Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? (25336 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by babajero(m): 11:13pm On Apr 21, 2015
Di bu uğwù nwańyi
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by kalufelix(m): 11:20pm On Apr 21, 2015
Brandnew2:

Bro, this is a big fat lie.

Seems like you don't know Nigerians. They can kiss your ass when you're there but will absolutely gossip or talk ill off you when you turn your back.
The Genevieve you sited as an example would absolutely love to get married if you met the perfect person. Perhaps she wouldn't have acquired so much wealth if not for certain surreptitious relationships.
I'm sure she too knows she has sacrificed a lot to gain what she has. Too bad she can't get a husband off the shelf with her money.

I've personally met with a popular celeb who is divorced. Trust me when I tell you people pointed at he ex hubby as the root cause of her predicament as soon as I stepped out of our meeting point. Now tell me how bad can that be. It's something like a label she'll carry all her life.

Bro! You just don't know until you step in a woman's shoe. Nothing like having a big happy family accompanied with fame and fortune.
abi o
Genevieve wey dey jump frm one frend weddin 2 anoda dem think say she no go lyk marry?
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by klark3: 11:21pm On Apr 21, 2015
sunshineo:
Kiark3...........u must be a foolish son from a foollish woman. I believe if u had been trained you well, you won't come here and spit out trash. Calling women slaves, u really need help.
I supposed u're a bitchy daughter from a ....... Mum.. Id!ot.

I won't insult ur mum. Just tank ur lucky stars, I don't trade words with women, let alone a b!tch like u. am a perfect gentle man. I only said d bitter truth, I don't know whether u're a pagan, muslim or christian, but if u're a christian read Genesis 3:16.

As regards d slave issue, a slave is a person who is owned by another person, d moment a woman's family accepts a man's dowry, dey have sold her & d man owns her automatically, because she has been sold, no matter how small d amount involved is, it's still transaction. If women really want equality, u people should start agitating for d abolition of brideprice. A friend of mine got married to an igbo girl, from imo state to be precise & he spent close to 2 million naira, just for brideprice, isn't dat worst dan slave trade? (2 million no go reach take buy 5 pple)

abeg fvck off jor...

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 11:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
ekiloui:

All I can say to you is "Francistony" is totally right.

Intellegence and wisdom at it's peak.

To the OP...your accomplishments and attitude earn you respect and not your marital status.

Who would earn your respect 1st.

1.) A lousy married woman without "self-respect, who goes about fighting the neighbours.

2.) A business woman who pays her own bills, and has a great attitude.

The whole marriage thing is over-rated and contrary to some believes "only in this part of the world"

Personally, I do not care if you're married or not (that's not my biz) my respect is earned and not dashed

God Almighty instituted marriage. No amount of civilization can stop it.

You better go and get married.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 11:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
An0nimus:

On the contrary you should reread your initial post. Your scenarios were not balanced. You gave the married woman an attitude problem and the single woman none.

If you want I can change the scenarios again giving both parties attitude problems and ask you the same question.

So my question still stands.

I understand your point but you obviously do not understand mine. "Must a woman be married to get respect"- this is the topic right? I gave the married woman an attitude problem because I wanted both women to have a problem. "The married woman with the attitude problem" and The business woman who's single". You can choose to respect the married woman flaws and all because you believe married women deserve respect or disrespect the business woman because she's unmarried. You can also choose to respect the business woman for her great attitude and disrespect the married woman for her bad attitude.

They both have their flaws..so take your pick
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by lezz(m): 11:25pm On Apr 21, 2015
princechurchill:
the pride of a woman is in her husband's name kindly ask your mother,any woman that has no husband even when it is due is simply seen as a..................
tramp. lol, just completing it for you.

do not mind these clueless ignoramus who crave to be seen as moraly sophisticated and broad minded. they are as loose and hollow as a shredded pack of indomie. i usually call them the symptons of the moral deseases of the 21st century.

ladies who dont get married are never truely fulfilled . ask genivieve, then ask Omotola.

society will never see them as the same..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 11:27pm On Apr 21, 2015
Onyiridike:

God Almighty instituted marriage. No amount of civilization can stop it.

You better go and get married.

God did not create me with a slave mentality, thank you very much. If I'm destined to be married by God's grace I will..and if not, so be it.

Life is about so much more.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
kalufelix:
abi o
Genevieve wey dey jump frm one frend weddin 2 anoda dem think say she no go lyk marry?
That's every woman's lifetime dream man.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 11:35pm On Apr 21, 2015
ekiloui:

God did not create me with a slave mentality, thank you very much. If I'm destined to be married by God's grace I will..and if not, so be it.

Life is about so much more.

Could you explain what you mean by slave mentality?

No achievement worths more than a big happy family.

A lovely husband with beautiful kids in a wonderful home is like a heaven on earth.

We ought to pray to have it.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 21, 2015
Outside Africa, NO.... in Africa, not only being married but also having a male child or a child at least. if you've read "A woman in her prime" then you'll know more. In Africa, if you aren't married as a woman, you have not attain womanhood and you lack the right to garner respect. On a general note, marriage is nowhere near a prerequisite for respect for any woman.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by illiad: 11:47pm On Apr 21, 2015
Well I think its all about what you want as a woman. If it suits you to remain single pls do so. People will respect you but not in your back.

I once dated a babe who always tells me she would love to be a single mother and I respect her decision. Though I know it comes with its own challenges
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ewuro4: 11:53pm On Apr 21, 2015
Brandnew2:

That's every woman's lifetime dream man.

True. I agree. That's a different debate entirely compared to what OP asked.

You don't necessarily have to be married to earn respect as a woman/lady.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by An0nimus: 12:05am On Apr 22, 2015
ekiloui:

I understand your point but you obviously do not understand mine. "Must a woman be married to get respect"- this is the topic right? I gave the married woman an attitude problem because I wanted both women to have a problem. "The married woman with the attitude problem" and The business woman who's single". You can choose to respect the married woman flaws and all because you believe married women deserve respect or disrespect the business woman because she's unmarried. You can also choose to respect the business woman for her great attitude and disrespect the married woman for her bad attitude.

They both have their flaws..so take your pick

I'm a bit curious why you think being single is a problem/flaw and one that can compared on the same level with a married woman without self respect who fights her neighbours. Personally I don't see it as a flaw that can be pitched against an attitude problem.

A woman who has no self respect and respect for others should not expect any in return. Married or unmarried.

The comparisons on this thread have mainly been between accomplised single women and an unrecognized Aunty married with children which isn't balanced.

If you must mention Genevieve then pair her with Omotola

If you must mention an Ill mannered single banker then pair her with a similar woman but married.

I think then we'll begin to see it's not a straight answer as some of us have earlier given.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 12:05am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

Could you explain what you mean by slave mentality?

No achievement worths more than a big happy family.

A lovely husband with beautiful kids in a wonderful home is like a heaven on earth.

We ought to pray to have it.

Yes! We all pray to have it..but as I told you earlier nothing in this world is a do or die affair.

When you believe you must be married to achieve success in life, somehow marriage becomes a bondage to you.

I want a partnership. If I get married it must be for the right reasons (I.E I have found a companion) and not for because I want to please the society. Saying "go and get married" is what I refer to as a slave mentality (slavery is bondage)...when you think that way not only do you become a slave to your husband but to the society at large.

I'll give you an advise...no matter how long it takes you, search for your own man...don't marry for societal respect and because of what people will say...they won't live with you or endure the unhappy times in your marriage. And my dear if you do not find your own man..live your life, afterall men have killed their wives, I personally know of a woman whose husband killed her by pouring acid on her when he found a new bae.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by EyeKandy(f): 12:07am On Apr 22, 2015
cheesy grin By their fruits, you shall know them.

SMH! Village-minded women are easy to identify!!! Get a life, pick a hustle, bag major credentials, pay your bills and sweat it out. This topic never gets old with Naija women.

Respect equals good attitude and/or success.

6 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 12:08am On Apr 22, 2015
An0nimus:

I'm a bit curious why you think being single is a problem/flaw and one that can compared on the same level with a married woman without self respect who fights her neighbours. Personally I don't see it as a flaw that can be pitched against an attitude problem.

A woman who has no self respect and respect for others should not expect any in return. Married or unmarried.

The comparisons on this thread have mainly been between accomplised single women and an unrecognized Aunty married with children which isn't balanced.

If you must mention Genevieve then pair her with Omotola

If you must mention an Ill mannered single banker then pair her with a similar woman but married.

I think then we'll begin to see it's not a straight answer as some of us have earlier given.

Try to read and understand. I personally do not think being single is a flaw (you should have deduced that from my other post). The question is directed at those who think being single is a flaw, the people who are saying being single translates to being a prostitute, or being wayward.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 12:08am On Apr 22, 2015
Ewuro4:

what I know is, I respect women more when I see their man buy their side. It means a lot to me.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ewuro4: 12:10am On Apr 22, 2015
Brandnew2:
what I know is, I respect women more when I see their man buy their side. It means a lot to me.

^^

Agreed.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by An0nimus: 12:26am On Apr 22, 2015
ekiloui:

Try to read and understand. I personally do not think being single is a flaw (you should have deduced that from my other post). The question is directed at those who think being single is a flaw, the people who are saying being single translates to being a prostitute, or being wayward.

Your initial post did not clarify that. However, whether others see it as a flaw or not is not enough to put it on the same scale with someone that has attitude issues. An attitude problem will always be frowned at regardless of marital status.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by An0nimus: 12:29am On Apr 22, 2015
Brandnew2:
what I know is, I respect women more when I see their man by their side. It means a lot to me.
Same.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 12:31am On Apr 22, 2015
An0nimus:

Your initial post did not clarify that. However, whether others see it as a flaw or not is not enough to put it on the same scale with someone that has attitude issues. An attitude problem will always be frowned at regardless of marital status.

You've just answered my question. It's the attitude that earns respect and not the marital status..thank you
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by koyyess: 12:34am On Apr 22, 2015
klark3:
Yes...

Nature made it so, a man can remain single & still earn respect, but a woman will be disregarded & unfulfilled... Have u ever asked urself why a woman answers d man's name after marriage.... Because a woman's crown is her husband, they are glorified slaves, they were gotten from just one rib of a man, yet u see dem dragging territories with men...

adam had already been surviving without eve, & would have continued to survive without her... But eve wouldn't have survived a day without adam.

No husband = no respect..

Most unmarried women are whores, dey have no self respect, & no sane man is willing to condone their nasty attitude. If u're a lady, single & u're above 30, sorry for u. But a man can be single & above 60, he will still earn respect...

Thank God am a man, not a glorified slave(woman)...
Words from a typical Black Monkey.

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 12:34am On Apr 22, 2015
ekiloui:

Yes! We all pray to have it..but as I told you earlier nothing in this world is a do or die affair.

When you believe you must be married to achieve success in life, somehow marriage becomes a bondage to you.

I want a partnership. If I get married it must be for the right reasons (I.E I have found a companion) and not for because I want to please the society. Saying "go and get married" is what I refer to as a slave mentality (slavery is bondage)...when you think that way not only do you become a slave to your husband but to the society at large.

I'll give you an advise...no matter how long it takes you, search for your own man...don't marry for societal respect and because of what people will say...they won't live with you or endure the unhappy times in your marriage. And my dear if you do not find your own man..live your life, afterall men have killed their wives, I personally know of a woman whose husband killed her by pouring acid on her when he found a new bae.

I now understand you. Of course, you will marry the man that loves you.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by umunnatim(m): 12:37am On Apr 22, 2015
See as all this old spinsters de jubilate....lol,who told you that Genvive and Co does not wish they re Mrs?compare she and Omortola who does the society see as a responsible woman?lets tell ourselves the truth,most landlords will not rent their house to spinsters,even at the place of work married women re addressed with caution than unmarried.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by An0nimus: 12:42am On Apr 22, 2015
ekiloui:

You've just answered my question. It's the attitude that earns respect and not the marital status..thank you
Lol nice try. Unfortunately our discourse and the reason for this thread is not on attitude or achievements but on respect and marital status. That's why I said all comparison based on the subject matter should be on a level playing field.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 12:51am On Apr 22, 2015
klark3:

I won't insult ur mum. Just tank ur lucky stars, I don't trade words with women, let alone a b!tch like u. am a perfect gentle man. I only said d bitter truth, I don't know whether u're a pagan, muslim or christian, but if u're a christian read Genesis 3:16.

As regards d slave issue, a slave is a person who is owned by another person, d moment a woman's family accepts a man's dowry, dey have sold her & d man owns her automatically, because she has been sold, no matter how small d amount involved is, it's still transaction. If women really want equality, u people should start agitating for d abolition of brideprice. A friend of mine got married to an igbo girl, from imo state to be precise & he spent close to 2 million naira, just for brideprice, isn't dat worst dan slave trade? (2 million no go reach take buy 5 pple)

abeg fvck off jor...
Did you just say "close to N2million for bride price"? shocked
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by koyyess: 12:54am On Apr 22, 2015
This is what most humans fail to understand. The backward african society generally do not respect women regardless of their marital status. That's why when a woman gets battered by her husband, they are quick to say its her fault. When a woman is pained to find out that her husband is a chronic cheat, they tell her to look the other way. It goes on and on. Any married woman that thinks she is way better than a single woman is deluded. You see that reetard I quoted up there? He sees marriage as a means to 'cage' and tame a woman because he knows that single women are not tamed or caged. That is why black fools like him express such hatred for single ladies. We've got people who are in actual fact- unintelligent empty shells. Because if they knew what marriage truly is, they wouldn't spew such thrash. Marriage has nothing to do with respect. If you marry for the sake of gaining empty respect from worthless people, then I'm sorry for you.

11 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by todayguest(m): 1:13am On Apr 22, 2015
Me I no know.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by kalufelix(m): 1:16am On Apr 22, 2015
Ewuro4:

I think the op threw the question in a somewhat shabby way we all understand what he/she meant
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nkepris(f): 1:27am On Apr 22, 2015
klark3:

abeg fvck off jor...
Nah! u shldnt use dat word slave. slave, woman are 2 different.....Do not disrespect womanhood cos u will b disrespecting d woman dat gave birth to u.......n i think u need help y do u hate women so much as to call dem slaves.......God help u
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by AskProf: 1:36am On Apr 22, 2015
[quote author=TooNoisy post=32918854]Silly topic.

What is this respect? Are you implying Oprah is not respected. Several single woman out there who have achieved a lot on their own without being married, and they are very much respected by all.

Bros, if you boss is a single woman, please don't respect her ok. Talk down on her and you will be where you end up!

Silly topic for unenlightened souls.[/quote

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by kalufelix(m): 1:46am On Apr 22, 2015
EyeKandy:
cheesy grin By their fruits, you shall know them.

SMH! Village-minded women are easy to identify!!! Get a life, pick a hustle, bag major credentials, pay your bills and sweat it out. This topic never gets old with Naija women.

Respect equals good attitude and/or success.
you totally missed the point why do you always try to put the married woman below par by referring to her as "village minded" "lousy" if you wanna compare a village minded woman it should be a village minded UNMARRIED woman and a village minded MARRIED woman same goes for the exposed and civilised and career ones. The comparison is between who has the marriage crown and who doesn't

E. g Rita Dominic and Omotola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is Africa Really A Better Place to Raise A Child Than The Western World? / Wives and Intending Wives, Do you Love Guys Who Can Cook Very Well? / Man Who Married 2 Wives In Order To Have A Male Child Now Has 6 Daughters. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.