Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Adjusting To Life As A Widower - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adjusting To Life As A Widower (122952 Views)

Poll: How has this thread helped you to appreciate your spouse better and positively affect your relationship?

Very Positive: 90% (9 votes)
Good: 0% (0 votes)
Fair: 10% (1 vote)
Not Really: 0% (0 votes)
Not At All: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Bounces Back To Life After Three Days In Morgue (Photo) / Getting Married To A Widower / Adjusting To Parenthood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 05, 2012
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 07, 2012
Van Vicker ke? I have gone back to my 2003 crush, Ramsey nouah, after watching two of his recent movies 2 days ago embarassed

Lmao @ donkey. That girl is a handful grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 4:47pm On Apr 07, 2012
Well, in my case, I'm happy my kids were born in naija, so they already have the culture and discipline in them. My daughter can still speak yoruba, but my son can only understand it now. They won't be going until they are well into their teens and know their left from their right. Have too many bad memories in that country, so my kids stay put for now. Hopefully, I'll be married by the time they go. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:17pm On May 08, 2012
serubawon: Well, in my case, I'm happy my kids were born in naija, so they already have the culture and discipline in them. *My daughter can still speak yoruba, but my son can only understand it now.* They won't be going until they are well into their teens and know their left from their right. Have too many bad memories in that country, so my kids stay put for now. #Hopefully, I'll be married by the time they go. grin#
Mr Serubawon, what a transformation you have gone through. You are truly a source of inspiration to me and to others whether you know it or not. This thread is still 'alive' because you take time to acknowledge people's comments. For doing this, you are the definition of a real gentleman in my lexicon.

Nigeria is not that bad nao. You have these observations you stay outside the country and have been exposed to the way things are done the 'non-Nigerian' way coupled with the none too impressive stories you hear and read about Nigeria.

To the bolded parts:
*Please let them be versed in their mother tongue esp. your son. It shouldn't be English everytime. You can help him by speaking it to him and make him watch films too.
#Whatsoever a man desireth, that shall he get. This is your desire and it shall not be cut short. It will happen as you have said it, aaaaaaaamen!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 2:19pm On May 08, 2012
ferhyntorlah:
Mr Serubawon, what a transformation you have gone through. You are truly a source of inspiration to me and to others whether you know it or not. This thread is still 'alive' because you take time to acknowledge people's comments. For doing this, you are the definition of a real gentleman in my lexicon.

Nigeria is not that bad nao. You have these observations you stay outside the country and have been exposed to the way things are done the 'non-Nigerian' way coupled with the none too impressive stories you hear and read about Nigeria.

To the bolded parts:
*Please let them be versed in their mother tongue esp. your son. It shouldn't be English everytime. You can help him by speaking it to him and make him watch films too.
#Whatsoever a man desireth, that shall he get. This is your desire and it shall not be cut short. It will happen as you have said it, aaaaaaaamen!

Thank you for your kind words. People on this thread have been very encouraging and I'm grateful for it. My kids have no choice but to speak and understand yoruba (especially when they are in trouble). Amen to your prayers. I embrace them 'tori torun' grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by spoilt(f): 3:30am On May 16, 2012
Its been a while good people. People that just returned from Naija where are the goodies? @ Serubawon what exactly traumatized you? Too many chicas trying to get a piece of you? Or just the mosquitos? Lol.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 1:08am On May 17, 2012
@spoilt
I don't blame serubobo. I just came back from an extended holiday and even my own heart sunk when I got home. Mosquitoes, light and slow internet speed! And this is comg from me who is fiercely patriotic

Solvg internet speed by Friday - changing provider pronto

But that light matter kai e pain me. The loss we have as a nation simply because we can't get Power right?

Anyways how have you been

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 10:52am On May 17, 2012
salsera: @spoilt
I don't blame serubobo. I just came back from an extended holiday and even my own heart sunk when I got home. Mosquitoes, light and slow internet speed! And this is comg from me who is fiercely patriotic

Solvg internet speed by Friday - changing provider pronto

But that light matter kai e pain me. The loss we have as a nation simply because we can't get Power right?

Anyways how have you been

Did you take anti malaria meds before going? I was so stubborn about it cos I hate taking meds. I was the only one that refused to take it, and I was the only that fell seriously sick when we came back cheesy .

For 3 solid weeks, there was no power supply from NEPA. undecided
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 10:47pm On May 18, 2012
jennykadry:

Did you take anti malaria meds before going? I was so stubborn about it cos I hate taking meds. I was the only one that refused to take it, and I was the only that fell seriously sick when we came back cheesy .

For 3 solid weeks, there was no power supply from NEPA. undecided

I was even more stubborn about anti-malarial drugs. I must have thought I was invincible. 3 days into my visit I had 'isinu' and looked like I was malnourished. Forget about Nepa. You get tired of generator after a while, especially the noise and not attracting attention to yourself when you use it all night. Traffic nko? Unbelievable. Internet? just forget that one. I didn't browse the internet until I was awaiting my connection in Frankfurt to return to Houston (after my visit o). The disappointment was just too overwhelming for me. However, it is something that has to be done every once in a while. So, how for do? grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 12:03am On May 19, 2012
just to clarify I live in Naija so my extended holiday was outside Nigeria.

Internet connection? i've switched to Swift so Im good. Besides I understand trouble providers have with good connections so I've stopped 'bitching'. I just cant afford to waste my time on slow connections so if one provider has broken the jinx then I move on. Although large corporations tend to have their own servers so speed there as fast as the rest of the world
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 6:38am On May 19, 2012
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 7:10am On May 19, 2012
chaircover: i think it is the mindset. We go with a mind of going "home" to have a holiday and enjoying ourselves. The kids go every year so it is becoming second nature to them. This last time the older kid was in charge of the gen (with supervision of course)

Our internet connection is visaphone modem and it is fast enough for what we want it to do. To be honest if we weren't out and about, they were at home playing on their consoles so they didn't really need a super duper fast connection all of the time.

I dont know if it is because its another home away from home, that has affored them to settle much more easier. We dont stay with relatives and so it is me running the household as I would in the UK, as in its my rules which they are already used to.

Because they have their own weight allowances they carry all the things that they want. I dont use their suitcases to pack my stuff, and madam managed to pack her 29 bratz dolls shocked
We pack freezer bags of their frozen food favorites other dry foods that they like. I even packed a 5kg bag of the rice brand that they eat. So they have no choice but to enjoy Naija or I give them egba shocked grin

The traffic situation; For journeys that I knew will have traffic, Kids had a mini travel bag each; in it was a charged up hand held console, games, drinks, sweets, books, notebook and pen plus they each have a portable DVD player. If I hear any complaint from them pere, na cane be dat grin

I think it's easier when you have a place you're familiar with. When I go back, I stay in the house I grew up in. My teenage room is still the same (although it has been renovated and all my 2pac and DMX posters are gone! angry). My mum knows everything I like so I never have any headaches. She knows to reserve one driver plus one Eshin for my use (God forbid I brave Lagos traffic by myself) and to load up on Eva. She knows I don't play with my internet so she has her assistant triple check that it's good to go and the card is loaded up. She makes sure the diesel tank is full and she knows to tell everybody that the gen cannot be turned off until I am verifiable asleep around midnight and it must be turned on by 6am (they also know to "fleet" my room every evening). She knows that I don't eat outside the house so she makes sure all the foods I like are well stocked (I must chop Bush meat + snails + amala/pounded yam every night oh or fight go dey! Too bad she refuses adamantly to stock beer in her house!).

My mum still likes to live like a village woman with minimal generator and no internet, so I know my visits always cause her to go the extra mile. To make her "more eager", I give her 2k per week for "owo obe". My mama too like dollars, she has never refused the money but it's worth it cuz I have never had cause to complain after a trip home (i honestly couldn't get better treatment at a 5-star hotel). Bottom line, if you go regularly enough, your people will know how you like things and make sure you have a stress-free trip (just make sure you "grease" their hands well-well so they don't think you're a giant leach). Prepare better next time bros!

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 7:36am On May 19, 2012
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 7:41am On May 19, 2012
chaircover:

So Its confirmed; Our only male cabal member is a mummys boy . . . awwwwwwwwww grin grin kiss

I have never been ashamed of being a mama's boy! She loves me and I love her back! Iya ni wura. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 7:54am On May 19, 2012
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 8:07am On May 19, 2012
chaircover: Yes oooooooo! So to make her even more happy, try and work quickly on bringing her a good woman and lots of grandkids

All in God's time. In between ladies right now (the last one was a flop Ijebu woman angry). I still get ~5yrs before I become a candidate for serious prayer and fasting. There's no rush oh! grin grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 9:12pm On May 19, 2012
moremi2008:

All in God's time. In between ladies right now (the last one was a flop Ijebu woman angry). I still get ~5yrs before I become a candidate for serious prayer and fasting. There's no rush oh! grin grin

Watch it bro, you're about to walk smack into a trap about the wifey thingy. "flop Ijebu woman"........bro, I fear for you right now. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 10:45am On May 20, 2012
serubawon:

Watch it bro, you're about to walk smack into a trap about the wifey thingy. "flop Ijebu woman"........bro, I fear for you right now. grin

Madam CC already knows I have issues with Ijebu women! LOL! grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 1:37pm On May 20, 2012
Ok. If you say so. I got your back anyway.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 20, 2012
serubobo dont mind that moremi rascal. On top all his Cambridge, oxford and Harvard degrees he still doesn't know that you cant generalize a whole community cool grin

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 3:12pm On May 21, 2012
chaircover: serubobo dont mind that moremi rascal. On top all his Cambridge, oxford and Harvard degrees he still doesn't know that you cant generalize a whole community cool grin

Whatever grin Keep denying that your peoples are a bit tough to handle!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 8:31pm On May 21, 2012
@moremi2008. Not saying I told you so wink
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Freesia(f): 4:01am On May 22, 2012
Awww Shucks!!! So what happens to people who can't afford generators and Nepa is on strike for weeks on end??
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 8:11am On May 22, 2012
Freesia: Awww Shucks!!! So what happens to people who can't afford generators and Nepa is on strike for weeks on end??

They suffer in silence, roast in their own body-heat, and sing-along with the mosquitoes. Their lot won't get any better until they realize that they deserve better and go fight for their rights on the streets. Nothing good comes to those who wait in perpetuity.

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 4:53pm On May 22, 2012
moremi2008:

They suffer in silence, roast in their own body-heat, and sing-along with the mosquitoes. Their lot won't get any better until they realize that they deserve better and go fight for their rights on the streets. Nothing good comes to those who wait in perpetuity.

True!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 5:55pm On May 22, 2012
Freesia: Awww Shucks!!! So what happens to people who can't afford generators and Nepa is on strike for weeks on end??

Nepa doesn't need to be on strike. Their mere existence is an absence of electricity.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Freesia(f): 9:02pm On May 22, 2012
moremi2008:

Oma se o! That's just too bad...Initially I was thinking of those in the cities I'm imagining kids doing their home work in the dark,food going bad in the fridge/freezer.From my memory when my grandparents were still alive in the mid eighties they were creative with the way they lived without power in the village because they didn't grow up with it in the first place
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Freesia(f): 9:12pm On May 22, 2012
serubawon:

Nepa doesn't need to be on strike. Their mere existence is an absence of electricity.

Didn't know of a better way to say other than strike.To be in 2012 and to think that having Electricity 247 as luxury is totally wrong
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by moremi2008(m): 12:12am On May 23, 2012
Freesia:

Didn't know of a better way to say other than strike.To be in 2012 and to think that having Electricity 247 as luxury is totally wrong

The funny thing is that I used to be anguished at the state of things in Nigeria until I realized that the Nigerians that are truly suffering don't really care! Even in America where things are relatively well-run, people protest ALL THE TIME for things like union wages, civil rights, police brutality etc. Nigerians just sit there and wait for God to intervene and "touch the heart" of their leaders. Well, we have been waiting for 52years and nothing has happened so far. Maybe God is testing them like he tested Job or maybe they just have not suffered enough.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Freesia(f): 1:03am On May 23, 2012
moremi2008:

The funny thing is that I used to be anguished at the state of things in Nigeria until I realized that the Nigerians that are truly suffering don't really care! ". Maybe God is testing them like he tested Job or maybe they just have not suffered enough.

Ever speak to people really suffering back home and they are mostly jolly or joking I mean many of them are really hopeful still talking about their dreams and goals while some folk in the west who are suffering mainly sink into depression or become bitter....Sorry Mr Serubawon we've derailed your post
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 5:40pm On May 24, 2012
Freesia:

Sorry Mr Serubawon we've derailed your post

It was bound to happen sooner or later. cheesy
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by prittigrrr(f): 9:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
smiley Howdy

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (44) (Reply)

17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) / Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses / Soldier Catches Wife With Another Man, Parades Them Both Naked In Public. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.