Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? (20033 Views)

Another Proof That The New Testament Is Not The Word Of God / A Lot Of People Say The New Testament Is Fake / Yisraylite, How Come You Believe Dat D New Testament Is Fake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by DavidKissinger(m): 10:34pm On Oct 06, 2014
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by AgentOfAllah: 12:53am On Oct 07, 2014
DavidKissinger:

On being a 'murderer'. What if they were absolutely necessary? I'm not all-knowing, HE is. But have you ever had a pet? let's say a dog or a cat.. How does it react when you try to clip its nails? Defensive? Violent? Why? Because in its defined knowledge, it thinks you're trying to hurt him. Whereas, you're not. Your intention is for its greater good.

Assuming your analogy is appropriate, is it really the "greater good" of the pet or its owner that necessitates the clipping of its claws? You could have used a better analogy, like the sick baby and doctor's syringe, to a more potent effect.

Regardless of whichever version you use though, your analogy still fails on one very important count: It presupposes the existence of the god whose very existence is being scrutinised. For your analogy to be applicable, you first have to show that:

1) like the pet owner, this god actually exists.

2) this god requires you to worship it.

3) this god does not harbour any evil intentions. After all, there's nothing that stops a pet owner from harbouring evil intensions towards their pet.

Surely, asking us to make all three assumptions would be asking for too much?!

2 Likes

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Image123(m): 1:03am On Oct 07, 2014
davien:
lol....The putrid nonsense you conglomerated up there only shows how r3tarded you are in thinking....
estimates are the best evidence anyone can give and like i said earlier along with your homeostasis,bladder capacity and other factors.... i can estimate a number....say no less than 300 or an average of 3-5 times and i will still be right....unless you have a bladder the size of an elephant cheesy
the process for tracing dna to locations' is called geographic population structure.... tongue id0to! lol...
You couldn't hold yourself together and behave, could you? Don't have too much faith in all that stuff you've being reading on the internet, get a real education if you can. You can actually be intelligent, you have potential.
So, you can't verify your future apparently. Perhaps you can conclude you have no real future from your assessment. Estimates are the best you can do to verify howmany times i urinated yesterday? That's not good enough for reality, you see? You said reality has to be verifiable, not estimated. Estimating is probability, same as saying Mo' flew to heaven or no. Many would think it probable i figure.
And this geographic population structure thing, you say it can tell if my grandfather ever traveled to Sudan? How merely can we go, it would be nice to see this demonstrated.i reckon it would greatly improve perspectives on reality. What step can you take to demonstrate this miragelike story you're telling?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by davien(m): 4:03am On Oct 07, 2014
Image123:

You couldn't hold yourself together and behave, could you? Don't have too much faith in all that stuff you've being reading on the internet, get a real education if you can. You can actually be intelligent, you have potential.
So, you can't verify your future apparently. Perhaps you can conclude you have no real future from your assessment. Estimates are the best you can do to verify howmany times i urinated yesterday? That's not good enough for reality, you see? You said reality has to be verifiable, not estimated. Estimating is probability, same as saying Mo' flew to heaven or no. Many would think it probable i figure.
And this geographic population structure thing, you say it can tell if my grandfather ever traveled to Sudan? How merely can we go, it would be nice to see this demonstrated.i reckon it would greatly improve perspectives on reality. What step can you take to demonstrate this miragelike story you're telling?
smh.......estimates are based on concurrent data....only a religitard like yourself would try to compare estimates to assertions of a man on a winged animal taking flight to "heaven".... tongue
I really don't have anything to prove to you because whether or not you understand or deny the science it still works... not so much you can say for talking donkeys and psychopathic magical jewish "god" can you? cheesy
And no i couldn't help but laugh on your stup!dity....if you noticed i'm following you.. dimwits like you are funny...so why not follow you and get daily laughs from your stup!dity? cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Orunto: 6:30am On Oct 07, 2014
God is good means God is development, improvement, increment, expansion etc. For you as a Father to be able to expand in your home as well as in your life, you get married and have children Heaven and Earth are God's home and life. To prove this, That same God gives His Son, ISSVE ISXTE, JESUS CHRIST to us to show His Goodness, His Continuation, His Expansion, His New Testament etc to the world. Tell me what could be better than thIs idea of God's benevolence? THERE IS GOD O...O.... O!
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 07, 2014
Image123:

Yes, the bible answers are very truth.

On what grounds can we ascertain it's truthfulness? Is it objective truth we speak about or subjective.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 6:55am On Oct 07, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

Assuming your analogy is appropriate, is it really the "greater good" of the pet or its owner that necessitates the clipping of its claws? You could have used a better analogy, like the sick baby and doctor's syringe, to a more potent effect.

Regardless of whichever version you use though, your analogy still fails on one very important count: It presupposes the existence of the god whose very existence is being scrutinised. For your analogy to be applicable, you first have to show that:

1) like the pet owner, this god actually exists.

2) this god requires you to worship it.

3) this god does not harbour any evil intentions. After all, there's nothing that stops a pet owner from harbouring evil intensions towards their pet.

Surely, asking us to make all three assumptions would be asking for too much?!

You're not in a position to ask such questions. To answer such question, we'd have to know what you believe in first..
What do you believe in..??
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 7:02am On Oct 07, 2014
davien:
smh.......estimates are based on concurrent data....only a religitard like yourself would try to compare estimates to assertions of a man on a winged animal taking flight to "heaven".... tongue
I really don't have anything to prove to you because whether or not you understand or deny the science it still works... not so much you can say for talking donkeys and psychopathic magical jewish "god" can you? cheesy
And no i couldn't help but laugh on your stup!dity.... if you noticed i'm following you.. dimwits like you are funny...so why not follow you and get daily laughs from your stup!dity? cheesy

You know, you could actually be followin' because dimwits like him as you propose might just be that person that 'lld help you get answers to questions botherin' your person...
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 7:06am On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

On what grounds can we ascertain it's truthfulness? Is it objective truth we speak about or subjective.

You could start by comparin' Design and Evolution....
Which seems more logical.. Base your assertions on the complexity of man, natural constants, morals, intelligence.. E.t.c
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 07, 2014
DavidKissinger:

There you go! our preachers, society, since time imemorial have so emasculated the Lion of Judah that He seemed to be without teeth, without claws...
let's not forget the nullifying balancing attributes of the lamb. Lions and lambs don't coexist in nature.

My point exactly? Your beliefs were initially built on what the society made you or wanted you to believe. And now, you feel you've broken free. You focus on what they never told you.
True.

But it's funny (more hurting than funny though) how 'we' will suddenly take from the spotlight, the ultimate price He paid for our sins- His life.
David that is what you want to believe. That's what the society made you to believe, from your point above. Did the Romans crucify Jesus because he was some ultimate sacrifice needed to save them and us? No. It's because he was a political rebel advocating a "Kingdom" other than that of Ceazar. No constitution of any modern, sovereign state is "traitor-friendly". The Romans executed thousands of people and crucifixion was the popular execution technique of the day. Hundreds of other rebels where crucified. So it was not really personal or special. What of the Jews, what was their beef? He was a heretic, implying a direct descent from God. Unacceptable.

Oh, I seem to have digressed to a large extent. On being a 'murderer'. What if they were absolutely necessary? I'm not all-knowing, HE is. But have you ever had a pet? let's say a dog or a cat.. How does it react when you try to clip its nails? Defensive? Violent? Why? Because in its defined knowledge, it thinks you're trying to hurt him. Whereas, you're not. Your intention is for its greater good.

David, supporting genocide for a supposedly "common good" just doesn't look good on you. Hitler killed the Jews for a common good, he was doing his people a favor. Ahmedinejad wants to annihilate the Jews for the "common good" of his people. The Totsi of Rwanda killed millions of Hutus for the "common good" of their people. Are all these people justified because their intention was for a common good? I don't believe so. Yahweh commanded the annihilation of nations practicing a different religion for the "common good" of his people...should we let him off the hock then? If it's because he's an all knowing deity then we should go right on and support ISIS religious/ethnic purging in the middle east because their god too is omniscient, and their slaughtering Christians and kurdish is for the common good, an act ordained by god.

And Yes, I've had my fair share of 'nail clipping' too. My experience with HIM is largely based on it. And I know HE exists, and nothing tampers with the faith I have in HIM.

How do you know for certain that HE is Yahweh, not Allah or Mbombo or Dagon or Zeus or Baal or Brahma or Horus or Ixtab or Poseidon, or Yum Kimil or Ullr or Bixia Yuanjin or Phaeton or Di Chang or Anahito or any one of the host of deities? Is it because he's the most popular with you? were you not born in to an environment that favored Yahweh over all the rest by tagging the rest as idols or demons and your Yahweh as the true god. Newsflash there are people who think your Yahweh is a Jewish idol too, at best a demiurge.

Xcapist, I have just two questions for you, and they go thus:

I remember in one of your entries, you said (I can't remember your exact words, so I'll just twist it) "I guess one doesn't need religion to be moral" something of sort.

My question is.. You were once a Christian. Don't you think these morals imbibed in you owe to the religious ties you hitherto had?

Yes. And Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism and plain humanist altruism has had a similar effect on other people too.

If Yes,

Does it not make sense to you that the ultimate fountain of these morals should be moral Himself?

Morals is not a person brother David. Let's not get all esoteric here. Morals is a term that is concerned with the standards of behaviour, principles of right and wrong that classifies the goodness or badness of human action and character....and that may vary from culture to culture.

2. What's your overall take on Miracles?

In ancient times people viewed natural phenomena like rain, disease, volcanic eruption, snow, earthquake, soil fertility, etc etc as "miracles" - direct effect of their deities activities. Now we've come a long way and we know about vapor and water cycle, about microbes, continental plates and geotectonics, etc. I don't rule out that there are things - phenomena - we are yet to unravel but discoveries are being made everyday. But if by miracle you mean the activities of Christian faith healers, then sir, I have to tell you that I've never had a personal experience of such, have you? For all I know it may all be scripted. My curiosity made me open a thread here soliciting for people to put up their supernatural experiences here . Well, guess what, it had only 15 posts (about 4 of them are mine), and none was anything evidential enough. What does that tell you? I reckon the greater percentage of people haven't had any such experience. It is therefore not ubiquitous even in the Christian realm.

That'll be all for now.

P.S; I realise this may be incoherent.
that's how it often is with sincere thoughts. Thanks for this Davidkissinger. I beg that you go over these with your God-given reason and not let your emotion and heart to dominate. The heart is deceitful after all grin stay blessed.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 07, 2014
My friend BossTtdiamonds has been sighted. I like this guy, wonderful individual...but he's not a hero grin
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 07, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Which seems more logical.. Base your assertions on the complexity of man, natural constants, morals, intelligence.. E.t.c

Sorry bro, I'm not a diehard evolutionist. Not my domain. Truth be told I haven't dwelt on that topic much.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Tallesty1(m): 8:36am On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Sorry bro, I'm not a diehard evolutionist. Not my domain. Truth be told I haven't dwelt on that topic much.
Someone said that you are yoonique guy.cheesycheesycheesy

I saw it this morning.

She is right thou.

But she forgot to add trouble maker.grin

Good morning sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2014
Tallesty1:

I saw it this morning.

She is right thou.

Good morning sir

LWKMD!! grin Tallesty1 you baaa?! Haba, I've been really good fa sad I even read your thread on how to remain calm under nl e-attacks to improve. Kontinu, diazi god. A very good morning to you too bro!!
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by AgentOfAllah: 8:44am On Oct 07, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

You're not in a position to ask such questions.

I have sound deductive and cognitive skills, and I'm able to articulate my thoughts with lucidity. The way I see it, I'm in a position to ask any question I like.

BossTtdiamonds:

To answer such question, we'd have to know what you believe in first..

I don't think my beliefs had the remotest influence on the decision you made concerning yours, so you don't need to know what I believe in any more than you need to know what I had for breakfast.

BossTtdiamonds:

What do you believe in..??

If you really wish to know, I believe in me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Tallesty1(m): 8:55am On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

LWKMD!! grin Tallesty1 you baaa?! Haba, I've been really good fa sad I even read your thread on how to remain calm under nl e-attacks to improve. Kontinu, diazi god. A very good morning to you too bro!!
lols..... Don't mind me, just looking for trouble this morning.

Yes you are..... And I believe they don't attack you? Do they??

I see no for reason for that anyway cause you always mind your own business.

I'm following your conversation with David.

There are places I wanted to chirp in but lipsrsealedlipsrsealed for now......

Make I dey observe yet.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by MizMyColi(f): 9:03am On Oct 07, 2014
Tallesty1:

I saw it this morning.

She is right thou.

Good morning sir

grin
FIXED!
grin

I saw that too and dropped a like.

@TheStriked, no carry Rich join our ministry biko, you na president, me I be VP
shocked

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 07, 2014
Tallesty1:
lols..... Don't mind me, just looking for trouble this morning.

Yes you are..... And I believe they don't attack you? Do they??

I see no for reason for that anyway cause you always mind your own business.

I'm following your conversation with David.

There are places I wanted to chirp in but lipsrsealedlipsrsealed for now......

Make I dey observe yet.

Hahaha. And no, they don't attack me, I think mostly because the people I've come in contact with have been courteous, intelligent and even tempered individuals. Anyway, I discovered that the more respectful and understanding of their person I try to be, the more they tend to reciprocate the same. #GoldenRuleRocks

You're following my banter abi? I still can't believe an impeccable guy like Davidkissinger found me interesting from my journal and followed me to this thread... me wey still dey struggle to mek d subjects gree wit dem verbs... Nawao.

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by AgentOfAllah: 9:37am On Oct 07, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Evolution is design by nature. Perhaps you wish to compare evolution and intelligent, purposive design?

By definition, any naturalistic/materialistic proposition for the origin of species, however flawed, is statistically less improbable than a supernatural alternative. So, your task is to show that this level of complexity is not naturally possible.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 9:50am On Oct 07, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

Evolution is design by nature. Perhaps you wish to compare evolution and intelligent, purposive design?

By definition, any naturalistic/materialistic proposition for the origin of species, however flawed, is statistically less improbable than a supernatural alternative. So, your task is to show that this level of complexity is not naturally possible.

Currently busy... Someone mailed tis' thread to check it out..twas why I'm here.. 'lld come back..
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 10:01am On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:
My friend BossTtdiamonds has been sighted. I like this guy, wonderful individual...but he's not a hero grin

Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
someone mailed tis' thread to me.. Plus I'm followin' you..so the thread is shared with me..
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by davien(m): 11:43am On Oct 07, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

You know, you could actually be followin' because dimwits like him as you propose might just be that person that 'lld help you get answers to questions botherin' your person...
i was just poking fun dude.....i don't really consider image123 a dimwit.....and yes i love people proving me wrong but its when its done truthfully not with dishonest tactics.......although if you are talking about the "god" mass hysteria i really doubt anyone could prove it......being that nothing really points to it...
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by AfricanApple(f): 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Hahaha, I've also tried to see it that way, but since people and their cultures and accompanying behaviours have been changing since time immemorial, should we expect another testament? A modern testament of sorts, since some of the NT still isn't exactly perfect or well suited for today's modern world?

Is it wrong to ask questions? Does it offend God?
are u an atheist? or a christian who is just curious about god?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 07, 2014
DavidKissinger:

Lol. Hilarious, truly. grin

But don't you think, man via-à-vis his Maker should be of 'low intelligence'?

Yes I think it should be low compared to It's Creator But not low to the extent that man doesn't recognize that smashing a baby's head against stone is evil!
Cmon....... undecided

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by herald9: 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
Simple!

The new testament is of a perfect son of Godtongue
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 07, 2014
MizMyColi:

grin
FIXED!
grin

I saw that too and dropped a like.

@TheStriked, no carry Rich join our ministry biko, you na president, me I be VP
shocked

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Abeg if the post of treasurer is still open I'm interested oo

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
AfricanApple:
are u an atheist? or a christian who is just curious about god?

I'm a humanist
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by MizMyColi(f): 6:04pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Abeg if the post of treasurer is still open I'm interested oo

Okay na, it's an autocratic government. Once Tallesty1 approve, you're good to go.

Tallesty1, Xcapist, where's the thread you're cooking?
cool
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by joe4christ(m): 7:37pm On Oct 07, 2014
Xcapist:

Ohh my god. Haba manmacho?! Do you have draw that card? you have my permission to quote, highlight and embolden anything contradictory about anything I've said in this thread and I'd be more than glad to explain better or even accept my blunder.

You have to understand that Santa is an imaginary character but people still talk about him as though he's a real person, same thing with the tooth fairy and their likes. Yahweh is also a well formed character in your bible but some of us do not believe in him (or his existence)...so what name do you want us to call the character? We point out some things about your Yahweh so that maybe you can see the contradictions in that character and come to the same realisation as hifaif did. Remember, the majority of atheists on NL weren't born atheists.

As for the emboldened, why is it that he vend immediate judgement to the old testament people, causing the ground to open and swallow thousands as a punishment for idolatry, even with the new testament couple that lied about their contribution but he can not swallow one hifaif right now? And you're claiming god has hope? Doesn't he already know all the number that he will carry to his heaven even before the foundations of the earth were laid? To hell with the rest of us vessels of dishonour, created for his wrath right? So don't pull the mercy card, I assure you it's the wrong hand.

You are so on point, i would be deceitful if i disagree.
All religionists are influenced by fear of ''God's wrath'' and blinded by religious doctrines, deluded and brain-washed by it.
Religion is the greatest scam of all time, sold to man by those whose desire is to control human populace, it's not as if most people dont see the inconsistences in the ''holy books'' just that they are afraid of being roasted forever in hell by a '' supposed merciful God'' for doubting or questioning his supremacy.
I was once on that lane 2yrs back right here on Nairaland, my moniker speaks volume, so you see, until these people decide to liberate themselves from the chain of fear ''Religion'' and get enlightened, there is absolutely nothing you can possibly do.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 07, 2014
joe4christ:

You are so on point, i would be deceitful if i disagree.
All religionists are influenced by fear of ''God's wrath'' and blinded by religious doctrines, deluded and brain-washed by it.
Religion is the greatest scam of all time, sold to man by those whose desire is to control human populace, it's not as if most people dont see the inconsistences in the ''holy books'' just that they are afraid of being roasted forever in hell by a '' supposed merciful God'' for doubting or questioning his supremacy.
I was once on that lane 2yrs back right here on Nairaland, my moniker speaks volume, so you see, until these people decide to liberate themselves from the chain of fear ''Religion'' and get enlightened, there is absolutely nothing you can possibly do.

Cheers!

Wooaw. The moniker does speak volumes bro! Alas! It's a testimonial, like Paul would say: I carry on me the mark of Christ. You and AgentofAllah have "weird" monikers for 'irreligionist' tongue What is your story?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by joe4christ(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
Ubenedictus:

under what penial code will you judge God. He created all those life, they are all his. What is your headache that he decided to take what is his.

And yet we were created in his image or is it likeness, and he went as far as charging us not to kill or commit thesame thing he is used to doing whenever he gets angry.
Does he have problem with leading by example
He does what even the imperfect human would consider as evil, and he on the other hand will roast any human who commit same...
And you expect a rational being like me to serve such a sadist

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by joe4christ(m): 8:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
hifaif:

Then, stop complaining about BH and ISIS. Allah owns those babies that ISIS has crushed.

Heartless people. You do not see anything wrong in a God asking soldiers to kill children? You asking me under what penal code can YOUR God be judged for killing INNOCENT babies? I ask you under what penal code can Allah be judged for instructing ISIS to crush babies

Now, this is interesting gringrincheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Happy Palm Sunday Nairalanders! / Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . / Ghana Bishop Sam Owusu Apologizes To Jerry Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.