Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? (20011 Views)

Another Proof That The New Testament Is Not The Word Of God / A Lot Of People Say The New Testament Is Fake / Yisraylite, How Come You Believe Dat D New Testament Is Fake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
I always believed that God is perfect - almighty and all knowing, and He neither lies nor errs. He is perfect and his word is true and final. But I struggled for a long time with some scriptures in the old Testament, especially ones that seem to portray God's ethical failings and the sickening gory details of some of the rites and rituals. The new Testament, though, seem to fix a lot of these initial issues.

But my question is if God is perfect, why do we need two testaments - one to fix fulfill the other?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 3:59pm On Sep 28, 2014
I believe it was made to PERFECT the old testament. And there are no gory acts as such in d old testament. You made it sound as though human sacrifices were made. Just so there wud be no more 'gOry' acts, Jesus gave himself up for it. kiss

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by lomprico(m): 4:03pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: I believe it was made to PERFECT the old testament. And there are no gory acts as such in d old testament. You made it sound as though human sacrifices were made. Just so there wud be no more 'gOry' acts, Jesus gave himself up for it. kiss
No gory stuff U think?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 4:09pm On Sep 28, 2014
lomprico:
No gory stuff U think?
naaa. U think there are? An example then
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: I believe it was made to PERFECT the old testament . And there are no gory acts as such in d old testament. You made it sound as though human sacrifices were made. Just so there wud be no more 'gOry' acts, Jesus gave himself up for it. kiss

Perfect:
adjective
Fitting its definition precisely.
Having all of its parts in harmony with a common purpose .
Thoroughly skilled or talented.
Excellent and delightful in all respects.
grammar of a tense or verb form Representing a completed action.

♦ (fitting its definition precisely) accurate, flawless
♦ (thoroughly skilled or talented) expert, proficient

antonyms
♦ flawed

verb
(transitive) To make perfect; to improve or hone.
(legal) To take an action, usually the filing of a document in the correct venue, that secures a legal right.
synonyms
♦ (to make perfect) enhance, hone, improve, optimize

Gory:
adjective (comparative gorier, superlative goriest)
covered with blood, very bloody
unpleasant

sheunfemix: I believe it was made to PERFECT the old testament.

If something is already perfect, it's perfect. Needing no fix, whatever. Is the OT perfect or not?

2 Likes

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: naaa. U think there are? An example then
Have you ever really read Leviticus?

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Tallesty1(m): 4:35pm On Sep 28, 2014
lipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealed
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by lomprico(m): 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: naaa. U think there are? An example then
Wat of d dude dat was struck down dead for trying to prevent d ark of covenant from falling?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
Tallesty1: lipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealed
Ohhhhh angry Tallesty1 naaaaaaww. Why do you almost always reply my posts with that? I value your contribution and you just might help strengthen the faith of some brother/sister having the same issue.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by MizMyColi(f): 4:57pm On Sep 28, 2014
*Sprinkles Annointing oyel all over the thread*

*looks up and down, speaks gibberish with some unseen entities, then passes a prophetic judgement.*

Hey! undecided

ALL ye commenters on this thread!
Repent!

Yes, I say, repent!

Or be burned to death like the people of sodom and gorimokpo cheesy

Or be mauled to death by bears like those children.

Or worse still, the God of most parts of the old testament may kee you! angry

Except, He's in a good mood this evening.

You have been warned!

Especially you Xcapist sad

Stop asking questions!

Just repent and Obey!

sad angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 5:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
cheesy I really knw the meaning of 'gory' in my option all the bloody ish in leviticus isn't so ugly. And honestly I try not to question God I believe the NT is a easier way of life which God gave to us christians and He knew why He gave the OT to the people of old. But according to what I have read in d bible, the people in the OT are really strong willed and can be easily swayed into idolatry. So the OT was perfect for them as the NT is for us. One can therefore not say the OT wasn't perfect
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
MizMyColi: *Sprinkles Annointing oyel all over the thread*

*looks up and down, speaks gibeerish with some unseen entities, then passes a prophetic judgement.*

ALL ye commenters on this thread!
Repent!

Yes, I say, repent!

Or be burned to death like the people of sodom and gorimokpo cheesy

Or be mauled to death by bears like those children.

Or worse still, the God of most parts of the old testament may kee you! angry

Except, He's in a good mood this evening.

You have been warned!

Especially you Xcapist sad

Stop asking questions!

Just repent and Obey!

sad angry

LWKMD!! u ba??!! That was hilarious!
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: cheesy I really knw the meaning of 'gory' in my option all the bloody ish in leviticus isn't so ugly. And honestly I try not to question God I believe the NT is a easier way of life which God gave to us christians and He knew why He gave the OT to the people of old. But according to what I have read in d bible, the people in the OT are really strong willed and can be easily swayed into idolatry. So the OT was perfect for them as the NT is for us. One can therefore not say the OT wasn't perfect

Hahaha, I've also tried to see it that way, but since people and their cultures and accompanying behaviours have been changing since time immemorial, should we expect another testament? A modern testament of sorts, since some of the NT still isn't exactly perfect or well suited for today's modern world?

Is it wrong to ask questions? Does it offend God?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 5:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
lomprico:
Wat of d dude dat was struck down dead for trying to prevent d ark of covenant from falling?
and u call that gory? cheesy
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by lomprico(m): 5:07pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: and u call that gory? cheesy
Wat will u call it?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by nnofaith: 5:17pm On Sep 28, 2014
I think the Amalekites will consider the old testament gory. Oh wait they are now extinct!
i wonder why?

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2014
Xcapist:

Hahaha, I've also tried to see it that way, but since people and their cultures and accompanying behaviours have been changing since time immemorial, should we expect another testament? A modern testament of sorts, since some of the NT still isn't exactly perfect or well suited for today's modern world?

Guy ur questions are funny. It is said that Christ made the ultimate sacrifice. That's the height of it. And as it is, things are going 'backwards' as it was in d old and we accept it as civilisation, modernity. ChriSt paid it all already. No matter how 'modern' things get the scripture is there for all situations.
Xcapist: Is it wrong to ask questions? Does it offend God?
I dnt think its wrong to ask questions. But if u are inquisitive cos u want 2 look very knowledgeable wise then its wrong. kiss

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix:
Guy ur questions are funny. It is said that Christ made the ultimate sacrifice. That's the height of it. And as it is, things are going 'backwards' as it was in d old and we accept it as civilisation, modernity. ChriSt paid it all already. No matter how 'modern' things get the scripture is there for all situations.
I dnt think its wrong to ask questions. But if u are inquisitive cos u want 2 look very knowledgeable wise then its wrong. kiss

Awwwn, I got a kiss, how sweet!!! Here's one for you too kiss

But what if the questions begin to or actually topples your faith and you want to give that faith you once held so dear one more benefit-of-doubt chance? What if by voicing out some of the difficulties you face and having them tackled you could help another person find his way, either into the faith, or out of it.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
nnofaith: I think the Amalekites will consider the old testament gory. Oh wait they are now extinct!
i wonder why?

Hmmm... I wonder what happened to them too, probably got hit by a meteorite shower like "Sodom and gorimokpo..."
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by MizMyColi(f): 5:52pm On Sep 28, 2014
Xcapist:

Hmmm... I wonder what happened to them too, probably got hit by a meteorite shower like "Sodom and gorimokpo..."
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by pesty100(m): 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
Everything in the storybook is too dynamics, one thing is right today and wrong tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: Everything in the storybook is too dynamics, one thing is right today and wrong tomorrow.

Yeahhhh, like God was okay with Polygamous king David, even calling him a man after his own heart, but tryam in my church today, you'll definitely be kicked out. Not fair. :-P
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 6:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
Xcapist:

Awwwn, I got a kiss, how sweet!!! Here's one for you too kiss

But what if the questions begin to or actually topples your faith and you want to give that faith you once held so dear one more benefit-of-doubt chance? What if by voicing out some of the difficulties you face and having them tackled you could help another person find his way, either into the faith, or out of it.
all these wey u talk na end time things cheesy But if ur faith is shaking u sud knw that it was declared in d bible that these things will happen. Ur love will wax cold and u won't be sure whether or not to believe in d existence of God anymore because pple and the haPpenings around u will justify things for u. I believe that's what will happen after the coming of christ. People will find reasons for it and d devil will lure the hearts of many into taking the mark of the beast. Just as it seem normal now in d sight of many that being gay is okay so will it be then. No matter what shakes ur faith u have to be determined about it with the help of the Holy spirit. Ask all d questions u want but always sort the spirit out to be the master and all knowing teacher, and when he says "give it a rest" give it a rest. I love this saying "Semper Fidelis!" kiss

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 28, 2014
sheunfemix: all these wey u talk na end time things cheesy But if ur faith is shaking u sud knw that it was declared in d bible that these things will happen. Ur love will wax cold and u won't be sure whether or not to believe in d existence of God anymore because pple and the haPpenings around u will justify things for u. I believe that's what will happen after the coming of christ. People will find reasons for it and d devil will lure the hearts of many into taking the mark of the beast. Just as it seem normal now in d sight of many that being gay is okay so will it be then. No matter what shakes ur faith u have to be determined about it with the help of the Holy spirit. Ask all d questions u want but always sort the spirit out to be the master and all knowing teacher, and when he says "give it a rest" give it a rest. I love this saying "Semper Fidelis!" kiss

Thanks for this. kiss you've entered into the belly of faith where reason can't reach you. Congrats!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 9:37pm On Sep 28, 2014
Xcapist: I always believed that God is perfect - almighty and all knowing, and He neither lies nor errs. He is perfect and his word is true and final. But I struggled for a long time with some scriptures in the old Testament, especially ones that seem to portray God's ethical failings and the sickening gory details of some of the rites and rituals. The new Testament, though, seem to fix a lot of these initial issues.

But my question is if God is perfect, why do we need two testaments - one to fix fulfill the other?

Revelations 13;8.
8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The above scripture shows that the redemption plan(death of Jesus) was planned together along side with the creation plan. It then means that the old testament and the new were a total package. Its not as if it was an idea that came to God at some point in the old testament. The birth, death and resurrection of Jesus began the new testament and this was a preplanned thing from the foundation of the world.

Both the old testament and the new reflected the various sides of God and the various ways he deals with man. God deals with man in various ways. When he says he cannot change it doesnt mean that he deals with everybody in one straight jacket way. It means that none of his characteristics/attributes(love, wrath, mercy, goodness, omnipotence, omniscient, omnipresent etc) will change or cease to exist. As for the way he deals with us? It varies.

The new testament wasnt an after thought for God.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by PastorAIO: 2:21am On Sep 29, 2014
alexleo:

Revelations 13;8.
8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The above scripture shows that the redemption plan(death of Jesus) was planned together along side with the creation plan.

The new testament wasnt an after thought for God.

It didn't say that Jesus death was planned at the beginning. It says that it happened at the beginning.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 6:48am On Sep 29, 2014
PastorAIO:

It didn't say that Jesus death was planned at the beginning. It says that it happened at the beginning.

Well the main point i was driving at was that the new testament did not come as an after thought. Its not as if God was using it to correct a mistake he made. Both the old and new were a total package from the beginning
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 29, 2014
alexleo:

Well the main point i was driving at was that the new testament did not come as an after thought. Its not as if God was using it to correct a mistake he made. Both the old and new were a total package from the beginning
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 29, 2014
alexleo:

So we are just acting out God's script that was written from the beginning, right? Is the old testament also as relevant and accurate in its portrayal of the person of God as the new Testament?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 11:31am On Oct 01, 2014
Xcapist:

So we are just acting out God's script that was written from the beginning, right?

Yea to an extent. But on the other hand we are responsible for our action, choice and its consequences.

Xcapist:
Is the old testament also as relevant and accurate in its portrayal of the person of God as the new Testament?

Like I said, each of the testament projected the various ways of God's dealing with man. The old was God's dealing with man before Christ came while the new shows God's dealing with man in the era of Christ(grace).
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
alexleo:

Yea to an extent. But on the other hand we are responsible for our action, choice and its consequences.

Like I said, each of the testament projected the various ways of God's dealing with man. The old was God's dealing with man before Christ came while the new shows God's dealing with man in the era of Christ(grace).

Oh, how interesting. So God knew everything right from the beginning. He wrote the drama, yet the actors had to write their own parts.

Mmm, what can we call such a script?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Dygeasy(m): 7:11pm On Oct 01, 2014
Xcapist:

Thanks for this. kiss you've entered into the belly of faith where reason can't reach you. Congrats!!
hahaha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church / Marrying A Pastor; A Blessing Or A Curse / Happy Palm Sunday Nairalanders!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.