Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,737 members, 7,824,089 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (785692 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 11, 2015
Please house, i am applying to a school for grad studies and i am told to input my social security number..as an international student what should i do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 11, 2015
Please, be careful with the credit card thingy. From my own point of view. You don't need a credit card for now. Its not really that easy to keep up with and there are rules behind having one and making payment. I strongly advice not to indulge in one. This is not like the normal Terms, rules and conditions you just sign without reading. Read it carefully.

You have enough time to build your credit score when you start working and earning constant pay. The stress of school and other stuffs is enough for you to bother about. I am not discouraging you. This is just an advice. I will advice you stay off credit cards till you're done with school.

When you're done with school and secure a job. Then you can obtain one and put your bills on it (rent, light, internet, insurance), with this you'll get a good credit score cos that alone should amount to nothing less than $700 monthly.

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 11, 2015
slimmy05:
Please, be careful with the credit card thingy. From my own point of view. You don't need a credit card for now. Its not really that easy to keep up with and there are rules behind having one and making payment. I strongly advice not to indulge in one. This is not like the normal Terms, rule
Bro i sent you a mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 8:03pm On Oct 11, 2015
slimmy05:
Please, be careful with the credit card thingy. From my own point of view. You don't need a credit card for now. Its not really that easy to keep up with and there are rules behind having one and making payment. I strongly advice not to indulge in one. This is not like the normal Terms, rules and conditions you just sign without reading. Read it carefully.

You have enough time to build your credit score when you start working and earning constant pay. The stress of school and other stuffs is enough for you to bother about. I am not discouraging you. This is just an advice. I will advice you stay off credit cards till you're done with school.

When you're done with school and secure a job. Then you can obtain one and put your bills on it (rent, light, internet, insurance), with this you'll get a good credit score cos that alone should amount to nothing less than $700 monthly.

Gbam!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 11, 2015
femi321:
Please house, i am applying to a school for grad studies and i am told to input my social security number..as an international student what should i do?
you don't need one, so tick not applicable
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kennyrony(m): 9:26pm On Oct 11, 2015
femi321:
Ignore it. you should see somthing like not applicable or so, tick it..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kennyrony(m): 9:29pm On Oct 11, 2015
godG:

Gbam!
Bro, how are you doing. longest time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2015
kennyrony:

Ignore it. you should see somthing like not applicable or so, tick it..
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
slimmy05:
you don't need one, so tick not applicable
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 10:02pm On Oct 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Sorry for the late response. I have been very busy.

Basically, you need a credit history to obtain a mortgage loan to buy a home in the US, auto loan to buy a car (most Americans who you see driving cars all have those cars on loans which they are paying back every month), or to move into certain apartments or part of certain job requirements. To build a credit history, you would need a credit card and you can check your credit score on http://www.creditkarma.com. Being a newcomer to the country, many major credit card companies would not approve you for the regular (secured) credit card Americans get but only for the secured credit card (a type of card where you have to load your own money in it, spend and re-load. Basically, you're spending your own money, as compared to unsecured cards that come with money already pre-loaded in it from the credit card company). However, you could still get approved for an unsecured credit card through referral. If you are someone who isn't too responsible with finances, your credit card doesn't have to be one of $1000 or $2000 limit. You can start with $500, make those purchases that you usually make with your ATM (debit) card and pay back every month. That's how you build a credit history. I started building my credit history a year ago and my score as of today is well in the 700s, with no late payments, utilization under 10%, no collections, very few credit inquiries etc. on my credit report. Basically, a good credit history indicates financial responsibility and being able to manage your finances maturely. Because of my good credit score so far, credit card companies and loan companies have been sending me offer letters inviting me to apply for their credit cards or loans for instant approval.

Credit scores range from 350 (bad borrower) to 850 (very dependable borrower). Scores in the 600 range are considered average and this is where many Americans fall into, scores in the 700 range are considered very good and you can get approved for just any loan with a score above 720, and those in the 800 range are considered exceptional (with every other thing being equal, this score takes several years and a mix of different credit account types to achieve). Any score below 600 is considered poor. As a first timer just building his credit history, your score would usually start from the 600s and depending on how well you use it, it could either go up or go down. Visit http://www.creditkarma.com regularly to check your score and report. Credit karma also helps you detect any fraudulent activity, not made by you, on your report, which you can always dispute to be taken off your report.

Do you have an SSN yet?
ya jus got ssn...i got a catering job oncampus....
maybe i need to call you...i stil got ur number though

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 10:08pm On Oct 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Sorry for the late response. I have been very busy.

Basically, you need a credit history to obtain a mortgage loan to buy a home in the US, auto loan to buy a car (most Americans who you see driving cars all have those cars on loans which they are paying back every month), or to move into certain apartments or part of certain job requirements. To build a credit history, you would need a credit card and you can check your credit score on http://www.creditkarma.com. Being a newcomer to the country, many major credit card companies would not approve you for the regular (secured) credit card Americans get but only for the secured credit card (a type of card where you have to load your own money in it, spend and re-load. Basically, you're spending your own money, as compared to unsecured cards that come with money already pre-loaded in it from the credit card company). However, you could still get approved for an unsecured credit card through referral. If you are someone who isn't too responsible with finances, your credit card doesn't have to be one of $1000 or $2000 limit. You can start with $500, make those purchases that you usually make with your ATM (debit) card and pay back every month. That's how you build a credit history. I started building my credit history a year ago and my score as of today is well in the 700s, with no late payments, utilization under 10%, no collections, very few credit inquiries etc. on my credit report. Basically, a good credit history indicates financial responsibility and being able to manage your finances maturely. Because of my good credit score so far, credit card companies and loan companies have been sending me offer letters inviting me to apply for their credit cards or loans for instant approval.

Credit scores range from 350 (bad borrower) to 850 (very dependable borrower). Scores in the 600 range are considered average and this is where many Americans fall into, scores in the 700 range are considered very good and you can get approved for just any loan with a score above 720, and those in the 800 range are considered exceptional (with every other thing being equal, this score takes several years and a mix of different credit account types to achieve). Any score below 600 is considered poor. As a first timer just building his credit history, your score would usually start from the 600s and depending on how well you use it, it could either go up or go down. Visit http://www.creditkarma.com regularly to check your score and report. Credit karma also helps you detect any fraudulent activity, not made by you, on your report, which you can always dispute to be taken off your report.

Do you have an SSN yet?

Do you have an SSN yet?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 10:25pm On Oct 11, 2015
kennyrony:
Bro, how are you doing. longest time

Baba mi, I dey alright o. How your side?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 11:31pm On Oct 11, 2015
warriboy21:

Do you have an SSN yet?

You can call anytime tonight or tomorrow night from 9pm when I'll be back from class.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrChris1(m): 2:58am On Oct 12, 2015
phalanah:
Hi all,

I was denied student visa in August 2015 with a community college I-20. The school deferred my admission to Spring 2016 and issued a new I-20. However, one of the universities I applied to previously received my SAT late and are currently processing my application for Spring 2016 (they said decision w/in 2 weeks).

I want to schedule my visa interview now because the interview dates are filling up quickly (earliest available date Oct 26th). My question is can I go ahead and schedule my visa interview using the community college for now and change it to the 4-year university when I receive their admission decision? I have filled my DS-I60 but I haven't submitted yet...again because I am waiting for 4-year university decision.

You thoughts and advice are appreciated. Thanks as always....I pray God will grant us all our heart desires.

Wait for a 4-year University as advised.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrChris1(m): 3:03am On Oct 12, 2015
femi321:

You only fill in N/A (Not Applicable).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrChris1(m): 3:13am On Oct 12, 2015
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 12:46pm On Oct 12, 2015
Hello house, Is it possible to send transcripts to WES by email from the University? or it has to be hard-copy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by freshboi34(m): 2:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
freshboi34:
Morning everyone, am currently studying electrical/electronics engineering in part5 doing my final exams..i need you guys to put me through procuring U.S visa for my masters program..would appreciate if ma enquiry it's being attended to....#firsttimeintheroom

@bigfrancis pls kindly enlighten me on this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
slimmy05:

thanks for the advice, he would have ear let him hear, it's get rough as you expend time in this États Unis o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
Warriboy21 what's up, mid term exams dey sey na open book, na one deceive naija boi,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
Shout to stewee, bartino, slimmy05, .....great guys, slimmy05 Bros you got mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 5:37pm On Oct 12, 2015
amanze15:
Warriboy21 what's up, mid term exams dey sey na open book, na one deceive naija boi,
na open book o..but 1 sha no b open book...
i luv indians smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by djmakson(m): 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2015
Mekurexx:
Hello house, Is it possible to send transcripts to WES by email from the University? or it has to be hard-copy

Hard copy bro. Hard copy!

Take time out to check their website www.wes.org to get details.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kennyrony(m): 8:14pm On Oct 12, 2015
amanze15:
Baba, how u dey. how that side na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kennyrony(m): 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2015
godG:

Baba mi, I dey alright o. How your side?
Fine bro, we they push am
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
happney65 buzz me on watsapp..we need to talk
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 8:48pm On Oct 12, 2015
Good day house, can somebody direct me how I can register for GRE. I already created a GRE account, checked on the seat available and clicked on register. From here I can only see the test center and address with time selected. Nothing else, does it mean that there is another way to go or there is an error. Pls kindly put me thru. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by happney65: 9:10pm On Oct 12, 2015
stevecrun:
happney65 buzz me on watsapp..we need to talk

Okay Boss..Would do
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 9:43pm On Oct 12, 2015
wiseman2392:
Good day house, can somebody direct me how I can register for GRE. I already created a GRE account, checked on the seat available and clicked on register. From here I can only see the test center and address with time selected. Nothing else, does it mean that there is another way to go or there is an error. Pls kindly put me thru. Thanks

Unfortunately, Nigerians or individuals testing in Nigeria cannot register for the GRE online. To register online, someone abroad has to help you out, which is cheap, or you register via an agency which is costlier.

I can help you pay if you're interested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 9:45pm On Oct 12, 2015
Mekurexx:

I think WES only accepts hard copies coming from the university. Or if you obtain your transcript and are going to send it yourself, you use your school's name and address as sender, not yours, or else WES will reject it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2015
freshboi34:
Morning everyone, am currently studying electrical/electronics engineering in part5 doing my final exams..i need you guys to put me through procuring U.S visa for my masters program..would appreciate if ma enquiry it's being attended to....#firsttimeintheroom

What CGPA are you expecting to graduate with?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by BloodyMitch(f): 9:53pm On Oct 12, 2015
quote author=bigfrancis21 post=38924425]

Unfortunately, Nigerians or individuals testing in Nigeria cannot register for the GRE online. To register online, someone abroad has to help you out, which is cheap, or you register via an agency which is costlier.

I can help you pay if you're interested. [/quote] who said that i registered online n paid online when i took mine, theres nothing like which is cheap is same price.

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.