Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's (18059 Views)

Why Do Some Married Women Enjoy Their Husband Begging For Sex? / HOT TOPIC: Advice For Married Women Denying Their Husband Conjugal "Rights" / Nigerians With English Surnames (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote
author=freshdude2 post=27217653]Valentine gifts, engagement and wedding
rings, general financial provision, "spoiling you", chivalry, treating
you like a woman(yet you behave like men) the list is endless, and the
hypocrisy nauseating. [/quote]

I don't desire all these. And any of the spouses can provide these. It doesn't necessarily have to be the man.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 12:15pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:
I want him to live with me, because that's my wish not because it's the norm. Yes, i don't think kids raised by single parents are raised well. There is always something lacking in them. The more reason my husband should live with me.

Are u speaking based on evidence or personal experience

Because if i recall wella on this sexsion, the prevailig ethos is that there is no difference between children of two parent and single homes

grin grin grin
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
Therefore, you wouldn't mind if your man declined to give you an engagement ring or didn't spoil you or treated you like a woman? grin. Carefree, clean your mouth.

I am not a fan of engagement and marriage.I have said it many times.
But if I ever decide to marry then my partner and I will agree on it together. No need to propose. And I am willing to share all costs that come along with the engagement and the wedding. I do not mind doing it at all. It is just fair.

What do you mean by "spoil" me?

And what do you mean by treat me like a woman?
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

I don't desire all these. And any of the spouses can provide these. It doesn't necessarily have to be the man.
So, what exactly do you need a man for except sex? I'd like to know
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote
author=pickabeau1 post=27218247]

Are u speaking based on evidence or personal experience [/quote]

Based on evidence.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
So, what exactly do you need a man for except sex? I'd like to know

Companionship? undecided

3 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Based on evidence.

Interesting. coming from a lady

Most ladies here tell us that a child raised by a single mother is not different and possibly interchangeable from that raised by a man and woman
I was fearful of the marriage instition when they pasted tomes and tomes supporting this

But this.. there is hope ...

TV01, crackhaus, freshdude2.. are u seeing what im seeing
A lady here says there is a difference in the two

There is yet hope grin grin
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote
author=pickabeau1 post=27218453]

Most ladies here tell us that a child raised by a single mother is not
different and possibly interchangeable from that raised by a man and
woman
I was fearful of the marriage instition when they pasted tomes and tomes
supporting this

But this.. there is hope[/quote]

I am fully in support of the marriage institution. What i don't believe in is that the husband is the 'senior partner'.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 12:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

I am fully in support of the marriage institution. What i don't believe in is that the husband is the 'senior partner'.

Equality in marriage...
Your stance is clear.
The workability is another kettle of tea as experience has shown marriage like any institution needs leadership
Some are provided by men, others by women (yes! some women wear the pants in their marriage).. But who knows

Good debate so far

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Equality in marriage...
Your stance is clear.
The workability is another kettle of tea as experience has shown marriage like any institution needs leadership
Some are provided by men, others by women (yes! some women wear the pants in their marriage).. But who knows

Good debate so far

Thanks. smiley Same here.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 17, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I am not a fan of engagement and marriage.I have said it many times.
But if I ever decide to marry then my partner and I will agree on it together. No need to propose. And I am willing to share all costs that come along with the engagement and the wedding. I do not mind doing it at all. It is just fair.

What do you mean by "spoil" me?

And what do you mean by treat me like a woman?

I assume spoiling you and treating you like a woman are self-explanatory. I'm sorry I don't know how to explain those concepts.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Companionship? undecided
Surely, you have friends.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
Surely, you have friends.

Friends don't last forever. I need someone who'll be with me for life and who i can share life with. Friends can't give me that.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Most ladies here tell us that a child raised by a single mother is not different and possibly interchangeable from that raised by a man and woman
I was fearful of the marriage instition when they pasted tomes and tomes supporting this

But this.. there is hope ...

TV01, crackhaus, freshdude2.. are u seeing what im seeing
A lady here says there is a difference in the two

There is yet hope grin grin
Bro the day some females on NL quit speaking/making comments from both sides of their mouth and bending opinions to suit a particular discourse on different threads, is the day I deactivate my account.

I see you also have a good memory, we need it in these days of endless contradictions.

3 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2014
crackhaus:

Bro the day some females on NL quit speaking/making comments from both sides of their mouth and bending opinions to suit a particular discourse on different threads, is the day I deactivate my account.

I see you also have a good memory, we need it in these days of endless contradictions.

Let me know on that day
I will also deactivate mine

Too many contradictions.. Na God go helep us

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
crackhaus:

Bro the day some females on NL quit speaking/making comments from both sides of their mouth and bending opinions to suit a particular discourse on different threads
C'est fini.

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Friends don't last forever. I need someone who'll be with me for life and who i can share life with. Friends can't give me that.
Marriages don't last any longer than other relationships due to nature. The so-called advanced people whom you model your world view after have the shittiest marriage life span records. You'd be better served putting more value into your non-marriage relationships.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 1:16pm On Oct 17, 2014
What exactly is the problem here even? Is it that the women here want to keep only their father's name OR they want to hyphenate both their father's name and that of the husband? undecided

Because I'm thinking if it's the latter, does that not also mean they have to go through the legal process of official name-change to reflect the new hyphenated surname?
And if this is the case, the excuse that it is too complicated undergoing a process of name change to that of the husband is still redundant, because it's the same complicated process they have to go through when adopting the hyphenated surname to affect all documents.

This whole ruckus is not even realistic, just some anonymous internet hullabaloo.

4 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Let me know on that day

I tell ya.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 1:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
crackhaus:
What exactly is the problem here even? Is it that the women here want to keep only their father's name OR they want to hyphenate both their father's name and that of the husband? undecided

Because I'm thinking if it's the latter, does that not also mean they have to go through the legal process of official name-change to reflect the new hyphenated surname?
And if this is the case, the excuse that it is too complicated undergoing a process of name change to that of the husband is still redundant, because it's the same complicated process they have to go through when adopting the hyphenated surname to affect all documents.

This whole ruckus is not even realistic, just some anonymous internet hullabaloo.

LOL..women never knowing what they want since the time of Eve

3 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
@freshdude2

It takes two to make it work. There's someone for everyone. There's someone who shares similar views with me. Thanks for the advice, 'uncle freshdude'. smiley
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by ElFenomeno1: 1:21pm On Oct 17, 2014
This shouldnt be a big deal....... My wife mentioned it before we got married, i simply said whatever rocks your boat

There are other pressing issues to worry about!

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
crackhaus:
the excuse that it is too complicated undergoing a process of name change to that of the husband is still redundant, because it's the same complicated process they have to go through when adopting the hyphenated surname to affect all documents.

I doubt you'll get a sensible response but, fingers crossed.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Let me know on that day

Permit me to chip this in. There are too many contradictions because there are a lot of females. You don't expect us to view life through the same glass, do you?

2 Likes

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Tallesty1(m): 1:27pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:
Bearing one's husband's name has no point.
My dear it does.
I'm not saying it is a must but we should always remember that tried and true traditions exist for a reason, because they work, it avoids long term problems of which can be avoided if you follow them. Taking your husbands name represents the commitment between you and your husband. It means you are now a new family unit. You are starting your own family and having the same surname as your husband and children is important.
Chiamaka01:

It doesn't make her a better wife nor him a better husband.
It does in a way, When a woman agrees to take the man's name she agrees to be "husbanded" by him. That a man would get on bended knee and promise to love and cherish you forever should make you want to have his name. So if you refuse then it means you are selfish and selfish women are bad material
Chiamaka01:
It doesn't make the marriage perfect. So, if it's useless, it should be done away with.
Listen. One day, a little bird and a mighty river were having a little argument. The river bragged how big it is............ How its waves could crush the little bird. The little didn't know what to say for the river is indeed great. But something remarkable happened, the little bird jumped down from the branch of a tree, walked to the river, took a little drink, flew back to the tree and then fired back at the river. "I know that you are mighty and strong but this little drink i took has reduced your size and you no longer big as before"

Well, it sounds crazy but there is truth in it............ Even the river did not notice it but fact still remains that something has gone out of it.

You don't know the value of N10 until you want to purchase something worth N1000 and you have only N990.

Yea keeping his name or your name may not make any difference but soon, if we keep making all this unnecessary changes marriage will loose it's taste and no one will wish to marry again.
Chiamaka01:

Or is there any point?
Yea.... You said that taking his name make her a good wife which is true but do you think a woman who fight over worthless issues like this is worth keeping? Do you think a good wife material will go about fighting minor things as this?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by crackhaus: 1:33pm On Oct 17, 2014
freshdude2:
I doubt you'll get a sensible response but, fingers crossed.
Oh well...
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Permit me to chip this in. There are too many contradictions because there are a lot of females. You don't expect us to view life through the same glass, do you?

True but the trend is the same

I can't pinpoint the thread now but it's a very popular theme here

There is difference between kids raised singly of doubly.

Earlier u called someone a misogynist because u did not agree with his POV
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
@Tallesty1,
You misunderstood the topic. Let me paint a picture. If Stef John and Alex Smith decide to get married, is there anything wrong in Stef bearing Stef John-Smith? Bear in mind that the kids will bear Smith.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 17, 2014
pickabeau1:

Earlier u called someone a misogynist because u did not agree with his POV

How many times do i have to say it? I called him a misogynist because he said, 'a woman is an extension of her husband'.

1 Like

Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Tallesty1(m): 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:
@Tallesty1,
You misunderstood the topic. Let me paint a picture. If Stef John and Alex Smith decide to get married, is there anything wrong in Stef bearing Stef John-Smith? Bear in mind that the kids will bear Smith.

Read the comment that I replied.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by pickabeau1: 1:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
Chiamaka01:

How many times do i have to say it? I called him a misogynist because he said, 'a woman is an extension of her husband'.

Hmm.....so because he did not agree with u...

Do you know what misogynist means

noun
a person who hates, dislikes, mistrusts, or mistreats women.
Re: On Ladies Hyphenating Their Surnames And Their Husband's by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
[quote
author=ElFenomeno1 post=27219791]This shouldnt be a big deal....... [/quote]

I wonder why it should.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family? / Advice Needed From Mothers And Doctors In The House. / Sad Marital Tales From My Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.