Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? (25369 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Migurl: 1:48am On Apr 22, 2015
OP I do not think a woman MUST be married to gain respect. This is because respect by definition is "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements".
I think that if a woman can elicit admiration through her achievements, abilities and qualities then she should be respected whether she is married or not.

To digress a bit, I have read the entire thread and I want to thank all who have posted their view on this topic.
To generalize about women is not really a mature thing to do. Not every woman really wants to be married, and it does not also mean that the woman intends to continue to indulge in coitus nor does she want to become a Nun. I have seen women who have a passion to remain unmarried but also adopt children who have no parents as their own. Just because it is very fulfilling to them.
It is highly disturbing that some male folk think of women as slaves. Please do not anger if I ask you this question? Will you allow another man treat your wife, sister or daughter as a slave? If your answer is yes, then it is alright but if your answer is no then I beg you to reconsider your thought.
Alas, we are all entitled to our opinion on any topic and also have been created to have different thoughts but let us allow our conscience to guide us in our thinking.
Thank you everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 2:16am On Apr 22, 2015
Why must you be respected because you married? Well...u may earn kid's respect anyway, but that's until you give birth o. By then they will be calling you 'Mummy Seun' but if you marry without a child, 'Iyawo' will become your username and this can be very embarrassing and disdainful grin
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Aude(f): 2:35am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

[i] Yes!

4. An unmarried lady is always seen as a prostitute even if she is the richest person in the world. Of course, she sleeps with different men for money or mere sexual gratification. Who respects such a woman?
5. God instituted marriage for a purpose. If you choose to remain single for the sake of the kingdom of God, fine. However, if it is otherwise, i.e. you deliberately refuse to marry, it is a sin.

Just these two points from you show how backwards you are. There are a lot of single women out there who pay their bills and do not need a man to take care of them. Trust me it feels good when you can contribute financially in a marriage or take care of yourself as a single lady.There are also some single ladies who are celibate, while there are others who are in committed relationships. We all know that marriage does not stop promiscuous women from seeking sexual gratification from different partners. So your belief that single ladies sleep around is too generalized and makes me question the kind of people you hang out with.
Your point about it being a sin when a person deliberately refuses to marry, well I am Catholic and in all my years of going to church I have never heard such rubbish.
My advice to you is to broaden your horizon. Try and meet strong independent married and single ladies. It will help educate and motivate you, and also give you a better perspective on life.

9 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by EyeKandy(f): 3:07am On Apr 22, 2015
kalufelix:
you totally missed the point why do you always try to put the married woman below par by referring to her as "village minded" "lousy" if you wanna compare a village minded woman it should be a village minded UNMARRIED woman and a village minded MARRIED woman same goes for the exposed and civilised and career ones. The comparison is between who has the marriage crown and who doesn't

E. g Rita Dominic and Omotola

No sir. You actually missed the point.

First, you don't know my marital status so it makes no sense for me to put married women "below par". I'm not and never will be, not even after 10 kids. The village-mindset applies to both married and unmarried women that fits the description in my previous post.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 3:16am On Apr 22, 2015
Aude:
Onyiridike:

[i] Yes!

4. An unmarried lady is always seen as a prostitute even if she is the richest person in the world. Of course, she sleeps with different men for money or mere sexual gratification. Who respects such a woman?
5. God instituted marriage for a purpose. If you choose to remain single for the sake of the kingdom of God, fine. However, if it is otherwise, i.e. you deliberately refuse to marry, it is a sin.

Just these two points from you show how backwards you are. There are a lot of single women out there who pay their bills and do not need a man to take care of them. Trust me it feels good when you can contribute financially in a marriage or take care of yourself as a single lady.There are also some single ladies who are celibate, while there are others who are in committed relationships. We all know that marriage does not stop promiscuous women from seeking sexual gratification from different partners. So your belief that single ladies sleep around is too generalized and makes me question the kind of people you hang out with.
Your point about it being a sin when a person deliberately refuses to marry, well I am Catholic and in all my years of going to church I have never heard such rubbish.
My advice to you is to broaden your horizon. Try and meet strong independent married and single ladies. It will help educate and motivate you, and also give you a better perspective on life.

Obviously, you don't study your bible. Marriage is a command and any sex outside marriage is a sin.

Can you sincerely tell me that you can remain unmarried and also have no sex all your life.

If your mother had remained unmarried, would you be here to comment on nairaland?

The highest position any woman or man can attain in this world is to be a mother or father.

We celebrate mothers' day to honour and respect all mothers but there is nothing like single sisters' day.

Any child outside marriage is a bastard.

Infact, our main assignment on earth is to procreate.

Those unmarriageable ladies who have become feminist because they cannot be submissive to a man are the one deceiving young girls.

Beyounce is happily married and yet some local champions who have never travelled out of their locality always shout African mentality each time the issue of marriage is raised.

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Dora Akuyili, Dieziani, Omotala, among others are great achievers and also married.

STOP trying to be superior to men, even $1billion cannot make you equal to a man.

Get married, be submissive, build a family, respect your husband and above all, be his helper.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by totorimi: 4:17am On Apr 22, 2015
AN UNMARRIED WOMAN HAS NO RESPECT, SHE DPESNT DESRVE RESPECT AND SHOULD NEVER CLAIM OR GIVEN RESPECT.

WHY SHOULD A LADY OF AGE WHO IS NOT A NUN REMAIN UNMARRIED. THE ONLY POSSIBLE ANSWER TO IT IS THAT LADY MUST BE A LovePeddler OR SHE IS DIABOLICAL.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE THEY BE GATHERED TOGETHER AND SENT TO SAMBISA FOREST.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Aude(f): 4:22am On Apr 22, 2015
@Onyiridike :

I did not include your writings because I felt you did not address the issues I raised. Where in my post did I tell you I was single? Did I encourage women to try to "be superior to men" ? Marriage is all about equality. A man and woman come together as one. You see why I said you are backwards. If this was an exam you would have failed miserably.
Please could you also quote where it says in the bible that refusing to marry is a sin. I would love to read that passage in the bible. Please read my original post and you would notice that I was promoting the value of being a strong independent woman, single or married. I was just simply disgusted with your claims that single ladies are promiscuous. If you are married I am sure you were single before you tied the knot. So did you sleep with various men for material and financial gain? Marriage could be wonderful if you are lucky to meet the right person but not everyone for one reason or the other gets the privilege of experiencing it.
Also I would point out that as a woman you should never call another woman's child a bastard because you never know what the future holds.
As for the rest of your rant I am happy to praise strong independent woman who are making a name for themselves, single or married.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by tellmesome(f): 4:24am On Apr 22, 2015
No u don't have to

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by omojeesu(m): 4:39am On Apr 22, 2015
NO!
BUT CAN SHE AVOID FORNICATION WHICH WILL DISPLEASE GOD? FROM BIBLE POINT OF VIEW MARRIAGE IS FOR 3 REASONS:
1. COMPANIONSHIP
2. PROCREATION
3. SEXUAL PURITY - A VERY DIFFICULT THING INDEED FOR MOST TODAY.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by cevek11: 4:54am On Apr 22, 2015
If she has Money #Success
That brings respect too sha...
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ireneidiva(f): 5:41am On Apr 22, 2015
The way some people reason is so backward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by mutter(f): 5:44am On Apr 22, 2015
Bibol:

Madam this your generalization is, permit me to say, very wrong. I know you believe so much in marriage, so do I. But to say in the western world, people respect married folks more than the single ones, that is incorrect. Westernized folks are more concerned about things like paying your bills and being independent than marrying and raising a family. Why do you think they sign a prenup before marriage?
A lot of them are now adopting babies or keeping pets to kill the boredom in their lives, and yet people respect them in their society to the fullest. In a lot of African countries, Yes, respect for a woman is attached to her marital status, it's the way our society has been structured and that may not change in 200 years. All these oyinbo people are not like us. This does not erase the fact that marriage is a good and honorable institution but people should be respected firstly, because they are humans and then for the value they add to the society.

I live in the western world and I have seen it applies here too just as much as anywhere in the world.

As I told you you have to keep all other variables constant. A lot of people that are not married in the western world did not make a decission of choice but simply could not find a partner.
BEing married shows social competence and stability. In the western world it is not just about skills but allot of emphasis is paid on team work and social competences.
This does not mean that being married is the only criteria for respect. Certainly not. It is one criteria and for this criteria being marrieg gains you more respect than not being married.

And this is simply reflected in all aspects of life.
Married women get are given priority at work, when it comes to taking leave, work time and so much more.
Married people have tax benefits and marriage has so much protection under the law.

In many countries marriage is a special right guaranteed by the constitution and protected by law.
That is reflected in all aspects of life. You need to give it some deeper thought.

Also in most religion marriage is respected and even encouraged.

This is not about comparing the married market seller with Genevive.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Bibol(f): 5:53am On Apr 22, 2015
mutter:

I live in the western world and I have seen it applies here too just as much as anywhere in the world.

As I told you you have to keep all other variables constant. A lot of people that are not married in the western world did not make a decission of choice but simply could not find a partner.
BEing married shows social competence and stability. In the western world it is not just about skills but allot of emphasis is paid on team work and social competences.
This does not mean that being married is the only criteria for respect. Certainly not. It is one criteria and for this criteria being marrieg gains you more respect than not being married.

And this is simply reflected in all aspects of life.
Married women get are given priority at work, when it comes to taking leave, work time and so much more.
Married people have tax benefits and marriage has so much protection under the law.

In many countries marriage is a special right guaranteed by the constitution and protected by law.
That is reflected in all aspects of life. You need to give it some deeper thought.

Also in most religion marriage is respected and even encouraged.

This is not about comparing the married market seller with Genevive.

I guess we differ slightly in opinions on this based on our life experiences. Benefits don't equate to respect. Have a good day

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by sukkot: 6:04am On Apr 22, 2015
if she is not married then what is she doing with her life and her time ? drinking and taking drugs and mast-urb-ating ? lmao. a woman who is not married is an outcast in most societies of this world. however having said all that, i dont subscribe to women marrying very early in life. i think a good age for a woman to get married is 35

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by caseyhills(m): 6:08am On Apr 22, 2015
Cutehector:
I believ respect comes from character, fame and wealth. If a woman has these, den she doesn't need to answr mrs to earn respect frm people
my Guy some how your wrong! in this part of the world you need that Mrs! I know of a lady she have all the above! but her fellow ladies still insult her Cos she's not married! left for me, I don't think marriage is very important but it's Important!
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 22, 2015
I need to address this point wrote ignorantly
Onyiridike:

If your mother had remained unmarried, would you be here to comment on nairaland?
Who told you unmarried women can't give birth?

We celebrate mothers' day to honour and respect all mothers but there is nothing like single sisters' day.
Mothers' day isn't for married women but those that have given birth whether single or married.

Those unmarriageable ladies who have become feminist because they cannot be submissive to a man are the one deceiving young girls.
Amber Rose is unmarried and she's not a feminist.

Beyounce is happily married and yet some local champions who have never travelled out of their locality always shout African mentality each time the issue of marriage is raised.
Beyoncé is a feminist. Your argument of lumping all unmarried women as a feminist doesn't hold any water.

7 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by M4gunners: 7:05am On Apr 22, 2015
Caracta:
Depends on what the woman has achieved so far. I respect hardworking ladies with great accomplishments. Ladies that have achieved what older and married folks couldn't.

I don't care if you have a ring on your finger or not. Show me what you've got and earn my respect.
Even if it takes the Lady her life time sleeping around with different men just to achieve that? Why her mates who got married and have Children living a normal life couldn't achieve such. So you mean you are one of the money worshipers i guess?
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Caracta(f): 7:10am On Apr 22, 2015
M4gunners:
Even if it takes the Lady her life time sleeping around with different men just to achieve that? Why her mates who got married and have Children living a normal life couldn't achieve such. So you mean you are one of the money worshipers i guess?

Do you measure accomplishments by the amount of money in someone's account?
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ayubaesla: 7:28am On Apr 22, 2015
Yes cause head of every woman is a man. Tell who ever she is to get married.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:32am On Apr 22, 2015
In Nigeria,people view marriage as an achievement. In other words,you become an honourable woman when you get a man to marry you. People will give you full respect when you get married. That is why we hear people tell highly influential and wealthy women like Ms.Geneveive,Rita Dominic,Arunma Oteh to go and marry inspite of their achievements.
This is not so in developed countries. Most of these women can even do without men put society doesn't accord them full respects till they settle down.
It's an African thing.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:38am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

Obviously, you don't study your bible. Marriage is a command and any sex outside marriage is a sin.

Can you sincerely tell me that you can remain unmarried and also have no sex all your life.

The highest position any woman or man can attain in this world is to be a mother or father.

Any child outside marriage is a bastard.

Infact, our main assignment on earth is to procreate.

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Dora Akuyili, Dieziani, Omotala, among others are great achievers and also married.

STOP trying to be superior to men, even $1billion cannot make you equal to a man.

Get married, be submissive, build a family, respect your husband and above all, be his helper.
Sorry,are you trying to say that single women go around sleeping with men? And that all unmarried women are feminists?
That's a bit narrow minded.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 7:39am On Apr 22, 2015
FrancisTony:
I need to address this point wrote ignorantly
Who told you unmarried women can't give birth?

Mothers' day isn't for married women but those that have given birth whether single or married.

Amber Rose is unmarried and she's not a feminist.

Beyoncé is a feminist. Your argument of lumping all unmarried women as a feminist doesn't hold any water.

You are the one who is ignorant. Children born out of wedlock are bastards and the giver of the birth is an irresponsible woman and NOT a mother.

If Beyounce is happily married to Jazz and still tell you that she is a feminist then she is simply deceiving you. She MUST be submissive to her husband, respect him and bear children for him. Where is the equality if she does that.

Better go and get married.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Achilies(m): 7:46am On Apr 22, 2015
In Africa?
Yes o. No matter how successful you are as a woman if you are not married. You will not get the respect you truly deserve.

Your female friends and relatives will make sure they remind u of that particular issue as if your life and theirs depends on it..

And not when her mother is still alive.
Even if she is dead. Her spirit will never let her rest until she marry.

In Africa for u as a woman to get the respect u deserve you must marry o.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by quivah(f): 7:49am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

Could you explain what you mean by slave mentality?

No achievement worths more than a big happy family.

A lovely husband with beautiful kids in a wonderful home is like a heaven on earth.

We ought to pray to have it.
good! how many of such do you know?

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

You are the one who is ignorant. Children born out of wedlock are bastards and the giver of the birth is an irresponsible woman and NOT a mother.

If Beyounce is happily married to Jazz and still tell you that she is a feminist then she is simply deceiving you. She MUST be submissive to her husband, respect him and bear children for him. Where is the equality if she does that.

At first line, that's your opinion. Many open-minded people don't share your archaic belief.

Lmao! Submissive kwa? You think western and some African men are freaked about patriarchy? You must be deluded.
If JayZ hate feminists, he must have divorced her.

Lastly, I'm a male not female. When time comes, I'll surely get married.

4 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by quivah(f): 7:58am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

madam onyi your posts have been cracking me up..
kudos!

but honestly, you are ignorant!

mothers' day (as you put forward) is to celebrate MOTHERS! married or single because they are mothers.
there's no single women's'/men's' day because they are SINGLE(what is celebration needed for) however some of these single women are celebrated if they are mothers.. are there any 'married womens' day' .. however there's a day to celebrate 'international women day'.. for singles/married/mothers/female kids a over the world.

is that what you know about feminism@emboldened

lastly madam you have a loud mouth, common sense should tell to me to respect a disciplined single lady over you.. you jumped to call people irresponsible even tho there might be circumstances surrounding their situations and you think I should give you a dose of respect cause you are married irrespective. even if they are irresponsible, THEY are MOTHERS! and are celebrated to your ignorance..

6 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 7:59am On Apr 22, 2015
Aude:
@Onyiridike :

I did not include your writings because I felt you did not address the issues I raised. Where in my post did I tell you I was single? Did I encourage women to try to "be superior to men" ? Marriage is all about equality. A man and woman come together as one. You see why I said you are backwards. If this was an exam you would have failed miserably.
Please could you also quote where it says in the bible that refusing to marry is a sin. I would love to read that passage in the bible. Please read my original post and you would notice that I was promoting the value of being a strong independent woman, single or married. I was just simply disgusted with your claims that single ladies are promiscuous. If you are married I am sure you were single before you tied the knot. So did you sleep with various men for material and financial gain? Marriage could be wonderful if you are lucky to meet the right person but not everyone for one reason or the other gets the privilege of experiencing it.
Also I would point out that as a woman you should never call another woman's child a bastard because you never know what the future holds.
As for the rest of your rant I am happy to praise strong independent woman who are making a name for themselves, single or married.

frontward (if there is any word like that) lady. I must admit that you are very selfish if truly that you are married and you don't support that others would do the same.

Why did you join me in failing exams by not answering my own questions.

I repeat; can you stay unmarried indefinitely and also not have sex till death?

Is sex outside marriage NOT a sin?

Is a child born out of wedlock not a bastard?

If out of all the billions of men in the world, a lady cannot just one that loves her and wants to marry her then she needs deliverance instantly.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 8:06am On Apr 22, 2015
quivah:

madam onyi your posts have been cracking me up..
kudos!

but honestly, you are ignorant!

mothers' day (as you put forward) is to celebrate MOTHERS! married or single because they are mothers.
there's no single women's'/men's' day because they are SINGLE(what is celebration needed for) however some of these single women are celebrated if they are mothers.. are there any 'married womens' day' .. however there's a day to celebrate 'international women day'.. for singles/married/mothers/female kids a over the world.

is that what you know about feminism

Do you call them mothers? ONLY those who were raped deserve to be called mothers.

Any woman who gives birth deliberately outside marriage is an irresponsible woman and NOT a mother.

Do you call every young man who goes about impregnating women outside marriage a father?

Motherhood goes beyond giving birth to a child.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 22, 2015
Cutehector:
I believ respect comes from character, fame and wealth. If a woman has these, den she doesn't need to answr mrs to earn respect frm people
But she need to answer Mrs to belong to certain groups.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 8:12am On Apr 22, 2015
FrancisTony:

At first line, that's your opinion. Many open-minded people don't share your archaic belief.

Lmao! Submissive kwa? You think western and some African men are freaked about patriarchy? You must be deluded.
If JayZ hate feminists, he must have divorced her.

Lastly, I'm a male not female. When time comes, I'll surely get married.

I am sure your type has never travelled out of his locality but always judge things based on what he reads on papers.

Why do you want to marry?

Can't you have a baby mama since you are not archaic?

You are simply inexperienced.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by M4gunners: 8:13am On Apr 22, 2015
Caracta:

Do you measure accomplishments by the amount of money in someone's account?
Accomplishment gose with the money you have.If you like read from Oxford university to Akmadu bello university without you making it in life, your studies are in vain dear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman? / "I Prefer My Man Beating Me To Cheating On Me" - Nigerian Lady / My Husband Beats Me For Not Bearing Male Child, Wife Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.