Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Adjusting To Life As A Widower - Family (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adjusting To Life As A Widower (122768 Views)

Poll: How has this thread helped you to appreciate your spouse better and positively affect your relationship?

Very Positive: 90% (9 votes)
Good: 0% (0 votes)
Fair: 10% (1 vote)
Not Really: 0% (0 votes)
Not At All: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Bounces Back To Life After Three Days In Morgue (Photo) / Getting Married To A Widower / Adjusting To Parenthood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by oluite(f): 4:04pm On Jul 18, 2012
@Serubawon
So very happy.Its such a beautiful story of happy endings that you deserve.Cant wait to read the rest.

@prittigrr
Congratulations.Its a beautiful day to see two happy endings.wow! wow!! wow!!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2012
@serubobo
Sooo she's read this thread, cool

I like her even more
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by keji56: 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2012
I seldom respond to any threads but this takes the cake. I am so impressed and it gives hope to those of us that are waiting for Mr. Right after weathering a storm. Many thanks to Mr. Serubawon
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by prittigrrr(f): 3:07am On Jul 19, 2012
@Serubawon, it was 10 years but he wasn't just waiting I promise you. He had his adventures I'm sure. When it came to him, I was a hard woman and I was mean to him. I would have given up on me. I'm so happy now I can't believe it! Out of hurt and pain joy has sprung! I'm so happy for you and your kids. You are such a blessed man and I'm so glad God has blessed you all again!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 6:17am On Jul 22, 2012
Conclusion to my story. I think we were almost 3 months into our relationship, and she comes to visit. My kids are older and they take her daughter like a baby sister. I think her daughter has a little crush on my son and follows him all over the place. My daughter plays big sister all the time and I think they drive her nuts, but it's a healthy mix - 12, 10 and 6. My sisters get along with her pretty well. My little sister is a colonel in the USAF, and based in another state, but they gossip on the phone from time to time. My immediate junior sister knew her before me, so they're friends anyway.

At one point in the relationship, she broke up with me without warning. Apparently, I was getting way too close and she was getting uncomfortable with the vulnerability issues. I didn't freak out, just told her I understood and left her alone for about a week. After a week, she calls and says she's miserable and can't stand the fact that we're not even talking. I tell her it's her ball game. I understand where she's coming from and the trust issues and she can just take her time, no rush. From then on, it was smooth sailing (mostly). It's not a perfect relationship (does a perfect relationship exist?), but we really get along pretty good. Now, she's possessive and kinda jealous (i don't think that's bad). She spoils me with stuff (I'm still not used to that), I met her mom and sister on my last trip to naija and they're pretty cool. One time, she told me she thinks I'm the smartest guy she's ever known (or something like that). That made me feel good inside. She respects me a lot asks for what I think on EVERYTHING! It's been almost 9 months now and we're still getting stronger. She's in the 'marriage' mode now, where we're planning where and what kind of house to buy, furniture, kids' schools, colors etc. i guess I'll leave that to her, my concern is the bottom line amount and cost.

She actually knows my passwords. No woman (even my late wife) knew that. Her independence is crazy sometimes. She's used to standing on her own, but she's beginning to understand that no one can totally stand alone. It's one thing being alone, it's a completely different thing to be lonely.

I'm truly happy and it's been a veeeerrryyyy long time since I've been that. I'm so grateful to God that I don't compare her to my late wife. I truly thought that I would forever do that. Their personalities are so far apart and different, I've never sat down to compare. I can truly say with all confidence that this is the first time since my late wife passed on, that I have not really thought about her. For the past 8 years, on every xmas eve, I write something about her on my facebook page that puts people to tears. I've made up my mind to end that and finally let her go. I guess it took God to give me 'olori', to get me to finally let go.

So, I'm starting a new journey. It will have its pitfalls, but together, we'll surmount them. I've been thinking that when we finally have 2 days to our wedding, I'll post pictures up here. At that time, I believe that this thread can finally come to an end and I don't have to be anonymous anymore.

So, that's it. Wish me the best.

9 Likes

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by horny4u(f): 7:46am On Jul 22, 2012
I read this with tears in my eyes. God bless your union!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 8:43am On Jul 22, 2012
Sorry. Forgot to thank everyone (again). Seems like the post (with it's starts and stutters) will finally come to an end sometime in the not too distant future.

Thanking everyone who contributed (especially my sistas who had my back from the very beginning : ChairCover, Jennykadry, prittigrrr, sisi kill, spoilt, salsera, bettmafy, ikamefa and a whole lot of others (sorry for not naming you). It's been a great ride and I'm grateful. Also thanking 'Analytical" (wherever he is) and not forgetting the one person who actually made me lose my cool on the thread :MOBO? I even appreciate him (i think).

I've received PMs from people who said this thread has made an impact on them in one way or another. That's nice. God made that possible, not me. Life can throw you some very wild curves. Some people recover, some don't. I'm grateful for being amongst those that have recovered. 6 years of being on nairaland has been very interesting. I think this is one of the best forum platforms in the world (kudos to Seun). I sure hope he's making some money from all this.

Well, I'm signing off. Kids on vacation, girlfriend on vacation and I finally have some peace and quiet (which is seldom). I'm not complaining. I just enjoy my own company a lot and I seldom get the chance to do that these days. cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by ferhyntorlah(f): 1:13pm On Jul 22, 2012
serubawon:

At one point in the relationship, she broke up with me without warning. Apparently, I was getting way too close and she was getting uncomfortable with the vulnerability issues.I didn't freak out, just told her I understood and left her alone for about a week. After a week, she calls and says she's miserable and can't stand the fact that we're not even talking. I tell her it's her ball game. I understand where she's coming from and the trust issues and she can just take her time, no rush.

So, that's it. Wish me the best.

Mr Serubawon, I feel so much joy in my heart reading the latest events in your life. God has indeed been good to you sir. The bolded parts indicate you possess so much wisdom; you seem to know how to handle relationship matters without stress.

I have gained a lot from this thread. To some people, this saying has become a cliche but to me, it still holds water:"The patient dog eats the fattest bone". Your patience is a big virtue, which is lacking in some men nowadays.

Men like you make me look forward to marriage; men that are highly filled with wisdom, slow to anger and know how to resolve issues with maturity. Olori, if you're reading this you are very lucky, highly blessed and favoured to have Mr Serubawon in your life.

I wish you all the best as you begin a new chapter in your life.

PS: It would be nice if you take up a counselling assignment to inspire and motivate people especially young men and women.
ALL THE BEST!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by braveheart2012(m): 1:25am On Jul 23, 2012
I am super-happy for you. However, I think you should stop revealing so much information about yourself and your family on here. It's just not wise. Save some of the details for only both of you to savor later when you grow old and grey together. Your story is inspiring enough as it is. You don't need to put too much of yourself out here for everybody and anybody to see. It's a small world and whatever goes on the Internet stays on there forever. Good luck!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 2:02am On Jul 23, 2012
braveheart2012: I am super-happy for you. However, I think you should stop revealing so much information about yourself and your family on here. It's just not wise. Save some of the details for only both of you to savor later when you grow old and grey together. Your story is inspiring enough as it is. You don't need to put too much of yourself out here for everybody and anybody to see. It's a small world and whatever goes on the Internet stays on there forever. Good luck!

@braveheart2012. Very true. Look at it this way. It was a way to exorcise my demons and deal with my issues in the only way I knew how. If you actually look at it, how much personal info is actually here? Any friend of mine would see this thread and know it was me instantly. I have no secrets and no skeletons to hide, but you do have a very valid point. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by braveheart2012(m): 3:01am On Jul 23, 2012
serubawon:

@braveheart2012. Very true. Look at it this way. It was a way to exorcise my demons and deal with my issues in the only way I knew how. If you actually look at it, how much personal info is actually here? Any friend of mine would see this thread and know it was me instantly. I have no secrets and no skeletons to hide, but you do have a very valid point. Thank you

I wasn't referring to anything you have posted so far. My comments were directed towards your plans to post pictures in the future. Nothing you have posted so far is too personal (your friends will know who you are but a complete stranger won't be able to identify you). However, posting pictures would definitely be a bit too much. Again, good luck and God bless!

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:27am On Jul 23, 2012
@braveheart2012. I understand. This is about the 3rd time I've promised to paste pictures and I always change my mind. Don't worry. Being incognito is what makes the forum thrive. It will remain that way. Once again, thanks for everything. Take care.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 23, 2012
I read somewhere that best is the enemy of better so i wish you better all the way.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by frmglorytoglory: 4:29pm On Jul 24, 2012
I am a sucker for romance any day any time. I read the whole thing frm pg one to last page. You deserve to be happy again. And thank God ur kids get along and are happy with ur new beau. I imagine she will bring laughter and joy to ur lifes again like 'maria' ! May the lord bless u all abundantly.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by suigeneris12: 11:43am On Jul 29, 2012
This is a nice thread. Thanks to all who have been an encouragement to Mr Serubawon.
Is it possible to chat with you, Mr Serubawon sometime? But not on this platform
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 4:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
suigeneris12: This is a nice thread. Thanks to all who have been an encouragement to Mr Serubawon.
Is it possible to chat with you, Mr Serubawon sometime? But not on this platform

@suigeneris12. It would really help if I know what you want to chat about? Send me a PM. If you don't get a reply, please let me know. My listed email here is not my real email (for obvious reasons), but I do check it from time to time.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by suigeneris12: 8:42am On Aug 03, 2012
serubawon:

@suigeneris12. It would really help if I know what you want to chat about? Send me a PM. If you don't get a reply, please let me know. My listed email here is not my real email (for obvious reasons), but I do check it from time to time.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by LFJ: 4:56pm On Aug 03, 2012
Congratulation Mr. Serubawon, your story is inspiring and soul lifting. How I get hook to this tread? I don't know. From the first page to the last are very interesting. The contributions of the women in the house add salt and peppe to everything. It is not always easy telling your own story especially in the part of our world, I praise you for this. The stuff we got on this tread is no doubt a reflection your age, experience and level of matuarity.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 1:48am On Aug 11, 2012
LFJ: Congratulation Mr. Serubawon, your story is inspiring and soul lifting. How I get hook to this tread? I don't know. From the first page to the last are very interesting. The contributions of the women in the house add salt and peppe to everything. It is not always easy telling your own story especially in the part of our world, I praise you for this. The stuff we got on this tread is no doubt a reflection your age, experience and level of matuarity.

Thank you. I sincerely appreciate that.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:50am On Aug 11, 2012
@ suigeneris12. I got your email. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I was out of town. You'll be seeing my reply soonest. Very interesting analogy.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 11:43am On Aug 20, 2012
@suigeneris12. Just sent you a reply. Once again, sorry it took so long. Cheers.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 2:17pm On Sep 12, 2012
serubawon: . . . Also thanking 'Analytical' (wherever he is) . . .

Serubawon, so love has finally found you!!! It's surely been a bumpy ride. They say all is well that ends well. Happy to hear this has ended, or rather almost ending, well. I am so happy for you and Olori. I pray all the years lost be restored seven-fold in a glorious and blissful union. You are a man that has been tempered by love, pain, loss, agony, self-control, patience, long-suffering, endurance, hope, love (again!) and finally self-rediscovery! Surely you are on your way to recovery. She will, no doubt, be in safe hands. Congrats, man! You deserve the best there is.

So much was happening on all fronts that kept me away from NL.

Cheers.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 1:30am On Sep 13, 2012
shocked shocked shocked
Na d same analytical be dis? I always appreciated your posts

Wow... Nice to know you are well.
Our dear serubobo has found olori.

Do you still counsel?
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 8:56am On Sep 13, 2012
prittigrrr: Serubawon is a prophet. I reconciled with my ex. With prayer, fasting, and godly counsel, we remarried after 10 years divorced. He was my friend and waited 8 years the first time for me to see he loved me. He is a patient man. For 10 years he waited for God to melt my heart and allow his return to it. When I lost my grandparents and suffered in my career, he became a listening ear. He did every task I required of him without complaint. Our families were so happy for our reconciliation. I'm blessed.

This thread is a classic- complete with plots, side-plots and even comic reliefs!! Congrats Prittigrrr! This is so amazing. I am so happy for you. What a journey this has been. I pray the Lord make you both better than what you were and more fit for each other. You have the benefit of hindsight now and you have been given back your lives to live again, so to say. Please make a splendid time of it. Love to Mr Prittigrrr.

Like they say in Nollywood, "To God be the glory"!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 13, 2012
Analytical:

Serubawon, so love has finally found you!!! It's surely been a bumpy ride. They say all is well that ends well. Happy to hear this has ended, or rather almost ending, well. I am so happy for you and Olori. I pray all the years lost be restored seven-fold in a glorious and blissful union. You are a man that has been tempered by love, pain, loss, agony, self-control, patience, long-suffering, endurance, hope, love (again!) and finally self-rediscovery! Surely you are on your way to recovery. She will, no doubt, be in safe hands. Congrats, man! You deserve the best there is.

So much was happening on all fronts that kept me away from NL.

Cheers.

Years lost As in
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 9:13am On Sep 13, 2012
wink wink cheesy
salsera: shocked shocked shocked
Na d same analytical be dis? I always appreciated your posts

Wow... Nice to know you are well.
Our dear serubobo has found olori.

Do you still counsel?

Salsera dear, na the same Analytical o, another one is a counterfeit! Thanks for your comments. I am well- just so occupied with a lot of things, lost someone close, had health challenge, busy at work, and now at the very edge of a breakthrough!

I can see Serubobo has finally found the one that went missing for 8 years! I am so glad for our friend. Seems we have to have that wedding here on NL! His story has touched us all and I am glad it has a happy ending.

As for you Salsera, you sure added some flavours. Your sense of humour, inquisitive and curious nature and love of adventure are all worth commending. Keep it up. Someone must be watching wink

Do I still counsel? Bring it on!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 9:21am On Sep 13, 2012
Ujujoan:

Years lost As in

Uju, Uju, Uju, how many times did I call you? Don't look for my trouble so early this morning o! I am not yet in my full stride. I guess we have to ask Serubobo to throw more light on that cheesy

How have you been BTW?
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 13, 2012
Analytical:

Uju, Uju, Uju, how many times did I call you? Don't look for my trouble so early this morning o! I am not yet in my full stride. I guess we have to ask Serubobo to throw more light on that cheesy

How have you been BTW?

LMAO . . . oya I withdraw my question! grin grin

I've been ok . . . Thanks to God.

Glad to know things are getting better for you . . and that we'll be seeing more of you. We missed you cool cool
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 8:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
@Analytical. My brother from another mother. Nice hearing from you and yes, I have been blessed with 'olori'. It's a nice feeling and I'm enjoying it. Praying along with you that your breakthrough is permanent IJN.

@Ujujoan. I think what analytical meant was all the years between now and when my late wife passed are considered lost years of marital happiness, I guess. I'm looking forward to making up for lost time.

Finally made up my mind to write a book. Still trying to figure out whether I'm using my NL name or my real name for it. Guess that will sort itself out in time. Guess who's screen names are going to be in front receiving thanks wink
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by blaise26abj(m): 5:13pm On Sep 21, 2012
I have drawn so much strength in this trend. May God bless everyone involved. I don't think this trend should end (i hope the moderators get to read this). It is timeless and full of wisdom. it is only mature minds that exist here and i find that refreshing. Again, may the new-found joy never diminish.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 22, 2012
@serubabawon

Awwww - I think you should ,code all the names jare

@analytical
God is on the throne - no shaking

Kai! i don miss you, you know this anonymous thing can make your mind run wild when you dont see posts from people. You start to wonder are they okay?

NL - has started its madness again so I keep myself to sane threads (they are few and far inbetween)

It was good to hear a mans point of view.
Will keep you in prayers - but drop in from time to time.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by ikamefa(f): 11:30pm On Sep 22, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked breezing in " grin "
cheesy
@seru my own be say i want to carry gele and dance alanta plus azonto and wetin dem dey call dis iyanya (kukere) dance oh yah wedding cheesy

congratulations oh
just do e-invite shikena !!!!!
stay blessed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (44) (Reply)

Man Shares Picture After First Sex With His Virgin Wife (Viewers Discretion) / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) / Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.