Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,678 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs (13116 Views)

Caution Fayose - APC To Yoruba Monarchs / "How I Shared N260million From Dasuki" - PDP Chieftain Tony Anenih / Yoruba Monarchs Did Not Deceive Jonathan – PDP Replies Okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Ayed44: 9:44am On Sep 24, 2014
Oba of Lagos, His Royal Highness Rilwan Akiolu, has opened up on the role he played in the alleged bribery of some Yoruba monarchs by late Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, to frustrate the struggle against the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election believed to have been won by late business mogul, Chief MKO Abiola.

The monarch, who was the Lagos State Police Commissioner at the time, said that with the exception of one or two traditional rulers, other prominent Yoruba Obas collected bribe from the Abacha administration, declaring that he personally shared the money to the monarchs.

The monarch said the traditional rulers collected the bribe from Abacha to assist the late Head of State to remain in office following the relentless protests that trailed his coming to power.

He hinted that he has the names of the monarchs and the role they played, especially the Yoruba traditional rulers and vowed to expose them after the 2015 general elections.

Oba Akiolu stated this on Sunday in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State during the visit of the Emir of Kano and former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Muhammed Sanusi II to the Awujale and Paramount Ruler of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona at his palace.

He was part of Emir Sanusi’s entourage to Ijebu-Ode after the latter had visited him at his Iga Idunganran Palace in Lagos on Saturday.

Delivering his speech at the palace, Oba Akiolu disclosed that he had spoken with President Goodluck Jonathan to forgive and forget the errors that Mallam Sanusi might have committed as CBN governor, adding that all humans are prone to errors.

He said: “The Awujale is not part of them (corrupt monarchs), when the time comes, I am going to expose those monarchs who were given bribes in order to aid the late Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha to remain in power.

“I was a Commissioner of Police then in Lagos; I was at the meeting where money was being shared to the monarchs; I know those that collected money. I was given the share of Awujale to send it across to him, but I told them, right there that he will never collect the money and truly, when he was approached, he rejected it.

“There are some monarchs that I personally gave their own share and they collected it from me. I have their names and when the time comes, I will expose them. I am not afraid of anybody, they are corrupt and those are some of the bad eggs in the traditional institution. These are the people, you (Emir of Kano) should be very careful of associating with”, Oba Akiolu stated.

He advised the Emir not to look down on his subjects, as they were the main source of his traditional power.

It will be recalled that former Lagos State Governor and National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Alhaji Bola Tinubu had during the 80th birthday of the Awujale last May took a swipe at Yoruba Obas saying that most of them soiled their hands during Abacha’s regime.

Earlier in his welcome address, Oba Adetona applauded the contributions of the Emir to the economy of this country when he was the governor at the apex bank.

Among dignitaries at the palace to join the monarch to receive his guests were the former governor of the state, who is also the Aremo of Ijebuland, Chief Olusegun Osoba, Senator Adegbenga Kaka, the three state commissioners from Ijebu Ode: Otunba Bimbo Ashiru (Commerce and Industry), Adebayo Fari  (Forestry) and Olugbenga Otenuga (Physical and Urban Planning).

Also present were members of the state Council of Obas and Ijebu chiefs, religious leaders, the Hausa community in Ijebuland.

Speaking on behalf of Governor Ibikunle Amosun, Bimbo Ashiru congratulated the two distinguished Nigerians, who, he described as shinning lights in the traditional institution in the country.

Amosun charged the monarchs to continue to support the government in their various domains, adding that, being the custodians of both the traditional and culture of the people, the onus lies on them to play very good advisory roles to all tiers government.

Mallam Sanusi explained that he decided to visit the two Obas in the South West because they were the only ones who identified with him during his coronation as the new Emir of Kano, adding that they were his adopted fathers http://idreamzmedia.com/oba-of-lagos-bombshell-i-shared-abachas-bribe-to-yoruba-monarchs/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by prodigy22: 9:48am On Sep 24, 2014
And they say na ibo lyk moni pass undecided

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by echobee(f): 10:04am On Sep 24, 2014
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by bright8(m): 10:10am On Sep 24, 2014
Same set of people Babangida bribed to annul Abiola’s election and eventually kill him. Traditional rulers in Nigeria are only after their pockets and stomachs. Ancestors dey dull. They should start killing them already starting with that 1diot in my home town.

6 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by seunmsg(m): 10:15am On Sep 24, 2014
Akinolu should say whatever he wants to say now or shut the fvck up. How is he even different from the oba's he's abusing? He has been collecting huge bribes from prominent lagos state politicians, government officials and civil servant. So, on what moral ground is he now pontificating on?

15 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by TonySpike: 10:17am On Sep 24, 2014
What kind of useless source is this? This information is unverified until a mainstream media reports it...

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Ayus34(m): 10:24am On Sep 24, 2014
it is now opened to the world at large that Tinubu was right when he accused them of corruption. ..tinubu might not be a saint but till today he remained a trusted leader from Yoruba and I'm proud of him to a point. ..he can easily decamp to the ruling party and this will give him all the privilege to loot the more without any challenge and by then his major enemies we chant his name and shower more enconium,just like sheriff but he believed in his cause till today as an opposition, and people decamped meet him not otherwise.

13 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by aderonila18: 10:25am On Sep 24, 2014
Abeg what type of source is that? Mods pls close this thread if the OP doesn't have a better source

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by ola6: 10:26am On Sep 24, 2014
Can we see how this FOO.LISH man that calls himself akiolu is disgracing us just to defend his master's statement Tinubu ole when he said all our obas are useless.

Can Yorubas and most especially Lagosians see what happens when you put a politician as an oba. This useless oba must be removed! The throne rightfully belongs to the Balogun family but Tinubu and his fellow foo.ls forcefully installed the sanile man. I am a full blooded lagosian and this man is not my oba.

For you all to know, Tinubu did the same thing in Elegushi Lekki. He installed the younger brother as against Aremu (next in line) because the younger brother was once his pa forcing Aremu to go in exile.

The evils Tinubu and APC planted in Lagos will surely come back to hunt them. Oba ode!

NB: shocking fellow yorubas like Gbawe and ekoile/aresa will defending this even though they know the tradition. Issokay!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 24, 2014
Omo see gobe.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by alentyno: 10:33am On Sep 24, 2014
*sighs* another thread with potential tribal tirade. I hope the e-dogs won't sniff upon this thread
Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Jmain: 10:40am On Sep 24, 2014
I don't want to believe the Oba of Lagos will be as reckless as this . . .shocked

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by bestman09(m): 10:49am On Sep 24, 2014
Delivering his speech at the palace, Oba Akiolu disclosed that he had spoken with President Goodluck Jonathan to forgive and forget the errors that Mallam Sanusi might have committed as CBN governor, adding that all humans are prone to errors.

So SLS has admitted his recklessness?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by lilprinze: 10:50am On Sep 24, 2014
I reserve my comments lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Firefire(m): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2014
ola6: Can we see how this FOO.LISH man that calls himself akiolu is disgracing us just to defend his master's statement Tinubu ole when he said all our obas are useless.

Can Yorubas and most especially Lagosians see what happens when you put a politician as an oba. This useless oba must be removed! The throne rightfully belongs to the Balogun family but Tinubu and his fellow foo.ls forcefully installed the sanile man. I am a full blooded lagosian and this man is not my oba.

For you all to know, Tinubu did the same thing in Elegushi Lekki. He installed the younger brother as against Aremu (next in line) because the younger brother was once his pa forcing Aremu to go in exile.

The evils Tinubu and APC planted in Lagos will surely come back to hunt them. Oba ode!

NB: shocking fellow yorubas like Gbawe and ekoile/aresa will defending this even though they know the tradition. Issokay!

Only time shall tell...

The gods will strike at the appointed time. angry

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by onyeokwu: 10:59am On Sep 24, 2014
yolobas selling themselves and collecting bribery from their slave master almajiri of the mohammedian emirate of the north since 700BC grin grin grin cool

28 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by talktimi(m): 11:00am On Sep 24, 2014
The GIVER and taker of bribes are both guilty, this former police commissioner definitely got his own share of the booty while running his delivery errands to the Obas back then so silence should have been his watchword for integrity's sake...

undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

11 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Firefire(m): 11:02am On Sep 24, 2014
Jmain: I don't want to believe the Oba of Lagos will be as reckless as this . . .shocked

Akiolu political alliance of allegiance to Tinubu, the gods are waiting to strike...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 24, 2014
“I was a Commissioner of Police then in Lagos; I was at the meeting where money was being shared to the monarchs; I know those that collected money. I was given the share of Awujale to send it across to him, but I told them, right there that he will never collect the money and truly, when he was approached, he rejected it.

“There are some monarchs that I personally gave their own share and they collected it from me. I have their names and when the time comes, I will expose them. I am not afraid of anybody, they are corrupt and those are some of the bad eggs in the traditional institution. These are the people, you (Emir of Kano) should be very careful of associating with”, Oba Akiolu stated.
HRM Rilwan Akiolu is a DISGRACE to the Police Profession(Worldwide), the Royal Stool and to every institution. He should be deposed as the Monarch immediately and be prosecuted in accordance to the law.
SPITS heavily on him

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Jmain: 11:05am On Sep 24, 2014
Firefire:

Akiolu political alliance of allegiance to Tinubu, the gods are waiting to strike...

Na real wa!! embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 24, 2014
bestman09:

So SLS has admitted his recklessness?
I also asked myself the same question

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Trailblazer1(m): 11:08am On Sep 24, 2014
Very interesting stuff y'all.

Mind Blowing!!!!!

Have a history teacher explain this if they can.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.

John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.

John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost a child while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.

Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.

Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.

Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.

Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named "Ford."

Kennedy was shot in a car called "Lincoln" made by "Ford."

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And here's the "kicker":

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland.

A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with Marilyn Monroe.

AND...................:

Lincoln was shot in a theater and the assassin ran to a warehouse...

Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and the assassin ran to a theater...
I saw this had to share just in case anyone did not know. If you find this interesting, show some love!

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 24, 2014
Ayus34: it is now opened to the world at large that Tinubu was right when he accused them of corruption. ..tinubu might not be a saint but till today he remained a trusted leader from Yoruba and I'm proud of him to a point. ..he can easily decamp to the ruling party and this will give him all the privilege to loot the more without any challenge and by then his major enemies we chant his name and shower more enconium,just like sheriff but he believed in his cause till today as an opposition, and people decamped meet him not otherwise.
Tinubu is not perfect but he is the best yoruba Administrator after Awo

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Jmain: 11:16am On Sep 24, 2014
talktimi: The GIVER and taker of bribes are both guilty, this former police commissioner definitely got his own share of the booty while running his delivery errands to the Obas back then so silence should have been his watchword for integrity's sake...

undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

The man eff up no be small . . . Him use him mouth clear all seeming doubt about his dubious character. I now believe all those rumors flying about his land grabbing stunts with Tinubu . . . .

The man fall my hand abeg . . .

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by iamodenigbo1(m): 11:20am On Sep 24, 2014
just reading,I am not a tribalist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by aryzgreat: 11:31am On Sep 24, 2014
When al mustapha testified in court that Yoruba obas and elders collected money to betray mko, they called him names, now an oba that shared the money has confirmed same.

Can we now see that blood money exchanged hands betraying their son just like Joseph in d Bible.

Fowl nyash don open as breeze blow.

15 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by iykak47: 11:32am On Sep 24, 2014
So truly Yoruba Obas sold their illustrious son MKO Abiola to Abacha, their children on Nairaland still have the effrontery of accusing Igbos of liking money so much. Yes, you heard it from the horse's mouth the Oba of Lagos, because of money Yoruba Obas sold MKO. It would be interesting to know how much Abiola cost. Tufiakwa! Aru.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Jesusloveyou: 11:38am On Sep 24, 2014
D crime is comitted in abacha time and abacha regime form into pdp,in summary.Oba Akiolu is corrupt,he is pdp,he is abacha boy,and abacha is pdp family,so pdp is corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by aryzgreat: 11:41am On Sep 24, 2014
Al-Mustapha’s 2nd Bombshell: Ige, Adesanya Scuttled Abiola’s Mandate
August 3, 2011 • By
ShareTweet+ 1Mail
In continuation of his defence this morning at a Lagos High Court, Southwest Nigeria, Major Hamzat Al-Mustapha, the former Chief Security Officer to the then Head of State, the late General Sani Abacha, has dropped another bombshell.

Major Hamzat Al-Mustapha

On Monday, he accused Yoruba leaders of collecting money to scuttle the mandate of Chief MKO Abiola but stopped short of mentioning their names.

Today, he lifted the veil, alleging that the late Chief Bola Ige and Pa Abraham Adesanya were among the dignitaries from the southwest who kept visiting Aso Rock after the death of Abacha. Both Ige and Adesanya died years ago.

He claimed Chief Ige was the one liaising with the Presidency earlier to either release Abiola or restore his stolen mandate. But he was the one used later to scuttle the mandate.

Al-Mustapha said he has the graphic details of how some dignitaries visited Aso Rock after the death of Abiola. One of them was Pa Adesanya, who after the death of Abacha, was angry.

He said Pa Adesanya granted interview to pressmen at the Villa.

However, he said the same dignitaries who were in Aso Rock angry were very happy when they were leaving. This event, he said, were recorded by both the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA and his camera.

As the CSO at the Aso Rock when Abacha died and General Oladipo Diya, one-time second in-command to Abacha was in detention for coup plotting, he had the responsibility of handing over to the incoming CSO.

It was at that time he made the photocopy of a letter written by the National Security Adviser, endorsed by General Abdulsalami Abubakar, the then Head of State, to the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria to withdraw $200 million, 75 million pounds and N500 million.

These monies were shared to so many people, according to Al-Mustapha.

He added that a large sum of money was also shared to some people, but he did not mention the recipients of the money.

His lawyer, Olalekan Ojo, tendered a copy of the letter. But the prosecutor, Olabisi Odugbesan objected to the admissibility of the letter.

He said it was a photostat copy. Ojo said the letter was important because the documents were weighty.

The former CSO added that the elder brother of the former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Ibrahim Coomasie (whose name he did not mention) brought his own copy of the letter from the CBN.

He said the former IG’s brother was poisoned and killed when they realised that he was about to release the letter to the press for publication.

Part of the letter was read in the open court by Al-Mustapha. The letter requested the money for the purpose of offsetting the presidential fleet, estacode for Nigerians in Liberia and Sierra Leone and outstanding medical bills.

He said when Abdulsalami took over, government had 16 national agenda, top on the agenda was to release Abiola, put in place, a short transition programme whereby Abiola will be given his mandate after a period of time.

He said, thereafter, Abdulsalami changed the programme and many people were brought to Aso Rock to share money. Julius Berger, the company in charge of security maintenance building was moved to Minna, Niger State to construct a house with underground tunnel for Abdulsalami.

Thereafter, all bullion vans that used to bring money from the CBN to Aso rock now moved money to the home of Abdulsalami in Minna. And when Abdulsalami knew he had these things on record both in audio and video tapes, he transferred him. He said when his house was searched, his properties were removed.

He said up till now, he has made several appeals, especially when he appeared before the Oputa Panel for all the documents and his properties to be released, all to no avail.

He also appealed that the inventory of what was taken from his house be released. Even in his house, he said shoes were removed because they believed his shoes could contain tape recorders.

Al-Mustapha said these are the reasons why Gen. Abu

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by seunmsg(m): 11:45am On Sep 24, 2014
barcanista: Tinubu is not perfect but he is the best yoruba Administrator after Awo

Fashola is a far better administrator than Tinubu. Tinubu is just a better/smarter politician that knows how to maximise opportunities when they arise.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by ola6: 11:46am On Sep 24, 2014
Jesusloveyou: Oba Akiolu is corrupt,he is abacha boy,and abacha is pdp family,so pdp is corrupt.

Ode ni e! Your oba and Tinubu ole are now political liabilities in the SW. You better fight for your salary because in the next 6 months you'll be out of work when PDP takes over Lagos. The government properties wrongfully sold to Tinubuole will be returned to LASG and your foolish oba will be removed.

Bloody sellouts.

Btw, notice your Aregberascal hasn't been talking. ..muhehehe...tell him to start parking his load.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Lagos’ Bombshell: I Shared Abacha’s Bribe To Yoruba Monarchs by Jmain: 11:46am On Sep 24, 2014
Jesusloveyou: Oba Akiolu is corrupt,he is APC,he is Tinubu boy,and Tinubu is APC family,so APC is corrupt.

Properly fixed to mirror the times . . .

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

NASS Snubs Southern Governors, Excludes State Police From 68 Amendments / Second Niger Bridge Will Be Ready In 2022 - FG / PDP Will Pardon Amaechi, Wamakko If They Apologise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.