Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,589 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test (14839 Views)

Dr Maduka C Ogwueleka: "Staphylococus Aureus Is A Scam In Nigeria" / Buy Reveal DNA Paternity Test From Micostarmall / Buy DNA Paternity Test Kit From Micostarmall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 8:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

I am not referring to assigning kids! The crux of my post is the artificial cost of paternity test in Nigeria!

Before you misconstrue my points with the Igbo culture as if you are selling opkoroko and tatashe!
I was referring to your "keeping the peace" talk as you indicate happens in other countries. So before you crucify them, just know it happens in your own too. Maybe the difference is that in igbo culture, the man isn't mandated to be the father.
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

Sure. We should all the held to the same standard.

We are in agreement smiley
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

But If he's not in doubt, your ''encourage them to check" is the problem. If a man is not in doubt of his kids' paternity, what's a campaign geared towards telling each man to do that supposed to achieve?

It's not a campaign "geared towards telling each man..."

It's a general awareness outreach.

To put it in a logic you would understand:
It's like a Domestic Violence campaign. It's not geared to cajole each spouse (male or female) to look for faults in their partners so as to prosecute them or tag them as abusers.

It is geared towards recognising abuse and being aware of the avenues to check such situations.

Are you with me? Do you finally catch my drift?

2 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 8:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

I was referring to your "keeping the peace" talk as you indicate happens in other countries. So before you crucify them, just know it happens in your own too. Maybe the difference is that in igbo culture, the man isn't mandated to be the father.

It doesn't happen in this country. In France, the men are locked down.

In the Igbo culture, the man can claim the child or he may refuse to claim the child. He's choice is at play 100%.

KEEPING THE PEACE is as different from this as night is day!

2 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 8:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

It's not a campaign "geared towards telling each man..."

It's a general awareness walk.

To put it in a logic you would understand:
It's like a Domestic Violence campaign. It's not geared to cajole each spouse (male or female) to look for faults in their partners so as to prosecute them or tag them as abusers.

It is geared towards recognising abuse and being aware of the avenues to check such situations.

Are you with me? Do you finally catch my drift?

I'm getting your drift.

But I have one question though.

Do you believe there are 21st century men who when in doubt of their children's paternity don't know or are not aware that paternity tests can clear such doubts?

If you think about, you can see awareness isn't the problem.
Maybe cost like you said.

And in that I agree with you. if it is exorbitant in relation to the procedure that's involved, then it should be sliced.
Just strike it from your mind that it is a conspiracy out to get men. That I can assure you it isn't. Not in Nigeria.

The main culprit could be that it is a relatively new technology in the country, not many hospitals do it. You do have to go out of state to get it done if you want in some cases and it is unsubsidized hence the expense.

those home test kits results may not be permissible in court if there's a case of contested fatherhood. They would require the result from a licensed hospital. So that doesn't solve the problem.
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 8:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
Ok. It doesn't happen in this country. Well you're the one that started the thread as if the Nigerian govt is deliberately trying to prevent men from gaining access to paternity information.

So is your concern about France/Sweden or about NIGERIA?
Are you worried the constitution in France might affect that of Nigeria?

Mikollon1:

It doesn't happen in this country. In France, the men are locked down.

In the Igbo culture, the man can claim the child or he may refuse to claim the child. He's choice is at play 100%.

KEEPING THE PEACE is as different from this as night is day!

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:
Ok. It doesn't happen in this country. Well you're the one that started the thread as if the Nigerian govt is deliberately trying to prevent men from gaining access to paternity information.

So is your concern about France/Sweden or about NIGERIA?
Are you worried the constitution in France might affect that of Nigeria?

You are not still getting my drift.

The government runs the Min of Health. The Min of Health is aware of the artificial cost of the test. Who is incharge of the ministry? The minister. Who is the minister? A political appointee selected by the president and ratified by the senate. In other words, a government official.

The minister is a member of the FEC that meets with the president weekly.

So is the government aware?

What will it take for you to catch my drift?

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

I'm getting your drift.

But I have one question though.

Do you believe there are 21st century men who when in doubt of their children's paternity don't know or are not aware that paternity tests can clear such doubts?

Do you believe ALL the men in this country know about such tests?
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by babygirlfl: 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

eBay

It took me <60secs to get these pics.

I believe in gender equality. I believe women should have the same rights and RESPONSIBILITIES as men.

I've realised women want only the rights bit. We'll see!

Thanks for letting me know. We learn everyday.

I totally agree with you on the bolded bit. Please how did you come to the realisation that women want the rights and not the responsibility?
I want both the rights and responsibility because I know that with rights comes responsibility.

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
babygirlfl:

Thanks for letting me know. We learn everyday.

I totally agree with you on the bolded bit. Please how did you come to the realisation that women want the rights and not the responsibility?
I want both the rights and responsibility because I know that with rights comes responsibility.

I can't explain your second paragraph to you. You just have to look around and see for yourself.

3 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 8:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

You are not still getting my drift.

The government runs the Min of Health. The Min of Health is aware of the artificial cost of the test. Who is incharge of the ministry? The minister. Who is the minister? A political appointee selected by the president and ratified by the senate. In other words, a government official.

The minister is a member of the FEC that meets with the president weekly.

So is the government aware?

What will it take for you to catch my drift?
Your drift indicates that this artificial cost is 'deliberately' done to prevent men from doing this test. And I'm of the opinion that artificial or not, that's not what the high price is about.

Just like many things in Nigeria, it is overpriced because the technology is foreign. It is that simple.

I bet you don't know how much simple tests that are easily gotten in developed countries also cost in Nigeria. Some people have even died because their diagnoses which takes a few days to get in other countries came in weeks and months late even when they started seeking medical help on time. How many DNA testing centers are in each state? How do you think it won't be expensive when we have so few serving so many?

It's not a deliberate hing being done against men like you believe. It's one of the unfortunate consequences of poor health care facilities.

The solution to the problem won't be just slashing the prices of tests. The whole sector needs overhaul. When it is relatively easy to access, the price cut will follow naturally.

Oga I don tire for the back and forth sha. Thank you at least for not being rude. One didn't know there are that many people left around who can converse without resorting to insults.

Have a good day.

7 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 9:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

Do you believe ALL the men in this country know about such tests?

Kilode? Yes.

Except those who can't read and write.

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by babygirlfl: 9:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

Your drift indicates that this artificial cost is 'deliberately' done to prevent men from doing this test. And I'm of the opinion that artificial or not, that's not what the high price is about.

Just like many things in Nigeria, it is overpriced because the technology is foreign. It is that simple.

I bet you don't know how much simple tests that are easily gotten in developed countries also cost in Nigeria. Some people have even died because their diagnoses which takes a few days to get in other countries came in weeks and months late even when they started seeking medical help on time. How many DNA testing centers are in each state? How do you think it won't be expensive when we have so few serving so many?

It's not a deliberate hing being done against men like you believe. It's one of the unfortunate consequences of poor health care facilities.

The solution to the problem won't be just slashing the prices of tests. The whole sector needs overhaul. When it is relatively easy to access, the price cut will follow naturally.

Oga I don tire for the back and forth sha. Thank you at least for not being rude. One didn't know there are that many people left around who can converse without resorting to insults.

Have a good day.

True

2 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by babygirlfl: 9:23pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

I can't explain your second paragraph to you. You just have to look around and see for yourself.

Most women I know that support gender equality appreciate that with rights comes responsibility. Apart from restriction from mother nature and biological make-up, I do not believe there should be any other difference in the way men and women are treated, their worth , the tasks and roles they do.
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

Sorry I keep the last word.

The technology is foreign indeed. Something that has been developed to the point it can fit into your jean's small pocket is now an expensive technology. Hope you know man went to the moon in the 60s with less technology that's in a basic electronic watch.

There's nothing rocket science about it. You'd be surprised how mundane it is. You can fly from lag to abj for less that 30k. The technology that 30k buys you is more than that required to do the test.
In my main post, I explained why it is overpriced. Even you sided with it cus feared a routine paternity test attitude will sow a discord in the home.

The cost of paternity test is DELIBERATELY bloated to discourage lots of men from affording the test. The authorities feel if the test turns negative, the woman and child will be made to go look for the real baby daddy which may be very cumbersome especially if she's still nursing the infant.

The government knows the burden will find it's way to their shoulders in the form of dealing with kids that are menaces to society, having to cater for more people in the poverty band, etc. The government doesn't want that extra headache.

The way France does this is to outlaw the test entirely.

It is that simple.

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 9:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
babygirlfl:

Most women I know that support gender equality appreciate that with rights comes responsibility. Apart from restriction from mother nature and biological make-up, I do not believe there should be any other difference in the way men and women are treated, their worth , the tasks and roles they do.

Yea right. Equality indeed.

6 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 9:41pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

Kilode? Yes.

Except those who can't read and write.

Sure. Men that can't read and write are not human beings deserving of equal right.
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 9:46pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

Sure. Men that can't read and write are not human beings deserving of equal right.

If he has doubts concerning the paternity of his children, invariably he will find out that there are tests one can do to clear that. Whether he's illiterate or not. One with such questions will surely come upon someone that had heard of paternity tests.

What you're suggesting is nothing less than deliberately seeking out families and telling the fathers to go check if the kids are theirs.

No?

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

If he has doubts concerning the paternity of his children, invariably he will find out that there are tests one can do to clear that. Whether he's illiterate or not. One with such questions will surely come upon someone that had heard of paternity tests.

What you're suggesting is nothing less than deliberately seeking out families and telling the fathers to go check if the kids are theirs.

No?

It's possible you forget stuff you've addressed.

So I screen-grabbed it to show you that I have addressed that question before and you have replied it.

1 Like

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by cococandy(f): 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

It's possible you forget stuff you've addressed.

So I screen-grabbed it to show you that I have addressed that question before and you have replied it.

Never mind.
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 10:01pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:

Never mind.

Never did.
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by crackhaus: 10:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
Mikollon1:

Your memes got me bursting into laughter...not because it's new knowledge to me, but because the feminists and proponents of gender equality already know it to be true - however, they would faster jump in front of a moving train than dare admit to this pick & choose chess game called feminism a là gender equality.

5 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by babygirlfl: 2:33am On Aug 14, 2015
Mikollon1:

There was no need for the sarcasm. Can we have this discussion like mature people please?

I think you have missed the point just like many people. Gender equality is the state in which access to rights or opportunities is unaffected by gender. People both male and female would always have preference for the type of job they would like to do. Gender equality means they both have the opportunity and access to the type of job they want. It does not mean they should both represent half of the population of every job as there will always be male dominated jobs and female dominated jobs.

4 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 7:28am On Aug 14, 2015
babygirlfl:

There was no need for the sarcasm. Can we have this discussion like mature people please?

I think you have missed the point just like many people. Gender equality is the state in which access to rights or opportunities is unaffected by gender. People both male and female would always have preference for the type of job they would like to do. Gender equality means they both have the opportunity and access to the type of job they want. It does not mean they should both represent half of the population of every job as there will always be male dominated jobs and female dominated jobs.

All my memes convey facts and not satire.

Feminism is concerned with the social and economic equality with respect to females.

Egalitarianism is concerned with the social and economic equality for all humans regardless of gender, tribe, race, sexual orientation, religion etc.

So which are you? Based on ur definition, you are an egalitarian but confuse the definition with that of feminism.

You are right tho. Everyone should be free to aspire to careers they like. If a test is set and all 10 that pass are men, it should be allowed to stand. People shouldn't wonder why there are no females among the 10. People shouldn't mark down some men and mark up some women to artificially make the 10 reflect both genders. Those men that were marked down have all the right to have that job since they desired for it and passed the test.

So, you are right.

There shouldn't be gender quotas. People should be free to be what they want to be. Sexism should stop. If a man wants to be a nurse or Sunday school teacher, he should be free. He shouldn't be teased for it.
If there are 500 engineers and 480 are men, it is fine. Nobody should say there should be more women. Instead people should verify that there's nothing stopping women from being engineers or men from being nurses.

Quotas should be banned. Based on your argument, you agree. Am I right?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 14, 2015
cococandy:
@bold, if he's in doubt. Exactly. he has the right to know. Any law that says he can't is very unfair.

But If he's not in doubt, your ''encourage them to check" is the problem. If a man is not in doubt of his kids' paternity, what's a campaign geared towards telling each man to do that supposed to achieve?

Sow doubt in their mind or what?

Information they say is power.

Most people don't check in these parts cos they don't have the information on Hw to, I'm sure most would want to be doubly sure otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 14, 2015

4 Likes

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 10:54am On Aug 14, 2015
Nonso23:
Ah... OP you get time o!
grin

If you don't have the time to enlighten yourself about your rights and fight for it, who else do you think will have the time?
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
Bolded:

Information they say is power.

Most people don't check in these parts cos they don't have the information on Hw to, I'm sure most would want to be doubly sure otherwise.

You actually thought you addressed someone with a conscience? Go through her response to the thread: "you will cause friction or disturb the peace in marriages". Oh, the irony from someone who brandishes divorce like the blood of Jesus.

Who gives a flying fvck who's offended by paternity testing. I'd rather find out on day one who's child I'm about to father than realise I've been conned 16 years later. But no, it's all seen from the woman's perspective; the woman, it is, who could conveniently collect numerous dicks and cuckold an unsuspecting schmuck.

Keep the peace ko, kill the fish ni.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by TV01(m): 11:32pm On Aug 14, 2015
And they came to the BNOD thread to claim that hypergamy was only something that young girls did or Nigerians were concerned about. I responded that in the West it was legally institutionalised - this is just one more example of how.

And consciously or unconsciously, by default - due to our aping the West - or design, it has a foothold here. Any man that has reason to doubt the paternity of his children should take steps to determine the truth.

DNA tests can be carried out with swabs, hair or even toe nail clippings - this can be done reasonably stealthily - whatever the law says. In places where the price of the test may seem prohibitive, I'd ask what cost raising someone elses child for close to 24 years? Men be wise.

TV

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Kimoni: 11:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
Funny but insightful thread.

@ Mikollon1 - what is your old moniker?
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Mikollon1(m): 11:42pm On Aug 14, 2015
Kimoni:
Funny but insightful thread.

@ Mikollon1 - what is your old moniker?

Guess
Re: The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test by Kimoni: 11:46pm On Aug 14, 2015
Timbuktou:

One of the quickest ways to know a fraudulent feminist, and I think their all frauds, is listen to them closely. Once you hear "be a man", "be a gentleman", "be romantic", you know you're talking to a pretender. Sexism is abhored in feminism, which is why I'm baffled with feminists calling for the establishment of quotas in the corporate world to boost female participation. Hahahaha. Such equality. Their biggest fraud, which still grinds my gears, is the perpetuation of the gender pay gap which has been refuted by economists and even feminists and feminist apologies for decades, yet these equal women keep propounding this lie. I would take anything a feminist said with a grain of salt.

The average woman cannot do what the average man can do. Look at men and women born on the same day and given the exact same opportunities. Study their lives over a 50-year period, the results will be glaring.

You lie angry

Anybody can be whatever he or she wants to be. If she believes it strongly enough and wants it bad enough, she will do whatever a man can do.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Follow These Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Heart / 'Abacha' & Well-Water Suspected Sources Of Cholera Outbreak In Lagos / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.