Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,694 members, 7,816,835 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You (16522 Views)

Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 14, 2014
TV01:

The truth is that women tend to be more pivotal on the home front.

You say so because you were brought up this way and because this is what you are used to.

As for the "EQUALLY IMPORTANT" point, please expalian, are they equally important in the same way? Are the roles exactly the same - or effectively inter-changeable?

TV

A father and a mother are EQUALLY IMPORTANT. No parent is more or less important. Children need both.
The role of a mother and a father do NOT have to be the same but they can be the same. They can also be different.

There is nothing wrong with the traditonal roles of women staying at home with little children and a man working BUT there is also NOTHING wrong with a role switch, where a woman works and the father stays at home.

I know many couples in Germany who switch their traditional roles and nobody disrespects them for it because they do what ist BEST for them and their family at a given moment.

**congratulations on your win. I was rooting for the Argentines, but the Germans deservedly took the spoils**

It is not my win but I am very happy. smiley I am about to leave the country for holidays but thinking it would be better to stay here now as the whole country is partying cool
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Ajekpakororo: 11:32am On Jul 14, 2014
cococandy: Any body who's a parent should know their family comes first. Be he husband or wife.
A man who makes all the money in the world without being available for his kids is still considered a failure as a father.
Kids who grew up with absentee fathers know this too. That no amount of money can make up for the parents deep and intimate involvement in their lives.

This mindset is what makes mothers more celebrated than fathers because despite all the money the kids are more bonded with who was available for them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being ambituous be you man or woman. But a balance is necessary for both parties. And curtailing your ambitions as a woman isn't the answer. That's bondage.
Knowing how to make the best of your time is the answer.

Who's talking about African women in particular here?
Do African women raise better kids than other races? Look at Nigeria as a case study and look at other societies and tell me how relegating yourselves to the background or curtailing your ambitions as african women has helped your country.

I still maintain it is better for the kids if both parents make time for them. Excusing fathers' absence in the name of bread winning is almost the same thing as a single mom raising her kids alone with the father paying child support.

I agree that parents needs to perform domestic roles.What I DO NOT agree is when a woman goes beyonds borders much to the detriment of the kids.Don't compare African women to to the west,they live in a free society without value for culture/traditions,and are career women who goes beyond borders yet they record high cases of kids committing suicide.I am not advocating for fathers to ignore their domestic roles,he needs to be there BUT,the wife is entitled to fill in for any loopholes by being there.If her job is too demanding,there should be a cut.My aim isn't to subjugate women,but to make them understand how to manage their roles appropriately and in a rational way.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 11:33am On Jul 14, 2014
Maybe that post wasn't self explanatory as I thought.
Life is about choices in my opinion. If I have a family and my career is getting in the way, I'll have to be very willing to give up my career for my kids and not otherwise. In that case,it is MY CHOICE and a happy one too. It won't be bondage because it is my first choice.and no you're not in bondage because you WILLINGLY CHOSE to make those choices

But if I so want my career and can't have it because I lack the support I need from my partner,then it is bondage.
It is indeed bondage for someone to live without what they want not because they chose to sacrifice it but because they were made to give it up.
That's where I'm coming from.

That said I think everyone here agrees on going for those who have the same ideology as them

All that about role reversal and having it all isn't for me right? smiley
Because I didn't insinuate any such thing.
For someone to take on a career and her home and make the best she can out of both she has to work harder/smarter than she normally would.same for a man. So yes something gives and that's not having it all.we agree on that.

Sorry I can't go to that thread now.

Agreed that a mother is more needed at the infant stage of a child's life but that's not where child raising stops. After that stage,it's both hands on deck. And all this has nothing IMO to do with bathing/ feeding chores. More like being a steady presence in the child's life.

TV01:

I was really liking this until I hit the bolded. It's plainly contradictory. As a husband and father, I reduced my "personal activity time" to be with and contribute to my family more.

I also cut the hours I was putting in at work - in many corporations working smart is fine, but you have to be seen working hard as well, moreso if you are a "minority" - I curtaied some of my personal ambitions - am I in bondage?

The myth of "have it all" or the fallacy of role "reversal" can only ever hold true for a few, and that due uncommon circumstances. They simply won't work for the vast majority.

Biblically and in most cultures, the primary rsponsibility of a couple is the well-being of their family. Moreso if there are children involved. Ab initio, getting married means there will probalby come a point at which sacrifice is involved - i.e. putting others, especially children before yourself. There are natural roles and roles that tend to come naturally. Do men give birth? Do children not instinctively turn to their mothers when in distress. Are both parents equally needed during a childs earliest years?

Biblically even men are to ensure their homes are in order before they take on duties in the church. For both men and women, the well-being of the family unit comes first and if personal ambitions - in any endeavour - have to be curtailed/sacrificed/truncated to ensure this then so be it. You are implicitly agreeing to this when you get married, so be sure to understand that fact.

As for role reversal, especially in the sense of being a bread-winner. I won't repeat myself having written on that here;
https://www.nairaland.com/1804695/whats-happening-men/8#24591430

If anyone wants to work with a model that is not scriptural, cultural or traditional, fine, but be sure both parties are clearly aware and accepting of this before marriage. Otherwise it's touching stories of "after marriage they changed....". If your career or personal ambitions are more important than your marriage, please let them know long before the "I do " stage.

Brought to you from the "Better Foundation Relationships (BeFoRe)"

TV

TV

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Harmvirus(f): 11:34am On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I was more attached to my father and grandfather as a child so, from my personal experience, I disagree.

Was I unnatural? undecided

Lol! I don't think you are 100% truthful
Buh was your mum absent?

Anyway all I'm saying is that a woman should always try to make herself availiable for her kids, career notwithstanding
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by hayorbaami: 11:34am On Jul 14, 2014
deesquarediddy: I don't really agree with this. Women(the ambitious ones) are very multi-tasking that most men wonder how they manage to cope with career and at the same time be a good home maker. If you love each other, you both help each other achieve your individual dreams. Its simple, you fill-in any area your partner in found wanting.

Lets hear your views.

https://www.nairaland.com/1810238/rate-gejs-administration-based-worldwide

As simple as the above. I do not understand why some assume every ambitious woman lacks time management and will not know how to balance the homefront. Are they trying to tell me teachers or these ministry workers raise kids better than their counterpart in the corporate world? As far as I am concerned, all hands should be on deck for a family to progress. If a woman decides to settle for less just to keep the homefront, what happens when the husband dies, gets sacked, starts misbehaving and the money flow from her less ambitious job isn't enough to cater for every member of the family anymore?

Should a woman who is a nurse that would definitely run afternoon and night shifts give up her job and passion cos homefront will suffer? Or a female doctor who's always on call? These people with(or sometimes without) the help of their husbands still train good children because they manage their time and multitask effectively even if it is at the detriment of their social lives.

To each is own, but we have stop this misleading assumption that every ambitious woman will fail in her home. These women are seen in all sectors in today's world having the best of both(career and family).

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 14, 2014
Harmvirus:

Lol! I don't think you are 100% truthful
Buh was your mum absent?

You do NOT have to believe me, I know that the two men were closer to me than anyone else when I was a child. It gives me a lot of strength up to this day. They are very much responsible for my success.

My mother was NOT absent and I loved her too but I was closer to my father and my grandfather and it was cool cool

My father taught me to love books, be interested in politics, to always try to be the best in anything and to enjoy unhealthy food grin

My grandpa would cuddle me a lot and teach me to take care of the weak and of cars, he even let me sit on his lap and steer a car, which explains why I am the best female driver in the world now tongue

I could go on and on.

Both men were working and my mum and granny were working too. They shared all responsibilites. ALL.

I remember grandpa coming home and taking care of the garbage every day. He would not rest his lazy butt after work, he saw the work around the house and helped grandma.

This is how I grew up. Not everything was perfect but I am very greatful.

Anyway all I'm saying is that a woman should always try to make herself availiable for her kids, career notwithstanding

I agree, so should fathers. wink

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Harmvirus(f): 11:42am On Jul 14, 2014
teeo:

True that but unnecessary civilization and the drive for feminism has pushed women away from the home front which should be their primary duty. Men are to be bread winners working hard to put food and good resources on the table. Am totally in support of ambitious women but I don't think I would want my wife to sacrifice the development of our children for an unneeded achievements.
If after all the achievements your child becomes wayward and ruins your name, the achievement amounts to nothing, it becomes total rubbish.

Well said
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by bukatyne(f): 11:42am On Jul 14, 2014
Tannie: I want to be successful, have my own money, contribute my quota to my family but not at the expense of my family. I don't have to work 6-9 to be successful, I can work 7-4 and still be successful. I want to be involve in my children's life, attend sch parties, have a heart to heart talk with them, create an everlasting bond with them and help them in difficult times, that's why I'm their mother.

And what job is 6 - 9 or do you mean 9 - 6/ 9 - 5

Depending on logistics, when you are working a 7 - 4 job, you might not be able to dress your kids up for school
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 14, 2014
teeo:

I also disagree with you. Women are pivotal in the development of children and the family. I for one am a perfect example.
If a man loses his wife to death most times he remarries because he doesn't naturally have the capacity to take full care of children, am not saying some men don't do it but it's rare.
But most women have the capacity to train children without the support of a man and they become successful men and women in future.
Women have to first and foremost make that sacrifice, God is not a fool there is a reason why it's the woman who has the womb. Nurturing a child doesn't end in the belly.
Epic!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Ajekpakororo: 11:45am On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I agree with you but I think that fathers are equally important and MUST try their best to balance work and family life as much as mothers. This is an appreciation of all fathers from my side and a necessity in my view.

The fact that life is tough in Nigeria is the more reason for women to help their husbands.

A woman who works does NOT ONLY help her family, she helps the country as a whole.

Women work → earn money → spend more money → demand for more goods and services → create more jobs

This does not mean, a family cannot choose to have a traditional division of labour. I am very much pro-choice and freedom but no choice shuld be discriminated against.

Even if Germany and Nigeria are very different, it was a good example to show that a man who takes on different roles than solely providing financially is still a man and can be even a better man.

Germany is the best example of how refusing to take on traditional roles does not make anyone be less of a man.

#teamManuelNeuerisdamnhot tongue

Lol.
A man who performs kitchen roles is an added advantage.IMO,he has gone beyond borders to create a balance especially if his job description is demanding.

Abeg where DailyNews
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Pastis: 11:45am On Jul 14, 2014
Some times the problem begins when we refuse to accept that child raising is an equal responsibility as our jobs. I find it unreasonable to hear anyone say "my job does not give me time for the kids" it's a lame excuse. Truth is, you didn't factor your family as responsibility enough, so negotiate a job that would give you time for the children, while on that, keep developing capacity until the children can do without ur constant presence, then launch out. The westerners understands this and some families would rather not have kids if they are not ready make career sacrifices.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 14, 2014
Ajekpakororo:

Lol.
A man who performs kitchen roles is an added advantage.IMO,he has gone beyond borders to create a balance especially if his job description is demanding.

Abeg where DailyNews

A man who performs kitchen roles is very normal in developed societies.

And topics such as this were discussed there at least 50 years ago. Why does Africa have to always be behind at least half a century? undecided

Stay away with DailyNews who uses tabloids to prove his points or he will end up like Coogarlicious. tongue

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 11:51am On Jul 14, 2014
Could not have said it better.
Manage your time well as a husband or wife and make time for your family because they are the number one.
Don't give up your dreams and aspirations when you know you're incomplete without them.
hayorbaami:

As simple as the above. I do not understand why some assume every ambitious woman lacks time management and will not know how to balance the homefront. Are they trying to tell me teachers or these ministry workers raise kids better than their counterpart in the corporate world? As far as I am concerned, all hands should be on deck for a family to progress. If a woman decides to settle for less just to keep the homefront, what happens when the husband dies, gets sacked, starts misbehaving and the money flow from her less ambitious job isn't enough to cater for every member of the family anymore?

Should a woman who is a nurse that would definitely run afternoon and night shifts give up her job and passion cos homefront will suffer? Or a female doctor who's always on call? These people with(or sometimes without) the help of their husbands still train good children because they manage their time and multitask effectively even if it is at the detriment of their social lives.

To each is own, but we have stop this misleading assumption that every ambitious woman will fail in her home. These women are seen in all sectors in today's world having the best of both(career and family).
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Harmvirus(f): 11:56am On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You do NOT have to believe me, I know that the two men were closer to me than anyone else when I was a child. It gives me a lot of strength up to this day. They are very much responsible for my success.

My mother was NOT absent and I loved her too but I was closer to my father and my grandfather and it was cool cool

My father taught me to love books, be interested in politics, to always try to be the best in anything and to enjoy unhealthy food grin

My grandpa would cuddle me a lot and teach me to take care of the weak and of cars, he even let me sit on his lap and steer a car, which explains why I am the best female driver in the world now tongue

I could go on and on.

Both men were working and my mum and granny were working too. They shared all responsibilites. ALL.

I remember grandpa coming home and taking care of the garbage every day. He would not rest his lazy butt after work, he saw the work around the house and helped grandma.

This is how I grew up. Not everything was perfect but I am very greatful.

I agree, so should fathers. wink

Wow! quite an interesting experience.
Yea, both parties have their parts to play but I still believe the mums shouldn't neglect their kids..to each his own cool
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 14, 2014
Harmvirus:

Wow! quite an interesting experience.
Yea, both parties have their parts to play but I still believe the mums shouldn't neglect their kids..to each his own cool

Should fathers neglect their children?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by babystathopoulos: 12:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
When I was young I used to wish men do menstrate or have breast to breastfeed cos of the way men do deny pregnacies, thanks to DNA test now.
Let set aside religion here, nature makes the woman menstruate, have womb, and have breast to feed the baby after delivered. I can logically say the woman has the number priority to raise the children while the men is to assist.
Also nature makes men stronger with little additional natural load(except their machine). They were built to labour and provide for the family while the woman assist.
Inasmuch I advocate for men to give women the respect they deserve, but women should stop overemphasizing equality with men in all aspect.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by cococandy(f): 12:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
bukatyne: Very funny OP:

What happens when the wife becomes more ambitious yers after marriage?

The key is not finding a less ambitious wife; it is finding a woman with the same values.

Also, one's path does not equal ambitiousness or lack of; I heard of a teacher who never married because he always wanted to be there for his students and saw marriage as a hindrance (wierd considering the fact that teaching is a go to profession for married women due to time. Let us not go into the reason why most teachers are frustrated and add absolutely no values to the pupils) ; while I was serving, I organized night classes when I felt the day time was not enough.

There are also women in seemingly ambitious prfessions who are just there by chance.

Don't also confuse hours spent with ambition; a cleaner who lives at Oshod and works at V/I will spend more time at work (transport included) than a bank mgr who lives at Lekki and works at V/I.

Training a child is not the hours spent but the quality of the time spent.

And lastly, it is the duty of both parents to build a home and train their kids.

P.S.: What class would late Dora Akunyili fall into?
splendid

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by BizBloke(m): 12:22pm On Jul 14, 2014
damiso:

Great points. Demanding careeer/ambitions are subjective. An entrepreneur might have a demanding career but might have the flexibility of time to spend with the family as opposed to a 9 to 5 person. A GP in a GP surgery is also a doctor but probably has more time than a Consultant in a large hospital.Like some one else said definitely not black and white.

Exactly, Damiso.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by BizBloke(m): 12:26pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I love this comment.

I only disagree with the bold because I think that fathers are equally IMPORTANT for the success of the family as a whole and equally IMPORTANT for their children and of course the wife. Saying that mothers are more important is discriminating against fathers. In my view.

That said, this is a beautiful comment.

This should be one of the reasons why most children are closer to their mothers than their fathers. I'll feel bad and 'jealous' if the gap is huge. Kinda sucks!
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Odunharry(m): 12:38pm On Jul 14, 2014
Tannie: I want to be successful, have my own money, contribute my quota to my family but not at the expense of my family. I don't have to work 6-9 to be successful, I can work 7-4 and still be successful. I want to be involve in my children's life, attend sch parties, have a heart to heart talk with them, create an everlasting bond with them and help them in difficult times, that's why I'm their mother.
i love this
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Odunharry(m): 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2014
Ajekpakororo:

And by doing that,you are killing two birds with a stone.Building a good society,and bringing in well nurtured minds to live in it.Kudos.
i dy tell u...i love her mindset

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by DukeNija(m): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
remsonik: I would ve a hard time settling with such a man cos I and my siblings are raised to be very ambitious and there were no barriers or limitations cos I am a girl. My dad was doing his private business while my mum was in the civil service. My mom rose to the top and she retired and my dad kept pushing her to achieve more,get a doctorate degree and rise to the pinnacle of her career.
If the man is insecured that's when he starts feeling his wife is over ambitious. A woman doesn't need to abandon or limit her dreams cos of a man. If she indeed is lazy even limiting her dreams won't make the home any better.
We didn't ve maids while growing up but my mom was a homemaker and my dad assisted her too.
My parents have been married for close to 40 years.

The point is not that Women shouldn't be successful and strive to become the best they can possibly be in their careers, rather, being overly ambitious at the detriment of the family is wrong. There should be a balance, and if it cant be achieved, there will be a void. And its not because of "a man", its because of the family. Marriage takes away the man, woman and kids and replaces them with family. Besides that man is your husband, and not some random bloke. Women who have a hard time putting the family first will most likely not enjoy ultimate fulfilment.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 14, 2014
BizBloke:

This should be one of the reasons why most children are closer to their mothers than their fathers. I'll feel bad and 'jealous' if the gap is huge. Kinda sucks!

I think, you are right. smiley
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by jhidey08(m): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What is my primary responsibility?
r u asking me? U dunno ur primary responsibility as a woman?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Harmvirus(f): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Should fathers neglect their children?

No, fathers should also be there for their kids but a woman shouldn't abandon her primary role as a mother

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by AriDsexy(f): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I also think you do. tongue .

*runs away*
I liked ds part were u ran away....made me laugh
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 14, 2014
Harmvirus:

No, fathers should also be there for their kids but a woman shouldn't abandon her primary role as a mother

Is being a father a secondary role?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 14, 2014
jhidey08: r u asking me? U dunno ur primary responsibility as a woman?

I do but I am curious what it is according to you.

I am waiting for your answer. wink
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 1:11pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

What is your idea role for a father and a mother?

What are the major responsibilities for mothers
What are the major responsibilities for fathers?

Maybe people are mixing up your point of view because you haven't been clear with them on what should be "proper" in your view?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by jhidey08(m): 1:12pm On Jul 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

since u knw ur responsibilities as a woman do u think u can mix those two tins nd av a "pass mark" in dem? Wait first, let's get dis ryt first, wot's ur definition of a demanding career? 4rm which hours of d day till when do such women work? Gimme an example of such work?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by babystathopoulos: 1:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
We all need to be realistic with life as it is not as we have in our imaginations. Don't be decieve that you can have it all(especially women) when you have a demanding career and the same time run a successful home. There is nothing like "Balancing", body nor be firewood. Is either the husband or the kids or both are paying the price. When the man don't complain is because he is a good cheat.
My advice for men is; don't expect any woman to change or suppress her career because of you. Chose a woman that fits into your future plan.
My advice to women; is a good thing to have a dream and pursue and get to the highest point. But if you want to be overambitious to try and avoid the marriage road. Marriage is not for everyone.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by bukatyne(f): 1:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
cococandy: splendid

Thanks

How are you and bros wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

White Girl, Pregnant To Married Nigerian Man / Deleted Post / Things You Did In The Kitchen As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.