Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678970 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 12:17pm On Jan 17, 2015
A very good morning to you VO.
In the responses we sometimes get from the Consulate when we do ask for update,we were told to email when & if we do have "new information" or "new questions".My wife (my petitioner) is currently with me in Nigeria & we would like to know if informing the US Consulate will help our visa case & if we can request for another interview for both of us considering the above.She is staying for about two weeks.Your directions will be appreciated.Our Kind Regards. LGS2013530028.- Mr & Mrs Akinduro.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nishan2012: 8:13pm On Jan 17, 2015
hi ..
During interview time the VO doubt in the photo of applicant.. if aaplicant show the same photo in other mos important document.. like citizenship card .. what u will do? you will disqualified him or go for next step??
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lissagal: 11:18pm On Jan 17, 2015
Hellooo everyone
Hi VO,hw r uuu?
Pls i hv being wondering about IR1/CR1 visa, since nvc has the documents already which is to be sent to the embassy in view of the interview, what documents or photocopies are we expected to bring along? Nvc checklist on p4 doesnot indicate a new document, and sm1 said i shud bring hubby's AOS and tax clearance which nvc has already.
Also abt bona fide rship proof, i hv an album of photos that are beta organised but sm1 told me its prefered singly...need d right info.
Officially, am confused... And need guidelines

Thanks@ VO
Good luck also to those awaiting interviews
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by godfather007: 9:03pm On Jan 18, 2015
Hi C.O,

Hope you had a great weekend ?

My fiancee (american citizen) just filed the Form I-129F this week, now she couldn't wait for it to get approved and have me join her but she'll rather leave the U.S and come live with me in South Africa while the petition is pending and we move back together when everything is finalized... She's been a handful over this issue and its gotten to a point that i have to say Yes just not to hurt her feelings , i believe she fell n love with the country and especially Cape Town during her visits and now she just want to come and stay lol... The plan is surely to move back to the U.S together though...

My question " Will this move affect anything about the pending petition ? Do you think its the wrong or right thing to do ? Will it have any negative impact/effect on the petition? What advise have you got?

I just need your thoughts and advise on this...

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by princessedo: 9:59pm On Jan 18, 2015
hello,
Please I wanted to ask a question about i134. My fiance claimed his sister as a dependent on his 2013 tax returns 1040, but now she has gotten a better job and is capable of wholly supporting herself, so he wont be claiming her as a dependent in his 2014 tax returns, however, since our interview is end middle of February and we would be submitting the 1040 from 2013 that lists his sister as a dependent, do we have to write the sisters name as a dependent in the I-134 affidavit of support (taking into consideration that since late last year, the sister is no longer dependent on him and would not be listed in the 2014 1040 as a dependent).
Im really confused and we need urgent answers. I really look forward to hearing from u. Thank u
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ladebounty: 12:26pm On Jan 19, 2015
Sir/ma, I filled a non immigrant application form for my son on form DS-160 and after completing the form I printed out the confirmation slip but on the confirmation slip I printed out does not carry a date of interview so how do I know the date of interview. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 19, 2015
HELP! HELP! HELP!

Dear VO, please come to my rescue. I just scheduled my interview appointment for next month only to realise that the DS-160 confirmation number is totally different from the one I submitted. So I tried to retrieve the application to complete and submit but it says that the form is archived, please how do I retrieve the form or reschedule my appointment on dstraveldocs. Please come to my rescue VO, I need your help. Thank you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fyv722: 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2015
Dear visa officer, please i will like to get some clarification on my k1visa application. My case was transfered to lagos on 4th of december from nicosia. but till now the lagos embassy is yet to recieve the hard copy of the transfered file and my case will expire on the 28 of february. But i discovered that my case status was updated to "Ready"on the 12th of january on the CEAC website, but i have not gotten any informatiom from the consulate regarding my interview. could you please give me an idea of what is going on with my case. Thanks for your assistance
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
Dear VO, so I finally retrieved the application and it happened to be the form I used for F1 3 years ago and the data was on default so I didnt realiseb the mistake until I printed confirmation. Now I am applying for k1, please is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there anyway I can change the ds-160 form in an already scheduled appointment. Please please help me...
I cant imagine paying the mrv fee all over.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ibraheemolasupo: 11:00pm On Jan 19, 2015
Hello VO,

I had my interview on 01-15-15 which I was approved and my category is IR-1 but whenever I check my status on ceac.state.gov it still says Ready which got me little bit worried, so I want to be sure if I will still able to pick up my visa on Thursday just like I was told to check the visa collection centre on 01-22-15 (THURSDAY).
Here's my case number LGS2013560001.
Thank you very much ma, I will be looking forward to hearing from you again pretty soon.

Ibraheem O.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:24am On Jan 20, 2015
Jchi9876:

Why does our VO keep getting this wrong!!!!

"Correction of endorsement on immigrant visa . If the alien is subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Act, but the classification endorsed on the immigrant visa does not so indicate, the endorsement shall be corrected and the alien shall be admitted as a lawful permanent resident on a conditional basis, if otherwise admissible. Conversely, if the alien is not subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Act, but the visa classification endorsed on the immigrant visa indicates that the alien is subject thereto (e.g., if the second anniversary of the marriage upon which the immigrant visa is based occurred after the issuance of the visa and prior to the alien's application for admission) the endorsement on the visa shall be corrected and the alien shall be admitted as a lawful permanent resident without conditions, if otherwise admissible"

In actual and legal sense if your anniversary is less than two years upon visa approval you get a CR1 and upon entry into the USA within same time frame you get a two year conditional.
However if upon entry into the USA after second aniversary holder automatically gets bumped to permanent status.

Its also an irony that applicants upon getting this visa no longer seem so in a "hurry" to be with spouse anymore and would rather wait to get bumped shocked

Hmmmm. Yet in practice, we often hear from people who were issued CR1s because they'd been married less than two years at the time of visa issuance, but whose second anniversaries came before they entered the U.S.; they enter the U.S., are placed on conditional status because they have CR1 visas, and then contact us asking us to fix the problem, which by then is out of our hands because the visa has already been used.

I guess the best course of action is to keep a copy of your marriage certificate handy to show CBP at the point of entry. Otherwise, in my experience, no matter how long you've been married, if you have a CR1 visa you'll be placed on conditional status.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:29am On Jan 20, 2015
amarachi007:

This is incorrect. If you've been married for at least two years on the day you POE (enter the US) then you will receive an unconditional ten year green card. You should travel with a certified copy of your marriage certificate, and remind CBP of this fact when they process you at Secondary.

http://travel.state....elative.html#12

"If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.”"

http://www.uscis.gov...-based-marriage

"Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than 2 years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence."

I stand corrected. Still, it seems that in practice USCIS is giving conditional status to people who hold CR1s, even if they have passed their second anniversary. It is probably best to carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you when you travel if this is an issue that will affect you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:30am On Jan 20, 2015
nalacandi:
Dear VO,

I submitted an email for a status update and I was informed to no longer email for update. I was not aware that we are not allowed to ask for an update. I guess I have become a bother, but to be honest my husband and I have been waiting more than the 60 days for something to happen on our case only to be told we can no longer even ask. I don't want to upset the embassy, but I cant lie and say that we miss each other and this process is becoming brutal. Maybe we seem desperate to others, but I must be honest that I don't see why we must endure this AP process and continue to delay our lives together. My mother is beginning to have more health problems and I had to take her to the Emergency Room the other night. Please have I don't something wrong when we were told after 60 days we can submit a request? Plus I was informed this could take several weeks and I am now being told several months. I have not seen my husband for 26 months and I want to visit him but I am scared to leave my mother because I am her caretaker and I am also caring for a woman who just lost her husband to a stroke whom I used to take care of before I started working with disabled at Easter Seals. Please any advice?

I apologize if I have upset anyone, it is not my intention, but yes I am desperate, as someone told me recently, to be with my husband whom I love dearly. This process is killing us and stressing us, but I can guarantee we won't give up. We are just asking for some sense of relief to be able to relax some. I cry every day and have been since before Christmas.

Thanks

Nalacandi

I'm afraid we don't have an update at this time. I'll have a word with the good people who answer our e-mails and remind them that we welcome inquiries from the public.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On Jan 20, 2015
noberu10:

We thank you for taking the time to look into this. Just wanted to touch base and see if you received it and had a chance to review the evidence?

I'll follow up with our investigators. That said, it was clear to me that the letter you provided was inconclusive. It said "We will look into this," not "Oh yes, we have in fact verified that your divorce decree was issued by our office, and here is the proof." In the meantime, the case is being handled like any other case with a fraudulent divorce decree: The petition has been returned to USCIS. If you can provide convincing evidence that the divorce decree is genuine, we can recall the petition and keep going, but at this point we've had no reason to alter our processing of the case.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On Jan 20, 2015
johnkent:
Hi,
While filling out the DS-160, I had indicated that I'll be attending the interview at the embassy in Lagos but I decided to schedule the interview at the Abuja embassy because it was more convenient for me. Is it okay to use the DS-160 even though it says lagos embassy on the DS-160 confirmation page.
Thanks

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:39am On Jan 20, 2015
printemps:
A very good morning to you VO.
In the responses we sometimes get from the Consulate when we do ask for update,we were told to email when & if we do have "new information" or "new questions".My wife (my petitioner) is currently with me in Nigeria & we would like to know if informing the US Consulate will help our visa case & if we can request for another interview for both of us considering the above.She is staying for about two weeks.Your directions will be appreciated.Our Kind Regards. LGS2013530028.- Mr & Mrs Akinduro.

Thank you for this information. We do not need to speak with the petitioner at this time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:40am On Jan 20, 2015
nishan2012:
hi ..
During interview time the VO doubt in the photo of applicant.. if aaplicant show the same photo in other mos important document.. like citizenship card .. what u will do? you will disqualified him or go for next step??

Can you provide some context for these questions? I don't understand what you're asking. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:41am On Jan 20, 2015
lissagal:
Hellooo everyone
Hi VO,hw r uuu?
Pls i hv being wondering about IR1/CR1 visa, since nvc has the documents already which is to be sent to the embassy in view of the interview, what documents or photocopies are we expected to bring along? Nvc checklist on p4 doesnot indicate a new document, and sm1 said i shud bring hubby's AOS and tax clearance which nvc has already.
Also abt bona fide rship proof, i hv an album of photos that are beta organised but sm1 told me its prefered singly...need d right info.
Officially, am confused... And need guidelines

Thanks@ VO
Good luck also to those awaiting interviews

Please bring the documents listed in Packet 4 along with any relationship evidence you have. Every relationship is different, so we can't tell anyone exactly what to bring.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:43am On Jan 20, 2015
godfather007:
Hi C.O,

Hope you had a great weekend ?

My fiancee (american citizen) just filed the Form I-129F this week, now she couldn't wait for it to get approved and have me join her but she'll rather leave the U.S and come live with me in South Africa while the petition is pending and we move back together when everything is finalized... She's been a handful over this issue and its gotten to a point that i have to say Yes just not to hurt her feelings , i believe she fell n love with the country and especially Cape Town during her visits and now she just want to come and stay lol... The plan is surely to move back to the U.S together though...

My question " Will this move affect anything about the pending petition ? Do you think its the wrong or right thing to do ? Will it have any negative impact/effect on the petition? What advise have you got?

I just need your thoughts and advise on this...

Thanks

I can't tell you whether it would be right or wrong, but the most important thing to the interviewing officer will simply be whether or not you have a bona fide relationship with the petitioner. Everything aside from that is much less important.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Jan 20, 2015
princessedo:
hello,
Please I wanted to ask a question about i134. My fiance claimed his sister as a dependent on his 2013 tax returns 1040, but now she has gotten a better job and is capable of wholly supporting herself, so he wont be claiming her as a dependent in his 2014 tax returns, however, since our interview is end middle of February and we would be submitting the 1040 from 2013 that lists his sister as a dependent, do we have to write the sisters name as a dependent in the I-134 affidavit of support (taking into consideration that since late last year, the sister is no longer dependent on him and would not be listed in the 2014 1040 as a dependent).
Im really confused and we need urgent answers. I really look forward to hearing from u. Thank u

If she's not a dependent on the date on which the I-134 is filled out, she doesn't need to be listed as a dependent.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Jan 20, 2015
Euma:
HELP! HELP! HELP!

Dear VO, please come to my rescue. I just scheduled my interview appointment for next month only to realise that the DS-160 confirmation number is totally different from the one I submitted. So I tried to retrieve the application to complete and submit but it says that the form is archived, please how do I retrieve the form or reschedule my appointment on dstraveldocs. Please come to my rescue VO, I need your help. Thank you ma.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Jan 20, 2015
ladebounty:
Sir/ma, I filled a non immigrant application form for my son on form DS-160 and after completing the form I printed out the confirmation slip but on the confirmation slip I printed out does not carry a date of interview so how do I know the date of interview. Thanks

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by honnynut: 7:48am On Jan 20, 2015
Hello VO,

I had my IR1 interview on Jan 16. I was deemed inadmissible and requested the option to file I-601 waiver. However, I asked the Consular Officer for a "Refusal Notice" which is essential to file the waiver at the Phoenix Lockbox, but he insisted he does not have to give me any document in that regard.

According to the USCIS website, it states -

"If you are outside the United States and a Department of State consular officer has already interviewed you at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate and determined that you are ineligible for an immigrant visa based on a ground of inadmissibility, the consulate will give you a refusal notice. The refusal notice indicates the ground of visa ineligibility and whether you may be eligible to apply for a waiver. If the notice indicates you are eligible to apply for a waiver, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601 with the Lockbox".

In light of the above, can I get a Refusal Notice? My NVC # AMS2007812003.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Jan 20, 2015
fyv722:
Dear visa officer, please i will like to get some clarification on my k1visa application. My case was transfered to lagos on 4th of december from nicosia. but till now the lagos embassy is yet to recieve the hard copy of the transfered file and my case will expire on the 28 of february. But i discovered that my case status was updated to "Ready"on the 12th of january on the CEAC website, but i have not gotten any informatiom from the consulate regarding my interview. could you please give me an idea of what is going on with my case. Thanks for your assistance

Without a case number, there's no way I can tell. My advice is to e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask if the case is ready to be scheduled.

Even if the petition expires, we have the authority to extend its validity, so don't worry about that aspect.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 20, 2015
I applied for a student visa in 2012. But now I am applying for a K1. I booked an interview appointment with the ds-160 confirmation number from the old F1 visa application. Can I change the ds-160?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Jan 20, 2015
Euma:
Dear VO, so I finally retrieved the application and it happened to be the form I used for F1 3 years ago and the data was on default so I didnt realiseb the mistake until I printed confirmation. Now I am applying for k1, please is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there anyway I can change the ds-160 form in an already scheduled appointment. Please please help me...
I cant imagine paying the mrv fee all over.

Oh, now I understand what you're asking. Please contact the CGI Call Center at +234 0144 06218 to ask how to resolve this problem.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:54am On Jan 20, 2015
ibraheemolasupo:
Hello VO,

I had my interview on 01-15-15 which I was approved and my category is IR-1 but whenever I check my status on ceac.state.gov it still says Ready which got me little bit worried, so I want to be sure if I will still able to pick up my visa on Thursday just like I was told to check the visa collection centre on 01-22-15 (THURSDAY).
Here's my case number LGS2013560001.
Thank you very much ma, I will be looking forward to hearing from you again pretty soon.

Ibraheem O.

Looks like the visa should be printed today or tomorrow, so it should be ready for pick-up on Thursday. You may want to call the collection center first, to be sure the visa is ready before you make the trip.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:56am On Jan 20, 2015
honnynut:
Hello VO,

I had my IR1 interview on Jan 16. I was deemed inadmissible and requested the option to file I-601 waiver. However, I asked the Consular Officer for a "Refusal Notice" which is essential to file the waiver at the Phoenix Lockbox, but he insisted he does not have to give me any document in that regard.

According to the USCIS website, it states -

"If you are outside the United States and a Department of State consular officer has already interviewed you at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate and determined that you are ineligible for an immigrant visa based on a ground of inadmissibility, the consulate will give you a refusal notice. The refusal notice indicates the ground of visa ineligibility and whether you may be eligible to apply for a waiver. If the notice indicates you are eligible to apply for a waiver, you may apply for a waiver by filing Form I-601 with the Lockbox".

In light of the above, can I get a Refusal Notice? My NVC # AMS2007812003.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

I'm guessing you don't want me to post the refusal notice here on Nairaland for you to download. Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 8:02am On Jan 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You are likely correct in that assumption, yes.

Thank you Ma,
Do you know how long we still have to wait before our case is complete?

Thanks again. Have a great day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by honnynut: 8:10am On Jan 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'm guessing you don't want me to post the refusal notice here on Nairaland for you to download. Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov. Thanks!

Sent. Thanks.

God bless you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2015
Badgers14:

Thank you Ma,
Do you know how long we still have to wait before our case is complete?

Thanks again. Have a great day.

I'm not sure, but I hope we can contact the beneficiary this week to schedule a follow-up interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2015
honnynut:

Sent. Thanks.

God bless you.

Sent back to you. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.