Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's (18050 Views)

Why Do Some Married Women Enjoy Their Husband Begging For Sex? / HOT TOPIC: Advice For Married Women Denying Their Husband Conjugal "Rights" / Nigerians With English Surnames (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 17, 2014
@freshdude2,

That's why i said it's a partnership, i won't agree and all these things would have been trashed before getting married. It's a two-way thing, if he doesn't allow me to bear my surname and his, he can take a walk.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 11:13am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:
@freshdude2,

That's why i said it's a partnership, i won't agree and all these things would have been trashed before getting married. It's a two-way thing, if he doesn't allow me to bear my surname and his, he can take a walk.

so which names will the kids bear

The husband name or the hyphenated name
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 17, 2014
@pickabeau1,
That's a really funny suggestion. It might be doable to some people, anyway. Even if the name will still end, prolonging the extinction for a generation means something to me.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

so which names will the kids bear

The husband name or the hyphenated name

The husband's name.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 11:18am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

The husband's name.

ok.. good.. so in one generation the so called father's name (still named after a man mind u wink) will still disappear

LOL

crackhaus, freshdude2
please lets allow them to have the name. It will fizzle out sooner..
The children still bear the man's name

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

ok.. good.. so in one generation the so called father's name (still named after a man mind u wink) will still disappear

Is this a battle of the sexes now? LOL. He's my father and i love him and i want to bear his name till the day i die. End of story.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 11:24am On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:

women don't need men actually because they have become their own man. But you don't hear men complaining of being objectified. If anything, the average man wants to be a sex object.
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 11:25am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Is this a battle of the sexes now? LOL. He's my father and i love him and i want to bear his name till the day i die. End of story.

No its not... as i said earlier

You are hustling to keep one man;s name which to me in the principle of anti-patriarchy is warped

Women should bear new names independent of the father and the husband grin grin
That way, no man can say u are an extension of himself

Afterall a father is first of all a man
grin grin
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Who asks him to do more work? And how does he do more work?
I don't agree that the husband is the one who keeps the family a unit. It takes two to tango.
Besides, women have always helped to provide the resources to keep the family healthy, too. They also worked on farms. They also collected food. They cooked.
Women helped in extremely rare instances, where the man was unable to provide. That was the exception not the rule/norm. No be today wey women get more opportunities pass men sef.

pickabeau: Women served men too but were not given any privileges or at least not to the degree men were and this is the problem.
Who did women serve? How did they serve the society? Were they required to protect the society with their lives like men were? How about we flip it? You go to war I tend the kids. I'd say that's
unfair to me. grin

carefree: You are right, many women don't need men to take care of them but this does not mean that they don't need men at all.
If the average man wants to be a s*ex objet then it is his free choice. Let him work on it. Where is the problem?

You should need men for their testoterone becauser that's what makes us manly but these days testoterone is disdained. We are told be in touch with our feminine side, that's good, but we shouldn't be effeminate. We are men we should be manly. Now you only need men for sex, you're all strong women you don't really need men that's the truth. And we're cool with that. What we have a problem with is saying you need us but still require us to do things you can't do and call us insensitive for telling you to fvck off.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 11:33am On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Oh,,, why did u spoil the whole thing..
Lets look at their preferred scenario

So Alex Osifo marries Patience Ozokwor; she becomes Patience Ozokwor-Osifo(to maintain her fathers lineage)
So Chiamaka01.. if the child is called Peter

Will he named Peter Osifo or Peter Ozokwor-Osifo

which...
gringrin

The child will bear Peter Ozokwor-Osifo whether their father likes it or not...the Ozokwor family name must not die.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by cococandy(f): 11:34am On Oct 17, 2014
Much ado about name. Dead people don't hear so they don't know whether the living are carrying on their names or not.

Most families are carrying on with their great grandfathers names. The men don't have their names left behind because their own names don't even go past them as their kids still bear the ancestors' names.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

No its not... as i said earlier

You are hustling to keep one man;s name which to me in the principle of anti-patriarchy is warped

Do you bear your father's name or surname? Do you want your wife and kids to bear it? If yes, does this imply that you are an extension of your dad?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:

Women helped in extremely rare instances, where the man was unable to provide. That was the exception not the rule/norm. No be today wey women get more opportunities pass men sef.

Absolutely wrong.
Women worked on farms just as much as men did.

Who did women serve? How did they serve the society? Were they required to protect the society with their lives like men were? How about we flip it? You go to war I tend the kids. I'd say that's
unfair to me. grin

Do you really think that men and women only serve the society when they go to war? undecided
Just in case you do not know, plenty of women served in wars as nurses, a very important job without which no army could survive in the long run.

Moreover, we have many female soldiers nowadays around the world.

And why should I fight wars that men have initiated?
Do you really expect women to take care of the mess male dominance has created over centuries?
As far as I am informed most wars were initiated under the leadership of men.

You should need men for their testoterone becauser that's what makes us manly but these days testoterone is disdained.

How is testosterone disdained? undecided

We are told be in touch with our feminine side, that's good, but we shouldn't be effeminate.

What makes a man effeminate?

We are men we should be manly.

What makes a man manly?

Now you only need men for sex, you're all strong women you don't really need men that's the truth.

Not true. I need my partner for more than s*ex.
I need him to get me pregnant. I need him to help me raise our children. I need him to support me. I need his advice and more.

And we're cool with that. What we have a problem with is saying you need us but still require us to do things you can't do and call us insensitive for telling you to fvck off.

You are cool with what?
Nobody says men are not needed. I can survive without a man but it doesn't mean I don't want to have a man in my life.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:
@freshdude2,

That means you're a misandrist. Must a man live with you? Are you trying to oppress men? Are you trying to limit the choices of men?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by cococandy(f): 11:41am On Oct 17, 2014
Everyone is literally an extention of their parents
Chiamaka01:

Do you bear your father's name or surname? Do you want your wife and kids to bear it? If yes, does this imply that you are an extension of your dad?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 17, 2014
[quote
author=freshdude2 post=27216965]What we have a problem with is saying you need us but still
require us to do things you can't do and call us insensitive for telling
you to fvck off. [/quote]

Things like
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Okay, you're right. But there is no compulsion to adopt your husband's name, biblically.
Well, the society demanded it and it never caused any problems.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

LOL

crackhaus, freshdude2
please lets allow them to have the name. It will fizzle out sooner..
The children still bear the man's name
It might or might not fizzle out. I'm just trying to help some misguided souls, younger men especially.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 17, 2014
[quote
author=freshdude2 post=27217344]That means you're a misandrist. Must a
man live with you? Are you trying to oppress men? Are you trying to
limit the choices of men?[/quote]

Yes, except if we're in a situation that warrants otherwise. That's how an ideal family should be so that the children can be raised properly by the two parents.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 11:50am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Let me define extension for u

1. stretching, expansion, enlargement, increase, dilation. 3. lengthening, protraction, continuation. 4. delay. 6. limit.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extension

I bear his surname
They will bear it proudly
I am an extension of his.. yes
Because I am doing things he was not able to do.. i am continuing what he stopped

Gerrit?

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
Well, the society demanded it and it never caused any problems.

Well, you're correct. But, we're not under any compulsion to live and make decisions according to the dictate of society.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 11:51am On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
It might or might not fizzle out. I'm just trying to help some misguided souls, younger men especially.

Hmmm.... you have a point
But its not really about the name.. its the interplay of will and compromise

crackhaus:

gringrin

The child will bear Peter Ozokwor-Osifo whether their father likes it or not...the Ozokwor family name must not die.

It must not die oooo....
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Things like
Valentine gifts, engagement and wedding rings, general financial provision, "spoiling you", chivalry, treating you like a woman(yet you behave like men) the list is endless, and the hypocrisy nauseating.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
Valentine gifts, engagement and wedding rings, general financial provision, "spoiling you", chivalry, treating you like a woman(yet you behave like men) the list is endless, and the hypocrisy nauseating.

Sorry but I don't see how I need anything of what you have mentioned. undecided

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

I bear his surname
They will bear it proudly
I am an extension of his.. yes
Because I am doing things he was not able to do.. i am continuing what he stopped

Gerrit?

Thank you for that. We're all extensions of our parents, agreed. But i am not an extension of my husband.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 11:57am On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Thank you for that. We're all extensions of our parents, agreed. But i am not an extension of my husband.

ok
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Yes, except if we're in a situation that warrants otherwise. That's how an ideal family should be so that the children can be raised properly by the two parents.
What if he doesn't want to live with you? I'm beginning to think you're a sadistic misandrist Chiamaka(I love this name btw). Society has demanded that a man, his wife and children live together but he shouldn't live according to the dictates of society. How exactly does living together help the children if hubby doesn't want to live with them. Are you saying that kids raised in single-parent homes are not raised properly?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Hmmm.... you have a point
But its not really about the name.. its the interplay of will and compromise

Ori e pe padi mi. It's about will and compromise. I bottle of shill Zobo for you. grin

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Sorry but I don't see how I need anything of what you have mentioned. undecided
Those are eXamples of chivalry. Do you require your man to be chivalrous or not?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
Those are eXamples of chivalry. Do you require your man to be chivalrous or not?

Chivalrous

(of men)

polite, kind and behaving with honour, especially towards women

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/chivalrous

Yes, I want a polite, kind men who behaves with honor but I don't need him to spend money on me to do so.
By the way, I want everybody to behave in such a way towards others, men and women.

Don't you want a kind, polite woman who behaves with honor?

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 17, 2014
I want him to live with me, because that's my wish not because it's the norm. Yes, i don't think kids raised by single parents are raised well. There is always something lacking in them. The more reason my husband should live with me.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Chivalrous

(of men)

polite, kind and behaving with honour, especially towards women

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/chivalrous

Yes, I want a polite, kind men who behaves with honor but I don't need him to spend money on me to do so.
By the way, I want everybody to behave in such a way towards others, men and women.

Don't you want a kind, polite woman who behaves with honor?
Therefore, you wouldn't mind if your man declined to give you an engagement ring or didn't spoil you or treated you like a woman? grin. Carefree, clean your mouth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family? / Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. / Sad Marital Tales From My Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.