Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,062 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You (16523 Views)

Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by bukatyne(f): 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
babystathopoulos: We all need to be realistic with life as it is not as we have in our imaginations. Don't be decieve that you can have it all(especially women) when you have a demanding career and the same time run a successful home. There is nothing like "Balancing", body nor be firewood. Is either the husband or the kids or both are paying the price. When the man don't complain is because he is a good cheat.
My advice for men is; don't expect any woman to change or suppress her career because of you. Chose a woman that fits into your future plan.
My advice to women; is a good thing to have a dream and pursue and get to the highest point. But if you want to be overambitious to try and avoid the marriage road. Marriage is not for everyone.

Baby,

I think you need ti stop looking at it from a man/woman perspective.

I am very sure that Nelson Mandela would disagree with you (men cannot have it all either)

If we believe what they project, Omotola and Dora seemed to be able to create a balance
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by sailormoon: 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
'Ideal' is subjective, there's no particular wrong or right answer. I personally am very career driven so it would not be 'ideal' for me to be with someone with such a mindset, I can somewhat see where one who thinks like this is coming from though.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
jhidey08: since u knw ur responsibilities as a woman do u think u can mix those two tins nd av a "pass mark" in dem? Wait first, let's get dis ryt first, wot's ur definition of a demanding career? 4rm which hours of d day till when do such women work? Gimme an example of such work?

I asked you a question, what is, according to you, the primary responsibility of a woman?

Why do you refuse to answer this question?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by TV01(m): 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe: You say so because you were brought up this way and because this is what you are used to.
Nope, years of anthropological experience clearly shows this. At the different stages of a childs development, the importance of the input from the parents differ. More crucially the difference between male & female input is key to a psychologically well balanced child.

Certainly we have children who do well despite this. But those are exceptions not the rule. Are you trying to sell us "interchangeability of the sexes?"

carefreewannabe:
A father and a mother are EQUALLY IMPORTANT. No parent is more or less important. Children need both.
I don't believe anyone here has disputed this? I certainly didn't.

carefreewannabe:
The role of a mother and a father do NOT have to be the same but they can be the same. They can also be different.
So you are selling "interchangeability". Can men give birth or breastfeed? Do men undergo the same physiological and psycholigical changes that women do before, during and after chldbirth? Are the responses and instincts of Mothers, Fathers and children in relation too one another merely learned responses?

The evident truth is simply that they are different, that's why we have men and women. And they are patently not the same - by design. Being treated equally, does not demand equal outcomes or forced equivalence. Not unless you make an ideology of it grin. It's just a segue into homosex and other ill-considered re-engineering initiatives.

carefreewannabe:
There is nothing wrong with the traditonal roles of women staying at home with little children and a man working BUT there is also NOTHING wrong with a role switch, where a woman works and the father stays at home.
There may be instances where it makes the best of a situation or even makes sense tactically, but for the vast majority our wiring (not how they were brought up) would make the dynamic of such an arrangement very difficult.

carefreewannabe:
I know many couples in Germany who switch their traditional roles and nobody disrespects them for it because they do what ist BEST for them and their family at a given moment.
As above.
Would you happily enter into that arrangement?

carefreewannabe:
It is not my win but I am very happy. smiley I am about to leave the country for holidays but thinking it would be better to stay here now as the whole country is partying cool
Enjoy your holiday wherever you go. The Germans love Turkey

TV
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
honeric01:

What is your idea role for a father and a mother?

What are the major responsibilities for mothers
What are the major responsibilities for fathers?

Maybe people are mixing up your point of view because you haven't been clear with them on what should be "proper" in your view?

I don't stick to fixed roles. I believe in pragmatism, flexibility and personal choice.

I do neither rely on medieval teachings on gender roles nor on the roles people had in the Stone Age.

I support freedom and different ways of running a family.

If a couple chooses to stick to the traditional role of a woman being a housewife and the man the breadwinner, fine with me.

If a couple decides that it is better that the woman goes to work and the man stays at home to take care of the house and the children, fine with me.

If a couple decides to share all responsibilites, fine with me.

I will NOT let ANYONE decide for me what to do with my life based on my gender.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by TV01(m): 1:33pm On Jul 14, 2014
cococandy: Maybe that post wasn't self explanatory as I thought.
Life is about choices in my opinion. If I have a family and my career is getting in the way, I'll have to be very willing to give up my career for my kids and not otherwise. In that case,it is MY CHOICE and a happy one too. It won't be bondage because it is my first choice.and no you're not in bondage because you WILLINGLY CHOSE to make those choices

But if I so want my career and can't have it because I lack the support I need from my partner,then it is bondage.
It is indeed bondage for someone to live without what they want not because they chose to sacrifice it but because they were made to give it up.
That's where I'm coming from.

That said I think everyone here agrees on going for those who have the same ideology as them

All that about role reversal and having it all isn't for me right? smiley
Because I didn't insinuate any such thing.
For someone to take on a career and her home and make the best she can out of both she has to work harder/smarter than she normally would.same for a man. So yes something gives and that's not having it all.we agree on that.

Sorry I can't go to that thread now.

Agreed that a mother is more needed at the infant stage of a child's life but that's not where child raising stops. After that stage,it's both hands on deck. And all this has nothing IMO to do with bathing/ feeding chores. More like being a steady presence in the child's life.

It's still not quite clear, especially the bolded - to me anyway. No worries. I've made my point - marriage is not first and foremeost about either spouses career or their "individual" choices/desires.

TV
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Ngokafor(f): 1:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
...I think the saying 'to each their own' should be the focal point in this discussion.The peculiar family dynamics we find ourselves in determines whether or not some ambitious women like most of us on this thread can pull off pursing our chosen careers at full-throttle,especially when the marriage and kids are still very young..

...for instance,if one's hubby has an equally time- consuming and demanding work-schedule.. who then should 'step-down' for the other in this case huh?.Realistically i believe the woman should be the one to give in,ambition or no ambition untill the kids are older..dont get me wrong,i am not advocating for a house-wife role here(not that it is such a crime) but the kind of job that can give her time to attend to her home because most men cannot handle it like a woman would..sad but true.

..The truth is that the more successful we are in our chosen careers or even businesses the more demanding in terms of our time it becomes..marathon meetiings,trips within the country and beyond on short notices to meet up with one client or another,import and export issues..the list is endless..therefore leaving it for later for women is more advisable in my humble opinion.

...Dora Akunyili(RIP) and other powerful women we as women look up to did not become Ministers and all with their children as babies or toddlers...They all have grown-up children so it is a lot easier...but like a said earlier,to each their own.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
TV01:
Nope, years of anthropological experience clearly shows this. At the different stages of a childs development, the importance of the input from the parents differ. More crucially the difference between male & female input is key to a psychologically well balanced child.

Years of anthropological experience show that the most traditional countries are the most backward. This is what years of traditional experience show. Talking about input, explain to me what a father cannot give a child at a certain stage except for breast-feeding.

Certainly we have children who do well despite this. But those are exceptions not the rule. Are you trying to sell us "interchangeability of the sexes?"

When it comes to raising children both parents are equally qualified to do so unless they are retarded and therefore a danger to the child.

I don't believe anyone here has disputed this? I certainly didn't.

So you are selling "interchangeability". Can men give birth or breastfeed? Do men undergo the same physiological and psycholigical changes that women do before, during and after chldbirth? Are the responses and instincts of Mothers, Fathers and children in relation too one another merely learned responses?

Apart from breat-feeding, there is no other argument why men cannot raise children. And as for breast-feeding, there are solutions too. If you don't like them, let the mother stay with the child till she finishes breast-feeding and then take over. Note that some women are not able to breast-feed at all.

By the way, medical research chows that men also undergo physiological changes when their partners are pregnant, provided they live together and are close.

The evident truth is simply that they are different, that's why we have men and women. And they are patently not the same - by design. Being treated equally, does not demand equal outcomes or forced equivalence. Not unless you make an ideology of it grin. It's just a segue into homosex and other ill-considered re-engineering initiatives.

Being different gives NOBODY the right to tell me what I am SUPPOSSED to do with my life. Being different does not mean that I cannot be a doctor, teacher, CEO, scientist, lawyer or whatever. Being different does not mean that I am less qualified and more st. upid to make money. Being different does not mean that I have to enjoy house chores and that you are UNABLE to do them.

There may be instances where it makes the best of a situation or even makes sense tactically, but for the vast majority our wiring (not how they were brought up) would make the dynamic of such an arrangement very difficult.

As long as Nigerians will not accept that educated working women do the country a lot of good, there will be very little progress.

Working women → more money → more shopping → demand for more goods and services → more jobs
→ more prosperity

Just because something is difficult to achieve, does not mean it should not be tried to.

As above.
Would you happily enter into that arrangement?

I would unhappily enter an arrangement, in which my role is restricted to staying at home and in which my partner thinks that the house chores are the primary role of a woman.

Enjoy your holiday wherever you go. The Germans love Turkey

TV

Am not German.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by TV01(m): 1:49pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ngokafor:

...I think the saying 'to each their own' should be the focal point in this discussion.The peculiar family dynamics we find ourselves in determines whether or not some ambitious women like most of us on this thread can pull off pursing our chosen careers at full-throttle,especially when the marriage and kids are still very young..

...for instance,if one's hubby has an equally time- consuming and demanding work-schedule.. who then should 'step-down' for the other in this case huh?.Realistically i believe the woman should be the one to give in,ambition or no ambition untill the kids are older..dont get me wrong,i am not advocating for a house-wife role here(not that it is such a crime) but the kind of job that can give her time to attend to her home because most men cannot handle it like a woman would..sad but true.

..The truth is that the more successful we are in our chosen careers or even businesses the more demanding in terms of our time it becomes..marathon meetiings,trips within the country and beyond on short notices to meet up with one client or another,import and export issues..the list is endless..therefore leaving it for later for women is more advisable in my humble opinion.

...Dora Akunyili(RIP) and other powerful women we as women look up to did not become Ministers and all with their children as babies or toddlers...They all have grown-up children so it is a lot easier...but like a said earlier,to each their own.

Well presented. With obvious real-life experience and emotional intelligence.

Especially the bolded. Very few couples will be able to happily live with this dynamic. The tuth is, despite all the talk of equality, every relationship has a de facto lead. Men find it hard being led and women find it hard being with men of lower status.

TV
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Harmvirus(f): 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Is being a father a secondary role?
No, I didn't say it was
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by jhidey08(m): 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I asked you a question, what is, according to you, the primary responsibility of a woman?

Why do you refuse to answer this question?
u're an adult and I don't need 2 spell out everytin 2 u. Since u already said u knw it, I tink dere is no point in saying stories again.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by kaima1984(f): 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
He was LIKE,u were LIKE and I am LIKE,oyibo !!!
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I don't stick to fixed roles. I believe in pragmatism, flexibility and personal choice.

I do neither rely on medieval teachings on gender roles nor on the roles people had in the Stone Age.

I support freedom and different ways of running a family.

If a couple chooses to stick to the traditional role of a woman being a housewife and the man the breadwinner, fine with me.

If a couple decides that it is better that the woman goes to work and the man stays at home to take care of the house and the children, fine with me.

If a couple decides to share all responsibilites, fine with me.

I will NOT let ANYONE decide for me what to do with my life based on my gender.

Sorry, i asked for your own idea settings which i am yet to get, can you please be precise? thanks

When you say freedom, freedom to do what? anything in the family as you wish or?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by jhidey08(m): 2:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
Dis carefreewannabe is d kinda lady dat'll draw out tym table 4 doing household chores between herself and her husband because dey're both working. Can any1 tell define "a demanding career" 4me? 4rm which tym of d day till when do u av 2 work? Wot r d examples of such careers? I tink dis would make us understand ourselves beta.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by TV01(m): 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Years of anthropological experience show that the most traditional countries are the most backward. This is what years of traditional experience show.
What has this to do with with the point in question? Plus it's a non-sequitur. Are "forward" countries wothout "traditions"? Out of interest, please point us towards this illuminating research grin!

carefreewannabe:
Talking about input, explain to me what a father cannot give a child at a certain stage except for breast-feeding.
Fathers are not wired to provide the same degree/level of pre and post natal input to a childs life. It's not just care, it's development as well.

carefreewannabe:
When it comes to raising children both parents are equally qualified to do so unless they are retarded and therefore a danger to the child.
You are off-point, nobody made this claim. The point is that they are at some points differently equipped and therefore not interchangeable. And that fact should be considered when making decisions with the best long-term interest of the family in mind. Again, it's not just care, it's also oprimal development. Otherwise househelps/servants would obviate this conversation.

carefreewannabe:
Apart from breat-feeding, there is no other argument why men cannot raise children. And as for breast-feeding, there are solutions too. If you don't like them, let the mother stay with the child till she finishes breast-feeding and then take over. Note that some women are not able to breast-feed at all.
So lets take breast-feeding out of the equation. As soon as a child is born a father can take care of a child as well as it's mother? Please note my above responses.

carefreewannabe:
By the way, medical research chows that men also undergo physiological changes when their partners are pregnant, provided they live together and are close.
Excellent point. And does this research show that the changes are exactly the same? Or that the changes are not unique to either sex and therefore meaning both sexes are not actually required?

By your argument, two men can have a child by surrogate, take delivery of the child at birth and that is exactly the same and just as good as a male/female family. Yes?

carefreewannabe:
Being different gives NOBODY the right to tell me what I am SUPPOSSED to do with my life. Being different does not mean that I cannot be a doctor, teacher, CEO, scientist, lawyer or whatever. Being different does not mean that I am less qualified and more st. upid to make money. Being different does not mean that I have to enjoy house chores and that you are UNABLE to do them.
Nobody has claimed any of the above. And very little of it actually speaks to this discussion.
And for the little that does, I do house chores cool!

carefreewannabe: As long as Nigerians will not accept that educated working women do the country a lot of good, there will be very little progress.
Nigerias progress - or lack of - has very little to do with it's family structure. Or it's educational provision to the sexes. Except for the north which I don't know about, in the rest of the country there is hardly any difference.

carefreewannabe:
Working women → more money → more shopping → demand for more goods and services → more jobs
→ more prosperity
And even if this is true, does it mean better families or child nurture. Presumably the higher rates of divorce, single-parent homes, teen pregnancy, suicide, drug use, sexual violence, porn addictions etc. are all indicators of progress to you?

carefreewannabe:
Just because something is difficult to achieve, does not mean it should not be tried to.
smiley

carefreewannabe:
I would unhappily enter an arrangement, in which my role is restricted to staying at home and in which my partner thinks that the house chores are the primary role of a woman.
Don't be overly personal, nobody is being prescriptive or or even advisory. We are just presenting our points of view. Your choices remain personal.

carefreewannabe:
Am not German.
I appreciate that Frau CW. But Turkey is still a great holiday destination cheesy!

TV

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Harmvirus(f): 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ngokafor:

cool
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Tannie(f): 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
bukatyne:

And what job is 6 - 9 or do you mean 9 - 6/ 9 - 5

Depending on logistics, when you are working a 7 - 4 job, you might not be able to dress your kids up for school

I've seen women leave theiir house by 6am and return by 9pm but I'm not against it, whatever rocks their boat. But I don't want to be that kind of mother, I believe I've come this far in life because my mum was there for my siblings and I (she's a teacher) and I want to be there for my kids.
N/B I'm a career woman but I will glady make amends for my family till my children comes of age.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by bukatyne(f): 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
Tannie:

I've seen women leave theiir house by 6am and return by 9pm but I'm not against it, whatever rocks their boat. But I don't want to be that kind of mother, I believe I've come this far in life because my mum was there for my siblings and I (she's a teacher) and I want to be there for my kids.
N/B I'm a career woman but I will glady make amends for my family till my children comes of age.

Like I said in the first post I made on this thread, there is a difference between a mother delibrately working late in the name of building a career and a mother leaving early and getting home late because of logistics.

An average job is 8 - 5 in Nigeria

Logistics now determine when you leave/get home

I agree that parents should make ample time for their kids
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
We are fine smiley
bukatyne:

Thanks

How are you and bros wink
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by BizBloke(m): 3:42pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I think, you are right. smiley

smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2014
This is the typical mindset of an ignorant man who suffers from nothing more other than insecurity.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by damiso(f): 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
BizBloke:

Exactly, Damiso.

Some sort of sacrifice (either way for career or family ) is made when you have kids so to think otherwise is just not being realistic . And yeah most times the mothers tend to be the ones who make the sacrifice.Its not just a Nigerian or African reality.Its a reality for mothers the world over. That's why mothers tend to be the ones who work from home, work part time, work compressed hours, job share etc.

I got passed over for promotion as I was unable to travel at the drop of a hat (and thats even within the UK) which was a sacrifice on my part.We can say my husband could have picked up the slack but we had a routine where he dropped my daughter off as he worked nearer home and could resume after 9.I picked her up as I could go in earlier and leave early (half 3 /4) and pick her up play with her abit cook dinner and tuck her into bed as i left home most times before she woke up.So if I had to be travelling to Hull, Manchester with just a day's notice (clients are king in the business world) who would pick up my daughter from nursery?Is it the same husband that had already negotiated coming in later so he could close later?

I was initially pained but I later said to myself tucking my daughter into bed myself after leaving home most times before she woke up is enough promotion for me.

Like someone else has said its not black and white but truly having kids MIGHT mean you slowing down a bit till an effective rhythm is found that works for your family.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Joel3(m): 5:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
cococandy: I'm fine thanks
Yes I am she
Yes this is a new ID
Old one is dead cheesy
due to the recent attack or u deactivate it?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 5:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
bukatyne:

Like I said in the first post I made on this thread, there is a difference between a mother delibrately working late in the name of building a career and a mother leaving early and getting home late because of logistics.

An average job is 8 - 5 in Nigeria

Logistics now determine when you leave/get home

I agree that parents should make ample time for their kids

Then she can as well look for a job that won't make her return home by 9-10pm, if truly she wants to spend more time with her family, if not, then she's as guilty as the one deliberately working late. (Which woman works late deliberately to be truthful?)
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Vivipop(f): 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
One thousand and one likes kiss
remsonik: I would ve a hard time settling with such a man cos I and my siblings are raised to be very ambitious and there were no barriers or limitations cos I am a girl. My dad was doing his private business while my mum was in the civil service. My mom rose to the top and she retired and my dad kept pushing her to achieve more,get a doctorate degree and rise to the pinnacle of her career.
If the man is insecured that's when he starts feeling his wife is over ambitious. A woman doesn't need to abandon or limit her dreams cos of a man. If she indeed is lazy even limiting her dreams won't make the home any better.
We didn't ve maids while growing up but my mom was a homemaker and my dad assisted her too.
My parents have been married for close to 40 years.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
The truth about life is that you can't have it all. no natter how we try. Demanding lucrative careers from both spouses at the detriment of tight family bond or vice versa. it depends anyway
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Vivipop(f): 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Good to know that this calibre of ladies still exist. You said it all
cococandy: Any body who's a parent should know their family comes first. Be he husband or wife.
A man who makes all the money in the world without being available for his kids is still considered a failure as a father.
Kids who grew up with absentee fathers know this too. That no amount of money can make up for the parents deep and intimate involvement in their lives.

This mindset is what makes mothers more celebrated than fathers because despite all the money the kids are more bonded with who was available for them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being ambituous be you man or woman. But a balance is necessary for both parties. And curtailing your ambitions as a woman isn't the answer. That's bondage.
Knowing how to make the best of your time is the answer.

Who's talking about African women in particular here?
Do African women raise better kids than other races? Look at Nigeria as a case study and look at other societies and tell me how relegating yourselves to the background or curtailing your ambitions as african women has helped your country.

I still maintain it is better for the kids if both parents make time for them. Excusing fathers' absence in the name of bread winning is almost the same thing as a single mom raising her kids alone with the father paying child support.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
TV01:
What has this to do with with the point in question? Plus it's a non-sequitur. Are "forward" countries wothout "traditions"? Out of interest, please point us towards this illuminating research grin!

What research do you need to see that progressive countries are progressive?

Fathers are not wired to provide the same degree/level of pre and post natal input to a childs life. It's not just care, it's development as well.

Be more specific. What exactly are fathers UNABLE to provide except for b.r.e a. s. t- feeding?

You are off-point, nobody made this claim. The point is that they are at some points differently equipped and therefore not interchangeable. And that fact should be considered when making decisions with the best long-term interest of the family in mind. Again, it's not just care, it's also oprimal development. Otherwise househelps/servants would obviate this conversation.

You STILL have not answered my question. What exactly are fathers NOT ABLE to give to their children that mothers are except for b.r.e.a.st - feeding?

So lets take breast-feeding out of the equation. As soon as a child is born a father can take care of a child as well as it's mother? Please note my above responses.

EXACTLY, unless he is a r.e. t. a. r.d.

Excellent point. And does this research show that the changes are exactly the same? Or that the changes are not unique to either sex and therefore meaning both sexes are not actually required?

I don't remember, I read this article some years ago at a doctor's office.

By your argument, two men can have a child by surrogate, take delivery of the child at birth and that is exactly the same and just as good as a male/female family. Yes?

This is not what I said.

Nobody has claimed any of the above. And very little of it actually speaks to this discussion.
And for the little that does, I do house chores cool!

I am quite sure you are a good man. wink

Nigerias progress - or lack of - has very little to do with it's family structure. Or it's educational provision to the sexes. Except for the north which I don't know about, in the rest of the country there is hardly any difference.

A society's progress has ALWAYS very much to do with its core unit called family. No sociologist would dispute that.

And even if this is true, does it mean better families or child nurture. Presumably the higher rates of divorce, single-parent homes, teen pregnancy, suicide, drug use, sexual violence, porn addictions etc. are all indicators of progress to you? smiley

I would rather have higher divorce rates than fathers who, when bored with the first wife, get a second or third or ....

I would rather have single-parent homes than miserable marriages, in which women are threatened to be send packing out of the HUSBAND'S house.

I would rather have teen pregnancies, which are RATHER typical of the lower classes, than girls who have abortions in dubious places and men who LEGALLY marry marry kids.

Suicide, drug abuse, se.xual violence and porn addicitons are also to be encountered in Nigeria.

I PREFER TO LIVE IN A SOCIETY THAT IS NOT PERFECT THAN IN A SOCIETY THAT IS A COMPLETE MESS WITH EXTREME HIGH POVERTY AND AIDS RATES AND CORPSES ON THE STREET.

Don't be overly personal, nobody is being prescriptive or or even advisory. We are just presenting our points of view. Your choices remain personal.

I am not too sure.

I appreciate that Frau CW. But Turkey is still a great holiday destination cheesy!

TV

I agree, I was in Turkey some years ago.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
jhidey08: Dis carefreewannabe is d kinda lady dat'll draw out tym table 4 doing household chores between herself and her husband because dey're both working. Can any1 tell define "a demanding career" 4me? 4rm which tym of d day till when do u av 2 work? Wot r d examples of such careers? I tink dis would make us understand ourselves beta.

Demanding career is not defined by working hours. A doctor may be away from home for up to four days and sleep in the hospital and then have three free days.

A school principle could be at school from 8 am till 5 pm.

A CEO could have fixed times like from 8 am till 1 pm and then be asked to organise the rest of the working time all by himself / herself.

You know very little.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
honeric01:

Sorry, i asked for your own idea settings which i am yet to get, can you please be precise? thanks

When you say freedom, freedom to do what? anything in the family as you wish or?

When I say freedom, I mean that the couple decides for themselves and not the society.
Saying that a man is not man enough if he takes some time off to take cre of his children is intolerant.
Saying that a mother is not good mother when she has a career is intolerant.

Let people / families do what is in their best interest.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by rezzy: 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
He was like, i am like. Na yoruba Lasu/unilag babes dey speak like this. But i'm surprised, you are a male
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 14, 2014
jhidey08: u're an adult and I don't need 2 spell out everytin 2 u. Since u already said u knw it, I tink dere is no point in saying stories again.

I am asking because I am pretty sure that we have different things in mind. Why are you runnng away from my question? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

White Girl, Pregnant To Married Nigerian Man / Deleted Post / Things You Did In The Kitchen As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.