stand as a mother for her brother on the wedding day so we were both invited.Infact when the visa was refused they have to postponed the wedding date again so that we can re-apply.
NOW,my question is this VO,Now that we have formalise our marriage (both registry and Church wedding) if she apply for another Nigeria passport with my surname(Husband Surname),i hope the DS160 form we are going to fill will not contradict our first form DS160 form we filled in our first application. I really need advice on this.Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
alickic: Hello visa officer,thanks for helping attending to our problems here. I and my family just left the american embassy. My wife had been sick for about a month ago,we left the hospital two days ago and we were unable to do our medicals on time. When we got to Children practise hospital at Raymond Njoku it was late,so we were unable to do it. i followed ur advise that we should honour our appointment even if our document is not complete. we came to the interview this morning but the consular officer could not attend us after we have paid
We played the lottery as a couple and all our documents are complete except the medicals. please kindly help us to look at our case. My case number is 2014AF16789
Please we really need ur help

It was my understanding that you had not yet paid the fees?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
Thrombos: Good day vo . I'm new to this forum and going through previous pages , I can see that you are doing a great job . Please my brother is a LPR gotten via marriage can he file for his siblings now or until he gets his citizenship . Learnt it takes average of 12 years . So that the year can start counting

Greetings and welcome! Your brother cannot file for you unless he is an American citizen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
jeff1980: @Visaofficer,Good morning.I asked a question yesterday concerning my wife and I that we were refused a visa and no basic reason was told.I said what i can assumed for the visa refusal was that my wife passport bear her father's name and she used my own surname (husband surname) when we fill form DS160.This happen because we never formalise our marriage union and she has been using the passport to travel several time to UK and not expire yet.We applied for family visit because her brother in America want to do marriage and she was invited to stand as a mother for her brother on the wedding day so we were both invited.Infact when the visa was refused they have to postponed the wedding date again so that we can re-apply.
NOW,my question is this VO,Now that we have formalise our marriage (both registry and Church wedding) if she apply for another Nigeria passport with my surname(Husband Surname),i hope the DS160 form we are going to fill will not contradict our first form DS160 form we filled in our first application. I really need advice on this.Thanks

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues. Please post it at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:52pm On Jul 17, 2014
pepson:

so it means you can only be eligible for a waiver if you are applying for an immigrant visa and not a non-immigrant visa and that can only be possible at the time of interview?hope i got it all right? thanks!!!! very much V.O,all my doubts are cleared
my brother is a green card holder and plans to get a US citizenship so he can file for me,so i want to know if under this condition i can still enter the U.S? what are the steps to follow?

There are also waivers available if you apply for a non-immigrant visa, but that's a question to ask my friends on the non-immigrant thread.

When your brother becomes a citizen, he can file an I-130 petition on your behalf. But to file for a waiver with a sibling petition, you still need a spouse, parent, or child in the U.S., not a sibling.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by alickic(m): 4:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We paid the interview fees
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Thrombos(f): 4:41pm On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings and welcome! Your brother cannot file for you unless he is an American citizen.
Thanks have a lovely evening.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jeff1980(m): 5:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
OK sir.God bless
VisaOfficer:

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by alickic(m): 5:24pm On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We paid the $990 for the three of us. It was my understanding that you had not yet paid the fees?[/quote]
We paid $990 for the three of us.We supposed to have come two weeks ago for the medicals,but she was ill and not strong enough to travel. Coming to lagos was a big risk because she is not fully okay. We got to lagos and we headed to the hospital but it was late already. The fee is not the issue. I wanted to mail LagosIV,but we decided to come to the interview and planned to visit the hospital after the interview. She is nursing a baby beside that she is sick. I can't put the life of my dear wife before anything. Sir/ma,I know you understand what i'm passing through,the issue is not about the medical fees.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eleshinleekan: 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
Hello VO,thanks for your in depth analysis on various issues concerning Immigrant Visa on this forum. I believe u are impacting people positively with your good work more than u probably think smiley
Am a 2014DV winner and our interview is scheduled for Mid August. My major concern is this; the date of birth on my school certificate reads 20/02...(20-february) while my actual date of birth is 21/02...(21-february) what proof do I need to rectify this mistake? Aside affidavit that is. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by alickic(m): 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Dear Visa Officer,we paid $990 (168300 naira) for the three of us. The only document missing was the medical reports. The CO returned both the original payment receipts and the duplicates( transaction numbers 1500290 and 15002901). We paid the interview fees for the whole family and all our documents were submitted except the medical reports. The CO returned all the original documents but our original birth certificates are still there
We are with the state department copy and customer copy for the $990
The sickness started about 3 weeks ago, she was in the hospital for close to three weeks. She was diagnosed Typhoid. We treated it for the first week but it resurfaced again two weeks ago. Because of this,we couldn't come for our medical tests. Since she was the principal applicant,there was nothing I could do than to wait for her to get well. Fortunately for us,she was ok on tuesday. We came to Lagos on Wednesday but before we could get to the hospital,it was late already and they couldn't attend to us. We were able to do our police reports that day. We wanted to go for the medical tests immediately after the interview. On thursday at the embassy,we paid the necessary fees($990) for the whole family. The cashier gave us the receipts with transaction numbers 15002900 and 15002901. When the CO called concerning the medical reports,I was trying to explain what really happened to her,but she didn't want to hear
(a) can we go for the medical tests this morning?
(b) Our original birth certificates are still with the embassy. Are they going to return them?
(c) the department state copy and customer copy are still with us
Please Sir/Ma,we really need your help. What step(s) should we take now.. The medical reports are the only things left for us to be done. Can we go to the hospital this morning for the medical tests?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olami101: 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
thank for ur usual response,pls i hav a bulging question....am d PA,our visa lottery was played by a cyber cafe attendance who mistakenly upload anoda persons picture instead of my wife picture without our knwledge of dis mistake,we were place on AP,and our visa was denied afterward based on section 212(a)(6)E,pls d question is dat... is our case goin to be revisited ?,what are d chances dat we have ? Wht shd we do for our case to receive favourable attention ? Do we still hav chances or dis is d end ?thank u as u respond to these question carefully cos it concerns our life n our opportunity to make it inlife.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pepson: 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

There are also waivers available if you apply for a non-immigrant visa, but that's a question to ask my friends on the non-immigrant thread.

When your brother becomes a citizen, he can file an I-130 petition on your behalf. But to file for a waiver with a sibling petition, you still need a spouse, parent, or child in the U.S., not a sibling.

ok V.O i think i am clear on that point,but there is one aspect which i dont still understand,atsome point in our previous discussions you said that you people were kind on those who committed fraud when there were minor at time of interview.so my question is how come an ineligibility was entered into my records by then knowing well that i was a minor(14years)?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ikembadelta(m): 11:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
hmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cybergee(m): 1:21am On Jul 18, 2014
pls VO, how do i submit my documents, i just submitted my immigration visa application online and they said i must submit my documents before interview appointment. im to mail them to NVC and how will i do the medicals.my mum petition for me.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Jul 18, 2014
alickic:
We paid the $990 for the three of us. It was my understanding that you had not yet paid the fees?
We paid $990 for the three of us.We supposed to have come two weeks ago for the medicals,but she was ill and not strong enough to travel. Coming to lagos was a big risk because she is not fully okay. We got to lagos and we headed to the hospital but it was late already. The fee is not the issue. I wanted to mail LagosIV,but we decided to come to the interview and planned to visit the hospital after the interview. She is nursing a baby beside that she is sick. I can't put the life of my dear wife before anything. Sir/ma,I know you understand what i'm passing through,the issue is not about the medical fees.

Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov. There are other serious issues with your case that shouldn't be discussed in a public forum.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Jul 18, 2014
eleshinleekan: Hello VO,thanks for your in depth analysis on various issues concerning Immigrant Visa on this forum. I believe u are impacting people positively with your good work more than u probably think smiley
Am a 2014DV winner and our interview is scheduled for Mid August. My major concern is this; the date of birth on my school certificate reads 20/02...(20-february) while my actual date of birth is 21/02...(21-february) what proof do I need to rectify this mistake? Aside affidavit that is. Thanks.

Just be ready to explain. If your birth certificate and passport show the same date of birth, you should be all right.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:20am On Jul 18, 2014
olami101: thank for ur usual response,pls i hav a bulging question....am d PA,our visa lottery was played by a cyber cafe attendance who mistakenly upload anoda persons picture instead of my wife picture without our knwledge of dis mistake,we were place on AP,and our visa was denied afterward based on section 212(a)(6)E,pls d question is dat... is our case goin to be revisited ?,what are d chances dat we have ? Wht shd we do for our case to receive favourable attention ? Do we still hav chances or dis is d end ?thank u as u respond to these question carefully cos it concerns our life n our opportunity to make it inlife.

No, your case will not be revisited and indeed you are permanently banned from entering the United States. 212(a)(6)E is the ineligibility for attempted human smuggling. If you someday have a new visa application, you *may* be eligible to apply for a waiver of this ineligibility.

(There must be more to this story than a mismatched photo for you to have received a 212(a)(6)E ineligibility.)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.