Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,533 members, 7,812,653 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? (20039 Views)

Another Proof That The New Testament Is Not The Word Of God / A Lot Of People Say The New Testament Is Fake / Yisraylite, How Come You Believe Dat D New Testament Is Fake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 05, 2014
asalimpo:

i said tht (within context of course) and it wasnt silly as u say.
The babies were killed before growing up.
I stated a reason,though not biblically supported-there's no scripture explaining God's position on the matter so my explanation is a conjecture.
- the babies are decimated because it is better tht they b killed then than that they grow up into evil spawns before they are contained.
I also stressed about the perversion of d babylonians. The old testament and even historical records support d points i made.
Secondly, God has the property of seeing into d future. While man doesnt, the decision he takes may not sit well with humans who don't see the big picture.
Two, God has the prerogative over creation because He created everything. If a potter is making a vessel, he can choose to destroy the vessel while on d spinning wheel and remain faultless in the eyes of the law.
He can because he is the owner of d clay,the wheel etc.
The clay can't sue the potter to court.

Please,wipe out of ur mind the picture of modern day democratic legitness.
God is a Sovereign. He could very well do anything He likes and still b legally correct.
And there's nothing you or man can do or say! But he has isnt wanton. Because of His very nature-LOVE.
Suprised. Yeah. But love doesnt mean sentimentallity . Love does what is right and just.

Let me ask you- if God ordered d killing of Hitler,osama bin laden, boko haram founder at infancy what wud you say?
He's wicked. Right. Tht innocent hitler baby, tht cute osama child.
You'd judge pre maturely until
the abuja bomb blast. 9/11 , ww2.
Until widows and orphans wish such people were never born.

You don't know enough to judge God.

So that means If a man of God comes to meet you that the lord told him that your baby must be killed because he would grow up to be very evil,more evil that osama, would you give out your baby to be killed?

Don't Dodge the question oooo,If you Dodge the question I would assume you have seen the absurdity of your stance that killing a baby to prevent a future evil is right.

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 7:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

cheesy grin
Is it not speaking it tongues and being pushed by the holy ghost that u call experiencing God? I have experienced God If that is What it means to experience God,cheesy

Now its obvious you are actually among those christians that never experienced God. You really dont know what it means to experience God and this was your real problem.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Now its obvious you are actually among those christians that never experienced God. You really dont know what it means to experience God and this was your real problem.

Tell me What it is to experience God,am Really interested, can you tell me What experiencing God is? Thank you smiley
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 8:10pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Yahweh simply doesn't exist,man created Yahweh to give ancient people something They could fear,So at least They would be a little bit of order........

Are you still confused? Do you need more examples?

This is to all the Christians here not just you alone......

Now you see how dubious and dangerous you people can be? In one breath you were advising your fellow deceived atheists on how best to argue and win christians by not telling them that God doesnt exist, In the same breath you are here committing the same thing you advised them against. Now tell me why people shouldnt call your atheistic stand fraudulent and dangerous to follow. Why would any reasonable person believe that your stand is true?
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 8:21pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Tell me What it is to experience God,am Really interested, can you tell me What experiencing God is? Thank you smiley

Banom was an atheist here for a long time. Those of us who have been here for long knows who banom was. Go and read his conversion story. Nobody preached to him, he didnt speak in tongues, he had an encounter with God and nobody told him that there is God. And after the experience he didnt want to identify with any religion until he was sure. We all supported him to allow God lead him to the right religion. After sometime he became a christian. Nobody preached him into it.

When you have that personal encounter, you will not be deceived again by anybody that there is no God. You will bear the testimony yourself. Forget about what you did in church in the past.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Now you see how dubious and dangerous you people can be? In one breath you were advising your fellow deceived atheists on how best to argue and win christians by not telling them that God doesnt exist, In the same breath you are here committing the same thing you advised them against. Now tell me why people shouldnt call your atheistic stand fraudulent and dangerous to follow. Why would any reasonable person believe that your stand is true?

Hahahaa,I never said atheist shouldn't say God doesn't exist,you have lied against me,hell awaits you !!!! I only said They should respect their beliefs,Lol is that difficult for u to grasp? Or do u have eye problem?

Hell awaits you, because you have lied against me!!!.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Banom was an atheist here for a long time. Those of us who have been here for long knows who banom was. Go and read his conversion story. Nobody preached to him, he didnt speak in tongues, he had an encounter with God and nobody told him that there is God. And after the experience he didnt want to identify with any religion until he was sure. We all supported him to allow God lead him to the right religion. After sometime he became a christian. Nobody preached him into it.

When you have that personal encounter, you will not be deceived again by anybody that there is no God. You will bear the testimony yourself. Forget about what you did in church in the past.

I seriously await that personal experience, If I get a personal experience from God then I will convert back to Christianity,and I hope he would give me answers to all the questions I have for him,They are much ooo cheesy grin
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by asalimpo(m): 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2014
Xcapist:

Bro, I totally get you. I've used the same paradigm of thought in the past so believe me when I say I understand. You are still a christian and an "insider", I don't mean this in a condescending way but you show a deficit in understanding any view outside what you're accustomed to - your bible.

You should note this; I'm not the demon who's been released from the pits of hell to attack your faith cheesy, just a fellow journeyer on this trip called life trying to make sense of the experience. So I invite you to keep an open mind.

You've quoted some scriptural verses that present noble thoughts. But have you ever come across the horrendously ugly ones? Ones so horrendous that they can not have a place in today's modern world whether Christians like it or not. Will you ever consider stoning your own son to dead for being stubborn? Will you stone a girl to death because she was raped? Will you ever smash a baby on a rock because god ask you to? Will you kill people because they lied about their offering money? Do you feel we should turn the other cheek for Boko Horam to retweet slaps? It's all in your bible...

Bro, I think you're a tad prejudiced in your view of Muslims. Some of the best people I've met and contributed to my life are Muslim. They're not all terrorists. What will you say about the crusades, the witch hunts and even the contemporary genocide of Muslims by Christians in Central Africa? Christians are not innocent of these atrocities. I now believe we only have good people and bad people. Simple.

And it's obvious you've not met genuine spiritual people from other faiths. You are not them, you can't ascertain the genuineness of their experience since it's their experience not yours. How will you feel if I told your glossolalia (aka speaking in tongues) is fake without first experiencing it myself?

thank you for keeping a level head.
If u want to b objective, you will note that the bible has many facets of God's relation with man.
U and fellow atheists,selectively pick scriptures to denigrate God with.

Will an atheist ever equally harp on this?
- the deliverance of an entire nation from generations and century of slavery
- being a pillar of cloud to His people by day and of fire by night
- sendg enuff food to feed an entire nation in the wilderness
- creating the rainbow as a sign never to again wipe man out by flood
- removing the shame from an old man who had given up hope of ever fathering a child
- making a certified dead womb , a womb tht cudnt concieve at 20, bear a child at 90!
- creating an entire planet for man
- putting gold, silver precious stones in the ground for man.
- givg man,the gift of autonomy, including the freedom to reject God, commit unfettered any kind of act/sin.
- giving man air to breathe
- creating a special apparatus for living on earth called the human body
- making the human body regenerative.
God gave u and I our bodies.
What is the economic value of
the following organs:
your eyes
your tongue
your kidneys
your ear drums
your thumb
your hair
your heart
your liver
your spleen
your bones

assuming science cud perfectly create perfect versions of these organs, how much would it go for?
We are talkg about a wicked God.

- promising mankind a deliverer from sin.
Wen satan and the angels sinned, they were thrown out without mercy.
Yet God spared man.

I cud go on and on and on listing God's goodness.
Wats d point,the point simply is
your finger pointg against God is not objective but biased. So how dyu make a point when ur biased.
There is no atheist on this planet that will list and exaggerate the goodness of God.
If as u say,yu turned ur back on God for his atrocities what of his benevolence?
If the smashg of babies heads on stones made u quit as being too gross wat off the salvation of the human race numbering in uncountable numbers by one man's obedience-Jesus Christ?
You ar tryg to b fair but you're far from it.
Very far.
How many people will b spared eternity on Hell because of Jesus?
Are using a scale? Which weighs more.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by sheunfemix: 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2014
Xcapist:
sheunfemix, you've been sighted! grin How're things going on your end? How was service today.

Oops, hope I don't get banned for derailing my own thread cheesy
I will beat u if u mention my name again. Service was great.. Our pastor taught us about the Mind. And I cudnt help but think about u all the way through. The talked in detail about the likes of u. About guiding the heart(mind) from people like u. So dnt mention me again o. Bad boy
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by asalimpo(m): 9:20pm On Oct 05, 2014
@Xcapist
i'm still with u.
I've read all the "horrendous" stories in the bible.
Firstly, you ar judging God as being too harsh . But you are not qualified to.
I dont understand the weight of the sin in God's eyes but note,
we dont and can't weight fully sin.
When uzziah touched the ark to right it as it was about to fall God's anger broke out against him,and Killed him.
What do u see?
You and others see, a man rightg a fallen Ark,just a wooden box(as u would downplay it),
what does God see?
The weight of the sin is grevious enuff to warrant death.
If you and I saw sin the way God saw it- it wud b repulsive we would react against it as He does.
GOD'S JUDGEMENT ARE JUST AND PERFECT.
Adam and Eve, ate from d tree God said they shudnt. What wud you and I hav done?
What wud the law in the world system do?
Take beating traffc light for example. It's a trivial thing.
To God it is not.
It is trivial to us because in a sin-filled world our perception of sin , is dulled and warped.
On the issues of sin , you can't judge because you dont hav the same perception as the One,your judging,God.
You,simply dont.
To man, in adam's case, he'd simply reprimand him, and that wud b it.
There was a time people were ashamed to be prostitutes and gays.
No ,in this "modern world" as you say, this more lax world,
prostitution is legal in some countries.
Gayness is legal in some.

Without God's help and the Bible we can't tell wat sin is.
As the world pushes the bible aside wat dyu think will happen?
It will revert back to the dark ages. God's word is light to d world and a true christian is the salt of the earth.

As for the muslims and other faith, i can only shake my head.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
That genuine muslim and his genuine experience etc is dead in sin,dyu know that?
His goodness is like filthy rotten garment in the eyes of God.
His own Koran doesnt ASSURE HIM OF SALVATION.
If he dies in his sins he goes expressly to hell.
My job is to tell him Jesus saves and pull out of d devil's trap.
There's only one way to God,through Jesus Christ ,every other way leads to hell.
It's blunt and harsh but tht's it.
You can interprete it as you like , as a threat as hogwash . It makes no difference.
Hell is real. Jesus has paid the price. It's free for all. No matter how terrible your sin is God thru Jesus will make it as white as snow.
If u reject God's Solution and go inventg ur own way,you disqualify urself.
It's sad but it's true. Muslims are prayg 5 times a day to hell.
Jw's are zealously , distributg tracks to hell.
Buddhist are meditating to hell.
Catholics ar kissg an idol to hell.
While som people know d truth but aint telling,cuz they dont wanna hurt nobody.
If i go to hell,it will b with my eyes wide open , not thinkg i'll
make heaven only to b suprised.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 9:23pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Hahahaa,I never said atheist shouldn't say God doesn't exist,you have lied against me,hell awaits you !!!! I only said They should respect their beliefs,Lol is that difficult for u to grasp? Or do u have eye problem?

Hell awaits you, because you have lied against me!!!.

Bro go and read your post again, place it side by side with the one i commented on and see if you did not contradict your submissions. grin
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Bro go and read your post again, place it side by side with the one i commented on and see if you did not contradict your submissions. grin

You are the one who needs to show me Where I stated that atheist should not say God doesn't exist Since you are the one accusing me.......
So post my original post and highlight Where I stated that .......or forever be called a LIAR!!!!! tongue
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 9:49pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

I seriously await that personal experience, If I get a personal experience from God then I will convert back to Christianity,and I hope he would give me answers to all the questions I have for him,They are much ooo cheesy grin

Somehow i blame some of our pastors who rather than point people to Christ are making them see Christ through them. Everything about your relationship with God must pass through them (being men of God). Thats why they are competing with the pictures of them and their wives on the bill boards everywhere. While the apostles pointed people to Christ, they point people to themselves as the door to Christ. Its just a pity.

On the other hand i blame you for not taking time to have personal encounter with God aside your pastor's teachings.

When you are sincere about having an encounter with God, you will see that you will.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 10:05pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

You are the one who needs to show me Where I stated that atheist should not say God doesn't exist Since you are the one accusing me.......
So post my original post and highlight Where I stated that .......or forever be called a LIAR!!!!! tongue

Dapo777:
One thing I have noticed is that Christians,I mean staunch Christians have formed deep emotional attachment with "Yahweh". It's just like When you love someone deeply, no matter What negative thing another person might tell you about your lover,you won't believe it nor want to accept it because of the emotional attachment you have with the person,you would only think the person is jealous.
The same thing applies to Christians,They are emotionally bonded to "Yahweh" so whatever negative thing you say or imply or that you are driving at, would be opposed logically or illogically,because "Yahweh" is So dear to their heart you shouldn't mess with "him/it/her" .

If you want to have a reasonable debate with Christians first make them understand that you do not hate "Yahweh", that you are not against Christianity, that you don't think their belief is silly,you just have to appeal to their emotions first and respect their beliefs.

Saying that God does not exist is it not part of the negative comment to christians or you want to separate it from what you mean by negative comments? Na wa for you.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

This is my original post "If you want to have a reasonable debate with Christians first make them understand that you do not hate "Yahweh", that you are not against Christianity, that you don't think their belief is silly,you just have to appeal to their emotions first and respect their beliefs."

Stop lying,no Where did I ask atheists to keep their opinion of non belief to themselves, there is a difference between stating your own opinion and being rude to other people's beliefs,If you belief God exist,It's not my problem That's your business,I am not trying to change you to an atheist just want those it may concern to know the reasons why I am a nonconformist.
My girlfriend is a Christian,she knows I am an atheist and she didn't stop loving me because of that,she doesn't even try to change me and That's why I love her more,she isn't judgmental,such is true love man. Not the kind of love Yahweh has that makes him kill millions innocent people for Nothing.

Even If Yahweh exist,Chaiii I won't want to serve such a wicked being. Forget about the good things he did,If a man is charged to court and found guilty,the judge won't Remember the good things he has done, and no one cares to see things Through the criminals eyes.

If I kill your Mum and tell you that to me it is not a sin,will u accept that and forget about her death and forgive me immediately, ofcourse not,So you see your sense of justice is as skewed as that of the Bible. I meant asalimpo sense of justice not yours

Edited.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Saying that God does not exist is it not part of the negative comment to christians or you want to separate it from what you mean by negative comments? Na wa for you.

Lol,So saying god doesn't exist is negative?

Ok If saying So hurts you,I am Sorry about that I am only expressing my opinion and I have the right to,you can only agree or disagree, no one will force any belief on you.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Somehow i blame some of our pastors who rather than point people to Christ are making them see Christ through them. Everything about your relationship with God must pass through them (being men of God). Thats why they are competing with the pictures of them and their wives on the bill boards everywhere. While the apostles pointed people to Christ, they point people to themselves as the door to Christ. Its just a pity.

On the other hand i blame you for not taking time to have personal encounter with God aside your pastor's teachings.

When you are sincere about having an encounter with God, you will see that you will.

Since you are very close to God,tell God to reveal himself to me by himself If he is not shy. If God isn't bold enough to toast me himself I will not accept his proposal because he has decided to send u cheesy

Help me ask Mr God why he is So wicked in OT and considering the fact he said he changeth not and it is easier for heaven and earth to pass than for the word of God to change,So I suppose God is still as wicked as he was in OT. Tell me What he told you once he replies you.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 10:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Since you are very close to God,tell God to reveal himself to me by himself If he is not shy. If God isn't bold enough to toast me himself I will not accept his proposal because he has decided to send u cheesy

Help me ask Mr God why he is So wicked in OT and considering the fact he said he changeth not and it is easier for heaven and earth to pass than for the word of God to change,So I suppose God is still as wicked as he was in OT. Tell me What he told you once he replies you.

Again when you are serious about having an encounter with God we will know. For now, feel free with whatever that pleases you. We will all leave this world on individual basis and we will be judged individually. Whether you believe it or not doesn't change anything.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Again when you are serious about having an encounter with God we will know. For now, feel free with whatever that pleases you. We will all leave this world on individual basis and we will be judged individually. Whether you believe it or not doesn't change anything.

Same thing here man,whether you believe it or not we are all going back to oblivion after rottening in the grave.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 10:55pm On Oct 05, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

Lol...classic! Quick question: Have you experienced god "personally and genuinely"? If so, how does it look? Has it got a gender? Did it talk to you?

Obviously what you described in the bold is a non living thing and i ve not come across such a thing in my life so i cant describe it.

The personality i had encounter with is the almighty God who rules over all the earth. The omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent God. Eternity will not be enough to talk about him.To him be all glory, honour, power, dominion forever and ever. AMEN AND AMEN.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by ideology(m): 11:04pm On Oct 05, 2014
Xcapist:
I always believed that God is perfect - almighty and all knowing, and He neither lies nor errs. He is perfect and his word is true and final. But I struggled for a long time with some scriptures in the old Testament, especially ones that seem to portray God's ethical failings and the sickening gory details of some of the rites and rituals. The new Testament, though, seem to fix a lot of these initial issues.

But my question is if God is perfect, why do we need two testaments - one to fix fulfill the other?
Oga, i spent time to type a lot i believe will help you, but I lost it, will send you feedback tomorrow.
Am replying you because I perceive your questions arise from the desire to learn.

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by alexleo(m): 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

Same thing here man,whether you believe it or not we are all going back to oblivion after rottening in the grave.

Whatever you want to believe cannot change what is awaiting us after death. I pray you reconsider your stand than facing a horrible eternity full of unending regrets. You know you will have no excuse to give because you were warned but you chose to reject the warning. May God help you. Amen.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 05, 2014
alexleo:

Whatever you want to believe cannot change what is awaiting us after death. I pray you reconsider your stand than facing a horrible eternity full of unending regrets. You know you will have no excuse to give because you were warned but you chose to reject the warning. May God help you. Amen.

Lol,I am not scared of hell, you can't fear me tongue
Take ur fear tactic elsewhere, for all I Care there Ar over 1000 religions and any of them could be the right one tongue
U playing a game of chance man,think well
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by asalimpo(m): 11:30pm On Oct 05, 2014
Dapo777:

This is my original post "If you want to have a reasonable debate with Christians first make them understand that you do not hate "Yahweh", that you are not against Christianity, that you don't think their belief is silly,you just have to appeal to their emotions first and respect their beliefs."

Stop lying,no Where did I ask atheists to keep their opinion of non belief to themselves, there is a difference between stating your own opinion and being rude to other people's beliefs,If you belief God exist,It's not my problem That's your business,I am not trying to change you to an atheist just want those it may concern to know the reasons why I am a nonconformist.
My girlfriend is a Christian,she knows I am an atheist and she didn't stop loving me because of that,she doesn't even try to change me and That's why I love her more,she isn't judgmental,such is true love man. Not the kind of love Yahweh has that makes him kill millions innocent people for Nothing.

Even If Yahweh exist,Chaiii I won't want to serve such a wicked being. Forget about the good things he did,If a man is charged to court and found guilty,the judge won't Remember the good things he has done, and no one cares to see things Through the criminals eyes.

If I kill your Mum and tell you that to me it is not a sin,will u accept that and forget about her death and forgive me immediately, ofcourse not,So you see your sense of justice is as skewed as that of the Bible. I meant asalimpo sense of justice not yours

Edited.

your girlfriend is a churchgoer. Any1 wantg to obey God wont hang with darkness.
What fellowship has Light with darkness.
As for smashg of babies to death , you simply hav no case.
You and the Op ar harping on it like a chant. Enotionalisg the argument.
I asked previously, if The babies
Hitler,Idi amin,stalin,boko haram,osama etc
were ordered killed as babies
wud you cry savagery? Infanticide?
You wudnt. Infact, if ur hav been a victim of boko haram,you'd
smash the founders head with ur bare hands ,if u cud go back in time.
Even then your perception of the gravity of their sin would b incomplete.
If u went back in time and killed baby hitler- how dyu think atheists in tht time would judge you?
How would d law inteprete ur action?
Theyd see it as infanticide.
You'd leached or imprisoned.
You'd b termed a madman and mentally unstable.
People would brand you a murder.
Just like you and other atheists hav branded God.

You've not seen the big picture. And God aint gonna show it to you or explain to you.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 05, 2014
asalimpo:

your girlfriend is a churchgoer. Any1 wantg to obey God wont hang with darkness.
What fellowship has Light with darkness.
As for smashg of babies to death , you simply hav no case.
You and the Op ar harping on it like a chant. Enotionalisg the argument.
I asked previously, if The babies
Hitler,Idi amin,stalin,boko haram,osama etc
were ordered killed as babies
wud you cry savagery? Infanticide?
You wudnt. Infact, if ur hav been a victim of boko haram,you'd
smash the founders head with ur bare hands ,if u cud go back in time.
Even then your perception of the gravity of their sin would b incomplete.
If u went back in time and killed baby hitler- how dyu think atheists in tht time would judge you?
How would d law inteprete ur action?
Theyd see it as infanticide.
You'd leached or imprisoned.
You'd b termed a madman and mentally unstable.
People would brand you a murder.
Just like you and other atheists hav branded God.

You've not seen the big picture. And God aint gonna show it to you or explain to you.

Shutup even ur God said he is surrounded by thick darkness oooo in the Bible,If u Dnt kn den u kn Nothing abt ur Bible....u Ar also a chruchgoer u don't kn ur Bible.
Psalm 97:2
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by DavidKissinger(m): 1:43am On Oct 06, 2014
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by asalimpo(m): 6:38am On Oct 06, 2014
Dapo777:

Shutup even ur God said he is surrounded by thick darkness oooo in the Bible,If u Dnt kn den u kn Nothing abt ur Bible....u Ar also a chruchgoer u don't kn ur Bible.
Psalm 97:2

the bible says God dwells in unapproachable light.
God is identified with light in the bible.
List verses that talk of God and light/darkness.
Did u read verse 10 of the chapter you qouted?
Can you please magnify tht verse as you try to paint God black?

How about james 1v17?
Every good and perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights.

Comes down for who?
For men.
How many good things are from God? "Every good and perfect ... "
meaning God is behind every good invention/technology.

The sun that shines on ur roof today is from Him.
The rain tht falls on your land on the crops of those who hate him and those who despise him and those who love him are from Him.
- matthew 5:45
wen u go on a cruise and bask on the beach,you're enjoying God's
goodness while giving him no glory instead you curse him.

In your God bashg can u please quote this? You cant cuz ur biased.
You'll rather keep mute than quote a verse tht makes God look good.

Anoda verse of God and light.
1Timothy 6:16
" God alone is immortal and
dwells in unapproachable light ... "
NLT says: "light so brilliant no one can approach him .. "

you're an amatuer.
Learn to rightly divide the word of truth . But you need God's help even in that.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 06, 2014
DavidKissinger:

Whoa! I never quite imagined a prompt response. Thank you. cheesy

About your answer, I read it four times or more (not exaggerating) yet, couldn't think of the most appropriate reply to fashion. So here's what I'll do: permit the free flow of words as they come in. I must warn though, it might just be the lengthiest of epistles.

Xcapist, to be utmostly candid, I never for once nursed the idea of questioning you, this session has never, even for a split second been a part of my imagination. My aim was simply to appreciate you, and move on. But somehow, I felt the need to seek answers.
questions are important.

It appears to me your 'anger' towards God is solely stationed on He being a 'murderer'. And believe me, you're not alone here. I often read the Bible, come across such passages and ask myself exact questions. I often wonder why our preachers have to present HIM as 'all perfect' , when only in the Genesis (pun intended) of HIS word, His flaw is readily made glaring to all.

Murder Genocide is just one of Yahweh's many ugly sides, but I find that the most appalling thus it gets the greatest attention.

At first, ALL HE created was 'good' (commonly interpreted as 'perfect') and just few chapters later, HE rues creating man. Does that exude perfection?
No, it doesn't.

But it all gets faulted on the 'Free will' man was granted, right? Free will; one concept I'm yet to completely grasp.
You're not alone, even the bible itself is confused about the issue.

But what if man truly is the architect of his own destruction?

We does man have to always be at fault. David if you bought an appliance today and it starts misbehaving will you blame the appliance or its manufacturer?

Our preachers will invariably shy from the Songs of Solomon. They tell you it's a metaphor, some 'll say it shouldn't be a part of God's Holy book in the first place, No one will ever say what it truly is.
I always saw S of S as a beautiful book.

And pictures depicting the image of our Lord Jesus? I'm yet to see a fierce-looking, Warrior who would lead his army against evil and its forces like the Last Book of Revelation describes. It's always an effeminate-looking-guy, one surrounded by little children, one whom doesn't seem like HE'd hurt a fly.
That's a relic from the Victorian era, I think. A bid to make him more appealing to the sentimentality of the era. "oh sweet baby Jesus, gentle and meek"? Nahh, that's no the real Jesus of the bible.

And when you eventually read about about this same guy rebuking the pharisees, turning the tables of the money changers, making statements like "I've not come to establish peace, but to turn a man against his father..." et cetera, It gets you maddened because the two 'characters' just don't fit. And It's more like a feeling of "this isn't the Jesus I was told about"
now that's the real Jesus. Permit me to reply the rest in a new post.

There you go! our preachers, society, since time imemorial have so emasculated the Lion of Judah that He seemed to be without teeth, without claws..

My point exactly? Your beliefs were initially built on what the society made you or wanted you to believe. And now, you feel you've broken free. You focus on what they never told you.

But it's funny (more hurting than funny though) how 'we' will suddenly take from the spotlight, the ultimate price He paid for our sins- His life.

Oh, I seem to have digressed to a large extent. On being a 'murderer'. What if they were absolutely necessary? I'm not all-knowing, HE is. But have you ever had a pet? let's say a dog or a cat.. How does it react when you try to clip its nails? Defensive? Violent? Why? Because in its defined knowledge, it thinks you're trying to hurt him. Whereas, you're not. Your intention is for its greater good.

And Yes, I've had my fair share of 'nail clipping' too. My experience with HIM is largely based on it. And I know HE exists, and nothing tampers with the faith I have in HIM.

Xcapist, I have just two questions for you, and they go thus:

I remember in one of your entries, you said (I can't remember your exact words, so I'll just twist it) "I guess one doesn't need religion to be moral" something of sort.

My question is.. You were once a Christian. Don't you think these morals imbibed in you owe to the religious ties you hitherto had? If Yes,

Does it not make sense to you that the ultimate fountain of these morals should be moral Himself?

2. What's your overall take on Miracles?

That'll be all for now.

P.S; I realise this may be incoherent.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 06, 2014
ideology:

Oga, i spent time to type a lot i believe will help you, but I lost it, will send you feedback tomorrow.
Am replying you because I perceive your questions arise from the desire to learn.

Eyya. Kpele. I'm waiting for your feedback. Thank you.
Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by davien(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2014
you laugh at muhammed flying to heaven on a winged horse but believe a snake and donkey talked.....hypocrisy! cheesy

1 Like

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 06, 2014
To all who mentioned me: I'm sorry for not replying yet. I've not ignored you, I'm on the move but would reply or at least acknowledge your posts as soon as I find a place to plant my butt.

2 Likes

Re: If The Old Testament Is Of A Perfect God, Why The New Testament?? by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 06, 2014
asalimpo:

the bible says God dwells in unapproachable light.
God is identified with light in the bible.
List verses that talk of God and light/darkness.
Did u read verse 10 of the chapter you qouted?
Can you please magnify tht verse as you try to paint God black?

How about james 1v17?
Every good and perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights.

Comes down for who?
For men.
How many good things are from God? "Every good and perfect ... "
meaning God is behind every good invention/technology.

The sun that shines on ur roof today is from Him.
The rain tht falls on your land on the crops of those who hate him and those who despise him and those who love him are from Him.
- matthew 5:45
wen u go on a cruise and bask on the beach,you're enjoying God's
goodness while giving him no glory instead you curse him.

In your God bashg can u please quote this? You cant cuz ur biased.
You'll rather keep mute than quote a verse tht makes God look good.

Anoda verse of God and light.
1Timothy 6:16
" God alone is immortal and
dwells in unapproachable light ... "
NLT says: "light so brilliant no one can approach him .. "

you're an amatuer.
Learn to rightly divide the word of truth . But you need God's help even in that.

That makes the Bible very contradictory,some Bible verse say God dwells in light some Bible verse say God dwells in DARKNESS as seen in psalm97:2

I am not saying there are no verses Where God dwells in light,What I am saying is that THE BIBLE IS TOO CONTRADICTORY AND HUMANE FOR ME TO TAKE IT SERIOUSLY,.THE BIBLE IS A JOKE!!!!! If there aren't contradictions in the Bible I would take it serious But as the case may be,that is the Bible full of contradictions, its a joke man,stop wasting ur energy on a book that doesn't agree with itself cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . / Ghana Bishop Sam Owusu Apologizes To Jerry Eze / ‘Sam Adeyemi And The Tithe’ by Deji Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.