Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Adjusting To Life As A Widower - Family (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adjusting To Life As A Widower (122921 Views)

Poll: How has this thread helped you to appreciate your spouse better and positively affect your relationship?

Very Positive: 90% (9 votes)
Good: 0% (0 votes)
Fair: 10% (1 vote)
Not Really: 0% (0 votes)
Not At All: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Bounces Back To Life After Three Days In Morgue (Photo) / Getting Married To A Widower / Adjusting To Parenthood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by emerald1(f): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2013
God u are so gud,thank you for making him smile at last.I pray dis gud work u hav startted in his life u will surely complete it.can't bellieve I spent 2hours reading this.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 5:09pm On Jan 03, 2013
Winneygirl: @Serubawon & Tgirl4real,
P.S: Dis epistle requires some 'Analytical' skills. Where art thou??

Winneygirl, here I am, ma'am- thanks to Tgirl!

You are most welcome to this never-ending thread full of encouragement and hope.

How do U remain in a state of being 'hopeful'?

How do I start this? I wish I can say it is easy to always remain hopeful in the face of trials, challenges, tribulations, situations and circumstances of life. I guess you are a Christian, so permit me to steer my response in that direction.

The Lord says, in this world we will have tribulations. They must come. Those mountain top experiences don’t always remain so, no matter how we all want them to remain so. There will also be the valley experiences. But cheer up, He is the God of the mountain as much as the God of the valley! He said “be of good cheer for I have overcome the world”.

In addition to what my good friends Serubawon and Tgirl have just said, let me add my two cents. This may get a bit long but I will try and split it up.

1) The place of the Holy Spirit

I know of a place where it is easy! A place where you can run to when the billows of life try to cover you. It is high up in the Spirit! In those times when you are about to descend into that valley, switch over to the Spirit and fly away! Comfort and encouragement are available right up there. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Comfort. The Lord said He won’t leave us comfortless but He will send us another Comforter. Connect to that Comforter- He makes the yoke easy to bear and the burdens of life easier to carry.

2) The place of encouraging yourself in the Lord

There will always come a time when like David we cry until there is no more tear and strength. Wives and children taken captive in Ziglag, city burnt down, properties burnt down and no hope again. Even friends and servants started to stone him for bringing the calamity upon them. But David encouraged himself in the Lord. And strength came, assurance came, and hope came alive. How did he do it? I am sure he started singing psalms, meditating on the goodness of God in times past, thinking about how He delivered him in times past. He must have meditated on the Word of God and His testimonies, knowing that the present situation too shall pass!

3) The place of faith in God's Word and His Promises

Do I talk about Abraham? And the hopelessness of his own situation? People must have mocked him over the years calling himself the father of many nations when he didn't even have a single child! It couldn't have been easy for father Abraham. Years after years when it seems it won't happen for him. What did he do? He held on to God's Word for Him. He kept the faith. He kept reminding himself of God's promise. You too can do the same. It is a sure way of remaining hopeful, knowing fully well that God cannot lie! That one day, it will come to pass, whatever He has promised you.

4) The place of rejoicing

Learn to rejoice. Abraham rejoiced and kept giving God glory even though things didn't look good to him. David was a troubled man, but you can't beat him in rejoicing. He sure knew how to rejoice. When you rejoice, you remove yourself from your present situation.

5) Stay connected and don't be a loner.

This is a sure winner. Do you know how lions kill their preys? The lion follows the herd a little from afar. He doesn't attack when they are together. He roars with a loud roar to instil fear in the herd. But as long as the herd stays together, it won't attack them. So he keeps roaring seeking whom to devour until one of them out of fear strays away from the group. Then the lion goes after that one. The roaring of the lion is to cause fear and confusion. So also the roaring of those situations of life. But instead of running away, stay connected to where you can be encouraged in those times. Then, you receive strength, comfort and encouragement to forge ahead. It may be your church, fellowship, group of committed friends etc

3 Likes

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:03pm On Jan 03, 2013
@Analytical Baba. Abeg preach on jare. I am saying a BIG AMEN!!!!! Olori is fine and keeping me on my toes. Things are progressing smoothly and to God be all the glory. Happy new year and I'm sure your family is well. 2013 is the year. It's going to be a wonderful one for all of us IJN.

@Efemena & Emerald....thank you for the kind words of encouragement and wishing you a prosperous new year also. Yes o, God has put a smile back on my face and I'm actually happy. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2013
@Winneygirl. Still expecting your reply.....
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Winneygirl(f): 7:16pm On Jan 03, 2013
@Serubawon, Tgirl & Analytical,

I dont knw wat 2say. Wat U hav all said is alot 2 take in....and it's more than I expected.

U dont knw me or knw my story, but U connect so deeply 2 my feelings dat I'm speechless.

D last time I tried explaining d things dat go on in my head 2someone dat cared,He jst couldnt't undrstand. After explaining 4 almost an hour, answering all d questions, he gave me a 'good' advise.

"Next time don't speak in parables because now U'll hav 2 explain 2me d meaning of Ur parable"

I appreciate U guys. I'm still trying 2 weave all U've said together. I may have 2fully talk abt it in another post, cos U gave me a lot of positive things 2 think abt.

I truly, truly appreciate Ur words.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 7:57pm On Jan 03, 2013
Good to hear from u Winneygirl. I'm glad we could help in our own little way. cheesy
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 8:17am On Jan 08, 2013
Serubawon, no shaking. We have started e-fasting for the great e-feast! Olori dear, I hail o- I know say you dey read the thread. Abeg we dey wait o. Please continue to keep our Serubawon on his toes because he has been sitting down for a very long time!!!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 8:42am On Jan 08, 2013
@Winneygirl, I'm glad we could be of help. Yes, you just hit on my 6th point in that statement of yours:

U gave me a lot of positive things 2 think abt.

That takes me to:

6) Think, say and stay positive

As a (wo)man thinks in her heart, so is she! Think about positive things. See a bright future, think constatntly about it. See yourself succeeding. Scriptures say whatever is good, lovely, pure, just, wholesome, of good report, think on them! If all you think about is gloom and doom, you won't be hopeful of a brighter tomorrow. So, think happiness, joy, success, and say what you think to yourself. Words are powerful. What do you say about yourself? Let no corrupt (or negative) communication (or words) come out of your lips! Shape your future with your mouth and stay positive and hopeful!

Twelve spies went out to spy the land of Cannan- 10 saw defeat, failure, impossibilities and all negative things about how they can't make it. Hear what they said about themselves "we were like grasshoppers in their sight". They were not hopeful and little wonder they didn't make it to the promised land. However 2 saw opportunities, possibilities, ability to overcome challenges, honey and milk, success. Hear what they said "we are well able to possess the land"! It's not surprising they made it to the promised land. They remained hopeful, confessed it and possessed it. Even at age 80, one of the two (Caleb) still possessed what he was yet to because he didn't give up.

You too can!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Winneygirl(f): 9:07am On Jan 08, 2013
Thanks a lot...

I'm at work now, just decided to peep in, and I saw 'this'. Thanks for all your positive words.

I know I promised to come back to talk, but I see myself writing 5 long pages. I'm trying to push forward, so I will only come back to say positive things, and not dwell on the past. Sorry for keeping U all waiting.

Thanks Serubawon, Tgirl & d Oga with all the 'Analytical' skills.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 10:02am On Jan 08, 2013
Lol

Na Oga indeed! Thanks Analytical, I have also been ministered to.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 11:48am On Jan 08, 2013
That's the way to go Winneygirl Winnergirl!

Tgirl, Thanks be to God.

What's with the 2 girls about 'Oga' today? cheesy
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 1:35pm On Jan 08, 2013
Ok Winneygirl, let me add yet another point.

7) Don't stay at the valley!

It is inevitable that in our journey in this world, we come to valley experiences. We get to a point that seems we are stuck at the bottom, no ray of hope in sight. We feel lonely. Darkness all around and all we can hear are just echoes of our lonleliness. What then do you do when you get to this point? How do you forge ahead in this situation? The answer- don't stay at the valley! Keep moving! Go through the valley and don't pitch your tent there. Learn the lessons but keep moving ahead, don't entertain fear. Soon you will be out of there.

David got to this valley and realized he has to go through and not dwell there. Hear him "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for Thou art with me ..." Psalms 23. Truth is, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let that keep your hopes alive while you pass through.

A picture just came to my mind now of the valley of dry bones (Ezekiel 37). I asked myself why the people died at the valley. Many die when they get to the valley because they choose to remain there! That valley was full of very many dry bones. They got to the valley, remained there and lost all hopes and they all died. Hear what they said of themselves in verse 11 "behold, they say, 'Our bones are dried up and our hope has perished. We are completely cut off.'

So, remember when you get to the valleys of life, don't dwell at the valley, pass through it and keep the hope alive!

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 4:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
I'm at the airport about to board a flight and I checked into the thread and saw the latest additions.

@Winneygirl. I started this thread at 7:16pm on 12th August 2006. I remember that on that day, I was so depressed that I actually started typing and I'm not the type to get on threads and contribute to anything. It's going on 6 years and miraculously, the thread is still alive and strong. Not because I'm a prolific writer or anything of the sort, but because God saw that there would be people on this thread that would form a support system that would encourage and guide me to this point and even beyond. I had no inkling on the impact it would have on me as an individual (not to talk of other people). From this thread, I've made a lot of friends that have actually become personal friends for me today.

I can't count the number of people that have contributed at one time or the other, but we have a wonderful team on this thread and they truly care.

However, it all starts with telling your story. You said it would take 5 pages....go ahead and write your 5 pages. I'm sure we're all eagerly waiting to read it. I pray that God gives you the peace that I received. The peace that steered me towards a wonderful woman that I am getting married to. Tell your story....and may the Lord grant you favor and blessings.

1 Like

Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 11:22am On Jan 09, 2013
*Sobs *Sobs
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 11:36am On Jan 09, 2013
What on earth could be the matter Tgirl4real? Looks like Seru's story brought fresh tears to your eyes.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 12:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
lol. I guess it did. cheesy
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 12:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
Analytical: What on earth could be the matter Tgirl4real? Looks like Seru's story brought fresh tears to your eyes.

No mind Tgirl jare. She's as tough as a rhinoceros (and trust me, that's tough). grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 1:10pm On Jan 09, 2013
hehehehehehehe

U aint serious o Serubawon. Tough ke? Me, omo mummy. wink
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 1:19pm On Jan 09, 2013
Tgirl4real: hehehehehehehe

U aint serious o Serubawon. Tough ke? Me, omo mummy. wink

Haa...you...omo mummy ke!!! shocked More like ogbologbo, ogbonta, ogbokirakira!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 1:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
serubawon:

Haa...you...omo mummy ke!!! shocked More like ogbologbo, ogbonta, ogbokirakira!

Chei!!! Serubawon, no pour yellow garri inside my white garri o. Me wey dey form ajebo bu'ha. I can't fit shout. grin grin grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 1:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Chei!!! Serubawon, no pour yellow garri inside my white garri o. Me wey dey form ajebo bu'ha. I can't fit shout. grin grin grin

Aje butter ko, Aje paki ni.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 1:48pm On Jan 09, 2013
Aje paki yen gann ni. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 1:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
Tgirl4real: Aje paki yen gann ni. grin

See!!! The real Tgirl don show face proper grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 2:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
Serubawon you can say that again! I should know cheesy
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 2:43pm On Jan 09, 2013
Analytical: Serubawon you can say that again! I should know cheesy

I hear you my brother. grin
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 2:50pm On Jan 09, 2013
serubawon:

See!!! The real Tgirl don show face proper grin

Lol! What are u guys scheming? cheesy

BTW, is it aje paki or aje pako?
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Lol! What are u guys scheming? cheesy

BTW, is it aje paki or aje pako?

Honestly speaking....I dunno
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Analytical(m): 3:12pm On Jan 09, 2013
Scheming? No, just trying to unmask the real face behind your Lagbaja wink

Chei, I don dey look for trouble. I hope I am safe.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by spoilt(f): 4:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
Winneygirl out with your story already, Lol. Dont make me drag it out of you.
This thread is a good avenue to unburden. We've got stable folks on here.
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2013
spoilt: Winneygirl out with your story already, Lol. Dont make me drag it out of you.
This thread is a good avenue to unburden. We've got stable folks on here.

Hear, hear!
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by Tgirl4real(f): 5:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
Lol.

Analytical and Serubawon leave me o. tongue

@ Winneygirl, say your story when u are comfy to let it out alright? cheesy
Re: Adjusting To Life As A Widower by serubawon(m): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
Tgirl4real: Lol.

Analytical and Serubawon leave me o. tongue

@ Winneygirl, say your story when u are comfy to let it out alright? cheesy

Leave you ke? Who dey hold you naa? Make I go find Jenny come for you. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (44) (Reply)

Man Shares Picture After First Sex With His Virgin Wife (Viewers Discretion) / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) / Concern As More Us-based Nigerians Murder Their Spouses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.